Learning to move on - (Chapter 2) - UPDATED 30/04/2015

WORDS WORDS WORDS

RandomHuman

Learning to move on - (Chapter 2) - UPDATED 30/04/2015

Post by RandomHuman »

Learning to Move on

Hey look, all im going to say is this fanfic has been a huge effort from not only me but a amazing dude called AaronIsCrunchy. I would definatly call him a Co- writer in this project and 50% of the stuff on here was either his idea or his writing.

Weve tried to make it so the characters have diffrent personalities and for each point of view to be so obvious that you can tell who it is straight away. This is both my own and Arons frst time writing anything so Critism is not only expected but wanted, to improve us and hopefully start knocking out some better stuff in the future (as long as its constructive and your not being an asshole) :) thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you stick with it, as more chapters are ready and waiting.

Contents
Chapter 1 - Misha (Current)
Chapter 2 - Emi

Chapter 1 - Misha

BEEP BEEP BEEP

The harsh beeping of the alarm clock welcomes me into the new day, As a child, I used to try to remember what it was that I was dreaming about, but most of the time it would have gone before I could recall any of it. No such luck today; the dampness of my pillow reminds me exactly what, or who, was in my dreams.

Shicchan.

Falling back, my head hits the pillow and I close my eyes again, hoping it was all a dream that would never see the light of day....No such luck.

Slowly but surely, the contents of the previous day came flooding back to my memory with such clarity there's no way it could have just been a dream.

Going to Yamaku to learn sign language meant that spending a lot of time around someone in need of an interpreter. When that person is as amazing as Shicchan – cute, clever, and determined – it was only a matter of time before I started getting feelings for them.

I couldn't just be happy with Shicchan as my friend though – if there was a chance that she may have felt the same about me as I did about her, then I had to take it. I wanted to be more to her than just her interpreter and co-worker. And I had the whole of the summer to think about how I was going to do it.

The first day of term arrived after what seemed like an eternity - it wasn't like I hadn't seen Shicchan at all, but we were staying at her house and her dad... I don't think he'd like it. We met in the usual way - she was in the student council office already going through paperwork when I came in. I sidled up to her, not too close to unnerve her, but close enough that I could hold her hand, and smell her scent. With my hands shaking, a mixture of excitement and nervousness, I told her how I felt - how I wanted us to be more than friends, how beautiful I thought she was... And then that look. She hadn't even signed her response and I knew what was happening. She told me she thinks of me very highly as a friend, that she couldn't think of a person she liked more, but we could never be more than that. And then 'sorry', with an expression signifying she knew this was killing me.

I had spent all summer thinking of this moment, of how I could finally be truly happy with her, and in the space of a minute I had been reduced to a feeling I was nothing. Shicchan put her arms around me, but not how I hoped it would be: where I wanted the warm embrace of a new-found love, she was only able to OFFER a hold of consolation, of pity. I couldn't bear to stay any longer, and broke away, running for the dorms with suppressed tears spilling over, running down my cheeks. I feel so stupid, for almost certainly ruining a friendship that I shouldn't have been so selfish to want more of. And now I have to spend today pretending nothing happened, business as usual, knowing the one thing I truly want I can never have.

'I hate myself.'

So now I lie here, staring at my ceiling, hoping that the my bed will swallow me up, saving me from the embarrassment that will inevitably come when I eventually see her. I can imagine it now, to see her usual beautiful, flawless eyes looking down on me with pity. Like I'm some stupid teenager fan girling over her idol. But our relationship isn't that bad. Is it?

Huh. Maybe I am. Maybe I'm no better than those gullible, sweet and innocent girls that devote their life, their passion into something that will inevitably come back and sucker punch them straight in the gut.

I pull my pillow over my face and leave it there as I gently sob into it. But no tears are realised; no, they dried out hours ago. After I've calmed slightly I contemplate getting ready for school, but even if I could gather the energy I'm not sure if I would want to. But then again, I promised myself I would be strong, if not for myself, for Shicchan. I don't want to leave her alone mute for two days straight.

Slowly, as if the thought of a helpless Shicchan sent my body into autopilot, I get out of bed, and begin my morning preparations.

I haven't had a chat with Shicchan now for a week. It's not like we haven't 'spoken'; I've interpreted for her, and ensured that she's not been forgotten about in class, but I haven't felt able to breach the rift that I feel has grown between us. We're now sat in the Student Council office, dealing with a stack of paperwork that I'm sure doesn't have to be done for a couple of weeks – Shicchan arranges the papers into organised piles and I staple them together. Collation she calls it.

The room seems quieter than it ever has done – of course, talking with Shicchan is a silent ACTIVITY anyway, but beforehand, it didn't seem any different to speaking normally. I keep glancing up at her, watching her intense blue eyes concentrating on the otherwise simple task like it was the most important thing in the world. At least, that's how she usually is. But she seems slightly distracted.

She looks up at me, a hand cutting through the air saying that she wants to say something. The look she usually places on whatever work she's set her mind on is now squarely focussed on me. I'm sure it would appear quite intimidating to others, but I know what's coming, and the effect is not intimidating. Instead, it's one of resignation. She's going to tell me how stupid I was to do what I did, and how she feels it's too awkward between us, and we can't be friends anymore.

I can barely watch the hand gestures as they spell out the inevitable...
[Misha, I'm quite worried about you. You seem distracted, and so dejected. It's making me sad to look at you.]
And there's the... wait, what?
I'm pretty sure I must have visibly double-taken, as Shicchan gave me a questioning look, obviously as confused by my reaction as I was surprised at her announcement. She quickly returned to her previous expression though, and continued:
[You've been off your food too, you barely touched your curry bread yesterday and you only ate the bentou I made you out of courtesy.] She looked fairly hurt while she signed that last part, so it only felt right to offer an apology. Shicchan accepted with a slight smile, one which radiated sincerity, certainly not the smile one gives just as a formality, like when greeting a stranger. The feeling of my self-loathing now was twisting in my gut, forming a lump in my throat and a heaviness behind the eyes – why does she still treat me the way she does, even after my selfish faux pas? I'd almost rather she did hate me, a deserved retribution for my actions.

But if she did leave me, I'd lose the most caring friend anyone could want. I don't deserve it, I don't deserve her, but if she left, that might just be it. My life would lose all meaning...

[I'm taking you to see the nurse, I think you might be showing early signs of DEPRESSION. And I can't allow my best friend to feel like that, so we're going now.] The word depression clanged around the room despite it's silence, and even Shicchan seemed to wince in discomfort while signing it. The look in her eyes, almost disciplinarian, and a slight sharpness to her hand movements tell me that I don't have much of a choice in this matter, so we pack away the paperwork and the stapler, and leave for the auxiliary buildings.

“Come in! Door's unlocked, I won't bite!” came the optimistic sounding entry-call from the office. Shicchan rolled her eyes and twisted her mouth slightly once the 'invitation' had been relayed to her, but I think she'd stopped by the time we entered. Either that, or the nurse just didn't notice. Or care.

“Ah, Hakamichi and Mikado, the gruesome twosome! What can I do for you today?” he exclaimed, not even trying to suppress a huge grin across his face. Shicchan shot him a loaded stare at this, and this time he definitely noticed, immediately turning to a much more serious, doctor-like expression.

Shicchan began to tell the nurse everything she had noticed that was unusual in the past few days. When speaking for her, it gets pretty easy to just detach yourself to some extent and say it how she'd like it to be said – sometimes it's difficult, but no-one seems to mind. However, talking about myself for her is strange, almost like my presence there is awkward but I have to be there for reasons of practicality. After a while, the nurse turned to me and, pulling out a well-worn notepad from his jacket pocket, started to ask me some questions. Most of them essentially recapped on what Shicchan had already told him, but I wasn't going to overcomplicate things, and decided to just answer them anyway.

After about 15 minutes of questions the nurse looked down at his notes, and then relaxed his gaze slightly, as if he was about to say something. However, he didn't for a few moments, and instead started to stare at an unimportant section of a wall, gently slapping his jaw with two fingers and ticking in time with his tongue. I turned to Shicchan – not to say anything, just as something to relieve the sensation of waiting, even though it had only been about a minute since we stopped our discussion. There she is, the cause of all my pain yet still my raison d'être, seemingly unfazed by the world around her. Just one of her many endearing qualities I suppose; some see it as aloofness, others as coldness, but I see it as just a contentness with life most would envy. It's just a shame I can't share in it...

The nurse lets out a small cough – I'm unsure if he actually was clearing something or just getting my attention, but it achieved the latter either way. It seems he's ready to give his verdict, as he takes a seat whilst putting his notepad away.

“Mikado, it's too early to determine whether you are actually depressed or whether you are just going through a bad spell. It's for this reason that I am unwilling to let you go on antidepressants until we can be sure that they are what you need – the potential side effects of those are something that would have to be seriously weighed up against.” A small wave of grim relief crosses my head – at least for now, I won't have anything behaviour altering in my body, although could it be argued that my behaviour has already been altered? The heavy grey cloud in my head seems to be making light work of that. I look to my left and see Shicchan with what looks to be an accepting face... Or is it agreement?

“Instead, I recommend that you remove any factors that may work towards lowering your mood. That means ensuring you get enough sleep if possible, eating healthily and at regular times in the day, not watching anything distressing. Try to get some exercise in – it doesn't have to be 10km runs, but you should aim for about 30 minutes of walking a day. It should also go without saying, stay away from alcohol. You shouldn't be drinking it anyway, but it'd only serve to make it worse.” He said this last part with the tiniest of smiles, as if he knew I wouldn't anyway, but I suppose it's covering all possibilities. All except one...

“Does that mean Shi...” I had made sure not to sign this, but the nurse was already stopping me before I could finish. Still holding a hand out, he responded with a firm shake of the head “No. I understand what happened may have triggered this, but she is your friend and severing those that care about you is the absolute worst thing you can do.” I think I may have relayed this to Shicchan without realising, as she looked at me gently nodding.

The nurse OFFERED to allow me and Shicchan the afternoon off to relax and address any issues (I think I know what he meant, but didn't press it further), but the look on Shicchan's face told me she didn't want to miss class today, as we'd already missed most of the morning. I suppose class would keep my mind off things for a bit, so I agree, and we start to make our way to the door, thanking the nurse for his time. He responded with a decidedly more serious smile than the one we were greeted with, and requested that we see him in a week's time to see how I'm doing. With that, we made our goodbyes, and left the office.

Turning to Shicchan, an overwhelming surge of emotions came over me – frustration, gratitude, yet most of all a crushing helplessness flooded into my head, causing waves of tears to start spilling from my eyes. She held her arms out, and I couldn't stop myself from crashing into her, and uncontrollably sobbing into her shoulder,
“What's wrong with me​?"

Next > >
Last edited by RandomHuman on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Oh yes the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it" – Rafiki, Lion King

"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little and broken.... but it's still good...." - Stitch, Lilo and Stich
Alpacalypse

Re: Learning to move on

Post by Alpacalypse »

This is actually something I haven't seen explored before on the forums, so it's nice that someone's finally doing something about it.
Your writing style is nicely descriptive and it's good to see someone do first person Misha without masses of tildes and/or excessive exuberance.

Not the kind to pick up on spelling mistakes myself, but I do have one point on formatting (I think it's formatting, anyway):
RandomHuman wrote:Slowly, as if the thought of a helpless Shicchan sent my body into autopilot, I get out of bed, and begin my morning preparations.

I haven't had a chat with Shicchan now for a week.

Is there a time-skip here? If so, you might want to do something other than just continue the prose, because it's a little confusing. I'd recommend using a line of asterices or dashes like this:
I'll see Bob tomorrow.

Sitting in the classroom with Bob...

Still, whatever works for you.

Good start either way. *tips hat* Please continue.
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Yes, the time-skip-or-not confused me as well. In the beginning I wasn't sure if she was just remembering her dream or what had happened the day/week before either.

There are a few lines that are worded a bit awkwardly - nothing too bad, but it happens quite a bit, and in a few instances I wouldn't believe the narrator is Misha.

The only thing I'd really call into question is why they would go to the nurse when Misha's problem is depresion. He's probably not qualified to make a call on this kind of problem.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
RandomHuman

Post by RandomHuman »

Yeah ive already started editing the next chapter to include time parts and basically just polishing it up a bit more. Wont be out until the end of next week
"Oh yes the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it" – Rafiki, Lion King

"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little and broken.... but it's still good...." - Stitch, Lilo and Stich
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Mirage_GSM wrote: There are a few lines that are worded a bit awkwardly - nothing too bad, but it happens quite a bit, and in a few instances I wouldn't believe the narrator is Misha.
Yeah, that one's my fault. It might be worth me studying her speech patterns and whatnot in the VN, see what comes out. Thanks for the feedback on that, it'll help out :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

RandomHuman

Re: Learning to move on - (Chapter 2)

Post by RandomHuman »

Chapter 2 - Emi

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ughh... 5 more minutes...

BEEP BEEP BEEP

You're not gonna give up are you...

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fine... You win.

I turn over and slam my fist into the 'OFF' button of my alarm clock, before slowly sitting up in my bed and yawning loudly. What did I even set my alarm this early for anyway?

As the realisation hits me my eyes shoot open and I feel a surge of energy running through my veins, Today is running day! The first day back on my old training schedule. Well, not just running day but also the first day back at Yamaku as a third year, I suppose that's pretty important as well. But not right now it's not, theres more important matters at hand.

I race to put on my prosthetics and pull myself into my P.E. kit. It was always a pain getting one my size, especially since the first years were slightly larger than they usually are. But the nurse put in a word with the school and they reserved a uniform in my size early for my running sessions. Just in time too, the old ones where starting to get alot of holes in them.

As I look myself over in the mirror I cant help felling like something is'nt right with the size. I mean, the top fits well enough but I cant help thinking that my shorts seem awfully... umm... short?

As I turn around and look in the mirror, the esposed curvature of my ass (which has never even touched the sides of my usual running shorts) just confirms my suspicions. I start to wonder if the nurse did this intentionally as a prank on me... but then I realise, its the nurse, of course its a prank.

I make a mental note to get him back for it when I see him for my check up and make my way to the track.

This is it, last lap. Give it all you've got Ibarazaki.

I'm sweating profusely and my legs are starting to ache, but nonetheless I power through, with only one thought on my mind.

Come on don't let him down now! You're so close!

As I cross the finish line with a smile over my face I begin my cool down lap, as I grab my water bottle I'm panting heavily, and am barely able to gulp down the water fast enough. Eventually it fades, just as I finish my cool down.

Well done Ibarazaki, he'd be proud.

I smile as the thought crosses my mind, and decide to jog it back to the nurse's office after my streches. Back to my old routine.Back to what feels natural.

Back to what's normal.

I reach the nurse's office pretty early and I see by the 'GENIUS AT WORK' sign (I cringe every time I see it), that he's working with another student, so I decide to sit down and rest while I'm waiting for him to finish. As I do, though, an evil thought pops into my head. I quickly grab the nurses sign and slide it behind a conveniently placed potted plant in the corridor... Ok so mabye not evil but still payback to get rid of that crappy sign.

As I smile to myself as I wait. That'll teach him to try and pull a prank on me, Emi 1 - Nurse 0.

I'm not waiting very long. Actually, it couldn't have been more than a minute before a boy with a fairly large hat and band aids over his right ear comes out. Now that I think about it I think he's from Rin's art class. I smile at him as he walks past me so not to be rude but as I'm about to walk into the nurse's office, I notice him stareing as he walks off.

What the?

I follow his gaze and realise he's looking at my now sweaty and very revealing P.E. Shorts. I glare at him and that seems to scare him enough to keep him looking on forward.

I guess that was the joke about getting me these shorts.... Emi - 1 Nurse - 1.

Without waiting for the nurse to invite me in I walk into the office and am about to give him an earful, but as he swivels in his chair and sees me he gets up and runs away into the back room of his office. I follow him and try the door, locked.

So, any suspicion that the shorst might have been an accident are out the window.

"Hey asshole open up!" I wouldn't usually be so blunt but there must have been over a dozen boys that I passed on the way over here, and I bet at least half of them were staring when I wasn't looking. I bang on the door twice, emphasising my seriousness.

"I'm guessing you got the P.E. kit that I got you then?" Even through the door I can tell he's wearing that stupid smug look on his face. "How does it fit? Not too baggy for you, I hope!" His voice cracks at the end of his sentence - unable to hold his laughter any longer, I hear him giggling to himself.

"You know damn well that isn't the problem, I didn't even realise it was that bad until I caught that freak with the hat staring at me!"

He can't hold himself back any longer and he start laughing manically from behind the door. He sounds like a hyena on laughing gas, and that just gets me more pissed.

"It's not funny!" I moan, slumping back into one of the many chairs in the office. Almost instantly I hear a click and the door opens, and a still giggling nurse comes creeping out, poking his head around the door. "Come on.... It kinda was... and I swear they didn't have any your size so I saw an opportunity!"

I can't help but smile at his cheesy grin but I regret it immediately, trying to keep my hard exterior.

After he determines it's safe I decide to give him the silent treatment as he looks my legs over. Thankfully, it's over quickly. But as I get up to go he pulls something from inside of his desk and hides it behind his back.

"What's that?" As soon as the words pass my lips I sigh heavily, knowing I've fell into his trap.

"Haha! So you haven't lost your voice!" he brings his empty hands to his front, showing exactly what I expected.

Rookie mistake Ibarazaki, rookie mistake!

I stand to leave but he speaks the moment I get up, "I was being serious before, even with me asking a week ago the ones your size where all taken by the first years and only the smaller ones where left... and Since your supposed to keep yours from last year there wasnt anything I could do."

I curse to him under my breath and walk out.

Well I guess I've got these shorts till there's some more IN STOCK... Great.

I make my way back to the dorm rooms and immediately go to wake Rin up. Usually Rin's a pain in the ass at getting up and it takes me at least two attempts, so I thought I might as well get the first attempt out the way early. I grab Rin's door key from my room and just let myself in.

However, as I am about to start my usual routine of aimlessly shouting at Rin and trying to reason with her woozy protestations (which are, amazingly, even more unusual than when she's awake), I am taken aback by the strong aroma emanating from the room. Instead of the usual slightly stale, musty smell of Rin's dorm, I'm treated to delightful smell of ... Flowers? Well not flowers exactly, more of a fresh smell. Like I'm in the middle of a meadow or something.

"Hey Rin wake up, and what the hecks that..."

As I walk in I'm taken by complete surprise. In front of me is a spotless room filled with a dozen different assortments of flowers scattered across the room, and in the middle of it is a fully dressed and a very annoyed looking Rin. "Woah.... umm, Rin. What happened?"

Rins annoyance seems to fade into confusion as she gives me a quizzical look, "What do you mean? A lot of things have happened, for example you've just unlocked my door without knocking, then asked me what's happened. But you already know that, so why are you asking? Unless your memory has been lost in the last 30 seconds it took you to ask that question, in fact, that's highly doubtful. But not impossible, like if you fell over and it was just too fast for me to see... Or while I wasn't looking." Rin peers closer at me, but when she decides that she's not going to catch me falling and getting up at faster than light speed, gives up." Yeah probably the second one."

Now it's my turn to look confused. "Wha... I didn't fall, I meant the flowers... And how did you get dressed without help?"

Rin suddenly looks less perplexed by the situation. "Oh, well that makes more sense. You wouldn't have known about the flowers because Saki only got them yesterday. And you wouldn't know why I'm up because you fell over. Well we have school today, so you might want to get dressed yourself, that is of course assuming you're going. But taking into account you have nowhere else to be I highly doubt you wont go." Rin looks satisfied at the conversation and goes back to looking annoyed. “I don't like these flowers as much as last night.... They didn't smell as..... fake last night."

I'm close to asking how 'fake' real flowers could smell but stop myself as I realised what Rin has just accidentally told me. "Wait a minute. Who's Saki? And why did you have flowers last night?"

Right on cue, before Rin can open her mouth to speak, a girl dressed in standard Yamaku uniform comes walking in behind me. "Sorry I took so long Rin, I got lost and..... Oh hello there."

The girl stops in her tracks and blushes slightly - obviously she wasn't expect anyone else to be in Rin's room. "I'm Enomoto, but you can call me Saki. I just moved in across the hall. You're Emi Ibarazaki right? Oh Rin told me alot about you, how did your run go this morning?"

I'm taken aback by the her completely casual attitude - if someone where to see us from the corridor they would probably assume Saki was an old friend. "Oh, umm... Yeah that's me, and fine... I guess. But wait a minute. Did you get Rin dressed?" The words came from my mouth a bit more accusingly than I would have liked but that's the least of my worries right now.

Saki seems to brush my words off without breaking stride - I didn't think she had actually heard me until she turned on her heels ad answers, "Well yeah, that's what friends are for right? Besides, Rin promised to let me help out on her mural so I kinda owed her."

The words hit me like a ton of bricks. Rin never lets anyone help her with the mural.... not even me if she can get away with it. Stranger still, the mural doesn't actually have to be finished until the Yamaku festival, just under 6 months away, and Rin has always just started it about a month before the festival.

I turn to Rin,whos still looking with a slight angry expression at a bouquet of lilies on her desk, and ask "But the festival is months away, what are you starting early for?"

"Well it's obvious - I needed someone who could see my demons, and Saki has demons in her that are worse than anything I can imagine, so what's the point in waiting when I've got the perfect subject to probe? That and she said she'd help out in the mornings from now on so it will give you longer with the nurse and whatever. " Rin says this all nonchalantly and shrugs as she's explaining it. But I'm still confused.

"I have spinocerebellar ataxia." Saki says quickly, obviously trying to make herself seem less of a mental patient than Rin had led me to believe. "It's a genetic disorder affecting the way my brain works, im not gonna turn into a physco or anything,"

She's obviously trying to make light of her situation but it's not working. I barely notice though, having zoned out around spinocerebella or whatever it's called. But I'm not sure what's unsettling me most.

What? This isn't right... Rin should be in bed... I should be in the shower. Who the hell is she...No, don't be silly Ibarazaki, give her a chance.

But I can't... I gotta get out of here.

All of a sudden my speech goes funny, like I can't get out the simplest sentence, and my knees go wobbly. Saki looks worried. "Hey Emi, are you alright? You don't look so good."

I can't... Why is she here!? Things were supposed to be normal, like they have been... come on Emi, say something, anything!

" I..... IGOTTAGODOSOMETHING!" I dash out of Rin's room and into mine, getting my wash bag and bolting down the hall to the showers. It's not until I'm halfway there I stop and think about what's just happened.....

......Have I been replaced.

I had hoped that a warm shower would make me feel better, but no such luck. I get out and begin drying myself off and cant help but start thinking more and more paranoid thoughts.

She doesn't need you any more, Ibarazaki. She's traded you in for a better version, a version that could drop dead at any minute, though...... But she actually has legs.

I shake my head; maybe I'm just paranoid. It's not like she's gonna stop having lunches with me and stop talking to me just because she has a new friend. I laugh at myself as I wrap the towel around my torso and make my way back down the hall to my room. Yeah, so what if Rin has a new friend, you're still her best one... Well, she's my best friend at least, but I'm pretty sure the feeling's mutual.

As I reach my room I stop before entering and carry on into Rin's room next door. I guess I should apologise to her, although I bet Rin being Rin she wouldn't even have noticed I'd done anything weird.

I knock on the door before entering, she hasn't yet worked out how to open doors without at least a bit of help.

Rin is alone, Saki must have left after my little outburst. “Hey rin, look.... I want to apologise for running out on you and Saki earlier. I guess I was just a bit surprised" I said, as Rin looks up at me quizzically.

"Huh? What took you by surprise? Was it the flowers, I knew they were a bit much but they were necessary for me and Saki to get in the right mindset." I giggle at Rin's obliviousness to what happened earlier.

"Huh, it doesn't matter Rin. Forget I said anything." I silently curse myself as I see Rin about to speak, with that competitive look in her eye, like she's about to check mate you in chess... If she could play chess. I speak again quickly as to try and change the subject. "Anyway, what do you want for lunch today? I made some sandwiches last night or would you prefer some noodles."

Rin stared blankly, making no indication that she was listening to what I had just said. I was about to repeat myself but she eventually answered,"Oh yeah, I can't have lunch with you, Saki promised to let me talk to her about her demons so I can get more of an understanding of her when we work together. in fact, this murals going to be special,so special ill have to spend alot more time with demon girl, so you wont need to make me lunch, for a while."

What? But... Rin. Shh! Stay strong Ibarazaki, Rin does have her own life....

"Oh, well tell me if you change your mind, you'll know where to find me." Quickly I exist the room and enter my own, locking the door and falling against it.

Suddenly things weren't so normal. All I wanted was to have things the way they were; my morning runs, nurses witty (if sometimes inappropriate) small talk, and Rin,.me and Rin the best friends who were made for each other.... But I guess it's not exactly gonna pan out that way after all.

Slowly the days passed by, without Rin to look out for I guess I was pretty lonely. Not like Rin was my only friend, but she was my closest. Everyone else just seems to have their own things going on, what with it being a new school year and all. So I often found myself alone during lunch breaks, and after school too. Most nights I'd just sit in my room, with only my own thoughts.

During the first few days I started going on more runs, but I couldn't keep it up. My runs became more sporadic, and if there was one thing I needed it was a little bit of consistency, no matter how little it actually was. So the next few days I just kinda started being alone; I don't know a lot of people as well as I thought I did. It turns out not a lot of people have stuff in common with an amputee whose only escape is physical exercise.... Who knew.
BEEP BEEP BEEP

I immediately get up and slam my fist into the clock, making it cease it's irritating function. I look over to my calendar and see that it's Friday, P.E day. Unfortunately it's swimming and as you could imagine it'd be pretty hard for me to attempt it. Great, another day of doing nothing.

I get up and put on my running gear, including the short shorts, even though the nurse told me there was a shipment in yesterday of bigger ones. I don't think I mind the occasional stares some of the boys ( and girls when they think I'm not looking) - it makes me feel wanted, like I'm not completely useless.

When I'm ready I make my way to the track and do my usual routine: stretch out, do my endurance then finish with the sprints. It's slowly getting easier the more I continue and I feel good enough to attempt a few extra laps than usual.

After I'm finished, I can feel the effect of the extra laps, and the sweat is practically pouring off of me. It makes me glad my class have got swimming today, I don't think I'd be able to handle a whole day at school.

I do my cool down lap and slowly make my way over to the nurse's building. There's no rush, I'll probably not do anything else today anyway.

But as I reach the nurse's building I hear a strange sound from inside, like someone crying. As I rush to investigate I'm startled by a girl from class 3-3 (Shizune I think her name is) and her translator hugging, the latter mumbling something to herself as the deaf girl tries to comfort her.

"What's wrong with me?" As I get closer I hear the pink haired girl and what's she's moaning;I turn to her and she looks up at me. The deaf girl hasn't noticed me yet but Pinky looks embarrassed and tries to compose herself. "Oh um... Hi"

This is enough to make Shizune aware of my presence and she immediately starts signing to her pink-haired counterpart. Her mood perks up a little... but only a little. "Oh, Shicchan is sorry you had to witness that..."

I immediately feel my cheeks turning red as I'm not fully sure what I had just actually witnessed. "Umm.. It's okay, people feel upset sometimes. It's what makes us human, not like some emotionless cyborg." I look down at my blades "Even if I am kinda a bit of both..."

The pink haired girl smiles, obviously too upset to laugh, "Yeah, I guess you're right... I'm Misha by the way."

Now I smile, her smile is nice...contagious even. "Ibarazaki, but you can call me Emi. You sure you're okay?"

"I already know that, you're the school's leading track star! I'm pretty sure everyone knows you! And yeah, I'm fine. Just a little... low, I guess." She looks embarrassed for a second then shrugs it off, noticing Shizune trying to say something. "Shicchan says that it's nice getting to know you but we really must be going, we have a lot to do.... Aww really Shicchan? That's a little mean, she was only trying to see if I'm OK."

"Um.. It's okay you know, I've got to see the nurse anyway. See ya Misha, Shizune." They return my goodbyes (well Misha does, Shizune opting for a sincere but good-hearted nod) and I take my leave, but before I enter the nurse's office I turn back to them. Misha is looking at me, slightly embarressed.

Was she staring at my.....

I shake my head, don't be silly Emi. "And Misha, there's nothing wrong with being low... It happens to the best of us." I smile at her and open the nurse's door before walking in with a slight grin on my face

Mabye its time I get to know a few more people.... rather than them know my reputation.

Ok so this came a little earlier than it was supposed to but its just because my computer doesnt seem to like saving text files at the minute so i didnt want to risk losing a big chunk of story so please forgive anything ive missed. (And if you read this leave a comment with anything you want to tell me about the series, all feedback is appreciated) Since this is gonna be a long story can another writer please message me and tell me how to do the link to the next chapter of the story thing.... im starting to go uber noob :/

Mirage_GSM

Re: Learning to move on - (Chapter 2) - UPDATED 30/04/2015

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Okay, that was a bit... bizarre? That is, even more bizarre than Rin usually is. ^^° Emi too - she's reacting a bit too strongly and too quickly to Saki's intrusion. On the other hand we now have a clearer picture of where this story is going.

A bit about the timeline:
I'm pretty sure in chapter one you had Misha confess to Shizune shortly after the end of the summer holidays in their second year.
This chapter starts with Emi on the first day of their third year - about eight months later. So assuming the scene Emi walked in on at the end of this chapter is the same as at the end of chapter one, there has to be a mix-up somewhere.

Also there only a bit more than two months from the beginning of the school year to the festival, not six.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Re: Learning to move on - (Chapter 2) - UPDATED 30/04/2015

Post by Oddball »

The only thing I'd really call into question is why they would go to the nurse when Misha's problem is depresion. He's probably not qualified to make a call on this kind of problem.
I'm willing to chalk that up to Shizune and Misha not knowing as much about everything as they like to think.

I'm sure Shizune would justify it by saying that depression is a medical condition so they need to see the head medical specialist.
"It's a genetic disorder affecting the way my brain works, im not gonna turn into a physco or anything,"
It's spelled psycho.
......Have I been replaced.
Needs a question mark.

Other than that, the stories have been some nice character work.
Not Dead Yet