Flower and Snow

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Flower and Snow

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It was a choice of was or were, and the latter didn't make that part sound right.
It would have made it correct, though.
Yuki has two sisters, and that first part you quoted was when he was talking to the youngest who is around six at that moment in time so she wouldn't have been born until after they'd moved (unless I completely dicked up that part as well).
Well, insofar as I didn't even notice that his second sister had even come along on the trip until I read that part again carefully. Did you even give her a name? You always call her "youngest sister", and if you don't know which of his sisters is the older, this could as well mean Yumi.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Yuki has two sisters, and that first part you quoted was when he was talking to the youngest who is around six at that moment in time so she wouldn't have been born until after they'd moved (unless I completely dicked up that part as well).
Well, insofar as I didn't even notice that his second sister had even come along on the trip until I read that part again carefully. Did you even give her a name? You always call her "youngest sister", and if you don't know which of his sisters is the older, this could as well mean Yumi.
When I was writing this, I thought I'd differentiated between the two even though I hadn't thought of a name for the youngest of them (a name is mentioned, but as I had said in the after chapter comments it's just a place holder until I can come up with a proper name).
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Isn't it smarter to decide on names for the characters when you think up the main plot of the story? (before you start writing it, that is) I can imagine changing character names in the middle of a story is going to confuse people.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Guest Poster wrote:Isn't it smarter to decide on names for the characters when you think up the main plot of the story? (before you start writing it, that is) I can imagine changing character names in the middle of a story is going to confuse people.
Which is why she isn't referred to by name for a majority of that scene, and there's only one instance where a name is mentioned which allows for a quick edit of that along with any other changes to include that name (which I have finally decided on now).

There are occasions (like here) where I make changes when a story is ongoing, but the change is normally for something that is going to happen later on or in the chapter I'm working on (which is what happened here, and as I didn't want any delays which is why there's little reference to a name for that character).
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

With your posting schedule you can safely assume that any delay caused by you deciding on the name of a minor side character will be insignificant.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

When writting, your characters are probably going to take on a life of their own as you go on. Character grow and you'll begin to understyand them better as you write.

However, that is NOT an excuse for not having the basics figured out before you start. Before you write a single line of a charcter, you need to have a name for them, and some basic character traits. You also need to know where the story is headed as well as some basic ideas that will get you there. Don't be afraid of changing things and developing them further as you go, but the simple stuff needs to come before you even start your writing.
Not Dead Yet
demonix

Post by demonix »

Mirage_GSM wrote:With your posting schedule you can safely assume that any delay caused by you deciding on the name of a minor side character will be insignificant.
My posting schedule is more dictated by the amount of time I have per day to work on a chapter, and since that can be limited depending on how much I can write it does cause some delays (and the naming of the youngest sister got put on the back burner).
Oddball wrote:When writting, your characters are probably going to take on a life of their own as you go on. Character grow and you'll begin to understyand them better as you write.

However, that is NOT an excuse for not having the basics figured out before you start. Before you write a single line of a charcter, you need to have a name for them, and some basic character traits. You also need to know where the story is headed as well as some basic ideas that will get you there. Don't be afraid of changing things and developing them further as you go, but the simple stuff needs to come before you even start your writing.
The character in question is a minor one, and was there to help advance that scene (although she does appear again much later on in the story).

I always have the basics sorted out before I start writing, and I do normally have some parts thought out either before I start writing or while the story is ongoing.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Little update here as I've started working on this again.

I've made an alteration to the first chapter which doesn't really impact on what has already been written, but I won't update it here until I've completed the new chapter (and that might take a while considering the lack of time I have and that I'll have to wash through the rest of the story to remind myself considering how long it's been since I worked on it).