Courage.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

The Laughing Man

Courage.

Post by The Laughing Man »

Hello again, chillllldren! It is I, The Laughing Man, ha ha ha...here to give you yet another bit of possibly poorly written fanfiction. Fun times, as always.

This little bit requires a brief introduction. I came up with the idea of a medieval Katawa Shoujo while floating around the shimmie, the forums, and running my own thread and browsing /tg/ while I waited. The end result is a world that exists solely in my head right now. The basic backstory is that Hisao has been somehow magically transported to this world, where Yamaku Adventuring Academy exists for students who have disabilities, but still wish to become productive adventurers. Hisao shows a unique characteristic, in that he can synchronize his soul to others, and borrow their strengths and powers in doing so. Sort of an Onion Knight, I guess. This is just a random amount of scribblefaggotry that I came up with last night, meant as an 'end' to an arc, one of many possible outcomes. And it lasted longer than I thought it would. But, I like the way it came out, so hopefully, you do too.

And now, without any further rambling out of me, enjoy this story, titled 'Courage.'
WAHAHAHA I AM USING THE INTERNET
The Laughing Man

Re: Courage.

The smoke began to clear on the battlefield. He stood in the distance, surrounded by his
undead minions. And there she was. Bleeding, battered, but still standing. She supported
most of her weight on her spear, and she coughed up a fair amount of blood. I rushed over
to her as quickly as I could, Misha at my side. I propped her up underneath her shoulder on
one side, Misha on the other. I could see Misha crying hysterically, frantically trying to
come up with a way to save her friend. I set her down against a smooth rock, trying to
dress her bleeding wounds.

I could see the purple outline of Rin hovering in the distance, holding up a psychic wall,
doing everything in her power to give us a few more moments. Emi continued to swing her
swords, no longer cursing and singing battle chants along with Misha, instead shouting a
wordless dirge at each zombie that she felled.

"Shicchan! Shicchan! Say something! Oh, you know what I mean, goddammit, get up!"

I watched as Shizune's eyes fluttered open. She coughed up more blood, and suddenly gripped
the hole in her chest where she was struck. I held her head in my hands, doing what I could
to ease her pain. I didn't have a chance to learn any healing spells from her, she focused
my training more on martial prowess. Something I failed to pick up on. She held both her
bloody hands up to Misha, and began to sign.

"I can't see very well...the smoke...Shicchan, don't strain yourself, we've got to get you
out of here! We've. Got. To. Get. You. Out. Of. Here!! You've got to get some healing!" Misha was becoming hysterical, her signing was becoming erratic.

"Misha, calm down. I need your help right now, and so does she. Shizune, can you walk?" I
asked her. I had to do what I could. As I spoke, I removed the vulneraries from my side
pouch meant for myself if I had a sudden heart attack. She needed them more. She saw me
doing this, administering medical attention as best as Lilly showed me.

"Hicchan...you're saving me? Always trying to best me, huh?" Misha's voice was still
sobbing.

"Haha, if I wanted to one-up you, I'd say something profound. Maybe 'the real leader has no
need to lead- he is content to point the way'."

"You...remembered that. The smoke...I can barely see you, Hicchan. Micchan, stop crying. It's unbecoming of a lady shut up Shicchan! You know how upset I am, and you know damn well why!"

"Both of you, stop it. Shizune, you need to just hold still for a minute." I poured the concotion on where she was slashed, and she grit her teeth in pain. As she shuddered, she reached out and grabbed my hand, and Misha's as well. It was a very bittersweet feeling for me. On one hand, I'm feeling closer to Shizune than ever before, and on the other hand, there's a very good chance she could die in my arms. I looked over to Misha, who was staring at me, a look of worry, fear, and something akin to jealous anger.

"Hicchan?" she said to me in a very neutral tone, her eyes locked on mine.

"Yeah?" I said, not wanting to break her gaze.

"I want you to know something. You're a very close friend of mine. And I would do anything for you."

"Misha, the same goes for you. I can't thank you enough for all the kindness the two of you have shown me."

"Which is why I can think of no better rival for Shizune's love."

Her sudden statement almost caused me to fall over in shock, but there was much more important things than discussing this right now. As the last of Shizune's convulsions stopped, she begrudgingly held herself on the ground with her hands, her warm fingers sliding out of my grasp. She held her head in her hands, staring at them for what felt like an eternity. She turned to stare at the battle still ongoing. Lilly in her White Lotus position, striking skeletons two at a time, Hanako at her backside, slashing at other undead. Rin, continuing to hold her psychic wall, her eyes pulsing with that purple light, her face straining under the stress of it all. She wouldn't be able to hold much longer. Emi was getting the worst of it. She kept fighting, panting heavily. I always though she was in good shape, even before I came here. She was coming down.

They needed a hero. As long as that lich stood there, casting eldritch spells, there would be no release. Her face tightened in resolve, and she signed to Misha.

"Help me up. Oh no, Shicchan, you can't be serious. Look in my eyes, Shiina. Don't fucking call me Shiina, that's when you're serious. Oh, Shicchan..." Misha's eyes were watering, as were Shizune's. I could only help her up. What other choices did I have? I knew that look in her eye. I couldn't talk her out of it. I withdrew my sword again, and gave her the same determined look that she gave me.

Misha took a deep breath in, and slowly withdrew her guitar/axe combination from her back, and held it in a battle stance.

"Shicchan, I really hope you know what you're doing." she said, smiling as best she could.

She nodded in response, then turned to me, signing to Misha, who translated without flinching a bit.

"Hisao, you're a one in a million type of guy. You were thrown into a world you knew nothing about, and you adapted splendidly. I hope you never make it home, because Light knows we could use someone like you. I say that in jest. I want you to go back to your time, and find this alternate me, and I want you to take her in your arms and I want you to give her the sky, and the stars, and the moon. Do all those things for her that you couldn't do for me."

"Come on, Shizune. There's still plenty of time. Let's get this guy, and I'll buy you a round, and you, me, and Misha can talk about this love triangle over drinks."

"Micchan understood long before you, Hicchan, that this heart of mine is hard. I'm a paladin. Than means putting the tenets of my faith first, and upholding the Greater Good. That's shit and you know it, Shicchan, you and I shared moments locked in passion that you told me were so good, you wanted to put your armor away forever. Yes, Hicchan, Shicchan and I had wild, passionate sex, and no, you can't watch. Wahahaha~!!!"

"I...wasn't planning on it, Misha." I remember turning bright red, even then. I suspected it for a while, when they insisted on sharing a room together. "As fascinating as this conversation is, we can have it another time. Shizune. You're the one who got back up, so you tell me what the plan is. I'll do my best to support you."

She turned to me, nodded and began to sign again. "I need you and Misha to clear a path for me so I can take the lich directly. Shicchan! NO! You can't go by yourself!" Misha became a little more upset again, but Shizune put a hand on her shoulder, which calmed her down, then went back to signing.

"I understand, Shicchan. I just don't like it...There's no other way. You and Hisao are going to have to clear a path for me. Can you do this, Misha? Yeah, I can do it, Shicchan! We can all do it! What about you, Hicchan?"

"Well, I'm not going to lie," I began, "I'm completely fucking terrified right now. But something about being here with the two of you, with all of you, my friends, fills me with courage."

Shizune nodded to me. "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. Wahahaha~ you said it, Shicchan! Now let's get to it! Once in a lifetime chance here, we'll be the ones who came back! Wahahahaha~!!! Now let's GIVE! THEM! HELL!!! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA~!"

Misha's laugh sounded more inspiring than the deepest war drums, and I couldn't help but follow her and Shizune in. Rin dropped her wall and collapsed to the ground, convulsing and spasming as Emi did everything in her power to protect her friend. I briefly wondered if she and Rin had the same relationship Shizune and Misha did. I didn't have much more time to think, because the battle had come full force at us.

I was never very strong with a sword, and I only did soccer to pass the time in class before my heart attack, but something was different this time. It was a real do or die situation. But at Shizune's side, with her looking me in the eye, I knew that I could do it. Misha took a few steps back and swung her guitaraxe in a wide swarth, cutting rotten flesh from bone, and began to strum her strings together, and sung with more soul than I had ever seen from her. Every note she played was a clash of sword, every verse she spoke was uttered with force. It lifted my spirits, and though I knew that Shizune couldn't hear the notes, I know that she could feel the soul. Shizune pierced through demon after undead after beast, her trusted spear shining in the darkness. I could see on her face that she was straining every inch of her body just standing, let alone fighting. Hearing Misha's song, I continued to fight with similar tenacity.

We began to pierce through the lines, after sickening crunches into the horde, as the lich master began to toss balls of black fire at us. I watched as they came at us, but they exploded in mid air at glowing transluscent shields. Rin was propped up against Emi, and her eyes continues to glow with psychic power.

"We're behind you, Hisao!" I heard Rin shout.

"Yeah! Punch that flaming lich in the jaw for me! FUCK HIM UP!!!" Emi responded, pumping her fists into the air.

Misha continued to sing a chant of victory, telling of riding through the darkest depths of hell and piercing through to the light. As she sang, I could see out of the corner of my eye as she started to glow. Her words became strange, and she continued to play her guitar faster and louder, crackling with bits of golden energy. Her words were hardly words at all, a language that I did not understand with my ears, but understood with my heart. It was as though she could sing emotions, stirring a deep reserve of courage, unyielding valor, and light that mortal words could not dare achieve. Hearing this, Shizune and I fought side by side, cutting and twirling over each other like a lover's waltz.

I thrused my sword behind her as she brought her spear to bear behind me, and we both saved each other's life in a moment that can only be explained as beautiful. As close as she was, I could only stare into her eyes, locked in that moment, as fireballs exploded and the moans of the damned screamed all around me, I could only think that she was the most beautiful woman I had ever met. We both retrieved our weapon from our most recent kills, and I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulled her close to me, and kissed her with the passion that she had put into me. She protested for an instant, probably because now was not the time for this, but she melted into me and kissed me back with that same force. Sweat was pouring from my head, and I wasn't sure how long my heart would hold out under this stress, but I would not be a man worthy of her attention if I didn't give it my all.

We kissed for what felt like another eternity, locked in a moment. She pulled away from my lips, sobbing and crying. She looked into my eyes with fear, worry, and doubt. I could not communicate with her in any other way than to hold my hand up in the universal 'I love you' symbol, and dry her tears as best I could. She slowly brought her hand up and mimicked my hands, saying 'I love you'. She turned from me and started to charge into the horde again, and I could only follow.

The lich could see us advancing towards him, and pointed a single bony finger at us, shouting "KILL THEMMMM...." in that raspy voice. At once, the rest of his minions came at us as he took to the air, flinging lightning bolts and blasts of more arcane energy. Rin continued to shield them, but her discs began to crack under the strain. I knew that she couldn't hold much longer, and her mind would slip soon. That was the LAST thing we needed.

I watched as Shizune turned to look past me, towards where Lilly and Hanako were fighting, a look of seriousness on her face. She turned the butt of her spear to the ground, and stamped it three times in quick succession, and Lilly turned to face us.

"Lilly! Set aside your differences and help us!" I called out to her. I didn't really know what else to say. She seemed to understand well enough, and began to make her way towards up, spinning, kicking, and cartwheeling like a dancer. It was all just a wild dance at that point, and the lich was the composer. Shizune ran forward, continuing to tap her spear on the ground. I started to understand why, with Lilly's sensitive hearing, she could pinpoint her location.

I kept the hordes of the undead away as best I could. Every time I wanted to collapse and quit, Misha's song kept me in the fight. Every time I thought my heart would give out, that wordless song kept my spirits high. I turned to see her face straining and her palms turning red with each strum, each note. Even in this horrible situation, I could still see how beautiful she was, her drills bobbing and weaving as her whole body moved in rhythm with her song. How long had she been playing? How long could she keep going? I could see her crying. She was singing such a beautiful song, one that would rival a choir of a thousand angels, and yet she was crying. She knew something. Something I couldn't see.

I stood beside Lilly and Shizune, sword at the ready. Shizune stared upward, at the lich master, taunting us as he hovered in the air. She turned towards Lilly, tapped her spear on the ground again, and held a fist out. Lilly seemed to understand this, and brought her tattered fist to bear, tapping it against Shizune's. I stopped dead in my tracks. I almost wanted to cheer, the two of them getting along in one glorious moment.

"Hisao...I can feel her chi, her soul, and there's a message she wants me to pass along to you." Lilly said to me, her face turned towards Shizune's.

I suddenly had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. "What would that message be?" I managed to spit out, swallowing deeply.

"Rise above the storms, and you will find the sunshine. Be excellent, my love."

Before I could even have a chance to react, Lilly and Shizune's arms intertwined, and the two of them began to spin in place, picking up momentum that knocked me backwards. They ran faster and faster, until Shizune was lifted into Lilly's grasp, and I remember screaming something to her, but I don't recall what, or if I said anything at all. As quickly as their dance had begun, Lilly released Shizune, and she became airborne, holding her spear at her side in perfect stance.

I watched as she broke above the ravenous hordes of undead, like a magnificent marlin breaking the surface of the water. I watched as she actually began to shout a wordless battle cry. Her voice was beautiful in the way that a thunderstorm is deadly. I watched on as the lich master attempted to bring some form of black magic to bear against her. I watched on as tears streamed from her eyes, her heart glowing with a bright light that poured onto her body, and peaked at the tip of her spear. I watched on as Misha continued her song, sobbing and crying, but her voice unwavering as she continued to play. I watched on as Shizune's spear struck this villain in his tracks, piercing through the darkness with a bright light, the same light that lit the path of righteousness, the same path that leads to a brighter tomorrow. I watched on as she twisted that undead abomination towards the ground, and came crashing down upon him, bursting in a ball of light that almost blinded me.

I don't remember much after that, the smoke was too great. I remember Misha slumping to the ground, holding her sides and I think she was having a panic attack or a breakdown. I remember each of the minions exploding and falling apart as light burst forth from them. I remember slumping to the ground, clutching my chest. I think I was having another heart attack, but it felt more than that. I could feel my heart breaking. I remember Rin and Emi ran over to me, and Rin was doing something psychic to me, to keep me alive. I remember Emi taking off that tricorner hat and placing it against her chest. I don't remember much more, I passed out after that.

I remember waking up in the infirmary, bandages covering all my wounds. Misha was there beside me, watching me. As my eyes fluttered open, I struggled to adjust to the light."What happened?" I asked, holding my sides.

"We made it...Hicchan," she began, "We made it home. But...we lost something along the way."

"No..." was all I could choke out. Misha collapsed on top of me, and I think one of my wounds reopened, but I didn't care. All I could do was hold Misha as she sobbed on top of me. I cried, too. We both sat there and cried and cried until we ran out of tears.

The service was a day later, after our wounds had healed enough to walk around again. Rin's threshold broke again, and she had to spend a several hours in isolation as she recuperated. Hanako made it out okay, Lilly broke a few ribs. Emi suffered from exhaustion. We were all lucky to be alive, as the Nurse made sure to tell us all. I didn't feel very lucky.

It was a grand display. The officials for her church were there, and the head priest spoke of her deeds, and told her tale. Hideaki was there, dressed in wizard's robes, and Akira stood next to him in finery, a hand on his shoulder as he stood and cried. There were doves that flew overhead, I had Kenji see to that. Misha stood before the crowd, dressed in what was actually quite nice, and played her funeral dirge, a soft song that spoke of returning home, where her spirit would be at ease until the rest of us passed along through the veil of death. It was not a sad song, it was very pleasant to listen to as her voice wailed on in mourning of her companion, and in celebration for the next stage. Tears streamed from her eyes as she played, and I stood in the crowd and cried harder than I've ever cried before. Lilly comforted me, and I could see that she was crying, too. Most everyone was. I even saw Emi crying in the distance, something I would never expect out of someone as rough and tumble as her.

The casket was laid down, and one by one, people began to disperse, offering condolences and such, until it was just me and Misha standing over her grave. We stood in silence for a while, neither of us wanting to say anything. There wasn't anything to say, really. We both knew what had happened. She gave her life so that others could live.

"Hisao?" she said to me, eyes unwavering.

"Yeah, Misha?"

"What are you going to do with your reward?" she asked me, her voice at a low whisper.

"I don't know. The king gave us all quite a bit. I think Emi was going to buy an airship with Rin. I wouldn't really know what to do with all this gold."

"I...don't know either. I wanted...to buy a house. In the countryside, to farm on. With my Shicchan...but now...I don't know. I just don't know what to do..."

I set a hand on her shoulder. "I think I have an idea." I said to her.

"Thank you, Hicchan...thank you so much..." she said, stifling another sob, and she set her head on my chest as we sat by Shizune's grave and watched the sun set and the stars dot the sky.

I remember bringing her back to her dorm room, but she didn't want to go. "It's still to soon, Hicchan...can I stay with you tonight? I don't want to be alone. I need someone. I need you." her eyes spoke volumes of what she wanted. I swallowed hard, and offered her my hand.

"My lady, it would be an honor." I said shakingly, in my best gentleman's voice.

She smiled, and actually laughed. "Wahahaha~!! Hicchan, you're such a weird one. But that's
what I like about you."

I brought her back to my room, and I don't think I need to tell you all what happened from there. I felt so guilty, and so terrible, and Misha told me the same. But we both needed someone at that moment, so we both fell into guilt together.

"She wanted you to be happy, Hicchan..." she whispered to me in the darkness, her body wrapping around mine like a bandage.

"She wanted the same for you, Misha..." I said, panting heavily.

"You...still owe me a drink, Hicchan..." she said, moaning and breathing quickly.

"To...morrow. Right now...let's not talk..." I said, concentrating heavily.

"I love you...Hisao..." she whispered.

"I love you...hnnng....Misha..." I managed to grunt out.

That night was the start of what Misha wouldn't come out and admit to, but our relationship. We went to a stonemason that next morning, and after spending a pile of gold, our masterpiece was completed a week later.

To this day, there is a fountain in the town square, outside the church that Shizune trained and worshipped in. It is of a girl wearing scale armor, holding a longspear, pointing towards the east, to the rising sun. She is standing proud, stoic, and a look of intense determination on her face. At the base, a single inscription reads:

'A hero is more than a person, a hero is a belief. A belief that, against impossible odds, the world can be saved, and that the world is still worth saving. Heroes inspire that belief in us. They renew our faith and give us that most precious of all gifts—

Hope.

-Shizune Hakamichi, loyal paladin, stalward guardian, and trusted friend'

The fountain is a place that the students of Yamaku Adventuring Academy go to when they are in need of spiritual guidance, and it has not failed them yet. When the students need courage, they stare at the face of a student who taught more in a moment than they could learn in a lifetime.

And underneath the inscription of words that Shizune once spoke to me, reads one more hand carved inscription:

'Rise above the universe, my starchaser'

FIN
callmeemo

Post by callmeemo »

Beautiful piece, man. Worth every minute.
"From far away, it looks like someone vomited a herd of butterflies on the wall."
Jojje

Post by Jojje »

The Laughing Man wrote:Misha took a deep breath in, and slowly withdrew her guitar/axe combination from her back, and held it in a battle stance.
A good roadie knows his whole job is to make someone else look good, help someone else do what they were put here to do. :D
I love these otherworldly fics, great job
"Yeah, I like doing it in a horizontal position more, if you know what I mean.
But it can't be helped, can't ask the wall to lay down."
The Laughing Man

Jojje wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:Misha took a deep breath in, and slowly withdrew her guitar/axe combination from her back, and held it in a battle stance.
A good roadie knows his whole job is to make someone else look good, help someone else do what they were put here to do. :D
I love these otherworldly fics, great job
I actually have a slight confession, I've used a guitaraxe in a D&D campaign before, as a bard. Nowhere near as awesome as Misha, but I still took the idea. The Misha in this world is a lot louder than the traditional one. I wanted to give her a rocker girl feel to her, and I had to fight the urge to have her sing metal lyrics. Maybe in the actual thread.

Also, glad you liked it.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

That was...beautiful. Simply beautiful. I hope to write as well as you do someday.
The Laughing Man

Elroy wrote:That was...beautiful. Simply beautiful. I hope to write as well as you do someday.
You give me far too much credit, friend. This was, believe it or not, mostly done on the fly, as pretty much all my threads and writings are. I just kind of go with the flow, so to speak.

Best advice I can give is to just keep writing, and you'll get better as you do so. And have fun with it. I had a blast imagining Misha jamming out on a guitaraxe.
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

Thanks for the advice! Can't help but ask, but do you have a thing for Misha/Shizune? This and your regular threads seem more M/S oriented.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Hmm, however there's a bit of name mistake. Misha > Shizune, Shizune > Misha, I see them over and over.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
The Laughing Man

Elroy wrote:Thanks for the advice! Can't help but ask, but do you have a thing for Misha/Shizune? This and your regular threads seem more M/S oriented.
A little bit. Misha reminds me a lot of my current girlfriend, so I do tend to lean towards her, and since she doesn't have a full path for whatever reason, I figured I'd give her one. As I've said before, I want to shift towards Lilly in my threads, but I don't want to railroad and fantasy circlejerk. I also wrote a Rin story that's floating around here somewhere, I think it was actually my first post.

But yeah, Misha is my favorite. But I like the other girls. Except Emi, she knows what the fuck she did. Haha, I kid, of course.
The Laughing Man

Xuan wrote:Hmm, however there's a bit of name mistake. Misha > Shizune, Shizune > Misha, I see them over and over.
I'll write a Hanako one, next, I wanted her to be a sneaky, vindictive rogue/stealth type. Everyone seems to like her.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Awww. :) Or d'awww. I'd like to say something more articulate rather than onewordpost plus emoticon of questionable value, but I'm afraid this is all I can manage now.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Jojje

Post by Jojje »

The Laughing Man wrote:I actually have a slight confession, I've used a guitaraxe in a D&D campaign before, as a bard. Nowhere near as awesome as Misha, but I still took the idea. The Misha in this world is a lot louder than the traditional one. I wanted to give her a rocker girl feel to her, and I had to fight the urge to have her sing metal lyrics. Maybe in the actual thread.

Also, glad you liked it.
So no Brütal Legend reference? :( Oh well I'm gonna pretend it is.
Battlebard and guitaraxe sounds epic anyway so who cares
"Yeah, I like doing it in a horizontal position more, if you know what I mean.
But it can't be helped, can't ask the wall to lay down."
The Laughing Man

Jojje wrote:So no Brütal Legend reference? :( Oh well I'm gonna pretend it is.
I briefly thought about it. I haven't played it yet, but I've wanted to. Until then,

"SONS OF THE GODS
TODAY WE SHALL DIE
OPEN VALHALLA'S DOOOOOOR
LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
WITH SWORDS IN THE WIND
HAIL! GODS OF WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!!"
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

The Laughing Man wrote:
Jojje wrote:So no Brütal Legend reference? :( Oh well I'm gonna pretend it is.
I briefly thought about it. I haven't played it yet, but I've wanted to. Until then,

"SONS OF THE GODS
TODAY WE SHALL DIE
OPEN VALHALLA'S DOOOOOOR
LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
WITH SWORDS IN THE WIND
HAIL! GODS OF WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!!!!"
yea i thinkt heres ONLY one word that describes this and that would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"