KS Heroines: Goddess Versions

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Bara

KS Heroines: Goddess Versions

Post by Bara »

Since the Heroines of KS have been compared to foods, D&D characters, and sine waves I figure it is time to move the public discussion to a "higher plane". :D

(This idea came around in some PM's and I suggested it would make some fun discussion in the forums, but the other person was too shy to create a new topic. So I took their name out to avoid any pressure on them.)
Xxxxxxx wrote: Man, imagine the girls as goddesses... It would be awesome! Hm... Would they all be greek goddesses? Or would there be other cultural influences? Man, the number of things to talk about regarding them seems endless.
Bara wrote:Hmm, well with Emi I see an analog to Mercury. She would need to add some wings to her prosthetics but then they allready did Emi with the legs from "StrikeWitches" in the Photoshop thread in the forums.

Lilly I see as a Goddes of the Hearth. She strikes me as trying to be very motherly towards everyone. Not that it allways works with everyone, like Shizune and Rin. (I guess even Mother Goddeses have their 'Problem Children'.)

Rin I think would be more of a Muse of Art than a Goddess.

For Shizune Norse mythology might be better. Freya? A Valkerie? (She does have the bossom for a classic Valkerie.)

Hmm, for Hanako I think her main attribute would be invisibility. Not sure what mythos to pull that from. Calling her a Goddess of Thieves would be kinda rude to her.

Uhh, for Misha I think the Norse pantheon would have be used for Loki of the Silver Tongue and she just seems a little bit chaotic too with all her Wahahahahaha-ing and such.

Anyway go ahead and start a thread on the forums if you want. It would be good to have a new idea to kick around.
Later on another suggestion for Hanako was a Nature Spirit like a water sprite of some sort. It sure seemed more appropriate than my first suggestion.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
HeMeido

Re: KS Heroines: Goddes Versions

Post by HeMeido »

I'll put Shizune down as the Morrígan and Lilly as Hera.
Blue123

Post by Blue123 »

This belongs in the oekaki section, dawg. Moved.
Deimos

Re: KS Heroines: Goddess Versions

Post by Deimos »

Finally something more along the lines of my area of expertise. :mrgreen:

Vesta was an original Roman goddess of the family and the hearth. The temple of Vesta was a prominent place that featured the Vestales a group of virgins who were picked from a young age and were according to legend very beautiful (although some scriptures hint at the fact that the priestesses had to be shaven bald). These priestesses had the right to forgive any punishment since Vesta was a goddess of nurture and forgiveness and they had the duty to keep the eternal hearth flame of Vesta alive (a tradition that the Catholic Church has taken over).
Vesta - Lilly

Shizune would be Athena - a goddess that was not only prominent for her wisdom but also for her prowess in war where she was considered as the calculating and sophisticated side of war (whereas Ares was more or less a god of battle and carnage). Her clashes with other gods such as Poseidon and Ares are quite well known and may represent the the competitive drive we all know and love in regards to our favourite student council president.

The Greek goddess Nike represents the aspect of victory, success and effort not limited to peaceful things but mostly revered for them - she is famous for being portrayed on Olympic medals and as the namesake of a well known firm that produces sport's items. She would be a suitable goddess for Emi.

Now, if I wanted to joke I'd say Hanako may think of herself as Medusa, one of the three Gorgon sisters.
One Norse goddess might do the job better, though: Hel. If I am not mistaken I think she was described as half-burnt as black as coal in one of the works I have read about that subject. She also lives alone and shuns the society of the other gods. Well, she rules the underworld and considering how much 4chan likes her ... :wink:

Rin, due to her aloofness and mystery which surround her is most likely one of the simple gods of an old and forgotten pantheon. Gaia is a candidate for her. There is not much known about the worship of this goddess and her abilities but she is the original mother goddess of the Greek pantheon (together with her male counterpart Uranus) and emcompasses the simple aspect of Earth. Taking fertility (and I count creation as the first and purely original form of art), simplicity (She does not consider herself that special, rmember?) and mystery (not much scritpures or oral traditions remained about her since she is one of the primordial gods) into account I think it might fit.
Gaia also gave birth to the Titans and acts as prison for these monstrous enemies of the Greek pantheon - cue menstruation joke here!
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Can't we keep this all to one thread? This is really ridiculous.
Bara

Post by Bara »

EternalLurker wrote:Can't we keep this all to one thread? This is really ridiculous.
Keeping everything to one thread is fine; except I wasn't looking for "Wacky and Zany" responses. I was looking for comments on just this one concept and not for wide open, rambling discourse.

Then of course, you can make a case to combine all these comparison threads into the original "What type of food/flavor are the characters" thread. :mrgreen:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

EternalLurker wrote:Can't we keep this all to one thread? This is really ridiculous.
That thread is used for outlandish and freakish comparisons. One of the synonyms I found for zany was "clownish" - and I don't know about you but I think clowns are one hell of a scary bunch - just like people who compare girls with non-sinusoidal waveforms and wars are scary :mrgreen:

So while the wacky and zany thread is reserved for our more abstract ideas (and with no discussion of them) I can see this thread with enough people interested in mythology really becoming a place of discussion rather than some dumping place for lists.
On that point: Bara, I'd say Mercury is not a good choice for Emi. Mercury is also the god of merchants and liars - more known for his tricks he played on other gods rather than his speed. Artemis or Diana and their hunting aspect are far more referenced for their speed and the friendly, competitive aspect of a hunting party is often associated with them, plus, they are female goddesses (and uncatchable virgins). Also a life-size statue of a naked hunting goddess with running blades instead of legs would make a far better statue for the Rinfidel's "Slingblade Gawdess", right?
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
corona borealis

Post by corona borealis »

I think that the norse goddess Skadi would suit Shizune well. Goddess of winter and the hunt, she also represents justice, vengeance, and righteous anger.

Keeping with the motherly theme for Lilly, Frigga wife of odin and mother of all seems fitting.

Hel, as Hanako fits very well in my opinion. The goddess of the dead and the afterlife, and was portrayed by the Vikings as being half-dead, half alive herself. The Vikings viewed her with considerable trepidation. The Dutch, Gallic, and German barbarians viewed her with some beneficence, more of a gentler form of death and transformation. She is seen by them as Mother Holle; a being of pure Nature, being helpful in times of need, but vengeful upon those who cross her or transgress natural law. But to me she'll always be Gerd, goddess of light and the most beautiful of all creatures.

Emi would probably be suited to Eir, the goddess of healing, and considered the best doctor. She taught her art to women who were the only physicians in ancient Scandinavia. Only because her path (at least what we see of it) Deals most directly with Hisao's road to good health.

Rin is just plain difficult to place...

but for lack of any better ideas I suppose that the goddess Snotra will suffice, she is a wise and gentle goddess who knew the value of self-discipline. She's hardly defined at all and only mentioned briefly in the Prose Edda but still... for the sake of completeness...
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

corona borealis wrote:Hel, as Hanako fits very well in my opinion. The goddess of the dead and the afterlife, and was portrayed by the Vikings as being half-dead, half alive herself. The Vikings viewed her with considerable trepidation. The Dutch, Gallic, and German barbarians viewed her with some beneficence, more of a gentler form of death and transformation. She is seen by them as Mother Holle; a being of pure Nature, being helpful in times of need, but vengeful upon those who cross her or transgress natural law. But to me she'll always be Gerd, goddess of light and the most beautiful of all creatures.
Excuse me, if I may appear as a smart ass but Mother Holle derives from another mother goddess and is essentially an amalgam of several gods rather than an evolved form of Hel - compare the Grimm Brother's story 'Mother Hulda' (= Mother Holle) for the most famous (but fairy-tale-bastardized) portrayal to Hel and you won't find any semblances of Hel other than ruling a different plane of existence.
And as much as I favour Hanako I have another point. Admittedly, it has been some years since I have read the Edda and other books about Norse mythology but was not Baldr the god of light and beauty?

It's quite hard to find a pantheon that would gie us enough supernatural beings to do all the girls justice. Is there anyone here with some knwledge about the Hindu pantheon and their over 3,000,000 gods? :)
corona borealis

Post by corona borealis »

Corrections are perfectly welcome. It's been quite some time since i studied Norse mythology. Yes Baldr was the god of light and beauty, but Gerd was the giantess/goddess of sex and fertility. (though there were quite a few figures in charge of that...) But if memory serves correct her beauty was such that merely the sight of her bare arms would light the skies. She was married to Freyr after he threatened to freeze the earth.

My knowledge of Hinduism is limited at best, but I am familiar with a handful of the pantheon.

Also the limitations of goddess are a bit stifling. There are a few gods who'd suit the girls well.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Ah, I see my mistake now. I kept forgetting that the very concept of beauty of Norse mythology was divided between a male ideal and a very different female one. Furthermore the name Gerd was kind of misleading because she is written a little bit different in my mother tongue.
corona borealis wrote:Also the limitations of goddess are a bit stifling. There are a few gods who'd suit the girls well.
If Bara would agree, because this is his thread, I'd urge you to elaborate.
Bara wrote:Later on another suggestion for Hanako was a Nature Spirit like a water sprite of some sort. It sure seemed more appropriate than my first suggestion.
Actually, I might be in the situation to present a suitable example. Norse mythology gives accounts of female water nymphs who were called Undine. They do not have burns or any physical disability but they have proabably the biggest handicap I have heard of - they are born without a soul.
In order for an Undine to gain this invaluable object she has to marry a man and be eternally faithful to him. Since many people consider Hanako's scenario to be that of a shining knight rescuing the poor damsel in distress it might apply.