Hisao and Akira(?!): Walla Walla Bing Bang 10/31 Finale!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Hisao and Akira(?!): Walla Walla Bing Bang 10/31 Finale!

Post by Hoitash »

So the time is lost to deride
For a Special on All Hallows Eve,
And I hope you enjoy the ride.
But if not, don’t blame me,
Just blame my friends on the Other Side :wink:

Hisao and Akira(?!): Walla Walla Bing Bang!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum.” –Latin Adage

Chapter One: Calm Before the Fall

When I documented my adventure—for lack of a better term—with Hisao in Hokkaido, I thought I'd had my fill of supernatural bullshit. Unfortunately, Hisao seems to have become some sort of magnet for such things, and worse, he keeps dragging me along with him. I’m not sure why I go along with it, other than the fact that the royalties for these pulp stories will probably put Chise and Carry through college.

This particular story began during the Winter Break before Hanako’s thirtieth birthday, a few days before Christmas. As usual, George and Lilly had traveled from Japan to visit our parents in Scotland. This time, the Nakais had been invited along. That invitation extended to the Setous, too, but Miya had a job in the United States, and had brought Kenji and little Hisato along for the ride. It would be too much to hope, I suppose, for Hisao to have someone as equally mental as himself along to help when shit goes off the rails, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

What was a long and tiring plane ride for Lilly and the others was just a short drive for me, as we would all be staying at my father’s house. It was early evening, a couple hours after lunch when myself, my husband, Daichi, and our twins were waiting with Father and Mother in the parlor.
Yes, the house had a parlor, which seemed to me like an archaic kind of room to have—all you could really do in there is sit and talk, or read—but Father was always one to stand on traditions, whether they were his or not.

Relatively short, both in stature and temperament, my father’s spindly appearance had sometimes been compared to that of a weasel, one that had accidentally ingested steroids. His cropped black hair, which used to be long and kept in a ponytail, was starting to gray around the edges, but, despite his age, his eyes maintained their steely red tint. While I could rant for hours and bore you to tears with anecdotes about the questionable decisions my father has made over the years, to keep this short, I’ll save those for another time—suffice to say he's a hard man to get along with, at least for me. With that said, I will admit that he was a very kind and doting grandfather, and was nothing but courteous to my friends.

That may have been because of Mother's influence, but then, I'm not sure what he was like before they met; she managed to soften him up over the years, I'm sure. Mother, whom Lilly looked so much alike it was almost unsettling, was actually much more like myself: outgoing, casual, and blunt, almost to the point of rudeness. Because she looked so mild-mannered, people often underestimated just how direct she could be, but, while Father had the final word on most all family matters, that only came once Mother had agreed with the decision.

While we waited for word from the Nakais, who were flying in through the remnants of a snowstorm, Father had changed into a navy blue smoking jacket, and sat in an armchair, flipping through a newspaper to pass the time. Mother sat nearby, re-reading a Jane Austin novel, its spine bent and worn from years of use; she probably knew the whole plot by heart, but that never stopped her from re-reading a book she liked.

My husband, Daichi, sat across the room from them, and was also reading a section of the newspaper, but his attention was focused on keeping a watchful eye on our twin, seven-year-old daughters. They sat on the floor nearby, sharing a hushed conversation of a doubtlessly mischievous nature, using their long dark hair to shield themselves from view. The chair I'd picked was across from Daichi, facing the inner wall, and we were all too tense waiting for news from the airport to talk, so I passed the time fiddling with my cellphone.

At the sound of snickering from the twins, I glanced up from my cellular internet surfing and put on my best motherly squint.

“You two aren’t up to something, are you?” I prompted.

Unflinchingly, the two girls turned to me, their expressions seeming a bit too innocent as their eyes—which were so much like their father's dark brown orbs—looked up at me and they replied together, “No, Mother.”

Wondering what they were really up to, I spent a few moments eying them disapprovingly, but soon rolled my eyes and went back to my phone, which was showing a new text message.

"Landed safely, car rented, bags secure, children collected, bundled up and on the road—ten minutes out, I estimate."

Smirking at Hanako’s refusal to use internet shorthand—the writer in her, no doubt—I looked up and announced, “They’ll be here in about ten minutes.”

The tension in the room didn't completely dissipate, but a reasonable amount of anxiety seemed to relax out of everyone's shoulders.

Moments later, springing from her chair energetically, Mother declared, “I’ll go make some tea.”

“Get out the decanter too, dear,” Father said.

Daichi hefted himself up and volunteered, “I’ll get it.”

“Nah, let me,” I said, levering myself up to head for the threshold.

My father looked like he was going to say something, but thought better of it almost immediately and went back to his newspaper. Maybe old age had taught him some things, after all; like, for instance, that the two of us being left alone in the same room together was probably a bad idea. Daichi and I shared a nod, and I headed for the door while he sat back down.

While retrieving the decanter, I stopped to look outside. Even though it was only around mid-afternoon, it was already pitch dark outside, and the storm earlier that day had buried the region with a thick blanket of snow. Fortunately it had ended just after noon, long before our guests were expected to arrive, so by the time Hanako sent that text message, the sky was clear and the roads had been plowed for the most part. Even the stars were plainly visible high above, their pale light reflected by the snow that spanned its way into the distance. At the time I had just chalked it up to the weather being fickle, but that’s the bliss of ignorance for you.

More or less ten minutes later, the doorbell rang, its deep ring sounding more like an ancient church bell than a simple chime. Though the land north of Inverness where the house sat had once belonged to a Scottish baron, the castle had long since been destroyed during one of the Scottish rebellions. It was also close to the beach, and the city itself was only a short drive away, but the history and location weren't factors when Father went looking for a place to build. His intent was to demonstrate the strength, power, and financial prowess of the Satou family by constructing an extravagant mansion on a windswept Scottish bluff.

At least it didn't have a moat.

“I got it,” I called, and headed to the door.

Upon reaching the imposing, arched, double front doors, which were as wide and ostentatious as the rest of the place, I quickly unlocked them and hefted one open. Standing on the stoop were Hisao, Hanako, and their three bright-eyed children.

Hanako held their youngest daughter, Refia, in her arms, bundled up like a big purple puffball with brown hair, while Satomi and Akio—Refia's elder sister and brother—stood at their father's feet, bundled in jackets and scarves to fight back the winter chill. The green holiday bulb overhead was casting strange reflections in Satomi and Hanako’s violet hair, and Akio and Satomi’s purple eyes—or, in Akio’s case, purple flecked with blue. Hisao, along with Akio, their firstborn, looked like they were carrying the entire family's luggage.

“Good, you made it here safely,” I said, stepping aside and gesturing for them to come in, “I was worried that latest storm might block the roads.”

Hanako smiled—no, grinned—and said, “Nothing all-wheel drive and some chains couldn’t solve.”

“I think we can kiss the security deposit goodbye, though,” Hisao remarked.

Hanako shrugged.

“Good to hear,” I said.

The two stepped inside and Hanako set the three year-old Refia down. She wobbled a bit from the weight of her parka before standing up straight and beaming a smile. Akio and Satomi stepped in afterward, and Satomi immediately bolted past me toward the twins, who had apparently followed me to the door.

Akio, the calmer and more polite of the two, and about the same age as the twins, bowed lightly to me and said, “Thanks for having us over.”

Grinning, I replied, “No problem.”

“Satomi!” Hanako chided.

I turned slightly to watch Satomi stop in her greeting of the twins to whirl around toward me, bow, and say, “Thanks for having us over! Please pardon my rudeness.”

“Can we go play now?” the twins asked, their voices blending in near-perfect harmony.

“You’re not gonna wait for Hanaye?” I asked.

“They should be right behind us,” Hisao remarked, peering through the opened door before closing it, “We made sure to keep in sight of each other.”

“I watched them the whole time!” Refia chirped, “Hi, Auntie Akira! Thanks for having us over!”

I grinned and peeled the parka off the young girl before picking her up. “Hey, Refia! Do you like all the snow?”

“Uh-huh! Can we play outside?”

“After dinner,” Hisao replied, “but not too long; you need to get over the jet lag.”

“What about us?” the twins asked, again in unison; I swear they practiced doing that.

“We’ll see,” I replied, “For now, how about keeping an eye out for your Aunt and Uncle?”

“Okay!” the two chirped, and bolted for the door.

Before I could say otherwise they had opened one of the doors and darted out. Hisao smirked at me, and I sighed while rolling my eyes. Hanako was smirking as well, but she was also heading for the door, which opened again before she could reach the handle.
Last edited by Hoitash on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: Hisao and Akira(?!): Walla Walla Bing Bang Halloween Spe

Post by Hoitash »

Part Boo (er, II):

The twins popped back in and announced, “They’re already here!”

“Good,” I said. Setting Refia down, I added, “Then I don’t have to worry about you two catching a cold for not thinking.”

“Sorry,” Chise said.

“We just really miss them,” Carry added.

“I do, too, but I have enough sense to stay inside where it’s warm.”

“Yes, Mother,” they said together, and walked back over to Satomi, who was smirking as she kept an eye on her younger sister; Refia had a tendency to wander off when nobody was looking.

We all stepped back from the door to give the others room to get inside. It must have taken them a while to make their way to the porch, because it was a couple minutes before the doorbell rang.

Quickly opening the door, the cold air blasted me in the face as I stepped aside to let Lilly and her husband George step through. George was helping guide Lilly, who had a small suitcase in her free hand. Behind them were their children, the elder daughter, Hanaye, and younger son, Thomas, who was blind like his mother.

About the same age as Akio and Satomi, respectively, the two black-haired children followed their parents into the house. Hanaye was guiding her younger brother with one arm, and she paused for a moment to close the door with the other. Once the door was closed, Thomas tried to pull away from her, and after a moment Hanaye rolled her hazel eyes and let him go.

“Hey guys,” I greeted, “good to see you made it in one piece.”

“Indeed,” Lilly said, “The plane ride got a bit rough a couple of times, and I was worried we’d be diverted.”

George, who was shorter than his wife, nodded and jerked his free thumb behind him. “I piled up the bags by the door so I could close the car,” he said, then started to add, "I was about to-"

“We can get them!” the twins interrupted, smiles beaming at the new additions, “Hey, Hana-chan!”

Hanaye grinned and waved at the two before turning to me. “Good afternoon, Aunt Akira," she said, politely as her mother would have, "It’s nice to see you again.”

“And you, too,” I replied, “Let me help you with those bags.”

“I can grab ‘em,” George said, unhooking his arm from Lilly and heading for the door, the twins following close behind.

While they bolted outside to grab the luggage—the twins once again lacking proper winter wear—my father stepped into the hallway, grinning widely and looking much younger and gentler than he normally did.

“Lilly!” he called, “You made it!”

Lilly smiled, cheered, “Father!” and moved to step toward the sound of his voice.

Before she could, he bounded over to her and carefully pulled her into a firm embrace.

“It’s good to be back, Father,” Lilly said, “Thank you for having all of us over.”

“Think nothing of it, dearie,” Father stated, “I’ve missed you. We all have.”

“I know the twins missed Hanaye,” I remarked, “speaking of which…”

The door opened and briefly blasted us with cold air again before shutting tightly. George had hefted the bulk of the luggage inside, but Chise and Carry managed to drag some along as well. They both dropped what they were carrying and stepped aside as Hanaye lunged for her grandfather, who had pulled away from Lilly to greet his grandchildren.

“Grandpa!” Hanaye chirped.

Father grinned and scooped her up in a hug, “Hello, how’s my little Blessed Flower?”

“I’m fine! Thanks for having us over!”

“No problem,” Father stated. Lowering her back to the floor, he looked to Thomas and greeted, “Hello, Thomas. How have you been?”

“I’ve been okay, Grandpa,” Thomas replied, stumbling forward to shake hands, “I’m glad we’re visiting again.”

“Me, too,” he said, taking Thomas’ carefully extended hand briefly, “Shame you couldn’t make it sooner, though.”

“Sorry about that,” George said, looking up from the bags he had just set down. Smiling, he stepped over to his father-in-law and shook his hand. “Good to see you again, Sir.”

“Likewise,” Father stated. Glancing to Hisao, Hanako, and their kids, he added, “and good to see you again, too.”

“Mr. Satou,” Hisao greeted. Bowing, he said, “Thank you for having us over.”

Father nodded and ended the handshake with George. “The tea should be ready soon, along with some drinks," he explained, "Dinner should be in a few hours, so after tea you can move your luggage and settle in. For now, though... it’s cold outside, you've had a long flight, and should warm up a bit in the parlor," he gestured down the hallway, "This way, please.”

“Is Mother in the kitchen, then?” Lilly asked as Father started leading her to the living room.

“Indeed,” Father replied, “Daichi’s handling the drinks.”

As we walked, I felt a tug at my shirt sleeve. Looking down, I saw Chise and Carry looking up at me with the forlorn eyes of a child doomed to spending time listening to old people.

“Do we have to?” they asked.

I raised an eyebrow. “Can you behave if you don’t?”

The two nodded fervently, and, for a moment, I believed them. Still, better she let it out than bottle it up and explode; I learned that growing up the hard way.

So I grinned and nodded, “Stay low until dinner, okay?”

“Hanaye, too?” Carry asked, pointing to her cousin as she waited.

“I should stick with Tom,” she said.

“Don’t worry about it,” the twins said, “He’ll be fine.”

Hanaye looked up at me. “Well... If it’s okay with you, Aunt Akira.”

Still grinning, I nodded. “Bonus points if you can grab Satomi on the way.”

“Thanks, Mom!” the twins said, and, grabbing Hanaye with one hand each, they were off.

When they were out of sight I went into the parlor, where everyone was already seated and being served by my mother. Daichi was handing Hisao a shot of scotch from the decanter next to the tea set. When he saw me enter he smiled and asked where the twins were.

“They must’ve snuck off somewhere,” I replied, “They are getting remarkably good at that...”

“They have your free spirit,” Father said.

“Apparently so does Hanaye,” George remarked, “Or was she kidnapped along the way?”

“She had to use the bathroom,” I lied.

I know, I’m a terrible influence. See if I care.

“Mom?” Satomi said, looking to Hanako, who was sipping her tea, “May I please be excused to use the restroom?”

Hanako glanced at me and smirked from behind her mug. “You may," she replied agreeably, "And, if you run into Hanaye on the way... you might want to help her find her way back.”

“More like the other way around,” Akio muttered.

Hanako glanced at her son, “Did you say something, Akio?”

“No, Mother.”

Ah, the chaos of three families intermingling, bonded by blood and trust. Or something sappy like that. All I know was it was fun to let the kids wander while Father was playing host. Okay, maybe that was a bit much, but everyone was going to be there for a while, and the kids missed each other, so it all worked out anyway.

If only I could have enjoyed it all without the haunting memories that followed.

+++
Next Chapter

Yes, it’s that time of year again, where I use the flimsiest excuse to appeal to the lowest common denominator of action fandom in the name of having an excuse to write said action genre.

It also gives me a chance to collaborate with my editor. Speaking of, I would once again like to thank Helbereth for making my inane alcoholic syphilitic ramblings into prose worthy of the lovechild of Larry Correia and Sandy Mitchell.

So stay tuned for chills, thrills, and campy action fun! Concluding with a Halloween Finale Double Feature (I think)!

And for those interested in other Halloween shenanigans, consult:

Hisao and Akira(?!)- Terror in the Night! and Hisao and Kenji- Concrete Jungle
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

All that reminiscing at the beginning has a few jumbled tenses, but nothing major.
, but, then,
You know I'm a fan of commas, but this might be a bit much ^^
trepidation seemed to relax out of everyone's shoulders.
I don't think trepidation can do that.

I was a bit disappointed that Soon-Hee is not a part of this, but I'm sure you'll make this entertaining just the same.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:All that reminiscing at the beginning has a few jumbled tenses, but nothing major.
, but, then,
You know I'm a fan of commas, but this might be a bit much ^^
That does seem a bit excessive.
trepidation seemed to relax out of everyone's shoulders.
I don't think trepidation can do that.
I'm not sure on that myself, but I adjusted it anyway.
I was a bit disappointed that Soon-Hee is not a part of this, but I'm sure you'll make this entertaining just the same.
You might have to wait until Spring for her to be in a story again, sadly. As for entertaining, the word is on my business cards, so I better deliver :).
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

This is probably before the Manila Tales, isn't it?
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Serviam wrote:This is probably before the Manila Tales, isn't it?
Indeed. Manila Tales is set in late July of 2024. This is set in December of 2020.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

“The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.” –Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith novelization

Previous Chapter

Chapter Two: The Looming Storm

It didn't take long after dinner for everyone to head off to bed. Scottish winters have a pall over them, and, fondness or not, when combined with jet lag and a heavy meal, it's enough to put pretty much anyone to bed. Except, apparently, myself and Hisao. Despite the recent storm, the sky had become completely clear, and the stars above were reflecting dully on the surrounding snow, so, shortly after dinner, Hisao had headed outside in a parka with a thermos and his telescope.

I guess he always packs a telescope, regardless of how practical it might be.

Sometime later, I realized that it was getting late, and Hisao had been out there for quite a while; when he went into full scientist mode, he tended to lose track of inconsequential things, like time, sleep, and hypothermia. Everyone else had gone to bed, and Hanako wouldn't be happy if she found a Popsicle where her husband should be the next morning, so I figured I ought to try and get him back inside.
There was a patio in the backyard, but the snow and cold made it impractical during the winter, so my parents were content to let it snow over, shoveling out a few inches by the door so the back exit was clear. Hisao had managed to clear a small circle out from the door, where he sat on a blanket with his telescope, surrounded by unkempt piles of snow that glittered in the night.

Even with one eye jammed against the lens of the telescope, he noticed my emergence from the warm house, acknowledging my arrival with a lethargic wave of one hand.

“Good evening,” he said in a detached, cerebral tone, “Come to check on me?”

“Wanted to make sure you weren't a Nerdsicle.”

“I’m fine,” he said, tapping a large metal thermos by his foot with one gloved knuckle, “Thanks to coffee... and Mr. Johnnie Walker.”

Nodding slightly, I smirked and jerked a thumb toward the door. “You thinkin’ of heading in soon?”

Hisao adjusted his telescope slightly, seeming to ignore my question.

When it seemed clear he meant to stay for a while, I rolled my eyes, found a clear spot on the blanket, and sat down beside him. Acknowledging my gesture, he passed me the thermos and a metal cup, from which I poured myself some of the fortified coffee. As I handed back the thermos, I realized his eye had never left the telescope.

“I can’t believe how bright it is after that storm,” he said, tweaking one of the knobs slightly.

“That’s the northern seas for you,” I mused. Following the direction of his telescope with my eyes, I added, “Definitely a better sight than earlier, though...”

“There is a kind of elegance to a snowstorm,” he remarked, turning his free eye toward me, “Especially if there’s lightning.”

Swirling my cup of scotch-laced coffee, I drolled, “You were one of those kids who liked thunderstorms, weren’t you?”

Closing his free eye again, he countered, “More that I respect their power." After making a few more minute adjustments, he continued, “Part of being a scientist is being able to admire raw, unadulterated power; to shape the very understanding of that power, mold it however we please, redefine it, refine it, and make it our own. Power unexplored is power wasted.”

Suddenly curious, I looked down at my cup and wondered aloud, “Just how much scotch did you put in this?”

Finally turning away to look at me, Hisao shrugged as he remarked, “What? I can’t be a little melodramatic? I nearly lost my lunch up there during that storm! Are blizzards like that common this time of year?”

“They happen every now and again,” I replied.

Hisao said nothing and went back to his telescope.

The cold was starting to get to me, except my hands, which reminded me I was holding a cup of coffee. Giving it a tentative sniff, I noted that it smelled distinctly of coffee, but not strongly enough to mask the overwhelming scent of alcohol.

“So, how much scotch did you put in here?” I asked again.

“Not sure," he replied, “It’s the Blue Label, though.”

“Didn’t you have a shot of thirty year old Macallan’s before dinner?” I asked, to which he nodded, still peering through the lens. “Then another two with dinner?” I added, “Plus however much of this you've had while out here stargazing.”

Turning away from the telescope and rolling his eyes, he protested, “Are you implying that I may not be entirely sober?”
“I’m just saying," I reasoned, "maybe you’re not in the right mind to stay out here looking at stars and freezing your ass off.”

Hisao just shrugged and went back to fiddling with his telescope, pretending to ignore my sound observation.

Rolling my eyes, I gave the spiked coffee a tentative sip. The scotch’s smooth, oaky flavor seeped through the bitter brew, but, rather surprisingly, the coffee flavor beat out the alcohol. Still, I knew most of the burn going down my throat wasn't coming from the lukewarm liquid. Finishing the cup, I couldn’t help but wonder sometimes how Hisao’s heart didn’t explode.

It wasn’t until several minutes later that he tore himself away from the telescope and announced, “I guess I should head back inside. It’s getting colder.”

Trying not to seem too eager, I nodded and hefted myself up slowly while Hisao tried to lever himself up as well. He didn’t quite manage it, though, and instead fell into the snow bank he'd shoveled with an inglorious plop.

“Making a snow angel?” I quipped, chuckling as he flailed his arms.

Stopping his flailing, he shrugged and stared up at the sky, his eyes slightly unfocused as he slurred, “Wan'ed to look at the stars s’more.”

“Well, if you can snark, you can walk. So, c’mon,” I said, moving over next to him, “Let’s get you inside.”

Hisao frowned up at me and whined, “Aw, c’mon Nee-san, five more minutes?”

Snorting, I grabbed him by the shoulder to help him along. “Up you get, before you catch a cold.”

Hisao sighed and used what strength remained in his legs to heft himself up to his feet. Wobbling, he leaned on my shoulder for a bit, then slowly righted himself and turned toward the back door.

Keeping my hands up in case he needed further assistance, I followed him for a few steps, but a sudden flash of light in the corner of my eye caught my attention.

“What the…?” I mumbled in surprise, turning out toward the vast snowy expanse.

Searching for whatever it was I thought I had seen, I found nothing but darkened snow banks stretching into the horizon; whatever had made that light was either gone, or I was imagining things. But, scotch usually didn't work on me that quickly, so I kept looking.

Having turned to follow my search, Hisao whispered, “What did you see?”

“…I’m not sure,” I replied, “Maybe nothing. Probably nothing....”
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

Before I could convince myself I was imagining things, something flashed again. It was an eerie, dark green flash, and lasted all of a single heartbeat; it was there and gone so quickly that I was surprised to have seen it at all, actually. A few seconds later another one occurred, but this one lasted a full second before the horizon once again faded to indigo. With the display seeming to have ended, I turned to Hisao, who now looked stone-cold sober, and very nervous.

“Did you see that?” I asked.

Hisao nodded, crouched down slightly, and started sidling toward where the light had been.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“What does it look like?” he replied with a raised eyebrow, “I’m gonna go investigate the creepy green flash.”

“That… seems like a bad idea,” I countered, “Usually you’re supposed to walk away from creepy shit like that.”

“Most people aren’t paid to go towards it,” Hisao retorted, the glint in his eye making me feel nervous.

Given the late hour, and the state of our collective sobriety, I quipped, “You're not on the clock, Master Detective.”

Hisao replied with an annoyed grunt, and kept walking.

It seemed that no matter what I said, he was going to investigate, so I had three choices: go with him, go back inside, or stand there being uncharacteristically indecisive. My eyes turned from Hisao, his gait slow and cautious, to the back door, which beckoned me back to the supposed safety of my father’s home, and finally to the source of the green light, which had once again flashed for a heartbeat.

In the instant of that fourth green flash, it became clear that I really only had one choice, and it was the one that I dreaded most. Sighing and cursing whatever sick joke God had planned for me that evening, I slowly started following after Hisao, quickening my pace for a bit to catch up with him.

Glancing back with one eye, Hisao smirked ever-so-slightly and inquired, “Tagging along, then?”

Shrugging resignedly, I quipped, “Someone’s gotta drag your ass back to Hana when you collapse.”

My mention of his wife seemed to give Hisao a moment of pause, after which he snorted. “Cute, now try and keep up, and lay low.”

The “keep your trap shut” was implied by the growl in his voice, so I obediently kept my lips sealed. He was the private detective, after all. Even if he was just a glorified clerk—or so he claimed, at least.

The source of the light was over a small, rolling hill at the edge of our property. Since there weren’t any shepherds for several miles around, Father had never bothered to fence the property in, and the hill was as close to a property line as we had.

The closer we got, the more nervous Hisao seemed to become, and the continued green flashes weren't helping to improve his mood. As we crested a small rise, his steps slowed to careful shuffles, apparently in an effort to avoid crunching the snow. Clumsily, I tried to match his method, but my feet somehow managed to land in all the crunchiest snow. That didn't bother him, though. If anything, he seemed to appreciate my company; every few seconds he would glance at me, and the tense, thin line that had become his mouth relaxed a little.

Before we crested the hill, he got on all fours and started crawling through the snow, lying as low to the ground as possible. I copied him, getting a face full of burning cold snow for my efforts. The winter chill was starting to seep through my clothes, but I shoved my discomfort aside and kept an eye on Hisao, who had started to freak me out. Whatever he thought that light was, it had to have been bad, and he was acting rational enough that I couldn't just chalk his behavior up to the booze.

Hisao was the first to peer over the hill, and when he did I saw his entire body tense. In my blissful ignorance, I guessed it was something unusual, but nothing quite so terrifying as a rampaging werewolf; I remember thinking that the chance of something like that happening twice in my lifetime had to be astronomical. I was wrong. Still, I had to know; whatever it was, it was way too close to the house for comfort. And, if something really weird was going on, we’d have to call the cops—or so I thought at the time—because that's what normal people do.

Unfortunately, with Hisao, things are never that easy.

Gulping back the part of my brain that was urging me to pretend this was all just the alcohol-induced delusion of an overworked science teacher who spent too much time with a crazy man and go back to the warmth and safety of my father's house, I carefully crawled up next to Hisao and peered over the hill.

I still have nightmares about what I saw.

In the flatlands beyond the valley stretched more snow, a few scraggly trees, and an old rusted pickup truck that was quite out of place. Someone in a dark coat stood near the back of the truck, fiddling with a device that appeared to have materialized out of a Gothic novel; propped up in the truck bed, it looked like a massive lightning rod, forged from scrap metal.

Attached via jumper cables to a ring of car batteries that surrounded the truck, it was linked to a crudely fashioned Tesla coil, which was about the size of a person. The coil bristled with ominous green electricity, giving off a faint glow that lit an eerie mass near the back of the truck. For a few moments I deluded myself into thinking it was a tarp, or a pile of wood, or something else that was completely normal, but soon I had to give in to the crazy, fucked up reality.

It was a pile of corpses.

Laying haphazardly over the freshly-fallen snow, they were terribly jumbled together, so I couldn't tell where one body ended and another began, but there were several of them piled there. They all looked both disgustingly old and disturbingly fresh, like someone had preserved them in pickling fluid, no doubt for some horrible reason—there really isn't any other kind of reason when dealing with a pile of rotting corpses. Strangely, there was no smell of decayed flesh; I thought I could smell formaldehyde, but maybe I was just imagining things.

I hoped I was imagining all of it, really.

Their ligaments were intact, and some of them still had hair, but none of them had clothes. It was difficult to distinguish whether they were male or female, but I assumed there were both. What skin remained clinging to their bones had already decayed and mottled into various sickly, gangrenous colors. Their jaws hung open, distended in death, leaving their moldered maws frozen in anguish, the horror of their final moments etched into their putrefied faces.

Stupefied, I was too transfixed to turn away, or even move.

Catching my attention, the figure touched the clear sphere of the coil and pointed at one of the corpses. As we watched, the coil began to course with more electricity, and we heard a dull hum. Over the hum I could hear a recitation from the figure, but I couldn't tell what they were saying. A moment later, there was a bright flash of green light from the coil, and a blast of lightning shot into one of the cadavers. A whiff of burning hair caught in my nose as one of the corpses slowly rose to its feet, then turned to face the figure.

Luckily, I was too horrified to react verbally.

Apparently pleased, the figure spoke again, this time sounding more commanding, but still not clearly enough for me to understand. The newly-resurrected corpse then began ambling away from the pile of decedents, its legs moving stiffly, but with purpose. After a few rigid steps, it stopped and turned to stare blankly into the distance, which is when I finally noticed the line of walking dead—or, standing dead, as they were.
There were maybe a dozen of them lined up like soldiers, standing in two rows, all staring blankly. Alongside, four older-looking corpses, colored a mottled blue, crouched on all fours; seemingly corralling the fresh undead, they reminded me of guard dogs. At that thought, I finally managed to break my eyes away from the scene and turn toward Hisao.

Reading the panic in my eyes, he returned a knowing glance and jerked his head toward the house, indicating that it was time we left—I wasn't about to argue. Nodding swiftly, I swallowed hard and followed him back down the hill, crawling at first, and then walking, making sure to keep our footfalls from crunching too loudly.

When we had gotten far enough for our voices not to carry, I caught his arm and hissed, “What the hell was that?”

“Did you hear what she was saying?” Hisao asked.

“She? What? No, I was a little distracted by the zombies!”

“Calm down,” Hisao instructed, “I think that might have been… Spanish?”

“What? That makes no sense. Nothing we just saw made any sense!”

I was babbling and I knew it. We’ll see how calm you are after watching someone raise the dead who isn’t Jesus H. Christ himself.

Hisao seemed frighteningly calm as he looked up at the stars to collect his thoughts. Perhaps more accurately, they began spewing out of him, seemingly at random.

“If I remember my time with the college Occult Club right, zombies were originally African. So why would she be speaking Spanish? Wait, you remember the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? There was that voodoo woman… that’s it,” Hisao snapped his fingers, “Voodoo! She’s a witch doctor, which means she’s from… Haiti, maybe? Or there was that Disney movie with that guy from New Orleans. Anyway, if she’s managed to do that freaky shit without using an African language… shit, we need to get outta here.”

Thoroughly annoyed with his rambling, I hissed again, “Do you hear yourself?” I gave his arm a shake, “Why the hell would there be a voodoo witch doctor in Scotland?!”

From behind us I heard a calm, almost bemused voice reply, “I had frequent flyer miles.”

+++
Next Chapter

Dun dun DUNNNNN!

Somethin’ be creepin’ and bumpin’ in the night, methinks. And it ain’t Refia.

Oh, and updates are now on Friday, to be clear.
Last edited by Hoitash on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dewelar

Re: Hisao and Akira(?!): Walla Walla Bing Bang Updated 10/3

Post by dewelar »

Verrry interesting...as usual, I intend to enjoy this thoroughly until it gets bogged down in the inevitable battle scenes :wink:.

Of course, the pedant in me must mention that if the witch doctor is from Haiti, she's more likely speaking French or the associated creole than Spanish, but would Hisao know that?
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

dewelar wrote:Verrry interesting...as usual, I intend to enjoy this thoroughly until it gets bogged down in the inevitable battle scenes :wink:.
I make no apologies for my pandering. I can't please everyone, and I have made peace with that.

Although it's good to know I can write multi-genre works if needed :)
Of course, the pedant in me must mention that if the witch doctor is from Haiti, she's more likely speaking French or the associated creole than Spanish, but would Hisao know that?
Depends on how old she is, doesn't it :wink:?
Last edited by Hoitash on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Hoitash wrote:
dewelar wrote:Of course, the pedant in me must mention that if the witch doctor is from Haiti, she's more likely speaking French or the associated creole than Spanish, but would Hisao know that?
Depends on how old she is, doesn't it :wink:?
True enough :) . I sometimes wonder at Hisao's ability to make just the right leap of logic in these stories...but not enough to keep them from entertaining me :D.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

“If I remember my time with the college Occult Club right, zombies were originally African. So why would she be speaking Spanish? Wait, you remember the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? There was that voodoo woman… that’s it,” Hisao snapped his fingers, “Voodoo! She’s a witch doctor, which means she’s from… Haiti, maybe? Or there was that Disney movie with that guy from New Orleans. Anyway, if she’s managed to do that freaky shit without using an African language… shit, we need to get outta here.”
I sometimes wonder at Hisao's ability to make just the right leap of logic in these stories...
I'd argue that it is NOT the right leap of logic - at least for omeone claiming a scientific mind ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
I sometimes wonder at Hisao's ability to make just the right leap of logic in these stories...
I'd argue that it is NOT the right leap of logic - at least for omeone claiming a scientific mind ;-)
What about a scientific mind that's been hanging out with Kenji for nearly half his life?

And don't forget Mr. Clarke. I think he might have something to say about this.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I'd just like to mention that I bear no blame for the potential cultural inaccuracies of this story, previously or henceforth, and that all such references are the responsibility of the author, that being Hoitash, rather than his sleep-deprived editor.

Also, who's to say that by 2020 there won't have been a Spanish revival in Haiti? It's also very easy to mix up French and Spanish since they sound similar and use a lot of the same structure, especially when you're spying over a wintry bluff.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:I'd just like to mention that I bear no blame for the potential cultural inaccuracies of this story, previously or henceforth, and that all such references are the responsibility of the author, that being Hoitash, rather than his sleep-deprived editor.

Also, who's to say that by 2020 there won't have been a Spanish revival in Haiti? It's also very easy to mix up French and Spanish since they sound similar and use a lot of the same structure, especially when you're spying over a wintry bluff.
Besides, the Spanish were there first. Well, the locals where there first, but most of them were worked to death on the sugar plantations.

Which would probably preclude a revival. I mean, Haiti was a big deal back in the day because it had become independent, and I'm rambling, sorry.

I'm gonna go drink in the corner.