Cripple Wonderland

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Minister of Gloom

Cripple Wonderland

Post by Minister of Gloom »

This one has been prowling around the forums out of sheer boredom when, but a few minuets ago, he has found out the most amusing discussion going on within a moderately old thread here: a comparison of Katawa Shoujo to, of all things, Lewis Carrol's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". Understandable, seeing as the game itself actually comments about the similarities between the two works at one point(If my memory serves right, I think it's during the Emi path that Hisao is sitting on his bed reading this book, and thinks that he is in a similar situation to Alice's in this strange "Cripple Wonderland"). One has suggested to split the thread so that the discussion might continue independently, but unfortunately enough this was not done and the discussion faded into forum oblivion. Since I find the idea way too awesome to just forget about like this, I think the time has come for an actual discussion to arise about that topic.

Well, here it is. Discuss the possible amusing/intriguing implications of a metaphorical or actual AAIW/KS crossover(hopefully, "AAIW/KS" isn't the name of a secret American military project, because it sure sounds like it). Fanfiction you have written, ideas, thoughts, suggestions, all go to this thread.

I shall begin by continuing from the point in which the last discussion ended: assigning Wonderland personas to various KS characters for a theoretical crossover story/for shit and giggles.
I suggest two possible patterns:
A.
Hisao- King of Hearts, not only making him Shizune's bitch, but also, well, it's hilarious. King of Hearts, arrhythmia, yes?
Emi- White Rabbit: runs around a lot, small, cute, not very intelligent. Problem: the rabbit is very pessimistic, Emi is... not. But, well, maybe it's just funnier this way.
Hanako- Mock Turtle: melancholy, misunderstood, lot's of angst.
Lilly- Alice. The appearance obviously fits(at least to the more well known, cartoon, Disney version of Alice. The actual Alice had short dark hair. So yeah), as well as some of the most obvious character traits(polite, kind, generous, friendly). Other personality traits are actually almost opposite(extremely reserved and relaxed versus childish and impulsive)
Rin- The Caterpillar, naturally enough. We all know Rin is actually constantly high anyway, and as a Caterpillar, it's very natural for her to have no hands(or feet, for the matter...). Plus, nonsense philosophy.
Shizune- Queen of Hearts, big time. This doesn't require too much explanation, I hope.
Misha- Cheshire Cat, always grinning like that and appearing from nowhere to dispense unconventional wisdom(or just laugh really loudly).
Kenji- Mad Hatter, because he is mad, and he has a hat(or so he claims).
B.
Hisao- Alice, because he is, after all, the hero of this tale and the one thrown into a strange and unknown place. Also, Hisao in a Victorian dress, how funny would that be?
Emi- Still a white rabbit.
Hanako- Dormouse. Moe, nigh invisible, and a part of the Mad Hatter's party(see below).
Lilly- Mad Hatter. Tea party!
Rin- Still a Caterpillar.
Shizune- Still the Queen of Hearts, because if I put her in any other role she will execute me.
Misha- Still a Cheshire Cat. Am I the only one who now imagines how a catgirl Misha would look?
Kenji- For now, no job for him. The notion of the dove(the one who constantly accuses Alice of being a snake because she eats eggs) amuses me, but I don't think this is right. Maybe Humpty Dumpty, but that's another book really.

Other minor characters, such as Yuuko, Mutou and Akira, currently don't fit into this all. If you put Lilly as Alice then Akira would make some sense as her sister, who appears very(very, very) briefly at the beginning. And the Nurse is obviously Lewis Carrol himself(also the Dodo, and possibly the White Knight), lovely, wise pedophile that he is.

Discuss on etc.

(have a nice day)

P.S. my personal opinion is that the recent film was abominable and a crime against all that is holy, but this is just me really. Nevertheless, I am extremely disappointed with Tim Burton, generally one of my favorite filmmakers.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
NoOne3

Re: Cripple Wonderland

Post by NoOne3 »

I wouldn't even try to discuss, since it's hard for me to relate both works (meaning KS and Alice), but I sure hopes all thoses shimmie dudes will take Your topic into thorough consideration, next time they will have something shimmied.

As to the Burton film, I found it rather mediocre job. Just trying to squeeze some money from 3D after Cameron's version of Pocahontas.

The American McGee's game was quite nice though.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minister of Gloom

Indeed, American McGee's Alice was a very good game for the time in which it was made. I can't wait for the sequel to come out.
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

This made me snicker... :P

Kenji should be the mad hatter in both instances, by the way. There's no other role that fits him... Besides, mental images of him shouting "FEMINIST CONSPIRACY!" during the tea party almost make me fall out of my chair XD
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
ElisaMasah

Post by ElisaMasah »

Leotrak wrote:This made me snicker... :P

Kenji should be the mad hatter in both instances, by the way. There's no other role that fits him... Besides, mental images of him shouting "FEMINIST CONSPIRACY!" during the tea party almost make me fall out of my chair XD
An we could have the pleasure to see ... A Manly Un-Birthday Party! No Cake, No Little Candle, No Napkin, Just Tea!.

I yet suggest info from the Tim Burton Movie and let Lilly be the White Queen since I belive she is Just As Evil as Shizune but with better Self Control (and PR).
When your teammate's in trouble, You go!
Whether they ask or not, You go!
Not knowing if you're coming back dead or alive, You go!
Knowing how deep the shrapnel's going to pierce your hide, You go!
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

ElisaMasah wrote:An we could have the pleasure to see ... A Manly Un-Birthday Party! No Cake, No Little Candle, No Napkin, Just Tea whiskey!.
Fixed that for ya.
Minister of Gloom

Q: Why is a raven like a writing desk?
A: I don't know, but it's obviously the work of the Feminists! They are cunning...
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Leotrak wrote:This made me snicker... :P

Not the Mad Hatter, I don't think. I rather like Lilly in that role. However, Kenji as the March Hare might work! The original English phrase "mad as a march hare" referred to excitable and unpredictable people. Not to mention in the recent Tim Burton version, the hare was prone to sudden bursts of violence, throwing things all over, and his train of thought was all over the place. I also think Kenji would be rather funny to watch in a tea party surrounded by girls.

In general I prefer the OP's "B" list :D
My biggest gripe with the "A" list would be Lilly as Alice. While her personality is a great fit, half of Wonderland would be lost on a blind person. All the visual puns would be lost, and talking plants/animals would have almost no point if she just heard them and thought they were people. She couldn't even see the "eat me" and "drink me" items in the very first room. :P
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Minister of Gloom

In general I prefer the OP's "B" list
My biggest gripe with the "A" list would be Lilly as Alice. While her personality is a great fit, half of Wonderland would be lost on a blind person. All the visual puns would be lost, and talking plants/animals would have almost no point if she just heard them and thought they were people. She couldn't even see the "eat me" and "drink me" items in the very first room.
Oooohey. Good point there. Interesting point here: some claim that Wonderland is a dream(or at least represents Alice's subconscious in some other way). Would an Alice blind from birth get a braille, completely dark, "blind friendly" version of Wonderland?
interesting. But yes, I guess in the end Hisao is both funnier and more appropriate. And Lilly as the Mad Hatter would be quite hilarious.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Minister of Gloom wrote:
My biggest gripe with the "A" list would be Lilly as Alice. While her personality is a great fit, half of Wonderland would be lost on a blind person. All the visual puns would be lost, and talking plants/animals would have almost no point if she just heard them and thought they were people. She couldn't even see the "eat me" and "drink me" items in the very first room.
Oooohey. Good point there. Interesting point here: some claim that Wonderland is a dream(or at least represents Alice's subconscious in some other way). Would an Alice blind from birth get a braille, completely dark, "blind friendly" version of Wonderland?
interesting. But yes, I guess in the end Hisao is both funnier and more appropriate. And Lilly as the Mad Hatter would be quite hilarious.
And don't forget that Hisao as Alice would give some people an excuse for drawing him in a dress... :wink:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Minister of Gloom

Bara wrote:
Minister of Gloom wrote:
And don't forget that Hisao as Alice would give some people an excuse for drawing him in a dress... :wink:
As I have already said, this will be something for all of us to wait for. Surely there is someone on this forum weird enough to do that...?

Also, it just hit me: Mutou is the gryphon and Yuuko is the mock-turtle! It all makes sense now!
And if Shizune is going to be the QoH, everybody better learn the signs for "Off with his head!", because she is not going to have Misha around this time(fortunately, of course, the Queen of Hearts doesn't really need to communicate much beyond "obey!" and "off with his head!", though)
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

"Off with (someone's) head" is easy enough to mime, just do a throat-cut motion and point to someone's head.

Lilly should be Alice, they both wear opaque white stockings.