After the Fall [Undergoing Major Rework]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 4]

Post by CloudGrain »

Well... I've suddenly come to find myself in possession of an ordinate amount of free time, with a temporary job having come to an abrupt and somewhat unexpected end.
____

Wednesday went by almost normally as far as things seem to go at Yamaku.

Plenty of people seemed content to stare, whisper, gossip about me.

But at the same time, Shizune and Misha both came over when the announcement for group-work went out. Both a little cautious at first, but with Misha being Misha and Shizune's 'voice' more or less having to go right through her, it seemed like they both warmed right back up. Misha with a little bit of absent-mindedness as she worked, Shizune as focused as a laser on the work but not above making a joke of her own once in a while. They were easy enough to get along with, and definitely something of a welcome break from how I had been throwing myself at the work alone.

Lunch came and went, a little more comfortably than the day before's had since the Student-Council duo had invited me along. Fitting in, being a part of a small group helped to keep the feeling of being 'stared at' throughout the meal.

We went back to classes, I resumed throwing myself into the individual work with intent while Shizune and Misha broke up the desks from a grouping. As much as I'd thought before that coasting through a lot of school would be easy, there's still plenty of new material being thrown out here at Yamaku, and I figured I'd have to keep on top of it. By the time that class ended, I went to the library, returning some of the books I'd gotten the other day and picking out a fresh new selection, grabbing some food from the cafeteria and heading back to my dorm.

Wednesday was... unremarkable, but good to be that way.

Thursday was much the same, followed in rapid succession by Friday. Falling back into the routine that'd been almost-established the week before of going to school, interacting just a little bit with a few people, and going 'home' to my dormitory to do some reading and schoolwork. Everything being said and done, it wasn't bad at all.

Today is Saturday though.

The day that we've got half-off from classes. Where the main point that most people seem to make is social interaction, where they try to hang out with their friends.

I'm not entirely sure that even at the end of my second week here I've got any friends.

Despite all that a few of my fellow students have done for me, I'm not really entirely sure that we would call one another friends. I know that Shizune and Misha are definitely friendly towards me, but by Friday they were already getting back on track with trying to push me towards joining the Student Council, much to my chagrin. I know that I'd opened up to Lilly and Hanako... but beyond greeting Hanako in the morning when I saw her and getting a stuttered reply in response, I haven't exactly even spoken to her. I haven't exactly seen Lilly since Tuesday either, and wouldn't want to impose myself on the pair, taking advantage of their hospitality. If I went back into last week, I could probably even count Emi as someone who'd wanted to help me... admittedly moreso with her own running and me tagging along. But still seeming hopeful to get me somewhat back into shape. Even Rin could've, in her own weird way, been being as friendly as she could.

Of course, being friendly to someone and being friends with someone were two entirely different things.

I cut my morning musings short as I enter the classroom, keeping up with my habit of being early now that I've found some motivation for my education over the past few days. Normally, I'm one of the first few here. But today, it looks like I'm the first person here and throwing my bag down by my desk as I take a seat and close my eyes, I can't help but smile somewhat. I wasn't exactly usually the most motivated, or even on-time student back at my old school.

Then again, I wasn't someone who knew he had arrhythmia at my old school... or the new guy who jumped off the roof. But at least not all of the changes were so definitely bad, right?

"G-good morning..."

The words break me from my reverie as I open my eyes to be greeted by Hanako shyly looking away.

"Good morning, Hanako." I say, flashing a quick smile as she fidgets slightly with her bag, not headed towards her seat. "Something on your mind?" I ask, hoping to somewhat expedite the process. I feel like if she can talk to me before anyone else shows up, there's more of a chance of having something that actually resembles a conversation with her.

A quick nod, a little bit of relief comes from Hanako at my breaking the awkwardness, although the words still aren't exactly forthcoming.

"I was... just wondering if y-you're f-feeling a l-little bit... bit better now?" She asks, shirking away from eye contact as soon as she manages to make it. I feel a little bit of warmth rush to my ears as I rub the back of my neck, genuinely thankful for the concern that Hanako's willing to show. "Y-you seemed... peaceful, r-right then." Hanako says, giving the rare emphasis of her own smile to the statement. It proves to be a little contagious as I feel my own lips curling back up into a smile while I consider my answer.

"I think I am. I was just considering the fact that I've never exactly been the first person to classes before, and that not all change has to be bad." I say it almost absent-mindedly, not so much minding the fact that I know Hanako so little. I can't say that I exactly know anyone here yet, but shouldn't honesty to sincere questions be the basis for that? "Sorry, half thinking aloud." I say, smiling as Hanako nods, looking as though she's about to say something more, once again playing with her hands and staring intently on the ground. Like a child who'd just dropped something fragile and broken it, right in front of an adult. I'm half considering pointing that out to hopefully draw her out of her shell.

Of course, the world's loudest interpreter for the deaf practically kicking the door off its hinges sends Hanako scurrying back to her seat before I can open my mouth.

"Early again, Hicchan? Not trying to steal Shicchan's work, are you~? She wasn't happy when you finished before her yesterday~!" Misha exclaims, her volume level almost disturbingly high since there are only four people in the room, even giving a mock approximation of an angry expression before bursting into her usual laughter. Honestly... where she got all this energy, I don't think that I'll ever know. Even getting up a little earlier on my own right, I know I'm not so much a morning person.

"Morning Misha, Shizune." I reply, effortlessly shrugging aside the accusations and chit-chat. I'll have to admit I'm a little bit perturbed, having been interesting in what Hanako might have had to say.

The duo turns to one another, signing rapidly before Misha turns back to me, hands on her waist and toothy grin while Shizune is similarly grinning. "Shicchan says you should help us with some of the physics homework, on account of us doing so much as your Student Council. If we didn't have such a heavy workload for Student Council, we might have been able to do it last night. But nobody was around to help us, Hicchan, nobody~!" Misha says, I can almost feel the pair edging closer.

I'm starting to re-think this early start to the day.

Fending off the Student-Council's thinly veiled recruitment attempts while helping them with their homework waiting for the rest of the class to file in...

The recruitment attempts seem like a given, but my academic attempts and earliness are some surprising new habits that I can't say I'm not proud of and hoping to keep. Our little 'trio' manages to just barely finish the last equation before Mutou comes into the classroom, looking a little bit less-than-enthusiastic for the prospect of teaching today. It looks like busy-work for today, as Mutou writes out examples from the book for us to do rather than going on into one of his somewhat scatterbrained lectures. Not that I can complain... It's pretty much the same stuff that I just had to explain to Misha and Shizune.

'Biting the bullet', unlike quite a few of my classmates who seem to be more than happy to instead resume sleeping, time goes by rather quickly.

But not quickly enough... I realize that I've completed the sets about an hour before the lesson is over. Looking over, I can see that Misha is going along at a good rate, while Shizune is at about the point I was ten minutes ago. It's surprising to see that when I push myself in regards to academics I can beat out Shizune. Granted, only in most of the math and science, with English still being my proverbial 'boogeyman'. Scanning the rest of the classroom boredly, I can't help but notice that Hanako is playing truant again, while the rest of the class seems to be in various states of either halfheartedly working or nearly asleep. A few quiet conversations are going on, just to keep a little bit of background noise instead of outright silence.

Mutou seems to catch me looking around, and looks at me in confusion before gesturing towards both me and the papers in front of me while putting down a scientific journal. Dutifully, I take them up to him and hand the somewhat untidy pile of equations to him. His mood seems to lighten somewhat as he reads through them quickly. "Very good, Nakai. I think that you're all done, if you'd like to go. Or maybe if you'd like to help anyone else with their work." Mutou says, his expression a good deal... Lighter than when he'd come in. It seems like he's the sort of teacher who really took a lot of interest in having his students really grasp the material he teaches.

For the first time in a while, with Saturday looming ahead in all of it's... strangeness to this new schedule that I've found for myself, I feel like I've got a real and important choice to make.

Should I go out and try to enjoy the day?

Or should I stay here for a little longer, with the security that the classroom really provides me?

On one hand, Saturday is supposed to be a day to be enjoyed. I could go visit the library and read a few quiet books. If worst comes to worst, Yuuko would certainly be happy to see me again with more reading material. She'd been really helpful the other day in finding a title from an author I enjoyed that I'd never been able to find before. I could go outside, enjoy the fact that I was out of the hospital, maybe even do my best to take the Nurse's advice and try to exercise a little bit. I could go into town, I could just explore the school some more. I could do anything.

Or I could stay here, help Shizune and Misha for a little bit. Maybe actually try to break the ice with a few of my other classmates. Try to dispel some of the awkwardness that's existed between me and practically everyone else since my... accident on the roof.

Decisions, decisions...

___

Notable edit;

Unfortunately, didn't realize that I was setting people right up for getting into a little bit of trouble here regarding the forum's rules on no requesting right alongside (to a limited degree) no CYOA type threads. I apologize for the ambiguity, have removed an initial statement at the top, and will leave in the nice bright red lettering to hopefully grab your attention before you get slapped on the wrist as well.

:oops: Sorry for leaving a few of you open for this, and hoping to avoid future instances. Sorry!

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
Last edited by CloudGrain on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a beautiful thing to lose.
TheTealeaf

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Updated Oct 20]

Post by TheTealeaf »

*bounces on the spot*

Nice! Like this part as well, I can really feel Hisao's internal struggle with his choices.

Hehe I could see this as part of a route for several of the girls, depending on the choice made by Hisao!

Hell you could even go into some of the other pupils for 3-3

Ever fancied doing a Misha route? :D

this piece just SCREAMS possibilities at me and it would be a cryin shame to see it go to waste on wayside.

My vote is for keep going.

You always turn out good quality work cloud (Personally I think better than mine) and I certainly think you've got the drive to do a route!

Of course that's just my two pence on the matter.

Either way, I always enjoy your work.

Tealeaf. Old cockney rhyming slang for 'thief'. That is what KS did to me. It tealeafed my heart straight from my chest. Especially you Rin. Especially you.

One cannot think well, sleep well, love well if one has not dined well
- Virginia Woolf

Cooking is like love. Enter with abandon or not at all
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

I take back what I said, this HAS to keep going. I second everything tealeaf said. It's ultimately up to you what happens of course, but I'm hoping Hisao stays in the classroom. I'm naturally hoping he becomes friends with Shizune and Misha, but I'll take any combination of classmates you choose.

Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
azumeow

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 4]

Post by azumeow »

CloudGrain wrote: I'll have to admit I'm a little bit perturbed, having been interesting in what Hanako might have had to say.
CloudGrain wrote: I could do anything.

Or I could stay here, help Shizune and Misha for a little bit. Maybe actually try to break the ice with a few of my other classmates. Try to dispel some of the awkwardness that's existed between me and practically everyone else since my... accident on the roof.

Decisions, decisions...
HISAO
WAT R U DOIN
HISAO
STAHP

But seriously, he better go find out what Hanako wants. It'd be downright rude not to find out what she was planning to ask him, if you want my opinion.

Then again, nobody wants my opinion. But I still give it anyway <3

"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Teh Sticky of Doom.

For those who don't get it: no polling for plot direction, and no voting on plot direction. Ever. Also a side dish of the No CYOA sticky, while we're at it.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

CloudGrain

Post by CloudGrain »

My fault entirely, SilentCook, I will update a portion of the post to reflect.

TheTealeaf wrote:*bounces on the spot*

Nice! Like this part as well, I can really feel Hisao's internal struggle with his choices.

Hehe I could see this as part of a route for several of the girls, depending on the choice made by Hisao!

Hell you could even go into some of the other pupils for 3-3

Ever fancied doing a Misha route? :D

this piece just SCREAMS possibilities at me and it would be a cryin shame to see it go to waste on wayside.

My vote is for keep going.

You always turn out good quality work cloud (Personally I think better than mine) and I certainly think you've got the drive to do a route!

Of course that's just my two pence on the matter.

Either way, I always enjoy your work.

Thanks kindly for the encouragement, as always! And it was indeed the intent to leave it fairly open-ended at this point. I've been musing over a few different ideas and directions for it all to take (or perhaps even multiple), but didn't want to pin myself down to any single thing quite yet. I think that I've got the idea in mind for what I'd like to continue-on. But I'll probably sleep on it this evening just to see if it still strikes me the same way when I wake up and have time to write it all down.

Exceptionally sorry about getting you a warning inadvertently with the stickied rules. :(
AntonSlavik020 wrote:I take back what I said, this HAS to keep going. I second everything tealeaf said. It's ultimately up to you what happens of course, but I'm hoping Hisao stays in the classroom. I'm naturally hoping he becomes friends with Shizune and Misha, but I'll take any combination of classmates you choose.
Thanks so much! I'm stoked to hear that it's gone from just 'getting interesting' to something you would like to see updates for! :D Hopefully, I'll be able to provide more content now that I've got some more free time in the immediate future.

Once again though, I am very sorry for leaving you open to getting a warning. Practically setting people up for failure of that rule here. :oops:
azumeow wrote: HISAO
WAT R U DOIN
HISAO
STAHP

But seriously, he better go find out what Hanako wants. It'd be downright rude not to find out what she was planning to ask him, if you want my opinion.

Then again, nobody wants my opinion. But I still give it anyway <3
Thank you very much for having such an interest in this! Glad that I'm able to draw such a response from you with this little snippet. :D Although, like with Anton and Tealeaf, I really am sorry that I really left you open to get the slap on the wrist of a warning here. I do apologize. :(
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 5a]

Post by CloudGrain »

I can't help but think that staying around to help would be something of a mistake.

I could try to help Misha and Shizune, sure... but Shizune's nearly done already and would probably be just as able to explain the work to Misha when she finishes up. The rest of my classmates, I really can't say that I know particularly well. While helping them out would probably give me a few bonus points, there's always the chance that I'll just be bothering someone who wants to fall asleep. A quick glance shows that for Suzu, as well as a few other students, the book is actually proving its usefulness as a pillow rather than for the equations within.

Yeah, it'd be just a little bit safer to be on my way right now.

I grab my bag, rearrange it somewhat to fit the thick textbook and notebook inside of it neatly, and head out of the classroom, stretching somewhat as I consider the options in front of me for the day. Not only is it a Saturday, after all, but a Saturday that I've got off from classes almost an entire hour early. This is something to be enjoyed, isn't it? Yawning, already a little tired thanks to my dedication to my education, I decide that one of the better ways to reward myself might be to get rid of some of the weight on my back by stopping by the library for a while, dropping off another book and thinking about what else there might be to do. As much as Yamaku might be one of the quieter places that I've ever been, it doesn't seem like the administration here would be able to keep so many high-school students here and expect them to do nothing all day, right?

Yuuko might actually know something about that, being a member of the staff.

"Good morning, Yuuko." I say as I see her, already pulling out the book that I'd borrowed just yesterday to check back into the library. She glances up at me, mildly surprised as she takes the book.

"Good morning, Hisao." She returns with her usual apprehensive smile, laser-focused on the book that I'm returning to do everything right. It's always a little strange to see how quickly she can change 'modes'. Finally managing to scan the barcode, she turns to me again. "Is there something wrong, was I not supposed to-" She begins, immediately apologizing as she noticed that I haven't gone on my usual way to pick up a few new books. I can't help but smile and try to wave it off.

"No, sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. I actually had a question that you might be able to help with." I say simply, bringing Yuuko down from the building breakdown-in-progress. "I was sort of wondering what goes around here, in the school? I mean, I understand that there are a bunch of clubs, but are there any events? Sports games, or anything?" I ask, getting Yuuko to calm down even further as she's forced to think at least a little more about the topic of my question than having possibly done some tiny thing the littlest bit wrong.

"I... Don't know off the top of my- Oh! Wait." Yuuko seems to grasp at strings for a moment before something jumps right out to her. "I know that there's going to be a track-meet tomorrow. We're supposed to be going up against..." She stumbles for a few seconds, scrambling to try and come up with the name of whatever school we're competing with, almost immediately getting flustered again.

"Thanks, Yuuko. Even just knowing about something going on tomorrow is good. I think that I'll go check out some books." I reassure her with a smile, getting at least a nod from Yuuko as she seems to mull it over for a little while longer. I've learned that dealing with Yuuko, the faster you can get yourself out when she's taking a bit of a turn for the worst makes it a little bit easier on both you and her. Skimming the books, a little absent-mindedly, I can't help but draw the comparison between how I have to act around Yuuko and how Hanako seems to act around everyone. Bailing as soon as things get just a little bit tricky.

I'm not terribly surprised when I reach the end of the book shelves and see her in what I assume is her customary bean-bag, deep into a book. I'd seen her seat empty in class earlier, sure. But it's still somewhat of a strange thing to me to know she was playing truant right in the library, so close-by to teachers and the like. Even if she were at least a little hidden so far in the library itself. After just a few second's consideration, I decide to go over and say hello, my mind going back to this morning's encounter. It'd looked like she had something on her mind before Shizune and Misha, mostly Misha, had more or less driven her to run away before things got difficult.

"Hey, Hanako." I say easily, somewhat startling her as I sling my bag to the side and feel the relief of being a little less burdened, plopping down into a seat scross from her. She starts slightly, before seeming to recognize me and settle back down at least somewhat.

"H-Hi... H-Hisao." She stammers out, already attempting to hide herself behind her book. A quick glance at me, then to a clock hanging over a nearby bookcase, and back to me. Hanako's look gradually changes to one of just a little more confusion than fear. "Y-you're out of class?" She asks, the confusion in her voice a little more evident for once than the usual fear. Although it might just be that after the few very brief 'conversations' I've had with her that I've gotten to be able to hear her a little bit better.

"Yeah, I finished everything up a little early. Mutou let me leave." I say, examining the book she's reading. It's actually one of my go-to books when I couldn't find too much that looked good back in the hospital. "Have you gotten very far in the book?" I ask, leading the conversation in a new direction. Hanako gives a little shake of her head in response, giving me reason to give a bit of a grin. "It's a good one, or at least I thought so." If I'm not mistaken, I think that Hanako actually gives a tiny smile at that, half-hidden by the book as she seems to be attempting to examine me while also reading through the book.

"I-Its good so far." She admits, seeming to turn the littlest bit inwards with the short answer.

I can't exactly say that I know too much about Hanako, but I can say that it feels like it would be pushing it to bother her too much more right now. The question that I had been intending to ask her, about what it was she might have had to say this morning fades to somewhere in the back of my mind as I crack open a book I'd gotten fairly into last night. Much as I'd been thinking about going out to do something, the only thing that more or less opened itself was tomorrow anyways. At the very least, going to the library for a while to read was a nice change in pace and atmosphere for me.

Losing myself in the science-fiction world isn't hard, and I'm hardly aware of the girl across from me thanks to her deliberate silence. The seconds quickly tick into minutes, which seem to blur by until the lunch bells suddenly ring. It startles me somewhat, similarly to how I'd startled Hanako earlier with my greeting. Turning my gaze upwards at the noise, I catch Hanako peeking out over the cover of her book at me before looking away quickly. I can't help but wonder at how long, or how many times she might have done that while I was engrossed in my book.

"Something wrong?" I ask, instinctively feeling a hand going up to my head to try and pat down that tuft of hair that always seems to poke out. "My hair's not staying up in one spot or anything?" Hanako blushes a little bit, the faintest hint of a smile as she shakes her head. It's... honestly always a bit of a chore to start up any little strand of conversation with Hanako. But I feel like the little smiles and awkwardness that I get in return can definitely be worth it.

"Y-you looked... happier... a-again." She stutters out, as if embarrassed by her observation.

I've got to admit that she's making the same observation again is... almost strange to me as well. I know that a few people have taken my welfare pretty seriously since I've come here. Mutou and the Nurse, for example; although in their case it might be in no small consequence because of their jobs. Lilly and Hanako had both helped me tremendously a few days ago, although I'd had little enough contact with either of them since. Even Shizune and Misha seemed to be perking right back up towards trying to help me, in their own way. But nobody had openly really just sat back and observed me... or at the very least told me that they'd been observing me.

Then again, it was Hanako who prodded me to go along for tea that day and more or less instigated getting things off my chest. Carefully folding a page to mark my place, I carefully consider the observation, as well as the fact that it seemed like Hanako really had been trying to help me a little bit in the past. "A good book, a nice quiet day half-off from school, what's not to enjoy?" I ask, giving her a smile while she blushes and hides behind the book again. Before I can even pick my book back up, she's peeking over the cover of her own, to be met with an expectant raised eyebrow of mine.

It's almost easy to predict her sometimes; I just have to relate to how I felt a few days ago wanting to avoid people. Of course, I've got no idea what she's going to say. Or if she's going to say it even if I asked. I feel like most every interaction she has with me is a forced encounter well out of her comfort-zone.

"I-It's... n-nice to see y-you smile. Y-you didn't... s-smile... b-before.,," She stammers out and trails off, the statements somewhat hard to make out even by the standards I have for her. Stuttered and so softly-spoken that the book in front of her mouth almost manages to absorb it entirely.

Hanako isn't the dishonest type, even if she is so quiet. A moment's reflection on the week prior doesn't leave me with many memories of smiling. I'd more or less been dealing with the fact that I'd been sent to a school for 'disabled people', and that even here I didn't think that I was managing to fit in. I felt like nobody was really... well, trying too terribly much to help me, despite how much a few of them were. I felt like an outcast even among these people who'd been more or less 'sent away', unfair as it seemed looking back. I still don't know if I could call anyone a friend, or would be able to call anyone a close friend by graduation, but it seems almost foolish as to how depressed I'd been after a single week of not getting so close to anyone.

I think that I'll take Hanako's comment as something of a compliment. "Thanks." I say simply, smiling as if to emphasis it, before deciding that thanking her again for simply pushing me a little bit to the tearoom and then being able to listen. "Thanks to both you, and Lilly, I think. I don't think that I knew quite how much I needed to get that off my chest until Tuesday." I say simply, hoping that the message might be carried to Lilly by proxy.

Although, before Hanako can formulate one of her careful and shortly-worded responses, the most appropriate voice calls out to her before its source emerges from the bookshelves.

"Hanako?" The prim and proper voice comes, at just the right volume to call someone out from inside a library, Lilly coming into view as she navigates with her cane oh-so-carefully. Hanako immediately shuts her book and begins to get her things together to go with Lilly, to escape a very slightly uncomfortable situation. Of course, Lilly directs her voice in another question in my vague direction even as Hanako is gathering up her bag. "Did I hear someone else with you?" She asks, resting both hands on her cane for the moment as she waits patiently.

Smiling, I greet Lilly, hopeful that I'll be able to thank her myself once again. "It's me Lilly, Hisao." I say simply, pushing my own book to the side as I stand up from the beanbag to a little more properly try and see them off if they're leaving. To a little bit of my surprise, Lilly gets something of a cross between a pouting and haughty motherly expression on her face at my voice.

"Hisao, are you skipping classes?" She asks, with enough of the very same tone in her voice as her face is showing to make me actually laugh lightly.

I suppose that it does seem a little bit like if I were in the library so soon after classes ended, and sitting down comfortably, it might seem a little bit like I'd just forgone classes for today. Though Lilly's expression and somewhat overbearing concern is definitely endearing. "No, no... Mutou let me out a little early since I finished all the work he assigned us in classes. I've just been reading for a little while with Hanako." I reassure her after laughing, watching Lilly's somewhat confused consternation being replaced with a more relaxed, although mildly surprised expression. She certainly seems to like to play the mother-hen.

"Finishing Mutou's work early? My, my... you must have been working quite diligently." Lilly says, looking pleased at the fact, although still a little wary. I rub the back of my neck, well aware of how much more effort I'd been putting into academics lately. It definitely seemed like a complete one-eighty, and I really hoped that I could keep it that way.

"Yeah... I was actually just telling Hanako, I think that the conversation I had with you two definitely helped me. Thanks again." Lilly's brow furrows slightly at the beginning of my statement, but even the tiny bit of concern from before seems to have disappeared into a radiant smile by the end of it.

"You're very welcome, Hisao." She says with the slightest bow, evidently very pleased that the conversation in the tea-room had been such a help. "In fact, we were just going to have some tea and sandwiches in the tea-room, if you'd like to join us again today?"

It's not like I had anything better planned for the day... Lilly's invitation is definitely welcome, and even Hanako doesn't look so fidgety or frightened at the prospect of it today when compared to the day last week I more or less imposed myself on the pair.

"It would be a pleasure."

___

Disclaimer/Update/Whatever;

This project has taken a turn for the long(-er).

I have, after some consideration and deliberation decided to hopefully get this project to 'line up' with the actual visual novel, with at least a semblance of true congruity with all five of the major girl's routes. In essence, meaning that I will intend to have a few 'options' (not unlike the usual psuedo-route) which can lead a reader down multiple paths. It'll take some serious time in order to get everything for each girl just right. But I do hope to do justice for each of them.

I doubt that After the Fall will ever reach out anywhere as long, in either time-frame or word-count as the visual novel's routes. Seeing as at this point I might have about 10.000 words in what would constitute the majority of the first act. I'd estimate a full read-through of any of the 'routes' at less than 40.000 words, as well as only reach a few weeks or months into the future for Hisao. I won't be able to guarantee much in the realm of true 'closure' for any of the girls either. Merely getting things to a point where the relationships are in a more or less 'predictable' state.. I will be working on the routes sequentially, and likely make a new thread once I've sufficiently butchered this one with having one completed route and beginning another.

A pair of randomly determined coin-tosses have given me Hanako as the first route in After the Fall.

Enjoy,
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Awesome. While I was hoping for Shizune, I'm certainly not complaining about Hanako being first. Looking forward to more.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Envaris

Post by Envaris »

A pair of randomly determined coin-tosses have given me Hanako as the first route in After the Fall.
Ballin.

Really likin this story so far man, and I'm glad that Hanako is the first choice for the routes. Completing all of them though sounds like a daunting task that I hope you finish :D
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 6a]

Post by CloudGrain »

The tearoom seems to have an entirely different air around it from the rest of the classrooms here at Yamaku.

It's almost like it was someplace that'd been... forgotten, except for the visits that Lilly, Hanako, and occasionally myself had to it. It's not entirely unlike the one table that I'd found out behind my old school, someplace that was just far enough out of the way that nobody paid it much mind. Although, it brings me to something of a question as I think about the place I'd had at my own school. That spot had taken me a long while to find on my own...

"Lilly?" I ask, getting her to perk up somewhat from where she was pouring hot water out of a thermos and into teacups while Hanako was arranging a few sandwiches on a plate. "How exactly did you and Hanako find this room? It seems like the classroom isn't used, and it's a little hard to find if you're just wandering around looking for something like it." I ask, and further explain my question.

Lilly's smile tells me that this isn't exactly a story that she's ever had to tell before, but it more than happy to. "Actually, last year, this room was used quite a bit. For the meetings of the Student Representatives." She begins, carefully pushing over one of the cups of tea in my general direction, which I take gratefully. "As an auxiliary classroom, it was a very good choice to hold most of our meetings in. Unfortunately, like you said, it's a little further out of the way than some of the students might have liked. Especially being about as far as one could put a room from any of the ramps or elevators." She explains, the statement reminding me acutely of how hard it was for some students to get around without aid. "Shizune's decision to move the meeting room to the first floor was actually one of the more... well received of her changes. Even though it was something of a hassle." Lilly admits, tightening up a little bit at the mention of the Student Council's President.

"So you thought that letting such a nice quiet room go to waste would be a shame?" I ask, already eager to move on the topic somewhat from the Student Council in Lilly's presence. After that spat last week, I figure that letting Shizune or Misha too close to Lilly where it can be avoided is something of a mistake. Even just in conversation.

Lilly brightens slightly, apparently just as pleased by the obvious change in tact from the Student Council. "Indeed. I thought that it might suit me and Hanako well every now and again. Now we tend to spend most lunches here." She says, somewhat pleased with herself and her foresight on the matter.

I have to admit, the room does really seem to suit the manners of both of the girls. The quiet suits both Lilly's prim and proper nature right alongside Hanako's shy and withdrawn. I can't help but say it aloud either. "Yeah... I think you two found a pretty close to perfect spot here. It's... Nice." I admit, tentatively taking a first sip of the tea as both Lilly and Hanako seem to be pleased with my admission about the room. After just a brief moment's silence and consideration, Lilly seems to take the initiative to add something on.

"You know Hisao, I think that neither Hanako or I would be terribly bothered if you were to join us a little more frequently." She says simply, smiling as she takes a sip of her own tea. Turning to Hanako with a raised eyebrow, questioning ever-so-slightly, I manage to get a response out of her as well.

"I-It'd be nice." She admits, giving one of her usual shy barely-noticeable smiles of reassurance before turning back to her own tea for a moment's reprieve from my gaze.

I smile, again touched by these two girls' willingness to help me where they can, just by being there for me if they can. Maybe I've got to rethink that idea I've had that I didn't really have any friends here at Yamaku yet. "Thank you both very much, I think that I will." I say, unable to come up with any way to adequately really express just how thankful I am for all that they've done. The next few minutes pass in a very comfortable silence for me, while Hanako and Lilly very gradually break off to a conversation about the books that the pair have recently been reading. From what I can gather, it seems like Lilly reads quite a bit more western literature, whereas Hanako's tastes seem to be simply for whatever she can get her hands on in the library.

Absent-mindedly eating a few sandwiches, drinking tea, listening to conversation... it's nice to feel content with things as they are. Of course, all good things have to come to an eventual end, even at the relatively slow pace that things seem to go by in the tearoom, where time seems to almost be at a standstill. The tea and the sandwiches both vanish eventually, leaving us with nothing but a few woefully empty cups and plates. As both Lilly and Hanako seem to set about cleaning up, waving away my offer to help, I find myself coming up with a question.

"Lilly, Hanako?" I start, both of the girls stopping in their tracks to listen to me. "Is there much in town for students to do? I know there's a convenience store, but I'd think that there would be some things more or less geared towards high-schoolers with us being so close-by." I ask the question, hoping that maybe there will be something sufficiently interesting in the nearby town for me to waste a few hours doing. Either today or tomorrow, where I had so much free-time thanks to my diligence in the classroom. Back at my old school, I could always find something to do, but that was in the middle of a major metropolitan area. I don't think that I even noticed any buildings that might be large enough to hold a lot of the same activities, movies, arcades, or the like that I could find on almost every corner back home.

Lilly clasps her hands together, apparently thinking quite hard over the question.

"Not... So much, beyond most of the necessities." She admits, frowning a little bit before apparently remembering something. "However, there is a bus that goes to a nearby city that comes at nine in the morning on Sundays. I know that going to the city is quite a bit more popular on the weekend than simply going into town to pick up some groceries." She says with a smile, evidently quite happy to have come up with something of a solution to the question I'd asked. "Are you already getting a little tired of Yamaku?" She asks, her tone obviously a little teasing as she resumes cleaning up a few little things.

I laugh. "Well... I'm a little afraid that if all I do is read on the weekends and after school that the library might run out of material for me before graduation. I was trying to think of a few other things to do on weekends." I admit, getting a measured nod from Lilly.

"If you'd like, I've been meaning to go to the city for a while now for a few things that I can't get in town. Hanako might be willing to come along as well, to help you get a little better acquainted with the city." Lilly says, always willing to help. It's impossible not to notice the half-invitation for Hanako there as well, worded so that if she didn't want to she could easily get out of it. In a way, the situation more or less echoed my stumbling upon the tearoom in the first place, and having Lilly offer to take me to the library. An offer that really was a little bit too good to refuse, both managing to get away from Yamaku for a little while and actually having a little bit of guidance around the city as well.

"That'd be great, if you're sure that I'm not causing you too much trouble or anything." I say, hastily trying to ensure that I'm not imposing myself.

"I may well need to get away from school myself. I do believe that I may already be a little late for our Student Representative meeting. I'm sure Shizune will use it as an opportunity to try and instigate something." Lilly says, suddenly seeming to remember the fact with a little bit of a grimace. I can't help but half-mimic her expression out of a little bit of guilt, almost doubtless that I contributed to that potential lateness.

"Sorry didn't mean to keep y-" Lilly cuts me off with a smile and a wave of her hand.

"It's not a problem, Hisao. I can deal with the Student Council. I'm more glad that we were able to talk a little bit today." She says, smiling sincerely as she finishes cleaning up a few little bits of the tea-set and opening up her cane with a very casual motion. "You'll be at the bus-stop tomorrow?" She asks, reaffirming it as she presses her skirt down slightly, as if readying for the potential wrath of Shizune.

"Yeah, I'll be there." I say, unable to really deny the offer being made. With that, Lilly gives one last smile and nod before heading off with the usual tapping of her cane towards the nearest stairway. Turning around, I suddenly notice that Hanako's in the somewhat awkward position of having put everything of hers away, but not being apparently all too sure of leaving herself. It's also impossible to not have notice how silent she'd been at the suggestion of going to the city, with the open-ended implication that she might or might not be going with me and Lilly.

I decide that asking the question might not be terribly out of place. "So, do you think you're going to be coming along tomorrow too, Hanako?" I ask, getting a reaction of surprise from Hanako as she fidgets with her bag for a moment. Apparently, as natural seeming as the question was to me, it wasn't at all for her.

"I-I don't know..." She says awkwardly, trailing off. I can't imagine that going to the city would necessarily be one of the very best things given her shyness, but all the same feel at least a little bit guilty about possibly going out on a trip with Lilly without taking Hanako along. The pair are fairly close to inseparable, save for the fact that they're not in the same class and Lilly occasionally has student-council duties to attend to. I feel like I owe it to her to push her a little bit out of her comfort zone, after she'd been pushing me a little bit out of mine. I know that it's done me a world of good.

"I think we'll all enjoy ourselves, especially if you came along." I say simply, shrugging as I say it. Hanako's expression is one of mild surprise, and she very slowly gives a small nod.

"O-okay."

That was... surprisingly easy, to get her to agree to come along tomorrow. I smile, glad that I could get her to break out of her own shell just a little bit more. I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a fairly good day. Getting to go on a trip to the city without any schoolwork to worry about. A quick glance at my watch shows that it's only a little bit after my usual lunchtime now, and I can't help but wonder if there's anything else to do just in the school itself.

"So, besides reading, any hobbies?" I ask Hanako, trying to just make a little bit of conversation. She brightens from a somewhat pensive look to one of actual... mild excitement at the words, as if they've given her a way out.

"D-do you play... c-chess?" She asks, standing up and going to one of the shelves, seemingly conjuring a board from somewhere in it and a bag of pieces. I have to admit that I haven't played it in a long while, but Hanako's actual expression of enthusiasm for the game has piqued my own interest more than a little.

"I haven't played in a long time, but I think I still remember how." I say simply, watching as Hanako more or less displays the pieces.

"W-w-would you...?" She begins, trailing off in embarrassment before she can even get the full sentence out. Smiling somewhat, I finish it for her.

"Like to play? Certainly." I say, Hanako responding with a nod as she sits down across from me and dumps the bag of well-worn pieces on the table and begins to set up. Today's turning out to be a much better day than I'd anticipated when I'd gotten to class. And if things tomorrow turn out how they're looking to, I can't help but think that it'll be even better.
TheTealeaf

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Updated Oct 22]

Post by TheTealeaf »

I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.

there was a nice upbeat, hopeful tone to this piece and it was sweet enough to make me consider checking myself for diabetes.

As always cloud, excellent writing and another piece that I enjoy.

Keep writing my friend!

-Akane waves a peace sign and cheer leading squad lead by Yang-

:D

No seriously keep writing, I always enjoy your pieces.
Tealeaf. Old cockney rhyming slang for 'thief'. That is what KS did to me. It tealeafed my heart straight from my chest. Especially you Rin. Especially you.

One cannot think well, sleep well, love well if one has not dined well
- Virginia Woolf

Cooking is like love. Enter with abandon or not at all
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

TheTealeaf wrote:I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.
Actually, this confused me. Is Lilly saying that the class reps have meetings separate from the Student Council? Because if Lilly means the Student Council, there's no way it would meet in such a dinky room as that. Also, given how close the tea room is to the library, I doubt it's that inaccessible.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
CloudGrain

Post by CloudGrain »

TheTealeaf wrote:I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.

there was a nice upbeat, hopeful tone to this piece and it was sweet enough to make me consider checking myself for diabetes.

As always cloud, excellent writing and another piece that I enjoy.

Keep writing my friend!

-Akane waves a peace sign and cheer leading squad lead by Yang-

:D

No seriously keep writing, I always enjoy your pieces.
Thanks kindly, Tealeaf. :D I'm hopeful that I'll be able to add in a few bits of conflict here as well, not only catering to the good feelings. I'll absolutely be continually updating this as often as my brain co-operates with my writing functionality.
dewelar wrote:
Actually, this confused me. Is Lilly saying that the class reps have meetings separate from the Student Council? Because if Lilly means the Student Council, there's no way it would meet in such a dinky room as that. Also, given how close the tea room is to the library, I doubt it's that inaccessible.
Nope, in this case, Lilly is saying that the Student Council (read, Shizune) moved the assigned room for what I would assume was both Student Council and Class Reps into the room on the first floor that we're a little more canonically familiar with. I'll admit to a little bit of confusion as to what you mean by a 'dinky room', in this case. Based on the in-game photos for either of the two classrooms, it's fairly easy to assume that there's room for more than just a few people. While the tea-room is shown from an angle which is somewhat prohibitive to seeing much room, there are most certainly some desks beyond the main table that Lilly, Hanako, and Hisao usually use. Assuming that there are about ten or twelve class-reps, (3-4 classes per level), I can't think of a single classroom I've ever been in that wouldn't have the capacity.

As to the proximity to the library; I'll admit that it's a bit of a snaffu in the logic. Simplest explanation would be that perhaps some of the more severely inhibited students would be in classes on the first-floor for sake of ease. Or perhaps that Shizune's usual penchant for getting things done means that actually having the classroom a little further from her would allow for a little less friction between her and the other students when she was 'forced to wait' for them.

Eh. I'll regard it as a small issue that, if I can find another explanation at some point in the future, sure I'll replace it. But I don't think that I'll necessarily have to go terribly out of my way and obsess over it for too long. Regardless, thanks for the quick note on it!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

CloudGrain wrote:
dewelar wrote:
Nope, in this case, Lilly is saying that the Student Council (read, Shizune) moved the assigned room for what I would assume was both Student Council and Class Reps into the room on the first floor that we're a little more canonically familiar with. I'll admit to a little bit of confusion as to what you mean by a 'dinky room', in this case. Based on the in-game photos for either of the two classrooms, it's fairly easy to assume that there's room for more than just a few people. While the tea-room is shown from an angle which is somewhat prohibitive to seeing much room, there are most certainly some desks beyond the main table that Lilly, Hanako, and Hisao usually use. Assuming that there are about ten or twelve class-reps, (3-4 classes per level), I can't think of a single classroom I've ever been in that wouldn't have the capacity.
Ah, but in the photo we do get of the tea room, the desks are jammed together on the right-hand side of the room. That to me would imply that this is either some kind of storage or utility room that has been repurposed as opposed to a classroom. The actual SC room appears to have much more space. Given that and (as you mentioned) its accessibility, I would be very surprised if that hasn't always been the SC room. Small point, though, so I'll stop belaboring it there :) .
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 7a]

Post by CloudGrain »

Waking up to an alarm on a Sunday is a lot harder than waking up during the rest of the week. Without the implication that I'll miss school if I just hit the sleep button a few more times, I can't actually help but revert to a little bit of my previous laziness as I smack the sleep button twice, managing only to pull myself out of bed on the alarm's rather valiant third attempt. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, trying to adjust to the light already coming in the window, I manage to make out the time on the clock. Eight ten, more than enough time to get ready for the much anticipated trip into the city. Still more or less dragging myself along, I gather a few things for the shower and head out into the hallway and bathroom. I can't help but pause as I notice that the plaque which had Kenji's name next to his door has been removed. After the whole incident with me and him on the roof, I'm really not surprised. Actually, I'm sort of hoping for his sake that he's getting the help that he so obviously needs.

Reveling somewhat in the fact that I've got this hallway's bathroom completely to myself; I let myself doze a little bit as I shower, brush my teeth, take my medicine, dress myself, and otherwise just get ready for the day. A quick glance at my clock when I get back to my room shows that I've still got plenty of time to grab something to eat from the cafeteria before going to the bus station. Ensuring that I've got a little bit of money and my phone, I head down to the cafeteria.

It's a little surprising to see the change in the students with everyone in casual clothing rather than uniforms. There aren't a lot of students here, but since most of them aren't wearing the usual somewhat 'washed' colors of Yamaku's uniforms, they're certainly a little more pronounced. It's actually a little hard not to assume that a few of them aren't just wearing the more colorful clothes just for the hell of it, usually being somewhat restricted with the uniforms. My brief surveying of the cafeteria is cut short by my stomach's gurgling, and subsequent heading through the cafeteria line to grab something to quiet it down.

Just as I sit down, I notice a larger group of students actually in their PE uniforms coming into the cafeteria. It takes me a moment and a bite of food to realize that one of the group is actually waving at me and coming over.

"Hisao!" Emi calls out in her usual almost-too-happy voice as she more or less bounces over from the group to the opposite side of the table. "What'cha doing?" She asks, giving me more than enough reason to smile a little and raise an eyebrow at her attitude so early in the morning. It seems almost over the top, possibly even moreso thanks to her standing height being just a little bit taller than eye-level sitting down to my breakfast. It's about now that I remember Yuuko telling me the other day that there was going to be a track meet today, since I'd been looking for things to do.

"Just getting ready to head into the city in a little bit." I admit between bites, glancing at my watch to ensure that I'm still good for time. Emi's pout is fairly short in coming as she regards me.

"You're not going to stay for just a little while to watch the track-meet? Even after skipping out on me for running in the mornings?" She asks, obviously knowing just how well her puppy-eyes were able to work on people as she milks the expression for all that it's worth. Despite the pangs of guilt that are pretty much forced out of me thanks to the puppy-dog eyes, I know that I'd feel even worse for standing up Lilly and Hanako after having made plans with them.

Poking at my eggs and looking at them intently to avoid the pout is pretty much my only recourse as I try to explain myself. "Well, already made plans with Lilly and Hanako, and I'd feel just as guilty if I blew them off so soon to the bus getting here. They're only even coming along to help show me around the city." I say slowly, sneaking a peek upwards to see that Emi's pout has finally faded away somewhat. Mollified by my explanation of having a prior agreement.

"Well... I suppose that's fair. But you really should still get some more exercise, Hisao, instead of just giving up after one try. I don't think that Nurse would make me into a spy if he didn't think it were important." Emi says, shrugging a little bit as she at least tries to make a little bit of headway on the subject. Luckily, I think that I can deal with the faint ghost of a pout that Emi's got on a little bit better than the complete expression.

Rubbing the back on my neck, I nod a little and give an apologetic smile. "I should... But I'm not entirely sure if running would be the best thing for me." I admit with a shrug, getting a raised eyebrow and haughty expression from Emi.

"But running's the answer to almost every problem!" She exclaims, getting a grin from me as I shake my head.

"Not if it'll cause your heart to stop. Then, it can be the source of a few big problems." I point out simply with a faint hint of joking still in my voice, pointing my fork at her in emphasis before returning to my eggs. It takes me a span of a few seconds to notice Emi's... somewhat horrified expression when I look up. I can't help but be somewhat confused at Emi's sudden silence until I realize that... well, besides Lilly, Hanako, and the staff here at Yamaku, nobody else was exactly privy to my medical records.

It feels strange to have simply let it slip, especially in such a casual manner. But maybe it'd just been a situation where it was a little called for, trying to get Emi to understand a little bit better that I wasn't just standing her up. Getting her to realize that the whole reason I was here at Yamaku was to avoid doing things like running and having a heart attack. Maybe, just maybe, it was the first time that I'd appropriately managed to 'disclose my condition' because it was relevant to the situation.

"Is that why you didn't show up after the first day?" Emi asks, switching to a somewhat more serious mode. I simply nod, getting a thoughtful expression from Emi for a moment before she breaks out into the usual grin that's far better suited for her. "Probably a good thing then, Hisao. I might've just pushed you to have a heart attack. Then, I would've felt really, really guilty!" She says, doing a fair impression of a mortified expression before breaking out into a grin again. "Still, try to get some exercise, all right?" She asks cheerily, getting another simple nod and smile from me. Emi really does seem like she's just got an incredible amount of energy stored up somewhere. If the energizer bunny ever needed a substitute for a day... Emi perks up as one of the track-team members calls her name. "Gotta go, have fun in the city, Hisao!" She says simply enough, racing off like they're already at the track meet.

I consider wishing her good luck, but by the time that I even manage to get a hand up in farewell, she's already out of sight and earshot. Checking my watch, I realize that I've got to finish up here a little more quickly myself if I really want to continue with this streak of being early. Bolting down the few remaining bites of food, I grab my tray and make towards the nearest garbage. It doesn't take much more than a casual walk to make my way towards the bus-station with the feeling that I'll be there at least ten minutes early, just in case.

Of course, Lilly has me beat.

She's wearing an off the shoulder light brown sweater and a full-length tan skirt, sitting quite composed at a bench next to the bus station. As I close the distance between us, intent on getting close enough to speak and actually be heard, she looks approximately in my direction and asks. "Is that you, Hisao?" Catching me completely off-guard by her ability to notice me before I even spoke.

"Yes. How'd you know?" I ask, the combination of mild surprise and admiration in my voice giving Lilly a reason to smile and laugh lightly.

"Hanako's footsteps are a good deal lighter. And I do believe that she won't be coming until the last minute on this trip. She isn't partial to waiting for the bus out here in the open." Lilly explains simply, her last statement being the reason that her smile and generally light attitude falter somewhat before regaining themselves as she continues on. "Was there anything in particular that you wanted to find in the city today, Hisao? I can't say that I could find everything on my own as of yet either, but I do believe I know where we might find quite a few of the more common things."

"I'm not sure myself yet..." I admit, rubbing the back of my neck as I think of a few of the things that might be of interest to me. "I would definitely be glad to find some book stores, maybe a proper grocery store or market, and a few other odds and ends as we go. So that hopefully I could find them again on my own if I ever really needed them." I say simply, outlining a few rather simple goals for the day out. "Kind of just looking forwards to seeing how the day goes, getting out of Yamaku for a little while."

Lilly gives a single gracious tip of her head at that. A moment or two pass in silence before Lilly seems to recall something, and turns to where I've sat down with a questioning look. "Hisao, would you be willing to help me with something on the trip today?" She asks, to which I nod, before feeling like an idiot after a moment's silence leads Lilly to look slightly concerned.

"Er, sure. Sorry. What is it?" I say, immediately apologizing for the pause.

Lilly clasps her hands in front of her, dropping her voice down somewhat as she proceeds. "It's Hanako's birthday some time from now. But I'm not entirely certain that I'll have many opportunities to be in the city to shop around for her. If you could be so kind as to make a note of anything that strikes you..." She says very simply, smiling and shrugging as she leans back somewhat and finally drops the almost conspiratorial manner. The change in attitude strikes me as a little odd until I remember that Lilly said Hanako's footsteps were quite a bit softer than my own, which meant that they would be a little less likely to be heard 'out of earshot' of normal conversation.

"I'll try, anything in particular?" I ask, pushing the topic just a little bit further, suddenly finding myself somewhat interested in the idea of getting Hanako a present, even if it were still a while in the future. After the past few days with Lilly and Hanako, I feel like it might not be entirely out of place for me to get either of them appropriate gifts come their birthdays or Christmas.

"Anything that strikes you as suitable for her, really. I'm still very much looking for ideas myself." Lilly says with a smile, obviously content with the fact that I'll help her to accomplish something this trip. I file away the note to myself, and cast my glance around for the bus that should be coming any minute, as well as Hanako. I spot them both at almost the same time, with Hanako coming out of the school's gates just as the bus appears in the distance from the same direction. She's wearing an outfit that seems to strive to cover as much of her as possible, a jacket with somewhat longer sleeves, jeans, and a wide-brimmed hat. She gives both of us a small shy wave as she spots us and begins to head over. Lilly grasps her hands together in the littlest bit of worry as I give Hanako a small wave. "Oh my... Hanako may be late for the bus. I do believe that I can hear it."

Impressive though Lilly's acute hearing may be, it does still definitely have limitations compared to sight. I can't help but grin at it.

"Actually, she's coming over right now, she'll beat the bus to us." I say simply, which gives Lilly cause enough for a pleased smile. It takes just a few seconds for Hanako to come over, the bus still a little ways in the distance, maybe a moment or two away. "Good morning, Hanako. Ready to go to the city?" I ask, hoping that the enthusiasm I've got for the trip might be enough to bring her out of the shy state that she seems to be in.

Brushing her bangs even more in front of the blighted half of her face, Hanako looks away and nods once. "Y-yes." She says, voice already somewhat loaded with regret at making the decision to come with us.

Lilly seems somewhat put-off by the response, just like I am, but as we're both fumbling the situation somewhat I feel my mouth working ahead of my mind. "Maybe if we get back early enough, we can have a rematch for chess?" I find myself suggesting, hoping to take Hanako's mind off the impending trip and back to something that she'd fairly obviously enjoyed the other day. Both Lilly and Hanako appear somewhat surprised at the suggestion, although Hanako is quick to give one of her near imperceptible smiles and a quick nod.

"That... s-sounds good." She admits, the tension of the situation diffusing slightly with the simple words.

"Oh, and a rematch does mean that there was an original match. May I ask who won?" Lilly asks, smiling as she finally has a branch of conversation to hang onto a little more comfortably. I can't help but feel a little guilty at the answer. I'd won, not by a large margin, but I'd won both of the games that we'd played yesterday before finally retreating to our respective dormitories. Luckily, Hanako's the one to break the silence so that it doesn't seem like I'd be lording the winnings over Hanako.

"H-Hisao did."

"Ah. Congratulations, Hisao. I've never quite managed to best Hanako at chess." Lilly admits, just as the bus is rolling up to the bus-stop and beginning to break, the squeaking suppressing the start to saying that I'd only won by a little into nothingness. "Well, I suppose that we'd best be off." Lilly says simply, smoothing out her skirt as she stands up and extends her cane gently to the sidewalk, waiting for a few seconds for the relatively few passengers getting off the bus to do so before leading myself and Hanako into it.

"Thanks for coming along, Hanako." I take the opportunity to say as Lilly disappears into the bus, Hanako appearing more than a little hesitant to follow suit. Hanako merely seems to gloss me over somewhat, giving me an inscrutable expression before nodding and heading into the bus. I can't help but make another note in my mind, to redouble the effort to find something appropriate for Hanako's birthday in the city. I've got a feeling that dragging her out of her comfort-zone like this just might not be the best thing for her.