Tripping

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Tripping

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Guess what? Time for another scene (These are a bit to short for me to call chapters...)

Day 1, 23:00
I insert the test strip into the glucose meter and wait for the results. One hundred and twenty-three... A bit high, but since dinner was very late today, this is to be expected. Not enough to justify another dose of insulin.

My fingertips hurt a bit. Maybe I should switch to taking blood from my forearm for a time. It's harder to get enough blood from there, but it's less painful in the long run, and it gives my fingertips time to heal.

I just used up the last test strip from the packet, so I open a new one and calibrate my glucose meter to the new batch. There's 50 strips in there, which should be enough to last me until we're back at Yamaku with a few to spare. If not, I'm sure I'll find a pharmacy somewhere in this town we're staying in.

Satisfied I repack my instruments, carefully disposing the bloodied needle and test strip into the container.

I open the door to the lavatory and step back into our compartment. Lilly is already in her nightgown, but Hanako shows no intention of changing. I bite back a sigh. That girl is so exasperating at times. She's acting like she's the only one with problems. She really needs to get herself a boyfriend – preferably soon.

Better not suggest that to her directly, though, or she might faint on me. „You can use the bath now, Hanako.“

She only nods, quickly squeezes past me and disappears into the lavatory. She's probably even going to change in there...

It's much too cramped in there for me to even consider that. I make sure the compartment door is locked, take out my nightgown and start undressing.

Lilly isn't saying anything, so I try to make a little conversation. „This train journey must be pretty hard for Hanako.“

Lilly turns towards me. „Yes, but Okinawa and Kyoto would have been even worse, and in our youth hostel there will be double rooms. I don't think I could have convinced her to come otherwise.“ She smiles ruefully. „It's not because of you, Ikuno, please understand.“

This time I don't bother hiding my sigh. „I know, Lilly, but sometimes I think what she really needs is someone to give her a piece of their mind and a good shellacking.“ I notice Lilly's expression and add, „Don't worry, I'll restrain myself.“

I finish changing, when a thought occurs to me. „Say, Lilly, do you believe Hanako is going to be able to sleep with me being in the compartment?“

She hesitates. That and her expression are answer enough for me. „I thought so. Well, don't worry, I'll find someplace else to sleep." I grab my bed sheets and head for the door.

„Where are you going?“

„Well, I certainly won't bother Mizuki and Misaki, but I don't think Emi, Rin and Mai will mind if I stay in their compartment.“

I can physically feel her relief when Lilly smiles at me. „Thank you, Ikuno.“

„Well, chances are, I wouldn't have been able to sleep here either, with her fidgeting around all night. See you tomorrow.“ I open the door and step into the empty corridor, hoping she didn't hear the embarrassment in my voice.

I tiptoe along the corridor until I stand in front of the other compartment and knock. I hear rustling inside, and a few seconds later the door slides open.

Rin is standing there and stares at me vacantly. She turns her head. „It's only Ikuno.“

„I'm sorry I'm only me.” I try to sound annoyed, but fail to keep the grin from showing on my face. „Now, can I please come inside before Mr. Nomiya or one of the nurses comes along?“

Rin steps to the side, and I hurry into the compartment. Its three inhabitants look at me and the bed sheets I'm carrying with curiosity. „Did Lilly and Hanako throw you out?“

„Nah, I just figured staying here with you would be a lot more fun.“

Mai grins. „You're damn right about that. Now we just have to hope the twins don't freeze out Nanami, or it will really get tight in here.“

I drop my stuff on the empty bed and start arranging it. „If you ask me, those three are just perfect for each other."

„Don't say that. Nanami is not half as bad as those two conceited gits,“ Emi protests.

I give her a sour glance. „Why not? She's almost as bad as Hakamichi, always running to the teachers and complaining whenever someone breaks a rule.“

„It's not like that!“ We all turn to Mai in surprise. I've never heard her being so vehement about anything before. She blushes a little from all the attention and continues meekly. „It's just... She has a good reason for what she does.“

„And what might that be?“

Mai looks me in the eye with new determination. „I promised her not to tell anyone, okay?“

I decide to let it drop. It's not like Nanami ever caused any problems to me personally. I finish preparing my bed and slip inside, flipping the light switch before I settle in.

For a few seconds there is no sound except for the regular rumbling of the train. Then Mai's voice breaks the silence. „Say, Emi, you've been talking to that new boy, Kenta, during the drive to the station, haven't you?“

„Yup.“ I can practically hear a grin spreading over her face.

„What did you talk about?“

„Oh, nothing much,“ Emi replies nonchalantly. „He seemed lost and didn't know anyone, so I told him who was who in the group. I also asked him to join the track and field team, but he declined.“

„Hey, don't you go keeping all the new guys for yourself,“ I interrupt in mock annoyance. „You already got the last one. How about it, Mai? Interested?“

The embarrassed silence is answer enough. Before Mai is able to think of a reply Emi chimes in. „So I wasn't mistaken when I saw you two flirting at the platform.“

„We weren't flirting.“ Mai's protest is rather weak. „Did... Did he say anything else?“

„Well, he moved here two weeks ago with his mother.“ She hesitates for a moment, then continues. „He's at Yamaku because of Asthma. No idea how bad. Any more, you'd have to talk to Hisao. I tuned out of the conversation once they started talking about books.“

Time to let Mai off the hook... „Speaking of Hisao, how are the two of you doing?“

Now it's Emi's turn to be embarrassed. „Fine... I mean... Is it that obvious? We didn't advertise...“

„Oh come on, you'd have to be blind and deaf not to notice. So when did you start dating?“

„A week before the holidays.“

„And?“

„And what?“

„Don't play dumb Emi. You know damn well what I'm talking about. How far did you go?“

„Well, we... kissed.“

„Nothing more?“ I try to keep the disappointment from my voice.

„We're taking it slowly, okay?“ For a moment I think she's going to add something, but she stays silent.

„The problem is not in his pants, if that's what you think.“ Damn, that came out of the left field. Rin has been so quiet all the time that I thought she was already asleep.

For a few seconds you could hear a pin drop, then Mai starts giggling. „Well, Emi, that's one thing less you have to worry about.“
Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

Mirage_GSM wrote: „The problem is not in his pants, if that's what you think.“
Oh Rin.

I really like these light little slice-of-life scenes. I have to ask, though, what's up with the quotation marks?
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Those are due to open office. I didn't even notice that until SC pointed it out, because German quotation marks always look like this.
I recently switched to Word and now there are English quotation marks when I set the document language to english. I didn't bother to go through the whole text to replace them though. So the quotation marks should change three or four chapters from now.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I recently switched to Word
I'm SO sorry. Nobody should be subjected to that, ever. :(

:3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Don't blame yourself too hard. I didn't change because of the quotation marks.
Rather Calc was missing a few funtions I've grown rather fond of, so I changed to Excel.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

I'm really starting to enjoy this, Rin's comments will always make any story more interesting, plus its a good difference when the inner comments change from person to person, rather than keeping with a copy and pasted narrative.

Keep it up :mrgreen:
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

I'm really enjoying these. It's great how you get into each character's head.

Now some editorial comments. (You just knew I'd have some. :) )

In Ooki's tale, when he's dreaming of Rin getting fat: 'double, ten triple' should be 'double, then triple'.

Ikuno's tale needs a closing quote after the period here: 'sleep. I grab'

And Ikuno's tale needs a closing quote at the end here: 'perfect for each other.'

Keep up the good work!
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Meet Jun:

Day 2, 07:30
It's half past seven when I leave the lavatory. The train won't arrive in Sapporo for another two hours, but I got up a bit early so I could grab a quick smoke before the teachers rise.

Takumi and Kenta are talking quietly. „Good morning. I hope I didn't wake you two.”

Takumi turns his head in my general direction. „No, I didn't sleep very well with the train and all that. I've been awake for more than an hour. Must have dozed for a few minutes when you got in there. I'll get dressed and then we can get something to eat. The dining car should already be open.”

He swings his legs out of the bed, feels around for his toilet bag and disappears into the lavatory.

Well, an early breakfast is also an option. I take out my pack of cigarettes and move to the window.

„Uh... Jun, could you please...” Kenta fidgets around without actually finishing his request.

„Don't like cigarettes?”

„That too, but I also have asthma.”

„Bummer.” I put my cigarettes back into my pocket. „Well, I'll try to find me a nice place to smoke. Meet up in the dining car in ten?”

„We'll be there as soon as we're ready.” Right. I have no idea how long it will take Takumi to get ready.

I nod my assent and slip out of the compartment. The dining car is further up front, so I head to the back of the train. No one from our group should have any reason to be here. I open one of the windows a bit, take a cigarette from my pack and light it...

Ten minutes later I walk past our compartment. It's empty. So Takumi isn't a slowpoke after all. I continue towards the dining car where I find Kenta and Takumi sitting at a table together with Ooki. „Morning, Ooki, sleep well?”

Ooki looks up from his plate. „Hi Jun. Of course I did. Seven times.”

We've done this particular joke several times before, so both of us are keeping a straight face. Kenta however looks at Ooki worriedly. „Did you also have trouble sleeping in a moving train?”

Right. New kid. He doesn't know. Well, Ooki will...

„No, I'm a narcoleptic. My sleeping rhythm is crazier than the Mad Hatter. If I keel over, please make sure I don't drown in my cornflakes.”

Kenta is looking at me confusedly. I pat him on the shoulder. „Don't worry, it's food, he won't waste it.“

Takumi rises from his seat. „I'm going to get something to eat.”

„Right behind you.“ Despite saying that, I lead the way. Together with Kenta I help Takumi fill his plate. And we rejoin Ooki, who is by now sleeping peacefully propped against the window.

„Just let him sleep, He'll come around shortly.”

Kenta moves to sit down, when I interrupt him. „Do you mind if I take the window seat?”

Kenta steps to the side. „Not much of a view at the moment with all those clouds.”

„It's not the view. It's just that I don't like having people sit on my right side.“ I point to my ear. „I'm deaf on that one. My parents thought they'd spare their little baby the pain of a vaccination. Came down with mumps. I don't have any memories about it, but at least I've got something to remember it by.”

We sit down again and start to eat. A few minutes later Ooki wakes up again and continues to eat his breakfast as if nothing had happened.

„So what about the other guys? Sleeping in?”

„I guess. They didn't stir when I got up. I think Hisao is usually running with Emi every morning, so he'll probably savour sleeping in...”

He looks past my face. I turn around and see Emi entering the dining car, dragging a very groggy-looking Hisao behind her. „Well, at least Leon can sleep in.”

Emi greets us all cheerfully, and they sit down at the table next to ours.

Soon the rest of our group is starting to arrive, and Mr. Nomiya is taking the chance for an announcement. „As you all know the train will arrive in Sapporo at half past ten. There we will have two hours to explore the city before we board the bus to our destination.”

A whole two hours to explore Sapporo - probably less than that if you deduct the time we'll need to get off the train and board the bus. Well, it's going to be enough to get me a new pack of cigarettes...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

New Chapter:

Day 2, 10:45
We sit on a bench close to the brand new main station of Sapporo. Most of the others are lounging around close by. Only Jun has gone off somewhere, and the fat guy has left, probably to buy some more snacks.

I don't know how the teacher got the idiotic idea to plan an hour of sightseeing here. Nobody wants to drag all their luggage along for something like that, and it's just not worth it to find a locker. At least it's a last opportunity to stretch one's legs before we start on the last leg of our journey.

To be honest, I'd much rather have joined the Okinawa group. They went by airplane, and I could already be baking in the sun on the beach by now. But no, she had to go to some backwater place in Hokkaido. And why? Because she's such a big fan of Mr. Nomiya. Why? He doesn't even know sign!

Let's see... The whole Art Club has chosen to come here, and they'll probably spend all the time painting landscapes. What's worse, everyone who knows even a bit of sign is in the Art Club: Nanami, Leon,...

Well, I guess that leaves Jun, but his sign is atrocious. I guess I will have to tag along with them and be bored to death for a week. She is going to owe me big time for this.

There's movement to my left. I turn to catch the last of what she's been signing. ...on your mind?

I shake my head. Just noticed your whole club took this trip. I hope you won't spend all your time with them.

Hey, don't worry, Mr. Nomiya said there would be plenty of activities other than painting, and maybe you'd like painting if you only tried...

I think I'll pass. I can think of better ways to waste my time. Jun for example.

She grins. She knows I'm not serious. Damn, that's the downside of knowing each other too well. Come on, he can't even talk properly. She seems to think of something. Maybe you could persuade Nanami to skip some club activities. She hates painting almost as much as you do.

You're not serious. Why did she join the Art Club then?

Therapy. She told me yesterday when you were in the lavatory. She's in the Art Club to help train her motor skills.

I thought she was only naturally clumsy. You know what's wrong with her?

Apart from that and her hearing problem? No. She never talks about it to anyone as far as I know... Well, maybe she told Kitamiya. Those two've been really close recently.

I shrug. If she doesn't want to talk that's her problem. I almost jump as a shadow falls on me from behind and turn around.

Jun is standing behind us with a smug grin on his face. Who close?

There's that horrible excuse for sign language again. Maybe he thinks being deaf on only one ear means he only needs to do the gestures halfway as well. If you didn't get that, you should practice your sign more. Besides, didn't they tell you it is impolite to eavesdrop?

Jun watches my gestures intently and his grin becomes even more smug. Did not eavesdrop. Just watch.

How I'd like to wipe that grin right off his face, but I'd never stoop that low. Instead I make a shooing gesture, and Jun retreats towards his pals still laughing.

Are you still going to tell me you want to hang out with him? Somehow his smug grin has found its way onto her face.

Now don't you start as well! I'd rather date a guy from 3-2.

Oooh, that's low, even for your standards. She grins and this time it's a genuine one. I try to remain stern for a moment longer, but then I join in as well.

I simply can't stay mad at her for long. She's more a part of myself than just my sister. We'll always be there for each other. Always.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Another good chapter, bit short though, but then again I'm not writing them so I can't complain :mrgreen: . Just wondering though, the sisters in the last chapter, are they conjoined twins or are they just really close and reclusive, sorry if you mentioned it previously I just can't remember.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Conjoined? You mean Siamese twins? No, they are identical twins but they are at Yamaku for being deaf-mute and are otherwise normal and healthy. The Chapter is probably a bit short because Mizuki and Misaki are Characters I find a bit harder to write than the others.
Also, I don't really have a story to tell for those two at this point, but I wanted to give each character an introductory chapter at the beginning. Once that is done, I'll use the characters as needed by the story.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Time for the next chapter - a bit longer this time:

Day 2, 13:30
I can think of few things more boring than being cooped up in a bus for a long journey, but today none of this matters. That is because thus I have the opportunity to be close to her. Right now she is sitting in the seat in front of me, occasionally commenting on something her friends are talking about, but mostly keeping to herself, probably staring out the window.

I wish I could somehow get her to notice me, but I am aware how remote that possibility is. I have no idea what she thinks of me or even if she still remembers who I am, the time we first met...

I shiver as the nurse places the cold diaphragm of the stethoscope on my back. „Now, cough please, Takumi.“

I do as I am told and the nurse moves the stethoscope over my back, listening here and there, until he finally removes it, apparently satisfied. „I think your bronchitis is as good as gone. You can return to class tomorrow, but...“

He is interrupted by the door opening. „Hey, knock before you come in, I'm having a patient... Oh it's you.“

I turn towards the door, trying to get a clue as to who it is that just barged into the nurse's office. Instead I hear the sound of the door being closed, followed by a loud knocking sound. The nurse sighs. „Come in.“

The door opens again, and this time the mysterious visitor actually starts to talk. „Ms. Miyagi sent me to get you. Naomi's been having a seizure in the cafeteria, and she hit a table, two trays of food and Natsume.“ A pause. „Naomi did, not Ms. Miyagi.“

The nurse curses under his breath. „You should have told me... Never mind. I'll be there immediately. Takumi, will you be alright?“

I nod. „Of course, Mr. ...“

„Good.“ The last thing I hear of him are his retreating footsteps and the door being slammed shut.

I sit on the chair, trying to piece together what just happened. Then I start feeling around for my shirt. Damn, I handed it to the nurse when I undressed. Where did he put it?

I freeze. Something's not right. Somehow I've got the feeling I'm not alone in the room. „Hello?“

„Hello!“ I almost jump from my chair. It's the voice of the girl who just came in. Why didn't she leave with the nurse?

The room is silent again. And chilly. And I still can't find my shirt. „Excuse me, do you see my shirt anywhere?“

„Yes.“

I wait for more of a reaction, but none is forthcoming. „Could you please hand it to me?“

„No.“

That stops me dead in my tracks. „Why not?“

„Because I don't have any.“

My confusion is mounting. „I'm sorry, you don't have any shirts?“

„No, I don't have any hands.“

„Oh... I'm sorry.“

„Why? I'm not mad at you for having some.“

„No, I mean, I'm sorry for not noticing.“

„How could you? You're blind, aren't you?

I have nothing to reply to that. Instead I try another approach. „Could you please tell me where my shirt is? I don't know where the nurse put it.“

Instead of an answer I hear footsteps and then my shirt is placed in my hand. „I thought you said, you didn't have hands?“

„I did.“

„Then how did you pick up my shirt?“

„With my feet. How else?“

How else indeed... As I put on my shirt again, I hear her moving towards the door.“ Wait! What's your name?“

She stops. „Oh, I'm Rin.“ She pauses as if she were uncertain whether to ask for mine. „And you?“

„I'm Takumi. Nice to meet you.“ I pick up my cane that was leaning against the desk and rise. I try to find something else to say to her, but my mind comes up empty.

The silence between us begins to stretch uncomfortably, then I hear her turning around and heading for the door again. „Where are you going?“ I blurt out the question without thinking.

„To the art room. Club meeting started a while ago.“ With that she turns around a final time and leaves me standing alone in the nurse's office.

And that had been it. Since that day I haven't been able to get her out of my head. I joined the Art Club a week later to meet her again, and though her appearances there are a bit irregular, I have come to enjoy her company very much.

More than painting, I'm afraid. Of course I tried it, and Mr. Nomiya even encouraged me, but I know that it can't really be any good without me being able to see what I'm doing. I was happy when Mr. Nomiya suggested sculpting, and since then I've come to enjoy that quite a bit.

However, since that day in January I haven't talked to Rin more than a few words and never alone. That's why I hoped that such an opportunity would present itself on the class trip, but...

„Hey, Takumi, you sleeping?“ Jun's voice is dragging me from my memories.

I feel my face flushing and turn around to look in his general direction. „No, I was...“ ...thinking about Rin? Not really a smart thing to say right now. „Well, maybe a bit. The view is pretty boring.“

That gets a laugh from all of them. Good nobody is going to follow up on this.

„Man, if you're trying to beat me at my game,“ Ooki chuckles, „let me tell you that nobody's managed that yet.“

That draws another round of laughter, and I turn my attention to the others for a while.

You probably noticed that Takumi is the guy Rin mentions in "Things You Can Do"...

Sore wa himitsu desu.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

This was another good and its good to see Rin gettin a little love :mrgreen: . I'm surprised that this isn't getting as much attention as your other story but then again I cant talk for others tastes, I'm was just worried that you'd probably discontinue this due to lack of interest. You could do that if you wanted as there will always be more stories but it would still be a shame.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Even if I were to stop writing now, I still have a backlog of three and a half chapters, so you wouldn't notice right away.
I admit that I didn't write much these past two weeks, but that was due to a) holidays with limited computer access b) my coputer picking up a bad virus called Minecraft (sucks away the user's time) and c) some proofreading request for another VN translation project.
All three should be under control now, so I'll get back to writing a bit more.
Right now, I have the next 10-12 chapters roughly planned out.
Regarding the attention this story is getting... The chapters are short and many - I do not expect the readers to post after every one of them. (Of course I'm happy for every praise - and critique - I do get.)
Also, I am aware that the readership on these forums is limited to maybe two dozen people at most. I don't write these stories looking for fame ;-)

That said I do plan to discontinue writing this story (at least for a long time) when the full version of KS is released, because then I'll be busy with the translation. But I expect it will still be three or four months until then, so don't worry about it yet.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
moonpalace

Post by moonpalace »

Yeah, I hope you know I'm one of your fans since I reading this series.

It's a real delight for me to come each week and read latest installment. I love how your writing flows so smoothly, it's understated flavor is my favorite treat. If I were to describe your style and grasp of English and fiction, the previous sentence really sums up my appreciation. Seriously, whenever I come to check out your next chapter, I have an image in my mind of returning for food and I literally devour it.

Sorry for dishing out so many compliments (and using cheesy allusions) but that's about as succinctly as I can summarise my feelings.

btw I'm also really enjoying "these slice of life" episodes as I think someone put it. I laughed at the characters' observations and jokes you told, like the exchange with Ooki and Jun when they first met.

And you're going to translate the game when it's released? I can't think of a better person to take on the job. Will miss your stories though.