Katawa Kijo

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Katawa Kijo

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Writing's been a bit slow this past week, but I decided to put up chapter ten anyway. Please enjoy.

Chapter Ten – Colours of the Wind
Two hours later, Hanako has managed to copy the feat of turning her hair to white and back to normal, while Ms. Miyagi has pronounced my efforts to return her hair back to its usual black 'satisfactory'. I missed a few strands but at least I didn't cause any hair to fall out, so I guess my amphibian existence has been put off for now.

Outside, the sun is approaching the horizon, and she dismisses the class, though not without handing me two books to study until next week. Not my usual fare, but the prospect of practical application makes the thought of doing some actual studying much less fearsome than I thought it would be.

Hanako and I pack our stuff and leave the classroom together. The other classrooms are empty. There's a message on the door of our homeroom. “Gone to town with Shicchan. See you tomorrow. Love, M.”

A bit embarrassed, I take the note and put it in my bag. It's just like Misha to leave a note like that hanging in the open where anyone can read it.

I turn to Hanako. “So any plans for the afternoon?”

“I... I was going to l-look for Lilly...”

“Mind if I tag along?”

“ N-No...” Hanako shakes her head and we set out for the tea room.

We arrive at the tea room, and I knock on the door. “Lilly? It's us, Hanako and Hisao. Are you finished with your lesson?”

There is no answer. I open the door to find the room empty. As I step over the threshold, Takeshi's voice sounds in my head. We've gone to the garden to practice because of the nice weather. Please come and join us.

I turn to Hanako and open my mouth to speak, but apparently she has heard the voice as well. “Well, he's right. The weather is way too fine to stay inside.”

As we go to meet Lilly and Takeshi, I marvel – not for the first time – at how fast we've come to accept all the weird things happening around us...

Lilly and Takeshi are sitting on a blanket beneath a tree in a quiet corner at the back of the garden. The flowerbeds around them are spectacular, and for a moment I feel sad for Lilly because she is not able to see them.

As Takeshi sees us walking down the gravel path, he rises and waves. “Ah, Hisao, so you got my message?”

Well, the answer to that should be obvious, but I appreciate him asking and not simply reading my thoughts. “Yes, we both heard it. Thanks for inviting us.”

Takeshi gives me a calculating look, but doesn't comment further. “So, Lilly and I were practising sendings - talking mind to mind. She's actually gotten pretty good at it so I thought she might be ready to try to talk to someone who isn't a Diviner.” He smiles at Hanako. “How about it? Do you want to try?”

Hanako nods shyly. “Y-Yes.”

“Then please sit down on the blanket and hold Lilly's hands. It's easier that way.”

Hanako does as she is told, while Takeshi comes over to stand next to me and watches the two. Lilly's eyes are closed and Hanako looks like she is listening to a voice too faint to be audible. Then a smile spreads across her face. “Yes, Ms. Miyagi changed into a wolf and then...”

“Sorry,” Takeshi interrupts her, “please don't answer out loud. Just think your answer and let Lilly try to read it.”

The following minutes are exceedingly uneventful, as the girls 'talk' to each other. Takeshi must have noticed me getting bored because after a while he asks Hanako to trade places with me.

I sit down next to Hanako and take Lilly's hand. I don't know if it helps to strain one's ears to hear a telepathic message but I do so anyway just in case. To my surprise Lilly's voice sounds loud and clear in my head, just as if she were talking to me normally. Hello Hisao! How are you today? Apparently she's already gotten the hang of this trick after practising with Hanako.

Relieved that this is not going to be that hard, I hurry to think my answer. I'm fine, thank you. You've gotten pretty good at this, haven't you.

Somehow you are easier to understand than Hanako was. I have no idea why.

Maybe Takeshi would know?

Lilly gives a mental shrug. I have no idea how she did that. Maybe. I'll ask him later. Meanwhile she gives me a grin as feral as Ms Miyagi's wolf form. So, I heard that you found yourself a girlfriend? You and Ms. Mikado are an item now?

I feel my face flushing and quickly turn my head away, Hanako and Takeshi won't see. I guess not even Lilly can resist the opportunity for some juicy gossip. Must be a woman thing... While I ponder what to answer, I let my gaze wander across the flowerbeds. I wonder if she will be mad at me for going out with Misha. The two of them don't get along very well, do they? At least I don't think she'll be jealous...

A gasp from Lilly takes me back to the present. I let go of her hand and turn back to her. Her eyes are wide open and her face has gone almost completely white. Did she accidentally hear one of my thoughts just now?

Takeshi is already kneeling besides her, gently shaking her shoulders. “Lilly! Are you okay? What's wrong?”

Hanako is also there gripping her hand tightly.

A few moments later Lilly starts to recover. “What was that?”

We stare at her uncomprehendingly. Takeshi has a strange look in his eye. “What was what?”

Lilly shakes her head. “I don't know. There was... Something... I don't know how to describe it.”

Takeshi's gaze wanders between Lilly and myself as he ponders something. Then he seems to come to a decision. “Okay, let's try something. Hisao, close your eyes!” I wonder what he's got in mind but I do as he says. “Good, now take Lilly's hand again.” I feel his hands gently turning my head to the left. “And now open your eyes again, slowly!”

When I open my eyes I find myself looking at the flowerbeds again. As I feel Lilly gripping my hands more tightly, I finally understand what must have happened.

“Now, Hisao, please describe to Lilly what you are seeing.”

I take a deep breath, then I start talking. “I see a field of grass. A gravel path leads back to the main building. Along the path there are several flowerbeds. The one on the right holds yellow and red chrysantemums, the one on the left...” I almost falter as I recognize the flowers. “Those are Lillys.” I turn back to look her in the eyes. “And this is you, Lilly.”

Tears are running down her cheeks as she struggles to handle all the unfamiliar sensations. Hanako is holding out a handkerchief to her, and she is tentatively reaching out for it, beaming when she manages to take hold of it on the first try.

By now there is a lump in my throat as well. I am unable to get any more words out, and I wouldn't know what to say, even if I could.

The sound of Takeshi clearing his throat ends this magical moment. “I'm sorry to interrupt, but this is enough for today.” When Lilly hesitates to let go of my hand he continues. “Soon you will be able to do this without physical contact and for longer periods of time, but please don't overexert yourself for now.”

Reluctantly, Lilly lets go of my hand. Her expression turns sad, as she is once again returned to not seeing anything. “You have made great progress. I didn't expect you to be able to do that for at least two more weeks.” He winks at the three of us. “I guess I'll have to teach you about colours earlier than I intended to.”

He reaches for Lilly's hand and helps her stand up. “For now, please get some rest. We'll bring you to your room, and try again tomorrow, okay?”

While Takeshi gathers up the blanket, Lilly takes Hanako's arm and together we walk towards the dorms. As we reach the courtyard, I remember about the things Ms. Miyagi said earlier.

“I'm sorry, Lilly, I just remembered I have something to do in the nurse's office.” I nod a quick good-bye to Hanako and Takeshi as I jog over to the auxiliary building. “We'll see each other tomorrow.” For the first time, that line doesn't sound wrong in my ears.

Much later that evening I finally return to my dorm. The nurse was surprised at first, but he thought it was a good idea and helped me search for all the stuff I needed.

Now I'm standing in the corridor, carrying two large books and three folders worth of copies and internet printouts – blown up to twice their normal size - and try to knock on the door without scattering them all over the corridor. In the end I place the papers on the floor first.

After the knock it takes a few seconds before I hear the expected sound of half a dozen locks and bolts being undone. Then the door is opened just enough for Kenji to slip out, and he closes it behind him so fast that I have no chance of catching a glimpse of his room.

He has done away with the curtain in favour of a tall staff made of cardboard – probably filched from the art-club's supplies - and I have no idea whether or not he is wearing his magical hat, but I decide not to comment, because that way lies insanity.

Kenji squints at me, trying to ascertain my identity, then he relaxes. “Hey, it's you bro. What gives?”

I hedge a bit, trying to not let my anxiety show. “Oh, nothing much. I just wanted to ask how your studies with Mr. Kanzaki are going. Made any progress yet?”

Kenji brightens as the topic is breached. “Of course I did! You think I'd just sit around idly when an opportunity like this opens up? I'm going to give it my all and use it to start turning the tide on the Feminist Incursion!”

“This afternoon I showed Mr. Kanzaki all the information I've gathered so far, the diagrams, the statistics and my conclusions from them. He was clearly shocked. Said this was worse than he had expected. I'm sure he will join our cause once he has had time to look through all the data.”

“That's great, Kenji, but I was talking about your magic training. How's that coming along?”

He sobers up a bit. “I guess, it's going okay... In a way...”

That doesn't sound good. “What do you mean by 'in a way'?”

“Well... I can see that magic glow in his little cubes. Better than the cubes themselves in fact.”

“But you didn't do any actual magic? You know... By yourself?”

He avoids my gaze and stares at his feet. “Not yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time, until... Hey, what is all that stuff on the floor?”

I remember the reason why I came here in the first place, but in my heart I fear this might be pointless after all. If Kenji cannot do anything at all, how can I expect him to...

It's futile to follow these thoughts any further. I went to the trouble of gathering all this stuff and even if it doesn't help, it can't do any harm either. I decide to go with the story I thought of earlier. “Well, I did some intel-gathering myself, and I wanted to keep you up to date.”

Kenji grabs the topmost folder and squints at the gigantic writing. “That's great, bro, I knew I could rely on you.” He frowns. “'Sarcoma'? What's that? The name of our enemy?”

“Yes, Kenji, that's the most dangerous enemy of them all.”

Please look forward to chapter Eleven:
God Help the Outcasts
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

Mirage... <3 <3 <3

Doing great, looking forward to next chapter
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Can...not...belive...I did not get the Disney song references in the title :shock: ...I feel pretty stupid right now... :cry:
ChaoticGrowth

Post by ChaoticGrowth »

scott1and wrote:Can...not...belive...I did not get the Disney song references in the title :shock: ...I feel pretty stupid right now... :cry:
Wow, so do I... :cry:
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Ah, I was wondering if someone would ever notice (and bother to write a post about it) :D

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

I'll have to tell you guys I'd probably never have even looked for the reference if Mirage hadn't told me when I first started editing for him :P
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It's been almost a month since the last update...
Sorry for the delay, but those past few weeks I've been busy getting the German version of KS Act 1 ready. As soon as that's finished, I'll get back to this story here.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

*makes a note to get his ass back to editing this evening* ">_>
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

dont worry mirage... my boredom can handle a little while longe....

... never mind

I need something to do....
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

yeah Mirage, I haven't even been working on my stuff recently so there's no rush by my book.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Petermeter

Post by Petermeter »

Pretty nice story so far, I'm pretty impressed that you use the concept of magic at a pretty subtle pace [ /edit: and now I am pretty ashamed I use the word pretty pretty often....] - considering that you (at least I think so) said that you played Dungeons&Dragons, where magic does seem a bit... well... over the top.
The big coincidence that there are exactly 8 magic users on the 8 classes of magic featuring all 8 relevant students of KS reminds me a bit of Terry Pratchett ( you know... the eighth son of an eighth son is a creative mage and stuff), but I can't say I don't like that, either. What does seem a bit strange though is that Hisao had a strong aura of magic despite being new to school, and what you hear about his progress is well surpassed by the others. Not that this hurts in any way.
Keep it up, one more Fanfic to keep an eye on for me :)
Ranking after act 1:
Hanako > Rin >> Lilly > Shizune > Emi
I played the routes in that order, every ending and all.
Ranking after full playthrough:
Lilly > Emi >> Rin ~ Hanako > Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

You know, you're pretty observant.
So far, noone else noticed (or bothered to comment on) that (seeming?) discrepancy...
Oh well, you'll just have to wait and see.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Petermeter

Post by Petermeter »

Now you really have me excited about the story. Take your time though, I already learned to be patient. :)
Ranking after act 1:
Hanako > Rin >> Lilly > Shizune > Emi
I played the routes in that order, every ending and all.
Ranking after full playthrough:
Lilly > Emi >> Rin ~ Hanako > Shizune
Wan-wanniche

Post by Wan-wanniche »

As another Terry Pratchett fan, I approve of the previous postings.

:lol:

Anyhow, good stuff. I look forward to the next chapter.
Rin takes an unexpected lead in the updated polls.
Surprised? a little
Is this unexpected? Have you met Rin:)?
Expect the unexpected. lol
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Okay, German translation is all but finished, and I'm getting a bit of writing done again. Enough that I feel comfortable posting another chapter or two.
Also, my previous estimate was for this story to have fifteen chapters... Well, I'm currently writing Chapter fifteen, and it doesn't seem like, I'm going to finish in that one. New estimate: around eighteen or nineteen, but some of them might be a bit shorter.
Note:Ooki is one of the characters in the classroom CG. His 'official' name is Taro, but I fleshed him out before I knew about those names, so I'll leave him as Ooki. He was briefly mentioned in another story of mine and will feature more prominently there if I ever get to continue it.

Chapter Eleven – God Help The Outcasts
The next morning, I am among the first in class. Emi had to leave early, because she had to help the nurse with something. She said I should continue my program on my own, but what can I say... I guess my self-control is almost as frail as my heart.

The classroom is empty except for Miki and Suzu doing some last-minute homework and Ooki (*) snoring away in his seat at the back. I wonder if he got here early as well or if we forgot to wake him after classes yesterday. As a narcoleptic, his waking hours are beyond irregular, so it's both possible I guess.

There's still plenty of time until classes start, so I sit down at my desk, unpack my stuff and take out the book I'm currently reading.

One by one my classmates arrive, and soon the room is abuzz with voices. Then all at once the voices stop. I look up to search for the cause of this sudden hush and notice Misha and Shizune standing in the doorway.

I draw in a sharp breath as I take in the scene. Misha is huddled behind Shizune and looks as if she were ready to bolt from the room, while Shizune is glaring daggers at the rest of the class. The reason for the quiet is also obvious. She is wearing a pink bandanna – a very meagre disguise of the fact that her usually abundant hair is gone.

A moment later our eyes meet and when I see that fear of rejection lurking deep within her, I decide that more than a reassuring smile will be necessary to comfort her now.

I get up, walk over to the door and - trying to forget the dozen or so pairs of eyes staring holes in my back - take her into my arms. “I am glad you went through with it. I'm so proud of you. I love you.”

The words I whisper into her ear might not be the most eloquent thing I've ever said, but Misha doesn't seem to mind. She looks up at me, her eyes close to tears, wraps her arms around my neck and places a kiss upon my mouth. At that moment I actually do forget about everything else around us...

I don't know how long we have been standing there, but we are jolted back to reality by Mr. Mutou clearing his throat. “As much as I hate to interrupt your moment, Mr. Nakai, lessons are about to start.”

This time even Misha turns red. I don't even want to know what my face must look like. A few giggles follow us as we walk to our seats – not as much as I would have expected given the situation. Most of our classmates seem to understand that there is something serious going on, but it probably won't stop them from gossiping anyway.

Morning classes go by with nothing more unusual than a few curious glances thrown Misha's and my way. During lunch, Misha has to go to the nurse's office for her chemotherapy, so Shizune and I go to the cafeteria to get some boxed lunches and head over to join her.

As we enter the office, the nurse somberly points us towards the curtain separating the back of the room from the rest. Misha is lying on a bed, her eyes closed. Next to the window, an infusion pack is steadily dripping away, a thin tube letting the poison flow into her left arm.

I sit down on the corner of the bed and take her right hand. “Hello Misha. It's us. We brought you some lunch.”

Misha opens her eyes and smiles weakly. “That's sweet of you, but right now, I would only throw it up again. I'll try to eat some in the afternoon.”

She frees her hand and tries to translate for Shizune, but as she cannot use her left arm because of the infusion, the signs look awkward and it takes much longer than it usually does.

Shizune signs something back and Misha chuckles. “Yes, I do swear upon my honour as the student council vice-president.”

I point at the infusion pack. “So how long until you're done with that thing?”

“It should be through in about 30 minutes, but the nurse said I should rest at least an hour afterwards. I guess I'll sleep through afternoon lessons, so I'm fit for Mr. Mutou's Evocation training. Who needs Japanese literature anyway?”

I groan as I think about the three lessons ahead of me. Mrs. Tsukamoto has an unrivalled talent to make lessons so boring... so boring that I'm not even able to think of a fitting comparison. For a moment I consider skipping the lessons as well, but one look at Shizune's expression puts paid to that idea.

“Oh no you don't, Hisao, no playing truant without good reasons!” Misha giggles as she translates. “But isn't Mrs. Tsukamoto's class a good reason? What? Not good enough? Well, you don't have to listen to her, Shicchan.”

As Shizune and I unpack our lunches, I am happy to see that Misha seems to be a bit back to her old self. The bickering between the three of us continues through the lunch-break, and we can almost forget where we are and why we are here.

Almost...

After surviving three hours of reading the works of Kyokutei Bakin, I wave goodbye to Shizune and walk over to Mr. Kanzaki's office. I knock on the door and walk in to see him crumpling a letter in his fist. He turns towards the door, scowling. “WHAT?” Then he notices me and his expression softens. “Oh it's you, Hisao, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout.”

“Don't mention it.” Secretly I'm relieved that I'm not the one he's angry at. Still, there's something I have to ask. “So, how are Kenji's lessons going?”

Mr. Kanzaki frowns. He has his anger under control now, but he is definitively troubled. “Did you talk to him?”

“Yes, but... You know how he is. I don't know what to make of his answers, so I thought I'd ask for your opinion.”

He sighs. “Not good. His talent is obviously there, but I have no idea of how to tap it. His mage-sight is coming along fine, but he is neither a Diviner nor an Abjurer, so the most he can do is discern the type of magic in an object. Other than that... Well, there are records of some of the destructive powers of necromancers, but I think it is too risky to teach him about those, as long as he is so... unstable...”

He stands up, walks to the window and looks outside. “Of the healing powers of Necromancers, there are no records at all, except for ancient legends. None of them more recent than 2.000 years. I don't even know where to begin teaching him about those.”

“And if that wasn't enough, now the Mediterranean Council has to meddle as well.” He points at the crumpled letter on his desk. “They think it's too dangerous to teach him and would rather lock him up and throw away the key.”

“But they can't do that, right? He's done nothing wrong!” 'Yet' I add mentally, but I'd better keep that doubt to myself for now.

“Not as long as I have anything to say in the matter. But for now it's important that I can show them positive results as soon as possible. Would you mind much if I sent you over to Ms. Aikawa to hear her lesson? I'm sorry to cancel twice in a row, but...”

“That's okay, I understand. I can practice with the others, but Kenji only has you as a teacher.”

He raises an eyebrow. “Glad to get away from the old relic, eh?”

“It's not that, it's... Believe me, no one wants Kenji to succeed with his magic as soon as possible more than I do.”

“Oh... I'm sorry, Hisao, I didn't think about that. Well, off you go then. You know where they hold their classes?”

Of course I know where the Enchantment classes are held. During my first week at Yamaku, I spent more time there than in my own room.

On my way there, I try to remember about the Enchantment teacher, Ms. Aikawa. I only saw her once during the meeting last Monday, and Shizune didn't talk much about her lessons... Well, obviously she didn't, but she didn't sign much about it either. Come to think of it...

Before I get to finish that thought I arrive in front of the student council office. I remember what happened yesterday and decide to knock properly this time.

I hear some steps from inside, then the door is opened, and I see Ms. Aikawa standing in the doorway, grinning at me. “Ah, it's you! I was wondering when you would do us the honour.” She winks at me. “But if you're just knocking on doors, you'll never catch a lady with her dress down again. Isn't Kozo with you?”

I feel my face growing red again. At least this episode won't be told to the non-magical part of the faculty. “Uh... No, he is training with Kenji, so...”

“That's okay, we don't need him, and you'd rather have us two beauties all to yourself anyway.”

She motions for me to enter. If this continues all afternoon, I'm not sure my heart will be able to take it.

Shizune is sitting at the table staring at a small cage containing two guinea pigs. As I approach, she looks up and smiles at me. Welcome!

I stop dead in my tracks and when she sees my reaction, her grin almost splits her head in two. “How did you do that? Aren't only Diviners supposed to be able to do sendings?”

Behind me Ms. Aikawa starts to giggle. “Yes, but this was not really a sending. You know that Enchanters can control the mind of other beings – order them to do stuff they wouldn't normally do, right?”

“Yes, but..:”

“And didn't you wonder how Shizune was going to do that, when she cannot talk?”

In truth I never thought about that, so I stay silent looking a little embarrassed.

“So, while it can't hurt to vocalize a command, Enchanters are able to give purely mental commands as well. Otherwise you couldn't order around people who don't understand your language, let alone most animals. Technically Shizune was giving you a command. She was ordering you to feel welcome.”

“But, Ms. Aikawa...”

She raises her hand and frowns. “We can do this one of two ways, Hisao. Either you call me Akane of your own free will, or I will order you to. I'm not that many years older than you, and you will not make me feel like an old lady.”

What is it with those teachers? One threatens to turn me into a toad, and now this... I start again. “Okay, Akane, but I wasn't feeling any compulsion at all.”

“Well, I could make you do things without you realizing I was doing magic,...” The way she says 'things' is making the blood shoot to my face again. It's a good thing I'm not prone to nose-bleeds. “...but Shizune is not that good yet. How best to explain it...”

She raises her right hand to her chin while she ponders the thought. It looks kind of cute. “Ah, yes! Think of it as writing some computer code. If you write it, people can look at it, but unless you execute it, nothing will actually happen.”

My expression must have conveyed how familiar I am with writing computer code.

She shrugs. “Or you can think of it as a request instead of an order. You convey the meaning of the order without adding the compulsion. Is that easier to understand?”

I nod and turn back to Shizune. “So does that mean that you can communicate with me now?”

Shizune looks at Ms. … No better get used to this right away... at Akane for a translation of my words. Right. This doesn't help her hearing at all.

Akane answers in Shizune's place. Apparently she's not as proficient in sign language as Misha by a long shot. “This form of communication is extremely limited. You can convey wishes or orders, but it is extremely hard to convey information this way. I tried to use it to talk to an Enchanter from the Atlantic Council I met at a conference once. He didn't speak Japanese and I didn't speak Portuguese. It was very difficult – at least until we got to a topic we didn't need any words at all for... I'm afraid we both missed the first part of the conference the next morning.”

Right. She doesn't seem to know the concept of too much information. Once again I 'hear' Shizune's 'voice' in my head, only it doesn't sound like a voice at all – more like a thought that is not my own. Please have a seat!

I hesitate for a second, just to make sure I could refuse if I wanted, then I sit down next to Shizune.

Akane walks to the opposite side of the table and sits down as well. “Most students are more interested in learning the control-aspect of Enchantment, but I'm not surprised that Shizune wanted to learn this trick first when I told her about it. She's been practising it all the time since Tuesday.” She translates her words for Shizune, but even I can tell that she's omitting a lot of stuff in between. “She's gotten really good at it, too.”

“But now I think it's time to move on to something else, so I brought Genjo and Goku today.” She points at the cage, while I suppress a smile. “Those are mine, so please take care with them!” I wonder if that last bit was actually a command.

She takes a small plastic bag from her pocket and hands it to Shizune. “Those are treats. They are absolutely crazy about them. Place a few in the cage and try to keep them from eating them for about ten minutes. Then you can let them have them. Afterwards you can let them out of the cage and order them to move about the room. They do need the exercise. Genjo is putting on a little too much weight.” She lowers her face to the cage. “Aren't you, Genjo?”

“Aren't you going to be here?”

“No, Takeshi asked me to help him with an experiment today, so I'll leave you two for about an hour. I'll trust you two not to do anything indecent without me. Oh, and one more thing...” She suddenly turns serious. “Hisao, you will only watch Shizune control my little cavys. See how different commands affect the magical aura. Do not try to undo what Shizune is doing and do not try to test your skills against each other. You remember what happened when you trained with that Conjurer girl? Good. Now imagine that book was the mind of a living being...”

She repeats the instructions in sign for Shizune, then excuses herself and leaves the two of us to our exercises.

Please look forward to chapter Twelve:
True To Your Heart
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sore wa himitsu desu.