Game wont open

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Exua

Game wont open

Post by Exua »

Okay, so I don't know if this is where is should post the question, but I hope that when it says support, it means like game workings... So I played the game ALOT. Finished Hanako's path, almost finished Lilly and Emi's, and started Shizune. Then I took a break for a day, and then got back on. But when i opened the game, it came up as a black screen (fullscreen) and said that katawa shoujo has stopped working. So, sadly, i uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried to play it again. When i did, it came up with a windowed black screen, and gave me the same report. I tried reinstalling again, then downloading from utorrent, but it didnt work.... now i dont know what to do and i really want to play the game again! Ive never had so much emotion and fun in a game before like this. So if anyone can help me that would be amazing, and if not just send me to a place where a question like this should be posted, and ill try there. Please help, i cant stand not playing this game, it means so much to me! :( Thanks
-Exua
diehard67

Re: Game wont open

Post by diehard67 »

what os are you running on and what has changed on your system between when the game worked and when it stopped?????????
Exua

Post by Exua »

I am running windows 7, and to my knowledge, nothing changed in the one day i stopped playing it. (windows 7 Home Premium).
demonix

Post by demonix »

I would suggest that you look through the event viewer as it should have a record of the instances when the game crashed and what was causing it.
Exua

Post by Exua »

So I went through the event viewer, and found the first time it crashed. All it said was "The program Katawa Shoujo.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." Then it told me to go to the action center to see more information, but I couldn't find anything involving the issue. If it helps for any reason, here's the full report the event viewer gave me:
The program Katawa Shoujo.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1514
Start Time: 01cf44ad59d755d9
Termination Time: 4
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Katawa Shoujo\Katawa Shoujo.exe
Report Id: b7d9d908-b0a0-11e3-9bdf-082e5f814092

I don't know if that helps, but its all it said about the issue.
Armando

Post by Armando »

Something certainly changed, have you tried reinstalling the game yet?
demonix

Post by demonix »

Armando wrote:Something certainly changed, have you tried reinstalling the game yet?
I'm guessing you missed this in the original post...
Exua wrote:I tried reinstalling again
As for fixing the issue, try doing a system restore to a day before the problem happened and see if it helps (if there is a restore point available) and if that doesn't work then the only thing I can suggest is to back up anything you need (including the KS save and progress files) and reinstall the OS.
DROZD01

Post by DROZD01 »

Hello from 2023!
Got the exact same issue here. First install - and i get a black screen after that initial "v1.3.1." yellow one. Compatibility modes and "run as admin" did nothing.