Katawa Kijo

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Katawa Kijo

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, the action scenes were not originally part of the plan, because frankly, I'm not very good at writing them. However, every story needs a climax, and there'd been enough drama already...
Looking back, they came out better than I expected them to.

Chapter Twenty – Friend Like Me
We finally reach the back gate, and I pause a moment to catch my breath. The others are breathing heavily as well. No wonder: Neither Kenji nor Hanako are the types to give much thought to keeping in shape and Misha has been through a lot this last week. Shizune seems to be the one to cope with this the best.

I look at the road leading away from Yamaku. “Where does this lead?”

“...”

“This road leads down to the road connecting the town to the highway. It's used to deliver the supplies for the school. That entrance over there leads to the kitchen.” Misha translates Shizune's explanation.

“Sounds good.” We run for the gate, but as we approach it, I notice Shizune falling behind and finally coming to a halt altogether. I turn around. “What's up, Shizune? We have to hurry!”

“...” Shizune looks frustrated.

“She can't step outside the school-grounds! Akane's Enchantment!”

I want to smack myself for forgetting something so important. I turn around and run back to Shizune.

“But Akane said you'd get into trouble if you removed that Enchantment.” Misha actually sounds worried.

“I don't think it will get any worse than it is already.” The Enchantment proves to be easy to remove. I'm certain Akane could have done better. Tempting me to break the rules? No matter. After only a few seconds, the Enchantment is completely gone.

There are sounds like a boar tearing through the bushes behind us. Without a word we start running again; out the gate and down the road. After a hundred meters I realize the futility though and stop.

The others stop as well. Misha looks at me concerned. “What's wrong, Hisao? Is it your heart?”

I listen to my heartbeat. It is quick but it doesn't hurt... yet. “No, I'm fine, but look at us. There's no way we can outrun that guy. Emi certainly could, and maybe Shizune could as well, but if we keep running, he'll just keep going after us until we've collapsed one after another. We have to stop him somehow.”

Shizune looks like she's going to protest, but after she looks at our faces, she thinks better of it. With a determined look she turns around and faces the gate. Misha and I join her and finally even Kenji and Hanako, though Hanako stays mostly hidden behind Kenji.

After a few seconds Goratschin bursts from the door, notices us and stumbles to a halt. His lips curl up in a disdainful sneer. “I zee ze Necromancer has already formed himself a coven. I don't know vat you did to take out ze lady and ze fool, but it von't vork on me. Zurrender now, and I won't kill you.”

Misha takes a step forward. “Kenji is our friend. We won't let you take him!”

Goratschin's sneer turns even wider. “Ah, zat makes zings easier. If you take his zide, you are no longer bystanders, zo I can do viz you as I please.” He thrusts his arm forward and shoos a sizzling bolt of electricity at Misha.

I cry out, but before I can react in any other way, Misha holds out her right hand to 'catch' the bolt and immediately lets it fly again from her left, where it hits a tree leaving a nasty scorch mark.

Misha turns around, shaking her hand. “Ouch, that stings!” Noticing our expressions, she grins. “What? Did you think Rin's and Emi's schedules where the only ones Takeshi fiddled with?”

She directs her attention back to Goratschin, who is still grinning. “Ah, zis is going to be fun! How long do you zink you can keep zis up?”

He starts to shoot smaller bursts of static at Misha in rapid succession. At first she manages to deflect them all but Goratschin gradually increases his attack, until it almost looks like Misha is hit by a steady stream of electricity.

I try my best to counter his attacks, but he is doing them too fast, too many one after another. Misha looks like she is frozen into place, and by now she only sporadically manages to release some of the energy hitting her.

I cry out and try to reach her, but Shizune is faster. She sprints at Misha and tackles her, pushing her out of the way and landing atop of her in the grass two meters away.

I sprint to their sides. Shizune's blouse is burnt away at her left shoulder where Goratschin's magic hit her. She's lying on the floor groaning. Misha has no visible injuries, but she doesn't move at all, though she seems to be breathing.

“Zat's it for zose two. And now to you, Necromancer.”

I turn around to see what the Evoker is doing. He seems to be preparing another attack. The area around his feet is covered in frost, while he is gathering what looks like a globe of red energy between his hands. “Don't worry, zis will only hurt for a few minutes.”

He draws his arm back to throw the globe. There's no way I can counter the magic at this point, no way to get to Kenji in time, no way to... He throws.

“NO!”

From the corner of my eye I see Hanako running towards Goratschin, surrounded by a green aura, then the globe explodes, and I throw myself over Misha to protect her from the heatwave washing over us.

When the flames have died down, I lift my head and look at the carnage. A large area centered on where Hanako was last standing is nothing but blackened ashes. Hanako has been thrown back and is lying almost at Kenjis feet. Kenji is kneeling next to her cradling her in his arms.

I notice Shizune getting up to her knees next to me. I motion for her to look after Misha, and when she nods, I dash over to Kenji and Hanako.

My mind is racing. No one could have survived a blast like that. I drop down to my knees and look at Hanako. My heart sinks. Most of her hair has burned away, her uniform is in tatters, and what is visible of her body is completely covered in burn...

No, those are not scars... What are...? Scales! Hanako's body is completely covered in scales! I remember the green aura I saw earlier. I suppose scales are not that complex things to form, but I never would have expected Hanako to have the courage to throw herself in front of a fireball...

“Why did she do that?” I look up at Kenji and am surprised to see tears running down his face. “I mean, we're enemies, aren't we? This is supposed to be only a cease fire, and now she...” He breaks off sobbing. It occurs to me that he probably can't distinguish between third degree burns and scales very well.

“I don't think she thinks of you as an enemy anymore, Kenji. Don't worry, she'll be fine.” To be honest, I am not so sure, but it's best not to tell Kenji about that. I put my hand on his shoulder. “You take care of her and I'll take care of him.”

With that I rise and turn to face Goratschin. Despite my words, I have no idea how to take care of him. He is much too experienced for me to have any hope of countering his magic.

He looks at me with contempt. “You are an Abjurer, aren't you? And you are ziding vith a Necromancer? You are a disgrace for your peers! A shame for ze girl, but she got vat she deserved for trying to shield him. Vat did he promise her? Eternal life? Shame he von't keep his promise. Zey never do, even if I leave him alive long enough.”

Now it is my turn to feel contempt. “I see, you do not know the meaning of the word friendship. Kenji is our friend, and we will not let you kill him.”

He let's out a laugh. “And vat vill you do to stop me? It is just you and the Necromancer now. If you step aside, I vill let you live.”

“I won't.” As I frantically search for a way to keep the Evoker at bay, I remember something the nurse told me last week. Abjurers can create barriers of magical force. Will that be enough to stop his magic? No choice but to try.

I picture a wall rising between me and Goratschin and direct all my power into that wall. Looking at it with my normal vision, I can see nothing at all, but looking on with my mage-sight, there is a barrier of white light. It looks a bit fuzzy around the edges, but it is definitely between me and my attacker.

Goratschin looks at me with something akin to grudging respect. “Not bad, boy. You might have had potential. Too bad you picked the vrong zide.” He begins throwing those bolts of electricity again. “You von't be able to keep zis up for long, you know.”

He is right. Already, the wall is starting to break up every time a bolt hits, and it is all I can do to keep it from disintegrating completely. I need to do something else...

Amplifying! Until now, I used this talent only on the magic of others, but can I also strengthen my own? Keeping the barrier up, I envision it growing stronger, much like I did with Nomiya's lights. There's a tightness in my chest, but I pay it no heed for now.

When I look up, the barrier has grown in brightness as well as in size. Goratschin is squinting at me. “Vat? How are you doing zat? You should not be able to do zomezing like zat!”

His attacks increase in ferocity. I feel each impact in the barrier, but it stands firm.

A sharp pain in my chest. My hand shoots up to cover it. No, not now!

Still the barrage is unrelenting. Need... to... keep... it.. up! The pain is increasing along with the effort I put into the barrier. My throat constricts, I can't breathe. There are black spots appearing in my vision. I fall to the ground. The barrier falters...

The last things I see before all fades to black are Kenji's face screaming something I don't understand and the whole area being bathed in a white glow...

“I think he's coming to again” The voice is somewhere far off. It is a voice I know, but I don't remember who it belongs to. “I'll take the rest, you go over and help Ms. Miyagi with Hanako.”

Where am I? The ground beneath me feels soft... Grass? Somewhere outside? Tentatively I open my eyes a tiny bit, only to close them immediately, when the bright afternoon sun shines in my face.

Afternoon sun? Wasn't it before noon, when...?

My eyes fly open again. This time the nurse shifts a bit to the side, to block the sun from blinding me again. I try to talk, but my throat is parched, and I only manage some croaking sounds.

The nurse looks at me with concern. “Just calm down, Hisao, everything's okay now. You don't want another heart attack so soon, do you?” He props up my upper torso with some blankets and hands me a glass of water.

My chest is covered in electrodes leading to an ECG. During the past few months, I've learned to interpret those squiggly lines a bit. These look like I won't be dying in the next few minutes.

“Hicchan!” Without warning, Misha throws herself at me, embracing me. “I'm so glad you're okay, Hicchan, they said, you might not make it this time, and...”

She is interrupted and pulled away from me by the nurse. “I'm sorry, but that will have to wait until later. He may not be in immediate danger any more, but he is still connected to the ECG.”

I glance at the display. Right now, the lines don't look healthy at all, but that might be because Misha tore off two of the electrodes. I try to talk again, and this time I manage a short question. “What happened?”

“Well, Takeshi showed us what was happening out here, and when people were starting to get hurt, Mr. De Gasperi decided to put a stop to this and we all went after you. Then we came upon you just as this Goratschin guy attacked you. Mr. Kanzaki and Mr. Mutou took him into custody, and I don't think you will hear from him again in the near future”

That's something, but another question is weighing on my mind. “Kenji?”

The nurse starts to answer, but Misha interrupts him. “Would you believe that Italian guy still wanted to take him, after all that happened! But you were lying there and the nurse said you were going to die, and Kenji said to let him help you, and he did, and then he said it was okay for him to stay here.”

I don't understand a word of what she just told me, and it must be showing on my face, for the nurse is trying hard not to laugh out loud. When he has himself under control again, he begins to explain more slowly.

“Well, using your amplifying powers in that way was a huge strain on you. By the way, I hereby forbid you from amplifying your own powers ever again. You would have died today, if it hadn't been for Kenji.”

I try to ask another question but my throat is still hurting. Misha fills my glass again and hands it to me. I nod a thanks to her. “How did he...?”

The nurse shakes his head. “Kenji came to my office Friday morning and wanted to know everything there was to know about 'a disease called Arrythmia'. He wouldn't tell me who told him, but I think it's safe to assume that Takeshi mentioned it to him.”

“Anyway, when Mr. De Gasperi saw Kenji tending to you and to Hanako, he changed his mind about taking him into custody. He said he'd argue Kenji's case with his superiors, and that he'd probably be allowed to stay here for the time being.”

I feel like I'm slowly regaining control of my voice. “What about the others?”

“We met Emi on our way here. I had to threaten to take her other legblade away as well to prevent her from tagging along. I told her to get herself to the medical station, but she'll probably come running as soon as she gets her spare legs. The others are all at the medical station.”

When he notices my alarmed look, he makes a calming gesture. “Don't worry, everyone's going to be fine. Shizune has some burns on her left arm and shoulder, but with Kenji's help it won't even leave a scar. Hanako's in a bit of a shock, so I put her to sleep for now. Ms. Miyagi is working to turn her scales back to skin, and from what I've seen so far, the skin looks like after a severe sunburn. I just sent Kenji after her to treat that, or it will become very painful in the next few days.”

“I'm most worried about Ms. Mikado here. She took quite a beating there, and though she looks fine there might be internal injuries from all the electricity. The problem is, she refused to go to the medical station, until she was sure a certain someone was all right.”

Misha grins at me. “Hey, I told them I was okay. I even let them bandage my hand.” She waves her right hand in front of my face. It is indeed covered in a bandage.

The nurse sighs. “I hope you'll agree to come to my office, because maybe then there is a chance that she'll come along.” I nod my agreement. “Great! You two wait a moment, and I'll be back with another nurse and a stretcher.”

I want to protest, but I have to admit, I'm probably not in any condition to walk all the way to the nurse's office right now.

The nurse disappears and for the first time in what feels like ages I am alone with Misha.

“You know,” Misha smiles, “you looked really cool when you were facing that big brute all on your own.”

“So you were awake?”

“Mostly... To be honest, if Shicchan hadn't confirmed it afterwards, I might have thought I'd been dreaming. It's not everyday I have a White Knight in Shining Armour fight a duel to the death for me. And the literal White Shining Armour has to be even more rare. I think it's customary for the princess to reward her knight with a kiss, isn't it?”

Before I can answer or react, she is leaning forward and embracing me again. This time our lips meet, and as I lose myself in her arms, I feel for the first time that if my heart would stop beating at that very moment, I could die without regrets...

Please look forward to the Epilogue:
Perfect World
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

A great chapter once again, I'm kinda sad its almost all over but it has been a good long read, kudos goes to you :mrgreen:
AapoAlas

Post by AapoAlas »

I'm looking forward to an epilogue of the type: "And Kenji went on to become the most horrific Necromancer ever to walk upon the Earth. The first thing he did was to murder all of his friends in ways each more horrible than the previous. After that he set onto exterminating women except for an unlucky few who went on to become the breeding machines of his new army. An army built of death and destruction, the Kenji Machine. He would terrify the world for centuries to come, leaving only a small amount of 'free' people alive to fear him, just out of fun."
Nothing to be seen here. Do check out my little dabbling in the art of words, though.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Close... but not quite.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

So, this is it: the final part of Katawa Kijo.
What started out as a somewhat more serious take on a rather silly fanfiction soon grew out of proportion - with the final wordcount now at 47.911.
Originally I thought it would end up at a fourth, maybe a third of that.
A final thanks to Snicket and especially to Leotrak who proofread all of this (and who would be a rich man, if he could keep a dollar for each comma he took out of my texts).
I hope you all enjoyed Katawa Kijo.

Epilogue – Perfect World
A cold wind is blowing in our faces as we leave the gym and step into the schoolyard. Though the sun's rays are still weak, the sky is clear, and they are warm enough to feel comfortable once the wind has let up a bit. Slowly we make our way towards the dorms. Our parents stayed behind to chat with Mr. Mutou for a while.

Misha is holding my hand. “Can you believe it's almost been a year since we first met?”

I shake my head. “How could I? So much has happened since then that I feel like it's been an entire lifetime.”

“Really? I hope you're not getting tired of me after a whole lifetime.”

I know she's just teasing me, but no matter what I say in this situation, she will use it against me. Luckily I spot a chance to change the subject. “Look who's come to visit!”

Misha follows my gesture, breaks into a smile and waves. The two figures are still a ways off, but the tall silver-haired man and the dark-skinned woman are unmistakable – probably the reason they didn't attend our graduation ceremony. We change direction slightly to meet the two.

As expected Misha greets them loudly as soon as they get in earshot – which is quite a distance, if Misha is calling. “Hello Mr. De Gasperi! Hi Martine!”

In the months following the incident Mr. De Gasperi frequently visited Yamaku to keep track of Kenji's progress. It is probably due to his influence with the Mediterranean Council that they never sent anyone else to take him away.

The rest of us exchange greetings and handshakes when we have closed to a more reasonable distance.

“Ah, Hisao, Misha, good to see you. I hope the graduation ceremony went well?”

Misha snickers. “Yes, except for when Rin wandered off sometime in the middle, because she thought it was too boring.”

“And when you decided to embellish on Shizune's speech a bit. You should pray that Takeshi never tells her just what you translated.”

“Hey, everyone liked it, and it wasn't as boring as the stuff Shizune planned to say.”

Martine laughs. “I see, you 'ave not changed at all. 'ow are Shizune and Lilly?”

“Well, Shicchan complained a lot that Lilly was seeing more of her boyfriend than she did, but that should change now that she's not his student anymore. Besides, they should better get along now that they both decided to enter the diplomatic service.”

“They were both accepted to the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, by the way. Shizune enrolled in International Law and Lilly in Linguistics.” I hesitate and look at Misha. “It was English and Chinese as majors and Russian on the side, wasn't it?”

Misha shrugs. “I think so. She's so lucky she can read people's minds no matter what language they think in. Why does she even bother?”

“Sat is because she also 'as to be able to talk to people. Most people don't know about magic. She cannot just mind-talk to anyone. But in a meeting where sere are only mages are present, a Diviner is some kind of universal translator.”

“Yes, and Enchanters are highly sought after in diplomatic service to make sure no one is magically influenced during negotiations,” De Gasperi interjects. “You gave her the idea, Martine, didn't you?”

“We just 'ad a talk about my work. I would 'ave to be stupid to suggest this to such a talented Enchantress. If she starts working for se Pacific Council, she is bound to talk us out of New Mexico.” Despite her words, she is smiling.

Martine had taken a bit longer to warm up to us, but once Kenji had fixed her two broken ribs, she also became quite friendly – especially with Lilly and Shizune. Both of them developed a strong interest in politics - both regular and between the seven councils – after hearing Martine talk about her work.

“She's saying the Southern Council should be more concerned about Australia.”

Takeshi's voice startles me. I turn around to see him walking up to us together with Shizune. To be honest, I was quite surprised when Shizune told us that she and Takeshi had started dating, but Misha told me she'd seen it coming all along. I have to admit they make a nice pair, not only because they don't even need sign language to communicate. Back then Takeshi has proven himself a schemer to rival even Shizune...

“Ah, sere you are. 'isao already told us se news. Congratulations on your acceptance!”

Shizune smiles and takes both Martine's hands before greeting Mr. De Gasperi. She then returns to Takeshi's side, who puts his arm around her waist.

Mr. De Gasperi turns back to Misha and me. “So, what about you? Do you have any plans for the future?”

“We both got accepted into Gakudai.” Misha beams at him.

When his face doesn't show recognition, I elaborate. “It's a short for Tokyo Gakugei University, a school for teachers. I'm going for a major in Literature. If I'm lucky Mrs. Tsukamoto is going to retire around the time I'm finished, and I can return to Yamaku with Misha.”

“For now we've rented a small place about halfway between our University and Nippon Medical school where Hanako and Kenji are going to attend. Misha still needs regular treatments for her cancer so we decided rooming together would be a good idea.”

Martine looks at Misha with concern evident in her eyes. “'ow are Kenji's treatments progressing?”

“It's come to the point where the nurse said we could substitute his treatment for the chemotherapy. I got my last infusion three weeks ago, and the cancer hasn't grown since. It's still going to take a long time to completely cure it, but at least without the chemo, my hair is starting to grow back.” Misha points at the bandanna she is still wearing.

“Speaking of se devil...” Martine points towards the gym where two more figures are just leaving the building.

Sometimes it is still jarring to see Hanako's new look. Well, 'new' might be the wrong word, since she's been wearing her hair short ever since most of it was burnt away in that fireball. It makes her look more mature somehow.

The changes in her personality have been much more gradual, even after the scars on her face were hardly noticeable any more. By now, Kenji has assured me, there is not a single scar left on her body. She is now easily the most stunning girl on campus and has had no shortage of suitors – all of which were devastated to learn that she was already taken.

Kenji... Well, he is still mostly Kenji, but apparently Hanako has managed to convince him that garlic is not really effective against vampires.

More greetings are exchanged, then Mr. De Gasperi turns to Kenji. “I've been told you are going to study medicine. What field are you going to turn to?”

Kenji puffs out his chest proudly. “I'm going to be an ophtalmic surgeon!”

Both Mr. De Gasperi and Martine are taken aback by this statement. “An ophtalmic...?

“I am literally and figuratively going to open people's eyes about the demonic threat looming over us all!”

“But a surgeon? Pardon me, but your eyes...”

“Ah, don't worry about that, I've been working on that, and I'm sure it's going to be fine by the time I'm doing any actual surgeries.”

Mr. De Gasperi looks dubious, but Martine changes the subject by addressing Hanako. “What about you? Are you going to do se same sing?”

Hanako smiles, a sight that would have been unimaginable when I first met her. “I'm not sure yet. Ms. Miyagi suggested trauma surgery or internal medicine. I can't use Transmutation to actually heal people, but what it can do is stemming bleeding until regular treatment is finished or dissolving blood clots, temporarily widening arteries and many more things that can save people's lives.”

Mr. De Gasperi nods approvingly. “And Ms. Tezuka and Ms. Ibarazaki?”

Misha is the first to answer. “Rin is going to an Arts College of course. If she has any plans beyond that, she hasn't told anybody yet. Emi got into Tokodai...” This time she notices the blank looks she's getting herself. “Tokyo Institute of Technology. She's going to major in bioscience and biotechnology and wants to go into prosthetics research afterwards.”

Hanako continues for her. “Emi said she was lucky that she lost her legs below the knees, because there are no decent prosthetics for people who lost their legs above. She said she was going to fix that.”

“So, since you are all going to Tokyo, you are all going to live together?”

“No, it's just the four of us. Shicchan is going to move in with Takeshi, and Emi's and Rin's universities are a bit far away, so they got themselves a flat of their own.” She laughs, a clear sound I've been hearing more often again lately. “Doesn't matter much, though. She's gotten so good at Teleportation, she's probably going to be at our place more often than not.” She jabs her elbow into my ribs. “And a good thing that is, or Hicchan would never keep to his training schedule.”

“Hey!” I rub my smarting side. “Anyway, Lilly wasn't sure yet where she was going to move. She has relatives in Tokyo, but the commute would be very long. She might decide to stay with us after all. Hanako has been offering several times.”

Takeshi disentangles himself from Shizune. “I'm sorry, but I have to go now. There's a final meeting going to start in a few minutes. Kozo says you two are welcome to attend as well.”

Mr. De Gasperi looks at his wristwatch. “I think that would be a good idea. There are a few things I have to talk to him about as well.” He turns to us. “I think...”

He doesn't finish, because Shizune has started signing something. I'm still not any good at sign language despite Misha trying to teach me, but I can guess what this is about.

“I... that is Shicchan wants you to come to our graduation party tonight. Her dad reserved seats in a tea house in town, and there's going to be so many people two more won't make a difference.”

Martine and Mr. De Gasperi look at each other. “I sink sat we will find se time,” Martine says smiling.

The two leave together with Takeshi, heading for the auxiliary building. Hanako and Kenji also excuse themselves to grab something to eat in the cafeteria, leaving the student council to make their way to the dorms.

As Shizune walks ahead, Misha takes my hand, and we fall in step behind her. As I look over my shoulder and see the by now familiar Main building and park-like school-grounds, I am reminded of the day I first came here, the day my 'new life' was going to begin.

“You know, I'm really going to miss this place.”

Misha stands on her toes and places a kiss on my cheek. “I know. That's why we're going to come back.”

Thanks for reading !

Sore wa himitsu desu.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

One word, only one small often overlooked word is needed here:

Win
Petermeter

Post by Petermeter »

I loved this fanfic. Easily within the top ten of stories I have read - and I'd like to say I read rather a lot.
Thanks a lot for letting us in on that story, Mirage. If you find the time to write other stories, I'd spend my time on reading them anytime.
And btw: my respect for nearly 50k words o.O
Ranking after act 1:
Hanako > Rin >> Lilly > Shizune > Emi
I played the routes in that order, every ending and all.
Ranking after full playthrough:
Lilly > Emi >> Rin ~ Hanako > Shizune
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Mirage_GSM wrote:A final thanks to Snicket and especially to Leotrak who proofread all of this (and who would be a rich man, if he could keep a dollar for each comma he took out of my texts).
You're welcome :) So, when can I expect the first deposit? :P

Kidding, kidding ^_^" I had a blast proofreading this, and laughing in my fist when people made wild guesses about what was gonna happen next :3
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Petermeter

Post by Petermeter »

Just on a sidenote here - maybe you would like to update the OP with the links to the last four or five chapters ( btw: there is a typo in the OP in the number eightteen - not that it really matters). Just in case there are new people to this story.
Ranking after act 1:
Hanako > Rin >> Lilly > Shizune > Emi
I played the routes in that order, every ending and all.
Ranking after full playthrough:
Lilly > Emi >> Rin ~ Hanako > Shizune
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Petermeter wrote:Just on a sidenote here - maybe you would like to update the OP with the links to the last four or five chapters ( btw: there is a typo in the OP in the number eightteen - not that it really matters). Just in case there are new people to this story.
Thanks, fixed.
By the way, I'm looking for a second proofreader for my next story.
Interested?

Sore wa himitsu desu.
bintoy

Post by bintoy »

damn, Mirage, this is loads better than Harry Potter. For me that is.

First of all, I like Misha the best, and second, your insertion of magic in the story was smooth. I even made this forum's pages 1-7 available offline so I can read it even without internet.

You did your homework with those social problems and stuff.

Sometimes though, sometimes, I wonder if the dialogues are in character. I kind of found it hard to imagine Misha using words like 'hell' or 'bloke' on ending of chapter twenty.

but I don't really care. you write awesome. Amazing work.
heresy grows from idleness! -warhammer space marine
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Thanks for the praise.
But what do you mean by research into "social problems"?
I don't remember doing any research besides Disney songs and universities in Tokyo.
If you're talking about the politics of the mages and the councils... I did make a lot more notes about that than I actually got to use in the story. If I ever decide to write a sequel I might find them useful ;-)

Also, You're right about the bloke thing... Changed to "brute".
I don't think Misha is saying "hell" anywhere in that chapter, and if she did I'd probably be okay with it.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
bintoy

Post by bintoy »

"social problems" like how Shizune would've reacted to a part of Misha she cannot take part in. Nice presentation.
sequel would be most wonderful.

oops, Misha said 'hell' in chapter 12 when they confronted Shizune..
heresy grows from idleness! -warhammer space marine
powerdrive3

Post by powerdrive3 »

Really awesome work there. It was really good. Enjoyed it greatly. Might want to think of getting it published for real ;)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Thank you for the praise!

If you happen to know of a publisher who would accept a FanFiction to a not-yet-existant H-VN, please give me a call ;-)

Sore wa himitsu desu.