Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Conclusion Update!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 7/10

Post by Hoitash »

octovaitor wrote:Great couple of chapters.
Thanks, glad you liked it :).
I thought the conversation between Emi and Hanako was oddly casual considering the two barely know each other, but whatever.
Well they did talk a bit back at Yamaku, and in my experience insomnia does strange things to people. It is true, though, that they probably don't actually know each other that well; their friendship is rather casual, as Emi's relationships tend to be.
The karaoke scene was positively delightful; is it wrong that I imagined Kenji picking a Tenacious D song, to the horror of all the patrons?
That would not have been out of the realm of possibility, really. This is motherfuckin' Kenji we're talking about :wink:.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Is it wrong that I imagined Kenji picking a Tenacious D song, to the horror of all the patrons?
Most karaoke places in Japan have private rooms for small groups, so there were no other patrons present.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
octovaitor

Post by octovaitor »

I was more implying that the other members of the group wouldn't like it. Something like:

*music starts*
Kenji: This is a song for the ladies, but fellas, listen closely...
Hanako: What is he...
Emi: Is that a love song?
Hisao: No, I think that's...
Kenji: You don't always have to fuck her hard...
Hisao: Oh shit!
Lilly: I don't think I'm familiar with this one...
Well, you can take me for a little while
You can take me, you can make me smile in the end.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

turning in his voucher and leaving a cash tip
Okay, I have a bone to pick with Mirage_GSM. When I wrote a scene in which a tip was left, you pounced on me like a rabid fox, but Hoitash does it and nothing? *shifty eyes* What kind of game are you playing?
Hanako kept looking at me in her chair next to me, smiling and blushing lightly, which meant she had picked a particularly flirty song.
This sentence just reads weirdly. I tried to rework it: Hanako sat in the chair beside mine, and kept looking at me while blushing lightly, which probably meant she had picked a particularly flirtatious song.
I wanted to try my damndest to make Hanako feel the same way about me as I did about here when she sang.
There's a problem right about here involving an errant extra letter.
There performance made me want to see the movie with Hanako
Their* Ugh! *bitch-slaps Hoitash*
She stiffly trudged herself up to the staging area, and stiffly grabbed a microphone and set up the machine.
try 'tentatively' instead of that first 'stiffly'. Also, 'then' might be more appropriate than 'and' after the comma.
Hanako pulled it off, of course. She hadn’t always been able to, but now her singing was a sight to behold as much as a sound.
Should be 'a sound to be heard.' for it to be a proper comparison statement.

Okay, so I'm a little behind on my reading. Dental pain will do that. For what it's worth, I knew none of the songs selected for their karaoke night out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hisao making more out of the situation than he ought fits right into his adolescent mindset from the VN, and it's good to see that showing up while he's still at the halfway point between arrhythmic youth and arrhythmic hero--though it seems the only thing arrhythmic about this chapter is Emi's singing.

ba dum tiss
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:
turning in his voucher and leaving a cash tip
Okay, I have a bone to pick with Mirage_GSM. When I wrote a scene in which a tip was left, you pounced on me like a rabid fox, but Hoitash does it and nothing? *shifty eyes* What kind of game are you playing?
Woops, I can't believe I forgot that.
Various edits and suggestions.
Thanks for those, they're tended to now.
There performance made me want to see the movie with Hanako
Their* Ugh! *bitch-slaps Hoitash*
...I'm not sure I needed that :).
Okay, so I'm a little behind on my reading. Dental pain will do that. For what it's worth, I knew none of the songs selected for their karaoke night out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hisao making more out of the situation than he ought fits right into his adolescent mindset from the VN, and it's good to see that showing up while he's still at the halfway point between arrhythmic youth and arrhythmic hero--though it seems the only thing arrhythmic about this chapter is Emi's singing.

ba dum tiss
It bodes well for me that you approve of Hisao's mindset. Thanks again for the edits, and for reading (and good luck at the Dentist.)
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
RedRover

Post by RedRover »

Really liking this so far, keep up the good work :D

Also, sorry for the extremely generic comment.
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius
Quotes are fun.
I have a oneshot about little ol' Suzu. Read it! Or don't.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

RedRover wrote:Really liking this so far, keep up the good work :D

Also, sorry for the extremely generic comment.
Thanks for reading, glad you liked it. See, nothing to worry about, because my response was generic, too. It's the thought that counts :).
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I frowned in thought; she had a point, and it was better to go in with a plan then without.
than* /sigh

Okay, so I'm all caught up again--I just read the mini-chapter with Hanako and Emi. The issue with Emi and Hanako becoming friends, for me, involved their logistical separation at the school. Their personalities and such are primed for a friendship, but they just never ended up in a room together--much like how Aiko simply never crosses paths with Lilly. Taking them out of that context and introducing a situation where they have reason to meet, like this road trip, removes that problem.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:
I frowned in thought; she had a point, and it was better to go in with a plan then without.
than* /sigh
In my defense, I am getting better at catching those, and recognizing when to use the proper word. also, thanks for the edit :).
Okay, so I'm all caught up again--I just read the mini-chapter with Hanako and Emi. The issue with Emi and Hanako becoming friends, for me, involved their logistical separation at the school. Their personalities and such are primed for a friendship, but they just never ended up in a room together--much like how Aiko simply never crosses paths with Lilly. Taking them out of that context and introducing a situation where they have reason to meet, like this road trip, removes that problem.
Good point, and that's one that a few of the older Hanako continuation fics addressed.

Good thing you're caught up, though; just in time for me to ready the next update :).
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

“These things happen.” –Emi Ibarazaki (attributed)

Previous Chapter

Chapter Twelve (Hisao): In the Name of Love

At least some of us managed to sleep through the night. After finishing in the bathroom for the morning, I decided to shuffle down to the ground floor and wait for everyone else to group together for breakfast. Kenji would be along once he had reviewed the plan for the day, so I grabbed an inside table at the restaurant near a far corner and ordered some coffee to kill the time. I expected Kenji to be the first one to join me, but it was actually Kwan.

The shirt he was wearing this time had the same design as the last one, except the colors were reversed, so the flames were blue and the shirt itself green. When he walked into the restaurant, he paused to look around. When he saw me he waved, spoke to the hostess, and headed over to the table I had claimed.

“Hey,” he said, “you the first one here?”

I nodded, “Kenji’s still planning, and the girls will probably take a bit. Lilly’s not what you call a morning person, and Hanako won’t leave without her. She takes her guide duties very seriously.”

“I noticed,” Kwan said, taking a seat across from me. A waitress in a bistro style outfit placed a cup of coffee at his spot and left with a bow. Taking a sip from his coffee, he added, “Emi’ll probably be down in a bit, once she’s checked the cat.”

I nodded and silently sipped my coffee, which was better than the stuff in the hotel room, and was nice and strong to boot. After a few seconds, Kwan looked up from his coffee, “about Emi… you knew her from high school, right?”

I nodded, “most of senior year –I was a transfer student.”

Kwan nodded, “right, Emi got you running, or something?”

I nodded again, “Figured I’d try and stick around a little longer, now that I had someone in my life worth living for.”

Kwan raised an eyebrow, and it slowly occurred to me Emi hadn’t told him about my arrhythmia. I figured she had because she had clearly informed him about Hanako and Lilly, but guess she felt my condition was mine to reveal. Perhaps because it was easier to hide. So I told him a rough outline of my condition, to which he slowly nodded in understanding.

“That makes sense,” he said when I had finished explaining.

He spent a few moments sipping his coffee, his eyes looking distant and wandering. I was getting the idea he wanted to say something, but wasn’t sure how to phrase it.

“Sen for your thoughts?” I asked, hoping to prod him along before someone showed up to derail the conversation.

Kwan sighed and nodded again. Looking at me with a weary look of desperation, he stated, “its Emi. She’s been getting nightmares lately, more so then normal. She’s started hurling herself around the track, nearly tripping over herself sometimes. In bed, she’s…”

“I think I get the idea,” I stated, raising a hand to cut him off before he got graphic, “you think something’s bothering her?”

“I know something’s bothering her,” he nearly snapped, startling me with his conviction, “I’m just not sure what the fuck it could be…”

My weary mind slowly kicked into gear, taking the bits of information sorting them into something resembling coherent data. Once I had done that, I was able to start connecting the dots, especially when I remembered that it was the end of July. When that bit of information flickered into place, I felt my eyes widen in realization.

Kwan noticed this, and, likely realizing I knew more than I had previously let on. With a look of desperation still flickering in his eyes, he leaned forward and asked, “Do you know anything about how she lost her legs?”

I repressed a sigh with difficulty. I actually knew a great deal about the accident, but not because Emi had told me. Kenji, back when he thought she was an assassin of the feminist conspiracy, had gone digging for info about her. Besides good practice for his later PI career, it had revealed a great deal about her past, which for some idiotic reason he had shared with me.

Finding the information hadn’t been hard, really, once you knew where to look –which of course Kenji did. Connecting the dots from the raw data had been rather easy, unfortunately. We both knew not to say anything, of course, but it had been hard. Emi made so much more sense after I knew what had happened. I wanted to help her, too, of course, but Emi’s not the type to be easily helped. Fortunately she and Hanako started hanging out, and I figured Hanako’s calming demeanor might help ease Emi’s pain. In any case, she had run off –literally- after high school, so there wasn’t a whole hell of a lot I could do, anyway.

Stalling for time, I asked Kwan, “What makes you think that’s related?”

Kwan sighed and half rolled his eyes, pausing partway through the act; whether from fatigue or politeness I couldn’t say, “There’s clearly some past trauma affecting her –I know the signs of PTSD; my grandfather was at the Pusan Perimeter- but every time I even think of bringing it up, Emi clams up, changes the subject, or fucks me until I pass out.”

I cleared my throat and drank my coffee, trying to keep various lewd images from entering my mind. I didn’t know what to say, so I settled for setting my coffee down and sighing.

Kwan glared at me, making it hard to look at him as he tried to probe me for answers, “you know something, don’t you?”

I sighed again, slowly raising my head to look him straight on, “yes and no. Yes, I know what happened. No, I don’t know in a way that would allow me to tell you. As it is, you could probably count the number of people who know what happened on one hand, and none of them can tell you, except Emi herself –Emi’ll have made sure of that, I bet.”

Kwan groaned and leaned back into his chair, “I was afraid of that. I thought about asking her mother, but was afraid Emi might find out.”

“She would,” I stated, “like I said, the only one who can tell you what happened is Emi, and she’ll do that when she’s good and ready.”

“Well, can you at least tell me if the accident involved her father? I already know it’s a trigger for her, and I know you do, too; I noticed that ‘apple skin’ trick you pulled,” Kwan said with a weary smirk, “thanks for that, by the way; I got a little caught up in the moment, then.”

I gave a stiff nod as I tried to think of what to say. Confirming his question might cause him to do something rash, but he already had suspicions, so answering a simple yes or no question, especially one so vague, might not be too harmful.

“…Yes,” I declared, “The accident involved her father. It also occurred in early August.”

“Thank you,” Kwan breathed, draining his coffee and sighing, “That confirms a lot, actually. Now the big question is, what the hell do I do next?”

I shrugged, “same thing you’ve been doing; keep quiet and be supportive. As long as you’re there for her, she’ll be fine. Or as fine as she can be, at least.”

“That’s it?” Kwan asked, nodding in thanks to the waitress as she refilled our coffees.

“It’s more than you think,” I declared, “she gets like this every year –I remember it from high school, though I just chalked it up to exams at the time. She’s had to go through it alone for the most part, so just having someone with her should help.”

“What if she pushes me away?” Kwan asked, “And insists on doing it alone?”

I shrugged, “That’s up to you two; you have to decide if you can live with the ignorance of what happened, and if you can be stubborn enough to fight her own stubbornness.”

“So I have to be strong for her,” Kwan grunted with a snort, “there’s an irony.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant, but before I could follow it up Kenji appeared behind Kwan, like some sort of brown suited, legally blind ninja with a scarf.

“Today’s the day!” he declared, taking a seat next to me while also pulling a stack of papers from his inside jacket pocket.

“You are really into this,” Kwan observed.

“I take my duties as wingman very seriously,” Kenji declared, glancing at me as he added, “it’s the best way to ensure the infiltrators aren’t trying to corrupt my friends and spread their insipid influence deeper into the university. The business and gender studies departments have already fallen, and I will not let the writing and science departments meet the same fate!”

Kenji slammed his fist on the table for emphasis, making the cups clatter and startling several patrons. Kwan raised an eyebrow and glanced at me. I nodded slightly, confirming that yes, Kenji was insane.

“Thanks,” I said to Kenji, “last night was a huge hit, and I couldn’t have pulled it off without you.”

Kenji grinned, “Yeah, that’s true. So, you gonna ask her to marry you now, or later?”

I blinked, “huh?”

Kenji sighed and rolled his eyes, pausing to order some coffee from the waitress before responding, “Please, you said you wanted to make sure you’re relationship was on equal footing and moving forward. If last night was a success, it must be. Ergo, you gonna ask her sooner or later?”

“Later,” I grunted, “can we move on?”
Last edited by Hoitash on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

I jerked my head towards the entrance, as the girls had entered. Emi was in the front as usual, Hanako carefully guiding Lilly, who still looked like death walking, just with better hair. Hanako was keeping her gaze fixed on the floor, as the restaurant was starting to get crowded. It was Emi who saw us. When she did, she waved energetically and grabbed Hanako to drag her, and by extension, Lilly, toward our table, all three of them nearly falling on their faces in Emi’s dash toward us.

“We’re here!” Emi announced when they had managed to reach the table, “Miki’s fine, by the way. When do we go shopping?”

“I’d imagine sometime after we eat,” I stated, “right, Kenji?”

Kenji nodded and slapped the sheets of paper onto the table, “ladies, gentlemen, Ibarazaki, today is quite possibly the most pivotal day of the entire summer break. What we do today could have-”

“Cut the bullshit and get to the point,” Emi snapped.

Kenji glared at her left ear before grunting in acknowledgement, “fine, be that way. I come up with a brilliant rousing speech, and you just wanna piss on it like a sturge caught in a glass jar! Fine!”

Kenji handed out the sheets to each of us. I examined mine while the waitress asked for drink orders. It was a simple itinerary, really, although the part for the afternoon shopping had been placed in bold with a note that stated “Delay until girls are done.”

Kenji sipped his coffee, cleared his throat, and began explaining, “It’s actually pretty straight forward. We eat, we shop, we rest, we rock, we drink, we sleep, we leave.”

“Huh,” Emi grunted, examining the sheet, “that is simple. So what’re those?”

Emi pointed to another stack of papers Kenji was holding, which looked like maps.

Kenji grinned and started handing them out, “You girls wanted to buy clothes for the concert, right?”

“Yeah,” Emi responded.

“Well, those merch booths are gonna be crowded and overpriced,” Kenji explained, “I managed to find a secondhand music store further north that stocks clothes for that band year round.”

“That’s great!” Emi exclaimed, her earlier anger with Kenji forgotten, or at least held at bay by the prospect of shopping, “but what about you guys?”

“What about us?” I asked, “we were just gonna walk around a bit, see the sights as it were.”

Emi pouted, “That’s no good! You guys gotta dress up, too- and I don’t mean a sweater vest.”

I raised an eyebrow and glanced at Hanako and Lilly. They were quietly sipping their tea, so either that was Emi’s idea, or the two quieter women had elected the energizer bunny to be the Mouth of Rock ‘N Roll.

“I thought of that,” Kenji interjected, “you may have noticed the itineraries vary by gender. That is because while the women are shopping for clothing, we guys will be pursuing manly pursuits, before we must succumb to the siren call of getting dressed up to impress our womenfolk. Well, they are; I intend to scope out the music store for subversive influences, like anything related to Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber.”

Kwan blinked in confusion and glanced at me, and I once again nodded to silently state that yes, Kenji was insane. Mostly harmless, but insane. We paused a moment to place our breakfast orders, then resumed the conversation.

“In that case,” Lilly spoke up, “perhaps one of us should text or call when we’ve finished shopping?”

“That’d work,” Kenji stated, “and remember, the itineraries include time for getting ready, so don’t dawdle too much.”

Emi glanced at her sheet and snapped, “There’s no way I can get ready that quickly! I was gonna dye my hair in streaks!”

My eyes lit up and I coughed to get everyone’s attention, “that reminds me, Misha’s flown in from California for the break. She’s going to the concert and said she’d look for us during intermission. Oh, and she wants to hang out afterwards, too.”

“WHAT!?” Kenji screamed, startling several birds and cicada swarms in the area, as well as scaring the crap out of the other patrons, “you invited that Student Council bitch’s lackey to hang out with us?!”

I heard the clink of drinkware and we all turned to face Lilly, who I hadn’t seen more upset since she had sparred with Shizune over the festival paperwork, “Excuse me, but I would appreciate it if you would not refer to my cousin as a bitch. Only Misha and I may do that.”

The joke got a smirk out of me and Emi, but Hanako looked upset. She never was good with confrontation, and she had slumped into her seat and started staring at her tea. Probably in the hopes she could dive in and come back up when the dust had settled. Kwan just looked confused, while Lilly still looked pissed, but less obviously so as she started to collect herself.

I sighed and looked at Kenji, “she has a point; Shizune may be a bitch, but she has a good heart.”

“That wasn’t exactly my point,” Lilly chided, her head turned to glare at my general direction.

I avoided glancing at her clouded eyes –being glared at by a blind person can be really unsettling- and continued trying to mollify Kenji, “and Misha’s not a lackey, she’s a certified JSL interpreter, and well on her way to being one in American Sign Language, as well. Hell, she even taught me a few tricks with blind-deaf sign, which I taught you. So please be civil to her when she finds us?”

Kenji humphed and tapped his papers, thinking the matter over. He glanced at a still irked Lilly, an uneasy Hanako, and my stern visage. Sighing in defeat, he nodded, “fine, I can be civil to Mikado,” shifting to face Lilly, he added, “and I apologize for referring to Hakamichi-san as a bitch, Satou-san.”

Lilly sighed and gave a weary smile, “apology accepted, Kenji. Speaking of Shizune, is she not in the area?”

A deaf woman going to a concert may sound like a dumb concept, but it was odd that Misha hadn’t brought her up, “Misha hasn’t said anything about her,” I responded.

“I th-think,” Hanako interjected, looking up furtively from her tea, “Misha and Sh-Shizune are h-having a f-fight.”

Lilly made a thoughtful noise and sipped her tea, “I believe you are right. The last time we conversed with each other, she seemed upset about Misha. I didn’t ask for specifics, however.”

Lilly and Shizune both new deaf-blind sign language, obviously. Lilly had taught Kenji, who felt a form of silent communication would be a valuable asset, so he had taught me. Which meant I could converse with Shizune without needing Misha as an interpreter, albeit in a somewhat odd way. As a result I never bothered to learn sign language. Misha had taught Hanako a few things, though.

“Anyway,” I said, trying to get things back onto Kenji’s crazy train, “sounds like we just need to split up after we finish breakfast and meet back here after lunch.”

“Right,” Kenji declared, back on track at last, “there are a few shops on the way I can check out; I need some reams of biodegradable paper, invisible ink, and a new helmet.”

Emi raised an eyebrow and tapped the side of her glass of strawberry lemonade, “You ain’t right, you know that?”

Kenji grinned and shrugged, “keeps The Great Enemy guessing. Any questions on the plan, people?”

There weren’t any, so Kenji declared we could move out once our breakfast was finished. After some idle conversation over our meals, we all left the restaurant to prepare for the day’s activities before heading out.

+++
Next Chapter

Do not fuck with Lilly’s family in her presence. She will ninja cane you to within an inch of your life. Actually, don’t fuck with Lilly’s family at all; her uncle’s a retired Yakuza spy, her sister’s a corporate attorney, her father’s rich, and her mother’s a journalist. That’s like, multiple levels of ways you could get fucked up.

Thanks to ProfAllister for crunching the numbers on Emi’s accident for me. Sometime around August 7 was his estimate.

Hmm? The sturge thing? I hate sturges. I take my revenge on them in crude and disturbing ways. I regret nothing.

Next time, the girls go shopping, and Hanako gets distracted by some antiques, but will she have time to look at them? Will Emi have enough time to do her hair? These are the burning questions I am duty bound to satiate!

Cuz I created them in the first place :wink:.
Last edited by Hoitash on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 7/17

Post by Mirage_GSM »

“Sen for your thoughts?”
Nice bit of historical research, but the Sen doesn't exist anymore since 1954.
I wasn’t sure what he met,
Maybe he met his inspiration?
Lilly, who still looked like death walking, just with better hair.
Man, am I glad i wasn't drinking anything when I read this...
Now to get that image of Death with Lilly's hairdo out of my head...
Only I and Misha may do that.”
Lilly would probably be polite and say "Misha and I".
they’re a few shops on the way I can check out;
There are - or "there're" if you can pronounce that :-)

Keep up the good work.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 7/17

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
“Sen for your thoughts?”
Nice bit of historical research, but the Sen doesn't exist anymore since 1954.
I know, but I figure the phrase would still be around. Or perhaps Hisao picked it up from an older relative.
edits
Thanks for those :).
Lilly, who still looked like death walking, just with better hair.
Man, am I glad i wasn't drinking anything when I read this...
Now to get that image of Death with Lilly's hairdo out of my head...
WOULD SHE TALK LIKE THIS, TOO?
Keep up the good work.
Aye, aye, Sir!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

“There’s clearly some past trauma affecting her –I know the signs of PTSD; my grandfather was at the Pusan Perimeter- but every time I even think of bringing it up, she clams up, changes the subject, or fucks me until I pass out.”
So Kwan's grandfather had a sex change operation? I realize he slips back to talking about Emi, but it doesn't quite read that way... also eww.
Next time, the girls go shopping, and Hanako gets distracted by some antiques, but will she have time to look at them? Will Emi have enough time to do her hair? These are the burning questions I am duty bound to satiate!
Careful about the dress-up thing. Someone might accuse you of being a closet fashionista.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:
“There’s clearly some past trauma affecting her –I know the signs of PTSD; my grandfather was at the Pusan Perimeter- but every time I even think of bringing it up, she clams up, changes the subject, or fucks me until I pass out.”
So Kwan's grandfather had a sex change operation? I realize he slips back to talking about Emi, but it doesn't quite read that way... also eww.
Replaced the "she" after the grandfather bit with "Emi" to make things clearer.
Careful about the dress-up thing. Someone might accuse you of being a closet fashionista.
I have an eye for color, but that's about it. Actually, the source of my outfit selections might be fairly obvious to some of the readers. My knowledge of fashion starts with "I'm a winter" and ends with "black goes with everything."

And Hanako looks super sexy in denim, but we already covered that :wink:.