A Probably Dumb Question About Posting FanFic

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Sadako

A Probably Dumb Question About Posting FanFic

Post by Sadako »

Firstly, please let me apologise in advance if the answer to this question is already part of a FAQ somewhere. I’ve not been able to find it, but that’s no indication it’s not there. I may just be an idiot.

Anyway, here goes… Like many KS fans I’ve been working on a story of my own. It’s about a third done, five chapters / 8800-ish words. I’ve put it up on AO3.

So, is it okay to just post a link to the story, or is it the done thing to put the whole text up on the forum instead? Or both?

I’ve not been here long, I’m not sure about the etiquette on this, and I don’t want to screw up.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: A Probably Dumb Question About Posting FanFic

Post by Silentcook »

You can do it whichever way you like. All of the alternatives you mentioned are present on the forums. Reader preference seems to favor having the text posted onsite, somewhat.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Thanks very much for the reply!

Okay, I’ll start by posting the link in the next couple of days, see if there’s any reaction and go from there… :D
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Reader with a strong preferrence to have the story on-site here.
If the author can't be bothered to at least copy paste their story here, then I can't usually be bothered to read it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

I have a strong preference for posting on-site because I like my comments and the text to be in the same place, for ease of discussion etc. Seems odd to be making comments on material that's not present. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
jjm152

Post by jjm152 »

It doesn't really matter. If a story is good people will read it no matter where you put it (just so long as they know about it). I have a story for this fandom on a website that many people have told me they absolutely hate. It still gets thousands of unique visitors a month. So meh.

Do whatever you want.
Sadako

Post by Sadako »

Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess the morale of this story is ‘Different strokes for Different Folks.’

I think the best compromise is to do both – stick a link to AO3 up and then post the chapters on the forum too. Might take a bit of work to get the formatting right, but you never know until you try…