Katawa Shoujo in Tabletop Roleplaying

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tomate

Re: Katawa Shoujo in Tabletop Roleplaying

Post by Tomate »

These orks you guys are talking, are they in a Waaagh or are they in a horde?
When orks go Waaagh things get messy.
Anyway, I often follow the thought-cycle of 'technological superiority trumps magic'
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Yellow 13 wrote: *brofist*
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Magic beats technology because it cheats. It doesn't have to make any kind of sense.
Not Dead Yet
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oddball wrote:Magic beats technology because it cheats. It doesn't have to make any kind of sense.
You still need to cast spells.

And before that happen, a bullet can travel faster than words 8)
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Bathunter07

Post by Bathunter07 »

Megumeru wrote:
Oddball wrote:Magic beats technology because it cheats. It doesn't have to make any kind of sense.
You still need to cast spells.

And before that happen, a bullet can travel faster than words 8)
No you don't have to cast spells to use. Magic is simply a generic term for strange feats that are not achieve by science. In my universe for my stories, instead of chanting spells, magic is triggered by willpower (there are lots of rules to prevent this becoming story-breaking, everyone has limits to what they can do and they need lots of training to do so.). In my stories, every human is half-daemonic as well, so bullets don't work as well. Magic on the other hand, espcially in the hands of a daemon, will probably one-shot a human. In this case, magic beats technology (as people still use modern day-weaponry mixed with medivial. It an odd setting.). So, in some settings, magic can defeat technology, but this can be true in reverse as well. I would have to judge on a case-by-case basic.

Also, how off-topic can we get? LET US FIND OUT!
My OC: Lucius something something. Him in a nutshell.
“And then, genius happened. And by genius, I meant that I had set myself on fire again. Where is that damned fire extinguisher?”
“Do you the difference between me and a rocket scientist? A rocket scientist has a bigger budget. And protective gear.”
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Megumeru wrote: No you don't have to cast spells to use. Magic is simply a generic term for strange feats that are not achieve by science. In my universe for my stories, instead of chanting spells, magic is triggered by willpower (there are lots of rules to prevent this becoming story-breaking, everyone has limits to what they can do and they need lots of training to do so.). In my stories, every human is half-daemonic as well, so bullets don't work as well. Magic on the other hand, espcially in the hands of a daemon, will probably one-shot a human. In this case, magic beats technology (as people still use modern day-weaponry mixed with medivial. It an odd setting.). So, in some settings, magic can defeat technology, but this can be true in reverse as well. I would have to judge on a case-by-case basic.

Also, how off-topic can we get? LET US FIND OUT!
Magnetic Penis

OK OK serious; The logical endpoint of any magical universe is that the magic will eventually function similarly to technology. Enough wizards will look into it and enough minions and test subjects will die, and the rules of the magic will be codified and eventually applied in such a way so as to eliminate the need for a wizardly class of people.

The only thing that can prevent this is if the magical influence is specifically supernatural, as in it originates from the will and whim of beings that function outside of reality. Then you have a universe that functions according to religion and ritual.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

OK OK serious; The logical endpoint of any magical universe is that the magic will eventually function similarly to technology. Enough wizards will look into it and enough minions and test subjects will die, and the rules of the magic will be codified and eventually applied in such a way so as to eliminate the need for a wizardly class of people.
Unless of course there's only a certain class of people that CAN learn magic.
Not Dead Yet
Newbonomicon

Post by Newbonomicon »

But all of this technology versus magic talk is a moot point when discussing Orks VS. Tanks, because the letter K indicates that these are the ones from Warhammer 40k.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Oddball wrote: Unless of course there's only a certain class of people that CAN learn magic.
My point is that whatever restricts magic to a select few would eventually be uncovered and workarounds would be applied, because people like to have computers/magic orbs that they can carry in their pockets.
Newbonomicon wrote:But all of this technology versus magic talk is a moot point when discussing Orks VS. Tanks, because the letter K indicates that these are the ones from Warhammer 40k.
True dat. Don't they have some kind of latent psychic powers that makes their rattletrap tech actually work?
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Avtomat Kalashnikova>Avada Kedavra
nuff' said
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Yellow 13 wrote:Avtomat Kalashnikova>Avada Kedavra
nuff' said
Kalashnikovs that are loaded with Avada Kedavra bullets trump both. :D

That is a catchy line, though. Rhymes and everything.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Honestly, I'd use HeartQuest's system (FUDGE-based) for something like this. It's as close as one gets to custom-tailored without actually being such.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

As for Hanako and Deadpool...Deadpool is being played as his over the top insane violent-loving self, so Hanako wouldn't last very long IMHO.
Aww... I was looking forward to a nice heart to heart between the two.

"Yeah, I know things look bad now, but there's one thing you need to remember at times like this."

"T-that it gets b-better?"

"Nope! That it always gets worse! Look at me! I had cancer! Now I have cancer, I look like raw hamburger, have mental issues they don't even have names for and I've killed several people I really cared about! ... I'm sure I had a point here somewhere."

"I-I think I'll go see what the - the others are up to."

"Cool. You find anything that likes like nachos bring them here. Oh, and hey, enjoy having most of a face while it lasts!"
Not Dead Yet
strangeinterloper

Post by strangeinterloper »

Rin could possibly be very useful in that being involuntarily transported to a strage world would hardly faze her.

I'm picturing everyone else panicking, running in circles, then Rin walks by casually, looks at them for a few seconds, and keeps walking.

She could also lock herself in a remote section of the fortress for a fortnight or so, then come out covered in paint, leaving behind art that comes to life and violently dismembers outsiders.