Katawa Shoujo: Going in blind. [First fic ever]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Katawa Shoujo: Going in blind. [First fic ever]

Post by Silentcook »

No, you still have quite a few wrong mid-line breaks. The forum software handles formatting according to the viewer's screen size/resolution, so it's pointless and actually damaging to try and adjust mid-line breaks to look good on one's own screen since they'll look crap on everyone else's.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

NotSoClassy

Post by NotSoClassy »

Doing it in Small font size seems to help.... it also makes it look kinda neat.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Reducing the font size to avoid line breaks is like pouring paint over your manuscript to hide spelling mistakes.
It kind of works, but it's not really the optimal solution...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
NotSoClassy

Post by NotSoClassy »

but it hides the spelling mistakes too :)

Truth is, I don't know how to deal with that :S
NotSoClassy

Post by NotSoClassy »

Will try to trim it now.
(certainly an annoying job, but I think i did it...)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

NotSoClassy wrote:Will try to trim it now.
Still looks pretty ugly, actually. Are you using a different editing program for this chapter? Your previous ones didn't have nearly this sort of problem.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Don't use line breaks unless you're starting a new paragraph.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
NotSoClassy

Post by NotSoClassy »

dewelar wrote:
Still looks pretty ugly, actually. Are you using a different editing program for this chapter? Your previous ones didn't have nearly this sort of problem.

They did have this sort of problem, but I allways fixed it somehow on the spot. I dont use any editing programs for it... will try harder...

Come to think of it, it is indeed because of my unhealthy obsession with line breaks (and lack of conpetence in this sort of thing, actually) . I restructured the whole thing and it should be kinda sorta fine now.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

NotSoClassy wrote:
dewelar wrote:

They did have this sort of problem, but I allways fixed it somehow on the spot. I dont use any editing programs for it... will try harder...

Come to think of it, it is indeed because of my unhealthy obsession with line breaks (and lack of conpetence in this sort of thing, actually) . I restructured the whole thing and it should be kinda sorta fine now.
*nods* Looks much better now. I learned very quickly that I could not compose anything of any length directly on the board and still have it turn out to my liking, so I highly suggest using a separate text editor.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I do my composition in AppleWorks (Apple II, not Mac) and Google Drive, typically.

The Apple II is when I'm doing things during downtime at work, Google Drive at home (because I can send a link to a Google Drive document to someone who's collaborating with me, and they can easily comment on it).

I actually tried doing it on a typewriter, but I use editing functionality too much.

Also, using a word processor is a good way to get word counts, if you're targeting a certain length.
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

bhtooefr wrote:I do my composition in AppleWorks (Apple II, not Mac) and Google Drive, typically.

The Apple II is when I'm doing things during downtime at work, Google Drive at home (because I can send a link to a Google Drive document to someone who's collaborating with me, and they can easily comment on it).

I actually tried doing it on a typewriter, but I use editing functionality too much.

Also, using a word processor is a good way to get word counts, if you're targeting a certain length.
OG nerd status, right here.
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

It looks pretty good now format wise. And as far as old text editors go, I was always partial to "vi" myself...

On windows platforms, I've used a number of ASCII text editors over the years, and I found Ultraedit to be best feature wise. It's not freeware, but if you work with text files much (I do constantly), it is worth the price.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

For straight ASCII text editing, I use Notepad++ on Windows, TextWrangler on OS X, and nano on most other *nix platforms.

I can use vi if I have to, but usually I only do that for long enough to get pico/nano installed. (Or, on my AIX box, I just use dtpad, it needs CDE running anyway for the mainframe I/O emulation software.)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Please don't hijack someone else's story thread with word processor comparisons.

But hey, there's a fresh thread idea.... :wink:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

AnathRaema

Post by AnathRaema »

NotSoClassy wrote:
AnathRaema wrote:The curse of Miki.
I'm in fear for my life now....what have I done?
Well, you'll be fine if you don't do anything stupid. I don't care either way, I like Miki. Even if it goes south, I'll still read every post.
I write poetry sometimes. It's pretty bad. I should work on that at one point.