A Summer of Tales -A H&K Summer Series

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 8/22)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I think it's a bit unfair blaming Lilly's lack of chess skill on her inability to play offensively and to plan ahead.
She's always playing at a huge handicap since she has to memorize all the pieces' positions in addition to all the planning she might be doing.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I think it's a bit unfair blaming Lilly's lack of chess skill on her inability to play offensively and to plan ahead.
She's always playing at a huge handicap since she has to memorize all the pieces' positions in addition to all the planning she might be doing.
Fair points, though I do wonder how much Hanako is thinking about the disability related implications of their play. She might be so used to it that such an issue never occurred to her.

Or they just don't use the rule where you can only touch pieces if you plan to move them, which is possible.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oh, I don't assume they use the rule - that would handicap her even more.

But try to imagine keeping track of a chess game EVEN IF you're allowed to touch the pieces whenever you want. You can only ever "see" at most two or three pieces at a time. For a game like chess where every piece anywhere on the board can have huge implications that is a great disadvantage.

And I think by that time Hanako should have a pretty good idea of how her disability impacts Lilly.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 8/29)

Post by Hoitash »

Blasted Tunnelers. Screw it, I declare Exterminatus on this worthless lump of rocks.

Ilya, launch the nukes! The God-Emperor will Judge his own!

Previous Chapter

A Protector’s Tale

In the early afternoon on Saturday we were getting ready to head into town. Our home’s weekend occupants would head out first and meet the others along the way as they started to head out as well. Before we left for the day, I had something I had to do.

Even though the grave, located in a patch of trees and shrubs that served as a land boundary of sorts, lacked any stone or cross, the cluster of wildflowers served as good a marker as any. Standing over the plants turning the unmarked corpse into their food, I sighed and reached into the pocket of my jacket.

“…I don’t have much to say, really,” I muttered, rubbing the back of my neck with my free hand as I more or less babbled on, “I can’t imagine the hell you went through, and I can’t fathom why you kept on living –even the fact you lived so long rubs me the wrong way. Maybe part of you liked the power of the beast? Maybe you were so deluded you refused to acknowledge the curse inside you, or the fact you lived so long? Did you think you were the last loyal White, standing guard for a rebirth of the Empire?”

The grave remained silent. Probably for the best.

Sighing at my own foolishness, I pulled out the flask in my jacket pocket. Carefully unscrewing the lid, I poured a shot onto the ground and said, “Do svidaniya, I guess. See you next summer.”

I screwed the cap back onto the flask and returned it to my pocket. Since the ground had nothing to say, I turned on my heel back toward the house, only to see Akira making her way toward me.

When we caught each other’s eye we both stopped in our tracks, Akira looking like a teenager skipping out on a date with a guy her father didn’t approve of, and me, well, I’m not sure what I looked like. Tired, I imagined. Once she recovered, Akira glanced at the patch of wildflowers, then to me, then shrugged and sauntered over as if our meeting was as natural as the grave itself.

I raised an eyebrow at her, “Kinda surprised you came by.”

Akira shrugged and flashed a tight grin, “Couldn’t let you get all moral on me by showing up and me not, after all. I was there too, you know.”

I nodded, “I know, and have the documents from the publishing deal to prove it.”

Akira sighed, “I can’t believe I agreed to that.”

“Well you did. So,” I gestured toward the flowers, “Have anything you wanna say?”

Akira shook her head, “Nope. I just came by… more for your sake than his, I imagine.”

I raised an eyebrow, “I don’t quite follow?”

Akira sighed and scratched her cheek, her eyes anywhere but me or the grave as she replied, “You’re a good man, is all I’m sayin’.”

I shrugged in response, “I’m alright.”

Akira snorted and rolled her eyes, “You Japanese are too modest.”

I quirked an eyebrow at the blonde, “When did you go full Scot?”

Akira blinked at me, perhaps surprised at what she had said herself. Shrugging and turning toward the home, she remarked, “When my kids were born, I guess,” glancing behind her, she grinned at me and asked, “You got any vodka left in that flask you brought?”

“…How’d you know it was vodka?”

Akira started walking back toward the summer home. I trotted for a few steps until I was beside her. She had a long stride but I kept up just fine, thanks to the years of strengthening my heart. Even if I occasionally did things that might lead me to an early grave, like, say, fight a werewolf.

Glancing at me as I joined her, Akira smirked and answered my earlier question, “Like I said: you’re a good man.”

I shrugged and reached for the flask, “I’m alright. If I were good I’d have more sense not to get myself into trouble.”

“Trouble finds you, no matter where you go,” Akira remarked, “One of my uncles said that once.”

“There is no escape from Chaos,” I recited, “it Marks us all.”

Akira raised an eyebrow at me for the uncounted time. I grinned and handed her my flask. Akira accepted it, took a sip, and passed it back. I took a small sip myself before screwing the lid back in place and returning it to my pocket.

Picking up on what she had mentioned earlier, I decided to lighten the mood somewhat by asking, “How are things in Scotland? Sometimes I worry how Chise and Carry handle the culture shock.”

Akira shrugged, “Scotland’s fine, and the girls seem to have gotten the hang of it.”

“Their accent isn’t as bad as it used to be,” I remarked.

“Them learning English first was a bit weird,” Akira admitted, smirking lightly as she added, “but it all worked out.”

“Life… finds a way,” I declared.

Akira snorted, “Sure does….”

Akira looked off to the wheat field, her red eyed clouded over with thought.

“Sen for your thoughts?” I asked, “Or a penny, perhaps?”

Akira stopped walking, and I did the same. Sighing, her eyes stayed on the field, her blonde hair swishing lightly in the summer breeze as her garnet eyes shimmered with… remorse? Regret? I couldn’t say for sure.

In a voice barely audible over the breeze, as if hoping the wind would cast away her words before I could hear them, she said, “Sometimes… I can’t help but wonder how things would’ve turned out if I had stayed. Daichi went with me to Scotland, sure, and the twins don’t seem to mind the back and forth, and my Dad isn’t as big an ass as he could be, but…” whirling around to face me, her eyes suddenly blazing, Akira stopped whispering and started growling, “Lilly, Lilly, the good little girl who received her First Communion a year before I did and never disobeyed her parents, she’s the one who gets the balls to stay? How fucked up is that?!”

Having completed her diatribe, Akira fought to catch her breath while glaring at me, as if I had the answers to her family problems from over a decade ago. I didn’t of course, but I did have my own problems from back then to relate to.

Since she still seemed wound up and liable to snap if I said the wrong thing, I gently placed a hand on her shoulder. Her breath restored, Akira blinked and tilted her head at me, an oddly cute gesture that I made a mental note never to remark upon.

“I’ve never totally understood your family’s dynamics,” I admitted, “but I do know something about getting sent somewhere you weren’t willing to accept at first. When I first went to Yamaku, I sometimes caught myself thinking how things woulda gone if I had somehow managed to stay at my old school,” I lowered my hand from her shoulder and continued, “Eventually I realized how pointless that thinking was. Why worry about what might have happened, when it distracts from the reality you have? I know it sounds weird for a scientist to ignore possible vectors, but in my experience humans are outside logic anyway.”

The blonde blinked at me a few times, mentally mulling over my reply. After what seemed a full, slow, breezy minute, Akira grinned and patted my head, ruffling my already unruly hair into a frazzled mess.

“Thanks,” she said. Lowering her hand, she added, “You are a good man, Hisao. I knew that since the first time I met you.”

Guess it paid to be an old fashioned gentleman. Trying to fiddle my hair back into place with my hand, I felt a slight flush of embarrassment that I tried to defuse by muttering, “I’m alright.”

Akira chuckled and started walking back to the house. Giving up on my hair to let it ruffle in the breeze like the wheat, I followed.

+++
Next Chapter

I got real there for a minute. Sorry –nuking the Divide made me a bit temperamental.

“Do svidaniya” means “Goodbye” in Russian, but I imagine most people already knew that.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 9/05)

Post by Hoitash »

So... solidarity forever, I guess?

Eh, whatever. At least I have nukes.

Previous Chapter

A Child’s Tale

Hi! It’s Refia again! It’s Saturday now and we’re going into the town near the summer homes for the day!

(Why is her report nothing but us walking?)

(Refia is Refia. And would you please use a different ink color? It’s starting to hurt my eyes.)

(:P)

Anyway, we were all walking to town because taking all the cars would be annoying and it wasn’t that far into town anyway. I was riding on Daddy’s back, which was fun even though I couldn’t do it very often. Karen was getting to ride Hee-neesan that day, but she still didn’t wear her shoes, keeping them tied to her belt by their laces. Both of us stuck to the middle of the pack. All four of us, I meant.

Aunt Lilly, Mommy, and Thomas and Hanaye trailed behind, while Uncle Kenji, who was carrying Hisato, and Aunt Miya –her camera clicking away as we walked- led the way. Aunty Akira and Uncle Daichi were in front of us, behind Uncle Kenji and Aunt Miya, and Nii-chan was right behind the four of us. Nee-chan and Chise and Carry flittered back and forth.

Placing my head by Daddy’s ear, I asked, “Are you okay Daddy?”

Daddy smiled at me, “I’m okay for now,” he glanced to his right, “How’re you, Soon-hee?”

“I’m fine,” Hee-neesan replied, “Karen’s alright too, right?”

Karen nodded and tucked her head behind Hee-neesan’s, “Thank you for the ride.”

Hee-neesan graced us all with one of her beautiful smiles, “You’re welcome. The Hee-neesan Piggyback Express is happy to serve in times of need.”

(Nii-chan, you’re adding to my writing again.)

(I’m embellishing. It’s a writing trick I learned from Uncle Kenji.)

“Are we there yet?” Hisato asked.

Every adult and Hee-neesan replied, “We get there when we get there.”

A group of birds started chirping and flew up from one of the trees, and Hee-neesan stopped walking.

“You okay?” Daddy asked.

Hee-neesan nodded and started walking again, “I’m fine,” smirking lightly, she added, “just need to mind the sharp rocks.”

I watched the birds leave for a while, before I remembered something I had been thinking about before we left.

“Can we get ice cream?” I asked.

Daddy smirked and glanced at Hee-neesan, who seemed to perk up at the mention of food. Hee-neesan really likes food, and why not? Food is delicious!

“I don’t see why not,” Daddy replied, “I’ll need to rest after the walk anyway. That sound good with everyone?”

“Works for me,” Aunty Akira replied.

“Sounds like a plan,” Uncle Kenji declared.

“I have no objection,” Aunt Lilly declared.

“Sounds good,” Uncle Daichi and Uncle George added.

“Ice cream!” Hanaye cheered.

With no objections, the plan was set, and I started watching the road so I’d know when we were close to the town. A few moments later, I think, something appeared in the corner of my vision, so I looked down at it. Nee-chan had wandered over to our section of the group.

“Can we visit the shops, too?” she asked, “even though the clothes are way outta style they’re also really cheap, and you can usually haggle for a bundled discount.”

From behind us I heard Nii-chan sigh and ask, “Do you even wear all those clothes you buy?”

Nee-chan spun in place and stuck out her tongue while walking backwards. It looked pretty impressive, actually. I wondered for a moment if I could do something that coordinated, but then Daddy sighed and glanced at me so I focused on him.

Smiling at me, he said, “You’re a good girl, Refia.”

I grinned and nuzzled Daddy’s neck, “I try my best!”

“Hey!” Nee-chan wheeled back around to pout at Daddy, “I’m a good girl, too! It’s Nii-chan who keeps teasing me!”

“I seem to recall modesty being an important hallmark of a good child,” Nii-chan remarked.

“You’re all very good children,” Mommy called from the back, “and if you want ice cream, you’ll stay good children.”

“Yes Mom,” Nii-chan and Nee-chan said.

“I’ll do my best!” I chirped.

(You are such a Daddy’s girl.)

(Says the one who still sits in his lap in his office when you think no one else is around.)

(How do you know about that?!)

(I’m a wizard.)

(Cool!)

(…That was a joke, Refia.)

(Aww)

Daddy chuckled and patted Nee-chan’s head, “Be nice to your brother.”

Nee-chan sighed, “Yes, Dad.”

“She just doesn’t know what to do with herself when she’s off Refia duty,” Nii-chan remarked.

Nee-chan rolled her eyes as she eased towards the back of the group. As she did so, Chise and Carry walked forward, flanking Daddy and smiling at him.

Hi Uncle Hisao,” they said together.

“I think I saw this movie,” Uncle George remarked.

Aunty Akira sighed and rubbed her temple, “Really need to check those controls when we get home. It was Great Uncle Al, I just know it.”

Glancing at each twin, Daddy raised an eyebrow and asked, “Something on your minds?”

The two girls shook their head, “Not really..”

“…Okay then. How’s school going?”

Good,” they replied.

“…Glad to hear it.”
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 9/05)

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

Hearing a conversation in two languages was kinda weird, but I was sorta used to it, and the change in language helped me pay attention better.

The two girls moved ahead to join Aunty Akira. I started looking at the trees because their branches rustled in the breeze. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nii-chan moving closer to Hee-neesan.

(Don’t you dare write anything Satomi.)

(I haven’t written anything! I’m innocent this time!)

(Is this a report or an example of pre-internet social media?)

(Hi Mommy! Could I do that as my project?)

(Perhaps you should get back on topic before you use all the space for notes, not that I’m any better.)

(Okay Mommy!)

I watched Hee-neesan and Karen watch Nii-chan walking next to them. Nii-chan looked kinda flustered for some reason.

(Not. A. Word.)

“You two okay?” he asked.

Karen nodded and hid her head behind Hee-neesan’s. Then a bird flew overhead and I got distracted looking at it. It was a pretty bird that flew into a tree, so I lost track of where it went and refocused on the group.

When I went to look behind me again Hee-neesan was saying, “I’m fine. You okay Karen?”

Karen nodded into Hee-neesan’s shoulder, and a little bit later I felt Daddy stop. Looking around me, I noticed he had stopped, which explained why it felt like he had. Focusing on him, he looked sweaty and a bit weary, which was bad.

“Need me to hop off, Daddy?”

Daddy nodded at me, putting on a brave face. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mommy wander toward us, but Daddy waved his hand and she stopped. Nii-chan and Nee-chan both stepped closer to Daddy.

“I’m alright,” he said, “Just winded.”

I gave Daddy a careful hug, “Thanks for taking me this far, Daddy.”

Daddy smiled and gently tapped my forehead with his, “You’re very welcome.”

By then the rest of the group had stopped, most of them focusing on Daddy, though Aunt Lilly and Thomas were having a hushed conversation with Uncle George, maybe to get them up to speed on what happened I guess.

Daddy carefully kneeled down so I could hop off. Uncle Kenji stood in front of him while Nii-chan and Nee-chan stood at his sides, with Mommy right behind him despite his earlier hand wave. Daddy straightened up, closed his eyes, inhaled, exhaled, and opened his eyes.

With a light sigh, Daddy smiled and turned around to face Mommy, “I’m fine. Like I said, just a bit winded.”

Mommy sighed and smiled in relief, while Nee-chan smirked and glanced at me.

“Guess Refia’s getting a bit big to carry.”

Nii-chan shrugged, “You let him carry you until you were eight.”

Nee-chan glared at our brother but said nothing.

(Remarkable restrain on your part, actually.)

(:P)

“I think I can handle a few more years,” Daddy remarked. Stepping over to me, he grinned and patted my head, making me giggle.

“You ready to keep going?” Uncle Kenji asked.

“Ooh!” Aunt Miya chirped, “Photo first! I can take a quick shot now with everyone in it!”

“Except you,” Aunt Lilly stated.

Kenji smirked and put a hand on his wife’s shoulder, “We’ll get someone in town to take it for us.”

“Speaking of,” Nee-chan asked, “How much farther is it? I kinda lost track.”

“Not much further,” Daddy said, “We’re almost there.”

“Yay!” I chirped, and started walking.

Uncle Kenji smirked and lowered Hisato, who wandered next to me. Hisato never talked much, but he paid attention to everything around him, so I liked to play with him and be around him when I could.

With everything settled because Daddy was okay because he was great like that, we resumed the trek to town. Nee-chan and Nii-chan took to walking near me and Hisato, while Uncle Kenji and Mommy stayed close to Daddy, who looked fine.

Nee-chan glanced at me, looking thoughtful, maybe? I got distracted by a butterfly and lost track of things for a bit until she said something.

“You don’t remember,” she remarked, “but when you were little Nii-chan would give you piggy-back rides, too.”

I looked over at Nii-chan, who shrugged and coughed into his hand.

“You played with her when you were younger, too, you know.”

“I know,” she said, “I just don’t want her to think her big brother and sister spend all their time fighting. We occasionally have fun together.”

I beamed at my brother and sister. Nee-chan worried a lot about fitting in but was nice like Mommy most of the time, and Nii-chan was good at helping people feel better when they were upset like Daddy. He was also good at math.

(Yes, I said something nice about you.)

(And I appreciate it.)

(Yay! Nii-chan and Nee-chan are getting along!)

We continued walking along the side of the road, the swaying tree branches and flittering birds giving me plenty of the things to look at. It’s hard for me to focus sometimes, so it’s always nice when lots of things are around for me to look at. Otherwise I end up just staring into space and thinking, and it’s hard to organize my thoughts so I end up getting upset that it’s hard to think and I was about ask if we were at the town yet but I saw the edge of town down the road so I didn’t.

(Wow. It is like talking to Rin.)

(Hi Mommy!)

“Yay!” I cheered, throwing my hands into the air, “We made it!”

“We have?” Aunt Lilly asked, “Wonderful.”

I saw some movement and looked to see Chise and Carry, standing by Nee-chan, grin at each other and flank Hee-neesan.

Come to the clothing shop with us and Satomi!” they said, “C’mon –come play with us!

Uncle George snapped his fingers, “Yep, definitely seen this movie.”

Uncle Daichi nodded. He didn’t talk much.

Aunty Akira sighed, “I am going to take Lilly’s claymore and use it on Great Uncle Al.”

“I’m rather fond of Great Uncle Al,” Aunt Lilly remarked, “so please be gentle with him.”

“How about we get ice cream before plotting relative’s murders and/or maiming?” Uncle George asked.

“Yay!” I cheered again, “Ice cream! Let’s go!”

“Ice cream!” Karen chirped.

With that, we all went for ice cream. I got strawberry in a waffle cone, Nee-chan got-

(I think we can spare them the list.)

(If you say so, Nii-chan.)

(I got chocolate. So did Mom.)

(Duly noted.)

+++
Next Chapter

Sorry Mirage. I could not Resist :)

Well, I guess I could have, but I chose not to. I also chose to write another group scene even though I’m absolute pants at them, to borrow a British colloquialism.

So clearly I’m just a masochist.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 9/12)

Post by Hoitash »

I have created a wasteland, and called it peace.

I have rained fire upon the scorched earth of the Old World.

I have sundered the fragile remains of civilization itself.

I reign over the shattered remains of a broken world.

Ilya! We’re going to Arizona! It’s time to build an Empire. Legio Patria Nostra!

Previous Chapter

A Shopper’s Tale

I can never quite tell how I feel about being Satomi’s fashion doll. Besides my appearance being utterly wrong for the job, putting myself on display like that is not something I enjoy.

That said, Satomi clearly had fun, and like her mother, seemed to have an intuitive sense on how to read people. She worked within my own insecurities while still getting to play, and, in the end, I didn’t see anyone else eager for the role. If the kids had fun and I stayed sane, then it was all good.

So, once we’d recovered from the walk to town, eaten some ice cream, and planned the day, we split up to do our own things. Naturally Satomi, Chise, and Carry took this chance to drag me to the only clothing store of note in the town.

The store reminded me of the smaller shops in Manila, in terms of more subtle styles and practical wear. It didn’t have much variety, but that didn’t seem to bother Satomi, who sent the twins on a quick outfit hunt with a whispered conversation, leaving the two of us standing by the lone changing room.

I glanced at Satomi and raised an eyebrow, “What sort of clothes did you have in mind?”

Satomi smiled at me, “I was thinking something that would work with your tastes.”

“What tastes?” I asked.

My “taste” in clothes started with “denim” and ended with “blue.” Although I didn’t mind the green of Yamaku’s uniform. Blue just happened to be my favorite color. Not sure why, honestly.

With those highly detailed and avant garde preferences in mind, the twins eventually returned with a small stack of clothes, most of which looked like denim. Each stack also had a hat atop it.

“…I’m not sure about hats,” I said.

“It’ll go well with your sunglasses,” Satomi declared, “but we’ll try it with and without to be sure.”

I nodded and stepped into the changing room. Once I had shoved on the first outfit I spent a moment examining myself in the mirror.

…This doesn’t look too bad, actually. And I can afford it.

With that thought in mind, I stepped out of the changing room to the waiting critics.

Satomi put a finger to her chin in thought, “Hmm….”

Chise and Carry tilted their heads to the left, then to the right. Chise –I think it was her, anyway- turned to her twin and remarked, “She kinda looks like Aunt Hana.

The first outfit I donned consisted of blue jeans, a denim jacket over my usual blue shirt, and a simple dark blue flatcap.

Carry nodded, “Yup.

Is that bad?” I asked.

Satomi lowered her hand and shook her head, “Not at all. You and Mom may not have similar builds, but your styles are the same in some aspects.”

Tomboy?” Chise –I thought- remarked.

Satomi grimaced and glanced to the side, “…I wasn’t gonna say it, but yeah,” turning her attention back to me, she tilted her head and added, “I’m not sure about the hat.”

The twins nodded, “No contrast of color.”

“Right,” Satomi agreed, “Mom can pull it off because of her hair. Could you take off the hat for a moment?”

I took off the hat. The twins did their metronome impression again, then looked to Satomi, who scrunched up in thought, which seemed an oddly serious expression for a ten year old.

“…I think that works. What do you think, Hee-neesan?”

“Well… I don’t dislike it,” I hedged, “and I can afford it easily enough. I’m not sure I have the height to pull it off, though.”

“You’ll be fine,” the twins said, “now try the other one.”

Satomi rolled her eyes and smirked at the twins, “May as well. It might help you make up your mind.”

I nodded and returned to the changing room.

The other outfit had a more outdoorsy look to it –baggy pants and a simple green shirt with a short brimmed summer hat. It wasn’t something I’d pick out for myself, but then again I almost never bought clothes in the first place. I prefer to spend my meager stipend on important things like books and snacks. And more snacks.

When I stepped out of the changing room again, the twins repeated their head tilting, with Satomi joining in this time.

I raised an eyebrow at the three, “Do I look weird?”

“It’s not that,” Satomi replied, “It’s just….”

It’s different from your normal look,” the twins stated.

I raised an eyebrow at the two brunettes, “How do you two do that?”

“Do what?” Carry –I thought- asked at the same time the other one asked the same thing in English.

It’s like a real-life DDOS attack.

Focusing on Satomi, I asked, “So it doesn’t look good on me, Satomi?”

“…I don’t know, honestly,” she replied, “what do you think?”

While the twins pouted at being ignored, I mulled the thought over. It was definitely not my normal look, especially since I tended to avoid the outdoors as much as possible. To give it a try, I took off the hat.

“How about now?”

The twins forwent the metronome routine and just shrugged, “Maybe.”

Satomi sighed, “I’m not sure about the outdoor look, I mean you have the tone for it, but....”

“Maybe lighter colored pants?” I suggested.

Giving advice already are we?

Well, fashion preferences or not, they were still only ten.

Satomi brightened, “Ooh, that could work.”

One of the twins reached behind them to a waiting pile of clothes on a chair and held out a pair of khaki pants. Or I guess butternut, since they were Scottish.

I ducked back into the changing room, donned the new pants, and returned outside.

The three girls smiled and nodded.

“That works.”

“Okay,” I said, “I’ll take the jacket and this outfit –I have enough blue jeans for now. You guys want to pick anything out?”

The twins shook their heads, “We’re good.”

Satomi nodded in agreement, though her eyes glanced to the abandoned summer hat. I smirked and picked it up.

“Want it?”

Satomi blinked at me, “Umm… well, I don’t normally do the hat thing, either, but I thought it’d look cute, and maybe I’d look like less of a tomboy if I wore a hat instead of a ponytail.”

“Well, how ‘bout I buy it for you? As thanks for helping me pick some new clothes?”

Satomi smiled, “Thanks.”

I smirked and plopped the hat on her head, “Although I don’t see anything wrong with being a tomboy, myself.”

Not that I had much chance here in the first place.

After I put back on my clothes and gathered my prospective purchases, we got in line to haggle over prices. While we waited I felt my phone vibrate, so I pulled it out to see who it was.

Aunt Akira, who had gotten my number before we separated, had sent a text:

Hey Hee-chan,

Another one.

How are the twins behaving?

I smirked, shuffled forward in line, and tapped out a quick reply:

They’re fine. They’ve been very helpful.

Good to hear. We’re up the road a block so we can regroup.

We’re on our way.

Chise –maybe- turned toward me, “That Mom?”

I nodded, “They’re up the road a block. She wants us to regroup when we leave the shop.”

Carry –I think- turned around and the two said, “Okay.”

“Gotcha,” Satomi added.

After we checked out I fished my sunglasses out of my pocket and shoved them on my face. When we stepped outside Satomi scanned the road before bolting off in the direction I had mentioned earlier. The twins dashed after her, and, after confirming the others –or at least Aunt Akira- were waiting up the road, I followed, Aunt Akira herself waving to us as we approached.

+++
Next Chapter

So that was a chapter entirely about four girls picking out clothes.

I remain unrepentant. And intoxicated. And my ear won't stop ringing, but that's a different problem.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 9/19)

Post by Hoitash »

As the Wizard and his apprentice traversed the twice shattered ruins of the Divide, he thought he saw the flittering of movement in the distance. Too slow to be a Tunneler, too small to be a Deathclaw, and two stealthy to be a Marked Man. Two things became obvious to the Wizard at that point: one, he was being followed. Two, this was the second to last chapter.

Previous Chapter

A Gazer’s Tale

Hisao once explained his adoration of the stars to me. It was a very involved explanation that encompassed a lot of emotions –nostalgia for his grandfather, the chemistry involved in the star’s existence, and the math in charting and observing their progress and constellations. The whole thing was a bit overwhelming, but I didn’t mind. I liked the stars, too, but for a much simpler reason.

They were pretty.

I stood on the porch, leaning against a corner column as I looked up at the night sky. For whatever reason I was having trouble sleeping, and decided not to force it and risk a nightmare. Everyone else slept soundly –the day’s adventure in town proving adequate exhaustion for the children and grownup children alike.

Except me, apparently. Maybe I was still wound up from the trip to town, or nervous about the return trip home. I thought I was alone in my plight, but the sound of the door opening behind me dissuaded that notion. I turned toward the door and watched as Miya stepped onto the porch. She had a camera hanging from her neck with an elongated lens, but otherwise looked like she had rolled out of bed onto the porch. Her hair, normally in a ponytail, clung to her barely buttoned shirt in a matted mess, her pajama pants clinging desperately to her hips as she staggered toward me.

Spotting me, Miya grinned and closed the door, “Couldn’t sleep?”

I smiled despite my blush at her unkempt appearance and nodded, “You?”

“Kenji mumbles in his sleep sometimes,” she replied, “He was rambling on about xenomorphs and Agatha Clay.”

I smirked and looked out at the road, “He certainly has an active mind.”

Miya nodded walked up next to me. Raising her camera, she started scanning the land with its lens.

“Night vision?” I asked.

Miya nodded the effort seeming to liven her up a bit, “The quality is shit but they look pretty cool. Let’s see…”

After slowly scanning the trees and road, Miya pivoted toward me and snapped a photo. Once I recovered from the sneak attack I turned back to the stars. I saw Miya lower her camera from the corner of my eye.

Sighing lightly, she smiled up at the stars and said, “I’m glad we did this, even on the heels of Manila.”

I nodded, “It was the only time off work Akira could get for a while.”

Miya smirked, “Good thing we’ve all gotten used to traveling and can afford it. Ugh,” she frowned suddenly, “I got a shoot in California next week to get to.”

I raised an eyebrow at her, “Again?”

Miya sighed and nodded, “One of the resort chains I contract with bought a place in Little Akihabara. They’re completely remodeling it and want me to do the photos for the flyers, so I need to be on the ground there and in Akihabara proper on the way… better get George some souvenirs while I’m there.”

“At least you're busy,” I said, “my latest book got delayed to make way for a different series and the translation for the English release of my last book is months behind schedule because of in-house shuffling.”

Miya sighed and gave me a sympathetic smile, “Maybe if we spent more time on work and less on travel things would go smoother, huh?”

I shrugged, “I was never one for the high paced salaryman lifestyle.”

Miya snorted, “You don’t say.”

I chuckled and looked out at the open darkness beyond the porch. All that openness must’ve been troubling for Soon-hee, but she handled it well. I said as much to Miya, who smiled and nodded, her eyes back on the stars.

“She’s a very ‘go with the flow’ sort,” Miya said. Frowning lightly, she remarked, “A little too much so I think, but all things considering….”

“Submissiveness is as ingrained in her as listening for random sounds and apologizing if she thinks she’s screwed up,” I said, “those are hard habits to break.”

Miya nodded, “What she went through takes a lot of grit and guts to handle. That she came out of it as well as she did, well,” Miya looked down at me, her eyes oddly intense, “I can see why she fits in so well.”

I suppressed a swallow and looked up at the sky. Miya was right, and her blunt and oddly serious remark caught me off balance. Trying to think of something topical but not directly related to the current subject, I managed to blurt, “Th-the kids like her, too, and she obviously cares about you and Kenji very much.”

Miya smiled, her seriousness gone with the same speed it arrived, “Yeah. I was a little blown when Kenji told me about her, but I couldn’t very well sit by and do nothing. And…”

I tilted my head at her –topic changes with Miya could happen almost as often as with Refia, “And?”

Miya grimaced, glanced at the door, and said, “Well, Kenji wasn’t too keen on having kids, but Hisato kinda just happened, and after that Kenji put his foot down. I wanted a daughter to bake with, like my grandma did with me, but…” Miya sighed, “Kenji’s family has… medical history, and he really doesn’t wanna risk inflicting that on his children,” smiling suddenly, Miya looked back to me and said, “It’s pretty selfish of me, but I’m glad I managed to have a daughter.”

Miya didn’t mince words or hide her feelings. It gave her a ditzy air and could be overwhelming, but it had its merits as well. She and Kenji were similar that way.

“I understand, in a way,” I said, “Hisao and I talked long and hard about kids. Giving birth wasn’t easy for me –Refia was almost a C-Section- and there was the concern if they’d inherit Hisao’s condition. But Akio just sort of happened-”

Miya smirked, “When the box says 99.9%, they mean it.”

I returned her smirk and nod, “That was almost a disaster in its own right. But it all managed to work out, thankfully.”

Miya nodded and looked out towards the sky, “Life… finds a way.”

I tilted my head at her, “Have you been joining the guy’s movie nights?”

Miya smirked, but whatever reply she opened her mouth to verbalize formed into a yawn.

Shaking her head slightly, Miya turned toward the door and said, “Well, hopefully Kenji’s saved the world from the Illuminati by now so I can get some sleep. You might wanna turn in too. You got a long ride ahead of you, after all.”

She had a point, so I smiled, nodded, and followed Miya back inside.

+++
Next Chapter

I enjoyed that.

Next chapter is the last one, where I wrap up this Whatever the Heck this Is, and I get to work on the Halloween Specials.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Two small things:
but for a much simply reason.
simpler
“At least your busy,..."
you're

Also: Yay, Halloween specials! 8)

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Two small things:
Huh, how did that happen. Oh yeah, it's me :).

Also: Yay, Halloween specials! 8)
Indeed. Not my usual kind, but I am planning two Specials. Hmm, wonder what that could mean....
Hoitash

Re: A Summer of Tales (Updated 9/26)

Post by Hoitash »

And so the Wandering Wizard Writer left the Divide, a desolate, scorched land housing only ghosts and monsters of the Old World. None of the denizens of this broken realm disturbed him as he left. Still, the Wizard could not shake the feeling of being watched. Before departing the Divide, in a low outcropping on the cliff wall partially sheltered from the savage winds, hung an Old World flag. Below the flag, emblazoned with white paint, stood a simple question:

Who are you, that do not know your history?

Smiling, the Wizard leveled his minigun, and, with the last of his ammunition, etched his reply into the rock wall:

History is written by the victors.

Previous Chapter

The Father’s Tale

I shut the trunk of the car and looked around.

The summer home had been scoured for belongings by all four adults and Soon-hee, who seemed to have a knack for finding things that had wandered off into random nooks and crannies. She had also taken on the onerous task of helping to clean out the fridge and pantry of any perishable foods. Kid was too skinny anyway.

Lilly and the others had cleared out a bit earlier, because Akira and Daichi had a plane to catch and George and Lilly had classes to prepare for. I did, too, for that matter. They had left in a rush that no doubt wore on Lilly, but she had the whole trip home to sleep.

It was weird not seeing them off in the morning, but we all had a long trip ahead of us, a lot of work waiting for us on Monday, and a small herd of children to deal with.

I glanced at Miya’s car and saw her close her trunk as well. Kenji had one hand holding Hisato’s and the other a small car bag, while Soon-hee said goodbye to Satomi and Refia. Refia had had a small fit when Karen left without being able to say goodbye, but Akio and Satomi managed to calm her down, and now she was chatting with Soon-hee in broken Korean, while Satomi kept an arm on her sister’s shoulder so she wouldn’t wander. Akio, who had been helping me pack the trunk, promptly walked over to talk to Soon-hee, walking a bit stiffly as he tried to ignore Satomi’s stifled snickering.

“Satomi,” I called.

The girl started slightly and called back, “What is it, Father?”

Repressing my own snicker of amusement at my daughter’s hackneyed play at innocence, I replied, “That’s gonna be you in three years, you know.”

Eight million gods help me.

Satomi blanched, earning an amused smirk from her brother.

I grinned and glanced over to the garage, where Hanako was getting ready to ride. Tucking her hair in and putting on her helmet –but keeping the visor up- she walked over to me, her bike waiting patiently behind her.

I grinned at my approaching wife, “Ready?”

Hanako smiled and nodded, “You?”

I returned the nod, “We’re good. Drive safe, and have fun.”

Hana nodded, flushed a little, and, after glancing to either side of us, gently kissed the tip of my nose. Pulling back quickly, she headed back over to the motorcycle, giving me a chance to appreciate the other view of her riding outfit.

The kids, noticing Hanako heading back to the bike, promptly stampeded over to her to see her off. Hanako exchanged momentary farewells with each.

“See you in a bit, Mom,” Satomi said.

Hanako smiled and gently hugged our oldest daughter, “Be nice to your brother, okay?”

Satomi coughed and stiffly returned the hug, “I will if he’s nice to me.”

Akio sighed and gave a wave, “Have a fun ride, Mom.”

Hanako smirked, and, once Satomi pulled away, grabbed Akio in a hug as well.

“Don’t take Satomi’s ribbing so seriously,” she said, “She loves you and relies on you, even if she’ll never say it.”

“I’ve said it before,” Satomi muttered, “I think.”

Akio and Hanako smirked and pulled away, just in time for Refia to jump at Hanako and hug her leg.

“Bye Mommy!” Refia chirped

Hanako picked Refia up for a proper hug, “Dinner will be ready when you get back, so don’t eat too many car snacks, okay? And remember to remind Daddy to vacuum the car when he gets home.”

“You’ll just vacuum it yourself later anyway,” I muttered.

“You say something Hisao?”

“Nope.”

Hanako let Refia down and turned to Soon-hee.

“Wanna ride along?” Hanako offered.

Soon-hee blanched, “Um, maybe next time. Not sure I could handle a long trip.”

Hanako smirked and gently held Soon-hee in a brief hug, “Have a good trimester.”

Soon-hee returned the hug, “I will, Aunt Hana.”

When the two broke apart the kids wandered back to the car, and Kenji, Miya, and Hisato walked over to say their goodbyes to Hanako. When they finished the Setous stepped back while Hanako mounted her motorcycle, lowered her visor, lifted the kickstand, and turned on the engine. With a roar that made Soon-hee flinch, Hanako steered the bike onto the road before blasting off again.

Refia waved as Hanako disappeared into the distance, and I saw Miya and Soon-hee doing the same. They didn’t stop until the speck of her bike disappeared. Once she was out of sight, Refia lowered her arm and sniffed.

“’Bye Mommy….”

Satomi gently patted her younger sister’s head, “We’ll see her soon.”

Refia sniffed, “I know….”

“You always get a little teary when you leave someplace you stayed,” Miya remarked, “that’s why I always take the towels from any hotel I stay in.”

Refia hiccupped and turned to look up at me.

“We going soon Daddy?” she asked.

I smiled and nodded, “We’re going now. Everyone pile in.”

“We’re headin’ out, too,” Miya declared, “See you when I get back from Cali.”

Kenji sighed, “Please don’t call it that.”

“You going with her?” I asked.

Kenji nodded, walked over to me, and extended his hand, “You take care of yourself, man, and keep the light on at the office.”

I grinned and grabbed Kenji’s hand, “Don’t do anything to get you arrested –or shot.”

Kenji chuckled and lowered his hand. Miya, meanwhile, gently patted a slightly downcast Soon-hee.

“And you better keep in touch while we’re gone,” Miya said, “and if there’s anything you want let me know.”

Soon-hee smiled, “I will. Thank you.”

“We’ll text, too,” Satomi interjected, “I’ll message you when we’re on the road, Hee-neesan.”

“Me too!” Akio cracked.

I glared at Satomi, but she was too busy herding Refia toward the car to say anything.

Before heading to their own car, Soon-hee walked over to me and bowed.

“Thank you for having us over,” she said.

I smiled and patted her head, earning a small smile from the young woman.

“Thanks for coming,” I said, “You take care of yourself, too, okay? Don’t let the archery club get to you.”

I lowered my hand and Soon-hee lifted her head, “I won’t.”

With that, she walked toward the Setou’s car.

“Road trip!” Hisato chirped.

Kenji grinned and patted his son’s head, “That’s right! Let’s hit the road. Soon-hee, you wanna drive?”

Soon-hee blanched, “Um….”

Leaving them to it, I made sure my kids were all packed in before sliding into the driver’s seat. Once I had buckled in, I heard Akio sigh and Satomi chuckle.

“I don’t wanna hear it,” Akio grumbled.

Satomi smirked, “I didn’t say anything, Onii-san.”

Akio snorted.

I saw Refia frown in the rearview mirror, “Are you okay, Nee-chan?”

Akio opened his mouth to snark something, but apparently thought better of it. Proving he was already smarter than I was at that age, at least.

I smirked and turned the ignition, “Let’s get going, shall we?”

Without further ado, I slowly pulled onto the road, leaving the summer homes and heading back to the real world. Or whatever passed for real in our lives. And Kenji’s head.

+++

Since Hisao has a somewhat snarky inner monologue, I kinda figured it grew from a snarky outer monologue that Mai knocked out of him when he went to high school.

Anyway, that was fun for me.

I’ve been doing this for four years. I have written hundreds of thousands of words of VN fanfiction. This is what happens when politics keeps getting you out of work (at this rate I might actually go back to school to become an ASL interpreter.)

I regret nothing. So, until those Halloween Specials are up… um… I had one here somewhere… Ilya!

/smokebomb

Thank you, Ilya.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Thanks for having written another few thousand words to keep us entertained :-)

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Thanks for having written another few thousand words to keep us entertained :-)
Thanks, it's what I do :).

Don't forget folks, I do non-KS writing, too!