Shizune Epilogue project (WIP)

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

metalangel

Shizune Epilogue project (WIP)

Post by metalangel »

Inspired by the fan-made Shizune epilogue on GameFAQs (linked in my sig) I'd love to turn it into a little animation in the style of the game.

I've been storyboarding it, I've found some fitting music, and I'm trying to contact the author on GameFAQs to know if they want to help or object to me using some of their text.

The only thing really holding me back is the artwork. I'm not very good at it! Before I can do much more I'd need someone good that I could give a few sketches to be made into proper nice coloured artwork. Once I had those I could put the rest together myself and turn it into a little animation.

Pictures I'd need are:
-adult Hisao
-adult Shizune (with their baby)
-adult Misha
-aged Mutou
-a group shot of the three friends posed
-the three of them walking off together

The closer to the game's artwork in terms of style, the better, I think.

If you can draw well and think you could help me with this I'd be very grateful! Thanks.

(Mods - sorry if this isn't appropriate, I'm not trying to make an art request so much as get some help for something I'm working on. If that's still against the rules, please say)
Last edited by metalangel on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pl4t0

Re: Shizune Epilogue project (WIP) needs an artist

Post by Pl4t0 »

Considering it's going to be an animation, are you going to voice it all as well?

Otherwise, it would be nice to have this become a reality - one can only dream that it will actually be made canon at some point.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Not voiced, no, it will look very much like one of the in-game sequences.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Sat and worked pretty much the whole thing out into a textual storyboard (an illustrated one I've decided unnecessary). Including opening and ending credits, it comes in at just under four minutes. It's not the full epilogue, just the key moments between our three friends.

I've revised the artwork needed to:
-Misha (grinning)
-Misha (sad)
-Misha (happy)
-Misha (aghast)
-Shizune with baby (smiling)
-Shizune with baby (displeased)
-Shizune without baby (smiling)
-group shot of the three of them (four if you count the baby)

The backgrounds I'll source from stock images of Japan, which will just be the school gates, a bus travelling through the hills, and maybe an image of a tea house.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Sent two PMs to the guy/gal on GameFAQs and no response... I'm not really sure where I stand with using some of the text in that respect, but I'll still give them full credit.
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

metalangel wrote:Sent two PMs to the guy/gal on GameFAQs and no response... I'm not really sure where I stand with using some of the text in that respect, but I'll still give them full credit.
Considering its based upon somebody else's work in the first place, I think you're in the clear.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Cool. No luck with an artist yet though I am trying.

Post by Guest »

Out of curiosity, do you plan to make any changes to the text, or just keep it as is? I had the same idea, but all I've done is clean it up a bit. I'll probably rewrite a few sentences to get rid of the fragments, and maybe even visually dress it up in the style of the manual, but an animation would be even better. This epilogue helped drive the ending home without compromising any of the points in the story or adding any unnecessary baggage. Hisao didn't fail and die, he kept his drive and chased after her. It's quick, light, and drama-free; gotta like it for that. Far as I'm concerned, it's canon. Funny thing too, because aside from this epilogue I haven't read any KS fan stuff. Always wish they could've had a scene with her trying to speak vocally to Hisao, but once you think about it, it'd be pretty tough to pull that off without going against her character or just being awkward. Eh, I'm rambling now, good luck!

And yeah, maybe I'm just a sappy sucker for closure :lol:
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Edit: Ignore this. Continue.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Many thanks to Suriko for hearing my appeal.

Anyone who is unsure, this is not a game, sequel, or interactive in any way. It is going to be Flash/YouTube where push play and watch some fan created content, and it was always intended to be thus. I hope that doesn't disappoint anyone but I respect the developer's wishes regarding the creation of fan works.

@Guest: I haven't altered the text, but I have severely cut it down so it fits into four minutes. It is just the intro of Hisao's return to become a teacher, unexpectedly encountering Misha, and then Shizune arrives and they are reunited. I decided anything much more than that would have far too much text and not enough action for a video you sit and watch.
iamjagman

Post by iamjagman »

May be able to do SOME of the art. Only the sketches though. Someone else will have to add the color, which could be a problem, since i naturally draw in grey-scale (as in, i shade in the darkness of the colors, so it's hard to color over unfortunately).

I also take a fair amount of time, but the finished product usually turns out well.

Here's an example of my work (the only drawing I've posted online, ever): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18886967/Hanako_1_Tiny.png
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I like the picture, but my extent of colouring is basically doing flat-fill with the paint bucket tool :P I do want it coloured, though, I want it done right and to do the story justice.

Been a bit under the weather lately so haven't done much more on this.
Eora

Post by Eora »

I'm in. Just gimme details.
"Enjoy life and... shut up."
- Said by me when I had friends at my place and we were eating meatballs.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Woo!

I hope to post a few crappy sketches of things in a little while of what I've been seeing in my head all this time.

The guy on GameFAQs has responded and said it was in fact 1-kilometer (the artist for Hanako) who wrote the story, so I've sent them an email letting them know and asking for their blessing to continue.

EDIT: Someone else on GameFAQs has directed me to this: http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/59588540/ and says it was inspired by someone on /a/, so I really don't know who to ask. Frustrating.
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

metalangel wrote:The guy on GameFAQs has responded and said it was in fact 1-kilometer (the artist for Hanako) who wrote the story, so I've sent them an email letting them know and asking for their blessing to continue.

EDIT: Someone else on GameFAQs has directed me to this: http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/59588540/ and says it was inspired by someone on /a/, so I really don't know who to ask. Frustrating.
When we're talking about small, esoteric fan communities, se la vie.