Cannot Transfer Save Files (Windows 8)

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
jamaicanviking

Cannot Transfer Save Files (Windows 8)

Post by jamaicanviking »

Hi! New to the forums, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm posting in the correct place, but here goes:

My computer recently killed itself, but I was able to copy all of my Katawa Shoujo data and my save files (katawashoujo_actual, I think). More specifically, I copied all of my files onto a USB, went into the RenPy folder, and did the same with the Katawashoujo_actual 1.2 and persistent folders. However, my saves aren't loading, and the main menu has the Extras and Load options greyed out, as if I had done a fresh download.

I have all of the files (I think), so is there something I'm doing wrong?
demonix

Re: Cannot Transfer Save Files (Windows 8)

Post by demonix »

That's because you're trying to use saves from the 1.0 version of the game on the 1.2 version of the game, and some of the changes that were made (primarily in the game engine) rendered save files from the older versions incompatible with the current versions (only the persistent file which stores everything that's unlocked in the library will work).

If you have the install file for the 1.0 version around, you can remove the 1.2 version and install that if you want to use your save files.