Yamaku Book Club (20220124 Dish Washing)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

dewelar

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Now Reading: Mendācium)

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
dewelar wrote: Unfortunately, beyond the entry-level nature of the writing, the premise that Miki so easily agreed to run with Emi despite the fact that in the VN itself Emi was upset that nobody on the track team was willing to run with her in the mornings kind of bugged me. When you have to contradict canon just to set up your story, you really haven't thought things through.
I'm not sure I remember the context clearly, but that could be something like Misha's "I get dizzy on stairs": something to guilt Hisao into running with her.
Maybe, but I don't think so. It happens during "Exercise" -- Emi is surprised when Hisao shows up the second day, and she says something along the lines of "Not many people show up a second time -- like the rest of the track team". It doesn't come off as being calculated, but it's possible that it could be.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Katawa Shoujo 1.1, English:
In [i]Use-Mention Distinction[/i], Hideaki wrote:Family issues. Our fathers are brothers, and do not like each other.
Or, French:
In [i]Avec Mention Distinction[/i], Hideaki wrote:Problèmes de familie. Nos pères sont frères et ne s'apprécient pas.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Ah, okay, I was thinking about the scene at the beginning of Lilly's Act 2.
Yes, this will probably be fixed in the next release.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to read scene two. That writing was functional. It didn't have enough commas, but it wasn't broken. That's about the only nice thing I can say about it. It's (so far) a very bland story where bland characters interact. Blandly.

If I had to pick something in particular, it's those moments when the writer points out the incredibly obvious, like 'a slight exaggeration'. Well, yeah, we the readers know that Hisao didn'tliterally search for Emi all day. That's a common phrase. Why was this pointed out? Somehow, it just summarizes what I don't like about this story; it accomplishes nothing.

That being said, just writing coherently is a victory of sorts, since he's already ahead of the typical fan fiction crowd. It's not BAD. It's just.... there.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
brythain

Post by brythain »

The comments have been more interesting than the original text. I do wish that more work had been put into it, but at the same time—to what end? Emi x Miki is very hard to justify contextually. I don't know if 'more work' could have saved it, in that sense.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Blank Mage

Post by Blank Mage »

I think its time we start entertaining the idea that Sea isn't coming back anytime soon. Someone else want to make a suggestion for now?
And we're back.
-----------
"I think you just did."
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

How about Fractal Butterfly?
It's quite short, so you can start right away.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Mirage_GSM wrote:How about Fractal Butterfly?
It's quite short, so you can start right away.
It's a very delicate piece. Elegantly metaphysical. I've always liked it because it condenses so many things into a simple form. Of course, some might say it's too sweet.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
d2r

Post by d2r »

I liked it too. It could have been made a tad more clear who "she" was, since I was a bit confused at the end. I mean, I got the general outline of the plot, but it was mysterious in the confusing sense rather than the good one. Still, a good piece overall: entertaining & doesn't overstay its welcome.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
Blank Mage

Post by Blank Mage »

Well written, packs some strong feels without being overly dark, and it gets right to the point. I liked it.
And we're back.
-----------
"I think you just did."
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Yikes, that was....good. Good, pretty feelsy. I love the idea this presents though. It's a hell of a decision to make, but I'd like to think I'd make the same one given the circumstances. Personally, I thought it was gonna be an AU piece, with Emi's father going through life without Emi. I like the direction it went, though.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

I'd been avoiding reading this due to my own fears of where it might go, but obviously those were misplaced. The fact that there are currently a thousand thoughts spinning in my head about the implications of almost every part of the story...I don't think any other KS story I've read has had me thinking with that kind of depth. "Less is more" indeed. An excellent piece!
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

This is a common trait for many of themocaw's stories...
@brythain:
"sweet" is among the last adjectives I'd have used to describe this story.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Mirage_GSM wrote:This is a common trait for many of themocaw's stories...
@brythain:
"sweet" is among the last adjectives I'd have used to describe this story.
Oh dear, maybe I -am- worse than Hitler after all. 8)
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

"It's just one of those things. It's not really a big deal, in the end."
It seems to be a common theme that the real heros tend to downplay their accomplishments, because they think whatever it is that they had done is what any responsible person would have done in their place. I think Mister Ibarazaki would deny being a hero, but just a responsible father. This is the thought that this work leaves in my mind, at any rate.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.