Broomhead Draws!

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
Broomhead

Broomhead Draws!

Post by Broomhead »

First things first: Disclaimers!

I am in no way a self-proclaimed artist (yet) so most of these will be whimsical sketches and colourings of said sketches with comments on how I intend to improve, not hour-killing masterpieces. Feedback is both appreciated and needed for development.

8/6/14
My second attempt at Hanako, this one came out better than the first, but a little bit more Chibi than I wanted.
My second attempt at Hanako, this one came out better than the first, but a little bit more Chibi than I wanted.
Hanako (Chibi) Avatar.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
This was one of the attempts during my first day trying to drawing stuff, so they were quickly improving due to remembering tips and tricks. And not having to contend with an old pen. ><

8/8/2014
I coloured in my Lilly from earlier. Then found a better blonde colour. GRAH!
I coloured in my Lilly from earlier. Then found a better blonde colour. GRAH!
Lilly (Coloured) Avatar.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Emi happened. Not much to say there.
Emi happened. Not much to say there.
Emi Happens (Coloured) Avatar.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Disclaimer2: This is my first time drawing for fun since elementary. I'd like to imagine my brain is pretty good for remembering how to use a pen for this.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Broomhead Draws!

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Well, I can tell who it is you're drawing in each one without looking at the caption, which is always a good sign :P

A few words of advice (from someone who's certainly not great at drawing themselves xD) - although drawing folds in clothing and whatnot is good, try to make them more subtle. On the Emi for example. one of the ruffles is half the width of her arm :P

Do you use a pencil when you draw the original sketches? If you have a half decent rubber handy, you can draw the initial sketch and then make modifications as to what you feel needs to be done. After a while, the larger corrections will become easier to get first time round.

The other thing I'd say (and this is kinda linked to the above point), the Lilly and Emi pictures in particular seem to have a slant to them. Do you move the paper much when you draw, or is it mainly the hand/wrist/arm?

However, it's neat that you've posted here, and new art is, regardless of quality, always good to look at! Definitely keep going! :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Broomhead

Re: Broomhead Draws!

Post by Broomhead »

Aaroniscrunchy: Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm going to start being more meticulous in (procrastination) and start using a pencil and eraser rather than an "erasable" pen. (Erasable pens are lies. All of them.) I take pictures with my phone then plug it into my computer, so that's probably where some of the slant comes from. The other slants probably comes from me looking at the in-game sprites with my head tilted to the side a bit. (Being tall is hard. ><) I align the paper to my desk's edge, but my computer, chair, and hands are all oriented by my head. If I move my chair and roatate my moniter that'll be fixed. (I swear I have no eye for tilts ever since I got insane vertigo once. That and my house is on a hill, so my balance is off by 1 or 2 degrees all the time.)

Addition: 8/28/14
Hanako - Full - Avatar.jpg
Hanako - Full - Avatar.jpg (12.82 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
I tried to do "Realistic Hanako" with head measurements (an average human is 7 1/2 according to wikipedia, although I've heard 8 from a friend) deciding the body proportions. I mostly tried to copy her sprite and then worked my way down to the legs. The legs, however, came out blobby. If you ask a friend of mine, he'll remember this drawing as the night I yelled "LEGS ARE STUPID" at 12:30.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.