KS Writing Club: Cherry Blossoms (Updated 07/24/15)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Decadent Albatros

Re: KS Writing Club: Cherry Blossoms (Updated 07/02/15)

Post by Decadent Albatros »

And here is part 6! Hope you all enjoy it! ^^

---------------------------------------------------------

[...]

"... I suppose running will help me clear my mind," I whisper as I set my alarm clock to wake me early in the morning. I remember trying to run with Emi earlier this year, but I stopped doing it on the first flutter I got. It's a shame; I could use some exercise but that's not the point of why I'm doing it. Running will help me relax and make me forget about bad thoughts. Who knows, I might feel better after running those four laps.

[Daylight](

The loud and annoying sound of my alarm-clock wakes me up, drawing a loud groan from me. Getting up so early in the morning is not something I do on a regular basis, but my current situation is everything but regular and normal. The bright red numbers of the alarm continue flashing, almost as if mocking me. I promised myself I’d do this. It's something I have to do in order to make myself feel better and to survive this unfortunate period I'm in.

The fact that I might meet again Emi in the mornings make me feel uneasy, since she probably still remembers me quitting our morning runs. She will probably tease me about that, maybe even shout at me. The idea of her assaulting me makes me shudder a bit, since the last time she tackled me I almost had a heart attack.

Part of me wants to quit, avoid meeting her, but the other part knows that she doesn't mean ill. For what I know about her, she already has a partial idea of my current situation... but to be honest, I really don't feel like talking to her about it.

The idea that Hanako is hiding something from me, calling Lilly behind my back frightens me. Maybe it's just me being paranoid and over thinking this whole scenario. Regardless, I want to take part on at least one of those conversations. It shouldn't be so bad, I bet Hana will be fine with it... if I approach it without admitting that I learned about her phone calls from someone who was spying on her. Whatever, that is a thought for another time. Right now I need to focus on running. I need to shove every other thought aside and get ready for this. I quickly put on my running shorts and a white t-shirt and off to the running track.

The fresh morning breeze makes me shiver, I didn't expect it to be so cold outside! I start jogging on my way to the benches next to the track, hoping that as I warm up I'll push away the cold that keeps bothering me. While I approach my destination, my ears catch a very familiar sound. Fast, metallic, and energetic, it all indicates that Emi is indeed there and keeps sprinting like it's the only thing keeping her alive. She always surprises me, but today I'm not here to marvel myself in front of the 'Fastest thing on no legs', but to do something productive for both my body and, more importantly, my psyche.

I start warming up, putting in practice years of physical education classes and what little that Emi thought me. As I finish stretching my neck, I see her approaching me with her ever-wide grin and energy. It looks like the laps around the track that she did didn't manage to make her tired.

[Hokabi](

"Look who's back," she teases, making me look away and sigh. Yup, I couldn't have done anything to stop this from happening. "Who do I need to thank for seeing your face here again?" she asks, assuming an even bigger grin and winking an eye in my direction.

"I... supposed that running would help me, with something," is what I answer, trying not to spill any details out. It's not like I hate her; on the contrary, I like Emi. It's just that I want to solve this with Hana, since it's between us.

"Ok...If that's what you wish, I'm not going to force it out of you," she says blandly. "So, wanna get going, or you're gonna wait for the rain to catch us?"

I don't even bother answering since, once I'm done warming up I immediately start my morning running session.
The laps seem endless. I definitely know that not running for all of these months didn't do well to my running capabilities. My legs hurt, my breath is short and I feel like I could get a flutter any second now. I'm on my third lap, I'm so close to the end that I must do it regardless of the pain that is causing me. My feet seem to be moving on their own, while I try to keep up the pace and so keeping at bay every other thought. It's just me and the running track. For now there's no Hanako, no Yamaku, no Kenji and his spying; the only thing that exists in my head and that keeps me moving is the gratification of fulfilling my daily goal.

Here we are, fourth lap. I don't even try glancing at Emi since it would probably make me feel inferior to her. Hell, she might be on her twentieth lap and laughing at me in the meanwhile. Whatever, she can laugh all she wants for all I care. I'm close, the finish line is barely fifteen meters away. Just as I touch the finish line like I feel I'm overcome with joy,as if glad that I managed to reach my limit and fulfilled my task. The four laps are done and even thought this is nothing too major for a normal person, it's a huge accomplishment for me.

As I begin to cool down, I hear Emi clapping in my direction, apparently happy that I did all of the laps. I might be almost dead and with no energy left in my body, but I completed my quest and I feel good with myself. I remember her talking about the 'runner’s high' and I think this might be it. It's a good feeling. I proud of the fact that I woke up early to do this. In a few minutes I'm done with cooling down, so I make my way to the Nurse, leaving Emi alone with her sprinting.
The medical check-up is quick, leaving me with enough time to take a shower and to get ready for the morning lessons. I have no exams today, though it should be a good idea keeping my focus high. I surely don't want to screw up my marks if I plan on attending the science courses of the university I plan on going.

The ringing of the bell signals the beginning of the lesson, which means I barely made it in time. I sit in my seat just as Mutou walks in with his usual uninterested expression. No one is missing, which is interesting since most of the times there's always someone who decided to deny us of his, or her, presence.
I turn my head towards Hanako, which promptly gives me a smile. The attention doesn't last very long, since immediately after she turns her head towards her notebook, apprently trying to focus on taking notes. She never fails to amaze me with her determination, that also reminds me that I should do the same. Part of me agrees with that statement, thought the other knows that I'll struggle in keeping my attention on the lesson. Today will be a long, long day, I suppose.

[School Days](

As the lunch bell rings I make my way to Hanako, hoping to spend some time with her and ask some questions. I really need to arrange something with her and Lilly.

"H-Hisao?"

"Hey, wanna spend lunch together?" is what I come up with. I enjoy spending lunches with her, but this time my suggestion has a clear purpose.
"Sure," she says with a sweet smiles after some seconds of silence.Not wanting to waste a single minute, I take my lunch and go with Hanako to the tea room.

Once there, I immediately feel a sense of nostalgia, remembering my first meeting with Lilly, the first few lunches with her and Hanako, and my first chess match with her. All of this seems like ages ago, almost like I wasn't myself when these events happened. Maybe one of the things I'll have the most trouble dealing with once I'll be done with Yamaku will be abandoning the places that forged my young-manhood.

Just as my mind returns to the real world, I notice that Hanako is already preparing the tea. With calm and precise movements, she immediately makes me remember that the tea set she is using is the same one that we used when Lilly was around. The moments are still vivid in my head, yet they don't provoke any sadness or nostalgia. I'm happy that I was lucky enough to meet her and I bet Hanako feels the same, if not even more. I turn my head and notice the chessboard that was standing on a shelf and immediately pick it and put in on the table. The sound makes Hana turn around, only to slightly grin at the sight of it.

"I was thinking that it would be nice to play, once in a while," I say just as she comes back with the tea and her sandwiches. It's not a surprise that she accepts, not only because she is so good at it, but also because chess carries a lot of memories to her. We soon begin playing, so focused on not making a single mistake that we almost forget to eat. Between one move and the other I munch on my sandwich and sip on the tea, hoping that I last at least a while against Hanako. We don't speak, only eat and play.

Soon enough she has a clear advantage over me, while I barely manage to break her defenses. One by one my army gets smaller and smaller, until my king is in checkmate. I sigh, though I expected a defeat on my part.

"I guess I never stood a chance," I sigh, which draws a small chuckle from Hanako.

"You're not that bad... It was pretty close."

"Hah, yeah right... Oh well, good game." After that I get up and start cleaning up, knowing that the lunch break is about to be over. "Listen, I was thinking... how about we arrange a group call with Lilly? It's been awhile since I called her."

"I... I think that would be nice," she says just as she's done with putting away our saucers and the teapot. "She will enjoy it." And with that, silence falls upon the room, leaving us to the cleaning duty and getting ready to walk towards our class.
The bell rings just as we're finished putting back everything in its original place. We hurry to our class, trying to avoid any weird ideas that people might get by seeing both of us coming late to class.

I gingerly open the door and, as I see that Mutou is not in the classroom, hurry up and sit in my place. I turn my head in Hana's direction and smile, hoping that this will do in order to replace a traditional 'See you later'. Thankfully, barely before the teacher comes into the room, she gives me a nod which I take as her way to say 'See you later' back to me. With that done, I brace myself to the last rush of the day before finally being able to enjoy myself in the afternoon.
The ringing of the bells cuts off the teacher's lesson, which has stopped trying to grab everyone's attention since they are already up and ready to leave the classroom. I'm still in my place, mostly because I have to write something down because I lost too much time in asking questions. I'm finished after a few minutes, so I start packing my things up.

I still don't have a clear idea on what I will spend my evening. If Hanako's busy, I will probably just read a book and study, which certainly won't hurt since I really don't want to lose momentum going into the last part of the school year.

As I'm about to leave, I hear a voice coming from the hallway. I can't even turn my head towards the source of the sound, as I'm tackled from behind. It takes a large effort to not fall down and maintain a steady heartbeat. After a couple of seconds, I'm ready to confront whomever assaulted me, which turns out to be Emi. She quickly assumes her usual 'hurt puppy' look. As she realizes that I'm fine, she once again beams with energy and begins to speak.

[Hokabi](

"Sorry about that! I was thinking... that maybe I could invite you to eat dinner with us! You know, I don't see you around much, so I thought that it would do you well to change your routine a bit!"

At first I'm ready to refuse, but the more I think about it and the more it begins to be appealing. Maybe I am around Hanako too much and spending some time with someone else might do me good. The meeting with Lilly is doable, even Hanako said that, so I don't have to worry too much about that. I wonder, am I willing to spend an entire evening with Emi and Rin?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choice:

A) Spend dinner with Emi and Rin

B) Refuse and ask Hanako if she wants go hang out.

Strawpool:
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

So... One question:
WHEN is this story supposed to take place? Every chapter I read seems to contradict the last:

Is this set directly after Hanako's good end? Because at times they seem to assume that nobody noticed they are together yet.
Is it set shortly before the summer holidays? Because Lilly has already left for Scotland and the weather seems to be hot.
Is it set after the summer holidays? Because he hasn't been running for "several months".
Is it set the next year in February? Because the story says it is shortly before graduation.

Turned out to be more than one question after all, but it would be nice to know. ^^°
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

I voted for the dinner, just so I can see how far down the rabbit hole we can push our writers down. :mrgreen:
OneManArmy77

Post by OneManArmy77 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So... One question:
WHEN is this story supposed to take place? Every chapter I read seems to contradict the last:

Is this set directly after Hanako's good end? Because at times they seem to assume that nobody noticed they are together yet.
Is it set shortly before the summer holidays? Because Lilly has already left for Scotland and the weather seems to be hot.
Is it set after the summer holidays? Because he hasn't been running for "several months".
Is it set the next year in February? Because the story says it is shortly before graduation.

Turned out to be more than one question after all, but it would be nice to know. ^^°
Ok, so Ill attempt to explain what happened and what our version of the story is. Put simply, I didnt and still dont know enough about Japanese culture nor when the time frame was originally, so the fault starts with me. This is set after Hanako's good end, but our idea is that Hisao and Hanako arent very public with their relationship overall and certainly dont broadcast it much, so I dont mind my writers taking a little artistic liberty there.

This was supposed to be set around March or so. Lilly has left for Scotland. Part of the problem is that I and many of the writers are not familiar with Japan and its weather. As such, I am prone to basing it off of NYC weather, which means that Spring can be cold usually, but also very temperate as well. Some of this is also just inconsistencies between writers, as everyone comes in with a slightly different idea of what the weather is like.

The whole running thing is very much up for interpretation, as he isnt shown to continue running in any route outside of Emi's, so although I dont quite know what my writer was thinking, Its likely that he hasnt run in awhile.

It is supposed to be set late February/early March pre graduation.

Sorry for the confusion and continuity issues, and I hope that helps slightly. Its what happens when Im not as on top of the setting as Id like.
HoneyBakedHam wrote:I voted for the dinner, just so I can see how far down the rabbit hole we can push our writers down. :mrgreen:
And of course Im writing next. On the bright side, you give me a very, very funny idea of what I want to do if you guys pick Hanako over Emi.
OneManArmy77

Re: KS Writing Club: Cherry Blossoms (Updated 07/15/15)

Post by OneManArmy77 »

Sorry for the delay, but I had a rather busy week. Here is the next chapter!

(Daylight)[

“Sorry Emi, but I’m going to have to pass.” I think for a second before realizing Emi’s persistence won’t stop there. “I already promised Hanako that I’d spend some time with her later.”

Emi pouts, contorting her face as if someone had stuck a particularly sour lime in her mouth. She appraises me, carefully studying my expression. Right before I’m about to admit that I don’t actually have plans, she hops up, apparently sated with her search.

“Ok, but next time for sure, right?”

“Yeah, of course.” Emi shines me a bright smile before bouncing down the hallway. I allow a quick sigh of relief to escape my lungs once I’m confident she’s out of sight. I gather my bag up off the tiled floor before swinging it over my shoulder. One of the nice things about Hanako is that she is nothing if not predictable with her routine. I slowly pass a couple of stragglers leaving class before strolling into the library.

Taking a moment to peer over the library desk, I find no trace of Yuuko anywhere. Given the return cart is missing, she must be out restocking the shelves right now. I turn towards the back of the library to find Hanako and resume my search. I prop my head up on the end of one of the aisles, using Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet as a place to rest my chin. As usual, she is curled up on one of the beanbags, clutching what appears to be a book about journalism and design. The light filters down from the nearby window, casting the rich yellow light across the floor of the library. Hanako has seated herself to take advantage of the natural lighting, allowing the book to be illuminated by the sunny afternoon without subjecting herself to the same light. I’m tempted to just leave her be, but eventually I decide to break the pleasant silence. I drum my fingers on the top of the shelf, rolling my hand across the light colored wood.

Hanako quickly turns her head towards the offending noise, locking eyes with me for a moment. She instinctively shoves the book between us, shielding her violet eyes. I feel a tiny grin creep across my face as I plop myself down on the floor beside her. She glances over at me before resuming her book.

(Stride)[

“Hey Hanako.”

“Hi.” She keeps her eyes glued to the page, purposely avoiding me as I shift my body to face her. I can tell she’s not doing a great job of it though, as I see violet streaks dart back and forth, attempting to straddle the gap between the two objects of interest. She gives me a frustrated sigh before closing the book, cradling it in her lap and resting her fidgeting hands over the cover. Hanako turns to me slowly. “W-What is it?”

“Well, if you must know,” I chide playfully, “I was thinking that you and I could go out to the Shanghai tonight and enjoy some time away from school.” I look towards Hanako’s face, expecting to see a sign that she is interested and happy to join. I’ll admit that I was also expecting a reclusive, disappointed or even annoyed response too. Instead I’m met with a cold poker face, not unlike the range of expressions I see from Rin. I watch as she takes a deep breath, then a second before staring of into an uninhabited corner of the library.

“S-Sorry but I don’t t-think I can make it. The newspaper club is h-helping out with the yearbook committee since they are behind schedule.” Her voice is tinged with subtle echoes of sadness and without ever saying sorry, Hanako sounds like she is apologizing to me. It’s clear she doesn’t want to make eye contact with me and I get the feeling I’m not going to get a good explanation for why she is so distant right now.

It can’t hurt to press a little more, can it? “Are you sure? I can wait a bit longer, and it’s not like I have other plans tonight.” Regretting my phrasing, I bite my lip at how desperate I sound. I make a mental note to go out pick up another hobby outside of spending time with Hanako and reading. Thankfully, Hanako doesn’t seem to be telepathic nor able to see my expression. She thinks for a moment before cocking her head to the side and turning back towards me.

“I g-guess I could try but I don’t know how long it's going to take. I definitely won’t be done until 7, so I could try to meet you at 8…” Her voice trails off, giving me an opportunity to interject.

“8 should be fine. I can head over to the Shanghai and wait for you there while I finish up some homework.” Hanako’s stony facade begins to crack again, as her eyes light up. It occurs to me that her initial reluctance wasn’t just an act to avoid me. Getting some positive confirmation from Hanako, I figure now is probably a good time to let her resume her book. I slowly pick myself off the floor, dusting off my pants. “Ok, well I need to go and start some homework. I’ll see you later tonight.”

She gives me a small nod before returning to her book. I slowly steal my way out of the library, careful not to draw unwanted attention to myself.

(Hokabi)[

As I return from my forray into the library, I hear an unfamiliar sound emanating from my pocket. I reach deep into the folds of my pocket and pull out my plain blue cellphone. Flipping it open, I can see the caller ID is from my parents’ residence. I can feel my heart sink into my stomach as I realize that I haven’t called them in at least a month, if not two. Checking that the door is still locked, I take a breath before slamming my finger on the tiny green button on the fingerpad.

“Hello?”

“HICCHANIT’SSOGOODTOHEARYOUIHAVEN’THEARDYOUINAGESWHYHAVEN’TYOUCALLED-”

Here we go again.

“Mom.”

“ANDYOUKNOWTHATWETOLDYOUTOCALLONCEAMONTHATLEASTSOWHYWOULDNTJUSTCALLTOCHECKINONCEINAWHILE-”

“Mom.”

“WEWERESOWORRIEDBUTWEDIDN’TWANTTODISTURBYOUORNAGYOUBUTYOUJUSTNEVERCALLANDYOUKNOWHOWIGET-”

“MOOOOOOOOOOM!” Silence on the other end. It’s a 50/50 proposition whether she yells at me for not letting her vent or whether she forgets anything actually happened.

“Yes?” I guess I got lucky this time.

“Hi mom, sorry I didn’t call earlier, but it just slipped my mind. I’ve been rather busy at school so I just kept putting it off and eventually forgot about it. Before you ask, yes I’m fine, no I didn’t get sick and my grades were good this semester.”

“But what about-”

“No, I don’t need you to do my laundry or cook me dinner.”

“Shut up Hisao, that’s not what I was going to say!” she says in a more teasing than annoyed tone.

I pause for a moment. This isn’t going according to the script. This isn’t going according to the script at all. In the year or so I’ve been here, every conversation has been the same scripted conversation intro. Its as scripted as an automated phone menu: you press the same sequence of buttons and eventually reach a point where there’s a real human on the other end asking you ‘what’s the problem’.

“Hisao, I wanted to know how your girlfriend is doing! You know we still haven’t met this Hanako person and this is the longest you’ve had a relationship since that Iwanako girl.”

I’m glad I’m in my room, because my face is more red than the over ripened tomatoes the cafeteria serves in their salads. The genuine tone in her voice coupled with the teasing attitude really don’t help either. I guess it’s only natural that my parents take an active interest in Hanako. I haven’t told them much about her aside the fact that she’s shy and sweet and I was hoping to have this discussion later, but I suppose it can’t be avoided.

“Ummmmmmmmm, well she is doing fine. She’s a little tired from finals so we haven’t talked much recently, but things are going well.” I carefully neglect to mention the rocky patch the two of us seem to have stumbled into and our communication issues.

“Well, your father and I would love to meet her, you know,” she chides, “so we were hoping to come and see you two this weekend. Your father heard that the cherry blossoms in Hokkaido are blooming early this year with all the warm weather this year, so I thought we could spend the weekend there together… you know, as a family. That is, of course, if you two are free this weekend.”

If my cheeks weren’t crimson before, then hearing them refer to Hanako as family means they certainly are now. There’s gotta be a catch, right? They didn’t call Iwanako that, for starters.

“Why?” It isn’t so much a question as a statement.

“Well, I just said, your father and I would like to get to know-”

“No, not why you want to meet her, why are you calling her family all of a sudden?” The phone line goes silent for a couple seconds. I can hear my own rhythmic breathing as I wait with bated breath for the answer. Finally, the receiver crackles with life again.

“Well, your father and I have been thinking. Even with our relatively short conversations, I can tell you are a lot happier now than you’ve been since your accident. We were worried with how depressed and withdrawn you were in the hospital, so anyone that can make my Hicchan happy is family enough for me.”

I’ll be the first to admit that it’s slightly concerning to hear that I could be read like an open book, but that feeling gets washed away quickly in wake of hearing my mom’s understanding and acceptance. It’s times like these that you really appreciate family. There’s hope that I can share this feeling with Hanako too, of course.

“Thanks, mom.” It’s short and insufficient, but all I can manage at the moment. “I know I’m free this weekend, so I’ll go and check with Hanako and then get back to you about setting up the trip.”

“Take your time Hicchan, but if you can find out by sometime tomorrow, that would be good. I have to go meet your father at work so we can head to dinner, so please remember to call me back soon. I love you Hisao.”

“I love you too, mom. Talk to you later.” I let out a sigh as the other side of the line goes dead. I should probably stop leaving my parents out of everything when they obviously want to help.

*click*

(Nocturne)[

After finishing my english homework, I take a look at the time and realize I should probably head over to the Shanghai soon for dinner. Hanako hasn’t called, but that’s to be expected since it’s only 7:15 right now. I double check the weather before deciding to leave my umbrella by the door. One click in the door and the lock slides into place, not that it would stop one of my more annoying neighbors anyway. I slowly trudge out the door with my bag in tow and continue towards the over-designed gate at the front of campus.

When I arrive at the Shanghai, its almost dark. The once benign clouds have decided to renege on their promise, dusting the town in a fine drizzle, the drops illuminated by the faint glow of the orange streetlamps. I slowly lower the side of my head to the table and drum my fingers, rattling the porcelain saucer that hangs like a halo above my head. The coffee cup at the end of the table looks lonely without the two that preceded it. An obnoxious beep from my pocket snaps me from my trance, forcing me to retrieve the bulky cell phone from the recesses of my pocket. I flip the top over to reveal an email from Hanako.

‘Sorry Hisao, but the meeting is running late, and I don’t think I can make it to dinner. Meet at my room at 9 for the Lilly phone call. Ill see you tomorrow!’

Well, can’t say I didn’t see that coming. I start to pack up the textbook and various school implements scattered on the table, but stop when I hear the crackle of thunder resounding against the window pane. No umbrella means I’m stuck for the moment unless I want to chance the mercurial weather. With a heavy sigh, I resign myself to staying put and working on completing what little homework I have left. I’m about to replace the heavy textbook on the table when I hear the doorbell jingle, immediately followed by the clatter of a metal teapot against the stained wood floor. Yuuko’s apologies soon follow as a couple of the patrons turn their heads to identify the source of the commotion. I steal a quick glance towards the front of the restaurant and immediately regret my decision.

(Standing Tall)[

My curiosity is met by a soaking wet Emi and Rin, the former of whom proceeds to stare back at me. Her face contorts itself: first surprise, then anger, curiosity, happiness which finally causes her to raise the corners of her mouth into that mischievous grin she saves for lapping me on the track. The bundle of energy quickly bounds over towards my table, with Rin’s sleeves in tow.

“So, you thought you could sneak out here by yourself and lie to us about having plans, eh?” Emi snaps at me.

“No,” I pause for a second, hoping to tilt the situation in my favor, “I was just being a gentleman to go on ahead and wait for you two to show up.” Smooth.

“Then where was this ‘gentleman’ when we were getting rained on?” Rin takes a moment to sneeze, instinctively catching most of it on her wet shoulder. “See? What kind of gentleman are you to leave poor damsels out in the rain like that?” Real smooth Hisao, real smooth.

Emi gives me a quick pout before quickly sliding herself into the seat across from me. She lunges, grabbing the napkin underneath my empty coffee and uses it to wipe down her hair. Aparently satisfied with her handiwork, she turns her attention to Rin, who is parked right where Emi dragged her to and in the midst of giving one of the other patrons one of her trademarked vacant stares.

“Rin, you can sit, you know!” Emi teases. Rin slowly turns her gaze towards Emi and cocks her head to the side.

“Ok.” She plops herself down next to Emi and plops her feet up on the table, causing the silverware to clatter before settling down again. Yuuko attempts to maintain some semblance of composure, but manages to fumble the menus onto the table. It’s a miracle the porcelain has survived this long. Yuuko picks herself off the floor before shakily bowing before us.

“Hi, sorry about the mess! Can I get you anything?” Yuuko looks like a gentle breeze might undo her at this point. Emi grabs one of the menus and apparently reaffirms her choice before speaking.

“Hi Yuuko, can we get a platter of turkey sandwiches without the mayo, a slice of whatever pies or cakes you have today, a cup of tea and a glass of water for Rin?” Rin gives a sagely nod at the selection while Yuuko struggles to write it all down. It takes me a moment to realize that both Emi and Yuuko are now staring expectantly at me.

“Hisao, do you want anything else?” Yuuko manages to stammer out over the top of her notepad. Considering that I was waiting for Hanako to eat, I guess now isn’t a bad time to place my dinner order.

(Red Velvet)[

“Uhh, I’ll have a plate of sandwiches and another cup of coffee as well, if you don’t mind.” Yuuko shakes her head vigorously, but not before sending her glasses sailing across the room.

“Oh no, my glasses!” I guess that wraps up ordering, for better or for worse. I turn back towards Emi, who seems a little more comfortable with the reassurance that food is on the way. She is quick to break the silence.

“So, I thought you were ditching us to be with Hanako. Did something come up?”

I give her a quick nod. “Yeah, she had some newspaper club business to attend to, so she had to cancel at the last second.” I hope I didn’t come off as too bitter, but if Emi thought so, she certainly gives me no indication.

“Oh well, I suppose that’s ok. You should know by now that I always get my way! Even fate is conspiring against you!” She gives me a knowing smirk, apparently satisfied with how things have turned out. I fake a sigh and throw up my hands in a mock show of despair.

“Well, can’t argue with that logic. So, what are you guys doing here anyway?”

“Well, me and Rin were going out to celebrate one last time before we graduate. Rin doesn’t want to commit to seeing me again because she ‘can’t predict the future’” Emi puts her fingers in an imitation of a quotation mark for added emphasis. Rin turns towards us at hearing her name being mentioned.

“Well, it doesn’t make sense to say ‘I’ll see you later’ when you don’t know if you will see them later, or when later is, or if they are still themselves when you see them.” She closes her eyes contemplating her wisdom. I should know better than to expect Rin to grasp colloquial metaphors, but it still manages to catch me off guard. Thankfully, Yuuko seems to have arrived with our drinks.

I stand up and help to prevent her from repeating what she did with the menus, an action she seems grateful for. It isn’t long before the sandwiches follow, and sandwiches eventually become desert. Yuuko brings three helpings of cake and pie to the table, each replesdent and garnished with decadent toppings. She takes care to set down the slices of lemon meringue pie, strawberry shortcake and a tea flavored cake before bowing out again. It didn’t take long for Emi to start devouring the strawberry cake in front of her as if she hadn’t been fed in days. I take a forkful of the lemon meringue pie before indulging myself. I give Emi an exaggerated expression to tease her, which proves to be a little too effective. In one swift movement, a flash of silver crosses my plate, carrying back with it a slice of the pie. Emi winks at me before sticking the plundered forkful in her mouth.

“Hey, I was eating that!” She grins at me, her mouth cluttered with bits of pastry.

“It’s ok, I just wanted to make sure I picked the right one.”

Meanwhile, Rin has decided to ponder the existence of the cake rather than consume it, leaving her feet under the table and placing her emerald eyes close to the tea cake. She doesn’t flinch, so much as acknowledge Emi as she completes her pastry tasting session. Aparently satisfied that she indeed chose the correct cake, she flourishes her fork before demolishing the remaining chunk of pink cake on her plate.

After we finish, Emi foots the bill for both Rin and her parts of the meal, and I do the same for mine. By some providence, the rain has relented, leaving the asphalt streets glistening with rain and oil runoff. The streets are quiet, with only the babbling trickle of water flowing into the storm drains punctuating the otherwise silent city. With the fear of the rain present in two of our minds, Emi and I manage to corral Rin back towards campus.

(Ease)[

I’m unusually awake after being roused by the alarm clock, so it’s not long before I’m chasing my arrhythmia medication down with some cold tap water. The stuffed bear from the festival sits comfortably on my shelf and almost gives me a wink for good look today. I throw on my school uniform and grab my school bag before throwing open the door. The cold morning air is bracing and refreshing, a welcome change from the stuffy dorm I’ve become so used to. I half walk, half skip my way over to the girls’ dorm, careful to avoid the prying eyes of students heading to breakfast. Navigating the dorm has become an easy routine, and takes me but a minute to arrive at Hanako’s door. A quick rap on the door with my knuckle is all it takes to conjure a familiar pair of eyes. Hanako quickly opens the door, beckoning me inside.

In the time we’ve been together, Hanako has redecorated her room, adding a couple other token decorations to the once barren walls. Pictures of the two of us hang in colorful frames as I recall trips to the jazz club, picnics in the park and even an outing to the karaoke club. A neat row of porcelain dolls line the solitary bookshelf, standing tall next to a couple copies of Hanako’s favorite books. Even so, her room is more barren than most simply due to her taste in interior decoration and lack of a desire for material possessions.

I toss my bag to the side before lowering myself onto her bed, patting the area beside me in an effort to have Hanako sit close beside me. Hanako giggles before acquiescing, making a show before sitting down. She crosses her knees and leans away from me with a mock pouting face before she leans back in and puts her arms around my midsection I put one of my arms around her shoulder and pry the phone from her tiny hand. It doesn’t take me long to navigate the tiny menu to the recent calls section, in which my name is listed twice as opposed to Lilly’s full eight times, comprising the rest of the list.

“Are you ready?” I’m a tad apprehensive myself since I haven’t called her in a couple weeks, but her voice is always a welcome sound for sore ears. Hanako gives me a nod and I press the underused call button on Hanako’s phone and then activate the speakerphone function.

One ring, two rings, three rings. Finally, the receiver sparks to life.

(Concord)[

“Hello? Lilly Satou speaking.” As expected, she answers the phone in English. Because of the regularity of the phone calls, I suppose she waits by the phone for the inevitable call from Hanako.

“Hi Lilly, it’s me, Hisao! Hanako and I are calling you together today, we hope you dont mind.”

“Oh Hisao, it’s so nice to hear your voice again! Of course I don’t mind the group conversation either, though I find the idea of you two calling me together rather amusing.” A heartwarming chuckle is just audible enough for Hanako and me to pick it up, bring a smile to both our faces. “So, tell me Hisao, how are things on your end? Based on what Hanako told me, finals should be over now, correct?”

“Finals went well on my end. I took your recommendations in English and managed to get a passable 83. It’s all thanks to your aptitude in teaching, of course.”

“Nonsense Hisao. You and I both know that your success is from the effort you put into your studies. Thank you for the kind words though.” As usual, Lilly’s altruistic nature shines from halfway around the world. It’s a shame that she had to move, but I find some comfort that Lilly seems to be happy.

“S-So Lilly,” Hanako pipes up, “have you made plans for the summer yet?”

“I was thinking of traveling a little, maybe flying out to visit you two if I get a chance, assuming I’m not too much of a burden. I wouldn’t want to get in the way of your busy lives of course.”

“Lilly, you know that Hanako and I will both make time for you. It’s still kind of lonely not having you around anymore/ Maybe one day you can stay for a little longer than just a short trip.” Hanako draws my arm closer to her body.

“I would love to move back at some point in the future, but father needs me here... “ Her voice trails off, obviously sparing us the internal family politics. I feel terrible for opening that can of worms since I’m sure Lilly didn’t need to be reminded of her family imposed isolation

Hanako decides to preempt any chance of an awkward silence.

“So Lilly, h-how is Akira doing? I haven’t talked with her in awhile.” Personally, I never got to know Akira that well, but I know Hanako and the Satou sisters have a longer history together.

“Akira is fine, just a little busy. Father has her working hard drafting new contracts since the company is growing so much.” Lilly seems think for a moment before speaking again. “So Hanako, how are things on your end? Have you heard back on the application yet?”

… Application?

(Painful History)[

Hanako suddenly unlatches herself from me, suddenly finding the walls opposite me very interesting. Before I can ask what the application is about, Lilly seemed to have figured out that I wasn’t supposed to know about this ‘application’.

“Oh, um, I’ll talk to you later Hanako, ok?” Hanako shuts the phone without another word, and before I can ask her what’s going on, she is already reaching for her school bag. I can only sit in silence as Hanako slams the door, leaving me alone in her room.

What just happened?

I know Hanako has been reluctant to share her plans for next year with me, but I had assumed that was simply because she hadn’t made any yet. Something is obviously wrong, and I can’t help but feel hurt that Hanako doesn’t want to share what’s going on. At the same time, Lilly seems to know much more than I do about this. I can’t call her again in front of Hanako, but maybe she can tell me why Hanako is acting this way. At the same time, should I really go behind my girlfriend’s back? Do I really need Lilly to help bail me out again and tell me how to deal with Hanako?

Choices:

A: Resolve to call Lilly later

B: Try and deal with it myself

Strawpoll:
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Why do I get the feeling Hanako is separating herself from Hisao because she's not into him so much anymore?

Also, I like what you did there with the Shanghai scene. :P
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

and this is the longest you’ve had a relationship since that Iwanako girl.”
That bar's not hung very high :-)
Your father heard that the cherry blossoms in Hokkaido are blooming early this year with all the warm weather this year,
Would be VERY early... Hanami in Hokkaido is usually end of April/early May.
This story is set end of march, so it's perfect for Tokyo where Hisao lives.
“Well, me and Rin were going out
Rin and I
Also I suggest you read this article if you want to make Hisao's and Hanko's choice of university a major plot point...
The academic year starts in April - if your story is set at the end of march they'd both better have their acceptances by now...

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
OneManArmy77

Post by OneManArmy77 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
and this is the longest you’ve had a relationship since that Iwanako girl.”
That bar's not hung very high :-)
Your father heard that the cherry blossoms in Hokkaido are blooming early this year with all the warm weather this year,
Would be VERY early... Hanami in Hokkaido is usually end of April/early May.
This story is set end of march, so it's perfect for Tokyo where Hisao lives.
“Well, me and Rin were going out
Rin and I
Also I suggest you read this article if you want to make Hisao's and Hanko's choice of university a major plot point...
The academic year starts in April - if your story is set at the end of march they'd both better have their acceptances by now...

For the grammar point, that was intentional actually. Emi isnt a very refined person, so I adjusted the dialogue to be more colloquial. Ill take a look at the wikipedia page, but at this point, its unlikely to completely fix it.
HoneyBakedHam wrote:Why do I get the feeling Hanako is separating herself from Hisao because she's not into him so much anymore?

Also, I like what you did there with the Shanghai scene. :P
Thank you! I tried to keep it close to how KS did their scene with Emi and then I just tacked Rin along trying to imagine how she would handle the meal.
Xilirite

Post by Xilirite »

Alright, sorry about the long delays recently -- here's chapter 8. Hope you enjoy!

Caged Heart (

As much faith as I have in Lilly’s insight, I can’t shake the feeling that this is something I need to take care of on my own. Besides, even if Lilly knows more about this application, I shouldn’t be going behind Hanako’s back.

I glance at the clock. It’s nearly time for classes. I have to go, even if all I really want to do right now is catch up to Hanako. I don’t even know where she went – if not to class, which I doubt, then probably the library. I could skip, but I have a feeling Hanako needs to be alone right now.

I trudge to class, trying and failing to clear my head. I don’t even know how to feel – betrayed? Confused? Angry? All three stalk through my head, making it hard to focus.

The door to the classroom is open, and people are still showing up. If nothing else, I wasn’t late for class. I enter the room, immediately noticing the empty space where Hanako is usually seated. Unsurprisingly, she’s not here. Some small part of me was hoping that she’d be there, just like every other day – waiting for me to arrive, smiling softly when I do. But another part of me dreads the next encounter with her, and that scares me.

I take my seat and watch the slow but steady stream of students entering to room. Of course, Hanako never shows up. I feel a pit in my stomach as I begin to worry for her. What could she be thinking?

Class begins, and I struggle to pay attention. Whenever I manage to focus, my mind starts to wander again, and the entire lesson is lost on me. I eventually give up, resigning myself to staring into the distance and thinking.

What is the application for?

There are so many different possibilities, and almost all of them seem bad. If she really feels that she needs to hide it from me… has she already decided on our future? Is it too late to change her mind? I want her to be happy, but at the same time I don’t want to lose her.

The lesson drones on and on, completely passing me by, and before I know it class is over. I drag myself out of my chair, leaving the classroom after everybody else. I stop in the doorway as I suddenly realize I have no plans for lunch today. As I’m pondering my alarmingly limited options, I spot a familiar form out of the corner of my eye, accompanied with the familiar mechanical rhythm of prosthetic footsteps.

Stride (

Emi strides towards me with Rin in tow. When I make eye contact with her, she beams and waves excitedly. I sigh before forcing myself to look happier for their sakes, raising a hand in greeting.

“Hisao!” she exclaims as she forcefully comes to a stop in front of me, while Rin lazily slows her stride until she’s reached Emi’s side. She looks around, eyes dull and shoulders slump, before her eyes eventually fall upon me.

She blinks, her expression unmoving, before finally saying “Hello, Hisao.” Then, she looks away, apparently more interested by the students passing by us.

Emi grins, her boundless enthusiasm standing in stark contrast to Rin’s nonchalance. “Well?”

“Well what?” I ask, to which she giggles in response.

“Duh – Did you make new plans with Hanako?” Sometimes I wish she’d stop being so interested in our relationship. If she showed us any more attention, she’d have to be with the two of us all day, every day.

“No, not yet. Something's kinda… come up.”

She shakes her head, letting loose an exaggerated sigh. “Come on, Hisao! That just means you make plans for a different day! I thought I taught you better.” She puts her hands on her hips. “Or have you already forgotten all you’ve learned?”

I make a face. “I don’t remember any lessons, professor. Did you not mark me absent?”

She pouts and crosses her arms. “I don’t have time for attendance, Hisao. But that doesn’t excuse anything!”

I sigh again. “I’ll make plans next time I see her, if that’s what it’ll take to get you off my back.”

“Hisao!” She snaps at me, glaring at me. “You should do it because you love her so much that you have to see her as soon as possible! That’s way more romantic!”

“Okay, Emi – I’ll do it for true love.”

She beams. “That’s the spirit Hisao!”

I smile, but I’m not any happier. Not really. Emi doesn’t even know what’s going on – I can’t exactly blame her for her ignorance, but it bugs me nonetheless. Why can’t she just see that I don’t want to talk about Hanako right now?

I notice Rin has turned to look at me again. Her expression is indecipherable, with her eyes looking the same as ever. Emi, on the other hand, wears her heart on her sleeve at all times. Definitely a strange pair.

Emi gasps before pressing a finger into my chest. “If you don’t have plans with Hanako, you should come eat with us! We’re going down to town to eat at the Shanghai again, and this time I convinced Rin to pay.”

I’m about to reject her request when Rin suddenly decides to walk away. Emi stares at her, bewildered. “Rin? Where are you going?”

She stops and turns around, her expression still blank. “Away. You should too. Hisao’s head is all busy right now.” She turns again and continues walking away.

Emi continues to stare after her, until she gives me an apologetic look and jogs after her, leaving me alone once again. For a moment, I consider following them – I don’t have anything else to do right now. But the more I think about it, the more I realize I’d rather be alone right now.

Daylight (

I head down to the cafeteria, picking the most appetizing title on the menu that I don’t need to sit to eat. It arrives, just warm enough that I can’t complain but still uncomfortably chilled, and I pack it into a paper bag before taking it outside. I’ll go for a walk – maybe I’ll clear my head.

I don’t really know where I’m going once I starting walking, so I just pick a random direction and start walking. The soft, rhythmic crunch of the gravel path beneath my feet helps steady my thoughts, while the cool, almost chilly wind rustles my clothing and blows strands of hair into my eyes. I walk past the gym building, accompanied by the faint sound of some indiscernible athletics from within the building. Now that I’ve calmed down, I decide that I should take a minute to gather my thoughts once I’ve sat down and started eating. Maybe I can figure out where I should go from here.

The further I walk, the more I feel as though this whole walk is familiar. Now that I think about it, even the sounds from the gym rang a bell. I can’t put my finger on where the recognition is coming from, but I’ve definitely been here recently. But when?

It’s only after I turn to follow the path behind the building that it hits me. Last time I was here, we were having a picnic, watching a movie – being happy. This is where this whole situation ended up starting.

Moment of Decision (

What better place to think about how to put an end to it?

I sit down against the wall, faintly remembering the soft hum of the projector, the setting sun, and the simple joy of what should’ve been a pleasant evening. How did we get here?

As I dig into my lunch, comprised of some strange sort of poultry and some chewy noodles, I begin to sort my mind out and try to make sense of where our relationship is going.

Hanako’s application is clearly something I won’t be happy about – otherwise, Hanako wouldn’t have reacted so violently to the thought of me discovering that it exists. If I had to guess, it probably has something to do with the rest of her education. Whether or not she can still change her mind is what I’m worried about now – if it’s already too late, then that just means our relationship is in its final days. But if it isn’t…

Do I even want to try to change her mind? If this is something that she wants to do – something she’s so passionate about that she’d even leave me behind to pursue it – then shouldn’t I be supporting her? What’s more important to me – ‘Us,’ or her?

A gust of wind blows my now empty lunch bag out of my reach, carrying it off into the sky. The disturbance shakes me from my thoughts, and I realize I’ve already nearly finished eating. I’ll have to head inside for classes soon. I feel… calmer, but not unworried. I thought I had my future all planned out, but it looks like I could have to re-evaluate a few things. Life without Hanako… that’s a grim prospect.

I consider chasing after the bag, but it isn’t worth the effort – it flies away, far out of my reach. Strangely poetic for a bag. As I head to my afternoon classes, I find myself once again hoping to see Hanako sitting in her chair, waiting for me.

But when I get to class, she’s still gone.

School Days (

The afternoon passes without incident – the lessons are boring, the students are tired, the teachers are spent. The final bell rings, mercifully, after an especially boring class. With the year coming to a close, most classes are spent covering unimportant topics or gossiping with friends. If Hanako were there, I’d be able to sit and chat with her. Instead, she’s elsewhere – the library perhaps, or her room. If she’s in her room, it’s because she needs to be alone, but if she’s in the library, maybe I could speak to her.

On my way back to my room, I stop by the Library. Yuuko isn’t there – instead, a student I’ve never met before is in her place. She must be busy at the Shanghai right now. I search the room, checking all of Hanako’s favourite reading spots, but she’s nowhere in sight. I expected about as much, but it’s disappointing nonetheless.

Once I reach the dorms, I immediately notice that something is wrong. As I approach my door, I hear the distinct sound of a saw cutting through wood. I don’t even need to pinpoint the sound – Kenji is up to something. Again. As long as he’s busy doing… whatever it is he’s doing, he can’t come bother me. He can take down the whole school for all I care, as long as he doesn’t wake me up doing it – I’m completely exhausted, and the second I unlock the door to my room I collapse straight onto the bed, not even bothering to change. The sound of woodwork keeps me awake for a time, but eventually even that fades into the background as I drift off to sleep.

Then, some time later, I’m awoken by a knock on the door.

It can’t be too much later than when I fell asleep – the sun is setting, judging by the light streaming in through the window. It’s probably just Kenji – asking me to help him create a barricade or something similarly bizarre. I don’t have time for this – I’m just gonna go back to sleep.

Breathlessly (

Another knock, gentle and hesitant. That doesn’t seem like how Kenji would knock – it isn’t brash enough. I have a feeling I know exactly who it is.

I climb out of bed, rubbing my bleary eyes, before lumbering over to the door. I open it to see Hanako on the other side, looking even more slight than usual. Her eyes are wet with tears, red for the same reasons. How long has she been crying?

She immediately buries her face in my chest, muffling her sobs. I hesitate for a moment before wrapping my arms around her, pulling her into the room and closing the door. We stand there in our embrace for a long time – long enough that the setting sun has almost disappeared. I hold Hanako close until she’s let all of her tears out, and continue to hold her even after her sobs have given way to slow, shaky breaths.

Finally, she breaks the silence. “I’m s-sorry, Hisao. I l-lied to you, and I-I’m sorry.” I stroke her hair as she speaks, content to let her continue, but she stops, burying her face in my chest again.

“It’s okay, Hanako,” I whisper, only half-believing it myself. “We’ll find a way to make things better.”

She shakes her head, lifting her head from my chest. “Hisao, please. I d-don’t want to talk about that right now.”

I stare into her eyes, still glistening with tears. “But Hanako – we can’t ignore this forever.”

“I know, Hisao. B-but I’m not ready to t-talk about it. N-not yet.” She places a hand on my chest, over the scar hidden beneath my uniform. “Soon. But not yet. I-is that okay?”

I take a deep breath, thinking it over for a moment. I want to resolve this sooner rather than later, but if she’d rather talk about it later, I should honour her wishes. It’s a blessing that she’s even willing to discuss it at all. I nod my head. “Okay, Hanako. Some other time.”

She smiles warmly. “Thank you.” She removes the hand from my chest, grabbing one of my hands and holding it between us. “S-so how about that date?”

Raindrops and Puddles (

For a second, I’m thrown off guard. Then I remember – we were going to meet at the Shanghai last night. It feels like it’s been a lot longer than just a day. The idea of doing something normal with Hanako fills me with hope – maybe things can still get better.

I pull her in for a hug, and she wraps her arms around me, pressing her cheek against my chest. “We could go right now. I mean, if you want.” I smile, and kiss her head. “I know I do.”

She nods her head and squeezes me. “That sounds g-great.”

Less than ten minutes later, Hanako is dressed and ready to head off to town.

The two of us begin the long walk down the hill. The sun has set, and the soft sound of grasshoppers has begun to fill the night air. Hanako and I hold hands, content to stay completely silent during our trip. The silence that’s fallen over us isn’t an uncomfortable one – in fact, it’s fairly calming and serene. As we get closer to the town, I squeeze Hanako’s hand, causing her to jolt slightly in surprise before blushing. She leans closer to me, placing her free hand on my arm and resting her head on my shoulder. If only every moment were like this – no fighting, no confusion, no fear, no mystery. Just us. But I shouldn’t think about that now – that would spoil the moment. Instead, I focus on the sound of Hanako’s breathing and the soft tapping of her footsteps.

Before long, we find ourselves standing outside the Shanghai. I open the door for Hanako, and she steps in, smiling at me as she does. I follow her in, taking pleasure in the simple joy of witnessing her happiness. Being able to get such genuine smiles from her with such simple actions fills me with warmth.

Yuuko fumbles her way toward us, somehow misplacing her glasses in the process. She panics, backtracking frantically in search of them, before retrieving them from beneath a table and darting to our sides.

“I’m so so sorry, I’ll seat you right now and take your order too!” She rushes her sentence, ushering us towards an empty table before she’s even finished talking. The place isn’t very busy tonight, with no shortage of seats for us to take. A few seats are filled by familiar uniforms, but most of the clientele are townsfolk. I still don’t actually know what time it is, but I guess the other students are already in bed right now.

It doesn’t take long to place our orders, even if dealing with Yuuko makes it much more difficult than it should. After she crashes her way to the kitchens, I turn to Hanako. “Something’s been bothering me this whole time.”

Hanako looks up to me, her wide eyes filled with wariness. “Hisao, I already s-said I’ll talk about it later.”

I smile and shake my head. “No, no, it’s not that.” I clear my throat. “Where did you go today? I was worried about you.”

“O-oh.” She blushes, although I can’t tell if it’s bashful or embarrassed. “I waited until classes started s-so you wouldn’t be in my room, a-and then I l-laid down f-for a while. I kept thinking about h-how mad you must’ve been and…” she looks down at her feet, beneath the table. “I was worried about you too.”

I wince. Of course she’d be as worried about me as I was for her. I should know this already. “Well, it’s okay now, right?”

Breathlessly (

She smiles, but I can tell it’s forced. “Y-yeah. For now.”

A silence falls upon the table, and it isn’t broken until Yuuko’s trail of destruction reaches our table. She’s so flustered that she barely manages to get any words out, simply slamming our food on the table and squeaking a rushed apology before rushing off to another table.

As I begin eating, I notice Hanako hasn’t even lifted her hands from her knees. “Hanako?” She looks up at me, looking worryingly lost. “What’s wrong?”

She looks back down at her feet, and for a moment doesn’t respond. I put my food back down and, as if prompted by the act, she begins speaking. “I c-called Lilly after you left. I didn’t know w-w-who else to turn to. I’m s-sorry.” She kicks her feet awkwardly. “I’m g-going behind your back again.”

Raindrops and Puddles (

I smile sadly. “Hanako, you don’t need to apologize for talking to Lilly. There’s nothing wrong with confiding in her if you need to.”

She turns her gaze back to me. “Really? Y-you’re not offended?”

“Of course not.”

She smiles. “O-okay. Th-thank you, Hisao.”

“Don’t worry about it, Hanako. Just eat up.” She nods at this, her eyes lighting up as she takes her first bite. She’s definitely still cute, that’s for sure. I dig in, eager to eat as much of my food as possible before it gets cold.

Suddenly, I remember what I needed to ask Hanako. I curse myself for forgetting before speaking up. “Hanako, how open is your schedule?”

She takes a moment to finish chewing her food, twisting her face slightly as she thinks. “Ummm… I d-don’t think I’m busy at all for a while. W-why?”

“Well, I talked to my parents recently. They said they wanted to see me again, and they also asked if you wanted to meet them.” She furrows her brow, and I continue. “They’ve heard a lot about you. Well…” I grin. “Actually, that’s not true. They haven’t heard much at all.” Her face lightens up as she smiles with me. “What do you think? Can you come?”

“I-I don’t really know right now – I’ll have to check. B-but I really want to.” Her smile widens. “I-if your parents are like you, I-I’ll probably love them.”

I’m caught off guard – Hanako doesn’t often flirt with me. She notices, and giggles quietly to herself, and I can’t help but join her. For a moment, it’s just the two of us, smiling and laughing, just like I’ve wanted all week.

As another silence forms between us, my thoughts drift back to the application. I’ve been waiting all day for answers, but now that I’ve found Hanako, I’m no closer to figuring out what to do than I was earlier. We’re going to have to address this, and I’m starting to wonder if Hanako will ever be ready to discuss it. If she does bring it up, will it already be too late to try to set things right?

I should ask her now, but she specifically asked me not to bring it up. I can’t ignore it forever, but even if I don’t want to, I can wait a few more days before talking about it. Of course, it’s entirely possible that in a few days time, it’ll already be too late.

Choice A: Address the issue now

Choice B: Leave it for later

Writing and lack of sleep go together like procrastination and a boot in the ass. Unpleasant, but productive!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

She stops and turns around, her expression still blank. “Away. You should too. Hisao’s head is all busy right now.”
So since when has Rin been able to read people? And better than Emi at that. ^^°
“But Hanako – we can’t ignore this forever.”

“I know, Hisao. B-but I’m not ready to t-talk about it. N-not yet.”
I'm starting to doubt you will be able to bring a satisfactory resolution to this...
Choice A: Address the issue now
Choice B: Leave it for later
...and this choice doesn't even make any sense at all.Hanako already old him twice that she won't discuss it.
This feels like you were at the end of the chapter and needed some/any choice for the break-off.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I'm starting to doubt you will be able to bring a satisfactory resolution to this...
Stand by for further... Developments. 8)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Decadent Albatros

Re: KS Writing Club: Cherry Blossoms (Updated 07/24/15)

Nocturne

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Hanako needs some time to tranquilize and overcome this stressful period, so I probably shouldn't bug her by trying to solve the issue now. We have ourselves a nice date going right now, so it would be a shame to ruin it. So, after reassuring myself one last time that this is probably the right solution, I relax and enjoy the rest of the evening with her.

After an hour, we're done with the Shanghai, so we pay our dinner and get ready to return to Yamaku. The night is already surrounding us, and my long haired girlfriend is squeezing me with one arm around my torso, while placing her head on my shoulder. Not bothered by this, I put my own arm around her and accompany her to our destination. Side by side, we begin walking on the silent road, confident that even in the worst storm, if we're together we'll always find a way to dissipate the darkest of the clouds.

---------------------------
School Days

Today, a Thursday, strikes me as an ordinary day. School, attending to classes, hanging out with Hanako... except it isn't. Tomorrow is the day of our departure to my parent's place, so I must make sure that everything is in order. Once my baggage is out in the open, I'm off to my usual daily routine, with part of me hoping that maybe Hanako will surprise me.

As I walk towards the main building, I feel a voice calling me from behind. It's not meek, as Hanako's is, but more energetic and bubbly. Resigning myself to the incoming doom, I turn around and the duo of the Student Council presents itself in front of me.

"Hi Hicchan!~ It's good to see you, especially without that depressing face that you had this week! Wahahahaha!~"

I'm not surprised that they noticed it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in the class noticed my bad mood. With that in mind, I shove aside any ill thoughts and try to force a smile, hoping to get them off my back as quickly as possible.

"Yeah, I'm glad about that too. Anyway, what do you want?", I say more annoyed then I actually am. Maybe I'm not completely past that bad period.

"No need to be so cold, Hicchan! We just wanted to ask for your help, since us two alone can't do it! You see, we are in need of some masculine strength!"

Why am I not surprised? With a loud sigh, I ready myself with an afternoon of physical work... except that a voice cuts off my incoming answer. The source turns out to be a familiar figure with long dark hair, that has already reached Shizune and Misha.

"S-Sorry, but Hisao is b-busy after classes..."

The two immediately turn around and take a glance at her, only to deviously smile at her, which obviously causes Hanako to shrink.

"Oh don't worry, Hanako, you can help, too! Wahahaha!~"

"S-Sorry but I r-really need to p-prepare my l-luggage this afternoon... A-And Hisao, t-too!"

I'm the target of glances of the two harp-I mean girls, that raise an eyebrow as if wanting me to confirm my girlfriend's statement. With a nod I satisfy her curiosity.

"Fine, I guess we'll let you pass... for now! Anyway, at least make sure to not come late to class, Hicchan! See you!~"

As soon as they are out of sight, I let out a loud sigh and turn my head towards Hanako, whom is exhibiting an amused expression. With a smile, I break the silence that fell just moments ago.

"Well, I think I owe you one for this, right?"

"N-No need, Hisao, I need your help this evening, so make sure to not get too tired!"

"... I hope you're not having any dirty ideas."

She shoves aside my hypothesis with a giggle. It's always surprising to me how relaxed she is when we're alone: no panic, no paranoia, no fear of being judged. It's moments like this that make me so glad that I got to know Hanako, not just the girl with PTSD, but the amazing girl that hides inside a thick shell created over many harrowing years.

After confirming that I'll indeed help her, we walk towards our class hand in hand. Long gone are the days where we would be afraid of showing our relationship to the others, since now we walk close and hand-in-hand with no fear of judgment.

Ease

Classes go by uneventfully, which is not surprising since after the exams they're just there to keep us somewhat busy. With the sound of the bell that signs the end of today's lessons, I stand by next to my seat and await Hanako. We're usually the last ones to exit the classroom, preferring peace and quiet to the loud noises of the mass of students that rush to their dorms.

As we walk towards them, too, we notice familiar faces having fun in the lush green park around Yamaku. Miki and Suzu seem to be poking each other, Emi is jogging and apparently holding some paint, maybe bringing it to Rin, and Taro and Akio are just dozing on a bench, chatting as usual. The other students are having fun, too, but since I don't spend much time with people outside class 3-3, they might as well be strangers to me.

When we arrive in front of the girl's dorm, Hanako bids farewell to me, for now, with a kiss on the cheek. My eyes linger on her figure for some seconds as she walks, admiring the figure of the girl that stole my heart. Not wanting to lose too much time doing nothing, I start walking towards my room: an afternoon with my baggage awaits me.

Raindrops and Puddles

"... and that should be it," I say as I place the last shirt inside my baggage. After an hour or so of work, I can say with certainty that I have everything I need for an amazing weekend with Hanako. Speaking of which, I need to go to her ro-

A sound from my phone interrupts my train of thought, and soon enough I notice it is from Hana. 'Hisao, can you please come here? I hope I'm not interrupting you >_<'
Well, seems like my daily work for me is not yet done, so after a quick check-up of my clothes, I'm on my way to her room.

I make my presence known to Hanako with a couple of knocks, which steadily opens her door. Her room is quite messy, with shirts, books, plushy-toys and underwear scattered on the floor. My eyes wander around her room, while she sits down and stares at her own luggage, half empty. I think I know what my job today will be...

"S-Sorry to bother you, but I'm having some p-problems here..."

"Oh don't worry, I'm glad to be helping you," I say with a smile, which causes one of her typical blushes. "But, you know that we're going there for only two days, right?"

"Y-yeah, but I-Idon'twanttoleavethemalone!"

It takes me a couple of seconds to realize what she just said, and also that by 'them' she meant her plushy-toys. In fact, her embarrassment causes her face to get even more red, her face escapes from my gaze, but I'm at least glad that she didn't run away. With a sigh, obviously only half serious, I answer.

"Fine, let me help you decide, ok?"

"O-Ok."

While we prepare Hanako's luggage, we spend time talking, gathering items, laughing, and having a good time. Even when we slow down, we don't care and just keep enjoying our time together. After an hour or so, we're done and we just stand up and look at her luggage with a bit of pride, only to begin to clean the rest of the mess in her room.
Once all is done, we sit down on her bed . Her head plops down on my lap and I pass my hand through her hair. I would love to be in this position forever, but a thought wakes me up from my daze, making me realize that I still have one final task to accomplish.

Moment of Decision

"Hey, Hana?"

"Mmm?"

"Look, about yesterday," her expression becomes confused as she stands up and looks at me in the eyes, "I know that you didn't want to talk about it, but you know that you can't escape from this forever."

As I utter those words, she begins to avoid my face, making me realize that I've hit yet another nerve. It pains me to see her like this, but this must be done.

"I know that you don't want to talk about it, but believe me: As soon as we're done with this, everything will be better. Please, just trust me, ok?"

Hanako gingerly looks at me, unsure what to do. With a smile I try to reassure her, hoping that I didn't sound too forceful some moments ago.

"I-I know, but I c-can't rely on you for everything, e-especially not t-this..."
As she says this, my own expression becomes confused, yet interested in what she means by that.

"I k-know that soon we will have to go to u-university... and to f-find an apartment... and to see each o-other l-less and l-les-" she doesn't even manage to finish her sentence, because she hugs me very tight and puts her head on my chest, with tears rolling down her cheeks.
"I don't want to l-lose you, H-Hisao, I don't! I'm s-scared to live alone," she says with more tears rolling down, followed by more sobs that interrupt her. It's hard for her to say this, and it's hard for me to hold back this feeling in my gut that forces me to tell her that everything will be all right. Thing is, I'm not sure they will be and if I say they are, I'll probably just lie to myself. With a loud breath, she continues to speak to me. "I.. I d-d-don't w-want... to lose you and to be b-b-bullied and..." Another session of loud sobs begins, and I limit myself only to hug her even more. As she tries to speak, I kiss her forehead and sign her that what she said was enough.

I'm probably unsure if what I'm about to say is true, or if it's just wishful thinking. Seeing Hanako likes this makes me feel horrible, since in a way it's also my fault because I forced her to speak up. I could've just kept my mouth shut and enjoy the small moments that life would offer us, but it would be short lived. I'm not Lilly, I'm probably going to make a lot of mistakes and troubles like this will return. She lost her best friend, the one that was almost like a sister to her, that was here to comfort her when things were dire. I can't see myself as being like this, since I am, or they say I am, a dense and sometimes stubborn guy. I almost threw my relationship with Hana down the toilet, but damn I want to change. In this moment we only have each other, and if I want to keep it like this I need to overcome my habits and learn something that I never understood completely: compassion.

"You don't have to worry about this, Hana. As far as I'm concerned, we can live together and not even think to find two separate apartments. When I said that I'm never going away and that I love you, that also meant that I'll be at your side in the good times and in the bad ones," I say, causing her to be calmer, without tears adorning her face. I try to force a smile, not sure if she is going to believe my wards because, to be honest, I half believe them myself. Seconds pass but she still doesn't speak up, maybe a sign that she trusts my words and that I have to continue.

Comfort

"Just tell me this: Did you find what you want to do, when we go to Waseda?"

A quick nods is her answer, quickly followed by a voice that is close to be a whisper.
"I-I wanted to study j-journalism..."

"That sounds just like what you would like to do," I say, and a tiny smile forms on Hanako's face. "Thanks for telling me this, Hana. Now, what do you think about a walk to the Shanghai?"

"I-Is this a date?"

"Bingo."

With that, we start cuddling and then get on our way to the Shanghai. With one less burden on our back, we feel ever so ready for the big trip. Maybe I'm not the best guy to have as your only shoulder to cry upon on, especially given my problems with relationships. What I said probably isn't the best, or what Hanako wanted to her. Perhaps she sees me as a much stronger man then what I actually am, an immovable pillar that will always be there to comfort her and to give her advice... but that's just a lie. Yes, I want to become like that, but in order to be like that I need to accept that fact that without many trials, there will be no results. Today is the beginning of a new chapter for me, for both of us. Our road together seems bright, but only the destiny knows that life has in store for us.

Lullaby of Open Eyes

The final bell of the day interrupts my daydreaming, making me realize that lessons for today are over and that everyone is free to go. With a quick pace, Hanako and I leave the classroom, heading to our respective rooms. In about an hour and a half we will have to get the bus, so there is no time to waste. As I smell the fragrance of the grass being cut, the vivid memories of yesterday make a comeback in my mind. The confession, the cuddling, the date at the Shanghai and the silent walk back to our dorms. It feels so surreal that this is happening again, especially after the troubles that we both had to go through. I wonder if this will all last, if today's trip will be nothing more than an interval and that after this the troubles will return.
I should stop giving this thought so much weight, I'm just probably over thinking stuff again.

4PM, the clock keeps ticking and it's waiting for no one. With my baggage, I exit my room, close it and head towards the main gates. As I exit the male's dorm, I wonder if I should go and check up on Hanako. It would be nice of me to do that, but maybe she would think that as over-caring. Perhaps I should just wait her outside the gates...

Choice:

A)Wait for Hanako

B)Go and check up on her

Strawpool
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Were it me, I'd go to her room, regardless. If someone is taking too long to meet up, I'm gonna drag their ass out.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

... turn my head towards Hanako, whom is exhibiting an amused expression.
Who
Anyway, at least make sure to not come late to class, Hicchan! See you!~"
You know they have quite a lot of classes even though finals are supposedly over.
They were over since the story started, and how long has that been? A week? Two? And since they seem to be planning to come back to Yamaku after the weekend, there probably is at least one more week...
With that, we start cuddling and then get on our way to the Shanghai.
You probably meant finish cuddling :-)

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Decadent Albatros

Re: KS Writing Club: Cherry Blossoms (Updated 09/12/15)

Ladies, gentleman, Ibarazaki and people of unspecified gender, we're at the end of this long, arduous but certainly entertaining path. This part was written by our beloved /u/TheDwarfLard but I took it to myself to post it here, in the reals of the forums. Anyway, I think that I speak for everyone when I say that we enjoyed writing this and that the next story will be just as good, if not more! So, even thought the writers might be different the passion will be the same and I hope that you, the readers and those who comment, will be here too for giving use motivations and criticism. Again, we're sorry for the delay but real life and other problems gave us... well, problems. I hope this will be to your liking and, as Rucks from Bastion said:

"I'll see you in the next one"

----------------------------------------------------

Part 9

[Daylight](

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go check up on Hanako; she might need some help carrying her luggage out. It shouldn't be a problem even carrying my own too.

As I enter the girls dorm building, a few of the girls watching the television notice me, but pay me no mind. I suppose seeing me here isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence over the past several months.

Hanako's door is closed, but I put an ear to it before knocking and entering. A few small thuds are the only thing out of the ordinary. Maybe she could use some help after all.

Upon entering, Hanako's back and her luggage on the bed catch my attention. She turns arounds, her mouth slightly open. "H-Hisao? I thought you were waiting at the f-front gate." Those few words already make me start to reconsider coming here instead of waiting.

I shake my head. "I thought you might need some help with your luggage, I don't mind."

Hanako looks down at the floor and closes her hands into loose fists. "I'm f-fine. Let's go outside." Before she turns around again, a small frown appears on her face, and I know I'm responsible for that frown.

Hanako grabs her luggage and walks past me, looking back as if to encourage me to follow her. The entire walk back to the front gate is completely silent.

[Raindrops and Puddles](

However, once we reach our destination, her sweet smile returns, and I couldn't be more thankful. We sit down on the bench next to each other, setting down our luggage in front of us. I throw an arm around her shoulder and slowing massage her arm, and she rests her head on my own shoulder. I don't think I ever appreciate moments like this enough.

A soft voice catches my attention, split between watching our bags and my little reverie. "Hisao?"

I look down, her wide eyes looking directly into mine. "Hm?"

Hanako's bashful smile grows just as wide as my own. "I talked to Naomi and Natsume. They s-said we could push it back until we have a break during the year. Also… they said you could come too if you wanted."

"I'd love to," I say, my mood constantly improving over the past few minutes. We give each other simultaneous nods, and Hanako begins to rest her eyes again.

I feel like there's a bit more to this, but I know she'll tell me when she's ready.

Before long, I hear the muffled sound of a car down the road, and my sleepy girlfriend raises her head. As it comes to a stop in front of us, my parents come out, grinning as they look at the two of us.

"I hope you two lovebirds are ready to go," my dad booms and attempts to tease us ever so slightly. Hanako's blush lets everyone know it worked.

We grab our bags and put them into the spacious trunk. By the time we make our way around to the rear doors, my dad already has a strong grip on the steering wheel. I do wonder if part of the reason he agreed was just so he could drive to Yamaku and back to the house. Mom already has a book out, prepared for the drive.

Hanako and I settle into the back, and she quickly interlocks her fingers with mine. I can feel her unease, but her touch still feels just as warm as usual. She was always interested in my parents, but meeting them must be stressful for her. A few days with them will hopefully sort everything out.

Except for my dad occasionally looking at us in the rear view mirror, the drive to my parents' house is uneventful.

[Everyday Fantasy](

As we arrive at the house, I'm flooded with the memories of my past life. Though, considering how much better my life is now, I can't help but feel happy to know how much I've changed since that fateful day.

"Hisao? Hanako? You can drop off your bags in Hisao's room for now," my mom instructs. Checking my watch, I notice it's just about lunch time, so they must have something planned.

With the last of our bags dropped off, we decide to sit down for a bit. Hanako's eyes dart around my room, taking everything in. It's much duller than I remember, but that doesn't stop Hanako from wearing a dreamy expression.

I put a hand on hers, and she nods. Not that my dad needs any other reason to tease us, but we walk out hand-in-hand. As expected, he has a big grin on his face.

We hear a call from the kitchen. "Hanako, dear, could you come help me with lunch?"

Hanako calls back, "O-Okay."

I can only imagine what my dad has in store for me now…

He quickly walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder. "So, this is the girl you told us so much about?" I nod demurely.

"I'll have to thank her later…," he says as he scratches his chin.

"Thank her?"

He happily nods. "Both your mom and I noticed it at Yamaku. You aren't the same person who got sent off to that school all those months ago. No… you seem much happier and more confident now. I assume this Hanako had something to do with that."

He's right and I know he is, not that I should really ever doubt this. "Yeah, she did."

"Then I'll try to go easy on her, but no guarantees." My dad lets out a hearty laugh.

We decide to wait at the dinner table while the girls finish up. As time passes, the smell of vegetables and chicken makes it way over to us. My dad rubs his hands together in anticipation.

The two girls come back with four plates of yakisoba. Mom's wearing her usual floral apron, but she let Hanako use a spare one as well. It's definitely a cute look on her. The plates are placed on the table and my dad looks like he's about to explode if he has to wait any longer. But as soon as my mom sits down next to him and Hanako takes her place next to me, he starts digging in.

Taking my first bite, I instantly notice how different the dish is from what Mom usually makes. Both are incredibly good, but this dish has more variety and maybe even some spices. Hanako must have asked if she could, and it seems to have turned out quite well.

I steal a quick glance at Hanako, who still hasn't taken a bite yet. Her eyes dart between the three of us, focusing on our faces. As a satisfied smile forms on each, she smiles to herself and begins eating.

The clacking of plates signals the end of our lunch.

Hanako starts to rub her arm and nervously speaks up, "Wh-What did you think?"

"Might be some of the best yakisoba I've ever had," my dad says with a teasing chuckle.

"Spices and seasoning aren't something I usually like that much, but I think you really made it work," my mom calmly addresses Hanako.

I lean over a kiss Hanako on the cheek, and her blush tells me the message was loud and clear.

My mom gets up and takes the dishes to the kitchen and cleans them off. After a few minutes, she returns to put Hanako's apron back. This time, she sits down again and starts to focus on Hanako.

"If you don't mind me asking, where did you learn to use spices like that? It's kind of unusual. But we all enjoyed the food a lot." My dad gives a thumbs up.

Hanako starts to rub her arm. "I-I just had a lot of time to experiment with s-spices. It's not always good, though."

"It's almost always great when you use spices," I interject, hoping to boost her spirits. She simply nods in response.

Mom furrows her brow and tilts her head, as if she's not satisfied with the answer. "Is… is there more to it than that?"

[Painful History](

Hanako nods again, this time more slowly.

"I used to help with the c-cooking a lot because I was one of the oldest ch-children there. The s-staff encouraged I try new th-things…"

My dad's expression matches Mom's now and he scratches his chin. "Staff?" he asks, his interest piqued.

Hanako, more nervous than before, looks down for a minute before answering. "Yes… I had t-to live at an orphanage f-for s-several years. I never w-wanted to interact much with the other k-kids, so they were h-happy that I tried to help with the f-food."

She closes her eyes in an attempt to hold back the more painful memories. My hand finds its way to hers and I give her a gentle squeeze. Thankfully, no tears form, but she lowers her head once again.

[Comfort](

Both of my parents get up to to do what they can, but I think they both know that not much can be done right now. When Hanako's raises her head once again, my dad places a hand on her shoulder.

"I think we both know how difficult it is to share that. And we know how much you helped our son. The least we can do is try to support you as much as we can, if you want us to," my dad calmly yet firmly says. Mom nods in agreement.

"R-R-Really?" Hanako asks in shock.

"Of course," both of my parents say in unison.

My mom decides to add more. "And we know how much our son means to you. We… know it's the same and nothing can change what happened, but you'll always be welcome here."

An endearing smile appears on her face and she eagerly nods to accept the offer.

"So… what do you two kids want to do?" my dad asks, trying to keep things moving.

I know my parents were intending on going out shopping with us at some point, but it's probably not the best time for it.

"C-Can I play chess with Hisao?" Hanako innocently asks. "If you have a s-set we can use…"

He lets out a hearty laugh. "Of course, it's in that cabinet off to the side."

Hanako walks off to get the set after giving my parents a very thankful bow. We both help clean up after lunch and then she heads off to my room, chess set in tow.

I follow her in, leaving the door ajar. Hanako's already begun the process of setting up the pieces, but I can't help but notice her eyes nervously darting around.

Taking my place across from her, I voice my curiosity, "Something on your mind?"

"I-I think… I th-think I made my decision," her stammer acts up a bit more than usual. I give her a nod to continue.

"I want to go to Waseda with you and study journalism." Her gaze doesn't waver, and neither does her voice this time.

"That's…," I smile widely to myself, "That's great!"

I feel like that's an understatement.

We both get up and I pull Hanako into a tight embrace. Her warmth is calming, but it also feels like unimaginable amounts of stress have been lifted off both of our shoulders. She gives me a quick peck on the cheek as we separate, giggling to herself as I attempt and fail to kiss her back. Instead, we settle in for our chess match.

We each take a few turns, myself losing a pawn to sloppy playing. Something's still on my mind, and it's starting to distract me.

"Hey, Hanako?" She looks up at me while she fiddles with my lost pawn. "Mind if I ask you something?"

"No," Hanako simply states.

I suppose being blunt might be the best way to get it out there.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want, but… how did you come to your decision about university and what to study? I remember you being kind of lost before."

[Innocence](

"Oh, I…," she starts to rub her arm and avoids my gaze. "Naomi, Natsume, and s-some of the other girls in the newspaper club did give me some ideas to th-think about. When you started asking me b-before, I knew I wanted to s-study journalism or a f-field like that, but didn't know where. I didn't tell you because…"

I remain silent, letting Hanako take the time she needs.

"Because I didn't want you to b-be disappointed or try to affect my decision, at least d-directly, "Hanako says, her voice occasionally shaking.

I scratch my head and respond, "I'm not sure I understand."

Her attention seems to be set on that single chess piece now. "If I c-couldn't make a full decision... You'd be moving ahead, but I'd be stuck behind. I-I don't know what I would have done and… it's p-painful to think about," Hanako begins to explain as she rubs her eyes.

I attempt to limit the concern in my voice, but to no avail, "I could have helped if you needed it."

Hanako swiftly shakes her head. It's the only response for a minute or two. She then sets down the pawn and looks directly into my eyes. I think she's found her resolve.

"This is s-something I had to do myself, without you making the ch-choice for me. If you did, I might get used to it."

Hanako reaches for my hand and I hold it in my own.

"H-Hisao… I'll always love you and I know you always m-mean well when you offer help. But I wanted to pr-prove to myself… and to you that I could do this by myself," she confidently continues.

"B-But that doesn't mean I didn't want to s-stay with you during university. I made my d-decision, but I know how hard it can be…"

She leans forward and kisses me on the lips, and we both savor the experience. I'll never grow tired of the feeling of her soft lips against my own. She pulls back and her eyes look particularly dreamy.

"But I want to go through it with you at my s-side… and I want to be at your side too," she says, sounding like she's at peace.

I feel a mixture of relief and pure happiness. "Hanako… I'd really like that." As much as I want to say more, the perfect words escape me. Though, her lovely smile lets me know that the message is clear.

Hanako and I both look at the halted chess match in front of us and nod to complete it.

We still have a lot ahead of us, but… I think it's all going to be worth it.

Edit: Thanks to the comments of Mirage and Bryth, version 2.0 is online! Mostly the ending has been changed.
Last edited by Decadent Albatros on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.