Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Lurker

Re: Ask!

Post by Lurker »

Wow, I did not expect that quick an answer. Thank you.

Just in case you don't go back to look at the edit in my old post, here's my question again:

How would you feel about a fan continuation of KS? A KS2, if you will, but not developed by 4LS(although any former members would assuredly be welcome).

Note:This is NOT actual proposal, I'm just curious about how you feel about the idea in general. Let's assume that the proposing group looks well organized and able to complete a project of that magnitude.

Feel free to delete this post after you give your answer.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Lurker wrote:Wow, I did not expect that quick an answer. Thank you.

Just in case you don't go back to look at the edit in my old post, here's my question again:

How would you feel about a fan continuation of KS? A KS2, if you will, but not developed by 4LS(although any former members would assuredly be welcome).

Note:This is NOT actual proposal, I'm just curious about how you feel about the idea in general. Let's assume that the proposing group looks well organized and able to complete a project of that magnitude.

Feel free to delete this post after you give your answer.
We think it would be a bad idea, and would not allow it. If you want to make a VN, it's a great deal more worthwhile to build from your own imagination.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Pegaiai

Post by Pegaiai »

Sorry if this has already been asked, but while the stories end in the game, do the writers of each path have an idea for what happens in the story after the end, or did they just stop thinking about the stories once they finished writing them?
varasat

Post by varasat »

did you expect so much hype around this game? are most of the devs still /a/nons? when's katawa shonen comming ?XD
Priest

Post by Priest »

Hello

Okay so heres my question if it has bin asked then im sorry

so why did the devs decide you werent gonna make anymore games you guys are really great at it ?
In case of war hide in the trash can. it allways makes it unscratched somehow
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pegaiai wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but while the stories end in the game, do the writers of each path have an idea for what happens in the story after the end, or did they just stop thinking about the stories once they finished writing them?
Either way it is, we are not going to tell you.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

varasat wrote:did you expect so much hype around this game? are most of the devs still /a/nons? when's katawa shonen comming ?XD
Yes, we have been popular forever. I think only a couple devs ever visit 4chan.
katawaM@STER

Post by katawaM@STER »

First off, my thanks and congratulations to the team for completing the project. I'm still in the middle of playing but the game is very, very moving so far, especially Lilly's route. The professional-level soundtrack in particular leaves a big impression on me. I just wish the adult content were a little more stimulating...

As for my question:
You professed so far that you all had a definite passion for the project and are happy with the end result and its reception. I have no trouble believing that, considering the game's high quality. However, as long as I can remember it always felt to me that the development team's blog and forum posts had a sort of frustrated, angry edge to them a lot of the time, especially when it came to teamwork and coordination.
While I understand that a project of such an unusual nature is bound to annoy you some time (as you outlined with that hilarious "KS developer stage cycle" a while ago), I sometimes could not help but feel that many of you did not really like working on the game and with each other and were rather continuing the work out of spite and the things "at stake" and little more.
What's your stance on this and do you feel the quality of the game was in any way unnecessarily dragged down by any persistent troubles or negative experiences? Of course, please correct me if I got the wrong impression.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Priest wrote:Hello

Okay so heres my question if it has bin asked then im sorry

so why did the devs decide you werent gonna make anymore games you guys are really great at it ?
Some are tired, or might want to do something else for a change. If we want to make more games in the future, then we will.

Post by Guest »

When's Tanabata supposed to occur in relation to the summer break? In Lilly's route it occurs after summer break starts. In Shizune's it occurs before summer break starts. I normally wouldn't obsess over something so small but the Tanabata timing is the only thing stopping me from believing the events of United Nations and False Cadence occur at the same time. (which is important for figuring out what the baseline events are if Hisao basically weren't there)
Yo-yo

Post by Yo-yo »

Since money wasn't involved, what kept everyone motivated during the several years of development?
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

Aura wrote:
We think it would be a bad idea, and would not allow it. If you want to make a VN, it's a great deal more worthwhile to build from your own imagination.
No offense, but didn't KS start from another's work?
http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/v ... h=everyone

My point being that a spark of inspiration can be hard to find, and it still takes a lot of imagination to to flesh out a concept. Do you just feel too much emotional attachment to let anyone else make a sequel? I can understand if you do.

Sorry. Like I said, I don't plan on doing anything of this sort, but I feel I must advocate for those who might.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

katawaM@STER wrote:First off, my thanks and congratulations to the team for completing the project. I'm still in the middle of playing but the game is very, very moving so far, especially Lilly's route. The professional-level soundtrack in particular leaves a big impression on me. I just wish the adult content were a little more stimulating...

As for my question:
You professed so far that you all had a definite passion for the project and are happy with the end result and its reception. I have no trouble believing that, considering the game's high quality. However, as long as I can remember it always felt to me that the development team's blog and forum posts had a sort of frustrated, angry edge to them a lot of the time, especially when it came to teamwork and coordination.
While I understand that a project of such an unusual nature is bound to annoy you some time (as you outlined with that hilarious "KS developer stage cycle" a while ago), I sometimes could not help but feel that many of you did not really like working on the game and with each other and were rather continuing the work out of spite and the things "at stake" and little more.
What's your stance on this and do you feel the quality of the game was in any way unnecessarily dragged down by any persistent troubles or negative experiences? Of course, please correct me if I got the wrong impression.
Eh. I feel that people are VASTLY overinterpreting and comments I've seen like "all the devs hate each other" are wildly confusing and completely inaccurate. We just have a realistic perspective on ourselves and the work we do, and a good amount of self-deprecating humor and irony. Sure, finishing the game was important because otherwise a lot of work would've sort of gone to waste. That's not all, however. Yes, we did get frustrated and yes, we fought sometimes. We got stressed out or even burned out. In the worst times it might even have been something like what you described, maybe? But none of that means that we ever hated working on KS. We also laughed together every day, we made friends with each other. We helped each other, learned and improved together. The truth is, making something like this is really fucking hard work, with both good sides and bad. We experienced the full spectrum of it, every day for 5 years, on top of our real lives. Why did we do it? Was it out of spite? Or to prove something? Or because people expected it of us? No.

It was because we wanted to.
AdventChaos

Post by AdventChaos »

I initially made this account to ask a question shortly before Katawa Shoujos release, specifically about the picture in 2008 I believe it was (upon viewing I may or may not have climaxed in my pants but thats beside the point) of KS on the Nintendo DS. Before I even got to ask about it I saw a post that there were no plans to actually make a DS version which to me is unfortunate. Why come, pray tell?
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

Thank you for your time and effort into producing this game.
Being an avid listener since I was a toddler, I realized that everyone has "a story" that makes them who they are.
Katawa Shoujo reminded me of that thought as I listen to each girl's story and and I integrated these thoughts into my experiences with people.
It saddens me that I cannot pay back more than this thanks and being a better person.
(And being part of this brief moment where we all share this. I still remember my last happy moment with friends from 5 years ago even though we all drifted away)

Anyways
1. What font does Katawa Shoujo use? It's very cute.
2. Now that Katawa Shoujo is done, will you still read Visual Novels the same way? or differently?