text to speech????

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
diehard67

text to speech????

Post by diehard67 »

I am legally blind and would like to make my computer read the characters lines to me.

is there some way I can get ks to spit out the dialog to the console so I can pick it up with a script and feed it to a tts program, like some kinda debugging command line flag or something.

I am running linux kubuntu amd64

I was thinking of trying to make a bash script that could capture the console output from the game and send the character lines to a tts if that is I can even get the lines out while I am playing.
diehard67

Re: text to speech????

Post by diehard67 »

I made some headway.......... strait into a brick wall. lol

newer versions of renpy support a function called auto_voice scroll down a bit and you will see it

if I could get my mits on that dialog.tab file mentioned on the page I linked to, I could make a script to get festival or espeek or something generate audio files from the lines and use the id to name the file.

trouble is I can't generate the dialog file from the compiled .rpyc files, I would need a dev to help me there if one would be kind enough.

then once I have made a directory full of audio files and provided I am interpreting the --help output from running ./Katawa\ Shoujo.sh --help right then I could run the game like this.

./Katawa\ Shoujo.sh --arg=auto_voice=<path to the audio files>/{id}.<whatever extension they have> and renpy should play the audio file that corresponds to the line of dialog on the screen.

or with my rotten luck it will not work at all.
diehard67

Re: text to speech????

Post by diehard67 »

sooooo I am gonna continue working on this using the renpy demo games sense I can get a dialog dump from them, i can't go further with ks on this because I can't get the dialog.tab file without a dev helping me, so fingers crossed and I will keep you all updated on how this goes.