Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Conclusion Update

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 9/1

Post by Hoitash »

griffon8 wrote:It was exciting enough. I liked it.
I aim to please. If I can make something as mundane as fishing entertaining, then I am a true craftsman.

Now if I could just get my homemade flamethrowers to stop exploding....
Hoitash wrote:He was ended up so deep in thought he almost missed his line trying swim away from him.
You seem to have an extra verb here.
As much as I'd like to blame my wrist on that -I really mangled myself, apparently- that was just me changing my thoughts mid-sentence.

Thanks for catching that.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 9/08

Post by Hoitash »

Because the amount of effort put into the preparation of a date can often be directly proportional to said date’s results.

Huh, coulda been a Chemist, too. Although I’d probably of ended up on a black list somewhere for all the alleged explosions and fires.

Anyway…

Previous Chapter

Chapter Twelve: Slinky or Sultry?

“So, Slinky Black Dress, or Little Black Dress?” Lynda asked.

Hisao and Hideaki, sitting on the bed in Lynda and Misha’s guest room, turned to each other, raised an eyebrow, and turned back to Lynda, who was holding a black dress on a hanger in each hand. One was the same strapless one she had worn during Valentine’s Day, while the other was strapped and slightly more conservative in style. Lynda wore it when she wanted to look good at fancier places, like the one she and Misha were going on their date later that day.

The history of the strapless dress appealed to her, though, and she wanted to wear something that she’d be comfortable in, and that Misha would appreciate. What had seemed a simple conundrum had become a major decision, and, unsure what to do herself, Lynda had roped the only other two people in the house to help her decide.

Hideaki raised a hand, “I was told there’d be pizza rolls.”

“They’re behind the ice trays in the freezer,” Lynda stated, “Please focus. Lilly, Akira, and Shizune are helping Misha pick something for tonight, so I need to make sure I pick the right dress.”

“Couldn’t you call someone?” Hisao asked, “This is really not our thing.”

Lynda raised an eyebrow, “You can’t help a woman pick formal evening wear? Really?”

“It’s not that we can’t,” Hideaki replied, “It’s just awkward.”

Hisao nodded, “Yeah. I mean I get you want tonight to go well, but don’t you think you’re overreacting?”

“It’s the principle of the thing,” Lynda replied, “Shizune’ll make sure Misha looks great for me, and I wanna look great for Misha. Make sense?”

Hisao nodded, “Still not sure how much help we can be.”

Lynda shook the hangers she was holding, “Slinky Black Dress, or Little Black Dress? Formal clothes feel stuffy and I prefer something with a high slit, but I really don’t want to look like a whore tonight.”

“Does it really matter?” Hideaki asked, “It’s just gonna end up on the floor later tonight.”

Lynda glared at Hideaki, “There is a line here, you know.”

“True, but you two aren’t nearly as quiet as you think.”

“Moving on,” Lynda said, fighting the creeping flush threatening to blossom across her face, “I need something formal, but classy, but sexy, something on par with whatever Misha’s getting. I can’t afford another dress right now, so these are my options. Now, pick one so we can all go and pretend this never happened.”

Hideaki and Hisao looked to each other again, waiting for the other to make the first move. When neither one said anything for several moments, Lynda groaned and leaned against the wall in exasperation.

“Sometime today, please,” she groaned, “I do need to wash my hair after this.”

The two kept eyeing each other. Hideaki raised an eyebrow at the older man, “You are the one with a girlfriend.”

Hisao sighed. Turning to Lynda, he said, “Okay, fine. First, I don’t want anything said now held against me in the future, okay?

Lynda nodded, “You get a pass, too Hideaki.”

Hideaki adjusted his glasses and nodded, “Appreciated.”

“Second,” Hisao continued, “what do you think of each dress?”

“Well,” Lynda said, looking at the strapless number, “Slinky here has history –I wore it on Valentine’s Day-”

Hisao raised a hand to pause her, “Were you and Misha, ah, intimate, that day?”

Hideaki rolled his eyes, “Dude, really? Valentine’s Day?”

Hisao sighed and nodded, conceding the point, “Okay, so that dress has history-”

“And the presupposition that intimacy will occur after the date,” Hideaki added, looking at the ceiling in an effort to conceal his slightly flushed face.

Hisao wasn’t even bothering. Shizune’s more aggressive nature had inoculated him against such petty emotions as shame.

“Right,” Hisao said, “Although it does go well with your hair.”

“They both do,” Hideaki added, “and Slinky goes with that whole ‘dark and troubled past bad girl’ vibe you exude.”

Hisao nodded, “Good point.”

Lynda raised an eyebrow, “I have a vibe?”

Hideaki nodded, then glanced at Hisao, “Maybe Slinky is a bad idea. It comes with certain preconceived notions.”

“It would also stand out a bit,” Hisao stated.

Lynda snorted, “Yeah, would hate to stand out when I’m an inch taller than everyone and on a date with another woman.”

Hideaki and Hisao glanced at each other again, “…Good point.”

Lynda groaned, “C’mon, guys, this ain’t rocket science.”

“Yes, but if something goes wrong, you’re gonna blame us,” Hideaki countered, “and I have enough women pissed off at me as is thanks to that incident with the haiku.”

Lynda and Hisao raised an eyebrow at the teenager.

Hideaki blinked at them, “What?”

“You ain’t right,” Lynda remarked.

“Be that as it may,” Hideaki stated, “That is not the issue at hand.”

“Then help me pick a damn dress already!”

Hisao sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, “If you’re this worked up about it, pick the strapped one. It’ll still look good, has a formal vibe, and Misha will get that. She’ll appreciate the gesture as much as your willingness to get dolled up.”

“Although if you did something with your hair….” Hideaki said, leaning to one side to get a better look at it.

“Not my shtick,” Lynda stated. Eyeing the Little Black Dress, she asked, “You really think I should go strapped?”

“How much do you wanna get gawked at?” Hisao countered.

Lynda sighed and tossed the strapless dress onto a pile of clothes in the corner, “Not that much. Thanks, I thought the history of the dress might make it a good choice, but… it’s just not right for this.”

Hideaki glanced at the dress on the pile, “It does seem more like a clubbing dress.”

Hisao nodded.

“Yeah,” Lynda stepped away from the wall, “Thanks guys, now could you please get out and never speak of this to anyone?”

The two nodded, stood up, and left the room. They barely cleared the threshold when the door was closed behind them and something banged against it several times.

Hideaki adjusted his glasses, “She didn’t strike me as the headbanging time.”

“Sometimes facepalming isn’t enough,” Hisao stated, “So, that just happened.”

Hideaki nodded, “Definitely one of the weirder things I’ve done.”

Hisao nodded, “Guess that’s Americans for you. Must be something in the water. So… wanna play Call of Duty?”

Hideaki shrugged, “Sure.”

While Lynda tried to recover from her advice seeking, Misha was having her own issues in town.

[“Do you think it’s too much?”] Misha asked, [“I don’t want Lynda to feel like I outdid her.”]

Akira made a circular motion with her finger pointed at the floor, “Do a spin.”

Partially surrounded by mirrors in a large fitting room of a small boutique, Misha carefully spun around to show off her new tailored purple qipao. On the other side of the room were Akira, Lilly, and Shizune, sitting on several old rickety stools.

Misha raised an eyebrow, [“Well?”]

Akira whistled, “Nice.”

Shizune smirked and nodded, [Very nice. You always had the figure for this type of clothing, even before you lost that weight.]

While Shizune signed what she said to Lilly, Misha asked, [“Thanks, but do you think it’s too much?”]

“Does Lynda not like being outdressed or something?” Akira asked.

“I believe it’s more that she’s worried she’ll be an inadequate date,” Lilly remarked.

Misha nodded while Lilly relayed what she had said into Shizune’s waiting palm.

[“She’s had serious partners before,”] Misha said, [“but she still gets nervous about stuff like this, and if I’m overdressed it’ll bug her the entire evening~.”]

“Ah,” Akira said, “Gotcha. Well, what’s she likely to wear to this little shindig?”

Misha scrunched up her face in thought, [“A black dress, maybe the strapless one? I’m not too sure what she brought with her.”]

“Strapless?” Lilly asked.

[“She wore it for our first Valentine’s Day together,”] Misha replied.

“You’re going to that place Uncle Jiggy likes, right?” Akira asked.

Misha nodded while Lilly told Shizune what Akira had said.

When she was done translating, Lilly said, “That dress might not be the best choice.”

Shizune nodded, [Does she have a strapped dress?]

Misha shrugged, [“I think all she wears are dresses, but yes, she has several black dresses with straps. I just don’t know if she brought one.”]

“She probably did,” Lilly said, “I’m sure she would think to bring both, at least, if she were to bring any formal wear.”

“Anyway,” Akira said, “I think what you got works fine. She’ll be too busy ogling you to think much about anything else.”

Misha grinned, [“You think so?”]

Shizune nodded, [You both look good and you know it. What’s important is that you’re willing to go to this much trouble for a regular date. The gesture means more than the clothes.]

“What she said,” Akira stated, “I think. That was a little fast for me.”

Misha grinned, [“Thanks, Shicchan, you’re right.”]

Shizune smirked and adjusted her glasses, [Naturally. And besides, no friend of mine is going to a date not looking her best, and neither is her partner! You’ll both look great.]

Misha nodded. That was the hope, at least. Reality would have to wait.

+++
Next Chapter

Sometimes I can’t tell if I’m a genius, a lunatic, or an idiot.

Although two of those are not necessarily mutually exclusive....
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Hoitash wrote:Huh, coulda been a Chemist, too. Although I’d probably of ended up on a black list somewhere for all the alleged explosions and fires.
of->have.
Hisao and Hideaki, sitting on the bed in Lynda and Misha’s guest room, turned to each other, raised an eyebrow, and turned back to Lynda, who was holding a black dress on a hangar in each hand.
hangar
1. A shed or shelter.
2. Any relatively wide structure used for housing airplanes or airships.
(You probably meant 'hanger')
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Vempele wrote: hangar
1. A shed or shelter.
2. Any relatively wide structure used for housing airplanes or airships.
(You probably meant 'hanger')
Indeed I did. Thanks for that :)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Hoitash wrote:Lynda wore it when she wanted to look good at fancier places, like the one she and Misha were going on their date later that day.

<snip>

“Does it really matter?” Hideaki asked, “It’s just gonna end up on the floor later that night.”
The date's the same night, so "that night" comes off oddly, when "tonight" would work.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

bhtooefr wrote: The date's the same night, so "that night" comes off oddly, when "tonight" would work.
Hmm, good point. Thanks, that does work better, I think.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

"...that incident with the haiku.”
Another noodle incident :-D

“I believe it’s more that she’s worried she’ll be an inadequate date,” Lilly remarked after Shizune had relayed what she had said to the others.
Wait... Akira asks something, and Shizune has to translate it for Lilly to understand???
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:

“I believe it’s more that she’s worried she’ll be an inadequate date,” Lilly remarked after Shizune had relayed what she had said to the others.
Wait... Akira asks something, and Shizune has to translate it for Lilly to understand???
That's poor word ordering on my part. What happened is a line or two ago Shizune said something using JSL, then used deaf-blind sign to say what she had said to Lilly, who may or not have had to whisper it to Akira for context.

Yeah, I know.

So I altered that scene to make more sense. Since Word of God says that Akira knows sign language -or at least how to read it- the convoluted metaphorical telephone would probably end at Lilly.

Sorry about that, hopefully the changes make more sense.
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 9/15

Post by Hoitash »

I will go on this date, but in exchange, I shall, at some point in the future, ask you for a favor. And you, being the respectable businessman you are, with your hat in your hand, shall respond.

…Okay, that didn’t play out right. Just go watch The Godfather (preferably after reading this :wink:)

Previous Chapter

Chapter Thirteen: A Date with Answers

The restaurant was definitely of the higher-end variety. Dimly lit for ambience, Misha and Lynda had been swiftly seated in a back booth following their arrival. The light complimented Lynda’s outfit well, although she was too busy admiring the way Misha’s qipao hugged her curves to pay much attention.

As usual, Misha had done up her hair for the occasion, though she didn’t dye it like she normally might have. Instead, she just had it held up in a bun with some chopsticks, adding to the already traditional and stunning look.

“You pull that look off so well,” Lynda remarked.

Misha grinned, “Thanks. You look great, too.”

Lynda smiled, though it faltered a bit as she glanced around the restaurant, “Um… what kind of work does Mr. Hakamichi do again?”

Misha raised an eyebrow, “Consultancy work of some kind, I think.”

“In… what professional field?”

“Why d’you ask?”

Lynda leaned over slightly to better look at the rest of the establishment. The only other diners were a small group of suited men huddled around a small round table having a hushed conversation, and two women in red dresses at the bar chatting with the bartender.

“I’m not sure I feel safe here,” Lynda declared.

“Why?”

“…Never mind,” Lynda said, “I’m just imagining things.”

Misha blinked, shrugged, and turned to face the quietly approaching waiter, who was holding a stand for a fancy ice bucket in one hand, and a tray with two glasses of water and two smaller empty glasses in the other.

Setting the bucket down, he gestured to the chilled sake bottle inside and said, “Compliments of the management, courtesy of your family friend, Mr. Hakamichi.”

Lynda nodded, “Thank you.”

The waiter placed the glasses in front of the two women, bowed, and departed.

“That was nice of Mr. Hakamichi,” Misha said.

“Yeah…” Lynda said. Turning to face Misha, she leaned forward and asked, “Um… do you know anything about what Mr. Hakamichi did when he was younger? His autobiography doesn’t really say much about his younger days.”

Misha shrugged, “Nope, why?”

“…Never mind,” Lynda said again, “I just keep getting this feeling if he ever sees you upset, I’m gonna end up in the Sea of Japan tied to a cement block next to where he dumped Hisao.”

“…You think too much.”

Lynda nodded, “I know. So, um, sake?”

Misha eyed the bottle. She had enough experience thanks to her mother to recognize a high-end brand when she saw it. Since refusing it would be rude, Misha took the bottle and carefully pored two shots into the waiting glasses.

“A drink or two won’t hurt, right?” she mused.

“Shouldn’t,” Lynda replied. Taking her glass, she raised it and said, “To us, and my continued obsession with corny romantic one-liners.”

Misha chuckled and raised her own glass. After sipping their drinks, the two looked over the menu, or, rather, Misha looked over the menu and made suggestions to Lynda. Eventually the two figured out what they wanted, and when the waiter returned, they gave him their orders. He scribbled down their orders, bowed, and left.

Misha sipped at her sake before asking, “So, have you enjoyed the trip so far?”

Lynda nodded, “Yeah, it’s gone a lot better than I thought it would. But I’m getting used to that when dealing with you.”

Misha tilted her head, “What do you mean?”

“Well…” Lynda looked down at her glass, which she was holding with both hands. Muttering “fuck it” to herself, she downed the shot and leaned forward slightly, “you might have guessed by now, but you’re the longest relationship I’ve ever had. Even if you don’t start counting until my transfer was official.”

“Uh…” Misha blinked a few times. Focusing on the little flickering candle between them, she said, “I… did wonder about that.”

Lynda sighed, “I’m like a walking PSA for mental disorder treatment, aren’t I?”

Misha looked up, “There’s nothing wrong with that. We’re barely in our twenties. It’s silly to have any serious long-term relationship experience.”

Lynda gave a weak smile, “True. It’s just weird sometimes that you seem to have a better handle on this stuff than I do.”

“Maybe ‘cuz my friends aren’t a bunch of geeky guys?” Misha quipped.

“Hey, they’re your friends, too.”

Misha chuckled, but quickly turned serious, “…Remember earlier in the week when you asked me to ask you something personal?”

Lynda raised an eyebrow, “Yeah. Somethin’ else on your mind?”

Misha nodded, “I was wondering, have you dated more women or men, or is it pretty even?”

Lynda sighed and looked down at her empty shot glass, thinking. After a minute of silent mulling, she looked up at the waiting amber orbs of her partner, sighed again, and answered Misha’s question.

“Overall, I’ve dated more men, but that’s mainly because I swore off women for a while after that Lit Club experience. That actually helped me sort out my sexual orientation a bit, so I guess it wasn’t all bad. In terms of just sexual partners, it’s more or less even. And yes, the number of people I’ve had sex with is substantially higher than the number of people I’ve had a genuine relationship with.”

“Oh,” Misha replied.

Lynda smirked, “I did say I was willing to be more open about my past.”

“I know, but… wow.”

Lynda tapped her shot glass with an index finger, “This might be helping things, but… I want to be more open with you about my life. You’re a part of it, and you deserve to know what you’re getting into, whether you care or not.”

“Okay, just… don’t force yourself. I don’t want you to resent me for making you tell me things you aren’t ready to.”

Lynda smiled and nodded, “I won’t. But maybe we should talk about something… else.”

“Sure,” Misha said, “Actually~, I received a text from Carla this morning….”

The two chatted about college friends and courses until dinner arrived, and even partway through the meal, until Misha, still mildly concerned how Lynda was interacting with Shizune’s family, redirected the conversation to more recent topics.

“You and Akira seem to be getting along,” Misha remarked.

Lynda nodded, “Cracks about the Brits aside, we’re both outgoing women brought up in conservative households with blended families. We get each other.”

Misha nodded, “She’s pretty great. What do you think about Lilly?”

“…I can see why she and Shizune would have problems, and I don’t mean the obvious.”

Misha sighed, “Yeah, although it was partly my fault. I wasn’t a very good translator in the beginning, and I didn’t think I had the head for it. People sometimes think I’m an idiotic airhead, but it’s just interpreting takes so much work there’s not a whole lot of brain space left.”

“Yeah, I feel that way after working on documents and stuff,” Lynda said, “and I don’t have the added problem of playing diplomat. And I never thought you were an idiot. Hell, you know four languages! You’re not an airhead, you brain’s just full.”

“You know four languages, too,” Misha said, “and an extinct dialect, and you come across as a lot more collected and… normal.”

Lynda snorted, “Practice. When I was teaching myself Russian I almost failed a couple classes because I was too tired to study. And then I started work on the dialects, and now with the JSL and Japanese, I’m surprised I remember my own name sometimes.”

“Good thing my nickname is Russian,” Misha quipped.

Lynda chuckled and the two went back to their food. For dessert, the two decided on some coffee and slices of chocolate cake. Having relaxed from her earlier trepidation about their locale and the awkward conversations about her past, Lynda spent most of dessert staring at Misha.

Misha noticed and smirked at the other woman from behind her coffee, “See something you like, Lycchan?”

“You really are beautiful, you know that?” Lynda remarked, “I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who could pull of a classic look like you could.”

Misha flushed lightly and hid behind her coffee cup, “Thanks. You okay?”

Lynda smiled and nodded, “Yeah. I just, haven’t felt this good in a couple weeks.”

“Glad I could help,” Misha said. Lowering her cup, she grinned and added, “Guess we need to thank Mr. Hakamichi later.”

“And Hisao,” Lynda stated, “This was his idea.”

Misha nodded, “Speaking of, what were you thinking of doing when we got back?”

Lynda raised an eyebrow and bit her lip to stop from saying the smart remark that came to mind. A moment later Misha got the hint and chuckled.

“Okay, I walked into that.”

“Little bit,” Lynda said, “Speaking of….”

Lynda had remembered Hideaki’s comment about the two not being as quiet as they thought, but decided against saying anything. She was feeling about as up as her depressive cycle would allow, and didn’t want to ruin it with a lack of passionate sex.

“Lycchan?” Misha prompted, “What were you saying?”

Lynda smiled and shrugged, “Slipped my mind.”

+++
Next Chapter

Lynda is firmly in the “healthy adolescent sex drive” camp.

So is Misha, apparently.

Hopefully Jigoro has earplugs.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Four days and no comments? You deserve much more than to be ignored for this chapter.

Anyway, I really liked this. The way Misha and Lynda interact is positively lovely. Even when Lynda thinks their date is taking place on the set of The Godfather.
Hoitash wrote:Lynda nodded, “Yeah, it’s gone a lot better than I thought it would. But I’m getting used to that with dealing with you.”
You must be getting better. Not only is this the only error I noticed, but it’s a subtle error.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

griffon8 wrote:Four days and no comments? You deserve much more than to be ignored for this chapter.
Eh, I've always been a niche writer. Why I shifted to self publishing.
Anyway, I really liked this. The way Misha and Lynda interact is positively lovely. Even when Lynda thinks their date is taking place on the set of The Godfather.
Or the Japan Arc of Black Lagoon.

I enjoyed their little date as well, which took a bit of work to get the dialogue right. Glad it paid off :)
Hoitash wrote:Lynda nodded, “Yeah, it’s gone a lot better than I thought it would. But I’m getting used to that with dealing with you.”
You must be getting better. Not only is this the only error I noticed, but it’s a subtle error.
Indeed, thanks for that.
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 9/22

Post by Hoitash »

This is the third to last chapter, for the curious.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Fourteen: Swimming with the Suits

Friday afternoon in town was a normal occurrence for Lynda, regardless of the continent she happened to be on at the time. The lunch with Akira was new, though. With the exception of Mr. Hakamichi, the Hakamichis and Satou sisters plus Misha and Lynda had gone into town for some shopping, lunch, and more shopping.

During lunch, Akira had steered Lynda away from the group and to a small bar with some outdoor seating. Along the way Lynda had texted Misha where she was and what was going on, and that if she didn’t make it back, she loved Misha very, very much. Misha’s response was a single eye roll emoticon.

The outdoor dining area had an awning for shade, and the two were in the corner table, separated by the passing foot traffic by an iron railing. Akira had requested the table specifically, so she could smoke while she drank her beer without bothering anyone. She had bought a beer for Lynda as well, which she was slowly nursing out of politeness –she was worried she’d been drinking too much over the vacation.

“You’re probably wondering why I wanted to have lunch with you,” Akira said, sticking to English.

Lynda shrugged, “I figured you were just doing the protective cousin thing, even if Misha’s not a blood relative. That, or Mr. Hakamichi ordered you to meet with me, and you’re gonna make me wear cement sandals at the bottom of the ocean.”

Akira stared at Lynda for a couple seconds before bursting out in laughter. A couple of patrons gave her odd looks and a couple passing pedestrians scooted away from her outburst. Her laughter turned into a harsh cough, which she spent a few moments fighting. When she had managed to regain her composure, Lynda held out her glass of water for her.

“Thanks,” Akira said, taking the glass and downing a long pull. When she was done she set the glass down, “Sorry about that.”

“Most of my dad’s family smokes, so I’m used to it,” Lynda said.

“Gotcha, though I can’t imagine why you’d think I’d dump you in the ocean.”

Lynda shrugged, “My brain is not a logical place. Too many chemical imbalances.”

“Ah,” Akira said, mildly confused but knowing better than to pry, “Well, I ain’t gonna dump your body somewhere they’ll never find it, but you were sorta on the right track.”

Lynda raised an eyebrow, but the waitress appeared before either of them could say anything. She bowed lightly and asked if the two were ready to order anything.

“Ah, sorry, haven’t had a chance to look at the menu,” Akira replied in Japanese.

“At least you can read it,” Lynda muttered.

Akira chuckled but kept her gaze on the expectant waitress, “It’s been a while, but this place used to have good burgers, believe it nor not.”

“Still true,” the waitress stated.

“Sounds good,” Lynda said in Japanese, “medium rare, please.”

“Medium for me,” Akira stated.

The waitress nodded, jotted down their orders, bowed, and left.

Akira turned back to Lynda, “Anyway, I may have dragged you off to chat, but I also wanted to have a drink with someone who isn’t a forty year old man sipping scotch that cost more than my car, you know?”

Lynda nodded, “Sure, but you wanted to chat about me and Misha?”

“Kinda. I just worry about her, ever since she did the hair dye thing.”

“Did she ever tell you why she did that?”

Akira shook her head, “No, though she never told us she was gay, either, which is kinda my point. I just wanna know if she’s doin’ okay, regardless of what she says.”

Lynda nodded, “Makes sense.”

Akira raised an eyebrow, “Well?”

“Uh… well, I can’t really speak for before she came to the States, but I’m fairly certain she’s happy now, and she was pretty upset when I was stuck in Canada for a while. So I’d say she’s doing okay. She hasn’t cut her hair again, at least.”

Akira grinned, took a quick drag from her cigarette to finish it off, exhaled, and said, “I guessed as much, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. I gotta ask, though, what’s Misha the International Student like?”

“You mean what is she like over there as opposed to over here?”

Akira nodded.

Lynda sipped at her beer while she thought the question over. When she was ready, she said, “Misha tries very hard to put the past behind her. She does a very good job of that, but, when she’s here, she seems… weighed down, somehow. Maybe that’s the wrong phrase… ah, not weighed down, just… weary. There’s a lot of bad memories here, and sometimes she doesn’t want to have to deal with that. Over there, the pain’s more abstract and less tangible.”

Akira nodded, “I know the feeling. I felt the same way when I first moved back to Scotland.”

It was also why Lynda was dreading her looming stay in Canada, but she refrained from mentioning that.

“I’m not saying she’s not happy here,” Lynda said, “she’s just less tied down by the past over there. Which is kinda ironic since confronting that past is part of why we’re together in the first place.”

Akira smirked and nodded, “Life is kinda crazy like that.”

==

Elsewhere in town, the rest of the group was also eating lunch. They had stopped at a restaurant Shizune liked. While Hideaki and Hisao debated who would carry what bags at a separate table, Shizune, sitting next to Lilly, sat across from Misha, and was asking about Akira’s choice in lunch partners.

After palming her question into her cousin’s waiting hand, Shizune asked, [Why doesn’t she think she’ll come back?]

[“I think she thinks Mr. Hakamichi is a retired Yakuza member, or something,”] Misha replied.

[…That may be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, and that includes the crap Hideaki reads online.]

Misha shrugged and sipped her water. When she was done, she asked, [“Lilly, do you know why she might wanna talk to Lynda?”]

Lilly hmmed thoughtfully as she sipped her tea. After setting her cup down, she replied, “I’m not entirely sure, but it might be she’s wondering if you’re doing as well as you appear to be.”

[“I didn’t know she cared so much.”]

“She was rather concerned when you dyed your hair,” Lilly explained.

When Lilly had translated that, Shizune added, [Probably because you were my only friend, so she was worried something had happened between us.]

[“Perceptive woman,”] Misha stated.

Shizune gave Misha a forlorn look, [I did apologize for that.]

Misha sighed, and, no longer verbally speaking, signed, [I didn’t mean it like that, and while you may have, that doesn’t exactly excuse either of our behavior.]

Shizune nodded, and, rather than say anything more, took a long sip from her tea.

Since Misha wasn’t speaking and Shizune had let go of her hand, Lilly raised a concerned eyebrow and asked, “Is everything all right?”

“Yep,” Misha replied.

Shizune raised an eyebrow at Misha, who gave a weak grin and a nod. Smiling briefly, Shizune looked down at the so far neglected menu, [What were you thinking of getting for lunch?]

While the women chatted, Hideaki and Hisao managed to resolve the Great Debate of Hisao had a heart condition so Hideaki had to man up and carry the heavy bags.

Having resolved the issue, Hisao watched as Hideaki, who could see the women’s table, peered at them from over his menu in a comically conspicuous manner.

“So what are they talking about?” Hisao asked.

Hisao figured as long as Hideaki was intent on eavesdropping, he may as well use his powers for good. Namely making sure they were all behaving nicely and Hisao didn’t end up between the two cousins again. That never ended well for anyone.

“Looks like they’re wondering why Akira wanted to have lunch with Lynda,” Hideaki stated, “Something to do with Sis, apparently.”

Hisao nodded, “Makes sense.”

Hideaki raised an eyebrow at him, “Really?”

“Well, to me it does,” he clarified.

“…I’m missing something here.”

“Yes, and it’s not my place to say it.”

“…Misha confessed to Shizune and she rejected her, didn’t she?”

“…How do you do that?” Hisao asked.

Hideaki shrugged, “I’m a psychic spy.”

“Stop reading my text messages, it’s rude.”

“And your friend is insane.”

Hisao raised an eyebrow, “Says the man eavesdropping on three women.”

Hideaki shrugged, “Someone has to keep an eye on them.”

“And who watches the watcher?”

“You, obviously.”

Hisao sighed and sipped his coffee.

+++
Next Chapter

Actually, Hideaki probably just added Misha is a lesbian with the hair change and came to the far-off conclusion that was most likely to put his sister in a negative light.

Hindsight is a pain like that.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

and you’re gonna make me where cement sandals at the bottom of the ocean.”
This took me a few seconds to figure out, but I think you meant "wear"
Her laughter turned into a harsh cough,
Lung cancer. Early stages. Calling it now.
You can have burgers in medium?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

It's still legal to order them in medium-rare in the US: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/06/rare-burgers/

No idea about Japan, though.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
and you’re gonna make me where cement sandals at the bottom of the ocean.”
This took me a few seconds to figure out, but I think you meant "wear"
Whoops. You are correct, Sir!

No one will get that reference....
Her laughter turned into a harsh cough,
Lung cancer. Early stages. Calling it now.
If what I've heard of Japanese smoking habits are true, half the country should have lung cancer.
You can have burgers in medium?
Some people insist to fully cook a burger is sacrilege of the highest caliber. I figure a place in Japan willing to serve a decent burger is willing to go all the way for its customers.

And there have been times when I've asked for some pink and the cook apparently heard it as "flame kissed for a couple seconds."