The Blank Slate - (Updated 12-16) Class Reunion

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Leaty

Re: The Blank Slate - (Updated 7-8) Mirror Shoujo

Post by Leaty »

Well, I wasn't envisioning it as quite so comprehensive an inversion as to render her unrecognizable—I agree that it would be pointless. I was thinking more in terms of her personality traits being the same (playfulness, bossy attitude, competitive, blunt, unable to keep friends) but bent towards chaos (delinquency) rather than order (the class representative).
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Woo! More Blanks have been fired! :D

I really like this one. I always thought that Swampie's AU was good, but this made it really, really good. Shame we didn't get any Shizune, but w/e :P
Also, Mirror-Hanako x Mirror-Kenji. Interesting...
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

Alpacalypse wrote:Woo! More Blanks have been fired! :D
But I changed the thread name. I think this one is more accurate.

I find it weird that no one is shipping Mirror Lilly and Mirror Kenji, which I thought was the obvious direction that section hinted at. Mirror Kenji might be a bit of a smooth talker, but I think he clearly likes Lilly more than Hanako. And Lilly doesn't seem opposed to the idea, either.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

The Blank Slate - (Updated 9-30) Acquired Immunity

Post by Blank Mage »

Acquired Immunity

---------------------------

The air is filled with the rhythmic knocking of nails being driven into wood.

It's actually kind of nice after a while. To pass the monotony of the task at hand, I try to match my hammering to Shizune's, then alternate it to try and form a beat. Of course, she doesn't notice.

It makes me wonder, does the lack of sound make this work seem more drawn out and boring to her?

Is it strange, being unable to hear the results of her actions even as she feels the vibrations through her fingers? Or, having no concept of sound, does it bother her at all?

Distracted, I don't notice Shizune sneaking up on me until her head pops into view, followed quickly by a hand.

[Taking a break?]

I turn to face her fully and sign a response.

[Yeah, I guess.]

[Okay,] she signs back. [Let's do that.]

She plops down onto the grass beside me, passing me a can of lemonade she brought. I gesture back to her, it's not mine, after all, but she waves it away. Apparently this is my reward, and I nod a bit in thanks before I open it.

We stare into the distance for a moment, both of us content to... what? Enjoy the silence?

[Say...]

Shizune glances at my almost unintentional sign, and I decide to ask.

[Is it... hard being deaf? I mean... I know what it's like to close my eyes, and I know I could never get around as easily as Lilly. But sound is just too different. I can't imagine it.]

Shizune only shrugs. [It's not hard. Obviously, I have a hard time communicating, but there are dozens of ways around that. Sign language, notepads, texts, even artificial voice boxes.]

Although I'm sure she's being honest, I can't help but feel like she's being overly literal.

[Yeah, but doesn't it bother you to know that you're missing out of things? Like, music. Even simple things like sound effects in games or shows. Or... is it even possible to miss something you never had?] I cringe at my own wording, instantly regretting ever having brought this topic up, and Shizune's eyes narrow a little. I brace myself for the backlash of upsetting her.

[What are you talking about? I wasn't always deaf.]

I blink in surprise, suddenly unsure of what I know about her. Come to think of it, I don't remember ever hearing anything about Shizune's past. I guess I just assumed...

[Wait, what? How long have you been deaf? Like, was it a degenerative thing?]

Shizune frowns, looking suddenly uncomfortable.

[It's been... I think they made it official about a year ago. They're hoping that it's temporary. No, they're fairly sure it's temporary. My hearing was fine before then.]

I sit back, stunned by this new information, feverishly factoring it into what I know about her.

[But... if you weren't deaf, why did you enroll?]

[I was born mute.]

I press my fingers to my temples, putting pieces together in my head.

[So... hang on. That's way too short. Were you in an accident? What happened between then and now?]

Shizune sighs heavily, and turns to face me, her eyes flicking somewhere behind me for a moment. Her expression softens, and her eyes hold an unspoken apology.

[I made a friend.]

A moment later, my vision is blocked out, and suddenly, it all makes perfect sense.

"Hicchan! GUESS WHO? WAHAHA~!"
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Leaty

Re: The Blank Slate - (Updated 9-30) Acquired Immunity

Post by Leaty »

I don't think a story has ever before made me laugh and headdesk simultaneously.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm literally still laughing as I type this.

Brilliant!
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

Leaty wrote:I don't think a story has ever before made me laugh and headdesk simultaneously.
I think that's all that needs to be said. :lol:
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Gajzla

Post by Gajzla »

I was saving my 200th post for my next Fragments post, but I think you deserve it.

That was really good. :D
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

This was way funnier than it should have been. The idea of Misha causing Shizune's deafness is hilarious. I guess that means Hisao will soon follow. At least he won't have to worry about sound startling him into a heart flutter anymore.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
brythain

Post by brythain »

So that's why Misha acquired sign language! After a while everyone in range seemed to stop listening! :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

I'm laughing too. :lol:

Wait a second, shouldn't half of 3-3 have joined Shizune in deafness by this point, then? Specifically the half that sits around Misha? New headcanon: Suzu ain't narcoleptic, she's gone deaf and doesn't get enough sleep on school nights. Ergo, she falls asleep in lessons and she doesn't wake up until somebody pokes her.
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

I am running on three nights with little sleep, so it took me way too long to figure out what was going on here. Love it. Love. It.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
kaserkin

Post by kaserkin »

This one was pretty fun. Keep it up, Blank!
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

I think I just woke up both of my roommates laughing.

Great job!
One Shots - My stories thread.