KS: The Fighting Game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Turupawn

Re: KS: The Fighting Game

Post by Turupawn »

Thanks for your feedback!

I like the Dive Kick as it is right now because is really fast, funny and unrealistic. I guess we should give a try to smoother jumps, I think as long as it's fast it would be ok with me, that's my personal opinion.

If you like working with mechanics you can change them yourself on the XML for every character, there are not many members in the project right now, so if you want to collaborate in anything let us know.
crushinator

Post by crushinator »

Brilliant. I could watch Rin kick Hanako in her burnt face all day long.
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

My comment on the gravity was based on the video. I've just downloaded it and discovered that it's unplayable, at least for me. I'm running Windows 7, so I downloaded the Windows version. When I get to the character select screen, the only keys that do anything are W, A, S, D, U, I, O, and P, which all cycle me through Rin, Shizune, and Hanako. Enter makes a little sound but does nothing, and Esc takes me back to the other menus.
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

Kyvos wrote:My comment on the gravity was based on the video. I've just downloaded it and discovered that it's unplayable, at least for me. I'm running Windows 7, so I downloaded the Windows version. When I get to the character select screen, the only keys that do anything are W, A, S, D, U, I, O, and P, which all cycle me through Rin, Shizune, and Hanako. Enter makes a little sound but does nothing, and Esc takes me back to the other menus.
Sometimes the game do strange stuff when you have connected a gamepad or a wierd periferic that the engine can't read. Is this your case?

Please don't be too hard on us saying it is unplayable :( Coding for windows is a hard task due to it's incompatibility. However we are working hard fixing bugs and issues, you can go to http://rosalilastudio.com/index.php/issuereport and we will contact you via email when we solve the issue. If you get your time reporting it will be really apreciated and a big help for us.
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Nah, I'm just using a keyboard. And I didn't mean anything derogatory by unplayable, I just meant that I literally can't get into the gameplay. I can understand what you mean, though, and I probably should've worded that differently.

UPDATE:
I started the game up again so that I could give the console data and such in that link you gave. It actually works now, though, which is strange because I closed and reopened it several times yesterday and couldn't get it to work.
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

Kyvos wrote:Nah, I'm just using a keyboard. And I didn't mean anything derogatory by unplayable, I just meant that I literally can't get into the gameplay. I can understand what you mean, though, and I probably should've worded that differently.

UPDATE:
I started the game up again so that I could give the console data and such in that link you gave. It actually works now, though, which is strange because I closed and reopened it several times yesterday and couldn't get it to work.
So strange :/
I think we'll change the graphic library (from Irrlicht to SDL). That's a lot of work I hope it fixes those issues. Thanks for your report :D
Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

Love the music!
Also there's no way to go back to the menu after looking at the player inputs
Is there a reason there's no movement beyond jumping?
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

Gamera Ramen wrote:Love the music!
Also there's no way to go back to the menu after looking at the player inputs
Is there a reason there's no movement beyond jumping?
Thanks! (in name of the guy who made the music)

>You can go back from menu to menu using the "esc" key.
>Making a full fighting game is hard and would take too much time. So we did this dive kick version where you can just Jump and Dive Kick as a engine test and find more collaborators.
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

Surprise!

A week after the Dive Kick! Demo we just made a new game as a surprise for all the Katawa Shoujo fans.

More information and download links here:
http://rosalilastudio.com/index.php/katawa-halloween
mattroks101

Post by mattroks101 »

Ok I've played it and it definitely needs work. As some guy said before me the jumping is too floaty and awkward, and I mean it. It feels way, way off and unnatural and is not very fun. I understand the game is in early, early alpha but that needs to be worked on, also more attacks and animations need to be made (I'm sure your aware of this but I figured I'd say it anyway).

I did not have time to read 3 years worth of conversation, so if I may ask, what is the reason (if there is one) that you dropped using M.U.G.E.N. and went with java instead? Even though I know it's far to late to still suggest this, I still suggest you use M.U.G.E.N. as your fighting game engine, it's easy to use and has a huge community of people who are highly skilled and willing to help in coding and character making.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on the project, I look forward to seeing progress be made to this, as it's a very cool concept.
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

mattroks101 wrote:Ok I've played it and it definitely needs work. As some guy said before me the jumping is too floaty and awkward, and I mean it. It feels way, way off and unnatural and is not very fun. I understand the game is in early, early alpha but that needs to be worked on, also more attacks and animations need to be made (I'm sure your aware of this but I figured I'd say it anyway).
Thanks for you reply. Is really good to know that there is people testing and following the project.
I just joined the project less than two months ago and don't know much about what happened before. Sorry for the weird mechanics and the few animations but we decided to do a quick project to begin with. So far I only contributed with the Dive Kick game (done in 1 month) and the Halloween Surprise (done in 1 week). And we did those projects to get the attention of new collaborators because so far there are not many. So if you want to collaborate or know somebody who wants please let us know.
I did not have time to read 3 years worth of conversation, so if I may ask, what is the reason (if there is one) that you dropped using M.U.G.E.N. and went with java instead? Even though I know it's far to late to still suggest this, I still suggest you use M.U.G.E.N. as your fighting game engine, it's easy to use and has a huge community of people who are highly skilled and willing to help in coding and character making.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on the project, I look forward to seeing progress be made to this, as it's a very cool concept.
As you can see there is no "official team" there are just collaborators. I don't really know either why they stopped using mugen. I contributed with the code, and it's not in java it's in C++ (I don't know either why they stopped using java). I don't think it would be a problem using mugen but I wouldn't participate in that project because I prefer using free software GPL and Creative Commons (like Ren'py and the original KS CGs and music). In GPL you can do anything you want to improve the engine (netplay?, visual novel style?, 3D? ,android/iphone port? etc...) and you can do anything you want with the product but in mugen you can't. Using the current engine you can do a complete game and if we want a special feature we can code it on the way. I can't speak in name of the other collaborators but for me I'm here for the GPL, CC, the fighting games and mostly because I wan't to kick everyone's wifu's asses with mine.

<3 I love KS so much <3
mattroks101

Post by mattroks101 »

Turupawn wrote: As you can see there is no "official team" there are just collaborators. I don't really know either why they stopped using mugen. I contributed with the code, and it's not in java it's in C++ (I don't know either why they stopped using java). I don't think it would be a problem using mugen but I wouldn't participate in that project because I prefer using free software GPL and Creative Commons (like Ren'py and the original KS CGs and music). In GPL you can do anything you want to improve the engine (netplay?, visual novel style?, 3D? ,android/iphone port? etc...) and you can do anything you want with the product but in mugen you can't. Using the current engine you can do a complete game and if we want a special feature we can code it on the way. I can't speak in name of the other collaborators but for me I'm here for the GPL, CC, the fighting games and mostly because I wan't to kick everyone's wifu's asses with mine.

<3 I love KS so much <3
MUGEN is open source and GPL (if I remember correctly) Nope it's not :(

I still think MUGEN would be a lot easier to use for a fighting game, but I can see, and respect your reason for not using it. Also I would love to contribute in some way, but I doubt I could. I have no artistic talents whatsoever, and my coding experience is rather limited (I know a little C++ and how to code in MUGEN and Renpy but that's about it). Heck probably the only thing I could do would be to make the characters in MUGEN, but that would require more animations.

If I may ask, do you have any planned control schemes, such as a 6 button or a 4 button one? That can help with coming up with moves and animations.
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

mattroks101 wrote: MUGEN is open source and GPL (if I remember correctly) Nope it's not :(

I still think MUGEN would be a lot easier to use for a fighting game, but I can see, and respect your reason for not using it. Also I would love to contribute in some way, but I doubt I could. I have no artistic talents whatsoever, and my coding experience is rather limited (I know a little C++ and how to code in MUGEN and Renpy but that's about it). Heck probably the only thing I could do would be to make the characters in MUGEN, but that would require more animations.

If I may ask, do you have any planned control schemes, such as a 6 button or a 4 button one? That can help with coming up with moves and animations.
It's so cool that you want to contribute!

Art
Currently we are making new HD sprites
Here a example if HD work in vectors of a member of the team
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=hnmack#/d5k3hke
Even I'm learning how to use vectors and it's really fun, I just finished this trace to practice
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3130/shizune1.png
If you want you can learn and help us with the art even if you haven't experience.

Coding
You can also help in the coding. In the core engine, in the XML that describes the characters (similar to mugen), or in the XML editor in JAVA. It doesn't matter if you're a newbie in coding you can learn if you want.

Music and SFX
Also you can help doing music or sound effects (like a whiff or a kick or menu sounds).

Mugen?
If you want to do a mugen version you should be in the dev forum so you have access to the sprites as soon as they are drawn. I think all (or at least most) of the artist works under CC. About mechanics like control schemes there is nothing set as far as I know, I guess it will be done on the way.

Please let us know if you want to contribute in one of those areas or you have another idea.
mattroks101

Post by mattroks101 »

I have many sound effects on my computer, I am a film person so I have much of that stored on my PC. I can also help with coding. I also know a lot about how a fighting game is made, and I can tell you that you do not want to just make up what type of fighter you are going to do on the fly, you need to plan that out before you get any farther, or else this will end in disaster.

I really want to help with this project. It has much, much potential, but before you go much further, you really need a set plan or else things will fall apart (I know from experience).

So yes, I can help with SFX and Coding and Coding in MUGEN if you want me to do that (It's quite easy).
Turupawn

Post by Turupawn »

Nice! I'll send you a PM for more information.
"if you want me to do that" please don't think that way, this is about what you want to do and contribute.