A New Dawn - A Miki pseudo-route [Chapter 5 added 25/06/16]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Razoredge

A New Dawn - A Miki pseudo-route [Chapter 5 added 25/06/16]

Post by Razoredge »

Let me explain one thing ^^ I have created a new character, so, four new names for the four chapters ^^
And, I wil make three endings : A bad, a neutral and a good end ^^

Hypothetical Eikichi's theme
My fiction in French
And a huge thank to one of my friend who did this drawing for me ♥

- Prologue

Act I : Those who lived
• I - Dawn of a new life
- Eikichi discovers his new school
• II - Wake up in confusion
- First meeting with Lilly and plans for a new run.
• III - Run until you fall
- Our hero first race in Yamaku.
• IV - Painful mind, painful legs
- Pain in legs, Pain in mind, a few words with Hanako.
• V - Recovery begins
- Eikichi runs again, featuring some books.

Act II : A new hope

Act III : Hand in hand

Act IV : Delusion

Prologue

There are two big passions that guide my life : Running and history. I could spend hours on a track, running until I collapse. And spend entire nights reading books on mythology or the middle ages.
I don't think I'm amazing at running, but I can manage. Oh boy, I can manage. Even when it rains, I'm outside and I run. It was the only way I had to escape my boring, dull life. Always the same things. Day after day. Doing the same things, talking to the same people...

As long as my feet hit the track, I feel finally myself. During these races, my only goal was to push my limits. I didn't care about tomorrow, or what happened yesterday, or anything else. Only then, I was truly happy.

….......

Two months have passed since my last race... Two months that I've spent in this fucking same hospital bed. Two months without being able to do anything but spend my days watching the TV and talking to my parents, or whoever else came to visit me. It's also two months that this bandage mock me. Trying its best to cover something that has disappeared, as if it hoped I wouldn't notice. Bandage or not, it changes nothing. It doesn't change the fact that my right arm is gone. It only serves to try to hide what is too visible.

I remember that night. That blurry night two months ago. I don't remember everything, but I can recall certain things. I went to my friend's place for a party and my Mum was kind enough to pick me up at around 4am. Everything was pretty quiet, there's no one else driving around at that time. I remember that the night was cold but I still had my window open. I was a little tired... and after that, there's a big black hole in my memory.

My mother told me what had happened after my wake up. The guilt in her eyes was obvious... She thought it was her fault. She has suffered a few fractures, whereas myself? I had to lose a part of my arm. It was hard to get used to this, but not as much as leaving my old school.

“What? But... Why?!” I said to my mother.

“Eikichi, please calm down... It's hard for you, I know... But in your current state, your old school is simply out of the question..." she answered me, trying to keep a quiet tone.

“But... All my friends are there. Can't I just stay at home? I couldn't bear...” I was really worried.

“Your mother's right Eikichi. Your school is not an option... but I'm afraid we can't teach you at home either. It's simply too much for us! Look, five days ago we went to an institute, I'm sure you will like be over there. Everyone is like you! It's a school designed to benefit people like you!" My father tried to appease me.

An institute? For 'people like me'..? Damn, I hate how that sounds. Since when people with disabilities must be segregated into institutions?! This idea disgusted me. I was seething, which made the doctor take a quiet tone with me.

"You know Eikichi, it's not as bad as it seems. You will very quickly be accepted over there and no one will judge you. And you will make new friends, believe me. The decision is brutal indeed, but we made it for your own good." He has explain things like a child. Really pathetic.

"My own good? For my own good, I have to agree to go to a school where we put students with disabilities because the system is not normal for them!? How can you say this?" I was reasonably irritated.

"A blinded student can't take a course without help in the normal system, you see?" he told me, serious and quiet.

I see his point. Admittedly, his example took me by surprise. No matter how angry I am, there's no mistake, he was absolutely right. I have to calm down and try to think with a clear mind, I'll have to sleep on it. In all fairness,I was going to enter this school in the next academic year, which was in a week. I certainly have time to adapt myself before that.

All feedbacks are welcome.

Dem Credits :
French Writing and English translation : Razoredge
Drawing : Nindaei Murmuresoleil
Last edited by Razoredge on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
Gajzla

Re: A New Dawn - A Miki's love story

Post by Gajzla »

I might be being stupid, but i’m not 100% sure on what gender your character was. At first I thought it was Miki but apparently not. Also I’m not a fan of the script style of speech, but that might be personal preference. I know the miki route uses it.

I know this has been kindly translated for you so I can’t be sure what has been lost or rephrased on your behalf.

When I first started writing here someone suggested reading this thread, it helped a lot.
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Its not bad so far. Not a whole lot to comment on yet, as the story hasn't really started yet. I'll keep an eye on this story.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

Gajzla wrote:I might be being stupid, but i’m not 100% sure on what gender your character was. At first I thought it was Miki but apparently not. Also I’m not a fan of the script style of speech, but that might be personal preference. I know the miki route uses it.

I know this has been kindly translated for you so I can’t be sure what has been lost or rephrased on your behalf.

When I first started writing here someone suggested reading this thread, it helped a lot.
Oh yeah, I totally understand your doubt about the gender ^^
I call my character Eikichi, because it's a boy, and because I love Eikichi Onizuka XD
Well, I totally understand too the fact that script style can't be loved by all of us, but it's a personal preference, yes ^^
Yeah, I read it too ^^ And for the translation, I say to him that he is free to translate. I don't like words-to-words translation, but I hope his translation was kindly closed to my french writing ^^ But I let him free about this ^^ I just hope that his translation is good ^^

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Not a great fan of script-style writing either. And no, it's not just personal preference.
Script style is lacking a lot of decriptive bits that add a lot of atmosphere. It's also an immersion breaker.
There's a reason you call it "script style" even though technically other fanfictions are written as well: It's used as a script for pieces that are meant to have a visual component like plays or VNs not designed to stand on their own.

As for having the story translated... Munch seem sto have done a good job, but from what I've read in your few posts so far, your English is not really bad. You would probably do better writing in English yourself and having a proofreader smooth out the edges.

Not much to say about the story itself so far.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

Before, I wasn't a great fan of script style too ^^
But, really, writing a story in english can be good, but it will take much more time for me.... And my english is, for me, limited ^^ But if you want, I can write this by myself, but I promise nothing ^^

Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

Act I: Those who lived
Chapter I : Dawn of a new life

The view that greeted me past the gate caught me off guard. I certainly wasn't expecting that at all for a school. The courtyard was really spacious, almost too much so. A huge garden in a school wasn't something common after all... But that being said, I wasn't exactly in a “common” school.

My mother wanted to accompany me. If you ask me, she really doesn't need to. She still feels guilty, even though I've told her time and time again that what happened to me wasn't her fault. I don't hold anything against her, but she still blames herself.

Heading to the main building, it was obvious this isn't what you'd call a regular school. Although I couldn't really pick out what was different about it, it felt different to a normal school. Maybe if you consider that a normal school could exists. Upon entering the grand double door, the void I had felt outside disappeared.

The main hall was crowded with students, each probably with their own reason for being here. Some had visible disabilities, like my half-amputated arm. With others, it wasn't blatant. Without thinking I hid my bandage with my left hand, consciously knowing that it would have no effect. Sometimes a few students greeted me and I gave them a polite nod, hand still on my bandage. I was headed to the student lists, looking tentatively for my surname and which classroom they've placed me in. It wasn't easy with so many other students were trying to do the same, but eventually I found it.

Eikichi: "Omura, Omura... Oh, got it. I'm in 3-3, with... 'Mutou'. Well at least now I know where I'm going."

Mom: "You should start heading there, the hall's starting to empty."

Eikichi: "Now? But what about my clothes? And my room?"

Mom: "Don't worry about that, your father and I will take care of that. Go on, you'll be late for your first day!"

I've never been able to resist my mother's orders. I know I can be a bit of a stubborn at times, but my mother seems to be the only one to be able to keep me grounded. Hell, she's the reason that I can bear my stay at the hospital. I wanted nothing more than to leave and run, but she managed to keep me calm enough. After receiving an embarrassing kiss on the forehead, I turned to find my classroom.

Three flights of stairs later, I think I've found it. Plus there are other students still milling around, so I can't be that late. I knocked on the door of my classroom and waited for the invitation to enter, which came shortly after. As I entered, I could feel every pair of eyes in the classroom staring at me. I apologized profusely for my slight delay. The teacher gave me a strange smile as he asked me to take a seat, which took me by surprise. He wasn't angry at all?

Not knowing where to direct me, he sighed slowly and scratched his chin, before inviting me to sit next to “Miura”. Realising that I didn't know who this person was, he let out an awkward laugh and pointed me to the empty table at the front. I thanked him and quickly made my way to my table, sending a smile in greeting to my new neighbour.

The lessons started well, slowly but surely. From time to time I asked questions to my neighbour, to which she kindly answered. Rather banal questions like how to spend my free time, where the dormitories were and how big the library is.

Miki "So, you're a newbie? I thought I hadn't seen you around before!"

Eikichi "Yeah, I'm new. To be honest, I don't think I'm quite adapted to this new environment... Everything seems so surreal."

Miki "Yeah that's normal, but you'll get there! Everyone will accept you as you are, you see. We're very open here."

Miki and I were talking low enough that Mutou didn't hear us... Which wasn't the case for the pink-haired girl. Her voice was far too loud for a classroom, but the teacher didn't seem to mind at all? The lesson passed without problems, as did the following hour.

Not knowing what to eat that day, I headed to the cafeteria. Wondering with what kind of magic I will succeed to serve me with a knife. Take notes of the left hand when one is right handed is horrible.

Queuing, I could throw glances to those present. Some had lost their legs, others had lost their hands, others communicated with gestures. It was starting to remind me of my condition, and a long shiver traveled down my spine.

When it was my turn, I realized that I had to choose things I could eat with one hand. Salad, some rice and an apple should do the trick. Looking for a free place, I sat on an empty table. The hunger that tugged my stomach largely faded, as I tasted the food I would be eating. While eating, I wondered if there were any other alternatives, or at least if there was a supermarket nearby. Oh, whatever, I had all week to find out.

A question kept running through my head during the whole breakfast: Did they have an athletics club? It would seem logical for stay in shape. Even if not, it was absolutely necessary for me to run. I'd find a park, if need be. The school bell roused me from my nearly torpor, and reminded me I was here for a reason. Seems it's time for me to find my way to my classroom again.

Eikichi "Seriously, do you understand anything?"

Miki "you've got to understand, Mutou is rather passionate about this stuff. If you think this is bad, you wait until the Maths lessons..!"

Eikichi "Oh no. I'm already drained with Science, Maths is going to kill me I think."

Miki "Yeah, welcome home."

The science classes were by no means my favourites... But now I'm in the Mutou's class, I couldn't have expected him to be so in-depth. Obviously, however, I was not alone in disliking this classes. Miki and I were pretty lethargic, despite it being the first day of class. As the lesson went on, the girl with pink hair became noisy again. I felt that this was something totally accepted in this class until Mutou kindly asked her to quiet down, which she did shortly after a small squeak. The afternoon passed slowly, although the end of the lesson set me free. I was one of the last to leave the classroom, seeing the flow of students in the hallway. Without anything to do, I was really hoping that my parents hadn't unpacked for me, I would like to have something to do right about now.

Eikichi "I asked Mom to made sure to just leave my bag, out of pity. Let me at least take care of it myself...”

Arriving in the dorm, I went looking for my room. It took me longer than normal to retrieve the key from my pocket, but I was finally able to see my room number: 125. Going upstairs, I've looking for the door of my room before unlocking it. Upon entering, I noticed that they had not sorted my stuff out, which was a good thing after all.The first thing I did was open my bag and find my Mjolnir pendant. I headed for the mirror and finally put it around my neck. This had been with me for so many years, he had become my lucky charm. I also took the opportunity to quickly comb my long brown hair.

Unpacking did not take much time, so a trip to the cafeteria was decided. Although I thought the food wasn't particularly good, I was hungry and I needed to eat. I already knew what I was going to eat: Rice and fish.

The setting sun gave an orange tint to buildings, a light breeze waving my hair slowly. Recognizing few students of my class, I gave them a wave and went with them to the cafeteria. I can't remember none of their names, but I greeted them politely regardless. Waiting in line, I exchanged in small talk about the science lesson this afternoon's lesson with a guy of my class. Apparently, I really was not the only one lost with this matter. But knowledge is something important to me. I have to follow closely, even with this kind of teaching. My meal tray in hand, I sat at the same table as him. Again we exchanged some small talk about the course, nothing too interesting, but at least I had a dinner companion. He even finished his meal quickly, just like me.

Walking out into the cold air of dusk made me shiver and the wind, however slight, did not help. We headed back to the dorms, he being the second floor. Arriving at the door of my room I shook his hand, with my left, which slightly threw him off, before wishing him a good night. Laying on my bed, it took me very little time to fall asleep. Although I spent a lot of time sleeping at the hospital, I had forgotten how tiring the classes can be. I was really knackered.

AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

The main thing I noticed was that your using script format, which isn't ideal. Also, this isn't so much criticism as something I noticed, but Eikichi seems very similar to Miki(missing a hand, runs, doesn't like math). Not much to say beyond that.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

AntonSlavik020 wrote:The main thing I noticed was that your using script format, which isn't ideal. Also, this isn't so much criticism as something I noticed, but Eikichi seems very similar to Miki(missing a hand, runs, doesn't like math). Not much to say beyond that.
Yes. I wanted to make a kind of manly version of Miki. And Eikichi is also similar to one of my friend, and I miss him a lot. So.... ^^

This will be exploited in my story ^^ And all critics are welcome ^^

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Huh, it seems my earlier reply didn't post :-(

Okay, still not happy with the script format, but if you absolutely want to do it that way:
If you use script format, Eikichi is not the narrator for this part. The script-part is a reading instruction by an invisible director.
Said director wouldn't refer to Eikichi's mother as "Mom" - she would be "Eikichi's mother".

(And if Eikichi were narrating that part as well, he would refer to himself as "I" or "Myself" but I've never seen a scripted story done this way.)

Apart from that the main problem are tenses. You freely switch between present and past tense, which makes the story a bit hard to follow.

There are a few more kinks but nothing too bad. Keep at it and you'll get better in no time.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

Well, I think I will stop my "script" style ^^ For a better comprehension. And yes, I have difficulties with tenses, even in french ^^
And HE is the narrator of the story.
So, I will do my best for a better story ^^

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Razoredge wrote:And HE is the narrator of the story.
That's what I meant: If you use script style, he is not - Not for this part of the story anyway.

Nobody tells a story like this:
...Rather banal questions like how to spend my free time, where the dormitories were and how big the library is.
Miki, colon, so, you're a newbie? I thought I hadn't seen you around before!
Eikichi, colon, yeah, I'm new...
The script part of stories written this way is not part of the narration. It is a notation of stuff that is supposed to be shown visually or audibly - either in a VN, a movie or a play. That's why in my opinion it has no place in a medium that doesn't contain visual or audible elements.

If you want me to proofread your chapters for tenses just drop me a PM.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Razoredge

Re: A New Dawn - A Miki's love story [New artwork 6/2]

Post by Razoredge »

Some news.

Yeah, don't worry. Scene two will coming. I let Munchenhausen traduce in his own pace ^^ But don't worry, I don't have closed my fiction. In fact, I have write 7 scenes until today.
So, have a look to my first post in this topic, you will see a link to my story (in French of course), if you can understand French, you will see my true writing skills. You are the only judges.

So, don't worry guys ^^

Razoredge

Re: A New Dawn - A Miki's love story [Theme Upload 14/6/15]

Post by Razoredge »

After a fucking long time, the rest :D

Yeah, now, I translate my story myself. I really hope it will be correct and easy for you to understand (you know, English is not my native language ^^)
Yeah, that also why I was "absent" for a while, sorry...
So :

Chapter II : Wake up in confusion

Woken with a start by this damned pain in the arm. Sweat poured from my forehead, surprise and especially shock had quickly increased my heart rate. Four o'clock... Seriously... My breathing was still heavy, I search above all my bottle of water. It should be at the bottom of my bed, but I don't feel it.

I finally wake up, with difficulty. Searching this fucking bottle. Finally feeling it with my foot, I stretch my arm, bending myself down to take it. Wedging it between my legs, I pick up above all my painkillers. The doc always thinks that my pain isn't real, that it is just caused by the trauma, but he didn't feel it. I quickly take one of these pills with water.

Wait to get better, I must wait to get better. I will get better... I must. I wait, for five minutes, I think. Goddammit, it doesn't pass... I take my arm, at least what remains of it, slowly pressing my left hand on it. Also putting my bottle on it, this is the coldest thing I keep on hand... The pain seems to lightly ease.

My heart rate seems also to slow down. Shit! Why it always happens at night? It still has the knack of freak me out. But now it's time to sleep, I don't want to be late in class tomorrow.

In the morning, this fucking alarm clock seems to taunt me. But I must wake up. Being late in class before the end of the first week, honestly, it sucks! Frankly, what day is it? Thursday? Friday? The incident of the last night has disturbed me. I take a look at the calendar hung on my wall : Friday. Well, it remains only today and tomorrow, it will pass quickly.

I hurry to prepare myself, going out nearly late of the dorm. I forgot to take a breakfast, but nevermind, I will eat more at noon. I run as fast as possible toward the main building and then, I take the stairs two by two. I finally arrive just before that everyone comes in class. Perfect timing. But the fact to haven't run for months get me short of breath.

The class passes slowly, too much slowly in my opinion. Even if I don't really like science, I try at least to listen the lesson. And I think, only me is doing that. But it seems that the others doesn't hide this fact. Then, I have the impression that Mutou asked me something. Or, at least, he tries to catch my attention, to ask me his question.

" Omura, what is the precaution to take when mixing sulfuric acid and water?" asks me Mutou, with a light smile.

" We must make sure of pouring the acid into water, sir, and not the opposite. In order to control the protons' creation into water." I answered, sure of myself.

" Excellent answer, Omura."

He seems to be proud to know that someone understand his lessons. But smiling doesn't suit him well, I think. Well, I wasn't going in class to see him smiling. After this question, the time passed once again slowly. Miki gave me a light nudge and smiles thereafter. Seemingly, my answer would have saved them from other questions, and she seems to thank me in this way, at least I believe.

The morning's other lessons passed quickly nevertheless. As usual. But I was hungry, so I was one of the first to leave the classroom. I have only one idea in mind : go at the cafeteria, take some stuff to eat and do something else. That's what I'm doing. And I don't have to wait for a long time in the queue.

Leaving the main building, a sandwich in the hand, I wonder what to do during the rest of the lunch break. Then, I remember that all my history books are at home, and that I totally forgot to ask my mother to bring them at the first day. Well, I just need to go to the library.

So, I head towards this library. Trying to don't lose my way, and I manage to do it nearly miraculously. I wave to the librarian by entering, and she does it, almost hiding herself. Shy? Surely, but never mind. I smile to her, and lead myself in the room. So, I head towards the history section, passing firstly in the Braille section. There is only one girl in this section. She's one of the tallest girls that I have ever seen.

" I have never seen so many books in Braille. It must cost a fortune." I told her.

Really pathetic. If I wanted, I could have said something much more moronic. Opening gambits are not my strong point. I write the idea to work on it in the evening down in my mind. But that seems to not disturb her at all. On the contrary, a light laugh, almost charmer, can be heard.

" We must. Many students cannot read differently. They need this kind of books." answers me this girl.

However, she pauses, as if she tried to remember if she has already heard my voice. If she doesn't look at me, what I don't find embarrassing at all, is that she must be blind. My own stupidity is really pathetic, in the light of my opening gambit.

" Nonetheless, I don't believe to have already met you here. A newcomer, perhaps?" she sent out to me.

" Yeah, I'm a newcomer. I wasn't here the first two years. I introduce myself, Eikichi Omura, pleased to meet you." I answered her, taking a break anyway to find my words.

" Lilly. Lilly Satou. And pleased to meet you. You will fit in really quickly, you'll see." she told me, with a great smile.

" Yeah, I think I just begin to get used to this... If you see what I mean..."

Once again, my own stupidity never leave me. I despair so much that I carry my hand on my forehead, in a snap. But instead of being offended, she smiles. She doesn't seems to take it seriously. This is a good thing.

"My, my, you don't need to change your way of speaking. At least, not with me." answers me Lilly, with a light laugh in the voice.

" You see... I'm not used with all of this." I whispered, nearly ashamed.

" It will take some time, but it will come. You must get accustomed to your own disability before wanting to manage those of the others. But you'll note that we are really tolerant towards one another. Nobody will judge you, and you will be accepted as you are." she told me, still with her charmer smile.

" A sensible vision... I really must work on it. But, thank you for your advice, Lilly, sincerely. I will not disturb you any longer in your research."

" But you don't disturb me at all, Eikichi." assures me Lilly, eyes half-closed.

The resumption bell has interrupted our conversation. Apologizing for not being able to keep her company any longer, I run once again towards the classroom. I will come back this evening to take books anyway.

The history lesson is one of the few classes where I am really attentive. Not only because the subject interests me a lot, but also because the lesson is well made. The teacher asks some questions, and I'm the only one who is able to give the answers. Some of them smiles when they see I'm able to do this, surely because they would not have been able to give these answers, or for an another reason, I don't know.

The afternoon passes faster, without my ability to see hours. I really must buy a watch. I used to wear it at the right hand... Now, I will get used to wear it at the left hand. Fuck, I'm not accustomed to this... So, I go back at the library, and I come face to face with Lilly, who come out, apologizing for being almost collided with her, by lack of concentration. She smiles, surely out of politeness.

" Ladies first." I told her, lightly leaning me over, to let her pass.

" That is very kind of you, Eikichi. Thank you."

At least, she remember my name. Her hand is looking for my shoulder, probably to know where I am. I can't help smiling when seeing that. As if all the fineness and grace were condensed in this slow move. Slow but so much graceful.

I let her pass, wishing her a good evening, seeing her leaving. Well, it's time to search. Where I was looking for, this afternoon?... Ah, yeah! The History section. Any book would suit me, I just have to find any book to read.

I found what I am looking for, a book about the World War II, one book which deal with the reign of Louis XIV and finally one another book about the samurais. Therefore, I go towards the counter to register them, and then I head towards the dorm.

On my way back, Lilly's vision comes back in my mind. I have just met her today, and I really think she's a good person. She has some restraint, grace, kindness... Does she often comes alone to the library? I don't think so. But it remains to be verified, after all.

Once in my bedroom, I put my books on my desk. I will not read tonight, but at least, I have enough books for now. Firstly, I must buy something to eat. Well, once again, I will go at the cafeteria. No choice. I will go to the city to buy something to eat in the next week.

Arriving in front of the building, I recognize her. How could we confuse her with anybody else? Miki is there, while I don't have seen her earlier. Well, she surely have her reasons after all, and it's none of my business. I head towards her, smiling. She smiles in return.

" Miki Miura. No less! If I expected to see you here." I told her.

" I must eat sometimes, you know. I will buy my food later. We have the same idea, right?" she answers me, a laugh in the tone.

" To be honest, yeah. I plan to buy my own food the next week." My answer was honest, I really plan to buy my own food.

" So, we are on the same wavelength about food. By the way, come have lunch with me if you're alone." she told me, an invitation hardly hidden.

" With pleasure."

We don't have to wait for a long time in the queue. As usual, each time I come here, the wait is not very long. And once again, I'm not very original in my meal choice. Some rice and vegetables. By the way, I don't watch out for what she takes.

Then, I look for a vacant table. We sit down on a table for four people, but nobody comes to join us. During the first half of the meal, we doesn't say a word, but I'm the first who break the silence, to ask a simple question which stayed in my mind since the beginning of the week.

" Hey, Miki, do you have an athletics club or something like that?" my application is straight, full of hope.

" Yeah, of course. You want to join us, right?" she answers me, seeming to hope for a positive answer.

" Yeah, I think it would be a good thing. By the way, I haven't run since two months." I say, with a nod.

She don't seems to understand why. I shake what remains of my right arm, smiling a little, and the understanding finally light up her face. I explain her that I have spent all this time in hospital, and I really don't understand why I have spent so much time there.

" Oh. So, yeah, we have a club. The training takes place in the afternoon most of the time, but you can run in the morning, if you want." she assures me, with a great smile.

" Yeah, I definitively think that I will join the club. Run in the morning will be beneficial for me. I really need to get back in shape. I just hope I have not lost my touch." I told her.

" We'll see that on Monday morning"

She has a mocking smile, but I must meet the challenge. I would never let someone beat me in my own territory. Then, we finish our meal and we head towards the dorms, where I wish her a good night.

So, I have a race in Monday morning. With Miki. No less! I have all the weekend to prepare myself physically and mentally. It would be out of the question to give out in front of her. I don't want to lose face in front of a girl after a week.

Throwing myself in my bed, I switch off my bedside lamp. The ceiling becoming much more dark over time, I wonder if I'm able to run as much as before. Surely not, but it should come back after a month, I think. It will come back. I close my eyes, and then I slowly fall into sleep.

Razoredge

Re: A New Dawn - A Miki's love story [Theme Upload 14/6/15]

Post by Razoredge »

Chapter III : Run until you fall

The remainder of the week and the week-end have passed peacefully. I didn't done much things, except reading and attend classes, of course, and prepare mentally myself for today's running. I run versus Miki after all. If she is a member of the track club, she must be good at running. So, I have to make sure that I will not losing face.

Seven O'clock. I think it's perfect. Even if I am already awake for half an hour. I had better stop waking up so early, I will not keep up otherwise. Especially if I must be a club member. Sleeping is essential if I want to progress.

I take some cakes that my mother brought me this week-end, I put on my old sportswear and I leave the dorm. It is quite cool this morning, which is really enjoyable. There is a light wind, which is, I think, perfect. I prefer to run as soon as the wind blows, it allows to restore ideas.

Arriving on the track, I notice Miki and I wave to her, smiling. But she's not alone. An other girl is there, smaller than the two of us. Which is gripping, at first glance, is that she has no legs. At least, they are replaced by prothestics. I realize shortly afterwards that the whole thing is usual in this school, after all.... Fuck, when am I get used to this? Then, Miki introduce myself to this girl. Out of politeness? Out of courtesy? I don't know.

“ Eikichi, I introduce to you Emi. Emi Ibarazaki. The.... The best runner in the team.” Miki told me, waving her.

Emi gives me a great smile. This smile is frankly cute. I don't know if she is accustomed to smile, but that's suit her well.

“ Nice to meet you. I'm Eikichi. Eikichi Omura. Maybe a future member of the club.” I replied, giving her a nod.*

“ So, you're going to run versus Miki, right? Are you sure that you are ready for that?” pitch Emi into my face, and I don't know if she laugh at me or not.

“ I'm always ready for running” I retorted, sure of myself.

“ So, welcome to the club.” Miki mumbled, almost in an inaudible way.

Then, the two of us head towards the track. Emi stays in the background, very probably for observing us. Maybe, her training will take place after? And, as usual, before every race, I always take my necklace between my fingers. As if it will help me to win...

Afterwards, I take up a position. A knee on the ground. And I look ahead. Three months ago, my two hands would have touch the ground.... Now, only the left hand will do the job. Then, Miki says that it will be a four laps race. Perfect. And Emi will give the race start signal.

So, Emi moves forward. And I stare at her. A few seconds later, the start signal is given, and I throw myself on the track. Running has always emptied my head, but now, I must be concentrated, for staying ahead. Whatever the cost. Stride after stride, I finally feel what I haven't feel for two months : the pleasure of running.

Sometimes, Miki leads the race. So, I speed up my pace, trying to stay ahead. She runs very well. But I feel I weaken in the middle of the second lap. My legs are burning, I'm accustomed to this, but my breathing is too heavy. And this, that's not usual.

At the dawn of the third lap, my breathing is a little bit more jerky. This is frankly unusual. It wasn't the case before. I am very anxious. I have really lose my touch in only two months? But I can't weaken in front of her. So, I continue to run. Somehow. However, she leads the race. But she's very close.

My legs are burning more and more, my breathing is only a gasp, but I don't stop. Two curves left, and I will start the last lap. I must hold out. I work so hard, trying to lead the race. Waste of time, in the middle of the last lap, Miki accelerate her pace. And she wins. It was a close call.

" Eikichi, you run very well. Since when you run?" asks Emi, with a large smile.

I recover my breath before answering to Emi, I'm aware that I must be pathetic, given that I breathe hardly. But obviously, I have spark her interest.

" Oh, well, I think.... Since five years. But I had to stop running for two months, which has considerably put me down, much more that I thought. Miki is really hard to catch up."

" I'm so talented. You will do it, don't worry." Miki don't look serious, but her attitude shows the opposite.

" So, you will join the club?" asks me Emi, and she begins to pout.

I'm plagued by the cutest puppy eyes I have ever seen. She really has the knack for making cute all her interventions, while I only talk to her for a few moments. She really do it with everybody?

" Yeah, I think I will join the club. If you have a place for me of course." I only can answer positively, say no to her will be an insult.

" We always found a place for people who hope to win against Emi one day." replies to me Miki, a mocking smile on her lips.

"It's a waste of time, you know that Miki." retort Emi, softly laughing.

I don't know how to understand this declaration. As a challenge or as a try to perturb me? After all, I can't help myself from laughing when I see Miki's perplexed air, who probably think that I don't have understand.

Nevertheless, I feel silly. Can't understand a simple sentence is really disturbing. But I think I can get back to my old level. I hope, at least. But when? I don't know.

Clearly, Emi can't wait. She's already on the track, linking curves. The first thing I notice is the facility with which she runs, especially with her prosthetics. However, her smile draws my attention. A smile which combines the pleasure of running and the desire to excel. I really admire people with this state of mind.

" Eikichi, you don't need to drool at Emi, you know." Miki makes fun of me, giving me a nudge.

" Nonsense! I just admire her way of running... It's really captivating when we see that she doesn't have legs." I passably try to explain myself, for not losing face.

" Yeah.. It seems odd at the beginning. But this girl is still the fastest of the club." she assures, acquiescing.

“ Would you become jealous?” I told her, with a clearly teasing and provoking tone.

“ You're dumb.”

While Emi is finishing her last lap, Miki and I are talking about everything and nothing. About inconsequential subjects. Then, I pass my hand over my bandage, with a long sigh. I will get used to this. I know I could do it. Even if it is dreadful to write, to use a knife...

Then, Emi comes towards us, jumping joyfully in front of Miki. I have the impression of seeing an endless energetic little girl in front of me. How can she link sprints without being tired afterwards? Myself, I couldn't do this few months earlier. Even though my running level was quite good.

“ What are you waiting for? We must take a shower before attending classes.” says Emi, eyes wide open, as if she was shocked to see us.

“ By the way, what time is it?” I asked, without any notion of time in mind.

“ No idea. But I think it's better to listen to Emi if you don't want to be late.” answers Miki, as lost as me.

Emi slightly laugh, and stick her tongue out at Miki after this comment. But that's true, it's better for us to take a shower before attending classes. I help Miki to get up, et we are heading ourselves towards the dorm, with inconsequential subjects in the conversation again. When we arrived, we separate ourselves to enter in our respective dorms.

The hot water is a blessing. However, I have twenty minutes left for washing myself, dressing, taking my school stuff and attending classes. Most of the time that I spend in the shower is used to rub my legs, always somewhat painful after this race. This is the recovery, that's normal. It will disappear in a few days time.

A quick detour to my bedroom for dressing, taking my stuff and I walk toward the main building. I wave a classmate, and hear a whistling behind me. I don't have to wait, a familiar face passed in my field-of-view. It's Miki.

So, we are three now. Miki's presence is beneficial this being said, she's always in a good mood, with me. I think I will get on well with her, at least I hope. I will just don't screw up. We enters into the classroom, Mutou is following in our footsteps. The lesson begins shortly afterwards, and I'm one of the few who really listen, once again. Nonetheless, nobody is watching out for the girl who is late. Long hair hiding the half of her face, and she is nearly withdraw into herself, while she runs to her seat, to not arouse looks. Mutou seems to get used to this, because he says nothing.

I give a discreet nudge to Miki, while I'm always looking down to my sheet of paper, for not drawing attention. She understand, looking down to her sheet as well, before asking what I want to say. I quickly take notes before speaking, with the most low tone possible.

“ Hey Miki, is it usual that people are being late in the class? It seems pretty usual, given that Mutou doesn't react.” My question is expressed nearly in a whisper.

“ Not really. But that's different for Hanako. She's get used to do this.” answers me Miki, talking as low as me.

So, her name is Hanako. I write her name down in a corner of my mind. I don't like to be ignorant of the identity of my classmates. I will spend the entire year with them, after all. And if I can become friend with some of them, it will be beneficial for me. I don't really have a fondness for maintaining a large social circle, preferring to have not much friends with which I will maintain a strong relationship.

Nobody seems to have heard us, except for our respective neighbours. Perfect. I would have blame myself to have drawn attention on ourselves for a question which allowing to me to get the name of a classmate. Of course, that's not one of the better methods, but Hanako seems to be fundamentally shy. She speaks to nobody, stays always in class when we go out for the lunch break. I wouldn't want to push around her.

The lesson continues as usual, half of the class seems lethargic, whereas I keenly takes notes. Some of the informations that Mutou gives to us are include in the book, but I can't help writing. My left-hand writing is awful, I find it difficult to read over my work, and I must to write more carefully than before. Nevertheless, Hanako intrigues me. She doesn't seems to want to speak to the others. She's always alone? Does she have friends? That kind of questions invade my mind for the rest of the lesson.

…...................................

“ So, Eikichi, tomorrow morning at the same time, right? Like that, you'll officially be one of us.” told me Miki, whispering to be not heard by Mutou.

“ I can't see a better thing. I will be present. At the time appointed.” I replied, as well as low as possible.

The day has passed quite quickly, that's right. However, not as I would have think at first sight. My legs are still a little painful, but that's tolerable. Tomorrow will be definitely harder. It always works like that. The second day, even in recovery, is the harder. But I'm more than determined to get my old level back.

Fifteen minutes remaining. But even then, I have the impression of not having seen the time. Running had to clean up my mind. I always feel as good as before, and it makes me really happy. I was frightened to not feel the need to run again, but it's still present.

Finally, the close of day's bell release us. Nonetheless, Miki asks me for not waiting for her, and that Emi will go with me this evening for dinner. I don't have the time to ask why, she already leaves us. Emi, as for her, welcomes me with one of the greatest smile possible. It's really enjoyable to see someone so happy to live.

Then, we head ourselves towards the cafeteria, joined by two club members. Emi takes care of the presentations and reveal that I will surely be a club member from tomorrow. It seems that they welcome this news with pleasure. Fine.

This time, they don't have fish. And I absolutely can't content myself with vegetables. I imperatively must eat something which is much more substantial. Struggling against myself, to hide the fact that I wonder how I will do it, I move forward and take the first thing I see. Then, I leave Emi passes ahead to find a vacant table.

I manoeuvre to place myself next to her, and finally sit down. First at all, I begin with my salad, and it is short-lived. But the moment to eat my meat comes. And Emi isn't slow to see that I haven't absolutely no idea of how to do this. With a half arm less, all which was normal and acquired for me becomes a true ordeal now. She smiles to me, and pull my tray.

“ Let me do this Eikichi. With a single hand, you will never succeed.” told to me Emi, with a tone as friendly as possible.

“ Emi... What are you... doing?” I retorted, reasonably dazed of what is happening.

“ I just help you. You must eat, right?” she answers, taking a nearly maternal tone.

“ Yeah... But...” I whispered.

She doesn't let me finish my sentence and begins to cut my piece of meat. I feel I am useless now... Almost ashamed... Depend on someone that I hardly knows to be able to eat normally. I could cut this with the side of my fork, with a single hand, but it could take so much time. But I could have do this alone. Emi's help is certainly welcomed, but I can't bear the idea of depending on someone.

Emi sees how I look peeved, and I look at my feet, my headis lowered to the ground. She stop, look at me with attention before giving me a nudge, smiling, searching for her words. Then, she finds them, and speaks very gently.

“ I'm sorry to have forced you, Eikichi. I just wanted to help you. I don't like to see people surrender, you know.” Emi tries to comfort me as she can.

“ I wouldn't have refused your help, you know... I just don't want to become a millstone for the others.” I answered, lowering more my head, and I look at my feet, again.

“ You will never be a millstone for anybody. Here, each of us help the others as we can. And nobody will look down on you.” she told to me, slowly putting down her hand on my shoulder.

A tap on my shoulder goes along with this sentence, and she slowly finish what she's doing. Then, she gives my tray back to me, always smiling. I thank her, however with a little tone in the voice. Even if Iike her help, I always have this idea in mind. The fact to depend of someone to fulfill a task like as simple as a single meal.

But I must eat. And my meal is short-lived indeed, hunger pricking my stomach. Then, the dessert reach out to me. A tasty chocolate cake. Two layers of biscuit, each of them covered with a thin layer of chocolate, as well as a frosting on the top. I always had a soft spot for chocolate cakes. This one will not make exception.

And it makes no exception. I have never been able to resist against chocolate, and I think I will never be able to. But contrary to the another times, the cooking was good. I must give a new chance to the cafeteria's food. Of course, I always have in mind the plan to buy my food myself, but I can't dismiss the idea to eat cheaper. Money wasn't my principal worry, my parents always gave me some money, even when I don't need money. They take care of me too many, I think.

Then, we reach the dorms, a short time afterwards having finish our meal. I leave Emi in front of her dorm, wishing her a good night, and especially after asked her to remind me the hour of the race of the next day's morning. In the end, I could wake up once again at 7AM. It's a good hour for me, I used to wake up at this hour, even in the hospital. Although the doc always asked me to stay longer in bed. And I couldn't decently do this.

Entering my bedroom, I change my clothes and throw myself in my bed, rolling myself around in the blanket. I fall asleep nearly immediately, before reminding to set my alarm clock to wake up tomorrow. Missing a race is an unforgivable act for me. And I'm the one who wants to recover his best running level. I will ask to Emi if she has some tricks to reach this goal much more quickly.

Darkness are the last visible thing in my bedroom. Sleep comes very fast. An another day will start tomorrow, a new step to overcome. In a week, I will not feel these burns anymore. I'm convinced. My last thought before sleeping is the vision of Emi, helping me during the meal, and the feeling of being useless strike me again. I must resist to this. I must. Tomorrow is an another day.