Hanako portrait (FIXED)

Are you a deviant enough dude to post here?
elemile

Hanako portrait (FIXED)

Post by elemile »

Sorry, here it is:
Hanako.jpg
Hanako.jpg (221.46 KiB) Viewed 13381 times
Link to image on Pixiv:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=24301113
Last edited by elemile on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Hanako portrait (FIXED)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Very nice picture, but her right hand and wrist look incredibly thin, almost like a claw...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Juno

Post by Juno »

Doki doki

Post by Guest »

The pastel/watercolor look is really nice, with good choice of colors. The pink umbrella, especially, contrasts nicely with the otherwise cool palette, and complements her scars. Speaking of which, some of the best/most "realistic" scar texture that I've seen in any fanart.

Plus I really like her expression and pose; she looks more poised and self-confident than she did in the VN, but still seems true to her basic character. I can easily see her looking like this a year or two after the ending.
elemile

Post by elemile »

Thanks for the feedback; it was also my 2nd serious attempt of Photoshop, so it's always useful.

@Mirage_GSM
Yeah, I get a lot of remarks about my noodely hands and fingers; to be honest, I like them that way, but guess I still have to conceal them better so they wouldn't come as too distracting for others.

@Guest
Glad you like it. I normally do try to bounce colors here and there, over a restricted palette, for a more atmospheric feel. I also wanted to show a higher spirited Hanako, indeed, like in a moment of unaware relaxation achieved thanks to a good come with Hisao (maybe after giggling in the middle of a date, or by seeing him arriving at the cafe).

I wasn't sure about the tea, so I just went for a sweet/red/orange-flavoured variety, similar to that mentioned by Lilly (and maybe with some alleged relaxing qualities, like the one I used to drink during my own highschool days). However, the main point of the portrait was profiting from her feminine and "flowerish" name (Hana-ko) to convey a symbol of her: the vase's design, a little bit in the fashion of Hanako's scars, far from ruining the beauty of the flowers actually frames it, turning them into something special and unique (althought comprimising, by this very process, the very life of the flowers)... just like Hanako herself. Though I might be wrong.
CNB

Post by CNB »

elemile wrote:However, the main point of the portrait was profiting from her feminine and "flowerish" name (Hana-ko) to convey a symbol of her: the vase's design, a little bit in the fashion of Hanako's scars, far from ruining the beauty of the flowers actually frames it, turning them into something special and unique (althought comprimising, by this very process, the very life of the flowers)... just like Hanako herself.
Thanks for sharing the thoughts that went into the picture. I alwayse enjoy hearing artists talk about their creative process, and it drew my attention to some things I hadn't noticed at first glance. Now that I look more closely I can't believe I didn't notice the similar texture of the vase and her scars, and the wordplay on her name. The idea of the scars accentuating her beauty through contrast is both insightful and kind-hearted. Your explanation made me appreciate the picture even more than I did at first.
Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

This is a beautiful picture.
DESU

Post by DESU »

Seeing something like this would be like a dream for me.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Mr. Jack

Post by Mr. Jack »

Brilliant. Nicely done!
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Very nice. Well done.
elemile

Post by elemile »

Hi, it's been a while.

This might be stupid but I wanted to post it anyway. I made an extremely simple (I like it simple) wallpaper of the pic, with just one modification: I turned the vase into a warm pink to make a little more evident the aforementioned resemblance with Hanako's scars.

Thanks again for watching and see you later.
Hanako++ [WALL].jpg
Hanako++ [WALL].jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 11106 times
Last edited by elemile on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aidz

Post by aidz »

this is a lovely piece of art, colours are beautiful

however, there is some seriously funky anatomy going on on the right hand (left on page), the wrists are pretty dodgy aswell

was this done in real life and scanned in, or on a tablet?
elemile

Post by elemile »

@aidz

The sketch was on pencil, then colored in Photoshop. Honestly, I really screwed those members from the beginning; I tried to correct them on the way but somehow still missed things (like phalanx...). I've kept getting remarks on hands in general, so I've tried to do them from reference ever since; my own hands are very bony and I prefer them that way, but I'm increasingly neutralizing that feature so it won't affect my girls so much. Thanks for the critique.
hanako pencil.jpg
hanako pencil.jpg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
hands.jpg
hands.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
aidz

Post by aidz »

it's no problem at all, you don't need to thank me (:

you draw them like almost like branches, and that's cool, but it's probably just personal preference, but I've always preferred hands to be drawn chunkier, mine are more blocky wheras yours are quite spindly, maybe that's different styles talking though

ALSO DRAW ON PHOTOSHOP NEXT TIME, trust me then you can correct things so much more easily (I know I have just shamelessly uploaded a sketch so I look like a total hypocrite but it is much easier)
Attachments
565313_483302031691116_34603722_n.jpg
565313_483302031691116_34603722_n.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 11116 times
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Everyone's already mentioned the wrists, so I'm not going to repeat that.

Love the rest though, especially the smudged and dirty background. It makes it look lie a really old pencil sketch or watercolor found in an artists studio from the turn of the century.

And I can't say enough good things about her cute outfit. I really, really love it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.