Katawa Shoujo 1.1 beta

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

delta
Feels Badman

Katawa Shoujo 1.1 beta

Post by delta »

Image ATTENTION: There is no new content in this. Do not whine about no new content being in this. Image
Image This is only for testing of the engine. If you expect anything new or are not technically inclined enough to deal with no installer and manually copying over the asset pack, do not even download. Image

Katawa Shoujo 1.1b (engine test beta)

This is an asset-less engine test release of a port to the KS codebase to Ren'Py 6.15.

* Goal

6.15 should generally be faster and work better on current operating systems. It also adds
the ability to resize the game window. If found to be working correctly, this will be the
engine version used for any further KS releases and translations going forward.

* Installing

There is no installer and no OS-specific versions for this release, and it is not complete.
To use it, you have to copy the file data.rpa from Katawa Shoujo 1.0 to the /game folder.
Then launch the correct executable for your operating system.

* Purpose

This release adds nothing but an updated engine (apart from maybe a few typo fixes) and is
not intended for a general audience; the purpose is to go though it and see if anything is
different from the 1.0 release. If it is, it's probably an error. The most insidious and
likely bugs are glitches in the graphics display, since Ren'Py's display subsystem changed
heavily, but please report any deviation in the game presentation and general look and feel
that you notice. Crashes are obviously also important. Please report any discrepancies in this
thread.

* Download

http://dl.katawa-shoujo.com/testing/Kat ... 1b-all.zip
Flutterz

Re: Katawa Shoujo 1.1 beta

Post by Flutterz »

Love you guys for adding window resizing, now it's playable on my netbook when previously it either cut off half the text, or was horizontally stretched in fullscreen mode. That having been said, it seems that the initial load time has gone up a bit. I recall the old version taking about a minute to start on my netbook, while this version took 2 minutes. Of course it could be that it hasn't gotten any younger, so I'll test out the old version later to make sure.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Other than the fact that I can't see the mouse while in full screen mode, I haven't noticed any bugs as of yet.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Brisingr wrote:Other than the fact that I can't see the mouse while in full screen mode, I haven't noticed any bugs as of yet.
It's probably on your desk.

But seriously, what OS are you on?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Here's a minor bug that could be a RenPy bug. This is on a late 2006 17" iMac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

When I launch in windowed mode, I have two menus on the menu bar: Katawa Shoujo and Window

The Window menu starts with two entries, "Minimize" and "Katawa Shoujo" (which has a checkmark). This is apparently for VNs that have multiple windows.

Every time I change to fullscreen mode and back, another "Katawa Shoujo" is added to the Window menu. Same thing if I resize the window manually. If I minimize the window, I get a new "Katawa Shoujo" when I un-minimize it, but the extra "Katawa Shoujo" is only added the first time I do this.

If I select any "Katawa Shoujo" entry except the last one, I get a blank window the same size as the real game window, and the game crashes in a few seconds. If I select the last "Katawa Shoujo" entry, that is apparently the real game window and it's fine. If I minimize the game window, the last entry is tagged with a diamond to show I can un-minimize it.

It looks like resizing and the first minimize creates, or thinks it creates, an additional new window.

PS: This is a RenPy bug; trying version 6.14.1 and using Renpy's tutorial game, it does exactly the same thing.

PPS: For people testing this:
A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html
(KS is going from 6.10.2e to 6.15.4.320)
A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html
For example, in 6.15, the Macintosh version of Ren'Py now requires a 64-bit capable processor, and Mac OS X 10.6 or newer.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

delta wrote:
Brisingr wrote:Other than the fact that I can't see the mouse while in full screen mode, I haven't noticed any bugs as of yet.
It's probably on your desk.

But seriously, what OS are you on?
Windows 7 running on an HP laptop. Probably should have mentioned that in my first post.
Eadwacer

DirectX error (Win 7)

Post by Eadwacer »

Download and install went fine. Went to folder, clicked .exe

Got the first splash screen, clicked on it. A couple seconds later got the second (black) screen, but without the crawling worm, and no sound.

Windows then threw an error that DirectX was out of date. Downloaded and installed update. Told it to continue, and got a Windows Exception.
It wouldn't let me copy/paste, but I have attached a screen shot. The last line was:
/////////////////////////
/home/tome/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py, line 896, in_execute_child WindowsError: [Error193]%1 is not a valid Win32 program

Win 7.6.1.7601-SP1
RenPy 6.15.4.320
///////////////////////

Interesting that it mentions lucid (Ubuntu?)

Quit the game and restarted. Got the DirectX warning again. This time I told it to hack on regardless. Black splash screen came up, with no sound and no vid. Then it brought the startup menu and we were off.

Opening flash sequence ran OK. Graphics were sometimes a little jerky. Sound had some skips, particularly in the heartbeat screens.

Note that the attached error screen was only encountered on Resume Game after the DirectX update.

Stopped. Saved. Wrote this.

////////////////////////////
Running 32bit version of Win7 on a refurbished 2.99GHz Pentium D w/4GB RAM. No graphics card. Intel Q965/Q963 chipset. Monitor is ViewSonic VA1931wa.

Note that KS1.0 runs fine (I may have gotten the DirectX warning when I first used it, but not any more)

////////////////////////////
Next day: Restarted game from save point. Same DirectX warning. The heart attack/hospital flash sequence gave me a black screen. Sound OK. Mouse pointer would disappear when I ran it over the window. Video came back automatically for the text portion of the game. Same results for both standard window and full screen modes. The hospital to school transition was a blank white screen, with sound. Video came back for the arrival at the school.
///////////////////////////
In response to: delta » Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 am , tried updating the Intel drivers but they were already up-to-date.
Attachments
DirectX error on resume after update
DirectX error on resume after update
KSDirectXError.png (99.75 KiB) Viewed 19183 times
Last edited by Eadwacer on Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rikabro

Post by Rikabro »

Wait, I'm confused. Is there new content or not?
Writer for Familiarity. I also have an anime blog.
DRKO

Post by DRKO »

At first glance, the beta seems to work okay. I'll do some more extensive testing over the weekend when I have time for it, measuring both memory and CPU usage, looking for glitches, etc.

I like that I can play fullscreen now; it wasn't available with the earlier release.
ToasterTheorist

Post by ToasterTheorist »

May as well dust off my account for this.
Works fine and boots slightly faster than original. (for me at least.) It also now works with the Steam overlay, which is nice.
Persistent data can be imported from 1.0; saves cannot, as they produce this:
traceback.txt wrote: File "game/ui_labels.rpy", line 853, in script
File "game/ui_labels.rpy", line 853, in script
ScriptError: could not find label '('/Developer/Projects/ks_svn/Katawa Shoujo/game/_ui_early.rpy', 1319837805, 14)'.
-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\main.py", line 328, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\main.py", line 90, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\execution.py", line 509, in run_context
context.run()
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
node.execute()
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1231, in execute
next_node(renpy.game.context().lookup_return(pop=True))
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\execution.py", line 382, in lookup_return
return renpy.game.script.lookup(label)
File "C:\Users\user\Desktop\Katawa Shoujo-1.1b-all\renpy\script.py", line 537, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(label))
ScriptError: could not find label '('/Developer/Projects/ks_svn/Katawa Shoujo/game/_ui_early.rpy', 1319837805, 14)'.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.15.4.320
Yes, I tried making a save and loading it. Seems to be something they changed/forgot to remove in one of the versions. Probably shouldnt've imported the saves either way.
Dammit, I'm late to the party. Not like I used this for jack anyways.
Characters (so far): Shizune=Lilly=Hanako=Emi=Rin because why not?
Routes (so far): Lilly, then partial Rin
Current head canon: What's in most of this person's Lilly fics
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The answer will probably be "no"; just asking to be absolutely sure:
Will the new Ren'Py version neccessitate any changes to the script files? Any syntax changes in the direction code?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Here's a minor bug that could be a RenPy bug...
Filed a Ren'Py bug report.
Brisingr wrote:Windows 7 running on an HP laptop. Probably should have mentioned that in my first post.
That's not uncommon at all, so I'd like to hear if anyone else also has this problem.
Eadwacer wrote:Download and install went fine. Went to folder, clicked .exe
This is weird and probably an issue with the sketchy Intel video drivers on top of the outdated DirectX. Ren'Py's handling of accellerated graphics is... complictated. Maybe try updating your graphics drivers?
Rikabro wrote:Wait, I'm confused. Is there new content or not?
ToasterTheorist wrote:Yes, I tried making a save and loading it. Seems to be something they changed/forgot to remove in one of the versions. Probably shouldnt've imported the saves either way.
So this only happened when you MANUALLY copied the saves over, right? Because by default you should not even see them.
Kick-aha

Post by Kick-aha »

Downloaded and copied as described, works fine except resizing the window. I don't know if this is a renpy/python/displaymanager/driver -problem, so here it is as it's replicable:

Resizing works perfectly until maximizing the window. When turning back to "windowed mode" (by clicking on the maximize button) after once maximizing the window, no new frames are rendered, but sound plays fine and KS reacts to mouse/keyboard interactions.
(The last frame will stay in its original size it had when maximized and is cutted off on the right and bottom side by resizing the window. By enlarging the window the "new space" keeps black.)
When turning back to maximized window, the game can be played without any issues.
The problem can be "solved" by switching to fullscreen and back to window mode in the ingame settings. Then resizing works flawlessly until maximizing the window. See above.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ingame frames refuse to be larger than 1178x922 pixel (with black border on top and bottom). When resizing the window bigger than that, it snaps back to this size, even maximized the frames aren't larger. In fullscreen KS behaves as it should.

The console says this to the 1.1 Beta but won't abort, the normal version of KS runs without errors:

Code: Select all

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

I'm currently using

Windows 7 Dell with 2nd Generation Intel Core i5 that clocks in at 2.30 GHz to 2.9 GHz(Mobile)
I only have Intel Integrated Graphics

So far, there are no problems except Ren'py re-windowing when switching from Fullscreen to Windowed mode which has been mentioned already. The re-sizeable window is interesting but its slightly annoying with the fact that it doesn't stick with the aspect ratio causing black bars on the sides or tops. Of course this is on Ren'py side of things.

As for the game itself, it is running perfectly from my 10 minute test of it so I'm pretty sure Intel drivers doesn't cause issues. I'm curious as how this would run on Windows 8
something_or.other

Post by something_or.other »

Everything seems fine on Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit. No issues with the whole intro scene with Iwanako, which is the really the only scene I had time to test right now.

No issues going from fullscreen to windowed.

Persistent data imported fine, so the gallery and library have 100%, but it doesn't allow me to skip past text without checked the "skip unread text box." It also doesn't remember which choices I made. Not sure how big of an issue this is though.