Katawa Superpowers (Spoilers)(Marvel crossover) Final

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Chrono180

Re: Katawa Superpowers (Spoilers)(Marvel crossover) Chapter1

Post by Chrono180 »

Here's chapter 14. One more chapter, then I'll start on revisions.

Chapter 14. Cures

Emi heard a knock on the door to her apartment. Getting up, she dashed over and opened it. Max was there, and he was dressed in a brown shirt and pants rather than his usual red armor.

“Good to see you.” he remarked “Miss me?”

“Very much so,” Emi grinned, “Come on in.” Max smiled and sat down on the couch

“So, I bet your parents were glad to see you.” She then added

“Yes, they were. Especially considering the Exiles had returned my original body to them, or at least what remains of it. They thought they had lost me forever.” He chuckled “But you saved me. You brought me back. I owe you my life.”

Emi laughed, “No need to be so overtly dramatic, cutie. If I could, I'd save everyone. This power is just hard to rely on.” She paused for a moment, “But it brought me closure.”

“What do you mean?”

“While you were gone... I wound up bringing someone else back, you wouldn't know her. It prompted me to wonder 'who else can I bring back?' Answer is, not many people. But I can talk to the dead too. I...” She took a deep breath “I was able to lay an old ghost to rest that way. Achieve closure. I think...I think I'm ready to love again.” She leaned in close to Max and kissed him hard on the cheek “You're a good person. You didn't pry much when I told you I wanted to keep things to myself, and you offered to listen to me if I wanted to share. I think I'm ready to share now.”

Max patted Emi on the shoulder, “Sound good. I'm glad you're willing to open up.”

Emi nodded, “It was my father. The ghost I talked to, that is. Twelve years ago I was in a car wreck. Its how I lost my legs. And my dad. Losing him..I don't know if you've lost people, but it destroyed me. I still cry at night from the dreams where I replay the accident in my head. Even worse, I never even got to say goodbye. Until now. And saying goodbye...It's like finally being able to breath after being underwater,” She took a deep breath “I was scared when I learned about these superpowers, I mean, I didn't want to live for thousands of years, after all, I'd have to say goodbye to so many people, and I'm terrible at goodbyes. Losing my dad alone...” She swallowed, “But I can take the time to enjoy life for now. I think. When I first met you, I figured you'd be someone I play with but never get close to. Like every other relationship I had. But it turns out you're different. You lived your life despite everything that happened to you. You're an inspiration, to be honest. Just promise me something.

“Yes?”

“Promise me you'll do your best to live as long as you can. I want our relationship to last as long as possible.”

“Of course.”

The Grandmaster stared at Rin as she worked on one of her paintings. As she drew another face onto the canvas with her foot's paintbrush, she paused for a moment.

“Do you think I should fill this will green or yellow?” She asked.

“Yellow, without question. Non-vetal forms function well with aurulent paints.” The blue man replied

“I thought that too. It's nice having someone who speaks my language. Though I must say your language is a bit advanced for me. Perhaps you could speak more plainly? I don't understand half the words you use. ” She dipped her paintbrush in the yellow paint and began to fill in the face.

“Perhaps I can attempt such a vocabulary alteration. You know..” The Grandmaster began.

“Many things.” Rin replied.

En chuckled “Well, yes. But I was going to inform you I have the technological advancement to create robotic hands for you.

“No, no need.”

“Really? I would postulate it would be easier than painting with your foot.”

“I like painting this way. And it's what I'm used to. If I had hands I'd have to start over from the beginning. Like a man who watches a movie halfway, then decides he would rather do it in widescreen and rewinds.”

“There are numerous uses for hands however-.”

“No. It's fine. I don't need hands. I could use an automatic orange peeler though, could you make one of those?”

“Well, yes, but...” The Grandmaster tried to think of how to explain himself, but couldn't figure out a good way to phrase it. “Why don't you desire hands?”

Rin shook her head, “I don't need them.”

He shrugged, “I completely fail to understand you people, you know. Shizune completely rejected my offer of healing her auditory system, desiring instead a trivial mental operation. You insist you “don't need hands” despite their inherent utility. Why would any organism reject a chance to be complete?”

Rin looked at him funny, “You don't seem understand this, but we are complete.” Setting down her paintbrush, she turned and looked at him strongly, “We may be different, but we are just the same as anyone else. You're new here, but stick around and you'll find out soon enough. Don't worry.” she picked up her paintbrush and then added “Humanity can still surprise you.”

Yuuko sifted through paperwork. She was lucky in a way. Not many people got a second chance to live, especially if they weren't given powers. The procedure needed to get reinstated as 'alive' was extremely difficult, however. Dozens of forms, many of which had to be filled out in triplicate, each detailing methods of death, time spent away, possible explanations for returning... But she was managing. With luck, soon she'd get the funding needed to move back into a house, get back to work, and restart her life. Then she heard the doorknob turn.

“Kenji,” she said softly.

Kenji nodded, “Hows the bureaucratic nonsense coming along?”

“Getting there. Thank you again for letting me stay here. And providing for me. I don't mean to be a burden.”

“Eh, shit happens. Just don't die again, okay? Too many resurrections gum up the afterlife system. Jean Grey alone has died so often she has a revolving door in heaven.”

“Sorry about that... whose Jean Grey?”

“One of the X-men. Most notably for her simply astounding number of resurrections. She's died a minimum of seven times, thirteen if you count her clone. It's a running joke of sorts, and I've heard the X-men actually take bets on how long it takes her to come back every time she bites it. This sort of thing happens all the time. Superheroes die, then come back, then the fact they came back lead to more people dying, which leads to more people coming back, which leads to more problems...It's a vicious cycle. Pretty soon nobody will die, and then what will happen?”

“Immortality?”

“Yes! I mean, can you imagine all the feminists living forever? I would have hoped someday this madness would end, but if people keep coming back to life, I'll be the last sane man forever. How was the machine coming?”

“Machine?”

“Yes, the one you took my life energy for.”

“Oh, that... It, uh...I couldn't get it to work. Had to scrap the entire design.”

“Oh, so I gave my energy up for nothing?”

Yuuko looked down sadly. Kenji shrugged, “It's alright. Not every miraculous invention comes into promise. If it did I wouldn't have my eye problems. It was worth a shot. Which reminds me of what I wanted to talk to you about in the first place.”

“Ah, ok?”

“Recent events have caused me to question myself,” Kenji made a dramatic pose and continued, “I am beginning to wonder how far the conspiracy really goes.”

“Kenji, I-”

“No, just hear me out. No fewer than three times in the past few months have I been informed by people I trust that my assumptions about certain issues were incorrect. There was my thinking you were a succubus, of course, which was sort of true but you had a very good reason for being one. Then there were the party where all those cute girls were. I thought they might be feminists, but my bro Hisao told me they were friends and allies against the conspiracy. I trust Hisao with my life, you know. He's the only other one who truly understands what is going on. And then he informed me that Lilly was not actually in the mafia, but undercover infiltrating it. Now, maybe if it had been just one or two instances of being incorrect I could ignore it, but three? Something smells fishy, and it's not just my tuna salad.” He grinned. “I'm beginning to reevaluate how deep the conspiracy actually goes. At first I thought the feminists were everywhere. But now I'm beginning to think I may be overestimating their reach. Now, there are a lot of places where there is definitively signs of feminist control, such as Nintendo and McDonalds, just to name two out of forty or fifty. But there are many where the signs are less obvious, and they may have not grabbed a hold of yet. Walmart, for example. And the X-men. Maybe this fight isn't as hopeless as I thought it was.”

“Why are you telling me all this?” Yuuko asked, confused.

“I was wondering if you want to help me with the data. You had a pretty sharp thing going, building a feminist-detection machine. Wish I had come up with that. I mean, it was admittedly pretty irrational of me to just jump ship and hide for years because of an incident I never gave you the chance to explain, but no hard feelings?”

“Of course not.” Yuuko's replied

“Good. So, you want to partner up? Figure out the depth of the problem?”

“I'd like nothing better.” Yuuko's heart soared. This was a start. A very good start.

“Excellent. When you finish getting reinstated in the world, I'll bring by my data and we can sort through it. Maybe Hisao can help out too, though he seems a bit busy helping Lilly with her undercover work.” He grinned and sauntered out of the room.

Hanako sat in her room. Eight weeks since the kidnapping. Eight weeks since she had nearly killed her friend. She was improving, slowly. No longer did she burst into tears at the sight of Hisao, and no longer did she feel like a monster. But the images were still there, the memory was still there, and she still had nightmares. She didn't know if she'd ever be back to where she was, but she could endure. She would endure. She had told Hiso she could work through this, and she had kept her word. Now...now she felt like she might survive.

She had her face healed. There was a small measure of comfort in that. For the longest time it had been everything she wanted, but now? It didn't matter that much. It mattered some, of course. Over a half-dozen classmates had invited her out and she had skyrocketed in popularity in her classes. But truth was, the people who truly cared about her...the scars hadn't mattered to them. Lilly, Hisao, Trevor...they had seen her for who she was.

There was a knock on the door to Hanako's apartment. She was a bit surprised but she got up and opened it. Trevor was there, but looked horribly disheveled, like he had just rolled out bed.

“Trevor?” Hanako asked, “What's wrong?”

Trevor grimaced and pulled out the amulet he wore from beneath his clothes. The emerald inside was pulsing with a sickly green light.
Last edited by Chrono180 on Sun May 13, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I am monitoring this thread
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Enemy | wrote:I am monitoring this thread
But do you like it?
Not Dead Yet
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I'm not big on fanfics or the Marvel universe, but this has been quite interesting to me.
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

And here is the last chapter, where its demonstrated exactly how bad an idea is to piss Hanako off.

Chapter 15: Endings
“I have to go.” Trevor said sadly “The Chronomancer has found me.”

“What- NO!” Hanako grabbed her boyfriend, “Please don't. ”

“I'm sorry.” Trevor shook his head “I shouldn't even have come here, every minute I spend in this dimension increases the risk of him finding me. I just couldn't leave without saying goodbye. So goodbye Hanako.”

“No. ” Hanako said softly “ I need you...”

“I'm sorry, but this isn't up for debate. It's best for everyone if you just forget about me.” The words hung in the air like lead in Hanako's stomach.

“I could never forget you...”

It was at that exact moment Hanako heard glass shatter behind her.

“Oh shit.” Trevor said and Hanako whirled around. Standing in the windowsill was a man. He looked like Trevor, but notably older, and he was clad in a suit of metallic armor from the neck down. The left arm terminated in a sort of cannon and the right had a wicked looking gauntlet with spikes all over it. His head was covered by a transparent helmet, which allowed Hanako a look at the manic grin on his face.

“Get behind me.” Trevor said.

The Chronomancer laughed, “Acting all brave and noble, are we, younger self? Four years and I finally caught up with you, because you fell in love. And to this broad? I thought we had better standards than that.”

“Why won't you just leave me along?” Trevor stated angrily, “I never did anything to you.”

“You still don't understand, do you? I need to kill you in order to ensure my own survival. Sooner or later, if you don't become me, I'll cease to exist.”

“You're from an alternate reality. Temporal physics don't work that way.”

“Or do they? I don't understand it myself, but I'm going by the way I figure it out. Anyway.” He lifted the cannon on his left arm, and fired a rocket at them.

Hanako's reaction was as instinctual as it was selfless, pulling Trevor down and taking the blunt of the blast herself. She screamed as the flesh on her back seared and then repaired itself.

“Get up.” She thought to herself, “Come on, get up.” but she couldn't, she felt herself freeze in place. This was too much. Bad enough she had been kidnapped, bad enough she had been turned again her friends. But now...now her boyfriend was going to die. And she couldn't stop it. She heard the gun reload and braced herself for another impact.

It never came. After a few moments, she looked up. The Chronomancer was sprawled on the floor, his mouth drooling. Over in the doorway was Hisao, who was clutching his head.

“Hisao?” Hanako asked.

“It's over Hanako.” Hisao replied, rubbing his temples thoughtfully, “Don't worry, I got him.”

“What did you do?”

“I was upstairs when I heard impact from your window breaking and ran down here. He was pointing his gun at you, so I did the only thing I could. I reached in. And turned off his mind. Normally not something I could do, but his mind was virtually unguarded. Almost like he was missing some important part of himself.” Hisao shook his head, “I wish there had been another way. I truly do, but I couldn't think of one in time to save you.”

Hanako nodded sadly.

“It's over” Trevor mumbled, getting up, “It's finally over. I ran from him so long, and so many times, and now it's finally over. I can hardly believe it.”

“Yuuki?” Hisao asked

“Call me Trevor. Yuuki was an alias, one that I'm finally through with.” He reached over and hugged Hanako. “Thank god. Now I can stay. I don't have to hide anymore.”

Hanako just sat there and stared at the brain-dead figure on the ground. Then it twitched.

“Umm, guys..” she started.

“USER LIFE SIGNS DISABLED” a voice from the armor came “AUTOMATIC MODE ENACTED. PRIMARY FUNCTIONALITY: TERMINATION OF TREVOR FITZROY EARTH ONE-ONE-NINE-ONE.”

The Chronomancer's figure lurched to its feet in a stiff, erratic fashion.

“Oh God DAMN it.” Trevor swore.

The figure jerked forward its left arm and a series of rockets emerged from it. Hanako barely got a force field as a volley of explosions blasted against it.

“PRIORITY REASSESSMENT: IKEZAWA, HANAKO, THREAT ANAYLYSIS: MODERATE. FITZROY, TREVOR, THREAT ANAYLSIS: MILD. NAKAI, HISAO, THREAT ANAYLSIS: NEGLIGABLE. CONCLUSION: THIS UNIT IS IN MINOR DANGER.”

“Can't you do anything?” Hisao asked Trevor, who shook his head.

“Even if I drained the life force of its operator, the machine would still run. You're a telepath, right?”

“Yeah, but that's not going to do any good against this.

“FUTHER METAHUMANS DETECTED: IBARAZAKI, EMI, THREAT ANAYLSIS: MILD. HAKAMAKI, SHIZUNE: THREAT ANALYSIS: MODERATE. MIKADO, SHIINA, THREAT ANALYSIS: MILD. TEZUKA, RIN, THREAT LEVEL: SEVERE. SATUO, LILLY, THREAT LEVEL: ULTIMATE. CONLUSION: SHOULD THIS BATTLE PERSIST, A 99.8 PERCENT CHANCE OF ATTITIONAL METAHUMANS ARRIVAL EXISTS. A 99.67 PERCENT CHANCE OF UNIT'S DESTRUCTION EXISTS. CONCLUSION: SUPPLIMENTARY: THIS UNIT IS ENAGING EXTREME MEASURES.”

“That sounds bad.” Hisao stated, “Hanako, do something!”

Hanako hesitated. She didn't want to do this. She didn't want anything to do with a metahuman lifestyle. Most of all, she didn't want to hurt anybody.

But it wasn't a person, was it? Just a machine, a very advanced machine, operating by the program it's operator had installed on it. The Chronomancer was essentially dead, this was just one of his toys.

A mass beam of energy emitted from the armor toward Trevor, but was curtailed by another force field.

“DELTA CLASS FORCE FIELD DETECTED: SOLUTION: LEVEL SEVEN LASER.” The armor spun around towards Hanako and a burst of white light emerged from the gauntlet's spikes. It went right through the force field and Hanako screamed as the flesh on her left arm fried and then healed itself.

“ALPHA LEVEL HEALING FACTOR DETECTED. SOLUTION: INTENSIFY” The Chronomancer's figure jerked slightly. “CORRECTION: FITROY, TREVOR, EARTH 1191 LACKS SUCH A FACTOR. COMMENSING PRIMARY FUNCTIONALITY.” The machine held up it's gauntlet towards Trevor...

And just like that, something snapped inside Hanako. She had a GODDMAN BOYFRIEND! For the first time in her life, someone had finally chosen her, and when she was scarred no less! And now this...thing... this lump of metal and plastic was going to take him away. No. She was not going to stand for it. She wasn't going to run, she wasn't going to hide.

This time, she was going to fight.

“You piece of junk, you really think.... You really think you're not in danger? I'll show you danger” She snarled and grabbed the robot in a force field fist. And then she began to crush it. She piled all the hate, all the frustration, all the disgust, she had been feeling over the past two months in a massive buildup of emotion and squeezed as hard as she could.

“DIE YOU SON OF A BITCH!” Hanako screamed.

“ERROR, DAMAGE TO PRIMARY FEEDS...SECONDARY FEEDS...ERROR...ENGAGING...”

Hanako piled on the pressure. She could hear pieces of the armor snapping inside. Good. That means it was working.

“ERROR, POWER SUPPLY DAMAGED, ATTEMPTING REPAIRS: CORRECTION ATTEMPTING...ERROR ERROR.”

Cracks emerged on the helmet, and it burst inwards. Moments later, the Chronomancer's head was pulped in shower of blood and brain matter. Hanako barely even noticed, instead building the pressure as hard she could.

“USER TERMINATED. UNIT ANNIHLATION: IMMEDIANT: STATEMENT: I ONLY REGRET I AM UNABLE TO FUFILL MY FUN-”

And at that moment, the armor burst inwardly and became smaller and smaller, crushing itself tighter and tighter until all that was left was a small metal ball dripping blood.

Hanako gasped for breath.

“Geeze, remind me to never make you angry.” Trevor chuckled and walked over to Hanako. “Nice going.”

“I...I didn't mean for that to happen.” Hanako said softly.

“Don't worry about it.” Hisao said, “You probably saved our lives. I mean, seriously. Trevor and I couldn't do jack about that thing, but you crushed it like a roll of tissue paper.”

Hanako nodded, “I guess... I just didn't want to kill him.”

“Hanako, I was the one who killed him.” Hisao stated simply, “All you did was discard the remnants. Trust me, you did the right thing.”

Hanako nodded again, and then looked at the ball. So this was how it was going to be from now on. Constantly on guard, always worried about being ambushed, watching out for fights at all hours of the day... All she wanted was to be normal. But that was never a possibility. Ever since the fire, she had been different. And she would always be different. There was nothing she could do about that. But she had friends, she had family, she had a boyfriend.

With them, she could make it.

And deep within the darkest corners of her mind, something sinister stirred.

And that's that. I have begun work on a sequel, though it will not be ready for a long time, both because it's likely going to be fairly long and because my muse is being annoyingly uncooperative. In the meantime, I will be posting revisions of the earlier chapters that Oddball has been helping me with. A big thank you to him for his help with feedback!
Last edited by Chrono180 on Sun May 13, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Katawa Superpowers (Spoilers)(Marvel crossover) Complete

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I wonder why the robot assessed Lilly as the highest threat.
I also wonder why noone else wonders about that...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I wonder why the robot assessed Lilly as the highest threat.
She can "talk" to machines. It probably thought Lilly could control it.
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

Enemy | wrote:
While a very good guess, that's not quite what I was aiming for. If you'd like, I could tell you since I'm not certain If/when I'll finish the sequel, or even if i can follow up to that plot point in the next version (If I can complete it, it's going to focus more on Hanako, andHisao's attempts to save her after Apocalypse's kidnapping turns out to have further effects that was previously anticipated._)
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Chrono180 wrote:
Enemy | wrote:
While a very good guess, that's not quite what I was aiming for. If you'd like, I could tell you since I'm not certain If/when I'll finish the sequel, or even if i can follow up to that plot point in the next version (If I can complete it, it's going to focus more on Hanako, andHisao's attempts to save her after Apocalypse's kidnapping turns out to have further effects that was previously anticipated._)
If you ever decide to just not do the sequel, then yeah, I'd like to know, but for now, I'll wait to be surprised by you :)
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

Enemy | wrote: If you ever decide to just not do the sequel, then yeah, I'd like to know, but for now, I'll wait to be surprised by you :)
Alright then, but just so you know, it's going to be a very long wait. My muse is being astonishingly uncooperative as of late, and I really don't know if it will get back to where it was before. This fic took over a month to write, and that was when my muse so active I could churn out 3-4 pages on a good day. I'm halfway thinking about making it a series installment, but considering I'm not sure if I can finish it, that might be a bad idea.
crushinator

Post by crushinator »

Hey, I just sat here reading this in one sitting. It's great.
I love the episodic nature of the storyline, like a TV show or comic book.
The quick pace of the plot lines makes it easy to read as something new is always happening, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
I'm not a Marvel or comic book fan myself, but I liked the complexity of some of the backgrounds, I guess that's just my kind of story.

I have a few opinions that I feel like sharing:

The grandmaster is a cool character, but I would prefer him to be more aloof. Like when he said "wow" when he was with Rin, I didn't think that suited the character very well. Maybe once he falls for Rin a bit more he'll let his guard down with that kind of thing, but I think he should be, as I said, more aloof and maybe more enigmatic at first.

I think Emi's first conversation with her Dad should have been more like her having an emotional breakdown of seeing him, and with him not saying much and the conversation being cut off like it was but without much being revealed. It was weird that they talked about her new boyfriend when he's been dead all this time.

How does Misha fight? She's indestructible, but she's not trained in martial arts or anything. I hope this will be explored in the sequel.

Chronomancer's suit's assessment of each of the threats was great foreshadowing.

I probably have some other opinions, but can't think of them right now.

Also, you can take the fact that this is my first post as a compliment.
Chrono180

Post by Chrono180 »

Allright. Revision have been completed, so this should hopefully be the final draft, apart from minor spelling and grammer issues. Work proceed on a sequel, which deals with Apocalypse's kidnapping on Hanako having more effects than was previously believed. it will likely take a fair bit to complete, however.
Jake Zero

Re: Katawa Superpowers (Spoilers)(Marvel crossover) Final

Post by Jake Zero »

Did you give Rin medicine to control her autism?