Here's all of Doomish's old shit

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Doomish

Re: Braving the Storm [Misha/Shizune] (finished!)

Post by Doomish »

Beoran wrote:A passage like "I'm not going to stay to pick up his bones after the cremation. I ordered his name to be erased from the family tomb and his ashes to be buried in an unmarked grave." could be used indicate that. And if she does stay to pick up the bones, a good time for black humor, maybe?
For the sake of me not having any idea how Japanese customs work prior to writing this story, let's just pretend she did that while we weren't paying attention. :wink:
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

>ctrl-f
>wahaha
>phrase not found
Why do you keep doing this
Cally

Post by Cally »

>Brogurt
>Reading a fic that isn't about Hanako

Why would you even do this. You've changed man.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Cally wrote:>Brogurt

But I didn't
I just want to chide him for not having a wahaha in it
Hence the ctrl-f
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

Dat PTSD. And Misha's parents are 10 types of f**king retarded. I see no sympathy in their deaths, the mom for being a loser who purposely went back to asshole dad because he had monies, and the dad is well...self-explanatory.
Last edited by BobBobberson on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

Brogurt wrote:

But I didn't
I just want to chide him for not having a wahaha in it
Hence the ctrl-f

You didn't look hard enough.
BobBobberson wrote:Dat PTSD. And Misha's parents are 10 types of f**king retarded. I see no sympathy in their deaths, the mom for being a loser who purposely went back to asshole dad because he had monies, and the dad is well...self-explanatory.

K, can you update Little Faith now? :P
Technically your hatred of Misha's mother is unfounded; she didn't come back because Misha's father had money, she came back because she literally would not be able to support herself and Misha otherwise. She didn't report him to the authorities earlier because he had the power to silence her by abusing Misha to get to her. She stayed with him out of fear, not love nor wealth. Her death served basically as her release from the torment, and now she gets to be all peaceful in the afterlife while Misha always carries a bit of her in her heart.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

I checked page 4 since it says finished in the title
I figured that if there was going to be a wahaha anywhere in the fic, it would be near the end
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Doomish wrote:Technically your hatred of Misha's mother is unfounded; she didn't come back because Misha's father had money, she came back because she literally would not be able to support herself and Misha otherwise. She didn't report him to the authorities earlier because he had the power to silence her by abusing Misha to get to her. She stayed with him out of fear, not love nor wealth. Her death served basically as her release from the torment, and now she gets to be all peaceful in the afterlife while Misha always carries a bit of her in her heart.
Exactly so! That you did get right! Japanese religious views are surprising and quite eclectic. That's why they say a Japanese person is born as Shinto, marries as a Christian and dies a Buddhist. But from what I've glanced, when it comes to the afterlife, many Japanese tend to believe in a "Heavenly Land", "Heaven", or "That World". for exampl, I saw quite a few Japanese TV programs where the death of a person was described euphemistically as their "journey to Heaven." As I understand it, in Japan, Heaven is seen as the peaceful afterlife that mirrors this world, from where the ancestors watch over their offspring, and from where the departed are sometimes reincarnated back into our world.

I have to make the the precision that it's often felt that through one's own death, one's sins are punished and expunged. Which means that suicide can be seen sometimes as a way to repent or show remorse. Which would likely have been the case for Misha's father. He would probably have realized he was in the wrong after losing his job (almost inevitable in Japan since he got arrested) and when he sobered up in police jail. Knowing no way other to set things straight he'd be likely to decide to die to repent.

Misha, as an /almost/ regular Japanese girl who is not not too deep into science, would most likely believe indeed that her mother was looking over her from Heaven. And she's set up a photo of her mother on a high shelf in her room in Yamaku, with offering flowers and rice wine, and make a short prayer with three claps of her hands and three bows every day.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Beoran wrote:Still, I'm going to quibble about the Japanese funeral customs.
Will you quit doing that? I mean it's not like the information isn't useful, but it gets old to have you keep jumping into threads to tell authors they're doing it wrong.

(on the upside, at least you're not dropping fanfics in other authors' threads anymore, so there's that.)

Has he?

>checks

No he hasn't. Same empty content as always.
BobBobberson wrote:Dat PTSD. And Misha's parents are 10 types of f**king retarded. I see no sympathy in their deaths, the mom for being a loser who purposely went back to asshole dad because he had monies, and the dad is well...self-explanatory.
I'd suggest reading up on spousal abuse before you condemn her mother quite so strongly. Things aren't as simple as you're making them out to be.

As to my own comments: Doomish, I'm pleasantly surprised! You kept the angst in the story to a minimum and gave us a fairly compelling story about Misha's personal growth. I'm not quite sold on the swordfight, mind, but it's a minor matter. The overall arc of the story is solid and thoroughly enjoyable. Nice work!
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

WolfStreak

Post by WolfStreak »

SO in the first page of the thread it says extending the story, has that extension already come? i am confused?
Streak as in streaking by at the speed of light.
Not the naked kind of streak...
That would just be odd >.>
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

WolfStreak wrote:SO in the first page of the thread it says extending the story, has that extension already come? i am confused?
The first chapter, Lightning, was originally the entire story. I decided to extend it into the story it is now based on that. Sorry for the confusion.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Bagheera wrote:
Beoran wrote:Still, I'm going to quibble about the Japanese funeral customs.
Will you quit doing that? I mean it's not like the information isn't useful, but it gets old to have you keep jumping into threads to tell authors they're doing it wrong.
I'm sorry if this annoys you, but I'm entitled to my opinions, and . All in all, my intent is not to say "you're doing it wrong", my intent is to say: "I liked your story but I can see you didn't know this and that detail, so here's the reference you need. Make of it what you want."

I guess it's because I know a bit about Japanese culture that it just irks me to read a great, fun story that just can't work as is in Japan. And I also think that if you're writing a story that takes place in Japan with Japanese characters, you should do at least a bit of research on Japanese culture and customs.

However, I don't want to be an asshole, so now I'll just send my quibbles in a private message, and put the refereces in the "Tips for Fanfic wrters" thread.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Beoran wrote:
Bagheera wrote:Will you quit doing that? I mean it's not like the information isn't useful, but it gets old to have you keep jumping into threads to tell authors they're doing it wrong.
I'm sorry if this annoys you, but I'm entitled to my opinions, and . All in all, my intent is not to say "you're doing it wrong", my intent is to say: "I liked your story but I can see you didn't know this and that detail, so here's the reference you need. Make of it what you want."

I guess it's because I know a bit about Japanese culture that it just irks me to read a great, fun story that just can't work as is in Japan. And I also think that if you're writing a story that takes place in Japan with Japanese characters, you should do at least a bit of research on Japanese culture and customs.

However, I don't want to be an asshole, so now I'll just send my quibbles in a private message, and put the refereces in the "Tips for Fanfic wrters" thread.
Don't worry your not the only one lol. I too get thrown off by western culture in Japanese settings.

As for the haters. They just hating because you burst their bubble, even if it culturally enlightens them.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Beoran wrote:I'm sorry if this annoys you, but I'm entitled to my opinions, and . All in all, my intent is not to say "you're doing it wrong", my intent is to say: "I liked your story but I can see you didn't know this and that detail, so here's the reference you need. Make of it what you want."

That's a very good way to approach it IMO. Thanks!
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Read through this from start to finish in one night. Safe to say that was two hours well spent. Like a few others, I'm not entirely sold on the sword fight, but frankly it doesn't bother me. Swordfights are my media weakness; I can't help but love them. Your writing is, for the most part, excellent (naturally, everyone has their little typos or whatnot, myself not excluded). I'm having a hard time seeing Shizune loving Misha, but then I didn't really get the feel for her loving Hisao in her route either; I suppose I can put that down to her character, rather than any sort of fault on the part of the authors.

I fully intend to read through your other works now, though as it would appear I would have a lot of work ahead of me were I to do so. It's going to have to fit somewhere onto the list of things I have to do already. Who knows, it might take as long as it took to get to reading this one. Hopefully though, I can get my affairs in order quickly, so I can enjoy another dose of Doomish-brand literature. I can't wait.
Cheers, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!