Finnish translation? OH GOD NO

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Esa94

Finnish translation? OH GOD NO

Post by Esa94 »

...Just in case someone is interested, I translated some of the first scene to Finnish.

(Will continue if I get KS working on Arch Linux x64 .___.)
Merlyn_LeRoy

Re: Finnish translation? OH GOD NO

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

No, no, no, people keep asking the devs when it will be FINISHED....
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:No, no, no, people keep asking the devs when it will be FINISHED....
Dohohoho~

I like Finnish, it's like ogre-speak, but real.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

I don't know if calling Finnish ogre-speak is a compliment or not :/

Anyway, I translated the rest of Out Cold and all of Bundle of Hisao. (Except for the titles, which I won't be translating anyway.) I had some difficulties with redundant stuff and some words that apparently implied something but I dunno what. Also reworded some stuff just so it wouldn't become a crapload of anglicisms.

The link is the same, and will continue to be the same link from here to the point when I remove ks_projekti.txt n__n
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

1) There's a lot of funky stuff going around with your locales. Seems like you have UTF-8 on your own computer, but dropbox seems to interpret it as ISO-8851 or whatever the number was. Ends up being... very funky with the scandic letters.

2) Maybe I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but your translation is quite machine-like. Obviously it is not machine translated, but you have taken the easy way out at many turns, opting to neatly translating the words instead of translating the meanings.
Let me get an example...
"Ah, aivan... lappunen... sujautettu matematiikankirjani sivujen väliin kun en katsonut."
This is completely valid, more or less, but it's kind of clunky. Maybe it's just the imperfect used with the look-verb... (Also missing a comma there.) Round out the wordings, add a few extra words to keep it more Finnish and less English replaced with Finnish word equivalents.

"Ah, aivan... lappunen... joku oli sujauttanut sen matematiikankirjani sillä välin, kun en ollut katsomassa."
A possibility. I would personally go even further with modifying the actual sentence while keeping the context the same.
"Ah, aivan... lappunen... joku oli sujauttanut sen matematiikankirjani väliin poissaollessani."
This is quite pushing it, the original transcript never says anything about being away from the math book, but hey, seriously, how possible is it for someone to go unnoticed while slipping a piece of paper _inside_ your math book? Unless they hastedly just shoved it there while passing by, I don't really see any possibility. More likely Hisao has been away from his desk for a while, the book has been on the table and the girl has put the paper somewhere inside the book where he knows Hisao will look within the next hour or so.
Thus although the insides of the sentence have changed the idea is still very much the same, the sentence hasn't become unnecessarily long and most of all it's pretty solid on the info, no chance to do stupid interpretations. (Always presume the people looking at what you do are complete idiots! *grin*)

Another example.
"Ääni, jonka olen kuullut satoja kertoja, mutta vain sivustakuuntelijana."
I sort of don't like the way the sentence isn't quite full. It doesn't actually explain itself, but then again, that's the way it's in the original version, not really written out to be a story but more as someone's thoughts. (I would personally start the sentence with "Se oli ääni..." or something like that, but that's me writing more like a book and less like a visual novel, so actually your version is better on that one.)
There is, however, something I'd change. Currently the sentence says that Hisao has _heard_ the voice hunderds of times. He hasn't _listened_ to it. In my opinion there's a crucial difference in the semantics of the two words. Hearing a voice is an accident, happens all the time. Listening to a voice is no accident, you do it on purpose, you tune into it. You also left out the part about eavesdropping on a conversation. It's not necessarily needed in the translation, Finnish language works around that with the other words, but nevertheless worth of note; at the very least dropping something like that out shouldn't be done without much pondering. Though I suppose you have pondered on it, as you have deemed to leave it out as it can be left out *laugh*
Actually, in my version I decide to return the conversation part, works better around the particular choice of words:
"Ääni, jota olen kuunnellut satoja kertoja, mutta vain keskustelun ulkopuolelta."

Something around those lines. Of course I am no expert, I may have a bit more experience than you or maybe I don't. This is, in any case, only my opinion and as such I hope you don't take ill of it. Just... if you think I made good points, try to take them to heart and learn from them *smile* If you think I'm talking out of my ass, then you're welcome to a) argue with me about the issue and b) decide to not even look at my "corrections" ever again.
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

AapoAlas wrote:1) There's a lot of funky stuff going around with your locales. Seems like you have UTF-8 on your own computer, but dropbox seems to interpret it as ISO-8851 or whatever the number was. Ends up being... very funky with the scandic letters.
Interesting. Could be your browser settings, tho.
AapoAlas wrote: 2) Maybe I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but your translation is quite machine-like. Obviously it is not machine translated, but you have taken the easy way out at many turns, opting to neatly translating the words instead of translating the meanings.
I know rite? It's a clunky translation because I'm poor at translating stuff. Lots of English language constructs directly translated into Finnish.

But I'm doing it for the lulz, it doesn't really matter to me. If a translation like this was to be used somewhere, however, I would raeg. :D
AapoAlas wrote: "Ah, aivan... lappunen... joku oli sujauttanut sen matematiikankirjani sillä välin, kun en ollut katsomassa."
A possibility. I would personally go even further with modifying the actual sentence while keeping the context the same.
"Ah, aivan... lappunen... joku oli sujauttanut sen matematiikankirjani väliin poissaollessani."
Maybe something more like "jonka joku oli sujauttanut matematiikan kirjani väliin" would work. Again, the translation is crappy.
AapoAlas wrote: This is quite pushing it, the original transcript never says anything about being away from the math book, but hey, seriously, how possible is it for someone to go unnoticed while slipping a piece of paper _inside_ your math book? Unless they hastedly just shoved it there while passing by, I don't really see any possibility. More likely Hisao has been away from his desk for a while, the book has been on the table and the girl has put the paper somewhere inside the book where he knows Hisao will look within the next hour or so.
Thus although the insides of the sentence have changed the idea is still very much the same, the sentence hasn't become unnecessarily long and most of all it's pretty solid on the info, no chance to do stupid interpretations. (Always presume the people looking at what you do are complete idiots! *grin*)
Meh. Rewordings have to be done when translating because it just won't be as fluid without them. I might employ my usual writing strategy here (First write a draft, then refine it till it's good enough)
AapoAlas wrote: There is, however, something I'd change. Currently the sentence says that Hisao has _heard_ the voice hunderds of times. He hasn't _listened_ to it. In my opinion there's a crucial difference in the semantics of the two words. Hearing a voice is an accident, happens all the time. Listening to a voice is no accident, you do it on purpose, you tune into it. You also left out the part about eavesdropping on a conversation. It's not necessarily needed in the translation, Finnish language works around that with the other words, but nevertheless worth of note; at the very least dropping something like that out shouldn't be done without much pondering. Though I suppose you have pondered on it, as you have deemed to leave it out as it can be left out *laugh*
Unintentional. This semantic error in translation has simply gone unnoticed. And the eavesdropping was dropped simply because I couldn't think of a clever translation at 3 AM.
AapoAlas wrote: Actually, in my version I decide to return the conversation part, works better around the particular choice of words:
"Ääni, jota olen kuunnellut satoja kertoja, mutta vain keskustelun ulkopuolelta."

Something around those lines. Of course I am no expert, I may have a bit more experience than you or maybe I don't. This is, in any case, only my opinion and as such I hope you don't take ill of it. Just... if you think I made good points, try to take them to heart and learn from them *smile* If you think I'm talking out of my ass, then you're welcome to a) argue with me about the issue and b) decide to not even look at my "corrections" ever again.
The phrase "keskustelun ulkopuolelta" sounds somewhat unnatural to my ear - in my opinion, it's pretty much as clunky as my translation of it, although it's closer to the original sentence in meaning.
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

Oh yes, it was my browser. Should pick the log out of my eye before going to your eye for a toothpick, eh? *laugh* Had forgotten to set locale to UTF-8 from Chrome.

Yeah, working from a crude base and iterating it 'till it shines is an "easy" way to make a good finish, polish up all the edges and all that. Only problem with it is that if you want to actually translate the whole ordeal and you want to do it in iterations, you'll have a crapton of reading ahead of you *grin* Of course proof reading your stuff on other people eases up that a lot. Unfortunately they're probably just as lazy as the rest of us and thus they'll miss some obvious mistakes, forget to mark down some and just blatantly ignore smaller problems like a missing punctuation mark once in a blue moon or the likes. ie. not even that's perfect.

And yeah, the "keskustelun ulkopuolelta" was horrible even when I was patching it up. There's no good straight-up translation for eavesdropping on a conversation in Finnish, especially if you want to avoid reusing "kuunnella" in the same sentence. Must think moar and all that. In my defence I must say that I had to pick my hero in a Heroes of Newerth match and sort of had to rush the reply to an end *grin*
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Out cold tarkoittaa tajutonta, olla tajuttomana. Tässä yhteydessähän se viittaa juuri tuohon Hisaon pökertymiseen aktin lopussa, (luulisin). Ja kun se vielä tapahtuu "ulkona kylmässä" niin luulisin kehittäjien päätelleen "out coldin" siitä varsin sopivaksi sanaleikkiotsikoksi.

"Ulkona kylmä" on kuitenkin aika paska suomennos. Mitä siis sen tilalle? Ajattelin itse että "Maailma pimenee" voisi olla hyvä. Sen lisäksi että Hisaolla maailma todella pimenee luvun lopussa nupin pimettyä, se toimisi myös hyvänä kielikuvana siitä epävarmuudesta joka Hisaon maailman täyttäisi, kun hänen rytmihäiriönsä löydetään.

Think about it.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:Out cold tarkoittaa tajutonta, olla tajuttomana. Tässä yhteydessähän se viittaa juuri tuohon Hisaon pökertymiseen aktin lopussa, (luulisin). Ja kun se vielä tapahtuu "ulkona kylmässä" niin luulisin kehittäjien päätelleen "out coldin" siitä varsin sopivaksi sanaleikkiotsikoksi.

"Ulkona kylmä" on kuitenkin aika paska suomennos. Mitä siis sen tilalle? Ajattelin itse että "Maailma pimenee" voisi olla hyvä. Sen lisäksi että Hisaolla maailma todella pimenee luvun lopussa nupin pimettyä, se toimisi myös hyvänä kielikuvana siitä epävarmuudesta joka Hisaon maailman täyttäisi, kun hänen rytmihäiriönsä löydetään.

Think about it.
En käännä niitä otsikoita, juurikin sen takia ettei näitä englannin sanaleikkejä nyt yksinkertaisesti saa käännettyä järkevästi. (Ks. esim. hepreankielisen käännöksen ketju, siellä törmätty välillä kyllä pahempiinkin ongelmiin kuin tässä :P)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

...People, English on the public forums.

Unless you want to go official, in which case you ought to know what to do.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Silentcook wrote:...People, English on the public forums.

Unless you want to go official, in which case you ought to know what to do.
Alright, won't happen again. Just answered them in Finnish since they posted in Finnish. :P