Puppet Show (Rewrite in progress, explanation posted.)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

AntonSlavik020

Re: Puppet Show [OC Story] Act 2 Update! 24/04

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

Its starting to look like it will be Chiyoko after all, which I'm OK with. She seems fun. And I'm guessing the student council pres was held back for some medical reason, kinda like Emi, otherwise there is no way she's of age. Even Emi's just 19.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

I also noticed the possible Chiyoko hookup, which I have been behind since the introduction of her. :D
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

"I think it's good that your trying."
"you're"
"That girl over there, she arrived at Yamaku this year in a wheelchair. With the help of her doctor and the track team, we got her walking and then running in just a few weeks!"
The VN stated that it took Emi about a year and even that was considered very fast...
I think we can get you walking before the event. Heck, I bet we can train you to compete in the event!"
Now this is WAY too optimistic.

Hmm... It seems there really isn't any special reason why he didn't want to use the prosthetic, considering how easily he was persuaded. Makes it seem kinda unbelievable that he was so averse to it before.
"She's of age Susumu. Sadly." Nakajima sighs as Hanamoto slings her arm around his shoulders.
She's 20? And still in High School? She must have missed two years...

Snakes and Ladders... Not really a game. You could program a RNG to "play" it for you and save you the bother.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
RidiculousLuke

Post by RidiculousLuke »

The VN stated that it took Emi about a year and even that was considered very fast...
I wouldn't use Emi as reference if I was you... And anyway, Emi started pretty soon after her accident. You can't just assume that this other girl did so as well.
Now this is WAY too optimistic.

Hmm... It seems there really isn't any special reason why he didn't want to use the prosthetic, considering how easily he was persuaded. Makes it seem kinda unbelievable that he was so averse to it before.
I would comment on this but I feel it would spoil things, I guess I should say that Kichirou was just being a bit difficult :)

Maybe it is a little bit too optimistic but hey, he hasn't even tried yet :P
You could program a RNG to "play" it for you and save you the bother.
And where is the fun in that?!
Luke of the Ridiculous variety, author of Puppet Show.

(There's also the Old Version of Puppet Show, if you really want to read it.)

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously." - Hunter S. Thompson
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

And where is the fun in that?!
Well I don't see any fun in "playing" a game where your only input is to roll a die every time it's your turn without any kind of strategic decisions at all.
You could literally have a RNG calculate the outcome of the "game" for you.

When I "played" Snakes and Ladders as a kid at some point I always wished that someone - anyone - would finally win, so we could do something fun afterwards.
That's never a good sign for a game...

Edit:
I'm not the only one who doesn't like snakes and ladders. 8)
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
RidiculousLuke

Post by RidiculousLuke »

When I "played" Snakes and Ladders as a kid at some point I always wished that someone - anyone - would finally win, so we could do something fun afterwards.
That's never a good sign for a game...
Keep in mind everyone, don't bring a game of Snakes and Ladders near Mirage unless you want to lose your teeth! :P

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously." - Hunter S. Thompson
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

How about Sorry? ;)
AntonSlavik020

Post by AntonSlavik020 »

HoneyBakedHam wrote:How about Sorry? ;)
Ooooo I loved Sorry as a kid.
Best girl
Hanako=Shizune>Misha>Lilly>Rin>Emi

Best route
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Emi>Shizune
RidiculousLuke

Post by RidiculousLuke »

Act 2 Chapter Two- Fun Delayed

=============================================================

"And this is...?"

Mr. Okada scans the classroom for anyone willing to answer, his expectations clearly won't be met as most students try to focus entirely on their textbooks.

I can already feel his temper climbing to new levels, I shrink into my chair and prepare for the worst. The crisis is soon averted however as Takashi raises his hand, stands, and answers without a hassle. I let out an audible sigh as Mr. Okada returns to the board.

"Took you long enough." I smirk.

"What? I had to be sure." Takashi mutters.

I scribble within the margins of my textbook, despite my best efforts I can't really focus this morning. Last night's little excursion took a lot out of me, I woke up feeling quite sick. Which is understandable since I don't think a sandwich and cake diet is a healthy thing to have, not that anyone was complaining. They were more focused on the actions between the two student council heads.

... I'm still a little shocked by it all, just when I think I've figured out our council president she manages to reconstruct my perception with ease. What I'm most interested in though, is the state of Nakajima...

He's always been a very stoic kinda guy, keeps to himself, never causes trouble. I wonder what was going through his head at the time. I won't blame him if it wasn't much, I would lose brain function too if I had a girl like that in my lap for most of the night fiddling with me.

Regarding my school work... I'm doing okay, I'll probably score high enough to pass. Which is good enough for me. My gaze shifts to two desks seated near the front, Fukuhara looks like she's about split her pencil in half with the amount of pressure she's putting down. I've been thinking lately that math isn't her strong point, which would explain why she could stomach being alone with Takashi yesterday since he's a whiz at this kinda thing.

Kobayashi's leaning against her desk, watching the world go by. I'm not sure how she fairs but judging by her current attitude, she's as comfortable as I am with this.

Thoughts about Nishimura float into my head while I look to the pony tailed girl. I couldn't say no to that guy for some reason. I said I was curious but I'm still a little hesitant, I'll have to wait and see though. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Mr. Okada grumbles as the lunch bell rings out, clearly he was getting into his work. Which is odd given his thuggish appearance, not that I should be judging based on something as superficial as someone's state of dress.

The guy does seem to care about his work, when he isn't shouting I'll admit that he's a good teacher.

Students begin filing out of the classroom in the hopes of getting something half decent from the cafeteria, I begin gathering my things up and hope that my friends will be able to nab something edible for us today.

My packing is interrupted by a feeling that someone might be staring at me, I look to the sliding doors and end up doing a double take.

Chiyoko stands outside timidly, this is the first time I've seen her around this classroom. She seems to take a breather before stepping inside, she makes a beeline for my desk. Well, I can't run away now.

As she places her hands on my desk and leans forward, Takashi finally notices her and blushes at the sight. Can't blame the man, she is awfully close...

"Hello!" Her voice echoes through my ears, not the most comfortable distance for such an enthusiastic greeting.

Fukuhara and Kobayashi finally notice her as well.

"Hey Chiyoko, what's the matter?" I ask. The blonde headed girl places a hand on her hip and pokes my nose playfully.

"It's lunch break Kichirou!"

"I'm aware..." I rub my head and look to the others. Fukuhara looks to Kobayashi, who just shrugs. Takashi's uh, well, I think he stopped breathing.

"So, remember what I said yesterday?" She locks me in her gaze, the bright green of her eyes scorching me.

"Um..." I think back to the party last night, "Oh yeah, you said you wanted to talk about it."

"... It?" Takashi mumbles under his breath.

"So! Let's have lunch together!" Chiyoko pokes my nose again, I place my hand over it and sigh.

"Alright, let's go." I zip up my bag and reach for my crutch.

"Sorry guys. I'm going to eat with Chiyoko today." I look to the girls and apologize, they merely shake their heads and nod understandably. I turn to Takashi, but start walking instead since he appears to be in another dimension.

Before I leave however, He shouts.

"Hey! Don't forget about the arcade today!" Oh right, that's today...

"Sure, I'll be there." I wave him off and follow Chiyoko to the cafeteria.

As we approach the lift I can't help but feel self conscious, I hope no one thinks we're a couple...

=====

The cafeteria hums with activity. People are either tackling the queues while others are happily conversing while studying. I sit at a lone table in the back, waiting for Chiyoko. I drum my finger across the cold wooden surface while occasionally looking to the counters, is she still in there? I can't see her anywhere...

I start contemplating building a makeshift flare until I see a red hair band stick out from the crowd. Chiyoko valiantly dashes towards our table, nearly tripping over in the process.

She stops right at the end of her trajectory and places two trays down with an air of grace. She sits down opposite me and runs her hands through her hair, it's a little messy from what I assume was from fighting the queue.

I look to my tray, I can't help but let out a gasp at the selection.

"Where did you get this?" I question while picking up one of the rolls.

"What?" She blushes, "Don't you eat this stuff everyday?"

"Yeah sure... But it's never this warm." I rest the roll against my face, which makes Chiyoko giggle.

"You just got to know where to look!" She smiles as she opens her carton of milk.

I almost cry at the warmth of everything on my tray, clearly Takashi's been doing a crappy job... I rip the plastic off the roll and take a bite, relishing in the somewhat decent taste.

"So..." Chiyoko begins, "About yesterday. What're your thoughts?"

Here we go, "My thoughts?" I lower my meal and lean back, "What's there to say? Hanamoto's a very... Clingy drunk?"

Chiyoko chortles, "Yeah she is, but what about the o-other thing?"

"What other thing?" I pop my straw into my juice box.

"With Fumio..." She mutters while sipping from her milk, she now has a little milk mustache.

Oh yeah, what is the vice president's place in all this? Clearly Fumio was enjoying himself... If he says otherwise, he's lying through his pants.

"One thing I did notice is that Fumio stutters around Hanamoto a lot... He also gets oddly energetic when he talks about her." Chiyoko watches me closely before nodding her head.

"He does act weird around her doesn't he?! I think Fumio's got a crush on Ayame!"

"Most likely." I finish my juice with a sigh, "The question is, does Hanamoto know?"

Chiyoko contemplates this for a while, "I... Don't think so, Ayame's not the sharpest when it comes to things like this."

"She's very work oriented."

I let out a laugh at that statement, "Work oriented? The president who has a tendency to wander? The girl who got drunk and damn near got to third base with a fairly confused blind man?"

"I know it sounds daft Kichirou but it's true!" She looks outside while running a hand through the hair on her fringe, "Ayame's incredible. She really is, she arrives out of nowhere and beats out all the other presidential candidates and just takes over..."

"Arrived outta nowhere? What do you mean?"

"Her dad's from Europe I think. She transferred here."

"Oh, so she's a foreigner?" I wouldn't've known honestly, her Japanese is pretty much flawless. Her mother must be from here then, it's funny because she doesn't really look all that foreign.

Chiyoko continues, her milk mustache going unnoticed, "She might seem a little air headed but she's a genius."

I wouldn't say air headed... I'de say she's more of a nutcase. Although I read somewhere once that people with a higher intellect tend to have their own quirks.

"Anyway! I have a plan to help those two along!" Chiyoko smiles broadly and raises her finger, "If we don't intervene then Ayame will never know, then she'll graduate and Fumio will be heartbroken!"

"Okay. What did you have in mind?"

Chiyoko smile falters, "Um... I actually haven't even started planning yet.."

I finish off the last of my lunch, "Well, let me know when you have something. I'll help out best I can."

My vision is suddenly filled with white, Chiyoko lunged over the table and wrapped my head in a hug. The smell of raspberries and the feeling of her chest pressed against me is overwhelming, I try my best not to drool.

She eventually lets go with a squeal, "Thanks Kichirou! I'll make sure this happens!"

This week's shaping up to be a roller coaster isn't it? I thought the whole holiday frenzy took place during, not before... Chiyoko finishes off her lunch with a sigh, I finally mention the dairy filled mustache on her face. She wipes at her face rapidly while blushing brightly.

The break isn't over yet so we stick around the cafeteria for a few more minutes, conversing about this and that. It's strange how easy it is to actually talk to Chiyoko, from what I've been through since I've known her I half expected to have reported her by now...

Sure, it's still a little creepy that she's clingy and maybe a bit of a stalker but I can't bring myself to hate her. In fact, I think I'm actually starting to like her company.

The bell resounds through the halls and we leave our table, cleaning our trays before leaving together for class. As we part and move to our respective classrooms, I'm surprised to find that Takashi didn't have a thousand questions lined up for me.

He actually looks busy for a change, even this guy's taking school seriously now... What happened? Did I miss something.

I should be studying as well now that I think about it... My eyes glance at the textbook in front of me, one day. I still have time besides, today's going to be a long day...

=====

I wonder how long this gate's been here for? Actually, when did this school first open anyway? I run my hand along the wrought iron slowly, despite the afternoon heat the metal of the gate remains cool to the touch.

Leaving the gate behind, I hop over to a nearby bench and take a seat. I adjust my blue hoodie while looking over my phone, This doesn't make sense. I'm on time, I think.

I think he's late... Great, I hurried back to my room and got dressed for nothing. Well, whatever. I'll give him a few more minutes...

The mountain road up to Yamaku is rather empty right now, occasionally a car or two climbs past but the sound of nature drowns out everything else. It's a nice day again, a real shame that we'll be spending it indoors... A few students pass through the gates of Yamaku, most of them are probably waiting for the bus to the city like me. Funnily enough, some of these guys even got cabs to come pick them up.

Some students are also heading down the hill to the town below, possibly to restock on supplies. Or perhaps they're trying to get away to relax before the exams, which is probably what most of the city trekkers are doing as well.

I tug at the knot in my jeans and look to the sky, where the heck is that dork? When you set a specific time for a trip, I think it's only natural that you show up...

A ringing in my pocket grabs my attention, opening up my phone I notice that the group chat between my group of friends just got updated. I move through the past posts and reach the latest message, It seems Fukuhara's heading out and Kobayashi's got track. Wait a minute! Taka's talking here as well right now. Should I message him to hurry up? Nah...

I like sitting out here anyway...

The sun beats down, I started to sweat some time ago. My body has started to stick to my hoodie, this is rather unpleasant... Just as I'm about to throw in the somewhat real 'towel', Takashi's shows up.

He stands outside the gates, dressed in something a little strange for this weather. He's wearing a thick jacket with what looks like the pants we wear with our uniform, they're slightly rolled up and I can see his black socks and red trainers quite clearly.

"Yo!" He calls out and takes a seat next to me, "We still good with the bus schedule?"

"The buses are still running for a while Taka..." I chuckle as Takashi leans back with a sigh, "Where were you anyway?" I question.

"Exam prep."

"I see..." I'm never gonna get used to the word 'prep' coming from that face...

We sit in silence for a while until our bus rolls lazily towards the school before coming to a stop. We leave the bench and enter the bus, Taka pays for our fare while I look for a seat. The task isn't easy, a few people who have probably been on this bus from the last stop and the students who were waiting with me have taken most of the seats.

I eventually slip into one facing the left window, I rest my crutch under my seat as Takashi walks over.

"Well then," He takes a seat, "You ready for this?"

"We're not even there yet." I chuckle, "But yeah. I'm ready I guess."

"Good man because you know, I'm not going to go easy on you!" Takashi flexes while I just sigh. God forbid he actually gave me a chance...

The driver announces our departure and the bus lurches to life, we make our way through the winding mountain roads at a relaxed pace. I lean my head against the window and stare at the scenery passing us by. I occasionally look over at Takashi, he's either on his phone or looking around the cabin mindlessly.

We reach the true interior of the forest, the lighting gets slightly dimmer as we pass under the canopy above. I fell my eyes rolling closed, I guess I could take a little nap.

It's still a long way away, that city.

=====

Busy.

That's the word I'm going to use to describe this district. Takashi leads the way as we wander our way towards the arcade, occasionally we stop when the items of an interesting shop catch our attention through it's windows. We eventually enter the main square, Takashi pushes his way through the crowd with me right behind him.

I should've asked if he wanted to use me as a personal escort, since I have the uncanny ability to make people diverge whenever I'm around. Luckily Takashi clearly knows where he's going, I haven't been around this city long enough to know my way around it.

Taka's pretty much a regular here, he even grew up in a big city like myself. Indeed, I definitely feel at home here. I love the area around Yamaku but there's just something about the bustling streets of a city...

As we make our way towards our destination, I can't help but notice the glances I get from others. Can't really blame them, My condition is fairly obvious, and awkward to boot. Once we turn yet another corner Takashi looks visibly relieved.

"There she is! Thought I lost her!" Huh, never knew the arcade was female...

Smack bang in the middle of a long outdoor corridor of shops is the arcade, the flashy neon makes it's presence ridiculously known. Takashi damn near starts jogging towards it, noticing this I start to hobble at a faster pace just to keep up.

We pass by the sliding doors, pictures and posters of several games and anime series litter the hallway. Huh, I've clearly been out of the loop. There's a lot of stuff I've never seen before.

... Can't really expect someone who was stuck in a hospital to reach out to the outside world when he's in a place designed solely to keep you away.

I'm knocked out of my melancholy by Takashi approaching a coin machine and inserting far more money than I thought he would use.

"Damn, you sure you're okay with using that much?" I ask as he flattens a bank note against his jacket before trying to slip it into the slot.

"Uh, yeah...? Why would I not?! It's not every day a man gets to play at the arcade."

His enthusiasm rubs off on me as I glance around, several couples and children are engaging in the various colourful attractions. I laugh internally whenever I make eye contact with the people that I assume are regulars at this kind of place.

Takashi carries his budget for today in a small plastic tray, a loud rattling resounding from it whenever he walks.

"Well then, what first bro?"

"I dunno, lead the way?" Takashi nods to himself and starts surveying the area, he pays close attention to every machine and game cabinet we pass. If we were in a casino right now it would be no different from here, Takashi's basically checking the value of the 'tables'...

Takashi spots a cabinet in the back that he seems to like, as we approach it however he hesitant's at the sign.

"It's one player only..." He sputters.

"It's alright man... I'll watch for a bit." I scratch my head, "Despite what I said, I really don't mind watching."

Takashi lets out a simple 'alright' before taking a seat and loading a few coins into the cabinet. The game's a simple 2-D shooter where you play as some kind of helicopter in a post apocalyptic world. It takes no time at all for Takashi to get into the game, he grips the controls tightly while I comment on what's happening now and again.

Several tries later, Takashi eventually gets fed up with a certain level and decides to ditch the cabinet. I agree with him though, how the heck do the guys who made expect someone to do that?

We wander the arcade floor, Takashi looks for the next game while I glance around. Almost everyone in here has had a good stare at me, I'm starting to feel like a rare commodity of sorts.

Wha- where?

At some point I lost him. Where did Taka go? We must've split up I guess.

... Well it's alright, I'll find him at some point and anyway, I managed to grab some coins before we got separated. At least I can have fun while I'm lost.

I hobble around in search of something that doesn't require two hands, the task is rather difficult but I eventually come across something that meets my downsides.

The machine is simple, it's one of those games where you use a mounted gun to knock the teeth out of a giant clown face. If you manage to get them all, you get some tickets.

Well, lets try. I wonder how much I can get... I take my place at one of the machines and insert a few coins. The game creeps to life as I grab a hold of my weapon, a small carnival jingle plays as the lights of the attraction flicker at random intervals. I look the clown dead in the face and get ready.

Got it, my first shot is a success. I tilt my aim slightly and go for another tooth, the cannon fires a smallish pellet at the clown, dislodging another tooth. I'm clearly on a roll, I'm about to shoot the last molar out of this things mouth when I notice a young boy sit beside me.

His hair is short and scruffy, it's a slight shade of red similar to my own. What's the most strange about him is that he reminds me of someone I knew.

The boy rummages in his pockets while watching me and inserts a couple coins into one of the machines. I'm too busy watching him as I nearly miss the last shot, I return my attention to the game and quickly align my aim. Despite the distraction, I walk away the victor.

One less clown with teeth in the world. Although I wonder if that's just as scary... The machine plays a victory tune and dispenses a roll of tickets onto my lap. I feel a wave of mild accomplishment wash over me as I turn my gaze to the boy beside me.

Unlike me however, his expression is one of depression. Even after inserting the required amount, his machine hasn't lit up. The clown face stares back at him with lifelessly. I watch him get angry and kick the machine, I look to my lap with a sigh.

I hold out the tickets, "Here, take 'em. This way you didn't pay for nothing." The boy looks at me cautiously before taking the tickets.

"Your sure mister?" He asks.

"Sure, I don't mind."

The boy grins widely as he counts out my donation, "Whoa, thanks!"

"No problem." I chuckle as I reach for my crutch. When I get off my seat and turn, I feel my body freeze.

The blood in my veins seems to stop as I stare at the girl approaching me...

Her hair is auburn, long and wispy with a small bow tied to one of strands cascading down her figure. Her blue eyes seem to light up the room, they're like an ocean of the clearest blue.

The girl notices me with a gasp and calls out to me. As she stands before me I feel the world around me crumble away...

R-Ren.

"... And so that's why I think she should really consider it. I mean, she totally has the figure for it you know?"

"..."

"If she just tried I'm sure she would find a guy..."

"..."

"Kichirou? You haven't even touched your lunch."

"Huh?"

"Oh... Y-Yeah, guess I'm not that hungry."

"..."

"Is everything alright?"

"Yeah Ren, I'm good."

"Really...?"

"Ow! S-Stop that! I told you I'm fine!"

"Hahaha! You're so cute when you get poked."

"..."

"Ren! Stop!"

"Haha... Okay okay! I'll stop!"

"Jeez, don't look at me like that."

"..."

"Huh, the school year really flies by huh?"

"..."

"Do you know what high school you're going to yet?"

"... I-I dunno."

"It would be cool if we got into the same one together huh?"

"..."

"Time flies..."

"...

"Hey R-Ren."

"Yeah?"

"W-wou-"

"Would y-yo-"

"Would you l-like to- Um..."

"What's up Kichirou?"

"..."

"Would you like to a-"

"OI! Guys!"

"..."

"Oh Aki! Over here!"

"Take a seat already! So Kichirou? What is it?"

"..."

"... N-Nothing."

"Kichirou...?"

Jesus, she hasn't changed a bit... Well, she's maybe a bit taller than before. Ah, I can't feel my legs. Even after all this time, she still makes me like this....

She's still as beautiful as I remember... Yeah, she's definitely thinner than before. She's really 'rounded' out now. My lips feel dry as I struggle to pry them apart to speak, at some point I even started sweating. I must look a mess right now...

"H-Hey... R-Ren, long time no see." I mumble while pulling on the fabric of my hoodie nervously.

Ren looks me over before smiling, "Kichirou! You haven't changed a bit! Well, okay apart from the uh..."

"No leg?"

"Y-Yeah. That. How are you anyway!?" She questions while holding the strand of hair with the bow on it, it's a little quirk she has.

"I'm good I guess. What are you even doing here? Don't you live on the other side of the country?"

Ren smirks and looks to the boy behind me, "I'm on break right now so I decided to come and visit my family. They live around this area."

The boy runs up to Ren and shows her the tickets with a smile, "Sis! Look! I got some!"

Ren bends down to his level, "Good job Jun! A few more and we can get that prize for you."

Jun smiles at his sister before running off in search of another game that dispenses tickets.

"Huh, never knew you had a brother..." I comment as I watch the boy disappears behind one of the game cabinets.

"Hah, yeah I do. Love the little guy you know? Probably the main reason I came down."

Silence steps into the scene as we stand together in the fairly empty part of the arcade. Ren runs a hand over her bow, occasionally making eye contact with me.

"... Wanna get something to drink?"

"S-Sure, good idea." Ren giggles as we make our way towards the small food kiosk in the arcade, I prop myself up on a stool as she orders the drinks. I watch her as she pays, she really hasn't changed... She still does that little head twitch thing whenever she's paying attention to someone...

I feel a painful tug on my heart strings as Ren approaches the table with two soda cans. She wastes no time popping it open and taking a long chug from it, eventually she settles the can down and looks at me expectantly.

"So Kichirou? How's things? Are you still at that place? What was it called...?"

"Yamaku?"

"Yeah, that place."

"Yes, I'm still at Yamaku. I'm a second year now."

"That's awesome! That reminds me! I'm graduating this year huh?"

I look at the contents of my can, "Yeah... You are."

Ren rests her head in her hand and sighs, "Time flies huh?"

My smile disappears as the events of middle school flash through my head again. I don't really want to know but I can't stop myself from asking, "So, you still with Akihiro?"

Ren blushes and puckers her lips, "I am. He's a great guy..."

"..."

"What?! No way!"

"..."

"It's true! Didn't you hear?!"

"..."

"I can't believe it, it actually makes sense."

"..."

"... Hey?"

"Oh Kichirou, what is it?"

"W-What's going on?"

"..."

"Something about Akihiro and Ren I think?"

"... Those two?"

"Guys look!"

"..."

"Wha-"

"They're even holding hands! That's so adorable!"

"You guys are like the perfect couple! Oh my god!"

"..."

=====

"..."

"Hey Kichirou! Where you going? You wanna come to the park with us?"

"Yeah man! Let's go!"

"..."

"N-No, that's okay... I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"Kichirou! Why not?"

"M-My parents will worry if I'm not home soon. Bye."

"..."

=====

"Kisu! Time for dinner!"

"..."

"Kichirou? Honey?"

"Baby, where ar-"

"Kichirou? What's wrong?"

"..."

"Are you crying? Honey?"

The coldness of the soda can seems to numb the feeling in my fingers as I stare at the floor, I try to look her in the face but I can't.

"You should hear what he's been saying Kichirou... He wants to travel once we graduate? Can you believe that? I mean, we're still kids..."

"Hah, yeah..."

"So what about you? Made any new friends?" She looks generally interested, guess that's a plus...

"Y-Yeah, I have."

"That's nice, any girls?" She looks at me cheekily.

"Yes."

"Oooh, Kichirou Susumu! Lady killer!"

"I-It's not like that!" I snap, Ren reels back a bit and looks to the floor.

"T-That's good to hear though." She speaks up again, "After what happened, I thought you wouldn't... You know?"

What? Reintegrate back into society? Be a normal person again? God this woman is bringing things up from the past, she's practically dragging them out...

"Look Kichirou," She reaches over the table and grabs my hand, her touch doesn't fill me with warmth but with dread, "Back then, when we all came to see you at the hospital w-we were..."

"..." Ren pauses and inhales slowly.

"S-Scared you know? You were so different after that... We didn't know what to do. We tried to cheer you up but it didn't help, we thought you were gone."

I don't want to hear this. I don't want to hear these excuses...

'Tried'? Yeah fucking right, you people merely came over to that hellhole every day, punching in your ticket like it's just another day at the office... No emotion at all, there was nothing in your hearts for me.

I was gone, you didn't care. None of you stuck around, you just fucking left... You did all you could right?

I pull my hand out of her grip and finish off my drink. Ren looks rather taken aback as she sips from her can slowly.

"Kichirou." Ren calls out to me after finishing off her drink, "Kichirou, can we start again? You look like you're way better now! How about it?" She looks at me with hopeful eyes.

"Aki misses you, we all do."

Miss me?

"This way please."

"..."

"In here."

"Kichirou!"

"Hey man, you al-"

"Kichirou..."

"..."

"He's still in a bit of shock dears, be gentle with him okay?"

"Yes ma'am."

"..."

"How are you feeling?"

"..."

"We brought you some snacks, hospital foods yucky right?"

"..."

=====

"Aki..."

"What can I do? H-He's so..."

"Ren... Don't worry."

"..."

"Is it okay if I don't c-come? I can't ta-"

"..."

"Sure babe. I'll keep checking up on him okay?"

"..."

"Thanks Aki... I love you."

"Heh, I love you too."

=====

"..."

"Guys. c'mon."

"Eh?"

"Let's leave this cripple."

"Aki? Where are yo-"

"..."

"Um... Well! I g-guess we'll see you later man."

"H-hang in there ok?"

"..."

"..."

"Isn't that nice? You have so many friends huh?"

"..."

=====

"NURSE! NURSE! HE'S GONE!"

"WHA- AGAIN?!"

"Where is he?! Check down there now!"

"Yes sir!"

"..."

"SIR! HE'S HERE!"

"..."

"Dammit, he's got cuts this time..."

"Nurse, get me some supplies! Make sure they're steralised!"

"Yes sir!"

"..."

"Why... Why do you do this boy."

"What do you say huh? Want to meet up tomorrow maybe? I could use some company you know. Jun can be a real handful..."

Her smile is hopeful, full of clean thoughts. Not a single dark one amongst them huh? I take one last look at her face, the sight of her blue eyes make me uncomfortable.

"Fuck you." I mutter angrily and reach for my crutch. I stand and dig through my pockets for my wallet and toss a few bank notes onto the table.

"There. Thanks for the drink." I say coldly before putting my wallet away. I start hopping away before she can even say anything, I leave Ren alone at the kiosk as I look around the arcade for Takashi, during the search I find Jun playing around with a few other boys. He smiles to me when I pass, I merely look away and continue my search.

I eventually find Takashi sitting amongst a few of the rather 'unique' patrons that this place has, I limp up to him and speak.

"Hey dude, I'm gonna go."

"Wha- Why?" Takashi barely looks at me as he is too focused on winning against his opponent.

"I'll catch the bus, don't worry about it. I'll see you at school."

Takashi frowns slightly but eventually smiles again, "Alright man, if that's what you want."

Before I can walk away he calls out to me again, "Sorry we couldn't play anything together!"

I turn to him and smile, "There's always next time."

=====

The sound of cars cruising by and people wandering the streets fills the air like a swarm of wasps. I sit on a bench with my head in my arms, after leaving the arcade I feel like I dropped a large part of my soul and now I have to regenerate.

... Jesus, Ren. I see her for the first time in years and I had to go and say that. Not that she didn't deserve it...

Did she though? I don't know anymore...

I pull at my hair and let out a groan. What the hell am I doing...

My hand grips my leg stump tightly, as if the pressure from it could rip it off. What am I doing...

I watch the people walk by, some families, some school children, and few odd ones here and there. I feel like I'm part of the background while I'm sitting here, I don't even fit this scene...

My crutch sits beside me, I glance over at it and sigh. What am I doing...

My muddled thoughts are disrupted by a finger poking at my shoulder, I flick my head up immediatly and look behind me.

"Fukuhara? What are you doing here?"

The bowl haired girl smiles and takes a seat next to me, she drops a few bags on the floor in front of her before pulling out her notepad.

[Shopping trip. Well, it's more of a gift shopping trip.]

[What are you doing here?]

"Me? Oh, I was uh, with Takashi earlier at the arcade but I decided to leave early."

[It doesn't look like you've left yet.]

I let out a dry laugh, "I guess you're right." I look to the parcels at Fukuhara's feet, "So who are the gifts for?"

Fukuhara smiles awkwardly and writes out a response, [They're presents for my sister. Her birthday's coming up so I decided to take a trip today.] She grins and turns her gaze to the road.

"Kid sure is spoiled."

Fukuhara giggles silently, [Maybe a little bit.]

We sit in silence for a while, just watching the world go by. Soon Fukuhara starts writing again, [Hey, are you busy?]

I look myself over, "Not at the moment, why?"

[I still have a few things to get but I'm running out of hands.]

"Wait a minute," I raise my arms in defense, "I can hardly carry myself, how do expect me to carry a couple bags without dropping them in the street?"

Fukuhara giggles again and writes, [We can figure something out.]

Girl drives a hard bargain, and anyway It's not like sitting around like this is helping me... I need to get my mind off this stuff.

"Okay, I'll help you out the best I can."

Fukuhara claps her hands and writes, [Great, thanks Susumu. Sorry in advance for this...]

"Hey, it's alright. I wasn't doing anything productive anyway, might as well try and act like a disabled baggage boy."

Fukuhara seems to laugh more than giggle silently at that comment as she stands. She grabs the parcels and motions down the road, I stand up with crutch in hand and follow after her.

In the end, the day went by rather fast, I followed Fukuhara up and down the city. We entered several shops in search of the so called 'elusive' toy for Fukuhara's sister Haruki. I just barely managed to cope with all the unnecessary exercise and awkward questions the ladies in the shops would ask about the two of us...

But luckily we came right sooner or later. The best part of this story though, I didn't have to carry anything.

The sun hangs low on the horizon as we reach the bus platform, after such a long day it's only natural we seek out this place. Fukuhara looks over the schedule as I stand around, watching the road and waiting. A violent tug on my shoulder heightens my senses, I turn to Fukuhara and panic.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

She hesitates before writing, [We missed it. The last bus...]

What.

[Now what Susumu?! How are we gonna get back?!]

"Calm down, we could call a cab." Fukuhara looks at me hopelessly.

[Do you know the number for it?]

"Uh... No, I uh, don't..."

Fukuhara deflates and crouches down, I bow my head and look to the floor. She's right to be so worried though, how are we gonna get back now... Dammit, we should've joined up with Taka before he left.

Are we gonna have to stay in the city tonight? But what can a girl who went gift shopping and a boy who delayed his off day by having a blast from the past do...?

The stars in the sky start shining through as Fukuhara and I stand by the bus platform aimlessly.

I... I have an idea, but I doubt she's gonna like it. But it may be our only option.

I think I s-should at least mention it right? I mean right now, we need options...

Right? Yeah! I'm gonna ask...

This is not going to work.
Last edited by RidiculousLuke on Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

RidiculousLuke

Re: Puppet Show [OC Story] Act 2 Update! 1/05

Post by RidiculousLuke »

Just a little update for you guys. I'm off on holiday this coming week, now I'll probably spend my downtime writing. I might even finish the next chapter but I won't be near a computer in time for Friday... So I'll post it when I get back :)

Thank you for reading this story everyone, I'll be sure to post again as soon as I can. Later on :D

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm not sure how she fairs but
"fares"
I wonder how long this gates been here for?
"gate's"

Just a little update, is it? :lol:

Sore wa himitsu desu.
RidiculousLuke

Post by RidiculousLuke »

Act 2 Chapter Three- Night amongst Neon

Has that car passed us by before? Now that I think about it, I think I've lost my ability to tell the difference. And what about those lights over there... Have they always loo-

No, alright, I'm gonna speak up. Besides, I think it's a great plan. I crane my neck over to my befuddled classmate. Fukuhara sits on the side walk with me, gazing into the distance with a pout. I take one last quick peek at my surroundings before I croak,

"H-Hey, so..." Jeez, not the best start. "S-Should we see if we can find a hotel or something?"

Fukuhara perks up, she looks around for her notepad and before long, she's writing down a response.

My eyes wander to the shopping bags resting at her side while she works her pen, Fukuhara was slightly flustered during her shopping trip. Not that I blame her, if I had a little sister like hers, I'd probably catch a bus.

Heh, funny, the exact thing we were waiting for...

She was an odd one, that Haruki Fukuhara. When I met that little one back at the festival, I thought she was going to swindle me out of my money...

She actually did in the end...

The bright emblem stuck to one of the shopping bags catches my attention. Those were some fancy shops we went to. Not the kind of place I would frequent, even with the money I was given... It was nice enough though, the people who worked there were friendly, even when they were faced with a mute high school student and what probably looks like a circus act gone wrong.

Thinking back, I'm glad she was able to do the 'talking'. I was still a little shell shocked from what happened in the arcade. Sitting here hasn't helped since my mind keeps replaying the scene of me leaving Ren after she tried to reach out.

I let out a sigh and look to the sky, taking some time to count out the stars. She deserved it...

N-No, she didn't Kichirou...

Just in time to break my out of my thoughts, a familiar notepad is thrust in my direction with a phone being held underneath it for light, it is pretty dark after all.

[Good plan, it's a little boring sitting here isn't it? I want to ask but...] The message ends abruptly.

"What's up?" I ask.

Fukuhara looks down a little before writing again, [How much money do you have on you at the moment?] She 'says' with an awkward expression.

I pull my wallet out and inspect it's interior, "It's uh, enough for maybe a late night snack... For one." I knew I should've taken more with me...

The bowl haired girl at my side puts her note pad down and digs around in her satchel. I first noticed that bag earlier today, it's kind've nice to see something like that, not just the bag but a fellow student out of uniform.

Fukuhara's taste in clothing is very... what's the word? 'Formal but casual' maybe? Doesn't surprise me actually, given the family she comes from.

A small barely audible sigh escapes Fukuhara's lips, she looks down in disappointment before writing on her notepad again, [I used most of my budget on shopping today... What are we gonna do Susumu?]

N-Now I thought about this earlier, When the street lamps came on I decided to keep quiet but a while later, I couldn't help but think about it... I think I should at least mention it.

Probably beats sleeping here at the bus stop,

"Well we could go find a-" My throat goes dry as I try to force it out, "F-Find one of t-those..."

This is harder than I thought... "T-those cheaper hotels..."

There's a long silence between us now. I feel like my head's gonna pop. My eyes start looking elsewhere. I wonder, if I roll out onto that street... Will I get run over?

Despite my embarrassment, Fukuhara looks to be considering this. She takes a new interest in our surroundings while writing, [That's doesn't sound like such a bad idea Susumu, do you know of any good ones?]

I manage to look back at Fukuhara, "I don't sadly. I'm not too familiar with this city actually, Taka knows this place well though..." I trail off and instantly regret what I said.

[If that's the case, why don't we text him.] Fukuhara places her notepad down and starts going through her phone.

I reach out to stop her, in the moment forgetting that my left lacks a hand, my stub rests on her wrists oddly. Fukuhara raises an eyebrow at me, her fingers very close to sending out a message.

"I w-wouldn't if I was you..." Fukuhara looks to the phone and then me several times before shrugging.

In some ways, we avoided a crisis... I don't want to hear about the places that guy knows about, even if he probably has an extensive knowledge on the best alternative lodgings, which he probably found out about in those mags of his... I don't want to know.

Fukuhara blushes randomly and shakes her head. She picks up her notepad again, [I think we should start looking.]

I nod and reach for my crutch, she's right. Sitting here won't help us in the least, it's not like a special night bus rolls around these parts. I tuck my support under my right and begin hoisting myself up, the process is slightly harder given the time I spent sitting on the concrete side walk.

Fukuhara looks at me with concern but doesn't make a move, she instead stands up and begins picking up her shopping bags.

... Oh yeah, I said that thing back before the festival. Ugh, I feel like an idiot...

"You sure you don't need help with those?"

A polite shake of the head is all I get as Fukuhara holds her sister's presents in each hand, she makes sure her strap of her satchel is comfortable before motioning with her neck to the road ahead.

I nod and begin hopping after her as we walk together down the somewhat quiet city streets. The search for overnight accommodation is on.

Here's hoping we find some place nice...

"Come on in man!"

"..."

"Takashi."

"W-What? Don't like my palace of solitude?"

"The school dorm rooms are all the same but... Your one is... Uh, unique..."

"Haha yeah, very funny... I'll have you know tha- crap. Where did that come from?!"

"..."

"You can take a seat on my bed if you want. It's not infected, just a little messy."

"... That's what worries me. Unreported hazards to the school..."

"Jeez man, gimme a break! I got a lot on my pl-"

"... You good Taka?"

"Y-Yeah. Fine, gotta give it a sec..."

"..."

"Hey, what something to drink? I got ah... Juice I think."

"I'm good man, let's get to work shall we?"

"..."

"Kichirou Susumu! Now taking grades seriously!"

"Yeah Yeah. I need some help alright? I'm gonna fail at this rate...

"You'll be fine bro besides, you got me!"

"..."

"So, where were we in class to-"

"Takashi, what are these?"

"What's wha- GAH!"

"Is this what I thi- Oh m-man, that's a pose."

"H-Hey, put that thing back will you!?"

"You've sure got a lot of these. How do you get them? Are they even allowed to give this stuff to minors?"

"Would you ju- C'mon man! You're a minor too!"

"N-Not anymore."

"Can't we just study bro?! A-Alright alright! That's enough! Don't mix them up!"

"..."

"Funny how this is the only thing that's well kept in your room..."

"KICHIROU!"

Now this could just be me, but are the names "Dungeon of Desire" and "Train Fantasy" really that good for business?

In a strange way I guess they are but then again, I'm not part of their target demographic. Looking to Fukuhara though, perhaps we are... Two high school students, who missed the last bus back, wandering around the wrong part of town, just looking for trouble!

Our eyes can't seem to leave the ad board, it must be the light here. We're drawn to it like a bug. Fukuhara's face is plastered in a rather strong blush, it's pretty funny although I doubt I'm faring much better...

Thinking back now, that side walk might've actually worked out for us.

With the silence around us becoming increasingly unbearable, I decide to be the one to break it, "Well, this is... N-Not so bad honestly. It's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be."

... Why do I get the feeling that I've just dug an even bigger hole for myself.

Fukuhara flicks her eyes away from the adverts and nods slightly, she puts down some of her shopping bags and reaches for her notepad. I can tell she wants to write out a response but she's taking quite a while to do it, her flustered expression seems to leak into the paper she writes upon.

[It's not so bad right? We just have to find one that's more...] Her message is cut off as she quickly gives the wall another look, [Accessible, more open to a larger demographic.]

She looks to me for reassurance, I scratch my head and nod dumbly.

More silence... I better say something, "Okay, how about... This one?" I point to the ad at the top left, "It's got two beds and- Oh, it's also got c-chains."

I cough out with a blush, giggling to myself nervously I move my hand to another ad, "L-Look at this one. It's a decent price and it's..."

It's a room covered in pink, but not a child friendly pink... Wait, w-what's wrong with those stuffed dogs...?

"Okay!" I cough again, "What do you think looks good?"

I look to my companion in the hopes that she can salvage this operation, Fukuhara looks up from the floor with a start and grasps her pen tightly.

She's... She's not gonna 'say' anything, is she? Fukuhara looks to me briefly, blushes and turns back to the wall. She presses her index finger firmly against one of the ads listed, I have to stand a little higher just to see it.

"T-That looks good... Shall we go? Got the address?"

All I get is a nod as she picks up her bags again and starts walking off. I hop after her, Making sure not to get left behind in the dark, Fukuhara will you slow down?! Jeez, she's like a ghost...

The further we wander, the thicker the concrete jungle gets. We pass several lively buildings, these are definitely places that are likely closed during the day, but spring to life under the coat of night.

The people have also changed the further we've gone. What was once business men or a few late night shoppers, has been replaced by quite a few shady looking individuals. This side of town is run by rough suited men and the women of the night.

... I'm not gonna lie, this is pretty terrifying. The stares we're getting right now, I just hope no one surrounds us. Fukuhara suddenly turns a corner, I nearly fall into a group of hooligans at the action.

I struggle to keep up with the girl as she starts weaving through alleys, her head held upwards. I'm about to ask her what's wrong but she soon stops in front of a rather odd looking building.

To say this thing is lighting up the alley is an understatement. This building has pretty much vanquished the night, bright neon signs scorch the area. The messages written upon them just barely readable amongst the light. Fukuhara turns to me and nods.

"Wait, is this the place? Really?" This place looks nothing like the ad...

It didn't look like this I tell you... Oh, wait I think the picture was taken during the day.

Fukuhara nods and wastes no time entering the establishment, I try to look at the lights again but I'm forced by the intensity to walk inside.

The interior is even stranger, there's still plenty of neon but what's more overwhelming is the amount of purple carpet... It's everywhere, it's even on the walls...

Fukuhara walks towards what looks like a counter and motions me over, I hobble up to her and glance downwards, A rather bored looking women is straining her eyes trying to read a magazine, a task that must be hard given the building's only light source.

The lady groans and rubs her temples, her eyes bulging open as she spots the two of us. She quickly tosses the magazine aside and tries her best to look like a professional.

"W-Welcome to Neon Nights... A passionate light amongst a city of darkness..."

Wow, she sounds like she's reading off a script somewhere. Fukuhara nudges my arm, oh right I have to talk.

"H-Hello, We would like to stay for the night."

... That'll work right? The lady eyeballs us and smirks to herself while digging around in her desk, she pulls out a set of purple tagged keys and places them in front of us.

Fukuhara pulls out her purse while I reach for my wallet, we split the fee and hand it to the women. The keys are given to Fukuhara, who bows and starts walking off.

"Your room is upstairs on the right, have a good time you two..." The women trails off with a giggle as I limp towards the stairs.

Fukuhara waits for me as I struggle my way up, this time though I decide it would be best if she did actually help me. She grips my arm firmly as I traverse this obstacle, amidst this ordeal I realise something...

Wait...

'Our' room?!

=====

... This is actually quite nice, good thing that purple carpet is g- Wait, no there it is. The room also has neon in it but not nearly as much as the front desk or even the building itself. I limp around the space, what I find is rather unsettling.

There's only... One bed. Shit, now what?

Fukuhara seems to realise this as well, she blushes and diverts her attention to the walls around us. I scratch my head and look around, better find something to steer our focus away from this.

"Hey, the bathroom looks nice..." I hop past the open door and stare, How would one describe this wash room? Futuristic? Space Toilet? Neon Space Toilet?

... Whatever it is, it's right on the border between modern and something you had to outsource to the space program.

Fukuhara appears and bumps into me, I grip my crutch tightly and lean against the wall. Almost fell there...

I look back to see Fukuhara looking at the shower longingly, I give it a quick glance before speaking.

"You wanna have a shower? Go for it. I'll just uh... Be out here." I limp out of the wash room, Fukuhara looks to me with a thankful smile and shuts the door.

Can't blame her, we're probably quite filthy after sitting on that sidewalk for so long. I place my crutch down and take a seat at the foot of the bed.

I nearly sink into the mattress. Dammit, why do people love shit like this? It's way too soft. I regain my balance and sigh, I remove my hoodie and toss it on a chair nearby. The window at the end of the room catches my attention, the skyline can be seen from here. That's rather impressive for a love hotel.

L-Love hotel. Right...

I snap to attention as I hear the sound of water running, I blush and look to the floor. This is really awkward...

Should I just sleep on the stairs outside? It'll be uncomfortable and I'll probably get stepped on, but I think it beats having to explain all this...

Although we don't have to mention this to the others... I don't lie very often but this might be the very thing that breaks me. The sounds of water being splashed around makes my mind reel back, images of a naked Fukuhara standing within a warm mist, softly washing her body fill my head.

I shake my head furiously and hold my face in my hand, no no no no! She's a f-friend Kichirou!

Almost as if my mind was listening to me for once, the image of Fukuhara is replaced by Ren.

Even though I'm sure the sight of her long auburn hair wet from a shower is something else, the image makes me feel something else.

My arms fall to my lap, my only hand gripping the duvet tightly. I scowl and try to shake the thoughts from earlier today out. I clench my teeth as events from middle school and the arcade flash back and forth through my head, without a single break.

I eventually slam my fist into the bed, an audible creak sounds out as I run my stub through my hair. I run it along my locks roughly, trying to remember what it was like to have a hand on this arm.

The thoughts don't stop, my breathing becomes heavy. My vision blurs, the sound of something being dragged and the smell of oil linger inside my mind, I clutch my stomach in fear of throwing up. I try to take deeper breathes but I can't grab any oxygen from the air. I lift myself up while shaking and lunge at the window of the room.

The neon makes it slightly harder to see outside. I lean my head against the cold glass regardless, the feeling bringing relief and further pain to me.

I'm able to make out my reflection in the window, my eyes are puffy and my hair is sticky with sweat. I laugh dryly as I feel another wave of thoughts wash over me.

... It's okay Kichirou, just close your eyes. Let it pass, it always does.

I flinch and groan as my leg begins spasming, oh, what a time to have some phantom pain... I let out a grunt and clutch my leg tightly, my head slams against the window. a small speck of blood stains the glass.

Ah god, I'm a mess. I bite into my forearm in an attempt not to scream, the pain becomes unbearable so I slowly sink to the floor. My crutch crashes to the ground as I clutch my leg desperately, just stop already...

Wait. The shower... She must be done, shit! I crawl over to the bed, my leg groaning as I drag it. I keep biting on my left forearm as I hoist myself up, don't scream, don't scream...

I sit perched on the bed now, the pain hasn't stopped and I think I'm starting to draw blood... The door of the wash room opens, I quickly fish out my phone from my pocket and try to look normal while slowly massaging my leg stump.

Fukuhara steps out cautiously, she's now dressed in a violet sleeping gown. It's probably the hotels...

"H-Hey, how was the water?" I ask casually while composing myself, my eyes flicking towards Fukuhara and the floor.

The bowl haired girl tilts her head to the side and looks around, I follow her gaze to the far side of the room. My crutch lies on the floor haphazardly, Her eyes look to the bright red bite mark on my arm. Oh great, that's gonna bruise.

She takes a step towards me, I try to cower away but she carefully grabs a hold of my forehead. Blood from where I knocked my head has started to run, Fukuhara gasps.

All I can do is look down as she wanders off in search of something. She eventually reappears in front of me with a box of tissues, she crouches down and dabs at my forehead lightly.

She looks at me with confusion, I try but I can't bring myself to look at her... It was just a scratch so the bleeding stops pretty soon, Fukuhara disposes of the tissues and pulls out her notepad from her bag.

[Hey. Are you okay? What happened?] She runs a hand over the bite marks.

"I..." I rub my throat, "P-Phantom pain. It happens sometimes and uh, I didn't want to scream so..."

Fukuhara frowns, I think she can tell that's not the entire reason but she doesn't question me further. Instead she takes a seat on the other side of the bed, she keeps her eyes on me the whole time.

"..." I can't bring myself to speak about it after all. Fukuhara doesn't need to know what happened today, It's better this way...

I rub the bite marks and chuckle dryly, "... I uh, didn't handle that too well huh?"

Fukuhara looks at me with worry while writing, [No you didn't, but are you sure you're okay?]

"Yeah... I'm good, don't worry okay?" I pull myself up and hop awkwardly over to the window, I reach down and grab my crutch.

I run my hand over the small red speck on the glass before glancing around the room, eventually my gaze settles on Fukuhara again. I give her the best smile I can muster.

She returns it, but not with as much certainty. I look to the ground and dig through my thoughts for something to talk about, "So... When's the birthday party?" I point to the bags resting in the corner of the room.

Fukuhara grabs her notepad while looking to her purchases, [I'm not entirely sure. I think I'm going to have to stash them...]

[But probably sometime during the summer vacation.]

"Makes sense..."

She hesitates but starts writing again, [Did something happen today? You seemed a little down when I found you.]

[Did you and Takashi get into a fight or something?]

"What? No! Uh... It w-" I rub my head and look outside, the city streets are just barely visble from where we stand. Neon really isn't a good lightsource...

I-I can't tell her... No one needs to know Kichirou.

"Anyway," I speak up, "About the uh... S-Situation." I point to the bed.

Fukuhara blushes and tucks some hair behind her ear, revealing her one diamond earring. I still can't get over how bright it is...

Before she can write out a response I make a decision, "How about this... You take the bed and I'll take the floor alright?"

Or perhaps I should take the broom closet...

Fukuhara moves to protest but I stop her with a wave, "Seriously, I'll take the floor. I'm not gonna let a girl sleep on the floor when there's a perfectly good bed right there..."

A snort comes from Fukuhara as she writes with a cheeky smile, [You're quite the gentleman Susumu.]

"I try..." Fukuhara giggles silently and stands, she walks up to me and stares into my eyes.

[If you're sure but... Are you really okay? Because we can talk about it. We're friends right?]

I suddenly recall that day in the snow. The smell of incense and greys of the tombstones come to mind, but what's more interesting is what is said.

"Things... Things will be different from now on."

A faint smile crosses my lips as I look to the girl in front of me, "Thanks Fukuhara."

She smiles sheepishly and writes out a quick response, [I think it's time we stop with the surnames... Everyone uses a nickname except us.]

"Okay, but Kisu is out of the question." I chuckle.

Fukuhara mock pouts before writing again, [Fine. Now I know this is awkward on paper... But what about something like... Kiro?]

For the first time in a while I don't feel too weirded out by a nickname, "I like it. But what do I call you...?" I rest my stub against my chin and ponder.

"Oh! How about Hiro?" Fukuhara looks to the floor with a blush, I begin thinking of something else but she stops me with another message.

[Hiromi, just... call me Hiromi.]

This time it's me who blushes, "O-Okay then, uh... Hiromi it is."

It could just be the neon outside but Fukuh- I mean Hiromi, seems to be shining right now. She grins while brushing her hair behind her ear again.

She's... She's re- I shake my head side to side and cough, "Alright! W-Well! I think we should get some sleep huh?"

Hiromi nods and looks to the bed briefly before writing, [Are you sure I can take the bed?]

"For the last time yes! Just go, I'll sort something out here." Before she lifts the covers I notice her eyes linger on the marks on my arms, I feel a little self concious but she doesn't stare at them forever.

... Guess it's weird, this isn't they first time I've bitten myself.

Hiromi curls into the bed and waves to me, guess that's a good night then. I give her a nod as she settles in, I hop over to the entrance and switch the lights off.

What I don't realise is that even if you turn the lights off, the small gemstones encrusted in the ceiling manage to brighten up the room.

... Weird feature honestly, people are strange. Or I guess the management is just strange...

My gaze lingers on the bed, Hiromi's already fast asleep. The gem stones make interesting patterns on her face, I chuckle slightly and look to the nearby cabinet.

Well, better get ready for bed...

=====

I'm now standing in a neon clad hallway, despite my best efforts I couldn't sleep that well on the floor. I tried but honestly the thought of Hiromi stepping out of bed and in a sleep ridden state, stepping right on my face...

I think it's understandable that I'm a little on edge. But really I can't sleep... The marks on my arms are itching, thoughts about today are still milling about and the way Hiromi looked when I called her by her name...

I'm wide awake right now... Even though I resist the call to rest, a yawn escapes me. I shrug it off and look down the hall, it's really quiet here... I really thought there would be more... A-Activity...

I blush and dig out my phone, the light that comes forth blinds me temporarily but I manage to adjust. As a spur of the moment thing, I decide to give someone a call.

Scrolling through my limited contact list, an all too familiar name shines at me. I hit the call button and put the phone to my ear.

The ringing tone carries on. I'm about to give up but suddenly the tone is replaced by a scruffy voice,

"Hello?"

I let out a quiet laugh, "You're up late geezer..."

A chuckle rings into my ear, "I should say the same for you buddy! What're you doing up this late?"

I take a breath, "It's a long story."

"I've got time... Well, some time, I've gotta make some rounds soon but I can chat a little bit"

I sigh, "I should just hang up, I don't want to bother you with this Uncle."

A scoff rings out, "Nonsense, you're not a bother Kichi. Now tell me, what's going on?"

I grip the phone slightly and sigh, "I uh, I ran into someone that I knew from middle school, Ren's her name." I picture my Uncle nodding.

"Alright, and how was she?"

"She was... S-She was pretty much the same." I laugh dryly.

There's a long silence as I hear something pop over the phone, I think he's pouring himself a drink. After a satisfied sigh, Uncle speaks, "Where are you right now? Yamaku?"

I lean against the wall and look to the ceiling, here we go... "I'm at a L-Love hotel..."

The dead quiet on the other end of the line worries me but soon the odd giggles of a middle aged man ring out clearly, "Whoa! That's my nephew! But with who...? You can't possibly be with that girl you were talking about right? It sounded like things didn't go so well..."

Not well is an understatement, sometimes I'm a little shocked how my Uncle can pick up on things like this.

I choke a little, "No I'm uh, I'm here with a girl from Yamaku. We missed the last bus back so we're stuck here for the night."

"Hah! Classic!" Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought about that. Uncle claps his hands together and questions me further, "So, who's a lucky lady?"

"Uh... H-Hiromi Fukuhara, we're classmates."

"Oh, you mentioned her in your email right? She sounds nice." I can just see the old man smile, even through the phone. "Must be some good company right?"

"Get your head outta the gutter! It ain't like that!" I bellow as Uncle just laughs.

"There's that accent again... How long has it been since you've been back to your home town now Kichi? Two years or so?"

"I think so, last time I was there... I think it was for my parents funeral service."

The line falls silent, this time I know why. It takes some time for a response to come so I take a few to stare out onto the streets outside.

"It's been that long hey...?" Uncle sighs and takes another sip.

"Yeah..."

"So this girl that you knew from way back... What happened after you met again?"

I don't want to tell him what I actually said, "Um... It didn't go too well. I think some people can't stand the way I am now..."

Uncle grunts, "That isn't true Kichi, there's still plenty of people that like ya..."

... Maybe he's right.

[We're friends, right?]

"Kichirou?"

"Oh yeah sorry, dozed off there..."

"Yeah yeah, you really should get to sleep."

"But first!" Uncle perks up, "How's the new leg huh?"

"It's uh... I- It's great...?"

I can see my Uncle frown, "You haven't tried it yet have you..."

"... N-No."

What I expect to hear next is a scolding but instead I get something else entirely, laughter.

"Not surpised! Well, I tried anyway..." Finishing off his drink while laughing, I frown at his tone.

"I'll have you know that come this week, I'll be walking."

"Really?"

"Yes, I met the school's track captain and he's offered to help me."

"That's great Kichi! See what happens when certain things are given to you." I don't know how to feel about that line...

"About that," I sigh, "Why did you buy it? You could've used the money for something better."

Uncle goes silent, I hear him sigh and throw a can across his room.

"Kichirou, what could possibly be better than spending money on my only family...? And anyway, you needed it."

"Remember what I said before?"

... Of course. Heh, figures.

"I'm gonna hang up now Uncle."

"You do that, get some sleep alright?"

"I will, thanks."

"Oh and by the way, good luck with the girl alright? Remember, even if the environment plays to your advantage, don't get cocky!"

I end the phone call and hold my face in my hand, damn old man... It's n-not like that!

As I limp back to the room, I smile faintly as I recall a moment from long ago...

I'll do it Uncle, I'll change.

"..."

"In other news, Business in the Shadows. More information has come to light on the recent moves and actions made by the Fukuhara family in the past few weeks they've been in Chiba. Although the family still claims that they're in the region on vacation, rumours are buzzing about a possible deal being done secretly with other big names. Deals, that if made final, could spell the end of several small time businesses and local landmarks."

"Mr. Fukuhara was not available for comment. In other news..."

"..."

"... Hey."

"Hey... Uncle."

"Huh? Hm, what's up Kichi?"

"... C-Could-"

"... D-Do you think I could... Walk again?"

"Sure you can."

"... R-Really?"

"Sure pal! Hell, I can walk can't I?"

"..."

"Haha, okay look. Using myself as an example was a bad idea... But listen, of course you can."

"The doctors are confident in your recovery."

"..."

"B-But..."

"W-What if I-I... Fall?"

"..."

"So what?"

"Kichirou..."

"You get back up."

Last edited by RidiculousLuke on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RidiculousLuke

Re: Puppet Show [OC Story] Act 2 Update! 23/05

Post by RidiculousLuke »

*Warning* For anyone who finds slightly suggestive things unsettling, be sure to skip the first segment in this chapter :)

Act 2 Chapter Four- Romance Recon Part 1

"Ah... What a relief." Turning the handle has produced the desired results. Water comes pouring down, I stand motionless as it cascades down my body. Can you believe it though? For once a shower is listening to me... Usually it's either too hot or too cold...

I let out a groan as I lean my head against the wall, I needed this... Amidst the noise of the shower, the sound of a door opening rings out. I turn my head to look in panic, but no one's there. I continue peering around regardless, the fog on the glass making quite hard to see outside.

I shrug and nearly give up looking until a slim figure appears in front of the shower door, My heart nearly stops as the glass door swings open and someone steps inside. I avert my gaze immediately, Hiromi stands in front of me with an embarrassed smile.

"W-Wha- What are you d-doing?" My question misses it's target as Hiromi looks me over with a coy smile and reaches down past my abdomen. I let out a squeal as she watches me with a relaxed but oddly determined gaze, "O-Oh Wha-"

"Fukuhara! You can't rush these things, he still needs a wash!" Where the hell did she come from!? Chiyoko presses her body against my back, giggling and nibbling my ear slightly, the blonde eventually starts rubbing soap over my shoulders slowly, "Can't have my Kichirou being smelly..." She trails off while fiddling with my chest.

... She's not wrong, I am a little stin- wait?!

At some point Kobayashi stepped in as well, she stands near Hiromi with a smile. Her chest presses against mine, all I can manage to say is nothing more than a groan...

"S-Stop staring... It's embarrassing!" Kobayashi protests, but she shows no signs of removing her bosom off my person. Hiromi giggles silently at the scene while rubbing my thighs, this is getting outta control...

Chiyoko moans suddenly and grips me tightly. It's hard to keep my eyes open but I manage to tilt my head up, I nearly do a double take as I notice another girl. Hanamoto hangs from the ceiling with nothing but a towel covering her.

"This is quite the scene..." She bites her lip with a flustered expression.

Hiromi grows tired of avoiding the obvious, she shoots her hand up and grips me softly. I let out a gasp, Kobayashi notices this and looks down.

"F-Fuku! N-No fair..." The pony tailed girl reaches down and grips me as well. Both the girls begin competing for my affection, they really don't have to... They're both great.

"Mind if I take a photo?" Hanamoto giggles.

"Wash, wash, wash..." Chiyoko hums happily.

"F-Fuku, where are you going?! I-I want to do it!"

Paradise reached...

Another figure appears before us, I look over with ecstasy.

"... I don't wanna be here anymore." Takashi says flatly.

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

My eyes shoot open, I have no time to look around as a foot flattens my face. The pressure causes me to cry out in pain, the perpetrator flinches at the noise and leaps off me.

... I can't m-move.

I lay defeated in my makeshift bed, the aftermath of that dream and this event leaving me damaged beyond repair. I look up slightly, Hiromi looks down at me, dressed in the same gown from yesterday and currently showing me an expression I can only describe as true horror.

... In a way, I deserve this. And anyway, I said something like this would probably happen.

I don't like being right...

=====

Ah I hate this... There's nothing worse than sleeping in the clothes you wore yesterday and then, since you have no other options on you, have to wear it all again the next day. A shower can only shield you from tainted clothing for so long...

Well it's okay, We're going back to Yamaku soon so I'll be able to change back into uniform. Oh, wait, not today. One glance at my phone's calendar tells me that there is no school today... Should probably count us lucky then. The grounds are quieter when there's no school, We can avoid the all the questioning and possible looks from our peers...

Although I doubt anyone would care, apart from maybe the students from our classroom, the council, and just to put him in there, Takashi.

I look up from my phone at Fu- Hiromi, I watch her as she looks through her things while shaking the water out of her hair. Unlike me, Hiromi was smart. She used her gift shopping trip to also buy herself some new things, namely a fresh outfit. Lucky...

Noticing her hair once more makes me think, I also could've had a shower... Too late now Kichirou.

A slight ache grabs my attention, I sigh and rub my hand over the obvious foot like print embroidered on my face. I hope this'll fade by tomorrow... I turn my gaze back to Hiromi, she claps her hands together and looks to me.

[Are you ready to go?]

"Oh, y-yeah." I rub my head slightly and grab my crutch, "I think I've had my fill of purple carpet for... maybe a year?"

Hiromi giggles silently and leans down to grab her shopping bags. We both inspect the room one last time before stepping out into the hallway, even if we're in a place like this, we don't want to be labelled as untidy...

The stairs unfortunately take some time for me, I really don't like making people wait... As we walk past the front desk, the same woman from yesterday looks us over sleepily. Must suck pulling an all nighter here... W-Wait, is she looking at m- yeah, yeah, she is. Oh great, she noticed the mark...

And now she is... S-Smiling? Wha- Oh god... I get it. It's not like that lady! Please sto- oh, we're outside now...

Unlike last night, this side of the city is no longer filled with the 'creatures' of the night. As we step out of the alley way and onto the walkway, we're surrounded by the usual city folk.

It takes some time but we eventually arrive at the bus stop, what was once empty yesterday is now a hub of activity. Fuk- Hiromi and I take a seat and wait for our bus, The girl at my side sits nicely while brushing some of her hair behind her ear while I sink into the bench lazily and turn my gaze to the sky above.

A few minutes pass until our bus slides into the scene, I remove myself from my seat reluctantly, the reassurance of the fact that I'll be seated again as soon as we get on the bus being the only thing giving me hope...

Man... I didn't sleep well last night.

We somehow manage to scrape together enough cash for two fares before taking our seats. With the bus being packed, Hiromi is sitting near the front while I'm at a random chair in the back. I look to the lady seated next to me, she eyes me oddly before looking out the window.

Red faced cripple... Is probably my new nickname.

The bus shoots off quite a lot of smoke as we begin our journey back, I shut my eyes and let the bumps in the road lull me to sleep.

A sleep that ends up not lasting long enough. The bus stops just as dramatically as it started, I pry my eyes open and look to the passengers disembarking. It's at this moment that I realise that the lady next to me is probably started to grow impatient.

I cripple leap off of my seat, making sure to leave enough room for her. She stands up cautiously and bows to me before stepping off. Huh, can't judge someone based on a stare... I should know better.

Giving a nod of thank you to the disinterested driver, I hop off the bus and face the gates of Yamaku. The morning chill is still around but I can tell it's starting to warm up, I stretch out slightly while looking around.

Fukuh- Hiromi, darn it... Waves me over. I nod slightly and follow after her as she begins walking with bags in hand.

"So, was the ride comfortable?" What the hell kind of question is that Kichirou...?

F- Hiromi looks ahead briefly before nodding, oh right she can't 'talk' while carrying all that.

"T-That's good." I turn my focus back to the cobblestone trail.

With the scent of fresh cut grass and flowers floating through the air, we pass through the rest of the grounds in a peaceful silence. I think we're both quite happy to be back, Yamaku is at times strangely like home in a way.

We soon end up standing before the dormitories, Hiromi looks to me with a smile. I scratch my head at the sudden attention,

"Uh... So, here we are at last. Look I'm s-sorry about all this," I let my gaze sink to the floor, "If I had just brought some more money, we could've stayed at some place decent..."

I want to vent further but Hiromi stops me with the flick of her pen, [Kiro... It's fine, really. We survived right?] Hiromi giggles silently.

I let out a laugh as well, "I guess we did... Or we could be ghosts right now."

Hiromi shakes her head with a smirk, [Doubt it. Thanks for coming with me Kiro, I don't know what would of happened if you weren't there.]

"Oh please," I chuckle, "You would've done fine without this phony pray mantis following you around..." I rest my hand against the bite mark from yesterday, "Seriously, I caused you nothing but trouble."

Hiromi's expression sinks a little but soon regains some of it's light again, [I'll see you tomorrow?]

"Sure, if we're both in class!"

... Why did I say that?

Hiromi seems to find it funny as she turns to leave, she stops however to write out another message. She doesn't give a lot of time to read it since she kinda flashes it in front of me before walking off with a wave.

[You're not phony...]

... O-Oh, okay.

My breathing returns and I'm finally back to the real world. I look around like a sailor lost at see until I see the light that is my dormitory, better get back to my room then...

... Did she really mean that?

=====

"... Damn, come on."

It takes several attempts but I eventually unlock my door, clearly my lack of sleep is affecting my motor skills. Or I could just have a bad lock...

My room doesn't exactly jump at me in greeting, it's actually the other way around. I've never been so happy to see this beige place... As I place my phone and wallet down, my eyes flick over to the box in the far corner. I sigh to myself and limp over to my cardboard friend. After giving it a blank stare, I hook my crutch behind it and start pushing my non organic roomate over to my bed.

The softness of my mattress surprises me, so much so that I almost pass out. I shake my head in an attempt to stay awake as I open the box slowly, the cardboard edges feel rough under my fingertips. I take a breath as the steel of the prosthetic looks back at me, My hand reaches inside cautiously.

After several mediocre tries, I manage to extract my new leg from the box. I lay it down next to me before taking out the other things from their cardboard prison. With all the parts now sitting in a neat little row, I take a moment to observe them all.

Okay, so that's the standard leg. And that's... The running blade? What the hell? The more I look over all these attachments I start to wonder, just how much was this all...?

Uncle... My mood dips for a few seconds before it gets knocked out of the picture as I notice one more thing in the box, I reach inside curiously.

The paper is neatly folded, no inexperience or scuff marks here, just a plain old message. Opening it jogs my memory... Of course, Nishimura. I've got to go see him soon. I promised.

Well actually, it's more like I just agreed due to peer pressure. But hey, it could be fun... Hopefully.

I stand and hop over to my desk, I place the message down gently before returning to my bed. I grab my prosthetic and it's pals and prop them up against the wall next to my bed. Might as well keep them out, just in case...

I shove the box under my desk to be thrown away later and remove my thoroughly used hoodie off my body, I cringe at the smell that emanates from me. I should really take that shower now, the wash room will be empty this time of day right? I look to my alarm clock and smirk, oh yeah. as empty as the cafeteria during a strike.

Pulling a change of clothes out of my closet and hopping out of my room, I head for the shower.

Just as I expected, this place is dead quiet. I waste no time stripping off the rest of my dirty clothes and jumping into the shower. As the water falls from the tap, I begin to contemplate my plans for the day.

Hiromi and I got back rather early so I still have the whole day ahead of me... What should I do?

I contemplate my options while rubbing a load of soap through my hair, the factory made scent makes my nose scrunch and the bite mark from yesterday sting slightly.

... I should really invest in some better products, maybe I should ask Takashi about it. His hair is always oddly shiny, despite all the crap he puts in it. I rinse the soap out while cringing, can't say I'm looking forward to that conversation though.

It takes some time but I've successfully removed all the grime from my body. My foot hits the tiled floor sloppily, I brace myself on a nearby wall while reaching for a towel.

As I dry myself off, I can't help but notice my reflection in the mirror. Despite the fogged up glass, I can still make out the heavy lines under my eyes. It's amazing that people hang with me when I look like this... On the plus side, at least that red mark is gone.

I wrap my towel tightly around my waist and hop out of the wash room, last thing I need is for it to slip off and let the whole world see my situation...

My door shuts behind me as I begin to change into my new clothes, the fabric feels heavenly for some reason. satisfied with my state of dress, I take a seat at my desk and stare out the window calmly.

My eyes dart to the textbooks on my left, I let out a sigh and grab one off the stack. I do have exams soon, might as well study...

=====

The afternoon sun burns upon the concrete as I step out. Well that's one way to spend the first part of your day, but I got a lot done... My mind wanders as I lean against the tree near the dorms, I really thought I would have way more energy today. Well whatever, I'll think of something at some point...

My dilemma will have to wait for now, I turn my head to see Hanamoto approaching the dormitories. My expectations of an odd interaction with our council president is broken as I feel a pair of hands pull me backwards.

I let out a groan as my back hits the bark of the tree, I'm about to protest but the feeling of something soft pressed against me puts me on silent. Chiyoko is nearly hugging me, her attention is focused on something in front of us. I strain my neck to see behind the tree but I end up seeing nothing but wood.

I move my hand to Chiyoko's shoulder to try and get her attention, she flinches at my touch and flicks her gaze to mine,

"W-What are you doing?" I question with a blush.

She opens her mouth to respond but shuts it instantly as she stares into the distance again. After a few moments of me stewing under her general proximity and her gaze slowly returning to mine, she speaks,

"I'm tailing Ayame!" She looks around suspiciously, "She didn't see us though right?"

"How should I know? I couldn't see anything like this..." I look to her chest and blush, the v neck shirt she wears shows off just a little bit of her bust.

Chiyoko blushes and lets go of me, "S-Sorry Kichirou! I didn't want us both to be seen so..."

"I-It's cool." I rub my chest lightly as she looks to the female dormitory seriously,

"She's out of sight for now but luckily I've got an agent on the inside!" Chiyoko exclaims before leaning against a nearby wall.

"Agent? Are you a spy now?"

She giggles, "Sorta! I let the rest of the council in on my plan so they've been keeping tabs on our heads when I'm not around..."

Tabs? She's not joking around, "Ah, the whole relationship thing. So you have a plan now?"

"Yep! But I've got to learn their patterns! Everywhere they go, stuff like that." Chiyoko nods to herself while smirking, "There is a problem though," Her face sinks, "I can't keep track on the both of them... But! That's where you come in!"

I raise an eyebrow and move to question her before remembering what I said yesterday. Oh yeah... I said I would help.

"So I was wondering, can you keep your eye on Fumio for me?" Chiyoko looks to me hopefully, I blush and look off to the side.

"S-Sure, but right now?"

"This is the best time Kichirou! He's still on campus!"

That's true. I won't have to drag my body around the town if he's nearby. I push off the tree and speak, "Alright, so where is he?"

Chiyoko smiles, "Last I checked, he's still in the library."

Well, I might as well do this. It actually sounds a little exciting, and it probably beats whatever I was going to do with the rest of my day...

"Okay, I'm in. What should I do once I find him?"

Chiyoko ponders this, "Well, you can stay hidden and watch him and then... Follow him! But I doubt that'll help, When he's stuck in a good book, Fumio doesn't move for a good while."

Stuck in a- Oh, right, Braille. Wait, did she say follow? I'm sure he'd hear me coming, when I walk I sound like a broken one man band...

"But you can do whatever! Just make sure you don't tell him about any of this!"

"Of course. I'll get going then." Before I can leave, Chiyoko stops me.

"H-Hey Kichirou?"

I turn back, "Yeah?"

She grips my arm and blushes, "C-Can I get your number, we might have to message each other about this you know..." Chiyoko looks to the floor while giggling quietly.

"Oh, right. S-Sure." I rub my head with my stub and chuckle nervously. It would suck if I couldn't give her updates. I pull out my phone while Chiyoko quickly gets out her own,

"Okay, I'm sending it..." I raise my phone to the sky for some reason.

"G-Got it! H-Here's mine!" Chiyoko squeals with joy as I recieve her information, I make a new contact and check to see if the number works before putting my phone away.

"There we go... Well, I'll go find him." I wave with my stub and start hopping away from the dorms, "Keep me in the loop alright?."

Chiyoko waves me off with a smile, "I will, be careful and uh... Be stealthy!"

Be stealthy? I laugh to myself as I limp through the school grounds. Well, this should be interesting... I wonder if I'll be able to keep a straight face? or a quiet... um, foot?

I take a mental step back as I grasp the handle of the main buildings door. I can't believe I'm doing this... Oh well, I said I would...

The halls are quiet, really quiet. Which is a little abnormal, I know it's a Sunday but really... I at least expected to see some of the staff milling about. I have to reach far into my memory to locate the school library, what can I say? I've never been a big fan when it comes to books, so I naturally filtered it out when I first enrolled here.

Despite the beige walls, I piece together the most likely scenario possible. It's gotta be around here... It has to be. I close my eyes for good luck and turn the corner, what stands out is a rather tall set of double doors.

That looks important, I limp towards it and peer inside. Jackpot. Several shelves and smelly books galore! ... Okay, it's not that bad. It's actually a nice smell.

It reeks of history, or at least the history belonging to the book's previous owners. I hop into the space and peer around, no nameplates... Looks like I'm gonna have to wander around until I find him.

It's a little disheartening as I scour row after row of book shelves and end up with nothing close to the guy I'm looking for. As I reach a section closer to the back, I feel slightly uneasy. This place is... Quiet. Why is that? I turn towards a shelf and examine it's contents.

Audio? and that must be Braille. Well, this is the right place I guess. I glance around until I find this sections little reading nook, my gaze instantly hones in on a familiar head of brown hair.

... There he is.

It's game time, sort of.

"..."

"Yo, got that stuff!"

"Hey Takashi."

"You wanted lemon right?"

"Yep, thanks."

"No problem."

"..."

"Kisu?"

"Yes?"

"What's that?"

"A book."

"..."

"Since when did you read?"

"Since History class. For the exam coming up, we were advised to read from a collection of books from a certain era..."

"..."

"Cool... Cool... Is it any good?"

"Not sure yet honestly."

"Well don't let me interrupt you then..."

"..."

"Takashi?"

"... Hm?"

"Is that a novel?"

"Y-Yeah."

"What kind?"

"U-Uh... I-It-"

"Let me see..."

"Whoa! Hol-"

"Oh, it's a roman- wait, what?"

"C-Could you please... Give it back."

"T-This is... lewd. I don't like assuming you're pervert all the time but honestly Taka, you're making it hard for me."

"T-That might be my preferred reading material but I'll have you know, I'm a pure man!"

"In your head maybe..."

"C-Could you give it back now?"

"In a minute... I'm suddenly very invested in this plot."

"KICHIROU!"

RidiculousLuke

Re: Puppet Show [OC Story] Act 2 Update! 26/05

Post by RidiculousLuke »

I was supposed to have this out by F-Friday... Anyway! It's a little short but here ya go :D

Act 2 Chapter Four- Romance Recon Part 2

Aisle upon aisle of books, the sunlight pouring through the nearby windows, the hardwood desk and chairs, in this scene stands two men. Well, one of us is standing, the other's sitting... I limp over to Nakajima slowly, trying my best not to disrupt the atmosphere of the library.

I look around before taking a seat opposite the vice president, Chiyoko wasn't kidding... This guy hasn't moved an inch. His fingers navigate the bumps in the book with precision. It's pretty incredible to watch honestly, I wonder how much information you can pick up from something like that?

Near the end of his current page, Nakajima stops. He lifts his head and opens his dull eyes slowly, I flinch instinctively at his gaze. for a second it's hard to believe that he can't see.

Nakajima peers around before speaking, "Hello?"

Damn it, what's the point of sneaking up on him Kichirou... "Hey, sorry I should've said something." I say while rubbing the fabric of my uniform shirt.

Nakajima frowns in concentration before smiling knowingly, "Susumu?"

"That's me, how's it going?"

"Not too bad thanks, what about you?" He returns his palm to his book, is this guy gonna read while we talk?!

"I, uh, I'm good thanks." Great, I'm here now but what should I say?

Nakajima seems to sense my lack of social preparation since he's the first to spark a conversation, "So, how are you doing with the exams?"

I swallow audibly and scratch my head, "O-Oh, you know... Getting by."

Nakajima chuckles and leans back, "That's good, don't worry alright? I'm not gonna bring up your first year like the other council members."

I sigh, "Was I really that bad?"

"I wouldn't say bad... More like, managed to hang in there?"

My head nearly hits the table, Nakajima just smiles and closes his book. He lowers his arm and reaches down to pick up something, "Say, are you hungry? I've got extra." He asks as he places several lunch tins onto the wooden surface.

I didn't see those earlier, "No thanks, I'm good."

"You sure?" Nakajima looks in my general direction with a bemused expression, "If you insist..." He shrugs and snaps apart his chopsticks before opening one of the boxes.

So I'm just gonna sit here and watch him eat lunch?

Does this count as Recon? I put my mission into question as I watch our vice president make his way through his rather diverse lunch, his chopsticks move across the plains of food methodically.
This isn't good, at this rate I'm gonna get hungry...

The last thing I want is to go back on my previous answer and then end up getting stabbed in the stub by a chopstick.

I gaze out the window as the sound of Nakajima chewing slightly fills the ambient noise of the room, A buzzing in my pocket rips my eyes away from outside. Pulling out my phone, a new message from my latest contact sparks my interest. I look over Nakajima cautiously, well it's not like he'll know unless I tell him...

I look over the message, [Kichirou! ^-^ Did you find him? :O If so, be sure to ask him about Ayame! >-_->] ... These emoticons. I kinda expected that Chiyoko would be one of those people. My phone returns to it's hiding place as I speak up, "

So, hey. What's our student council president been up to lately?"

The question seems to awaken something in Nakajima, a blush for the most part. "O-Oh, she's been... Well, Ayame. Nothing too crazy though, she's been busy with exams like the rest of us."

I nod, "Ah, really... Is that all? I honestly thought she would've been up to something."

Nakajima's blush intensifies and he chuckles, "Oh, well there was one thing... A-Ayame went down to the track yesterday. I told her that it would take some time before the track team could get the money together several times, but that didn't stop her. S-She faced them by herself and demanded the funds, she even went toe to toe with Nishimura. Oh, you've heard of the track captain right?"

I nod despite the vice's circumstance, "Oh yeah, I've spoken to him. He seems cool."

Nakajima nods as well, "Anyway, let's just say that Ayame and Nishimura... Don't get along very well."

"Really?"

"I've heard when they meet, it's like a street fight..."

I chuckle, "What? They really fight it out?"

"N-No! Hypothetically speaking..." Nakajima protests, "Well, maybe it hasn't gotten to that point yet..."

"Did she get the money in the end?"

"She got half of it... I wish she could've waited." Nakajima looks to the right with a grimace. "Patience is not her strong point... Instant results is like her personal mantra."

My phone rustles around, I fish it out and inspect it quickly. [What he say Kichirou?! -O-] What kinda face is that woman...? I quickly thumb in a response, making sure not to tip off Nakajima with the noise.

[He's talked about Hanamoto and her encounter with the track team so far. He seems a little embarrassed to talk about it...]

Another buzz makes me uncomfortable, [Oh yeah... That was crazy yesterday >:O I was there! Listen, try to ask him if he likes Ayame! We gotta be direct with Nakajima, or else he'll never talk! >o<]

... No subtlety from the blonde. It's a good idea though, I wonder if he'll admit it.

"So Nakajima," I hesitate slightly, "Do you like Hanamoto?"

His response to this question is all movement from his hands stopping, his eyes widening and the blush on his face reaching boiling point. I smirk at his, I knew it. I knew he had feelings for her since he spoke about her so passionately during the trek back to school from the Shanghai, but it's a little funny to see it so obviously.

No noise comes from Nakajima, for a second I'm a little scared he might've stopped breathing. I watch him with genuine concern as he slowly lowers his chopsticks to the desk and reaches up to fix the collar of his uniform.

I'm about to speak but Nakajima jumps over me verbally, "I-I... I don- I..."

... Sure he hasn't jumped very high but then again it's fairly easy to jump over me, especially if you knock me over. A few deep inhalations fill Nakajima's lungs with not only oxygen, but with confidence,

"I... I do. I love her."

As the words leave his mouth, his blind gaze homes in on mine. I flinch at the sight but I don't tear my eyes away...

He's serious...

Nakajima's gaze suddenly falters as he lowers it, "It's pathetic right? I shouldn't've said anything..."

I lean in my chair, "You're not pathetic." I let out a sigh and look away, "I know how you feel... Kinda."

Nakajima's tilts his head slightly but he doesn't speak. I rub my head and look him over, "So... Uh, what're you gonna do?" I look to the phone in my lap briefly, "You should tell her..."

Nakajima blushes and shakes his head, "N-No I couldn't! She... She doesn't see me that way."

I can't help but chuckle, "Are you kidding me? What about that party last week? She was all over you, heck she even kissed you."

"She was under the influence!" Nakajima protests, "A-And besides... Who would want a blind man as a boyfriend?"

I want to tell him that probably doesn't really matter, given the school we're in, but I can't bring myself to speak. The pained expression on Nakajima's face hits me hard, in a weird way I can relate to that look...

I want to bring the mood back up but Nakajima's already started packing his bag, He keeps his head down as he grabs his cane, "Look... I-I've got to go, it was good to see you..." He mumbles before walking away with a start. See you... Wait, shit. He's gone...

I sigh in defeat while my eyes look to the book on the desk, he left it...

I hoist myself up and grab my crutch. Before I can even limp away, my stub falls upon the book. I flip it open and run my forearm over the rippled pages... Don't know why I'm doing this.

The hard cover falls shut as I hobble out of the library, my gaze sticking to the floor as I move.

Chiyoko's right. Something needs to be done... My eyes track my reflection as I move along the window panned hallway near the main buildings exit. They should at least talk about it... But I don't think they'll do it willingly, I kinda see why Chiyoko's doing this now...

I push pass the door to the male dorm, the common room is rife with activity right now. I look the guys over briefly before heading for my room.

Maybe I should've gotten a book while I was there... Then again, I doubt I would read it in the end...

The light filtering through my window makes me groan, Damn it. That could've gone way better! I cover my face with my stub while reaching for my phone, I pull the device towards me and flick it open. I currently have a few messages from Chiyoko, was giving her my number a bad thing...?

Nah... I scroll through them slowly, clearly she wasn't all that busy with Ayame. Although should could've been texting me and watching our council president all at the same time, I can sorta picture Chiyoko doing something like that.

... Well, I should respond anyway.

[Chiyoko, I finished speaking to Nakajima. He admitted to liking Hanamoto but... He basically said he wasn't good enough and bolted.] Okay Kichirou... I think you've edited this message enough now... Send it.

I hit the button and watch as the small digital envelope flies off the screen with a ping. A sigh escapes me as I place the phone down next to me and run my hand through my hair while looking to my window again.

A jingle infused shaking causes me to almost jump out of my skin, that was quick. [I knew it!!! But really?! 0o0' He just walked off? That's odd, Fumio's usually a pretty confident guy...]

My fingers starting typing, [Perhaps, but not when it comes to his crush it seems. I'm not gonna lie, he looked really sad.]

Chiyoko replies, [Honestly! You guys and your insecurities! -_-]

[What about Hanamoto, what did you find out?] I type out. Her next reply takes a little more time to construct it seems, I make myself comfortable.

[Well it went... Okay? ^^' Miss President didn't do anything spectacular today. Since most of the left over festival work is finished, she now usually fills her time either by stalking other students or studying...]

I put my fingers to the buttons, [Stalking?]

[By stalking! I mean she likes to refresh her memory by getting to know the students, keep current you know! :D Ayame's a people person, it's kinda what makes her the leader o_^']

Makes sense, wouldn't want your leader to be some kind of shut in... I fiddle around with the scratch on my phone before responding, [So what did your fellow members of council find out?]

[Not a lot... Some of them had other clubs to go to and... Some didn't care actually. :'(]

... Guess not everyone cares about this whole thing. Then why do I care? The light from my window distracts me again, maybe I shouldn't bother contemplating this...

I actually want to see these two get together! W-Which is odd, I've never been one for high school related shenanigans... Times have changed huh?

A scowl wraps around my face at the phrase I muttered internally, yet another thing Ren would've said... Shit, I need to forget about that...

[But at least you helped me Kichirou! ^O^ I always knew you cared about me! <3]

... Shit. H-How do I respond to that? D-Do I care...? I... My silence seems to agitate the blonde.

[Kichirou? :O]

I grasp my phone tightly, [Sorry, I dazed off there for a second. What's your next move? Follow Hanamoto some more and make me monitor Nakajima again?]

[N.O.P.E! I got an even better plan! We're gonna mix it up! >:D]

Mix it up? What does she mean by that? I want to ask but after sending out that statement Chiyoko went silent. Is this woman building some kind of anticipation or something? I-It won't work on me... I place my phone on my night table and gaze around the room with a yawn, a quick look at my clock informs me that it's still late afternoon...

My bored eyes linger on the prosthetic leaning against the wall closest to my bed, I rip myself from my place of sleep and hop over to it carefully. The metal feels oddly warm as I run my hand down it's length thoughtfully. In just a few days, I'll be using a thing like this again... In a way I'm excited, but I'm also a little scared. Scared actually might be the wrong word... More like... terrified.

I put the prosthetic down and feel out the muscles in my neck while sighing. Relax Kichirou... That was a long time ago. Things will be different this time.

As I crawl back onto my bed, the bite mark from yesterday makes another appearance. Once again in the form of pain, I growl slightly as I cradle the arm to my chest. Pain in the ass... I should've bitten into my shirt instead. Though I wonder if a bite mark is just as noticeable on fabric as it is on skin? I chuckle dryly as I lay my head on my pillow and look to my alarm clock, the digital numbers 'tick' on calmly.

It's kinda early still, but maybe a little nap wouldn't hurt? Yeah, I'll get dinner later... Should I ask Taka if he wants to go out this evening? I still feel bad for ditching him at the arcade....

... Let's do that Kichirou. My eyelids close and my breathing settles as I begin drifting off into sleep...

=====

"I can do it I tell you!"

"I doubt it Taka..." Despite my barrage of disheartening, Takashi's not giving in.

After finishing off our meals, the blonde decided it was time to push himself to new heights. And what is he doing to achieve this? Uh, he's... Trying to flick a coin into his empty drink glass from a distance...

I don't get it either but he seems to be enjoying himself. I look around the wooden interior of the Shanghai while finishing off my drink, in terms of customers the place is pretty full however it's nowhere near how it was during the student council's party...

Speaking of students, There's a few of them sitting amongst the tables. I don't know them personally though. Along with them is a group of foreigners , the tall one of the group suddenly calls for a waiter before chatting away with the others about what I assume was their day in the city nearby... It's hard to tell given I have a terrible understanding of English.

Looks like they had fun I think, I can just pick out a few words here and there that are in Japanese. Must be nice to travel...

My observation of the exotic is interrupted by a coin hitting me in the face, I shout out in pain as Takashi gasps. I look to him with fury but he merely starts laughing while waving his hand,

"Sorry Kisu! Sorry!" The laughing dies down a little but a slight chuckle carries on as I rub my head.

"Crap, that was quite the shot I'll give you that..." I let out a sigh and check my hand. Nope, no blood luckily. Last thing I need is to bleed from the forehead for the second time this weekend...

"I'm telling you man, I'm gonna get it." Takashi reaches over and grabs the coin again and takes his stance, he closes one eye and practises his throw by moving his hand back and forth. He fumbles slightly but quickly repeats the motion, must suck when that happens. Just suddenly losing motor function...

I lean in my seat and glance at the kitchen in the back, the staff is as busy as ever. A few of them look no older than twenty, I wonder if this is a good place to work at if you're a student in uni? Looks like it... Hironori's working tonight. He places his trusty pencil in the band of his cap before bowing to a pair of customers and trotting off to the back, that guy's always busy...

A silver object hits the chair next to me, Looks like he missed again.

"Dang it! I got this man!"

I laugh a little and pass the coin back to the amateur. I then reach for my phone lazily, I look it over briefly before noticing the time. "It's getting late, we should get going." I gaze at him but Takashi isn't all that interested.

I shrug and pull out the money for our meal, I make sure it's enough before standing up, crutch in hand. As I limp out of the teahouse I wave goodbye to the staff happily. Opening the door here sure is refreshing... Time for the trek back up to school...

"Whoa w-wait Kichirou! I haven- Wha?"

"I-I got it! YES! THAT'S RIGHT BITC- Kichirou? K-Kisu? Hey! Wait up you prick!"

=====

A large yawn shakes me to my core. I'm finished... Better get some sleep.

I settle into bed with a sigh. Before I close my eyes, I think back to what Chiyoko said. What did she mean by mixing it up... Well, I've got a bad feeling I'll find out soon enough, whether I like it or not... I turn off the light and roll over onto my side.

Just as I start to drift off I can't help but smile. That was really good, that walk back up the hill...

"Sooo... Kisu!"

"Yeah?"

"What happened after you left the arcade yesterday?"

"..."

"What's the matter bro? Cat got your to-"

"W-Wait..."

"..."

"Spit it out man!"

"I-I..."

"I went shopping with Fuk- Hiromi and we w-"

"Hirom- You're on a first name basis now?!"

"Aren't you...?"

"... N-No."

"Anyway, w-we went shopping and then we missed the bus back so... W-We stayed at a H-Hotel..."

"..."

"... What kind of Hotel Kichirou."

"It was... uh, I-It was a... Lo-"

"I freaking knew it!!? I knew that bite mark meant something!"

"Wha- How did you noti-"

"But man! Who knew Fukuhara was such a-"

"HEY! Taka, it wasn't her. I di-"

"I don't wanna hear it you asshole! What the hell?! Man, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!"

"..."

"It's probably all that shouting... Tends to scare them off."

"You want some of this?"

"..."

"I think no one does..."

"..."

"S-Screw you Kisu... Hey, wait up! And would you stop laughing!?"

Last edited by RidiculousLuke on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mirage_GSM

Re: Puppet Show [OC Story] Act 2 Update! 31/05

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Somehow I missed Tuesday's update, so here is the commentary for both:
Okay, so that's the standard leg. And that's... The running blade? What the hell?
I don't think running blades are something every amputee gets in addition to a regular prosthetic. Besides most of them having little ambition to go running before they can walk, it is probably way too much to learn to walk in two different ways all at once.

And... Not much else to comment on actually. Maybe because I'm not really fond of the current matchmaking subplot - or Chiyoko in general for that matter.

That conversation at the end of the chapter was a bit strange as well. He was oddly forthcoming about the whole thing and didn't need any prodding at all. Also I think I lost track of who was saying what somewhere around here:
"HEY! Taka, it wasn't her. I di-"

"I don't wanna hear it you asshole! What the hell?!"

"Man, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!"

Sore wa himitsu desu.