Learning the blues. Act 3: Scene 2 revives from the grave

WORDS WORDS WORDS

TheTealeaf

Re: Learning the blues (HisaoxOC route) Act 2 Scene 1 up!

Post by TheTealeaf »

Well after open evening, talk like a pirate day and marking 60 exams I still manage to churn out a 3.6k chapter. I've read over it 3 times but there may still be mistakes. Enjoy!

---------------

As act 1 ends the cinematic begins.

The screen fades out to black, then pulls out into an old ‘movie screen’ style. On the screen from a young Ayanes perspective she is learning to walk from the help of her father, who helps her to her feet and then holds her hand. The perspective then changes to the side of Ayane and as she walks she ages. Her father let’s her hands go and she walks forward on her own until she falls to her hands and knees. Perspective changes to Ayanes again and she looks up from the ground to find four hands waiting for her. The hands belong to Arashi, Akihiro, Akiho and Hisao. They all help her to her feet and they join hands in a line and walk off screen. The opening screen of Act Two is a masquerade ball mask lying on the ground with couples feet in background presumably mid dance.

Act 2: Finding your feet

Scene 1

Louder than words

The morning after the festival is always the worst. It’s another night of a thrown off course sleep schedule (Nurse will kill me if he finds out, keeping to a strict sleep schedule helps prevent/regulate the chances of me having a seizure)

The blaring of my alarm clock is like a siren blasting into my ear as it rouses me from slumber. My hand slaps it off, knocking it to the floor in the process. It is way, way too early for this but due to the fact exams begin to day I need to stir from the warmth of my cosy, cosy bed.

Morning routine is on automatic. Kettle on, stagger into bathroom, shower, towel off, stagger back to room, make myself a coffee and then glug down the brew of life with my pills. The routine and caffeine rouse me from automatic into first gear and I can begin to assimilate more.

Uniform and eye patch on. I hate the bows on the uniform, always a pain to do and I’m always worried the skirt is too short and I’ll end up flashing someone a lovely view of my behind. My brain sleepily provides me with the fact that Hisao had that view yesterday morning due to me running to the shower in front of him.

Not my brightest of ideas.

Mind you I often have a lot of not-so-bright ideas. Some go well… others… not so well.

I yawn widely and pick up my study books and writing materials. I also prepare a thermos of coffee. I am something of a coffee fanatic and I share this taste with my older brother Akihiro. He often supplies me with really good quality coffee for birthdays and Christmas and I make sure I stash some for mornings like this. I also need cups, some sugar and a sealed jug of milk… check.

All I’m missing now is Fujiko. I leave my room, lock up and trot down the dorm corridor. Fujiko is three doors down from me so less than thirty seconds later I’m rapping on Fujikos door.

It opens promptly and Fujikos beaming face meets mine. She’s a morning person. I loathe morning people until I’ve digested my coffee. “Morning Fujiko” I mumble, yawning afterwards.

“Good morning Ayane!” She chirps. Ugh… morning people. Why are they so cheery in the mornings? She smothers a giggle and says nothing more; she knows far too well what I’m like in the mornings. We descend the stairs and leave the dorms heading out into the school grounds.

Like I said, it’s early, barely another soul in sight. Apart from two figures waiting near the girls’ dorm in the early morning light, the place looks and feels like a ghost town. Arashi and Hisao are waiting for us as we leave the dorms, Arashi carrying a large picnic basket and Hisao has the blanket. Hisao looks like I feel, so he looks pretty sleep deprived but upon seeing me, a small grin lights his face and a small dusting of pink graces his cheeks.

I feel my own matching grin settle into place as we meet the boys. I introduce Fujiko to Hisao properly as the first course of action as she didn’t get much of a chance to meet over the previous few days. “Jakuzure Fujiko, Meet Nakai Hisao” I say with a sleepy flourish.

Fujiko actually curtsies; freaking curtsies at Hisao and shakes his hand. Hisao and Fujiko exchange the usual greetings and I nudge Arashi, signing [good morning] at him. He waves one hand back, beaming widely; he’s another morning person.

Hisao and Fujiko exchange greetings and we begin to make our way onto the school lawns. “Hisao how did you know about the exam breakfast?” I ask. It had become something of a routine that after the festival, the morning of the exams, we three, that is Fujiko, Arashi and myself would go out onto the school lawns and have breakfast along with cramming for the exams that day.

A scowl crosses Hisaos face and I see my brother hide a grin behind his free hand “Because someone banged on my door rather early this morning. I thought Emi had decided to break my door down to make me go running!” Fujiko stifles a giggle behind one of her sleeves at Hisaos slightly terrified expression at the though of the pint sized runner kicking his door in.

We quickly reach the lawns and I help Hisao set the blanket up. We all settle down, Fujiko making sure her right side is facing everyone so she can see and hear everyone. I give everyone a cup a crack open the thermos as Arashi begins serving. He’s been a busy bee I realise as he produces a lot of different dishes from the picnic basket.

There’s a mixture of western breakfast items and traditional Japanese breakfast items. Another thermos joins mine and the smell of fresh miso soup joins the heady aroma of coffee. There are pickled vegetables, grilled fish, bacon, scrambled eggs and even some western cereal. I lose track after the cereals come out as the siren call of my coffee is too much to resist and I pour myself a cup, savouring in the smell before slowly drinking the glorious, glorious brew down.

I can see Hisao eyeing the coffee thermos “Want some?” I ask, offering him the thermos.

Hisao frowns. I can see he’s tempted but in an unconscious gesture his hand comes up to rub his chest. “I’m not sure coffee is the best thing for me at the moment” He says slowly. “It smells gorgeous though” He says, a disappointed look in his eyes.

I eye his hand that is still rubbing his chest. I can probably assume he’s here for some kind of heart problem then. “It is. Akihiro, my older brother gets good coffee for me. It’s no problem though, Fujiko did you bring the juice?” I ask.

“Yup!” She says, rummaging through the bag she brought with her. Assorted fruit juices join the coffee thermos in the middle of the blanket and Hisao takes one. Melon I note as I have another cup of coffee. Fujiko pours herself a cup and one for Arashi and drinks hers down slowly.

Hands clapping together draw our attention. Arashi holds up his white board with the words [Dig in!] written on the board along with a smiley face and thumbs up.

You can be such an idiot sometimes brother.

We snap chopsticks open and dig in to the feast that Arashi has prepared. I think that Akihiro would be proud of the food laid out as we all tuck into the feast.

For several minutes we simply enjoy the food and the cool morning air. Hisao keeps sneaking glances at me whilst we eat and I can tell something is on his mind. I find him surprisingly easy to read, which is odd as normally the only people I find easy to read are my immediate family. I struggle to read Fujiko sometimes. The food supplies are dwindling so we break open the books and begin the arduous process of cramming for today’s exams.

“So what’s on the agenda today?” I ask, through a mouthful of fish.

[Maths] Arashi signs and once I translate Hisao nods in agreement.

“Maths” The word leaves a foul taste in my mouth. “I hate maths” There’s a hum of agreement from Fujiko.

“Maths isn’t so bad” Hisao says, “its a little like science. Formulas and memorisation mainly, not as interesting as science but it’s not difficult”

“I prefer my science when the word ‘Fiction’ follows it” I mutter and I draw a cheeky grin from Hisao.

“Not your best subject then?” He asks

I shake my head “I struggle with Mutous lectures. I struggle with sciences in general” I admit. “English is easily my best subject” Arashis head bobs up and down in agreement as well.

“Oh?” Hisao says “Opposite problem here” He rubs the back of his head awkwardly “I struggle with English”

“Don’t worry” Fujiko says, rolling her good eye “These two have an unfair advantage just like our class rep Lilly”

“Oh?” Hisao asks, his voice alight with curiosity, “What is this unfair advantage?”

“Dad was English” I say “We grew up listening to English at home. It’s our second language. Same situation as Lilly” I’m omitting a lot of information here and I can see the glance thrown my way by Arashi.

The Tsukino family is… complicated. Akihiro and Akiho are only our half siblings. We have different mothers. Like I said it’s complicated and the less Hisao knows at the moment, the better.

“That really is an unfair advantage” Hisao jokes and my darkening thoughts are abruptly derailed.

“Less talking more studying!” Fujiko says, huffing and opening her maths textbook. “I want to pass this exam this time!” We share easy grins and we all put our noses into books and for the next hour before classes start, we share an easy camaraderie as we cram and test each other in preparation for the dreaded maths exam.

When the bell goes, it is with great reluctance that we disperse to class, packing the picnic up as we do.

The air in the corridors is one of tense anticipation as we head to homeroom. I get the feeling lots of people haven’t revised and are hoping for the best. Homeroom carries on as normal and then the feeling of dread intensifies in the classroom as the maths teacher enters the room. Hisao and Arashi are lucky, they don’t have maths until later, I have to suffer first!

As the paper comes round and the exam begins, I take a look at the first questions and struggle to hold a groan back and smash my head against the desk. This is going to be a nearly two hour-long torture session instead of a maths exam.

When the teacher finally tells us time is up, I’m not the only one who heaves a sigh of relief, amid the clatter of pens and pencils hitting desks in an odd synchronisation. My brain is swimming with maths formula and numbers and I think I feel the beginnings of a headache incoming.

I still have two more classes before lunch. I glance to my left and Fujiko gives me a discrete thumbs up. I let my head hit the desk.

I can’t take two more classes… Someone or something just kill me now!

My pleas aren’t answered though and I resign myself to more classes before lunch. The maths teacher leaves and the heavily pregnant Ms Miyagi waddles into class. It’s a revision session for the exam later in the week so I coast by in the lesson, only paying a little attention to the class.

It’s her last statement that gets my attention. “Now as you are all aware” And here she indicates her baby bump “I am having a baby and as a result I will be leaving Yamaku after the three day weekend. A new replacement teacher has been found and she will be introducing herself at some point in the following weeks” We, the class, had all realised that she would be leaving us at some point but it was a surprise that they had already found someone to cover Ms Miyagi. Guess whoever she is, she really impressed the school.

In the lull of teachers switching, the class bubbles into gentle chatter. “Wonder who the new teacher will be” Fujiko asks, leaning over towards me.

“Beats me” I say with a shrug. “We’ll find out in due time, no point worrying about it, so long as whoever it is isn’t a giant bitch” I see a frown from Lilly. Oops. Guess she heard me swearing. She doesn’t like it when I’m ‘uncouth’ but it’s something that happens on a regular basis, something I picked up from my older brother.

It’s then that Mutou walks in, mumbling about being late. Yay… time to be bamboozled by science.

I really do try to pay attention to the lesson but my mind wanders off as I begin to hear terms that I struggle to understand. I am never going to pass the science exam in a couple of days.

My mind wanders to plans for the weekend. Akiho mentioned that Akihiro would be in the city, so I may pop into the city to see him. It’s at this moment my attention slips and my head slips out of my hand and impacts the desk. The thud draws the attention of Mutou and the frown on his face makes me try to pay more attention to the lecture.

That and the throbbing headache I now have made for excellent focus tools.

Not.

Thankfully the rest of the lesson passes quickly after my slip up and lunch rolls around. The bell goes and students quickly leave the room apart from a few in the back row and Fujiko. She’s prepared lunch for herself and I realise that… I forgot.

Damn it.

Guess I’m going to go hungry. I pout at Fujiko but she hides her box from me. “Uh… Ayane?” Hisaos hesitant voice comes into the classroom. He’s holding what looks like a large collection of yen notes in one hand.

“Hi Hisao” I wave him over and I can hear murmurs from some of the other students in the room. “Where’d you get the cash?” I ask.

Hisao appears uncomfortable “Your brother gave it to me. Wrote on his board saying that you’d probably forgotten lunch that I need something to eat as well and then thrust the money in my hand” He pauses and looks at the notes “It’s a lot of money Ayane”

I sigh “Not really” I say finally, trying not to meet Hisaos disbelieving look. “Look Hisao” I say, cutting him off “My family is… wealthy. Dad made a lot of money before…” I grit my teeth. “Before he died. Mother has helped manage that wealth and all the restaurants Dad opened are still bringing in money. What Arashi has given you is probably a small percent of his monthly allowance Mother has given him” There is a stunned silence from Hisao and I feel embarrassed.

I’ve never really flaunted the money I have. A lot of it goes unused as Akiho insists on sending me manga and anime ‘care packages’ and Akihiro supplies my expensive coffee and some of my reading materials that he gets sent over via the Internet.

Arashi is a lot more free with his money and spends it fairly liberally and often on other people. I do spend my money on other people I just dislike flaunting it so much.

The money comes with strings attached though. Good grades and that we ‘toe the family line’. That means if Mother asks us to do something we do it. Akiho and Akihiro do sometimes ignore Mother but for the most part they tolerate her and have the money supplement their income.

“Hisao” I say softly “I’m sorry if my brother made you uncomfortable. He can be very… overly generous at times but you need to know Hisao that the money doesn’t bring me happiness. That’s my siblings and you two that make me happy” I say indicating Fujiko and Hisao “And sometimes the money brings more trouble than it’s worth.” I meet Hisaos gaze steadily “Please don’t treat me any differently because of this fact”

He nods once solemnly and then smiles, rising from the seat he’d taken. “Well then, I shall go get us lunch and come back.” He takes my hand and then asks impishly “Is there anything that milady would like in particular?”

The whispers rise in volume and I feel a flush creeping over my face “I’m not a fussy eater Hisao, quite happy with anything, so long as it’s edible”

I gently try to pull my hand from his grasp but he tightens his hold slightly as he bends his lips to my knuckles and lightly kisses one of them as he says “Of course, as milady wishes” Did his voice just go husky?

I think I must be glowing bright neon pink as he walks out of the classroom. The whispers have reached a fever pitch around me and I feel slightly pole axed. Fujiko giggles and I feel slightly indignant. That smooth prick got one over on me!

“That was so sweet!” Fujiko says, still giggling.

“It was not sweet” I growl “He’s trying to one up from last night”

I immediately regret that sentence as Fujiko pounces on the gossip with a gleam in her eye “Oh… care to share Tsukino?” She says sweetly, bringing her desk closer.

“I kissed him on the cheeks last night when he brought me back to the dorms after the festival” I say, still feeling highly embarrassed by Hisaos antics. “He seemed rather stunned by that fact”

Fujikos mouth goes into a little ‘o’ of surprise “You kissed him?”

“Less than a second on each cheek” I grouse, arms folding “Just saying thank you for the evening”

“Oh Ayane” Fujiko grins and I can hear her teasing tone “You my dear” she says, poking me in the chest “Must quite like young Mr Nakai”

“He’s a good guy,” I admit. “Poor bastard looked so lost when I saw him last week and he had Shizune and Lilly locking horns near him. I just… wanted to help him,” I say.

Fujiko leans back in her chair and smiles. “Will he get an invite?”

“An invite? Fujiko dear what on earth are you on about?” I ask confused.

“Well the three day weekend is coming up in several weeks isn’t it?” She says.

Oh. The yen drops in my head. The masquerade ball that Mother hosts every year during the three-day weekend. Some years I go, some years I don’t, the times I don’t I get my allowance slashed. I hadn’t even thought about the masquerade ball in a long while and it had totally slipped my mind.

“Until I receive an invite, I’m going to assume it’s cancelled. Mothers made no mention of it during our weekly emails” I say, my tone of voice closing this particular discussion. Fujiko just smiles a small, secretive smile and goes back to eating leaving me in silence.

A few minutes later Hisao comes back with lunches and drinks for us. He pulls up a chair and we have a desk lunch. The theme of conversation is exams and the tension in the students in the academy. Lunch passes us by in a swift fashion of idle conversation and eating.

Just before the bell goes though Hisao frowns for a moment and asks me “Ayane do you think you could tutor me in English?”

I try to process that statement. The best I manage is an eloquent “huh?”

Hisao grins and gains more confidence in his voice “Well I’m fairly good with science. Can’t do anything about the maths now but I though we could… trade. You tutor me in English and I’ll help tutor you in science. We both benefit!”

It… makes sense. English is my strongest subject. In fact I think the only person who scores better than me is Lilly. Science is one of my weaker areas and in her last email Mother did hint that she didn’t want any failing grades. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth Ayane I scold myself. “Ok, sure. I think my science exam is Friday”

“My English exam is on Friday” He exclaims, “Perfect!”

“Fujiko I can help you with your English too” I throw in and she nods in agreement.

“Sure” She chirps “but I may have to leave early as I have club activities this week. Nomiya has a bee in his bonnet about the art club so there’s various things going on in the week”

Ah, I had forgotten that Fujiko is in the art club. “Sure, that won’t be a problem.” I say “Do you not need help with science then?”

“Not particularly” Fujiko says, “I pay more attention than you do in class”

Ouch Fujiko that stings!

“Ok, so does Wednesday after school sound good?” Hisao says. Fujiko and I nod in agreement and it’s all settled just before the bell goes.

As Hisao leaves it suddenly dawns on me that I’ve had another fast one pulled on me but this time by sweet little Fujiko.

We agreed to have the sessions in MY ROOM. Fujiko will be leaving early leaving me to tutor Hisao on my own in my room.

I look left as the teacher comes into the classroom.

“That was evil Fujiko” I mutter under my breath “Pure evil and sneaky”

“Of course,” she says smugly, primping and flashing me a grin “I learnt from the best after all”

End Scene 1

--------------------------

Thanks for all feedback so far, I'm off to finish Tokyo ghoul now if anyone needs me!

Enjoy the scene!
Last edited by TheTealeaf on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tealeaf. Old cockney rhyming slang for 'thief'. That is what KS did to me. It tealeafed my heart straight from my chest. Especially you Rin. Especially you.

One cannot think well, sleep well, love well if one has not dined well
- Virginia Woolf

Cooking is like love. Enter with abandon or not at all
Frosticle

Post by Frosticle »

I'm calling it right now, Ayane's new English teacher will be Akiho!

Another great chapter Tea, I really liked the cinematic you came up with as well.

Keep up the great work! :D
Now we rise,
And we are everywhere.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Very enjoyable chapter again.
I think your "please" are supposed to be "pleas", though.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

Frosticle wrote:I'm calling it right now, Ayane's new English teacher will be Akiho!

Another great chapter Tea, I really liked the cinematic you came up with as well.

Keep up the great work! :D
Goddamit frosty!

I admit nothing! NOTHING! :lol:

Thanks, the cinematic literally just popped up in my head so I figured, meh why not write it in. If I could draw I'd probably draw the Opening screen for Act 2 as well.

Thank you for the praise, it always makes my day when I see new replies!
Mirage_GSM wrote:Very enjoyable chapter again.
I think your "please" are supposed to be "pleas", though.
Ooops! I shall fix that post haste! I'm glad you are enjoying my ramblings and hope you continue to do so!

(I think I've fixed the pacing issues? Not sure, wold love some input on the matter)
Tealeaf. Old cockney rhyming slang for 'thief'. That is what KS did to me. It tealeafed my heart straight from my chest. Especially you Rin. Especially you.

- Virginia Woolf

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm not sure if we understand the same thing when we hear "pacing"...
What I meant was that your plot progression from first meeting to first kiss was awfully fast. In this chapter the progression was at much more believable levels. As long as they aren't having sex at the end of that study lesson I guess you're in the green.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

Nope I wondered if the scenes were moving along too fast and your feedback about the kiss did prompt me to go back and rejigger the scene.

Ok, I can breath a sigh of relief.

The tutor session is...

No kinky times no, but whatever you may have in mind, I shall leave it as we begin to learn more about what makes Ayane tick.

Still I value everyone's feedback so thank you mirage for your feedback!

- Virginia Woolf

AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Really enjoyed this chapter. I liked how flustered Ayane got when Hisao played the gentleman card. Looking forward to the studding session.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

I feel as if I've been a bit harsh to some of my characters here but this was how the conversation played out. I did research about haemophilia so I hope that my portrayal at the end of the chapter is accurate. I get the feeling it's not.

Also first introduction of Akihiro! Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------

Act 2

Scene 2

A few angry words

Tuesday morning begins much the same as yesterday. Wake up, shower, dress, glug my coffee and pills down and then head out for exam breakfast.

Hisao joins us again this morning for breakfast and adds to the breakfast spread with his donation of some spreads and toast. It’s a thoughtful gesture and one that I appreciate. We never asked him to but he went out and did it of his own accord, which was sweet of him.

As breakfast carries on around me I take a moment to just watch everyone. I like to people watch. I’m not as outgoing as my brother I’d rather watch someone than walk up to them. Talking to Hisao like that was a rarity for me and a little out of character.

Fujiko, ever graceful with her brunette locks and baby blue eyes, gently picking from the spread of food with her chopsticks, giggles behind long sleeves at my brothers’ antics.

My fraternal twin Arashi, with his dark eyes and dark hair and delicate features, wildly expressive in his facial features with his hands currently in the air as he mocks a joke Hisao just cracked

Lastly but not least Hisao, with his messy brown hair and chocolate sleep deprived eyes, trying in vain to explain some science based joke, with a mug of juice in one hand, to Fujiko and Arashi and judging by the silent laughter coming from my brother I think he’s mocking Hisaos attempt at a joke.

“Ayane?” Hisao questions me “Anyone home?”

I snap out of my musings and crack a yawn at the same time “I’m fine Hisao, just a little sleepy, same as you”

“That obvious?” Hisao asks wryly “Just a bout of insomnia. Side effect”

“A side effect?” Fujiko questions, mid chew, she swallows the remains of her mouthful and then asks “Side effect of what?”

I grimace. Fujiko dear you are treading thin ice here. “My medication” Hisao says “Can have odd side effects sometimes” His tone is wary and I can sense his discomfort at the direction this conversation is beginning to take.

Fortunately my brother is up to the task and his white board shoved in our faces reads [What subjects today?] It is a sufficient distraction as it veers the topic into safer waters.

For Fujiko and myself today’s cram topics are history and geography, for the boys their respective topics are Japanese and history, so there is a little overlap for us to study as a group.

The grounds are busier this morning than yesterday morning and the four of us on a picnic blanket, surrounded by the debris of breakfast, half drunk cups of coffee, arguing over historical dates and places and falling over in laughter when we realise that we’re all wrong, cuts quite an odd sight even for Yamaku academy.

Mid revision session I spy Haruhiko watching me from a short distance away. I can’t reasonably tell from this distance but he looks really, really pissed. There’s a tenseness in his body language that even when I wave at him in greeting doesn’t fade away. After I wave at him he appears to sweep his gaze over the group and then with a huff stalks off.

Odd. Haruhiko does have his strange moods but I’ve never seen him be this tense and dismissive of me ever. Mind you things have been off with Haruhiko since our encounter in the pool several days ago.

I nibble my lip in quiet contemplation. I guess I’ll need to track him down and speak to him. Easier said than done as he lives off campus down in the town below Yamaku. The sooner the air is cleared the better as I do owe him an apology as I was a bit of a bitch towards him when last we spoke.

Hisao sees my contemplative look and he sees Haruhikos retreating back. I see a frown crease his forehead. “Something wrong?” I ask. My gut tells me I already know what the answer will be.

“Haruhiko was really off with me yesterday” Hisao admits.

Fuck it Haruhiko don’t come down with the green-eyed monster on me.

Why must my life get complicated? No I’m the only one that makes things complicated. Next time I see Haruhiko, I apologise. Simple.

Yet why do I have that sinking feeling?

“I’m sure it’s nothing,” I say plastering a fake smile over my face. Neither of the three look impressed or that they believe me, but the subject is dropped.

The rest of breakfast and study is taken with a more sombre mood than the gaiety a few minutes earlier. We disperse into our pairs for class when the bell rings, packing up the picnic accoutrements and then heading into another day of classes and exams.

My first exam is history and it’s easier than I expected. In fact most of the subject matter in the test is what we covered during the exam breakfast this morning so most of the dates and important information is fresh in my head.

The exam gods must be smiling on me then as I finish the test with plenty of time to spare, enough to go over and fine-tune my longer answers. Satisfied with my answers, I check the remaining time. I have enough time for a fifteen-minute catnap. Don’t mind if I do.

Fujiko gently shaking me awake brings me round from my nap. My sleepy brain kicks into gear and I realise that class has ended and the teacher is collecting the papers.

Next class is maths and the teacher has already marked the papers. That was a quick turn around. I can feel my stomach churn in nervousness at the face down exam paper. There is a nervous anticipation in the air and everyone is slightly on edge.

All the papers are handed back out and the teacher strolls to the front of the class. “You may turn your papers over” He’s a good guy our maths teacher. All the blind students get their marks stamped in Braille on the papers so everyone gets their results at the same time.

I’m procrastinating. I flip the paper over and then heave a sigh of relief. I passed. One of my weak points down so now only the science exam to go, as I’m quietly confident about the rest of my subjects.

The rest of the lesson passes in a wave of relief as the teacher goes over the exam paper, helping us spot our mistakes and what not to do next time. Before I know it lunchtime is upon us.

Today it’s only Fujiko and me dining together. The boys have been dragged off by Shizune and Misha for lunch so it’s just us girls dining today. I did remember to make myself some lunch last night so we both wander out the classroom, navigating the sea of student life, down the stairs and out onto the front lawns.

We eat out on the front lawns a lot I realise, especially when the weather stays good like this. Fujiko likes people watching just like me. She likes to imagine what they do, their hopes, their dreams and what they plan for the future. Tezuka Rin joined us on one of these lunches once, totally out of the blue. It was a highly surreal experience that lunch and made me wonder if there had been something in the water.

It is whilst we are eating lunch I have something of an epiphany. “Fujiko?” I ask gaining her attention.

“Yes?” She asks, one eyebrow raised, chopsticks halfway to her mouth.

I wave my phone at her “You ok if I make a call?” She shoves her food in her mouth and nods, her cheeks puffed out with food. She looks like a squirrel or a hamster with its cheek pouches full and it’s adorable yet oddly disturbing at the same time.

I flip my phone open but before I dial the number, I dig out a notebook that I keep for doodles and a pen. I dial the number in and let it ring. Pick up…

The phone picks up and an acerbic baritone voice charmingly greets me with “Well if it isn’t my shitty little sister, gracing her older brother with a fucking phone call”

“Hi Akihiro” I chirp back “lovely to hear from you too brother”

A snort from the other end of the line “Fuck you too”

“As charming as ever I see” I respond dryly.

There’s a bark of laughter in response and then I hear him bellow “OI! Shirou! SHITTY SAUCE CHEF! WATCH WHAT THE FUCK YOU’RE DOING!” There’s a clatter of pots in the background and a indistinct voice speaks back at my brother who responds with a muttered “I don’t get paid enough for this shit”

That is my charming older brother Akihiro. He’s a foul-mouthed lout generally but for me, Arashi and Akiho he’s still an asshole but he’s our asshole. There is the sound of footsteps, a door opening, more footsteps and then another door opening and I hear the ‘click’ of a lighter being used and then the inhalation of breath that indicates he’s having a cigarette. “So” He says in-between drags of his cigarette “What can I do for you? I doubt this is a courtesy call sis”

“Actually it is. Akiho told me you’d set a place up in the city nearby and I wanted to pick your brains for a moment if you had the time” I keep my voice sugary sweet because I know it pisses him off faster than anything else on the planet.

“Cut the sugary sweet crap,” He growls at me in English. “Yeah I have opened up a place in the city, looking at expanding near Yamaku too, got my eyes on an old tea shop near the school that I’m thinking about putting in an offer on”

That sounds… “You don’t mean the Shanghai do you?”

“Yeah that’s the fucking place. Right shit hole it is too. Think I scared the ever loving fuck out of the waitress when I went there yesterday” He laughs and I hear the click of his lighter again as he lights another cigarette as I cringe in sympathy for Yuuko. She would not have known what to do with my brother.

“I’d turn that place into something the students would like. Cheap but friendly, good service and excellent food. I’d try and hire from the school too.” There’s another inhalation “but that’s neither here nor there. What do you need shitty brat?”

I explain my idea to him and I hear him muse in agreement as he lights another cigarette. “You’ll be dead before you’re thirty” I chastise him

“You’re not my fucking mother” he fires back. There’s a beat of silence and then he mutters “Sorry. That was out of line”

“It’s fine” I wave it off, even though he can’t see me. “Lets get back on topic. Brain food”

“Hmmm your dessert idea is good. Bit fucking basic but a classic. I’d say add some booze but that ideas fucked before it even leaves the ground.” There’s a pause and I can literally hear Akihiro rummaging in his head “Fish is always a good idea for brain food. Can’t go wrong with that. What about Dads fish skewer recipe?”

That is a good idea… “I don’t have any skewers Akihiro”

A grumble. “You could probably buy some crappy bamboo ones”

“If I can’t get any?” I press him.

“Stir-fry it you fuck wit” is the whiplash remark back. “Noodles will give you better sauce coating than rice”

“Ok sounds good. Refresh me on the ingredients again?” I scribble down the ingredients I need as Akihiro lists what I need to buy.

“So what’s this all for then?” he asks.

I hum for a moment “Planning a study session on English and Science ready for exams. Figured I’d feed Fujiko and Hisao at the same time”

There is a beat of quiet, almost dangerous silence from the other end of the phone “Who is Hisao?” there is a silky, dangerous tone to my brothers voice.

“He’s the new guy at the school. Went to the festival with him…” Oops. Hisao I may have handed you a death sentence.

“Do I need to come up there with a cleaver and threaten this punks dick?”

Real, real classy brother dearest. “Leave it alone Akihiro. He’s a friend. Poor fucker got transferred here mid term, he’s well out of his depth. He needed a friend”

“And you’re such a bleeding heart” is the waspish reply I receive.

There’s a commotion down the other end of the line and I hear Akihiro say to someone else “Yeah I’ll be up there in a moment you prick, talking to my sister. Fuck off.” There’s a beat of silence and then he says to me “Sorry Ayane, I’ve gotta go. Lunchtime is beginning to pick up. You should swing by and see me in the city this weekend!”

“I was making plans to” I confess. “I’ll give you a bell on Saturday after class alright?”

“Excellent!” He says before adding, “That fucker Hisao better appreciate you cooking for him. Stay safe Ayane”

“You too Akihiro” I say, grinning “Go scare those chefs you boss around”

“You bet I will, the lazy fuckers!” And after that tasteful sentence my phone beeps at me indicating that he’s hung up. I snap my phone shut and see Fujiko looking at me oddly.

“Who on earth were you talking to?” She asks. “They sounded rather rude and loud!”

I laugh as I pack away my phone and writing kit “That was my charming older brother Akihiro.” Fujikos face dawns with understanding. “And we” I add, “Should be getting back to class. Lunch is nearly over” And lo and behold as I say this, the bell goes and we make our way back to class.

Geography passes in a blur of the exam and it’s a relief to have it done. The next lesson is Japanese and it’s a revision session for the upcoming exam tomorrow. The class is mostly note taking and the time flits by pretty quickly and before I know it, the bell is going for the end of the day.

I pop up back to my dorm, waving goodbye to Fujiko, moving my way through the other students. In my room I get rid of my uniform and put on my casual wear. Thank goodness for pants. I grab a shopping bag and head out of the dorms, leaving the school grounds and heading down the winding road to the town below. I have some shopping to do!

The walk into town is quiet and apart from a few nods with other fellow students and quick greetings, I’m left to my own devices. I consult my scribbled list and decide that visiting the grocer would be better than the convenience store that most students visit.

I’ve made it down into town with enough time to visit the grocers and I flit into the store, browsing the aisles with familiarity and an expert hand, I’m not a ditherer or a window shopper, I go in, get what I need and get out again. I get what I need and I get out again. I have pretty much everything I need for tomorrow but I will need to pop by the convenience store and get something to drink for tomorrow, as there is nothing in the grocers that tickles my fancy drinks wise.

So it’s out of the store and down the road, passing the Shanghai on my way to the convenience store. I enter the store, the ‘beep whoosh’ of the automatic doors giving me a blast of chilled air as I enter. I wind my way around the shelves to the chilled drinks section. I think I see a flash of blue hair out of the corner of my eye. That might have been Suzu from Hisaos class. Possibly getting energy drinks? I shrug and put the thought out of my mind and get a selection of low sugar drinks. If Hisao can’t have caffeine, too much sugar is probably just as bad for him.

I make my selection and wander to the tills and see Suzu and Miki leaving as I come up to the till. Guess I was right. Shrugging I set my purchases down and fish my wallet out from my pants pocket, paying for my items. With that done I wander out of the automatic doors and as I leave I hear a voice behind me.

“Ayane!” The voice shouts and I turn.

“Haruhiko” I say, regarding him. Well this is a bonus, Haruhiko found me. Now’s as good a time as any. “You ok?” I ask first.

“Been better,” He admits, not meeting my gaze.

“Oh? How so?” I ask.

He frowns and fiddles with his hair band before answering me “Well I’ve been worrying about you”

There is a stony silence after that little confession and he fidgets on the spot. “Why?” I ask finally, my tone flat.

He licks his lips before answering, “I… heard from a friend that you haven’t been sleeping well” That much is true. The nightmare and then last night I was up in the middle of the night due to another odd dream. Someone must’ve heard me up.

“That is true,” I admit “But I fail to see how it concerns you” Ouch. I’m channelling Mother.

“Because I care about you!” Haruhiko blurts out, looking at me defiantly.

Oh boy. This is going to get messy. I pinch my nose in frustration at the situation. “I’m not quite sure how to phrase this Haruhiko,” I say.

“Don’t phrase it then” He says with a shrug moving a little closer. “Kiss me like you kissed Nakai after the festival”

That gets my hackles up. When the fuck had he seen that? Haruhiko must register the look in my eye as he looks as though he’s just made a monumental cock up. Which he has the blithering idiot. “Suzumiya” I grate out and I see him flinch at my tone of voice. “I’m going to be gracious and ignore that last comment, as that implies something which could have the great effect of pissing me off. The last person that ended up pissing me off like that ended up not liking the fact I dyed his bed clothes bright orange, wiped his computer and replaced all his action DVDs with ‘Hello Kitty’ ones”

Haruhikos eyes widen and there is fear in them but he straightens himself up and faces me in the light of the store. “I’ll be blunt then,” He says finally after appearing to carefully consider his words. “I’ve known you for two years now. I consider you a very close friend –“

A snort erupts from me before I can help it. “Close friend? Suzumiya we barely speak to each other apart from passing greetings in corridors, occasionally having lunch together with some of the track team and I sometimes lend you my manga. Apart from that Suzumiya I regard you as an annoying younger sibling as that is generally your behaviour round me.” His jaw drops and I press home the attack “You are a friend Haruhiko” I say my tone softening “But not a close one”

There is a moment of heavy, oppressive silence. “Fucking Nakai. He’s come along and fucked everything up”

“I fail to see how that is the case” I say, my tone cold enough to freeze penguins.

“How blunt do I have to be?” He cries, throwing his hands in the air. “Tsukino Ayane I like you and want to take you on a date before Nakai steals you away…” his voice trails off and he appears to be girding himself up for something. He shuffles slightly closer and says “You always flirt back too”

Flirt back? What in the name of… the hamster wheel clicks and the lights go on in my brain “That’s what you call flirting?” I blurt out “News flash Suzumiya! That was not me flirting back! Nine times out of ten your comments pissed me off! That’s why I gave you that nickname! We’re not ten years old Suzumiya and pulling my hair isn’t going to get me to like you!”

He stands there stunned at my verbal tirade and all I can hear is Akihiros voice going in my head “Wow you’re up shit creek without a paddle now sister” I spin on my heel and turn, beginning to walk rapidly away from the mess that my big mouth has landed me in. I make it less than three steps away before Suzumiyas hands are on my shoulders and he’s spinning me around mouth pursed in a kiss. I can feel my head pounding, fear rising. His hands are strong but I manage to push him, making him stumble back a little. He looks angry, angrier than I’ve ever seen him and I feel afraid.

That is until my brother Arashi appears behind Suzumiya, grabs one shoulder, spins him around and lays him flat on the floor with one punch on the jaw. It’s over in less than a second and Suzumiya is writhing on the floor with my brother looming over him. Blood drips from my brothers’ knuckles and Suzumiya… shit. His haemophilia.

I panic “Arashi his condition!” Arashi’s eyes go from wild and angry to concerned in less than a second. He kneels down to help Suumiya up but his hand is batted away.

“I’m fine. My conditions not that severe. I’m not about to bleed to death” He spits blood at this and I frown. “I’m fine. I’ll have a shiner of a bruise and be spitting blood and I’ll take some tablets when I get home. Just…” Suzumiya deflates “Just leave me alone please”

He begins to get up as we leave, my brother watching him warily. He staggers into the store and as we hear the clerk gasp at the sight we take that as our cue to leave the scene.

The walk back is in silence. I appreciate what Arashi did but he’s just opened a whole can of trouble for himself. When we reach the gates, I grasp his hands, look him in the eye and say, “If anything happens tomorrow about what just happened come and get me. I’ll back you up.” I feel tears falling from my good eye and I drop my shopping, hugging Arashi hard “Don’t get yourself expelled over me Arashi” He nods solemnly at me and then vanishes into the boys dorm leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Sleep eludes me again tonight.

One last thought kicks me in the teeth as I try to sleep. I never did apologise.

Damn it, tomorrow is going to suck.

End scene 2.
Last edited by TheTealeaf on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Virginia Woolf

AntonSlavik020

Re: Learning the blues (HisaoxOC route) Act 2 Scene 2 up!

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

I have to say, Akihiro is not a person I would get along with in real life. I'm not big on constant swearing and i HATE smoking.

Also, I don't really blame Ayane for not apologizing. In her place, I think I would have fired back too. He was being an asshole.
Best girl

Best route
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hisao joins us again this morning for breakfast and adds to the breakfast spread we have we his donation of some spreads and toast.
Wut?

Well, I was going to say, that it would have been possible to turn Haruhiko down more gently, but after reading his reaction, I guess he deserved what he got.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:I have to say, Akihiro is not a person I would get along with in real life. I'm not big on constant swearing and i HATE smoking.

Also, I don't really blame Ayane for not apologizing. In her place, I think I would have fired back too. He was being an asshole.
Akihiro is based off me about oooo 6 years ago when I was a chef. I was that sweary and chain smoked. Different now though :wink: still writing his character gives me the giggles I have an interlude planned about his visit to the shanghai :lol:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Hisao joins us again this morning for breakfast and adds to the breakfast spread we have we his donation of some spreads and toast.
Wut?

Well, I was going to say, that it would have been possible to turn Haruhiko down more gently, but after reading his reaction, I guess he deserved what he got.
Thanks mirage, can't believe I missed that. Fixed now!

Ok I'm glad people are ok with haruhiko getting his clock cleaned, I thought I was being a little OTT

- Virginia Woolf

TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

This is a big one so I've chopped it into two chunks! No more updates until thursday earliest I'm afraid, but that said... enjoy!

--------------------------------

Act 2

Scene 3

My little phantom.

It was another night of broken sleep. This is getting to be a bit like a broken record now. Not a nightmare, or a weird dream just pure restlessness. My mind keep churning over and regurgitating the confrontation with Haruhiko outside the store and the possible consequences of my brothers’ actions.

Arashi could face serious repercussion from decking Haruhiko. Yamaku has a very no nonsense approach to dealing with violence amongst students. I can recall an incident from my first year. It was rather hushed up but enough students had seen the altercation between the two third years to know why the pair were expelled a few days later.

It’s not just the fact of students fighting it’s the fact that someone could get seriously injured or killed by a school ground brawl and not just the participants either, a bystander could get caught up in it and hurt.

Bah, these thoughts are not helping me. I look over at my clock in the dark its dull glowing digits informing it’s four am in the morning. Fuck my sleep schedule this week has been appalling, I had best keep an eye on myself I don’t want to have a seizure on top of everything else and during exam week. I’m not getting any more rest. I swing out of bed and get dressed in some casual clothes I don’t mind working in. Normally at a time like this I’d try and get into the pool and swim some laps but not this morning. I have other plans.

I go into my wardrobe and hidden carefully at the back is a roll of black fabric tied up by a golden bow and with a forest green strap on the roll for carrying it with. I reach in and withdraw the roll of fabric carefully and gently wipe the dust off it. It’s been a while since I’ve used these but today I feel like using them. It’s been a while since I’ve cooked for other people properly so using the set of knives Dad brought for me feels oddly appropriate.

I retrieve my ingredients from the little fridge I have in my room and slinging the knife roll over my back with the strap, I retrieve another few bits of equipment and head down into the dorm communal kitchens quietly. It’s early and I don’t want to disturb people sleeping.

I slip into the kitchens quietly, and flick on the lights. The kitchen is a pretty basic one but it’ll do. Cupboards, some chopping boards, a hob and oven, a grubby looking sink, a fridge/freezer combination, various draws and a table are in the small kitchen. Most of the equipment I have I keep out of the kitchen, don’t want it going ‘missing’ after all.

I place my ingredients on the work surface, my other equipment near the bag and fetch a chopping board. I pull my knife roll off from my shoulder and undo the bow, letting the roll naturally unravel across the chopping board. My eyes roam across the blades gleaming in the kitchen lights. These would probably be confiscated if teachers knew I had them, sure there are knives here in the kitchen but I’m not sure that the school would approve of me having my own set.

This set is special though. Dad brought a set for each of his children when they turned thirteen. The knives are beautifully balanced, are light in the hand and possess a razor keen edge. Well at least they used to. Mine haven’t been used in a while, so I’d best put an edge on them.

I carefully unwrap the whetstone that came with the kit and run it under some running water. I pat it lightly down with a tea towel but not dry and place it on the worktop and then select the tools I will need for this mornings task. I’m going to need three of the seven knives for the job, so I carefully select them from the wrap.

A meat knife, a paring knife and a filleting knife are selected and placed down besides the whetstone. The wrap is then almost reverently refastened with the bow and moved to the table behind me. I then pick up the whetstone and my first blade of choice, the paring knife and carefully slide it down the whetstone with a small noise that is best described as a ‘wet scraping’ sound. Back and forth, back and forth goes the knife on the whetstone with the same noise echoing in the small kitchen.

The noise is nostalgic and therapeutic in equal measure and I lose myself in the motion, honing the knife to a scalpel like keenness. I stop after about a minute and half and check the edge with my thumb. I can feel the edge of the blade and it is sharp. Carefully to avoid cutting myself I place the knife down on the board and then turn my attention to the other two knives.

I’ve just about finished sharpening my last knife, the filleting knife, when a cough makes me jump in place. The knife slips on its last swipe on the whetstone and jumps; nicking my left index finger on it’s way past. Dots of crimson begin welling from my finger and I turn to the intruder, my finger in my mouth, the taste of iron and copper filling my taste buds. The intruder is Lilly and I blink in surprise. I remove my finger from my mouth. “Uh… good morning Lilly?” I say, conscious of the taste of blood in my mouth.

“Good morning Ayane” she says softly “What was that noise just now?” She frowns “It’s not something I’ve heard before”

“I was…” I trail off. Damn it this might land me in hot water. “I was sharpening my knives,” I admit. My finger is still bleeding and a small but steady drip of sanguine is ending up on the kitchen floor. I jam my finger in my mouth again.

Lilly’s facial expression is one of confusion “It is… rather early for cooking Ayane” she says finally. “Is everything ok?”

I can’t tell her about what happened. “I couldn’t sleep,” I admit, mumbling around my cut finger. “Worrying about stuff I guess”.

“You’ve been having problems sleeping lately” Lilly states her sightless eyes narrowed with concern. We might not always be on the same page and I know that she dislikes my occasional swearing habit but she really does care about everyone in the class.

“Yeah” I admit shortly, rummaging for a plaster in the kitchens small first aid box. I find one and place it on my finger, staunching the small flow of blood. Well at least I know that blade is nice and sharp now. “Why are you up?” I ask, “It’s rather early. Couldn’t sleep either?”

“I was thirsty,” She admits “I forgot to fill a bottle before going to bed last night…” her voice trails off as she gives me a small bashful smile. I reach into one of the cupboards and find a small glass and fill it with cold water from the tap and press it into Lilly’s delicate hands. Her face lights up in gratitude and she deftly finds her way to the table, sitting down in one of the chairs. “Thank you,” She says after taking a few sips.

“Not a problem” I assure her, “Sorry if I woke you”

“I was already awake, but the unfamiliar noise did concern me slightly” she admits, nodding slightly. I’m moving bits and pieces around and making a general clatter “What are you doing?” Lilly asks finally after I hear her place her glass back on the table.

I’m measuring out some cream into a bowl as she asks “I’m preparing for tonight” I say.

“May I enquire as to what tonight is?”

I slice a lemon in half and answer her at the same time “Study session tonight with Fujiko and Hisao” I juice the lemon and add it to the cream, whisking the mix together.

Lilly waits until I stop the noise before remarking “Ms Jakuzure and Mr Nakai? What are you studying?”

“I’m helping Hisao with his English” I say off hand as I measure the mixture into three glasses. “He in return is helping us with science”

“A gracious offer, it’s good to study together,” Lilly says. “I smell lemon, what are you making?”

“I’m preparing the dessert. It needs a few hours to set” I say as I sprinkle some prepared cut fruit into the glasses. A light sprinkling of whole raspberries and some diced orange chunks are added to the mix. “It’s an old English dessert known as a posset.” I say the unfamiliar word in English. “It’s a dish made from cream and set using the juice from a lemon. Sweetened with a little sugar and some other fruits it’s a nice, simple and easy dessert.” There is a moment’s pause before I add, “It was one of my Dads favorite dishes. He taught me how to make it when I was ten. I put too much lemon juice in it and he still ate it anyway, saying it was yummy” My voice cracks at the end of the sentence. I can see him now in my minds eye, the goofball, with glass in hand and a spoon, praising the dish even as his mouth puckers from the sourness.

The lack of sleep must be getting the better of me. I’m normally far more controlled than this. “A good memory?” Lily asks, her voice soft and gentle.

“Yeah” I croak, wiping my eye dry “He was always being so stupid with me Arashi. He taught all of us to cook,” I continue, placing the desserts in the fridge. “In fact the other recipe I’m preparing now is another one of his recipes. He always said he learnt it from his mother, my grandmother. It’s Arashis favorite recipe, I had forgotten about it until my older brother Akihiro reminded me of it yesterday”

“You have an older brother?” Lilly asks.

I can feel her unseeing gaze on my back as I wash up what I’ve used and begin to get the ingredients for the next dish. “Yes and an older sister as well. You wouldn’t get on with Akihiro I think”

“Oh?” Lilly asks, her voice having a curious lilt to it “What makes you think that?”

I laugh lightly as I retrieve the fish from it’s wrapping and begin to fillet it. “Because he’s as you would say… rather uncouth. His swearing habit is ten times worse than mine, a habitual smoker and rather in your face with his blunt manner and sarcasm”

“Oh my” Lilly says.

“Indeed” I respond “I know you dislike it when I swear, I honestly think you’d have a heart attack listening to my brother, if you ever met him.” A thought crosses my mind “Which actually, you might”

“How?” Lilly almost sounds afraid and it does make me laugh a little internally.

“He’s opened a restaurant in the city nearby” I say as I chop the filleted fish into small chunks. It goes into a bowl and I then wash the board before getting some pork out. “He’s also considering a business venture in the town just below Yamaku. He has his eyes on one of the tea houses I believe, so you may end up crossing paths”

I hear a rustle as Lilly moves around “I mean no offense Ayane but I pray that I never do meet this brother of yours.”

I laugh as I dice the pork up, my knife moving effortlessly through the meat. I’m not as fast as I once was with my knife work as the difference in depth perception means I need to be more careful. “No offense taken. He’s hard for a lot of people to deal with, especially with his rather err… brusque nature” The pork joins the fish in a bowl and I wash the board and knife, selecting my paring knife next.

Lilly yawns suddenly, breaking the quiet atmosphere in the kitchen. “Oh my” she says “I appear to more sleepy than I imagined”

I shoot a glance up at the clock nearby “It’s half four in the morning Lilly, it’s no wonder. Go back to bed”

“I could say the same to you” She rejoins, rising from the chair.

I snort, peeling and cutting a mango as I do so. “There’s no chance of me getting back to sleep now Lilly. You on the other hand do”

‘I suppose you are right” Lilly says, beginning to leave the kitchen. She pauses in the doorway and turns towards where she thinks I am “Ayane… I know that we are not that close but if you ever need to speak to me… my door is always open”

That’s Lilly for you, always so selfless. “Can I ask you a small favor?” I ask.

“Of course” She assures me.

“My knives…” I trail off and look at the knife in my hand. “They were a gift from my Dad… I would appreciate it if…”

“I understand” Lilly says warmly “Just… try not to let Shizune see them. She may not overlook them as I am.” She begins to leave saying as she goes “Good night Ayane, do try to get some sleep”

I chuckle as she leaves and fire a parting shot “Surely you mean good morning instead class rep?” I can literally hear her roll her eyes from down the corridor.

I finish chopping the mango, add it to the bowl with the pork and fish, add some prepared prawns and then make the marinade. It’s a mixture of a ready-made sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, a pinch of grated ginger, a scattering of paprika and last but not least a dash of rice wine vinegar. If I’d had more time I would’ve made the chili sauce myself but I didn’t. I cover the bowl and place it and it’s precious contents in the fridge. I wasn’t able to find any skewers so I’ll stir-fry it later tonight just before we’re ready to eat.

I place notes promising swift, dire and terrible vengeance upon any who disturb my stuff in the fridge. I then sign it with a smiley face just to be even more passive aggressive and then shut the fridge door. I have the washing up to do now. My least favorite part…

The washing up is done with my brain engaged in automatic. I place my knives back in their roll and then tie the bow back up again and pad back up to my room.

I grab my wash kit, head down to the bathroom and shower, relaxing under the spray of hot water and then head back to my room. I change into my uniform, yawning the whole time, then glance at the clock. It’s a little after five am. A nap wouldn’t hurt would it?

I’m woken up by Fujiko. I mutter and grumble incoherently and yawn widely. Fujiko reels back as though hit by something “Morning breathe Ayane” She says, pinching her nose. I mutter a vague threat under my breath and amble to the bathroom and scrub my teeth clean. “We’re running late” Fujiko says from behind me as I spit into the sink and then rinse my mouth clean.

“How late?” I ask

“We’ve got fifteen minutes then class starts” What a wonderful way to start the school day. I hurry back to my room and gulp down my pills with a bottle of water. Not enough time really for breakfast so we leave my room, quickly going over our Japanese text books in preparation for the only exam we have to today. Tomorrow we have English and lastly on Friday there is the dreaded science exam. Saturday no exams thankfully, but we’ll all probably be bashed over the head with our results.

We make it to class with about two minutes before the bell. I’m nervous the whole lesson, fidgeting and fiddling. Period one comes to an end and I haven’t been summoned out of class and Arashi hasn’t text me either so I begin to assume that my brother and I are in the clear.

Period two passes in much the same manner and again there is nothing. I’m feeling particularly paranoid and I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. It doesn’t and class moves on to the period and the Japanese exam. I stop my twitching and focus on the exam. I need at least a pass or I’ll lose some support from Mother.

The bell rings moments after we place pens to desks. As the students disperse I turn to Fujiko “I’ve got a small request…”

There is an impish grin on Fujikos face. She already knows what I’m going to ask. “Yes, I’ll get you something from the canteen. I knew you wouldn’t have any lunch as you were so out of it this morning”

"Thanks Fuji"

End part 1
Last edited by TheTealeaf on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Virginia Woolf

TheTealeaf

Post by TheTealeaf »

Part 2 of Scene 3 'My little phantom'

I laugh, pass Fujiko some yen notes and then hurry out of the classroom and up to the library. I like the library, it has the musty old parchment smell about it and the ambience of the place just sits right with me. Yuuko is nowhere to be seen at the moment, so I quickly head into the shelves to locate some literature for this evening. The English section is rather unsurprisingly missing half its stock. Guess there are more people than just Hisao who are concerned about their English exam.

I quickly locate a book about grammar and another for spellings and then quickly bounce over to the English Language fiction area. Hisao likes to read so a good way for him to learn would be to read something that he would enjoy.

I have a little ‘eureka’ moment then. I have plenty of English fiction books in my room already. Why not use one of those? I give myself a little fist pump of victory. I shall introduce Hisao to the wonders of the world that is The Dresden universe. Hopefully I can get him hooked on those and we can swap notes. That would be… very nice.

I head up to the desk only to see the very person I’ve been thinking of. “Hisao!” I say and he turns, a book in hand “Alice in wonderland. Good choice, personally I adore the Cheshire cat” I remark.

His hand comes up and rubs the back of his head “Ah, I’m returning this one, taking out some science texts for tonight”

Huh, well looks like great minds do think alike then. “What an odd coincidence, I’m doing the same too” I say with a grin. Hisao returns his book to flustered looking Yuuko and checks the science textbooks out at the same time. I then check my books out and Yuuko hurriedly gives them over to me. Wow guess her encounter with my brother was more traumatic than I thought. I give her a pleasant smile, which she twitches at and I leave to catch up with Hisao who’s waiting at the library door for me.

He still looks sleep deprived. The bags under his eyes are more prominent than yesterday. I touch the crook of his elbow gently and I think I feel a shiver sweep up his arm. “You alright?” I ask as we head into the deserted corridors.

“I should be asking you that” He rejoins “You look like you’re waiting to find out news about a relative in hospital”

A facial expression I’m sure he’s familiar with. “Have you spoken to Arashi today?” I ask.

Hisao looks puzzled but replies, “Yes, he was in class. I think Shizune and Misha hauled him off to the nurse to get his knuckles looked at” I wince at this and he carries on shrewdly “this hasn’t got anything to do with Suzumiya being absent is it?”

Wow Detective Nakai, I confess, I repent, I throw myself upon your tender mercies! “Lets just say there was a confrontation between myself and Suzumiya. Arashi intervened”

“Thought so” Hisao said, one hand to his chin “I tried to find you after class as well…” He sighs “Yesterday Suzumiya cornered me after class”

I sigh “What did he say? I think I can guess though” I say dryly as we descend down the stairs towards the canteen.

“That as the FNG, I should back… well I won’t repeat the word. I should back off and leave you to him, as you were his girl” The look on my face must say it all and must be positively murderous as Hisao holds up his hands as if to say ‘Don’t shoot the messenger!’

There is a beat of silence and then “Yeah, I thought it sounded pretty dense when he said it”

A wry snort comes from me “If I’d known he’d said that I would’ve punched him instead but you said he wasn’t in today?”

Hisao nods and I breathe a sigh of relief. Haruhiko appears to be licking his wounds. His pride broken he’s not going to do anything apart from recover and then crawl back to school with his tail between his legs. Fingers crossed that Arashi is in the clear then. “One last question” I say “Did anyone official come and ask for Arashi? Maybe pull him from class?”

Hisao shakes his head “He’s been in class all day” he confirms.

I breathe a sigh of relief as we head into the canteen. Fujiko waves at us from the table she’s sat at with Shizune, Misha and Arashi. Hisao joins the lunch line to get some lunch and as I slide in next to Fujiko she passes me some curry bread and a can of mango soda. I tear the paper off and munch into the spicy bread. Yum. I pop the tab on the drink and nearly spit take when Shizune signs [So are you going to tell us how Arashi hurt his hands he’s being very stubborn about it]

“Yeah!” Misha chimes in with a ‘wha-ha-ha’ tacked on “Arachan isn’t telling us a thing!”

I giggle through my soda. Arachan? Wow I’m going to have to use that. I can see Arashis frustrated face and I resolve to use that in the future. [Do not laugh] he signs at me [and if you ever use that I shall steal your manga and anime] Ooooo them be fighting words brother dearest!

[“I don’t know. You hurt your hands brother dearest? Do you need sister dearest to kiss it better?”] Fujiko bursts into giggles, my brother scowls, Misha giggles and Shizune looks scandalized.

[You’ve been reading too much icky stuff] my brother signs and Misha translates for Fujiko and Hisao who finally joins us at the table.

I take a savage bite from my bread and then say “Eh it was a poor joke” I see my brother roll his eyes.

[I’m sure you know how he hurt his hands!] Shizune signs, looking fairly annoyed at my disinterested expression.

I swallow my mouthful and then sign [Not any of your business. If my brother wants to tell you I will, if he wants you to kiss his hands better I’m sure he’ll tell you too] Misha translates and a tense silence falls on the lunch table. Pink spots form on my brothers’ cheeks and I chuckle under my breath. Is it just me or does Shizune look a little flustered too?

[I do not want her to kiss them better!] My brother signs very firmly.

[Want to bet on that?] Shizune signs back and the pair fall into lighthearted banter with Misha.

I turn to Hisao who’s sat down next to me and I can feel the heat of his thigh next to mine. He pokes morosely at his food. “The canteen food reminds me of hospital food”

I nudge him with an elbow “Well if you can wait until later I’ll be feeding you and Fujiko later”

Fujikos eyes light up. “Really? What’ve you made! Tell me!”

I can resist her begging puppy eyes. “Save the surprise for later Fujiko” She pouts and I hear a small and very brief bubble of laughter from Hisao. “I think that’s the first time I’ve heard you laugh,” I say turning to face him.

His chocolate eyes meet my good eye and I swear the canteen gets warmer. “Not had much to laugh about recently” he says.

“You should laugh more often. I’ve heard its good for the heart” I remark. An odd expression crosses Hisaos face and one hand comes up to his chest again. Ooops. I think I may’ve just touched a sore spot. He pokes at his food again, eats one or two mouthfuls and then pushes the plate away.

“I’ll try,” He says suddenly then elaborates at my confused expression “To laugh more. I’ll try to laugh more”

“Good” I nod. The bell rings and I frown “Guess we’d better head to class. See you after class Hisao” I wave as Arashi and company drags him off as Fujiko and me follow at a more sedate pace.

The next lesson is English revision and my tenseness from earlier has melted away and is instead replaced with anticipation. I’m looking forward to this evenings study session. The last two lessons of the day go by in a haze of studying and revision until the final bell goes.

When the bell does go, I’m hurrying out the door, wading my way through groups of students. I reach the dorms ahead of Fujiko and hurry to the kitchen. I nose inside the fridge briefly and nod in satisfaction that my goodies are still there. I bound up to my room and quickly shower but as I’m standing there, stark naked in my room after leaving the bathroom, Fujiko barges in.

“FUJIKO!” I shriek at her intrusion. “Why the hell did you barge in like that?”

She gives me one of her cheeky smirks and saunters past me and opens up my wardrobe. “Never fear Fujiko is here!” She cheers as she rummages through my clothes and begins to select items of clothing. She has that look in her eyes again so I simply sigh and resign myself to Fujiko dressing me up.

I have at least one small mercy though; at least it’s not a yukuta this time.

Twenty minutes later of endless decisions about what I should be wearing, Fujiko finally makes a decision. I end up wearing one of the two skirts I own, which is a light shade of green, along with a plain back t-shirt and one of my pale cardigans on top of the t-shirt. Fujiko says I look presentable then heads to her room comes back five minutes later, dressed impeccably, demands that I wear dragon eye patch and then seems to run out of steam. “Have you tidied your room?” She asks suddenly. I look around and horror begins to dawn.

My room is a tip I realize. There are panties on the floor, a pair of stockings, some bras, books all over the desk and some empty coffee mugs too. I grin sheepishly “oops?”

“He’ll be here soon you know!” She says and we both quickly dive into trying to give some form of order to the room. We have very nearly finished when there is a knock on my door. We booth freeze like rabbits caught in headlights only for Fujiko to gain an evil grin and open the door… for Hisao to get an eyeful of me carrying an armload of my dirty panties.

I’m not sure who changed color more and the fastest. Either way Fujiko ends up on the floor, holding her sides as she’s laughing so hard and Hisao and me are both rather red. “Sorry about that” I mumble whilst Fujiko dies from laughter.

“It’s ok” Hisao says, still red faced. “I didn’t mind” With that sentence Fujiko, howls with laughter even harder and starts rolling on the floor whilst my blush threatens to help me spontaneously combust.

“Ignore the rabid hyena,” I say darkly, inviting Hisao fully into my room. He takes a look around taking in the walls filled with posters of various anime titles, my row of DVDs, my shelves of books, manga and light novels, the hastily filled dirty wash basket lurking in the corner and my lime green duvet set on my bed.

“Nice place” He says giving me a small smile whilst Fujikos laughter dies down. “More colorful than I expected, although I did expect the posters and the DVD selection”

Ah I guess my nerdy hobby is exposed. Curses! “You knew I was a nerd ever since you heard my ring tone” I accuse

“No I only realized that after you addressed your older sister in the way you did” He retorts a smile inching across his face. He pauses “Does she really look like Saber?” I laugh and pull a family picture from my desk and show it to him. He stares at it for a moment and then I see the realization dawn on his face. “That is… eerily similar” He says finally.

Ok enough frivolity. I nudge Fujiko with one toe as her giggles slow. “Come on Fuji” I cajole her up “Hour and a half of study, I’ll cook you dinner then you can head to club. Why is it so late today?”

Fujikos shoulders still tremble with repressed giggles but she finally calms down to say, “Got a live model coming in. Was the only time Noyima could arrange so it’s late today”

“A live model?” Hisao asks, “So… you’re drawing someone naked?”

That shut Fujiko up quickly and she tries to hide her own blush behind the big, baggy sleeves that she prefers. I put on my tutoring cap, break open the books and drinks and begin to get down to it.

Being a tutor is surprisingly easy I find. Using some of the books I own, the lesson cracks along at a fairly fast pace and Hisao seems to be gaining more and more confidence in the subject matter. OK his accent is pretty thick but that’s something he can lose over time, I know I haven’t lost my accent entirely and I’ve been speaking English for most of my life. The idea I have of using fiction to read has seemed to help, although English is a very tricky language at any rate, with seemingly contradictory rules. I actually manage to persuade Hisao to take the first book of The Dresden files as reading material for bed and homework! I’m a genius!

The lesson continues in the dorm kitchen, Hisao getting some odd looks from the other residents as he sits at the table with Fujiko whilst I cook the dinner. We’re talking a little haltingly in English, so we’re naturally drawing some odd looks anyway. I think I see Ikezawa poke her head into the kitchen at one point, utter a dismayed squeak and then vanish at a rapid pace. Guess she wasn’t expecting to see Hisao in the girls’ dorm kitchens.

When the noodles are ready and mixed with the stir-fry, I serve Hisao and Fujiko dinner before joining them at the table. We dig in and the muted sounds of contentment bring a small grin to my face. Mission accomplished. Dinner is devoured very rapidly and Fujiko excuses herself for club. “I’ll leave dessert in the fridge for when you get back I say”

She literally vibrates on the spot “You made dessert?” I nod and she squeals with joy. “I’m looking forward to it!” she says before she begins to leave.

“I’ll leave a note on it so you know it!” I shout as she leaves with a wave. I turn and find Hisao doing the dishes. “You don’t need to do that” I say, joining him and drying what he’s washed.

“Ah but I want to” He corrects me gently. “Consider it thanks for a wonderful dinner. I’m sure your older brother would approve” Oh if only you knew Hisao, if only you knew. The rest of the dishes are done in companionable silence, the other girls having left to eat in their rooms.

“Ready for some science then?” Hisao says as we walk back up the stairs to my room. I nod, not sure I can trust my voice. I knew this was coming but I still feel a little odd about the whole situation. Me alone with a boy in my room. My heart rate is a little faster than normal and I think my palms are sticky.

We reach my room and the door swings open and we step in. Hisao pulls textbooks out and we settle at the desk, side by side on chairs as Hisao draws me down the rabbit hole into the weird and wonderful world of science.

It becomes clear almost immediately that Hisao is easier to understand than Mutou. Hisao breaks down the large unwieldy subjects Mutou rambles about into easily digestible chunks. I’m learning! I can understand this! I begin to smile and Hisao smiles at me. “Feeling more confident?” He asks.

It is then I notice how close we’re sitting together and how much time has passed. We are very, very close to each other. So close I can smell him. The room gets closer and I can feel my pulse racing. Hisao swallows and I think I see his Adams apple bob up and down. It would be so easy to…

I push away from the desk slightly and stand rapidly. “I’m gonna go get dessert! Back soon!” I dart out the door and heave a sigh of relief then curse. I sounded like Ikezawa!

But the atmosphere in there… I slump against a wall. It was… there are no words to describe it. It was… gah, this is hard, and I’ve known him for just over a week.

But there are no ifs or buts about it I muse as I retrieve the desserts from the fridge. I am attracted to him. Question is what do I do about it?

As I make my way more slowly up the stairs I make a decision. For the moment I do nothing. Carry on as normal I guess, play it by ear. I think Hisao is attracted to me as well but he needs more time to settle. Last thing he needs is a whirlwind romance.

Hopefully we can enjoy the desserts in a calmer atmosphere.

That hope is dashed when I open my door. Hisao is holding one of my music CDs, a very particular one. I can feel myself shaking and the desserts tumble from shaking hands as Hisao reads aloud the inscription from the inside of the case.

“To my wonderful little phantom, keep making the music of the night. Keep singing and make your Papa proud!”

I feel fuzzy and I vaguely register my knees hitting the carpet of my room. I can feel my eye flooding with tears.

Why Hisao, why? Why did you have to look at that one?

I’m crying as the words read aloud bring forth a flash flood of memories. Flashes of images and sounds assail me as a wail begins to erupt from throat.

The stage lights.

The green dress I was wearing.

The lyrics of the song drift in and out of my ears as more images assail me as I think Hisao moves to his knees, kneeling besides me. I see one last image, crystal clear, across my retinas.

My papa, dead in a playhouse seat, his hands forever frozen in applause of the song I had just finished singing. It had been our favorite growing up. I squeeze Hisao tighter and I can feel myself sobbing into his sweater vest. He begins to move and I hold him tighter. “Don’t” I say and he stops moving “Just hold me please” I whisper brokenly “I don’t want to be alone”

I cry for a few more minutes, shuddering in great heaving sobs. I grow quieter and the sobs morph into small hiccups. “Are you…” Hisao trails off “I’m sorry” He says finally.

“Not your fault” I sniffle “Shouldn’t have it out but I can’t bear to throw it out. I never said you couldn’t look” I give him a weak wobbly grin. “I…” I swallow. Hisao will be the first person apart from my direct family to know this.

I look him in the eye as I speak “Fujiko said I spoke good English because of my parents. That’s… not entirely true. Akihiro and Akiho are my half siblings. Papa married Mother after their mother died. Akiho and Akihiro’s mother was a third generation UK Japanese. She met Papa in England and they had a love of musicals” I pause and clear my throat “When she died, Papa kept her stuff in the house including all the old tapes of the musicals they loved. I found them, learnt English to sing them.”

“Go on” Hisao urges as I fall silent.

“Papa found me singing them in my room. We would watch the tapes together and he’d take me to places where I’d sing.” I meet his gaze “I was really good Hisao. People paid to see me. Papa was so proud!” I choke up again. “He’d… he’d call me his little phantom, as our favorite musical was the Phantom of the Opera”

I swallow as that image flashes across my eyes again. “Papa died during one my performances. He died in his seat, in the crowd, watching me sing our favorite song.”

There is silence in my room, a heavy, poignant silence. “It was after his funeral that I swore I’d never sing again. I can’t even listen to my favorite tracks anymore without having a flashback Hisao!”

Hisao holds me tighter, on his knees with me. “I am so sorry Ayane” He whispers and kisses my forehead. I sniffle quietly and smile at the feeling of his lips on my forehead.

“You’re the only other person I’ve told the full story too,” I whisper. “Not even Fujiko knows the full story”

“Thank you for sharing that then. I understand it must be hard for you” He says softly.

“Will you come into the city with me at the weekend?” I ask.

Hisao seems bemused “Sure but why?”

I smile softly. My heart is still aching, the echo of papa is still in the room but I feel a little better “To meet the other brother and sister” I say.

“Of course I will,” He says.

We stay locked in the embrace for a few minutes more. “I think I’ve missed curfew” Hisao says suddenly “I… I should head back.”

I stand and shake my head “Not tonight. I have a spare futon in my wardrobe. Please Hisao, I need someone here tonight… I... I don't want the dreams to come back”

I think it’s the broken tone I have and the pleading look I give him but he gives in and he stays the night on my floor.

There are no nightmares this night.

End Scene 3

- Virginia Woolf

AntonSlavik020

Re: Learning the blues (HisaoxOC route) Act 2 Scene 3 up!

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Loved it, especially the scene at the end. It changed it from a good chapter to a great one.

Also, I keep getting confused whenever you say "canteen". I thought at first that Fuji was storing food in her drink container at first, and wasn't entirely sure why Ayane was handing her money. You don't need to change it or anything, just keep in mind some words mean different things in America. The hob was another word that confused me, as that means nothing in American English.

And I'm not sure if I said this before, but I think I'd be awesome if her brother started dating Shizune(just look at my sig), though I'd be perfectly fine with MIsha. Or neither if them, as he's not the focus anyways.
Best girl

Best route
Mirage_GSM

Re: Learning the blues (HisaoxOC route) Act 2 Scene 3 up!

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I can literally hear her roll her eyes from down the corridor.
Literally? I find that unlikely.

And yes, I always start when someone uses "canteen" as well...

Sore wa himitsu desu.