Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Conclusion Update

WORDS WORDS WORDS

dewelar

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 8/11

Post by dewelar »

This was the best chapter of the story so far, I'd say. Mainly, though, I'm posting because this error amused me:
Lynda wet out into the hallway
Indeed, so she might after a conversation with Jigoro :wink:.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 8/11

Post by Hoitash »

dewelar wrote:This was the best chapter of the story so far, I'd say.
Thank you. I am capable of being serious, but tend to balk out of concern of borking it up.

Guess I should do it more often :).
Mainly, though, I'm posting because this error amused me:
Lynda wet out into the hallway
Indeed, so she might after a conversation with Jigoro :wink:.
Well, her stepfather is a Sergeant, so between him and the deranged man-bear with a katana fetish, it's anyone's guess who's the more intimidating one.

(Also fixed. And thanks.)
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 8/25

Post by Hoitash »

Hello boys, I’m baaaaaaaaaccccckkkkk!

Also, brief explanation: Akira took the job in Scotland to avoid her Dad cockblocking her career, while Lilly stayed for Hanako, ala Blame (which is kinda fun to read, though it gets kinda weird near the climax before normalling out. Also, normalling is now a word, because I said so.)

KNEEL BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE WORDSMITH, CREATOR OF LANGUAGE AND FORGER OF THOUGHT AND IMAGINATION!

And Akira smokes, because simply beating her asshole father to death isn’t a viable option.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Ten: The Obligatory Cameo

The Satou sisters were expected to arrive sometime after lunch, which gave Lynda enough time to lament her lousy timing visiting Shizune and Hisao. Although Hisao made sure they still got in her tutoring session, so she didn’t have too much time to worry about it. Besides, there wasn’t a whole lot she could do about it anyway, so better to focus on making a good impression.

Both to avoid housework and to improve his own signing, Hideaki had decided to observe the latest tutoring session, sitting quietly in a corner of the patio as he watched. His presence didn’t bother anyone, so Lynda was able to get through the lesson relatively easily, even if Hisao kept upping the ante in terms of difficulty. And refusing to speak English –Lynda was starting to wonder if he would start tutoring her using written kanji notes.

“Very good,” Hisao concluded as the session came to an end, “You’re definitely a fast learner.”

“Just when it comes to languages,” Lynda replied, switching to English now that the lesson was over, “When it comes to dealing with anxiety I’m a lot slower.”

“You really need to chill,” Hideaki said, speaking for the first time. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a foil wrapped taquito and offered it to Lynda.

Lynda raised an eyebrow and held up a hand to decline the snack. Hideaki shrugged and ate it himself. Somewhat practiced in the art herself, Lynda couldn’t help but be impressed at his lack of a gag reflex as he more or less shoved the entire thing down his throat in one go.

Hisao was clearly less impressed and more bemused, asking, “Shouldn’t you be sorting the fishing rods for later?”

Hidekai shrugged again, “I go where I am needed. All anyone need is signal for me, and I shall come.”

“HIDEAKI!!” the unmistakable bellow of Mr. Hakamichi blasted from the house, “STOP WATCHING THOSE STUPID RAP BATTLES ONLINE AND FINISH GETTING MY FISHING RODS READY FOR TODAY!”

“Ah, there we go,” Hideaki said, “I wondered if I’d be able to hear his dulcet tones out here. I have to go now; my people need me.”

“Going back to your home planet?” Lynda quipped.

Hideaki shrugged, hefted himself off the patio, and shuffled off into the house. As Hisao and Lynda gathered their stuff, Misha, who had stood to the side to make sure Lynda rested her wrists, put a hand on Lynda’s shoulder to get her attention.

“It’ll be fine~,” she stated.

Lynda smiled and nodded, “I know. I worry too much. Wait, what did he say about fishing rods?”

Hisao sighed and replied, “It’s sort of an annual tradition to go fishing whenever Akira and Lilly come over.”

Misha nodded in confirmation.

“That makes sense, I think,” Lynda sighed and rubbed her forehead, mentally worn out from a combination of anxiety, the session, and her depressive cycle, “I should probably stop doing that for a while, actually. Let my brain rest.”

Misha grinned and grabbed her stuff, waiting for Lynda to do the same while Hisao gathered his things and left. When Lynda was ready, she headed back inside, Misha alongside her.

“Everything set for Friday?” Misha asked.

Lynda nodded; she had informed Misha of her date plan the previous night, “Yup. Mr. Hakamichi was oddly helpful about that. Plus it’ll get us outta the family’s hair for a while.”

Misha nodded, “Yeah; Lilly and I never really got along, but I think that was because I was Shizune’s mouthpiece~.”

“The Mouth of Shicchan?” Lynda quipped.

Misha chuckled and nodded, “I wasn’t very popular in high school, but everyone was afraid enough of Shicchan to leave me alone~.”

“You said earlier Shizune and Lilly had a fight,” Lynda said, pausing to grab the door inside before asking, “Did they ever make up?”

Misha nodded, “After Akira transferred for work, they started working things out.”

The two went inside and unloaded their stuff in there room. With nothing else to do and no time to really start anything, they idled away the time until the Satous' arrival on their cell phones. Eventually someone knocked on their door, and Hisao’s voice stated that the Satou sisters were at the gate, on their way in.

Lynda sighed and put away her phone. Misha gave her a reassuring smile as she did the same, and the two headed downstairs.

Hisao and Shizune were waiting by the front door, both having a very animated conversation. Or rather, Shizune was unleashing a diatribe, and Hisao was trying to calm her down without resorting to grabbing her hands. Shizune was signing too fast for Lynda to understand what she was saying, and Misha was deliberately looking away, but from what Lynda could understand of Hisao’s rare and deliberately calm responses, it seemed like Lilly was the subject of Shizune’s venting.

Muttering so Hisao wouldn’t hear, Lynda asked Misha, “I thought you said Shizune and Lilly had worked it out?”

Misha grimaced and replied, “Well… they reached a… détente, of sorts. And age has mellowed them both a bit, so~….”

Lynda sighed, “If I’da known we were walking into a warzone, I woulda skipped my meds and downed a fifth of tequila before they got here.”

Misha glared at Lynda, “No. Bad Lynda!”

Lynda snorted and smirked. Glancing at Shizune, she noticed with relief that the other woman seemed to have vented herself, and was patiently awaiting the arrival of her cousins.

A couple of moments later the front door swung open, revealing the imposing figure of Jigoro Hakamichi. Behind him was a slightly taller than average woman in a pinstriped suit. She had short blond hair, bright red eyes, and an easygoing smile that seemed out of place when compared to her clothing.

Mr. Hakamichi stepped into the house, holding the door open with one hand so that the woman could enter, even though she was still outside. She gave a brief wave to everyone inside to show she had seen them, then stepped to the side of the door, holding out a hand for someone. Lynda heard the tapping of a cane against concrete and saw someone grope out for the proffered hand. Akira took the hand and waited as her younger sister slowly stepped into view. Together, the two women stepped into the house, the short woman gently guiding the other as they walked.

The other woman was taller and curvier, with long blond hair held up with a dark blue ribbon. She was wearing a beige vest and white blouse with a long beige skirt that reach her ankles. The hand that wasn’t currently holding her sister’s had a long, slender metal cane in it, currently held so that it was out of the way of the floor and any potential objects or people in the woman’s path.

Once both women were in the house, Mr. Hakamichi closed the door. Lynda might’ve imagined it, but he seemed to be giving his daughter an apprehensive look.

“Hey, folks!” the shorter woman greeted, “Been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Hey, Akira,” Hisao greeted.

[Hello,] Shizune said.

“Hi Akira!” Misha chirped, “Hi Lilly!”

The taller woman smiled lightly and replied, “Hello. Is everyone here?”

“Mostly,” Mr. Hakamichi grunted. Still eyeing his daughter, he said [Go check on Hideaki.]

Shizune scowled at her father, nodded once, and stepped up to Lilly. Carefully taking her hand in hers, not waiting for Akira to disentangle herself from her sister, Shizune started tracing something in the taller woman’s palm. Lilly’s brow furrowed for a second, then softened into a smile that Lynda could only describe as cheeky.

Carefully resting her cane against her other arm, Lilly palmed a response. Shizune smirked, adjusted her glasses, and strode out of the house, closing the front door behind her.

Hisao and Misha tried not to look too relieved at the encounter, and both more than likely failed. Akira, if anything, seemed amused by the two cousin’s interaction. Smirking at the two’s conversation, she looked up at the others, quickly glancing at all of them before focusing on Lynda.

Catching the other woman’s eye and taking the hint, Lynda stepped forward, bowed, and said in English, “Hello, I’m Lynda Long, Misha’s girlfriend. I’m, uh, spending the week here. With Misha. And the Hakamichis.”

Akira grinned, strode forward, and stuck out her hand, “Hey, Misha mentions you a lot. Nice to finally meet yah in person.”

Lynda visibly relaxed, both from Akria’s use of English –even if she had been expecting it- and Akira’s casual demeanor. Returning the grin, Lynda took Akira’s hand and gave it a firm shake. As she did, she caught the faintest whiff of tobacco smoke.

“Same here,” chuckling lightly, she added, “I guess we’re kin of sorts, ain’t we?”

Akira raised an eyebrow, until comprehension dawned and she chuckled, “Seems so.”

A series of clicks diverted Lynda’s attention to Lilly, who was collapsing her cane. Holding it in both hands, she bowed in the direction of Lynda’s voice and said, “A pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Long. Misha speaks very highly of you.”

Lynda shifted and returned the bow for the sake of decorum, then said, “I’m glad to hear that, and please Miss Satou, call me Lynda.”

Lilly smiled and nodded, “Very well, and please, call me Lilly.”

Akira smirked and pointed at herself with her thumb, “And I’m Akira.”

Lynda smirked and nodded. Lilly furrowed her brow and tilted her head toward the door, which a moment later opened. Hideaki stepped through and tried to close the door behind him, but Shizune forced her way through before he could. She scowled and tried to bop him on the head, but Hideaki dodged it and twisted until he was next to Akira.

Turning away from Lynda to watch the two siblings, Akira grinned and pat Hideaki’s head, ruffling his hair as she said, “Hey, Squirt! Everything ready?”

Hideaki sighed and squirmed under his cousin’s touch, though Lynda could tell it was mainly for show. Although the nickname was clearly an old one, as the two were basically the same height.

Shizune glowered at her brother as he took shelter from her wrath. A moment later her expression became more neutral as she turned to her father –still waiting by the door and so disturbingly silent Lynda would have forgotten he was there if she couldn’t see him plain as day- and signed, [Everything is ready.]

Mr. Hakamichi nodded and grunted, “Good,” glancing to Lilly, he added, “I suppose we should have some tea before we depart?”
Last edited by Hoitash on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

“If we have time, that would be lovely,” Lilly stated.

Hideaki nodded, “I’m on it.”

“Don’t forget the coffee,” Hisao, Misha, Akira, and Lynda said together.

“I won’t,” Hideaki stated, shuffling off to the kitchen.

“We’ll be in the parlor,” Mr. Hakamichi said.

Lilly nodded and held out her arm. Akira wrapped her own around Lilly’s and gently guided her into the living room. Hisao and Shizune followed, Shizune sparing a sidelong glance in the direction Hideaki had left as they walked. With a reassuring glance, Misha left as well, Lynda close behind.

Lilly and Akira sat down on the sofa. Mr. Hakamichi set himself in the largest chair in the room. Hisao and Shizune took the two smaller chairs on the right of the sofa, while Misha plopped herself down in the remaining chair, scrunching over so Lynda could sit as well.

Once everyone was seated, Hisao was the first to speak, asking Akira how things were in Scotland. As he spoke, Misha immediately started translating for Shizune.

Switching to Japanese, Akira sighed and shrugged, “It is what it is. I don’t regret my decision, but it can really be a pain dealing with my father sometimes.”

“Father means well,” Lilly said, also in Japanese, “Though at times he can be a bit… short-sighted.”

Akira rolled her eyes, but said nothing, “Anyway, never mind the boring crap. How’re you guys doing?”

Hisao shrugged, “Can’t complain. Schools going well, Shizune hasn’t tried to conquer any other universities, and Mr. Hakamichi hasn’t tossed me into the Sea of Japan tied to a cement block.”

“That can change,” Mr. Hakamichi growled.

Shizune glowered at her father, who scowled back. Hisao chuckled, leaned slightly, and put a hand on Shizune’s shoulder. She glanced at her father for another moment before slowly relaxing, turning back to the group with a small smile.

Akira chuckled, “Well that’s good to hear. How are things on your end, Uncle Jiggy?”

Frowning at the name, Mr. Hakamichi tore his gaze from Hisao and replied, “Satisfactory, for the most part. I’m mostly saddled with busywork these days, and frankly, I miss the challenge of actual work. Still, I can’t complain about the results, and my autobiography is doing reasonably well.”

Akira nodded, looking businesslike for a minute, “Good to hear. Sounds downright relaxing after all the crap I have to deal with.”

“That reminds me,” Lilly stated, “Hanako requested that I relay her apologies for her inability to join us. She… had a deadline that’s taking up most of her time right now.”

Mr. Hakamichi nodded, while Shizune and Hisao exchanged a glance. Lynda ignored the feeling of being left out of the conversation; something she’d gotten used to from being in a big family. It helped she was having a hard time following the conversation anyway.

“Honestly, I didn’t expect her to come,” Mr. Hakamichi stated, “but don’t tell her that.”

Frowning lightly, Lilly nodded. After a moment she brightened slightly, and, her head not quite pointed in the right direction, asked, “So, Misha, how have you been? How has America treated you?”

“Pretty well, I’d say,” Akira remarked. Looking Misha over briefly, she added, “Nice to see you stickin’ to your natural hair.”

Misha made a face before grinning and casually flipping her long brown hair behind her, [“Having my hair short was nice, but I think I like it better this way. More to play with when I wanna dress up.”]

“You are rather fond of that,” Lynda observed. Pointing to her own lengthy raven strands, she added, “I just let mine sit there. Less hassle that way.”

Lilly adjusted her head so she was facing more towards Lynda’s general direction, “How has your time been here, Lynda? It must be quite the culture shock every time you visit Japan.”

“It’s gotten better,” Lynda replied, “The first couple of times were the worse, because I didn’t really have time to adapt. I think I got the hang of it now, though I need to work on my Japanese.”

“Your accent could use work as well,” Mr. Hakamichi grunted, “You’re messing up your ‘o’ sounds.”

Lynda sighed, “The Canadian and Michigan influence. Fortunately I haven’t picked up anything from New York.”

[“Me neither,”] Misha stated, [“One of the perks of being trained by translators~.”]

“It’s good that you’re both adjusting so well,” Lilly remarked, “cultural adjustment can be quite startling.”

Akira nodded, “But enough smalltalk, let’s get to the good stuff: how did you two meet?”

Lilly sighed lightly, but her expression and the way she tilted her head clearly showed her own interest.

Misha turned to Hisao and Shizune, [“You didn’t tell them?”]

Shizune grinned, [We felt it would be better coming from you two.]

Lynda turned to Misha, her expression clearly requesting that she tell the story.

Misha grinned and shook her head, [“You tell it so much better~!”]

Lynda sighed and nodded, conceding the barely hidden effort to get Lynda to talk more with the Satou siblings.

Turning back to the two, she was about to start her story, when Hideaki stepped into the room, pushing a small cart laden with an ornate tea pot, cups, saucers, condiment containers, a silver coffee pot, several mugs, and a tray of cookies.

Misha grinned as Hideaki carefully placed the tray next to the empty space by the sofa, [“That looks great, Hideaki~!”]

Hideaki smiled and gave a Western-style bow, “Let it not be said I was not trained to be a good host.”

“Yes, I’m so proud of my son’s ability to make a fine wife,” Mr. Hakamichi growled. Glancing at Lynda and Misha, he grunted, “No offense.”

“None taken,” Lynda stated.

Misha said nothing and frowned at Mr. Hakamichi when she was sure he wasn’t looking.

“It smells wonderful, Hideaki,” Lilly declared, “Thank you so much.”

[Don’t thank him until you’ve drunk it first,] Shizune remarked.

Hideaki glared at his sister, smirking lightly as no one bothered to translate the comment. After getting everyone’s beverage requests, he handed them out along with snacks, when requested. Once everyone had something to drink, Hideaki grabbed the lone can of soda on the platter, popped it open, and plopped himself down next to Akira.

Akira took a long drink from her coffee, grinning and patting Hideaki on the head, “Pretty good, Squirt. Now, story time.”

“Huh?” Hideaki asked.

“Akira enquired about how Lynda and Misha met,” Lilly replied, “Lynda was about to regale us with the story.”

“So no pressure,” Lynda quipped. Turning to Misha, she asked, “Think you can double translate?”

Misha gave Lynda her best “of course I can” glare before grinning and nodding, “no problem~!”

“Thanks,” turning back to the group, and trying to ignore the sharp gaze of Mr. Hakamichi and Shizune, Lynda started, “Well, it was early in my sophomore year, and I was visiting my stepbrother at New York University. We were in the basement, using some… repurposed space for some gaming. Misha came downstairs because she was looking for my stepbrother –Will- and wanted to talk to our friend Henry, who was Misha’s student mentor and American Sign Language tutor.”

Lynda paused to look at Misha, who was watching her from the corner of her eye while she translated into both Japanese and JSL. Lynda felt a pang of jealousy at Misha’s skill, but shoved it aside and continued.

“I won’t say it was love at first sight, but when I saw her eyes, she had this look in them. The look of a kid who knows there’s something wrong with them -or thinks there is, anyway- and doesn’t quite know what to do about it. I had that same look for a while, and it got my attention. I did some volunteer work at my own university at the time with the gay community, helping kids cope with family members who don’t quite get it. I was used to that look, and dealing with it –hell, I’m still dealing with it, in a way.

“Anyway, I saw her gaze, and she had these beautiful eyes, and gorgeous legs, and hair that at the time didn’t really know what it was doing-”

“You forgot my awesome rack,” Misha muttered under her breath.

Lynda rolled her eyes and continued, noticing as she did that Lilly was lightly smirking; Lynda should’ve guess she, at least, would’ve overheard the remark.

“I’ve always looked outside the box for my partners,” Lynda continued, “and Misha definitely got my interest. We were gonna watch a movie with Will and Henry, so I decided to take her to dinner first to get to know her better.”

“That was quite forward of you,” Lilly interjected.

Lynda nodded –naturally she could keep up with Lynda’s English, “I’m a direct kind of person. In hindsight, it probably wasn’t the best idea, but I won’t question it when the results are sitting right next to me.”

For emphasis, Lynda put her arm around Misha, reaching for her long hair and idly twirling it with her hand, while the other held her now empty cup of coffee.

“That’s pretty much it,” Lynda stated, “We met because my stepbrother knew her mentor and they liked to drink and watch movies during their off time.”

Watching Lynda fiddle with Misha’s hair, Akira smirked and remarked, “Sounds like you fell hard.”

“Can you blame me? She’s so blasted cute, and sexy, and smart, and caring, and… how old am I?”

“Love you too, Lycchan~,” Misha declared.

Lynda smiled and hid behind her coffee mug, pretending to sip even though it was empty.

“You do seem quite taken with each other,” Lilly remarked. Turning toward her sister and setting her blind gaze in her general direction, she added, “in any case, as we seem ready to depart, perhaps we should save the metaphorical third degree for later?”

“Hey, I just wanted to hear a sappy romance story and not have to pay for it,” Akira quipped, “but we definitely should head out. Uncle Jiggy, if you take Shizune, Hisao, and Lilly, I can take Misha, Lynda, and Hideaki.”

Mr. Hakamichi raised an eyebrow, “Do you think that arrangement wise?”

Lilly and Shizune frowned, and Lilly said, “I see no problems with it.”

[We can sit in a car together just fine, thank you,] Shizune snapped.

Akira grinned and stated, “Seems fine with them.”

Mr. Hakamichi nodded, “Very well then. Hideaki, collect the cups and put the cart in the kitchen, we can clean up later. Everyone get ready for some fishing.”

As Lynda hefted herself up, Misha hopped up and asked her, “Have you ever gone fishing before?”

Lynda nodded, “A few times with my Dad. He finds it relaxing.”

“Same here,” Akira remarked, “Nice to get outside and just chill once in a while.”

“I’d rather be inside myself,” Hideaki admitted.

Akira frowned, “Come on, where’s your enthusiasm?”

Carefully levering herself up, Lilly smirked and remarked, “Is not our team name ‘Team No Enthusiasm?’ Being enthusiastic about the event would undermine that.”

Akira groaned and hooked her arm around Lilly’s, guiding her out of the room. As Hideaki collected cups, mugs, and saucers, everyone else left the room and readied themselves for what would no doubt be an unusual afternoon of fishing.

+++
Next Chapter

I feel Lynda and Akira would get along very well. They’re both easygoing out-of-the-norm types who snub their nose at their upbringings while not quite being able to move beyond them.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

As Hisao and Lynda gathered there stuff,
their
Good to here.
Hear. I think that's a new one for you ;-)
Lilly said, “I see no problems with it.”
I would have been very surprised otherwise.
(Sorry) :oops:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Good to here.
Hear. I think that's a new one for you ;-)
First time for everything, I guess. Fixes made, and thanks.
Lilly said, “I see no problems with it.”
I would have been very surprised otherwise.
(Sorry) :oops:
The best part is that it's a multi-layered joke. Lilly's classy like that :)
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Not much to say about this chapter. It’s more a gathering of forces than anything truly interesting going on, though Lynda’s synopsis of meeting Misha was well done.
Hoitash wrote:they idled away the time until the sister’s arrival on their cell phones.
How many sisters are arriving?
Hoitash wrote:Akira grinned and pat Hideaki’s head, ruffling his hair as she said, “Hey, Squirt! Everything ready?”

Hideaki sighed and squirmed under his cousin’s touch, though Lynda could tell it was mainly for show. Although the nickname was clearly an old one; the two were basically the same height.
When did Akira pat Hideaki’s head?

And that last sentence is poorly punctuated. Perhaps: “The nickname was clearly an old one, as the two were basically the same height.”
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

griffon8 wrote:Not much to say about this chapter. It’s more a gathering of forces than anything truly interesting going on, though Lynda’s synopsis of meeting Misha was well done.
A storm is coming kinda thing, eh. Interesting....
Hoitash wrote:they idled away the time until the sister’s arrival on their cell phones.
Two, but I didn't like that sentence as was, so I altered it (and I think it's possessive, so the apostrophe should still be kosher.)
And that last sentence is poorly punctuated. Perhaps: “The nickname was clearly an old one, as the two were basically the same height.”
True, semi-colons should be used sparingly. To the editing machine!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Hoitash wrote:
griffon8 wrote:
Two, but I didn't like that sentence as was, so I altered it (and I think it's possessive, so the apostrophe should still be kosher.)
Yes, but because it's a possessive of a plural noun, the apostrophe should be after the "s", not before (so sisters' - or, now, Satous').
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

dewelar wrote:
Yes, but because it's a possessive of a plural noun, the apostrophe should be after the "s", not before (so sisters' - or, now, Satous').
As someone with an S at the end of their name, you'd think I'd know that.

But now I do, and knowing is half the battle! The other half is lasers. And thanks :)
Hoitash

Re: Meet the Hakamichis –A USM Summer Series Updated 9/1

Post by Hoitash »

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he’ll sit in a boat all day and drink beer.

I dislike fishing and being in a boat, so I just skip straight to the beer part.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Eleven: Insert Funny Fish Related Pun Here

The trip to the river passed quickly for Akira’s group, thanks to her enthusiastic driving. They were first to the river, and, since Mr. Hakamichi had all the equipment in his car, they spent the spare time picking a fishing spot and admiring the scenery.

The spot they chose had a short pier, with some nearby trees that while providing shade, were far enough off that people didn’t have to worry about getting their lines caught while casting. The river was gently moving, and if Lynda focused, she could just see some smaller fish taking advantage of the shade provided by the pier.

“Wonder if we could use them as bait,” Lynda muttered aloud.

“I have worms,” Hideaki declared, holding up a small container with some air holes punched into the top, “We just need the rods. And the cooler. And the other half of the family.”

“A few beers’d be nice, too,” Akira remarked, several paces away as she smoked.

“Seconded,” Lynda stated, “Where’s the nearest convenience store?”

Akira chuckled, “Don’t worry, I got us covered. Hideaki, there’s a six pack in the trunk, could you grab it for me?”

Hideaki nodded and shuffled up the mild river slope towards the car.

Lynda tried to ignore the glare Misha was giving her, but it proved too intense. Sighing, Lynda turned and looked down –the slope was making the two’s height difference seem greater than normal.

Misha raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“I don’t recall you being my mother,” Lynda remarked.

Misha grinned, “I could call her if you want –she gave me her number since we’re visiting later in the summer~.”

Lynda groaned, “Don’t remind me, and that was a low blow.”

“Maybe~,” Misha lilted. Frowning and lowering her arms, she added, “Just please, take it easy, okay?”

Lynda nodded, “I will. I spent years abusing my limits. I know them better than the back of my hand.”

Misha smirked and gently pecked Lynda on the cheek, “Thanks. And mother or not, I’m going to worry.”

“I know,” Lynda stated.

Misha gave Lynda another peck on the cheek, and headed to the pier. Lynda turned to face the car, where Hideaki was walking down the slope, a small cooler in one hand and a camera bag strapped to his side. Akira grinned, stamped her cigarette flat, picked up the filter, and went down the hill after Hideaki, joining him when he reached Lynda.

Hideaki opened the cooler, revealing a six pack of Sapporo and the container of worms. Akira pulled out two cans and handed one to Lynda. Lynda thanked her and turned to look for Misha, who was sitting on the pier, her shoes off and her bare feet dangling under her.

Akira followed Lynda’s gaze and grinned, “Not a bad idea.”

Akira headed for the pier, and, after a moment’s pause, Hideaki followed. Lynda went as well, sitting next to Misha and handing her the beer.

“Here, take half,” she offered.

“I can grab her one,” Akira said while she took off her own shoes.

“It’s okay,” Misha stated. Taking the beer, she popped open the exceptionally thick can and took a sip, “I prefer IPA’s anyway.”

“I’m more into stouts myself,” Lynda replied, “probably from growing up in cold weather. Generally prefer liquor, too, but that’s beside the point.”

Akira nodded, “I hear that. One of the nice things about Scotland is the beer.”

“They’re here,” Hideaki declared, and pointed up the slope.

The others looked to where he was pointing, watching as Mr. Hakamichi parked his SUV next to Akira’s much smaller, sleeker rental. Misha handed Lynda her half of the beer and hopped up to greet the others. Hideaki sighed and hefted himself up, following Misha as she headed for the car.

Glancing at each other, Lynda and Akira took a long swig from their beers, set them down on the pier, got up, and walked over to the others. Shizune was helping Lilly out of the car, while Hisao and Mr. Hakamichi were pulling rods and tackle from the trunk.

“Hey, you made it!” Akira called, waving as she approached.

“Figured you’d get here first,” Hisao called back, “Hope you didn’t wait too long.”

“Nah, you’re cool. You guys ready to fish?”

“We should be shortly,” Lilly replied, carefully signing into Shizune’s hand as she did.

Shizune grinned and used her free hand to say, [Now that we’re all here, we can sort ourselves into teams!]

Hideaki sighed, “Do we have to do teams every single time? Can’t we just commune with nature and take joy in the simple pleasure in eating something we have killed with our own metaphorical two hands?”

Shizune glowered, [You done?]

Hideaki nodded.

Shizune nodded once and started signing into Lilly’s palm. Lilly furrowed her brow, concentrating on what Shizune was saying. When she was done, Lilly opened her useless eyes and repeated what her cousin had told her.

“Now that we’re all here, we can break up into teams for the Annual Hakamichi/Satou Fishing Trip. Myself, Akira, Misha, and Lynda will be on one team, while Hideaki, Uncle Jigoro, Shizune, and Hisao will be on another.”

“So we’re Team Foreigners?” Lynda asked, “I’m… not sure how I feel about that.”

[You sure about these teams?] Misha asked.

Shizune nodded and signed into Lilly’s hand. When she was done, Lilly stated, “These teams were organized to take into account individual skill, familial ties, and the fact that having Uncle Jigoro and Hideaki on the same team balances her team’s overall skill level.”

Watching the two interact made for an interesting experience for Lynda, as the linguist in her compared their interaction to that of Misha or Hisao and Shizune. Whereas they could translate as Shizune signed, Lilly had to concentrate on what Shizune was saying, due to the more delicate nature of their method of communication. Lilly also seemed more willing to make it seem like she was speaking, rather than Misha or Hisao; perhaps because of the lag.

Reminding her brain to shut up and sit in the corner for a while, Lynda forced herself to focus on the task at hand. Namely, getting the rods ready for fishing. Mr. Hakamichi was helping to sort the rods, making sure everyone had one appropriate for their height, while Hideaki had procured gloves and a scalpel from the tackle box.

Lynda raised an eyebrow as he walked back to the pier, “Are you seriously wearing gloves to cut the worms?”

“More like I‘m seriously wearing gloves to protect me from the scalpel,” Hideaki replied, “If these things can withstand dorsal fins, I should be fine with the fancy shiv.”

“…You ain’t quite right,” Lynda declared.

“We’ve noticed,” Mr. Hakamichi remarked.

Lynda suppressed a startled jump; she hadn’t heard or seen him walking over to hand her a fishing pole. A quick glance confirmed that he was the only one with a pole, and everyone else had rods.

Lynda accepted the pole and bowed, “Thank you.”

Mr. Hakamichi grunted and maybe, just maybe, formed part of his face into something that might have been resembling an impressed smirk.

“So we ready to fish yet?” Akira asked, “I’m hungry.”

“We ate lunch on the plane,” Lilly reminded her.

“That was then, this is now,” Akira declared.

Lynda grinned, “I like the way you think.”

[No one start until everyone has a worm!] Shizune stated.

“Shicchan says not to start until all our hooks are baited~,” Misha translated.

[And alternate pier usage!] Shizune added, [Team Foreign can go first because they were here first, but we’ll switch in an hour.]

Hisao translated that part, and started looking along the shore for a good spot where they could toss their lines and not have a swarm of smaller fish nibble their bait away. While he searched, Hideaki carefully prepared the bait.

“Think you can bait the hooks with those gloves on?” Lynda asked.

Hideaki nodded, “Hasn’t been a problem before. Although it might help if you baited Lilly’s hook for her.”

“I would appreciate that,” Lilly stated.

“No problem,” Lynda stated.

Lynda baited Lilly’s hook and then her own. Hisao called out that he found a good spot; flat enough that they could sit or stand comfortably, water deep enough they could cast properly, no overhanging trees, and it was close enough to the pier they could still sign to each other.

Once everyone’s hooks were baited, the fishing began. Akira, Lilly, Misha, and Lynda took their spots at the pier, cast their lines, and waited.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

“I know it’s supposed to be relaxing an all,” Lynda said a little while later, “but it is sort of galling being outsmarted by something that doesn’t even have lungs.”

“It is a timeless tale of man against nature,” Hideaki called from the shore, “Of mankind’s constant struggle to assert dominion over the land and all that dwells within it.”

“All your allegorical nonsense is making me ill,” Mr. Hakamichi grunted, “Akira, throw me a beer!”

“On it! Someone tell Shizune to duck, because these babies can cause concussions if they hit you.”

“That happened at Henry’s prom, actually,” Lynda stated.

The fishing continued. The fish were certainly curious, nibbling on the bait and making the rods flicker briefly before going still. They never had any weight on them, though, and a couple of experimental reel-ins proved a need to re-bait several hooks.

“Hmm,” Lynda examined her freshly baited hook near the end of the first hour, “Maybe if I adjust the size of the ball bearing….”

“You’re putting too much thought into it,” Akira said, her jacket in a crumpled pile behind her as she idly moved her line a bit, “Just fish. Become one with your inner old man, as Hideaki might say.”

“That does sound like something I’d say,” Hideaki called.

Lynda nodded and tossed her line back in. At the same time, Akira’s started to twitch. Akira raised an eyebrow as the twitch became a jerk, and outright grinned when the line started moving.

“Now we’re talkin’! I think I got one!”

“Either that or the boot’s possessed,” Hideaki quipped.

Akira narrowed her eyes and grit her teeth, pulling, twisting, and jerking the rod as she worked to furiously reel in her catch. The fish fought valiantly, making Akira pay for every inch of line returned, but Akira kept at it, and soon, the fish broke above the water, flopping and flapping madly as it now suffered the triple indignity of suffocating, being impaled on a hook, and having missed dinner.

“Gotcha!” Akira exulted, “Who’s your Daddy, Fish?”

The fish, whether from lack of vocal chords or the desperate gasping for water, did not respond.

While Akira struggled to claim her prize, Hideaki had moved over to take a picture. Akira stood up and held the fish next to her, grinning like she had nabbed a Guinness-worthy sturgeon. When he had taken the picture Akira tossed it into her team’s prepared cooler, and pulled a victory beer from the smaller cooler before sitting down.

“To victory!” Akira cheered, popping the can and taking a swig.

“Very good,” Lilly congratulated, “Was it a large fish?”

“Good enough to fillet,” Hideaki replied.

Akira finished her swig and handed the can to Lilly, “Here, Lils, have a sip.”

“Well…” Lilly balked, “I’m not much of a beer person, but we did get first blood, as the saying goes, so…”

“That’s the spirit~!” Misha cheered, “Thanks for taking a pic, Hideaki~!”

Hideaki bowed and shuffled back to his group.

After taking a careful sip, Lilly gingerly handed the large can over to Misha, who drank most of the remaining beer before handing it over to Lynda to finish.

“Wonder how I’m gonna have him cook it,” Akira mused, “maybe grilled? Or a hot-pot? Ooh, teriyaki style on a stick! Or deep fried! Damn, now I’m hungry.”

“Catch more fish, then,” Lynda countered.

Akira nodded, “Good call.”

Shortly after Akira’s catch, the two teams switched places. With no nearby trees to lean on, Lynda and Akira opted for standing, while Lilly sat and Misha kneeled, rocking lightly while she waited. The rocking caused her line to move slightly, and perhaps that was why she was next to catch a fish.

“Nice one!” Lynda declared.

“Thanks!” Misha said, “Hideaki, think you can make it Cajun style?”

Hideaki, having arrived to take another picture, nodded, “Shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Isn’t Cajun food rather spicy?” Lilly asked.

“I like spicy food every now and then,” Misha stated.

As the afternoon wore on, more fish were caught, but Mr. Hakamichi had had no luck. He seemed to take the lack of catches as a personal affront, and Lynda wondered if the local River Spirit were to suddenly appear, if he’d challenge it to a duel on general principle.

“They’re mocking me,” Mr. Hakamichi growled, “How dare they mock me, Jigoro Hakamichi! I’ll show them who’s the evolved life form! Hideaki, do you have any firecrackers?”

“I do not make it a practice to carry explosives with me,” Hideaki replied.

“Go to the car and get my harpoon!”

“Uncle Jigoro,” Lilly called from the pier, “Perhaps you shouldn’t take this so seriously? Fishing is supposed to be relaxing, after all.”

“Hard to relax when the fish wise up,” Lynda remarked, “Sometimes I think my Dad would shoot them if he could.”

Mr. Hakamichi snorted, “Why is it that you American’s solution to every problem involves a gun?”

Lynda shrugged, “You have to admit, you want a harpoon gun right about now.”

Mr. Hakamichi looked about to bark something, but started looking thoughtful. He was so deep in thought he almost missed his line trying swim away from him.

“Huh?” he grunted when he noticed his pole jerking, “HAH! That’s more like it!”

Mr. Hakamichi grinned as he reeled in his line, the fish on the other end no match for his determination and freakish upper body strength.

“Not bad, Dad,” Hideaki declared before taking a picture.

“That might be the last one for the day,” Hisao said, glancing at the sun and adding, “Looks about time to pack it in.”

Hideaki glanced at his watch, “Yeah, I’m gonna need time to cook ‘em, after all. Congrats, Dad, you got the last fish of the day.”

Mr. Hakamichi tossed the fish into the cooler, looking both pleased and defeated, like he had one a glorious victory, but knew that he could have, if he had pushed just a bit harder, won the war, “It’ll do, I suppose. Everyone pack it up, we’re heading back.”

Misha turned to Lynda while she reeled in her line, “Did you have fun, Lycchan~?”

Lynda smiled and nodded, “Yeah, I did. It was nice to get out and relax for a while.”

“Even us city types need to be out in the wild every now and then,” Akira declared, “Especially if a free meal’s involved!”

+++
Next Chapter

I like pithy endings, so sue me.

It’s fishing. It’s hard to make exciting, but I did my best.

Oh, Happy Labor Day, Labor Day celebrants. And I guess a belated May Day to those who don’t. I shall celebrate this holiday by drinking, watching Black Lagoon, and playing Bulletstorm.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

“I’m more into stouts myself,” Lynda replied, “probably from growing up in cold weather. Generally prefer liquor, too, but that’s beside the point.”

Lynda nodded, “I hear that. One of the nice things about Scotland is the beer.”
Just the prospect of beer gets her talking to herself?
The fish, weather from lack of vocal chords or the desperate gasping for water, did not respond.
I am trying and failing to imagine how you tell the weather from the lack of vocal chords on a fish.
Last edited by Vempele on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Vempele wrote:
Lynda nodded, “I hear that. One of the nice things about Scotland is the beer.”
Just the prospect of beer gets her talking to herself?
Oops, need to fix those. Thanks for catching 'em.
The fish, weather from lack of vocal chords or the desperate gasping for water, did not respond.
I am trying and failing to imagine how you tell the weather from the lack of vocal chords on a fish.
Well, sometimes the local Spirits take mortal forms to became reacquainted with their domains. Mostly to participate in spawn season.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

It was exciting enough. I liked it.
Hoitash wrote:He was ended up so deep in thought he almost missed his line trying swim away from him.
You seem to have an extra verb here.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing