After the Rain

WORDS WORDS WORDS

RandomWritefag

After the Rain

Post by RandomWritefag »

The turnout is unsurprisingly small for the occasion. I hardly recognize any faces amongst the dozen or so attendees. Even with the small number of people here, it’s unusually quiet. Even teacher Nomiya downplays his usually loud voice for this occasion. Moving around the small crowd, I notice her various works lined up against the wall.

It hasn’t been too long since she left (maybe a few months?), and it really shows in some of her paintings. After she had gone, I had stayed in the art club. Why? I’m not really sure. It felt like it was the last thing that connected us, even after what she had said. It was paying off I guess, since her art isn’t as incomprehensible as it used to be, or maybe that’s because of her school? Either way, her art really does seem easier to understand. Or maybe that’s just what I think.

“Understand.”

I let out a soft sigh as I continue to walk along the edge of the room. Such a simple word, but it was that one word that drove us apart. I finally notice her and walk up to her. Next to her is what I can only assume is her most recent painting, but I pay very little mind to it. Instead, I’m solely focused on her. That blank face that never lets out a single emotion looks back at me.

“Hey there.”

No response.

“It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Ever since that rainy day…right?”

I pause. As usual, it’s difficult talking to her, even after all this time.

“We were supposed to forget about each other, weren’t we? Sorry for showing up out of the blue. But it’s fine, isn’t it? I didn’t forget about you, and I don’t think I hate you enough to not show up. That’s not what friends do.

We’re friends, right Rin?”

I look, not even daring to let her see the water forming at my eyes.

“Sorry. I just missed you. It’s been really lonely back at Yamaku ever since you left. Emi cried after you just disappeared, you know? I did too, can you imagine?

Sorry. I’m just sorry that we had to meet like this. Maybe if I had tried harder to understand before, maybe you wouldn’t have left. There are a lot of maybes, and what-ifs, and should-haves. You were right, change is a scary thing, and I didn’t – still don’t – think I’m ready to handle it.”

The tears are leaking out faster now and I’m still desperately weaving my face away from hers. I instead try to look at her painting instead. It’s a simple one, not as abstract like her usual work. A girl crouching in a dark room, arms hugging her legs. I can barely make out a figure of a boy standing behind her, walking away.

Why is it that it’s only now that I understand her?

I cry. Loud enough that some people look over, but I don’t care.

With one hand, I reach inside her casket and caress her cheek, whispering the words I should have said a long time ago.

“You don’t have to be alone anymore.”

----------------------

Something I whipped up on 4chan last night.
scott1and

Re: After the Rain

Post by scott1and »

As sad as it is, it works. The ending got me though...

...WAAAHHH...What's with all the melancholic stories floating around *sniff* What happened to happiness and fluuuuuuuuffff!!!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I agree, this one is good.
The twist at the end reminds me of Kosher's early works ;-)

And Scottland, don't worry, happiness and fluff will return sooner or later - at the very latest when I get back to writing, but I hope it will be sooner.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Spirit Tsunami

Post by Spirit Tsunami »

Whoa. Yeah, I didn't even notice the twist. Wasn't until I read Mirage's post that I realized I'd missed something...
nemz

Post by nemz »

...what twist? I thought it was immediately obvious what was going on.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
random

Post by random »

PARAGRAPHS

+FINAL DEPRESSING LINE.

yup, seems like the usual formula for these stories