Katawa Shoujo in Tabletop Roleplaying

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bathunter07

Katawa Shoujo in Tabletop Roleplaying

Post by Bathunter07 »

I have a group of buddies where we used a homebrew system (Dungeons and Dragons, but simplified) for our virtual table-top games.

Right now, our campaign is about fictional characters being sucked of their home universes and sent to this other world. The players are playing as more powerful fictional characters (Renegade Shepard, The Arbiter, Dante, Master Chief, and the other NPCs are controlled by me (I'm the GM) and my assistant GM.

So, these fictional characters are living in a destroyed fortress, 4 of them keep popping out of this crystal every Friday.

The focus of this was for the PCs to use their leadership and every bit of their knowledge to keep NPCs from killing each other, and using everyone miscellaneous skills to build up their fortress and defend themselves from other factions (In my game case, Elves from Dwarf Fortress, and Worms from the Worms Series, who have their own fictional characters like Orks and Koopas and crap.).

I going to have some Katawa characters pop in through the crystal in our next session. I ask of you the community. (Probably Hanako, because i have a OC character in that group who has a dead adopted child named Hanako...and the OC in question has magic and is very close to snapping).
If you were a player in this, and you had to manage a fortress, how would you manage and use the Katawa characters, dealing with this problems and how they conflict with themselve other fictional charaters (Our current fortress is in a forest, and some of the NPCs are Deadpool, Saber from Fate Stay, Devene from Claymore, and a few dozen others...)
My OC: Lucius something something. Him in a nutshell.
“And then, genius happened. And by genius, I meant that I had set myself on fire again. Where is that damned fire extinguisher?”
“Do you the difference between me and a rocket scientist? A rocket scientist has a bigger budget. And protective gear.”
Yellow 13

Re: Katawa Shoujo in Tabletop Roleplaying

Post by Yellow 13 »

I have Lilly as my waifu in the Robotech campaign i'm playing now
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Shizune as strategist, Lilly as diplomat, Emi as courier, Hanako as spymaster, and Rin as prisoner interrogator/arcane diviner.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Shizune - [Commander/General/Lieutenant/Adviser] I'll put her in charge of my army, strategies, etc. Hell, I'll take her as my adviser if I need to initiate a campaign with 'aggressive diplomacy' in mind.
Misha - [Interpreter] Mainly for Shizune, or else the entire army will be in disarray for not knowing sign language.
Lilly - [Politician/Diplomat] If swords/guns are not an option, I'll send her as my spokesperson and--hopefully--forge an alliance or something.
Akira - [Field Officer] She strikes me as a reliable individual. Works in cohesion with the Commander and the infantry.
Hideaki - [Frontline infantry, Radio op.] If it's available. He'll be working closely with the Field Officer and direct troop communication or support.
Emi - [Frontline infantry, scout/Commando] Size does not matter when speed allows you to cover greater distances and return with intel that will feed your army with battlefield knowledge.
Hanako - [Propaganda Minister] What good is your soldier if they aren't loyal? Or, what good is the enemy if they are afraid of you? Works closely with the politician/diplomat and the artist
Rin - [Propaganda Artist] Creates paintings that will sway the morale of your followers while dissuading any opposition. Works closely Propaganda Minister.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Unless you're going to handwave the issue, the language barrier could be a problem. Out of the main girls and the characters you've listed (that I know) Lilly and Deadpool are the only ones that speak both English and Japanese. That could be interesting as Deadpool isn't exactly the most sensitive guy in the world, but he does show a good deal of empathy for people that he feels have been screwed over in life as bad as he has.

I can actually see him bonding somewhat with Hanako, although she'd still be put off by his violent nature and his tendancies to play pranks on blind people.

Now as for what they're good for, as mentioned, Emi would probably make a good scout. Shizune could work as a tactician, although I wouldn't use her as any kind of field commander. Lilly's best use would be morale (get your mind out o the gutter. I'm not talking about that.) You've got a bunch of people that don't know each other, stuck in a place they don't know, constantly fighting strange enemies. Anything that could be done to make the place feel less strange and more like a home would be highly welcomed. Lilly (along with Hanako's help) would probably be very useful here. Hanako could probably also make a decent assistant in the medical ward. She loves feeling useful and when it comes to looking at major wounds, I'd imagine she has a stronger stomache for that sort of thing that most of the others.
Not Dead Yet
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Give Rin the scriblenaut magic pen, and tell her to go crazy.

You can also give Emi a jet propel ed exoskeleton.

You can plug Shizune on the mainframe of your fortress, something like the the mother-ship of Homeworld 1. Then she would user her skills to control the base defenses and broadcast reports.

Lilly can be assigned to Medusa fighting duty.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Bathunter07

Post by Bathunter07 »

Oddball wrote:Unless you're going to handwave the issue, the language barrier could be a problem.
The joy of magic. Everyone can understand each other due to it (except for beings that don't talk, like Tom the Cat [Ignoring the first movie and those fews times he made a one-liners] and accents are kept.)

Hmm...Demoman meets Lily...Better keep them apart.

As for Hanako and Deadpool...Deadpool is being played as his over the top insane violent-loving self, so Hanako wouldn't last very long IMHO. Luckily, the players know not to leave Deadpool long with anyone.

In other news, we have Sakaki from Azumanga Diaoh running around. I would like to see that interaction between the two shrinking violets. How long can the awkward silence last? (And how long before Emi tries to form a rivalry with her, causing Tomo to go Yandere?)
“And then, genius happened. And by genius, I meant that I had set myself on fire again. Where is that damned fire extinguisher?”
“Do you the difference between me and a rocket scientist? A rocket scientist has a bigger budget. And protective gear.”
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Forget it about D&D and use Cyberpunk 2020, the girls need cyberimplants and 80's styles

Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Bathunter07 wrote:
Oddball wrote:Unless you're going to handwave the issue, the language barrier could be a problem.
The joy of magic. Everyone can understand each other due to it (except for beings that don't talk, like Tom the Cat [Ignoring the first movie and those fews times he made a one-liners] and accents are kept.)

Hmm...Demoman meets Lily...Better keep them apart.

As for Hanako and Deadpool...Deadpool is being played as his over the top insane violent-loving self, so Hanako wouldn't last very long IMHO. Luckily, the players know not to leave Deadpool long with anyone.

In other news, we have Sakaki from Azumanga Diaoh running around. I would like to see that interaction between the two shrinking violets. How long can the awkward silence last? (And how long before Emi tries to form a rivalry with her, causing Tomo to go Yandere?)
Dead Pool used to hang around with some blind lady, right? Old Al or Old Sal, something like that.
Well, she is getting old, and deadpool cant die, so he should recruit Lilly to help him.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

No no no, you don't fix the girls disabilities, that's against the spirit of the thing. Give them tech/magic that compliments them in cool ways.

Like Lilly's dress. It looks to all the world like an elegant white gown, until she hears a sound that she doesn't like. She makes a disappointed face. With a mental command, the dress unfurls from her body and turns into a swarm of toothy/leathery/feathery creatures that swirl through the air and add to the fog of war. The swarm descends on whatever is making the sound she doesn't like and reduce whatever it is to shreds. The swarm returns to her body, painted a deep red by the blood of whoever the target was, and becomes a dress once more. Lilly smiles pleasantly.

Shizune and Misha gets pairs of heavy gloves that inscribe symbols in the air as they sign. The signs can be combined into various elemental effects, with Misha's being more general area of effect type things and Shizune's being very focused and direct. They can also just sign text in any language, if you're boring.

Emi's new pair of legs would be anti-gravity generators so she can switch between flying and just walking naturally on pillars of wavy-looking stuff. These would also be able to mess with the gravity in a broadly targeted area to rip matter apart and send it flying.

Hanako's hair can grow endlessly upon command and can form into any shape she can imagine. If an area of it is treated with the proper alchemical substances, it can become stronger than stone or gain other magical properties.

Rin's paintings can become portals to other places, but only if she's 'in the zone' when she begins painting. Using paints made from the right (expensive and rare) materials can create paintings that actually affect the area viewed on the canvas (locally changing the weather or the seasons, making objects appear or disappear). Any changes she makes to an environment is treated by anyone unaware of the painting as having always been there. Rin also has a knack for knowing where any particular object is, the more mundane and non-magical, the better her chances of knowing right away. More magical things she would have to follow her senses and track it like a dog.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Newbonomicon

Post by Newbonomicon »

If the language barrier would really be a problem, Shizune and Misha would probably be a good choice. Misha does seem to like American culture, right? It might take her a little longer, but I'd say chances are fairly high she could translate Shizune's JSL into English.

Lilly definitely speaks English.

Hisao does mention English classes, as well, although he apparently doesn't do well in them. Any of the others are fairly likely to at least speak a little English, broken though it may be.

Ignoring language, though, I vote for Shizune, Misha, Nurse, and Kenji. Definitely Kenji. Your setting demands him.
Bathunter07

Post by Bathunter07 »

Definitely Kenji. Your setting demands him.
He is in the Court of Sheogorath, which the party has yet to go to.

Anyway, we just started our game today. I spawned Hanako and Lilly. Lilly is calm as ever (well, pretending anyway)...but poor Hanako is being traumatized even further. Deadpool and a OC of the assistant GM has made it a game to come up behind Hanako and go 'Boo'.

On the other hand, Lilly is now the new official cook. On the other hand, all she has to work with are dead giant crabs, forest animals, and dead worms. While using a campfire. She still thinks it just a very vivid dream. Yeah, you just keep lying to yourself Lilly.

For that matter, I trying to decide, if I spawn Hisao, which girl should he have been with. Of course, I supposed it doesn't matter becasue in a matter of days, everyone is getting some new emotional baggage, and Hisao probably can't do jack here.

I got this scene in my head.

Commander Sherpard: "Orks are coming!"

Hisao: "I must protect Hanako!" *dies*

Moral: And that is why white-knighting for Hanako is bad...because Orks will kill you.
Newbonomicon

Post by Newbonomicon »

Wait. You have a Court of Sheogorath, but Deadpool is with the PCs? For shame.

Also, I assume the crabs in question are both giant AND enemy?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Orks may kill you...

...but they can't even dent a 20th century armored beast called a 'tank'.
...or out-range a rifleman armed with standard-issue bolt-action rifle (and that's being kind)

This scene is in my head when I think about it.

C. Shepard: Orks incoming!
Shizune: [What orks?]

*in field*

Orks: DAAAANKS!!!!*crushed*
-FEEL THE TANK POWER-

or send Marauder Shields in and he'll hold the line.

Anyway, I often follow the thought-cycle of 'technological superiority trumps magic'
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Megumeru wrote:

Anyway, I often follow the thought-cycle of 'technological superiority trumps magic'

*brofist*