Is it portable?

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Is it portable?

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Unlike Act 1, Is the full version able to be portable? That is, have the all of program and saves run from a single directory, like on a USB flash drive?
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Mirage_GSM

Re: Is it portable?

Post by Mirage_GSM »

No.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Nintendo Maniac 64

:(

Is it a limitation of Ren'Py or something?

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

No idea if it has to be that way or if Delta has simply made it that way, but the savegames are kept separate from the game files.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Nintendo Maniac 64

So it's just like Act 1 then.

I mean, if there's anyway to do it, it be through an "advanced option" or something. But the installer doesn't give any options at all...

Unless they're just secretly making a PortableApps version behind our backs. ;)

belinde

Post by belinde »

In Linux, the saved games are in .renpy directory in the home folder. I think in other operating systems ther is some similar directory. And I think that if you copy that directory you can manually transfer saving from one PC to another, but I havent tried.
Tanto più estendo l'isola della mia conoscenza,
quanto più scopro aumentare la linea costiera della mia ignoranza.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

On Windows I think they're in %APPDATA%/RenPy

Also, saves seemed to be incompatible between Linux and Windows the last time I tried.
Nintendo Maniac 64

I know where they're saved - that's not the problem.

The short version is I was hoping for a portable version so that I can run it from only a single drive/partition.

The long version is that I've made my PC incredibly silent, but unfortunately now my HDDs are quite loud and/or noisy in comparison, and I'm too poor for an SSD. For most things I make due just fine with a 16GB USB flash drive and a 384MB RAMDISK. But I can't do anything visual novels that don't put the saves in the program directory (which are actually few and far between), and...

wait, my "Application Data" folder is only 500MB! I've already edited my registry to change its location once, maybe I could put it on something else! My father's using a 1GB CF card with an IDE adapter as a cache-only partition, maybe I could use that somehow... (but he'd need more RAM for a ramdisk-cache to replace it, and I'd like to see you find where to get a 512MB stick of original DDR ram)

EDIT: NTFS-Compressed it's just under 400MB. Maybe if I can "trim some fat", I could even fit it onto another imaged RamDisk... (I mean, I could fit it even now, but I want to leave enough RAM to actually use as, ya know, RAM!)

EDIT 2: LAWL, 90% of that space is just my Minecraft saves. In that case all I have to do is run MC on my 64bit OS partition (which isn't "silent optimized" with ramdisks and stuff anyway). Another imaged RamDisk (and silent PC goodness), here I come!

EDIT 3: Yeah, without the Mine"crap" it's just under 60MB, but not even 35MB when NTFS-compressed.

X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

Actually, it IS portable, according to PyTom himself.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2248&p=31826

I tried it before with Act1 and worked like a charm. You can also copy your current save folder and rename it in that fashion instead of creating an empty one.

EDIT: oh wait, it was you who asked that before, on that thread. My bad. So you're saying that's not working anymore?
Nintendo Maniac 64

I just somehow missed that before. That's awesome! I'll give it a quick whirl and see if it is truly portable now (AKA doesn't touch my HDDs at all).

Though I've already set up the imaged ramdisk for AppData >_>. Perhaps it'll help with other programs...

EDIT: I just want to confirm that it definitely works. My hard drives were definitely turned off while reading KS.