Fanfics - Known Plot vs Plot Discovery?

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Zykes

Fanfics - Known Plot vs Plot Discovery?

Post by Zykes »

Having been around for a while, reading several fan fictions. I have wondered what others thought about these two concepts when reading stories.

In some stories, from the title of the thread or just in obvious writing, you know what is going to happen (If it be relationships or basic plot events)

Other stories, however, do not bring up what their plot can be and leaves it to be discovered throughout the reading.

Which do you think is better and/or where do you think each is appropriate?

I personally find plot discovery to be something better to read, as I'm more invested in finding out what is going to happen or what path the story will take, though this works best with longer stories more than anything.

Those that doesn't mean I feel like knowing what I'm getting into is bad either, but I feel it's a type that sticks well with short stories and one shots, where there isn't a build up to anything.
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
SpunkySix

Re: Fanfics - Known Plot vs Plot Discovery?

Post by SpunkySix »

I feel like a mix is best. A catchy title that grabs the reader's attention and gives a broad idea of the subject, but doesn't give away the details or full direction, allowing development and surprises that go beyond the name of the story.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:I feel like a mix is best. A catchy title that grabs the reader's attention and gives a broad idea of the subject, but doesn't give away the details or full direction, allowing development and surprises that go beyond the name of the story.
I'm a fan of this approach. For example, 'Developments' by dewelar is one of the best. Full of surprises, although the 'developments' of the title are sometimes convoluted to my mind. It's a very hotly-discussed piece because it 'doesn't give away the details or full direction' and we're still rooting for different people and outcomes. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

The thing is, your mileage can vary. I felt like Mean Time to Breakdown was a really opaque title for my story, and the role reversal between Iwanako and Hisao was intended to be a twist, but based on reader responses, everybody who clicked on the link immediately knew what it was going to be about.

I'm still a bit sore about that.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:The thing is, your mileage can vary. I felt like Mean Time to Breakdown was a really opaque title for my story, and the role reversal between Iwanako and Hisao was intended to be a twist, but based on reader responses, everybody who clicked on the link immediately knew what it was going to be about.

I think that MTB as a title worked fine: I wasn't sure in what sense 'mean', 'mean time' or 'breakdown' meant at first. But in a sense the one-for-one substitution made it reasonably clear what it would be about. If it's any consolation, since it's not a perfect one-to-one substitution, that means all your readers are still wondering what will happen and are eagerly awaiting unforeseen (or even dimly foreseen or blatantly foreshadowed) outcomes. :) Also, good writing!
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Leaty wrote:The thing is, your mileage can vary. I felt like Mean Time to Breakdown was a really opaque title for my story, and the role reversal between Iwanako and Hisao was intended to be a twist, but based on reader responses, everybody who clicked on the link immediately knew what it was going to be about.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't realize that's what it was about. I haven't read it yet, but to me, the title wasn't a giveaway.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:I feel like a mix is best. A catchy title that grabs the reader's attention and gives a broad idea of the subject, but doesn't give away the details or full direction, allowing development and surprises that go beyond the name of the story.
I'm a fan of this approach. For example, 'Developments' by dewelar is one of the best. Full of surprises, although the 'developments' of the title are sometimes convoluted to my mind. It's a very hotly-discussed piece because it 'doesn't give away the details or full direction' and we're still rooting for different people and outcomes. :)
I have to agree with Spunky's original post as well. I never thought "Developments" was all that catchy as a title, but it does accurately convey the general theme of the story. Actually, it was originally meant to have a double meaning, because my outline included a subplot involving Hanako taking an interest in photography. I just never found a way to fit that into the story as it flowed, but there are still one or two artifacts of it in the early chapters.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I also prefer stories I don't know the ending of after the first chapter.
In that sense I like MTB a lot, because I still don't know how it's going to end.
And to me the title wasn't a giveaway, since I wasn't familiar with that technical term - and I doubt I would have gotten the reference if I had been familiar with it.
I wouldn't fret over it, though, since it's not a huge spoiler - that part of the story becomes obvious less than a page in.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I usually prefer discovery.

There's nothing wrong with a known plot. Sometimes you just want something light, although it does tend to work best in shorter stories. Long multi-chapter fics it tends to wear out it's welcome.

Myself, I like to give titles to stories that capture people's attention without really letting them know exactly what's going to happen or how. Whether the readers like it or not, I'm not sure, but I have some fun with being unpredictable.
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:Whether the readers like it or not, I'm not sure, but I have some fun with being unpredictable.
That's actually a really important aspect here too. Obviously you try to write for an audience, but you have to be able to stand behind what you write personally too, so it comes down partially just to author's preference.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oddball wrote:I usually prefer discovery.
*snip*
Whether the readers like it or not, I'm not sure, but I have some fun with being unpredictable.
That's for sure. :)

On my end, I do like writing unpredictability that grows out logically from what we already know. Life is like that—people do things for reasons, even if they are odd reasons. Especially a population full of people on various drugs. :)
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

I prefer an air of mystery but also a bit of a setup. Take for example, my fanfiction.

The Orion Project.

Okay, so Orion probably means it's gonna have some aspect relating to sci-fi. Project? Indicates that someone is working on something in that sci-fi environment, and if general fiction is to be trusted, anything with "project" in the title indicates evildoings.

And yet you can't grasp anything more than absolute basic setup from that.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Zykes

Post by Zykes »

It does make me wonder if this either preference gives any insight on a person's view on things.

I can only speak for myself, as my preference is always discovery, I've always enjoyed the journey of a story (If it came from Movies, Books or video games). This kind of reflects on my interactions with other people, and what I reveal about myself. I'd rather let them learn as time goes on, rather than be an open book.
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

What about bait-and-switch titles that seem obvious at the start, but then turn out to have a second, more important, meaning? FluffAndCrunch's "Scar Tissue" was a fine example. It's subtitled "a Hanako story" so the reader's immediate response is to assume the title refers to Hanako's burns. Except it doesn't and it leads to an "Ahah"-moment on part of the reader later in the story.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Guest Poster wrote:What about bait-and-switch titles that seem obvious at the start, but then turn out to have a second, more important, meaning? FluffAndCrunch's "Scar Tissue" was a fine example. It's subtitled "a Hanako story" so the reader's immediate response is to assume the title refers to Hanako's burns. Except it doesn't and it leads to an "Ahah"-moment on part of the reader later in the story.
Ooooh, I like that.