Here's all of Doomish's old shit

WORDS WORDS WORDS

BobBobberson

Re: Braving the Storm [Misha/Shizune]

Post by BobBobberson »

que?

Seriously though,
Even though I don't like the pairing much (Well, I don't like Shizune much to begin with, but I reserve most of my hate for Rin), it's a testament to the quality of your writing that I find myself plowing through this story in one night. And then cry myself to sleep wishing my fanfics were as good as yours.
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

Got excited at a new chapter to this. Was not disappointed, though I still have no idea how Misha pulled that off.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

At frirst I wan't feeling this tory, but I'm starting to like it more and more. The last part could maybe be changed a bit to make it even more clear that Mishia didn't win on skill but that Jigoro lost because he lost his temper. For the rest, no complaints, keep at it! :)
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Mealforthree

Post by Mealforthree »

That's what what. The quality of the writing is spectacular, but still - what
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Mealforthree wrote:That's what what. The quality of the writing is spectacular, but still - what
What country you from?
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
mainframe004

Post by mainframe004 »

Excellent work on the story so far. I can almost feel myself in Misha's shoes with the way you describe the scenes with her father.

"We live as we do to show the world what it could be." ~ Machinae Supremacy - Overworld

Paths: Lilly > Hanako > Rin = Emi >>> Shizune
Characters: Hanako > Rin > Shizune > Emi > Lilly
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Oh, and I have a Japanese law and culture quibble. You see, "psychological" damage is of no meaning in Japanese law. Check out the Japanese penal code It's quite an interesting read (I love to read laws) It's very easy to understand.

The relevant articles for your story are:
Article 204. (Injury)
A person who causes another to suffer injury shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 15 years or a fine of not more than 500,000 yen.
Article 206. (Incitement of Injury)
A person who incites the offender in the commission of a crime at the scene of a crime proscribed under the preceding two Articles shall, even if the person does not directly cause another to suffer injury, be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 1 year, a fine of not more than 100,000 yen or a petty fine.
Article 208. (Assault)
When a person assaults another without injuring the other person, the person shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 2 years, a fine of not more than 300,000 yen, misdemeanor imprisonment without work or a petty fine.
Article 218. (Abandonment by a Person Responsible for Protection) When a person who is responsible for protection of a senile, immature, physically disabled or sick person, abandons, or fails to give necessary protection to such person, the person shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not less than 3 months but not more than 5 years.

And as for it being a fight in the court, it would be more about the punishment than the crime. In Japan, it's normally enough to convince the police, and have enough evidence. If that's the case, the judge will almost certainly condemn the accused. The Japanese police can keep a suspect locked up for over 90 days (prolongable even!) until they have to press charges and tell the suspect what they actually are. If charges are pressed, then Japan has a 90% conviction rate. There is no jury, and the judges typically only acquit in cases where it's clear the police has messed up. Usually, only the severity of the punishment is really in question at a trial. Also, there's no double jeopardy like in the USA, if the condemned appeals, the prosecution can ask a higher court for a more severe punishment. So most condemned don' t bother to appeal, as it might only see their punishment increased.

So, if the police is convinced of the suspect's guilt and has enough proof, they will press charges and the suspect being condemned is almost a forgone conclusion. They'll also try to hard-handedly extract a confession out of the suspect. If they can't find enough evidence, they'll keep the suspect as long as they can (to give them a slap on the wrist) and don't press charges and then release the suspect.

In this story the only loophole Misha's father would have would be to plead that it's merely assault and not injury, and get off with a fine. But since there were injuries, I think it might be doubtful if that would be successful. He could claim that he was only trying to correct his "delinquient daughter" who failed to show up at her mother's funeral... Which could work if the judge was very conservative, you never know in Japan... :p

However, if the judge is not too conservative, and with the school's teacher's backing, and the fact that she was injured, it should be enough to send him to jail up to 15 years. And add to that, they'd probably slap him with an abandonment charge of Misha as well. He will still be able to get softening circumstances, and if he stays calm in court, apologizes to Misha and claims that he sincerely regrets it, and makes a confession, and has some family members vouch for him, and offers financial compensation, then Misha's father will probably get off with around 2 to 5 years.

Of course, the question remains then who will pay Misha's tuition, perhaps she could press for damages...

Well I hope that was useful, make of it what you wish. :) Heck, now I feel like I want to write the trial out as a fanfic.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Please don't hijack another thread...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

I don't consider it hijacking. I learned a thing or two about the Japanese legal system just now, that's for sure.
Cally

Post by Cally »

Doomish wrote:I don't consider it hijacking. I learned a thing or two about the Japanese legal system just now, that's for sure.
Pretty sure he was referring more to the
Heck, now I feel like I want to write the trial out as a fanfic.
part.
It happened. Thankfully i'm too dense to fathom a fanfic of a fanfic and my brain shut down in a move of self defence before I thought about it too much.

Aaaaanyway, love the latest part of this story, the sword fight came out great :D
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Yes, I admt that I'm prone to write fanfics of fanfics. But if I do so I'll start another thread, and ask permission to do so. I decided not to do so since after doing some research into crime in Japan, I'm don't have the heart to do so anymore.

After reviewing the Japanese judicial system more, with data found here:
http://www.courts.go.jp/english/proceed ... html#2_6_e
I think a punishment of 1 to 2 years would be more likely, possibly even suspended... but it might be the kick Misha's father needs to understand he has to get his life back in order.

Also a few thing have changed since I last checked, and now, for grave crimes there are lay judges (a partuial jury), and the procedures for arrest have been made more favorable to the defendant. The conviction rate is still over 90% though...
Kind Regards, B.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

Forget it.
Last edited by Doomish on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOTC

Re: Braving the Storm [Misha/Shizune] (finished!)

Post by YOTC »

Excellent work as always sir.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

And thank you for that story. You had me nearly in tears there. :)

Still, I'm going to quibble about the Japanese funeral customs. In Japan, there's almost no burials. The family has to stay after cremation, and put the bones in the urn feet first with long chopsticks. Misha and Sizune would probably have been expected by the funeral company to stay do that, seeing that they're the only family left. Of course, not doing that, and then have the ashes not placed in the family tomb would be the ultimate insult she could do to her father. A passage like "I'm not going to stay to pick up his bones after the cremation. I ordered his name to be erased from the family tomb and his ashes to be buried in an unmarked grave." could be used indicate that. And if she does stay to pick up the bones, a good time for black humor, maybe?
Kind Regards, B.
Cally

Post by Cally »

Yeah, really enjoyed this story (as always!). Great job.