Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

azumeow

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by azumeow »

bhtooefr wrote:
Of course, overlaid on top of this is the whole factor that... if the kid is Hisao's too, there's more to worry about. I think Lilly wouldn't let that affect her decision to have kids, Rin wouldn't have specifically decided to have kids, and Shizune would adopt regardless... but Hanako and Emi? They know damn well what it's like to lose a parent, and they may decide not to have kids with Hisao specifically. Actually, now I'm seeing Emi leaving Hisao over that, to find someone else to father her children. Hanako would just decide not to have them, I think.
For Emi, I don't think she'd actually end their relationship over it, especially considering just how much Hisao's condition improves with her. Along with the advances in medical technology (we have Harlequin babies in their thirties and with kids, dangnabbit!) Hisao might live to be 50-70 years old easily. And if they have kids before they're 30, that would at least leave them as adults at the LOWER end of that spectrum, and fully-adjusted by the later end.

As for Hanako...I could actually see that being an issue. Especially if Hanako just goes full-on grief mode when/if Hisao dies...
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

azumeow wrote: For Emi, I don't think she'd actually end their relationship over it, especially considering just how much Hisao's condition improves with her. Along with the advances in medical technology (we have Harlequin babies in their thirties and with kids, dangnabbit!) Hisao might live to be 50-70 years old easily. And if they have kids before they're 30, that would at least leave them as adults at the LOWER end of that spectrum, and fully-adjusted by the later end.
Add to this the possibilities that genetic testing, in vitro-fertilization, and old fashioned adoption bring to the table, I would see a 0.0001% chance of Emi leaving Hisao over paternity issues. (Unless, of course the paternity issue in question is Rin's "Oops" baby. :twisted: )
azumeow wrote:As for Hanako...I could actually see that being an issue. Especially if Hanako just goes full-on grief mode when/if Hisao dies...
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending upon your perspective), the grief issue over Hisao's untimely death would be unconnected to their having children. That is to say, either they have children before he goes the eternal library, or they don't.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:
azumeow wrote:As for Hanako...I could actually see that being an issue. Especially if Hanako just goes full-on grief mode when/if Hisao dies...
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending upon your perspective), the grief issue over Hisao's untimely death would be unconnected to their having children. That is to say, either they have children before he goes the eternal library, or they don't.
Yeah, now that I re-read that, I'M not even sure where I was going with that....
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:...before he goes the eternal library, or they don't.
Wait, have you been reading my latest notes? :shock:
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

As interesting as the hypothetical scenario of tricking Hisao into having a child is, and as well done it likely is in that fanfic, I highly, highly doubt she would actually do that if we put all of the characters in real life and sent Hisao down her route. There's PTSD, and then there's that. It takes a very different level of messed up to do that.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Umber

Post by Umber »

brythain wrote:
No, you just happen to write about everything. But we love you for that. :wink:
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
El Zilcho

Post by El Zilcho »

I could see Emi going one of two directions regarding having children with Hisao:

- Knowing what it's like to lose her father at a young age, and with the possibility of Hisao dying young even if he takes care of his health, Emi is reluctant to have a family with him. It becomes a major issue between them, potentially destroying their relationship if Emi starts putting up her defenses again.
- Knowing that Hisao could potentially die at a young age, Emi presses to start a family as soon as possible. That way, their children are more likely to be older and/or grown up before Hisao passes away.

As for the others, I'd imagine both Lilly and Hanako would want children someday. Teaching younger kids would probably satisfy Lilly's maternal instincts for awhile, but she'd eventually want one of her own. And I just can't see Hanako getting 'freaked out' or having a PTSD attack or something because of her own child; she was already getting over that a bit by her good end and would likely be even better adjusted by the time she and Hisao would get to having kids. I can't imagine Hanako being an overprotective parent either, given how much she hates being coddled herself.

Rin, I don't imagine she'd ever actively pursue having children, but she'd likely go along with it if Hisao wanted a child or if it just 'happened' by accident.

Shizune probably wouldn't even consider having children until either she's established her career and/or seeing her peers having children triggers her competitive streak and she decides to prove she'd be a better mother than them. At which point, Hisao would need to make sure he's taking his medication, to avoid a heart attack from over-exertion, when Shizune decides they'll be having a 'competition' to see how quickly he can get her pregnant.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Umber wrote:
brythain wrote:
No, you just happen to write about everything. But we love you for that. :wink:
Aww. That got me in the feels… *wanders off to the 'Types of emotional reactions to KS' thread to cry* :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

El Zilcho wrote:I can't imagine Hanako being an overprotective parent either, given how much she hates being coddled herself.
Although, I see Hanako as being rather hypocritical about the white knighting thing, myself, and other interpretations agree on that.

Basically, I could see her being a helicopter parent right up until her kid revolts... and then she realizes that she was doing what she would hate being done to her the most.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:Basically, I could see her being a helicopter parent right up until her kid revolts... and then she realizes that she was doing what she would hate being done to her the most.
I think I'd see her as a stereotypical Asian parent: 'Don't touch dirty things!' 'Don't play with fire!' 'Get all your homework done!' 'Remember you have piano lessons at 3 pm, then swimming at 5 pm!' :D
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

She canonically has experience raising infants and toddlers (from helping out at the orphanage), and I could see her wanting a Normal Family™, but it was elementary and middle school children that were her tormentors, and if she had a kid, she'd be unable to escape from that kid.
Hanako helping the staff out with the younger children at the orphanage, as well as her fondness of dolls, makes me think she has a motherly streak of her own. Cpl_Crud also once mentioned he thought Hanako'd be a great mom someday. That said, she'd need to sort some stuff out for herself. At the stage she's at at the end of KS though, I don't think she'd be very suitable yet. Personally, I don't think the bullying would make that much of a difference. Quite a few people got bullied as kids, but very few make that a reason for not wanting children.
Of course, overlaid on top of this is the whole factor that... if the kid is Hisao's too, there's more to worry about. I think Lilly wouldn't let that affect her decision to have kids, Rin wouldn't have specifically decided to have kids, and Shizune would adopt regardless... but Hanako and Emi? They know damn well what it's like to lose a parent, and they may decide not to have kids with Hisao specifically. Actually, now I'm seeing Emi leaving Hisao over that, to find someone else to father her children. Hanako would just decide not to have them, I think.
I'm not so sure about that. Both Emi and Hanako are extremely well aware of Hisao's condition and have both lost loved ones in the past, but in the end they both embrace Hisao as a partner, deciding not to worry about his condition and just hope for the best which is a very big thing to both of them. I don't see why that same mindset can't play a similar role in their choice to have kids.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I don't really see why Hanako could not be a good mother. :? (of course, still eventual problems, but many orphans and bullied ones are good parents)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
brythain

Post by brythain »

Zarys wrote:I don't really see why Hanako could not be a good mother. :? (of course, still eventual problems, but many orphans and bullied ones are good parents)
Actually, I don't see why any of them could not be a good mother at all. I suspect that to a large extent humans have many different ideas about what constitutes a good mother, and we tend to go into deficit thinking: constructing a model of the ideal mother according to our desires and then thinking about the gap between our ideal mother and the likely mother we're going to find.
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

brythain wrote:
Zarys wrote:I don't really see why Hanako could not be a good mother. :? (of course, still eventual problems, but many orphans and bullied ones are good parents)
Actually, I don't see why any of them could not be a good mother at all. I suspect that to a large extent humans have many different ideas about what constitutes a good mother, and we tend to go into deficit thinking: constructing a model of the ideal mother according to our desires and then thinking about the gap between our ideal mother and the likely mother we're going to find.
They could all potentially be good mothers. But they will have obstacles to overcome. Emi would be too clingy, yet simultaneously detached. Rin would be too spacey and consumed by the day's given fixation. Shizune...Would lead a home boot camp, more or less, with her competition lifestyle. Shizune is a prime candidate for wife swap, actually. XD

Hanako's issues wouldn't affect motherhood so much, really. Is she going to teach her kids to be skittish reclusive types? Unlikely. If anything, if her kids are bullied, she may bring down the wrath of the gods on the culprits and scare them straight. :lol: And Lilly's only obstacle would be explaining blindness to her kids, assuming they did not inherit the trait themselves (I'm not sure how blindness works).
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I agreed but I think there is a emphasis about Hanako because most people are apparently more tolerant, confident and understanding toward those with physical problems than toward those with psychological problems. :? (even if I think the mental issues of Hanako aren't comparable in severity with the physical issues of the other girls or a mental disability/severe mental illness; it's weird that most seems to makes a greater deal with Hanako's problem for the education of a children than the physical issues about Rin,for example : it could be problematic, but not more insurmontable than any another girls)

For the reaction of Hanako if her children are abused by other children ... is that I'm the only one to think it's a healthier reaction than parents that don't cares about it ? :lol:
Last edited by Zarys on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair