(Un)broken (Emi prologue) [Updated 8/18]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: (Un)broken (Emi prologue) [Updated 7/22]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

...her curves clad in an auburn floral dress...
I know, pars pro toto and everything, but this just sounds weird...
"Right. Nurse." She imprints the name in her mind.
Now, this shouldn't be too hard :mrgreen:
"I've seen patients react very differently after waking up from sedatives. With how much anesthesia we pumped into her system between the accident and the surgery, it had to be expected."
Not to say that anesthetics cannot cause mood swings, but in this case the emotional trauma would be a way more likely explanation.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
DaGarver

Post by DaGarver »

It's been called to my attention that I haven't updated this thread in a while, even though I've still been working on the story. Time to fix that.

Chapter 4: Falling After You
pastebin:

Ryota holds his daughter in his arms, her mind fallen off into the wonderland of sleep after their morning run. As he stares at her sleeping form, he can only smile. She grasps at his shirt, clinging onto the fabric across her stomach. In between sucks of her thumb, he can hear her mumbling. “Daddy...”

Such a beautiful little girl, he thinks. I can't wait to watch her grow up. She'll be an amazing young woman.

It's only been three or four years since she came into his life, but they are already incredibly close. Today he took her on their first morning run, and at her request even. She wasn't able to go very long, but it was enough to physically exhaust her to the point of him carrying her home.

Their car ride is uneventful. He had planned on taking her out for ice cream to celebrate her incredible effort, but given her current state, that doesn't seem possible. After the fifteen minute drive from their usual park to their home, Ryota leans back in his seat and sighs. He's already feeling the signs of age, even with how young he is.

His eyes turn to his daughter, whose neck is craned forward, her body restrained by the seatbelt. It's all that's keeping her from falling over on herself. So peaceful. His own seatbelt unclicks, and he rounds the car to the passenger side.

He lifts her out of the car seat to carry her inside. She stirs amidst his footsteps from the vehicle to their house. “Dad...?” she whimpers.

He shushes her. “We're almost home. I'll lay you down and you can sleep more.”

Her tiny body is easy to hold with a single arm, making it trivial to open each door. Meiko appears from their bedroom, fresh out of a shower. “How'd she do?”

“Fantastic. Enough to wear herself out.”

“As stubborn as you are, then,” she responds with a smile. He chuckles at her teasing, opening the door to Emi's bedroom. Plastered in various shades of blue, it's as unadorned as any other room for a girl her age. The bed is covered in stuffed animals, including a small bear that was a gift for her third birthday. As he lays her on the sheets and tucks her in, she subconsciously reaches for the toy, pulling it close.

He plants a single kiss on her forehead. “Sleep well, angel.”

The door latches shut.

~~~

Emi jolts awake, springing forward from her pillow. “Dad!” The tears stream down her face. She's back in the hospital. The realization hits her.

He's gone. Long gone. Only close by in her dreams and nightmares.

She buries her face in her hands, letting her eyes continue dripping with depression. A set of three knocks raps through her door. She doesn't respond. Can't I just be alone right now?

“Emi?” the familiar voice asks from beyond the door. “You awake?”

“Y-yeah...,” she replies, trying to restrain the cracks in her voice. It doesn't work, but the door is thick enough that Nurse doesn't pick up on it.

“May I come in?” he asks. “We need to get you downstairs for breakfast.”

“Um... s-sure.” She still isn't quite certain of their relationship. He's trying to maintain the professional aura, but she sees past that. The door latch clicks and swings open; Nurse ushers himself in, still wearing that cheeky grin of his. “Good morning, sunshine.”

She stays silent. He takes the hint and puts the professional aura back up. The collapsible wheelchair he delivered yesterday still sits folded at her bedside. He unfolds the chair, bringing it to the mattress, facing inward so she can hop into it. “C'mon,” he says. “I'll wheel you downstairs for some food.”

Hopping into the chair, she turns her head and shoots him an almost evil look. “I can do it myself, thanks.”

Whatever you do, don't try to baby her. He steps back, giving her space. Her weak arms struggle to turn the wheels, but she manages to at least back herself up. Turning proves difficult. Her first instict is to try almost hopping, lifting the chair and turning it inch by inch. That doesn't go well.

Nurse clears his throat, grabbing the wheels with his hands. He holds the right wheel still and moves the left wheel forward. Magically, the chair turns. “I coulda figured that out, y'know,” Emi retorts. He doesn't answer. She struggles again with the door, trying to figure out how to open it. Once again, Nurse comes to the rescue, holding it ajar for her. “Hey, mister, I can figure things out. I don't need your help!”

“Alright, alright,” he responds, holding his free hand up in the air. “I won't interfere anymore.” He heads out the door after her, walking ahead. From in front, he shouts back, “Elevator is down the hall and to the left, I'll meet you downstairs!”

She grumbles as the door closes behind her. A faint voice catches her ear. “You're kinda mean, huh?” She cranes her neck to find the source: a short girl, sitting on the floor to her left, back against the wall. THe pale tone of her skin and braided silver ponytail blend perfectly into the wallpaper. Hiding in plain sight.

Or, at least, she would be, if not for the bright pools of crimson in the center of her face.

Emi falls silent. “What'sa matter,” the girl speaks with a slight lisp, “cat got your tongue?” Her giggles are high-pitched and definitively childish. She's younger than Emi, who guesses maybe a two or three year difference. “Don't worry,” she continues, seeing the shame in Emi's eyes. “I get that look a lot~.”

“Uh... I uh...,” Emi mutters, trying to remember what she wanted to say before catching sight of the albino girl. SHe never believed in ghosts until now.

“Helloo~~....” A snap of the girl's fingers draws her attention back to reality.

Emi grits her teeth. “Mean am I?” she bites back.

The girl nods firmly. “Poor Nurse~. You scared him off. He's only tryin' to help, y'know.”

That's the problem, she wants to respond. I don't need his help. “Well, he could be less rude about it.” The girl cocks her head in curiosity. As often as she has been here, she knows the man well enough to actually make a judgment about him.

A short puff of air flies from between her lips. “Nurse~. Rude. You're mean and funny!” THe sing-song way she says his name drips with admiration of the man.

“And just who are you to call me mean?”

The girl laughs. “Just having schome fun. Lighten up a bit. Smell the roses and stuff.”

As if there were roses to smell. “Are you blind? I have no legs. How can I 'smell the roses and stuff'?”

“Because there are kids here that'd do anything to be where you are.” She hangs her head, almost dejected. “Like me.”

Confusion pervades Emi's mind. Just what did she mean by that? She wants to ask, but at least realizes that this is a touchy subject for the girl. The girl starts down the hallway. “Hey, wait,” Emi calls out, slowly wheeling up to her. The girl turns around to face her. “Mind if I walk... er, go downstairs with you?” That'll take some getting used to.

The girl smiles and nods. “C'mon, let's hurry!” She runs off, faster than Emi can wheel.

“Come back here!” she shouts playfully. The girl just giggles, her ponytail flying behind her. Emi rounds the corner and sees her standing in front of a giant metal door, what she presumes is the elevator. She rolls beside the girl and smiles, her mind distracted by the sudden entertainment.

“Oh,” the girl starts. “What's your name?”

“Ibarazaki Emi. Emi works. And what about you?”

“Katayama Rika. Just Rika, please.”

“Nice to meet you, Rika.” She nods her head in response. They board the elevator and make their trip downstairs to the mess hall. On the ride down, Emi decides that she needs to apologize. “Hey, Rika, I'm... I'm sorry about earlier.”

Rika cocks her head. “What for?”

“For being so... selfish, I guess. I should be thankful to still be alive. I've been given a second chance, and I should make the most of it, yeah?”

The elevator bell rings, and the great silver doors open. Rika nods. “Mmhmm. You should.” She starts walking through the doors, Emi close behind. “You're lucky to be here. Alive. No fear of dying anytime soon. Not everyone's that lucky.”

Wise words from a nine year old.

----------

Today's been... odd, if you can say that. I think that's a good way to describe it. There was Nurse's visit earlier today. Him trying to help me, and me pushing him back. I can do things on my own, I can figure them out for myself. Like... I know he means well, but I want to do this alone.

Although, yesterday, he mentioned new legs. That sounds exciting, even if it'll be months before I get them. Why even bother with the chair, then? I guess laying around for a few months doesn't sound too good. Definitely not as fun as having wheelchair races in the halls with the other kids here.

Then there was that girl. Rika. She acted like she knew Nurse so well. I wonder why? How long has she been here? She also seemed really... dark, I guess? You're lucky to be here. Alive. No fear of dying anytime soon. Not everyone's that lucky. What did she mean by that? Something I'll find out at some point, I hope.

Mom came in around 10am today. We talked for a while, just the two of us. She sounded pretty excited about new legs, too~. There was also a talk about school. For now, she's going to bring me study stuff so I can at least try to take my exams and pass the sixth grade. From the looks of it, I'll be here or in some kinda therapy for a while.

She also tried to get me into using that chair. Just like her to side with the other adults. “I promise, you'll be better before you know it if you just do what they say.”

“But Mom, I don't need their help!”

“Emi, this isn't going to be easy. Like it or not... you do need their help. This is going to be one battle you can't fight alone.”

Hmph. I'll show them. I'll show them all!

Dad always said how proud he was of me. I can't just let him down, can I? What would he say if he saw me just laying here, trying to feel sorry for myself? And Rika tried to encourage me, too. I can't just let them down. I sit up straight, hands on my hips, and puff out my chest. “No daughter of mine will quit trying!” I say in the gruffest voice I can. “Push! Go! Run! Fast!”

Hey, that was pretty good~. I should be a comedian. I could be the funniest thing on no legs! I think there's a comedy station on TV, I should start watching it for tips.

There's a knock on the door. I look up at the clock: 4pm. I've gotten a lot more aware of time since I've been here. It's too early for dinner, and Mom's already been in for the day. The nurse again, maybe? “Who's there?” I squeak.

“Emi?” the voice answers. It sounds familiar, kinda high-pitched but definitely a boy. Might as well let him in.

The door creaks open, and he peeks through the crack. I'd know that face anywhere: messy black hair, green eyes, and a pair of glasses hanging off his nose. “Ryota~...”

My jaw drops a little bit, and my face feels warm. Oh jeez, I hope he can't see my wheelchair... phew, it's folded off to the side. I don't want him to pity me. He shouldn't pity me.

“Ha, you're blushing!” he teases. “A bit excited to see me?”

I giggle. He knows I like him. That secret got out pretty fast. “Maybe~,” I answer in sing-song. I should be sad right now. But I feel like I can't be sad around him, at least for his sake.

“Hey, Emi,” he says with a smile, rubbing the back of his head. “I... I came to visit you.”

“Really now~?” I ask playfully.

He nods. “Oh! By the way....” He shrugs off a backpack and zips it open. “I brought you stuff. From school!” He brings out a get-well card, one of those cheesy ones that all the people sign without thinking about it. I'm guilty of it, too. It never seemed so... unpersonal? Impersonal? Whatever the word is.

Reading over the signatures, I start to realize just how little these people cared about me. Even the ones I thought were my friends. All the messages are short, stuff like 'Get well soon!' and 'Hope you feel better!' They don't get it. I'm never going to get 'get well.' Do they even know what's wrong? I look back at Ryota~. His eyes... they show the same pity. Does he think I'm weak? That I'm some princess who needs to be rescued by a guy on his white charger?

I'm more than that. I can stand up for myself. Surely he sees that.

He reaches back in the bag. “I brought something else for you.” It's a piece of paper from his sketchbook, with a picture of my face on it. “It's a picture of you. You know... so you know how much I've been thinking about you.” He puts his hand over mine. “I've been worried about you, Emi...”

“You shouldn't worry about me, Ryota~... I can take care of myself.”

“You can't keep me from worrying about you.” His arms wrap around me tight. I bet my face is beet red right now. My kingdom for a mirror, or however that saying goes. But even with how embarassed I am, this feels wrong. Like he's doing this to prove a point. His voice is raspy, like a whisper. “I'll keep you safe.”

So he just wants to keep me safe, does he? Well he can't. No one can.

He's getting way too close. What would happen if he were taken away from me, too? I can't let him in. I can't hurt like that again. The walls come up. I start to push him out. “Ryota~... I can't.”

He pulls away. “You can't what?”

“I can't let you get this close. You might replace him. You might hurt me.”

He cocks his head. “Replace who?”

“My...” I stop myself. He can't know. I won't tell him. “He's just gone, okay?”

He wraps me back up in his arms. I don't hug him back this time. “It's okay, Emi,” he says. “I'm here. I'll protect you.” At least he doesn't keep asking.

“You can stop the act,” I say, shoving him away. I've had enough now.

“The act? Emi, I didn't...”

“Didn't what?” My voice starts to rise slightly. “Pity the poor little cripple girl? Well that's what I am, Ryota~. And that's what you did...” Why does this have to hurt so bad? I'm already sobbing. But I have to push him away. Losing him would hurt even worse.

He responds in a mutter. “...cripple girl?” Right... he doesn't know. None of them do. I toss the sheets away from my legs. He stares at the stumps. The look in his eyes says it all. Yeah, he sure doesn't pity me.

I fall back on the bed, bringing my knees to my chest. I roll over and face the wall. I can't look at him. His hand touches my shoulder. “Emi...”

“Just go, Ryota. Please.” I can feel his hand leaving my shoulder.

“But I want to help you...”

“I didn't ask for your help, Ryota. I didn't ask for anyone's help.” My fingers clench into the pillow case. “And I don't need anyone's help.”

There's a short silence, disturbed only by the pitter-patter of his footsteps. The door opens, then closes. I don't bother moving. I'd rather just lay down and sleep for a while. I've crushed a young man's hopes. And to think that I cared about him, and that I cared about him.

...I hope I made the right decision.

----------

To Chapter 5: From Ashes

I'll post chapter 5 tomorrow after I go through and edit it again.
Last edited by DaGarver on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

And there we have the answer to the question that so many people have been asking:
Emi did NOT have sex with her previous boyfriend 8)

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Rika's only one year younger than Emi.

But aside from that, this was a really entertaining chapter. I think you've got Emi's voice much better than you did before.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
DaGarver

Post by DaGarver »

griffon8 wrote:Rika's only one year younger than Emi.

But aside from that, this was a really entertaining chapter. I think you've got Emi's voice much better than you did before.
Rika's one year behind Emi in school, but Emi is one year older than everyone else in her grade due to her time stuck in the hospital/therapy.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

DaGarver wrote:Rika's one year behind Emi in school, but Emi is one year older than everyone else in her grade due to her time stuck in the hospital/therapy.
But Rika is (jokingly) presented as a potential romantic interest for Hisao. I cannot imagine, even in a April Fool's joke, they would have her be under 18. I always figured her heart condition kept her out of school for a year.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
DaGarver

Post by DaGarver »

griffon8 wrote:
DaGarver wrote:Rika's one year behind Emi in school, but Emi is one year older than everyone else in her grade due to her time stuck in the hospital/therapy.
But Rika is (jokingly) presented as a potential romantic interest for Hisao. I cannot imagine, even in a April Fool's joke, they would have her be under 18. I always figured her heart condition kept her out of school for a year.
It's never brought up, so I just assumed. One of those things that just doesn't matter that much, I suppose. I assume that she would be two years younger than Emi.
DaGarver

Post by DaGarver »

Update before bed. Also updated the OP.

I skipped ahead pretty far for this one, just to get to what I think will be the good parts of the story.

Chapter 5: From Ashes
pastebin: http://pastebin.com/3Dm7F6CS

It's been two months since the accident. Two months of grieving, of minor celebrations as Emi makes progress in starting her therapy. She's done well so far, better than anyone expected. While she still gripes about the wheelchair, she understands that it is a necessary evil for now.

They have also moved her out of a standard hospital bedroom into a therapy ward room. She's being held as a resident for convenience's sake, and so that they can watch her closesly. As stubborn as she is, they don't want her trying any funny business. She made her displeasure perfectly clear to her mother.

“But I don't want to stay here! I want to be at home with you!”

“I know, sweetie. I'd like nothing more. But it's for your safety. I just want you to get better, as soon as possible.” She didn't like that answer, but accepted it. There was no changing her mother's mind. She also decided it was good for her to be away from school for a while, given how she treated Ryota during his visit.

Her mother didn't expect her to keep up with her studies. It would be too much effort to have work delivered each day, and Emi seemed comfortable with the idea of being held back a year to recover. Nevertheless, she pushed her to at least try. “Just study up and take the exam. If you pass, you pass. If not, well... we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.”

Today is a big day for her, though. Although she can't leave them completely, the doctors have deemed her well enough to fend off any limited exposure infection. As a result, she's heading home, at least for today. She had one request for her mother: “I want to go see him.”

Meiko wasn't surprised. Emi had to miss her father's funeral - much to her dismay - and she wants to pay her proper respects.

But there's another part to today when she returns to the therapy ward. The nurse came into her room early this morning bearing good news.

“Your new legs are in. They came in yesterday's packages.” Her eyes lit up with excitement. She was going to walk again. “We'll try them on when you get back. Something to look forward to.” As always, a smile dominated his face. “For now, enjoy your time at home. I'll see you after dinner.”

He doesn't like getting attached to his patients. This one is a bit different, though. He feels like he connects with her better than his colleagues, like there's something a bit more to their relationship than what's strictly professional. Friendship, maybe?

Emi is sitting in the waiting room in her wheelchair, wearing an old hoodie and a pair of sweatpants tied off where her stumps end. She's dressed warmly for the cool early autumn weather. Her knee jerks back and forth, a habit that she picked up to express anxiety.

A woman in an amber dress enters the waiting room and eyes Emi immediately. They rush toward each other, and Meiko picks up her daughter into a tight hug. “So good to see you again, Emi.”

“It's good to see you, too, Mom.” Though she visits every day, the time Emi spends away from her mother is disheartening, sometimes even lonely.

They proceed with temporary checkout, and then out the door. To her mother's surprise, Emi is able to move herself into the passenger seat. She bares an arm muscle and flexes it. “All that wheelchairing is good exercise. Check out these guns!” They share a laugh, and Meiko folds the wheelchair into the backseat.

The drive to their home is quiet. Emi doesn't talk much, but she looks around, carefully observing her surroundings. She's developed a subconscious fear of another accident, and this is her first time in a car since she's been in the hospital. It's a phobia that will fade with time. Meiko decides that it's best to keep her distance. If she wants to be independent, to deal with this herself, then she'll get the space she wants.

Emi feels bittersweet about her return home, no matter how short it is. It looks the same as it did when she left it that fateful morning. The vines near the doorway have grown, but clearly stay trimmed. She notices that his vegetable garden is still thriving, and some of the crops have already been harvested. For Meiko, it's a way to cope, a memento to her lost love.

The interior is also well-kept. Each appliance, surface, and furnishment has been scrubbed, waxed, and generally cleaned to prepare for her arrival. Emi sits in front of the TV for most of the morning, a habit she picked up in the hospital. It was something she never did before. She was always so active back when she had legs.

Meiko calls her in for lunch, and she lights up. Food: her second favorite pastime, right after running. The chef cooked far too much food for one meal, but Emi manages to scarf down her fair share and then some. “My, my,” her mother comments. “Hungry, are we?”

“Hospital food isn't nearly as good as homemade.”

Her mother chuckles. “No, I suppose not.” Emi returns to stuffing her face, not stopping to chat. Lunch continues in silence, save for a few belches and corresponding scolds about manners. When she finally gets her fill, Emi pats her stomach in satisfaction. “Delicious as always, Mom!”

“I'm just glad to see you eating well again. Remind me to pack you some to take back.” From her expression, she apparently likes that idea. “Are you ready to head on to see him?”

Oh, right. That. She thinks about it, obviously reluctant. But this is the entire reason she came home. It would be silly to turn back now. “Yeah,” she answers. “Let's go.”

In a flash, Meiko fetches her keys and they rush back to the car, beginning the ride to the cemetery. They don't talk on the way there. Emi is too busy thinking about seeing her father's living memorial.

The graveyard picked for her father's burial is situated on a hill, forming a frown on Emi's lips. Just look at it like one more challenge, she thinks. Just one more mountain to climb, just one more hurdle to jump. Eyes in front all the way.

Meiko unfolds the wheelchair in front of the passenger seat, then reaches into the back again to snatch her handbag. When she turns around, Emi's already gone, headed toward the hill and picking up speed to try climbing it herself. She makes it about a quarter of the way before her arms give out. Another attempt leads to only half as far. Then half as far as that. After that third try, she sits in her chair, panting and spent, gritting her teeth in frustration. “Stupid chair...”

A nudge hits her from behind, and her mother starts pushing her up the hill. She turns back and sees Meiko's smiling face beaming back at her. She doesn't want to accept help so readily, but sees no other choice for now.

The incline is steep and littered with a few gravestones. At its summit, it flattens into a plateau, where most of the burial sites sit. Some of the markers are extravagant, belonging to the obviously wealthy. Others are simpler, and its one of these that catches her eye, because it bears her name.

Meiko brings them both to a stop. Emi stares at the stone, trying to absorb every detail. A few flowers surround the edges, and the patch of grass in front of it blends in perfectly with its surroundings. This is where her father was laid to rest, his final home.

Eyes fixated on the stone, her mother's voice is but a whisper in the back of her mind. “Emi?” She tilts her head back, to give her some semblance of attention. “Would you like some time alone with him?” She doesn't speak. There are no words for what she feels right now. She only nods.

Meiko's footsteps quietly crunch along the crisp autumn grass, and she comes to rest just down the hill, out of Emi's line of sight. In the meantime, Emi has her moment. She reads the name again and again, just as confirmation. “Ibarazaki Ryota...” Tears begin forming in her eyes, clawing their way into the open air. “You're... you're really gone, aren't you?”

“Why did you go? Why did you have to leave me and Mom behind? Why couldn't they save you... It's not fair!” The wetness on her cheeks drips from her jawline and onto her shorts. She clenches the fabric in her fist, taking out her frustration on the threads of cotton. “It's not fair... It's not....”

Scenes from their life together flash in front of her. The first time he took her running in the morning, she could barely make it a single block before tiring out. That was almost seven years ago. There was a lot of room for improvement, and he kept her going. You can always try harder, she remembers him saying. They were his last words.

Even the bad memories make her smile: being reprimanded into cleaning her room, told to eat her vegetables, turning away potential pets and toys. As she thinks about all of these, she realizes that she feels empty. He played such a big part in her life, and now he's gone, leaving a hole in her heart. She wants nothing more than to walk again, to have a chance at running, so that she always has a way to remember him. She needs... something. Anything to fill the void, to make her feel whole again.

She remembers what awaits her at the hospital on her return. A chance to make something of herself. Today is her chance at rebirth.

She can't bear to be near the marker any longer, and she rolls away from the stone, toward the downward slope. Her mother is perched on the trail, awaiting her return. “C'mon, Mom,” she croaks. Meiko takes note of her and ensures that she can make it down safely on her own. “Let's go back,” Emi continues. “Too many memories.”

Meiko doesn't follow immediately. She pulls a small bouquet of three de-thorned roses out of her bag, one for each member of their family. “Ryota...,” she whispers, placing the flowers at the base of the headstone. “You will always be missed.”

A tear drops from her chin as she rises. “Please, give her strength.”

----------

True to his word, Nurse is waiting for them in the main entrance when they arrive. “Ah, just in time,” he greets them. Emi's depression evaporates when she sees him, turning quickly into anticipation. She shoots him a fierce grin. “Yes, Emi,” he says, holding up a small bag. “I have them right here.”

“Yes yes yes!” she exclaims, thrusting her arms into the air.

Just to tease her, they wheel back to her room. He catches her eyeing the bag a few times, even reaching for it once or twice. Each attempt is answered with a smack on the wrist. “Tsk tsk. Impatient, are we?”

“Hey, I've been in this damned chair for two months!”

Her mother snaps at the profanity. “Emi, language!”

“What~? The kids says way worse at school!”

“That doesn't excuse you. Now watch your mouth, little lady.” She slumps in her seat, crossing her arms and grumbling. Meiko swears an insult is hidden in there somewhere. “What was that?”

“N-nothing, it was nothing!” her daughter frets. Nurse only laughs at their exchange.

Once they arrive in her room, Emi zips over to her bed and leaps onto it. Excited is an understatement. The room is much cozier than her old hospital bed, with walls painted a cool sepia, a small dresser for storing clothes, and actual cloth sheets on the mattress instead of paper. The floor is still made of tile, for easy cleaning.

Nurse sets the bag on the floor, the clinks and clanks of metal and plastic muffled by its material. He unzips the cover and pulls out its contents: a short pair of prosthetic legs, about 38cm in length, terminating in a metal ankle and a rounded block resembling a foot. The fake skin is colored to Emi's exact tone.

Emi's eyes glimmer with wonder as she stares at them, wiggling her thighs back and forth almost like a pair of tails. He brings the prosthetics over. “Scoot a bit closer to the edge, if you don't mind.”

Her mother sits right beside her, hand on her shoulder for reassurance. Despite all the energy exuberated from this little girl, she is still nervous on the inside. Nurse attaches a prosthetic to one of her stumps. The weight is foreign; it's definitely lighter than her old legs, but heavier than what she's lived with for the past two months. She bends what remains of her knee, and the new calf responds accordingly.

A phantom pain shoots through her thigh, reminding her that this is not a real limb. But, to her, it might as well be real. It's a second chance, a road to another life. One that she hopes will take her far. She does her best to ignore the pain for now, though a few unnoticed winces surface for but a moment.

The room fills with her giggling, and Nurse attaches the other leg. He steps back a bit to give her some room, extending his hand. “C'mon,” he says. “Try them out.”

She instinctively hops forward... and instantly collapses when she hits the floor. “Ow, jeez!” she yells when her tailbone smacks the tile. He grips her hand and lifts her off the ground, keeping her steady while she stands. “Whoa, there, not so fast,” he starts. “You need some time to get used to them before you can walk all on your own again.”

“But I want to walk now!” She rips her hand from his grasp and falls again, only to be brought back up to her feet once more. A timid laugh weasels through her lips as he almost scowls at her. “I've been bedridden for two months, can you really blame me?”

He chuckles and gives her a playful wink. “I suppose not.” His eyes turn to Meiko. “Would you like to give it a shot?”

“Um... s-sure.” She taught the girl to walk once; she never thought she would be put in that situation again. Her hand quivers as she takes possession of her daughter. Her other hand rests on her bent knees, bringing her to eye level. “Come on, sweetheart. You can do it.”

She struggles to pick up a metal foot, only managing to hold it midair for a short time. Walking was so natural before that she has actually forgotten how it worked. The muscles in her thighs have also deteroriated from disuse, making it difficult to lift even what amounts to a long stick of aluminum. “I... I can't,” she whispers, on the verge of sobbing.

“Yes, you can, Emi.” Her mother strokes her cheek, their eyes meeting. Emi stares into the deep brown, trying to read the swirl of emotions: compassion, encouragement, and - most of all - love. “Be strong. Just like your father taught you.”

Just thinking about her father should make her sad. But, right now, with an opportunity to show her strength, it only inspires her. You should never give up, Emi.

His words firm in her head, she shifts a food forward, similar to a shuffle. Then another. And another. Nurse watches with pride at this Cinderella story on legs. “Incredible...,” he mutters. Here was a girl that they assumed would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Now, given the chance, she has proven all their assumptions wrong.

“Excellent work, Emi,” he says, audibly this time. He reaches to take her back, but she glares at him. She focuses all of her energy into her thighs, digging as deep as she can. “I'm not done yet,” she explains.

After only a few shuffles, she manages to pick up one of her feet and lets it drop on the ground in a step. Her mother's eyes light up with happiness as she relives all the memories. Every detail is vivid, almost as if it were happening right in front of her for the first time. Ten years later after teaching her baby girl how to walk, she gets to re-experience that sense of wonder.

If only Ryota could see her now..., she thinks. He would be so proud. This is his work. He taught her this determination.

But it's not all determination. A tinge of fear, of uncertainty lingers in Emi's eyes. Even with this display of inner strength, she is not sure. She is giving it her all, just to prove her point: that she has the power, that she can go the distance.

Eyes in front all the way, she keeps telling herself. Just one more mountain to climb... Just one more hurdle to jump.

With a second step, her knees buckle and she falls on all fours. The nurse offers her a helping hand, but she refuses it.

“I'm *not* broken,” she says, almost biting with arrogance. “I can stand up for myself.” Though she shoves it away, he keeps the hand extended, should she wish to take it. She tries to bring herself to her feet, but to no avail. Countless attempts, each a failure. Finally, reluctantly, she accepts his offer.

It's a start, he says in his head. But she still has a long way to go.

----------

“You're sure, are you?” the voice utters from across his desk. The owner is a heavy-set man, dressed in a very expensive suit, an ironic cigarette dangling from his mouth.

“I am, sir,” Nurse responds. “After today, I wouldn't want to work with anyone else. I'm requesting a transfer to watch over her physical therapy.”

“And what makes you think that this is a good idea? We have trained professionals that do this day in and day out. You're saying you can do it better?”

“She's already shown the strength. With absolutely flying colors. But there's more to it than that.” He pauses, going over his words carefully. They must be precise. “She's afraid.”

“Afraid of what?”

“Of failure. Of taking help when she needs it most.” His superior leans forward, hands resting on his chin, brow furrowed and eyes boring into Nurse's skull. But Nurse doesn't flinch. He must be unyielding if he is to convince this man. “Sir, if you want this girl to succeed, then she needs someone she trusts to be there with her. I'm the closest thing you have. I've been with her since day one, trying to help her come to terms with this. Let me keep trying.”

“We have counselors for that, you know.”

“Yes, and they have all this theory-hullabaloo knowledge. That doesn't compare to practice.” His response merits a raised eyebrow, more from its tone than content. “Sir... I feel like I can connect with this girl. I think I can be the light that she needs in this darkness. She needs... a friend.”

His superior leans back in his chair, pondering the options. He doesn't see a way to stifle such determination. Finally, he sighs. “Very well, Toriyama. I'll put in the paperwork.”

Nurse gives him a wide smile. “I won't let you down, sir.”

----------

Feels a bit rushed, but I was getting tired of durdling around when I wrote this chapter a week or so ago. I mostly just want to start focusing on the Nurse-Emi dynamic. I might tweak up Emi's sudden mood change when she returns to the hospital, given that the events happen in the same day. She feels a bit too happy, even now, especially considering the previous events in the chapter.
Mirage_GSM

Re: (Un)broken (Emi prologue) [Updated 8/18]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Must be nice to have a hospital where a nurse can be assigned to one patient exclusively...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
city_wok

Post by city_wok »

Is this one complete? Or is there one more chapter to come when they are at the school together and her adjustments to starting at Yamaku?
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Nice story. You do a good job at adding some humanity to the Nurse and making Emi's father into a likeable character in the short time he's there.

Still, the pace of events feels like it's rushing far too fast and it's hard to get a grasp on Emi. Her maturity seems to bounce back and forth from scene to scene and she seems to go through some rather drastic mood swings that don't feel intentional.
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Huh, a prequel... will be reading soon.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"