How good is Hanako at chess?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Atario

Re: How good is Hanako at chess?

Post by Atario »

Munchenhausen wrote:From what we've seen, she has a 100% lose rate ;)
False. She almost always wins against Lilly. We even see her do it once. Also, in Hanako's Act 3 scene "Invitation":

Hanako: "Mate."
Hisao: "Again… What does that make this? 3-2?"
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Atario wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:From what we've seen, she has a 100% lose rate ;)
False. She almost always wins against Lilly. We even see her do it once. Also, in Hanako's Act 3 scene "Invitation":

Hanako: "Mate."
Hisao: "Again… What does that make this? 3-2?"
I realised that when I re-read my post after CoffeeDrive had replied.

I was hoping to slink away into obscurity without anyone calling me out ;)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
brythain

Post by brythain »

On further reflection, I think the reason Shizune beats Hanako is that Shizune employs gamesmanship and deliberately plays what we call 'ugly' moves. She probably also grinds on instead of offering a draw in even positions, thus panicking Hanako (who knows it's a drawn position) into second-guessing herself. That's what she appears to mean when she says Hanako is playing for love of the game and not just to win: Hanako plays chess, but Shizune plays games—or perhaps, plays people.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

Munchenhausen wrote:I was hoping to slink away into obscurity without anyone calling me out ;)
You know I gotta stand up for mai waifu!
brythain wrote:Hanako plays chess, but Shizune plays games—or perhaps, plays people.
Possible. But I feel like Shizune is just a sharp cookie all the way around, and she's exhausted her potential with chess (as with many other games), becoming pretty good in the process. Combine that with her psych-out powers and Hanako's nervousness in socially charged situations and it was pretty much a foregone conclusion.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
d2r

Post by d2r »

Re: Shizune vs. Hanako - I will also point out that someone being better than you doesn't mean you aren't good. For example, I like to think I'm good at Starcraft, but BoxeR would kick my ass. :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
OremLK

Post by OremLK »

In her own route, Hanako seemed like she was only a bit better than Hisao, and it didn't sound like Hisao had a big chess background or anything, so I doubt she's particularly great at the game. That said, it doesn't sound like Shizune is much of a chess player either. I think Hanako would probably win if you matched them up online and they didn't chat. But in a room with three people she barely knows, playing against an incredibly aggressive opponent who's using gamesmanship against her, who also happens to have a history of enmity against Hanako due to Lilly? Poor Hanako was screwed from the start.

Aaand now I'm sad thinking about how Hisao wanted to laugh at her in that scene. What an asshole.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

OremLK wrote:Aaand now I'm sad thinking about how Hisao wanted to laugh at her in that scene. What an asshole.
To be fair, we are getting bits of his subconscious in there, and you can't always control the POS part of your mind from thinking bad stuff, even if you totally mean well.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
OremLK

Post by OremLK »

SpunkySix wrote:
OremLK wrote:Aaand now I'm sad thinking about how Hisao wanted to laugh at her in that scene. What an asshole.
To be fair, we are getting bits of his subconscious in there, and you can't always control the POS part of your mind from thinking bad stuff, even if you totally mean well.
Yeah, I know. At least he didn't do anything actually hurtful. But still, knowing how much courage it must've taken Hanako to even come in and play a game, it makes me a bit sad that he just thought it was funny instead of having any empathy.

Best girl syndrome I guess :lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

OremLK wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Yeah, I know. At least he didn't do anything actually hurtful. But still, knowing how much courage it must've taken Hanako to even come in and play a game, it makes me a bit sad that he just thought it was funny instead of having any empathy.

Best girl syndrome I guess :lol:
I get ya. That's one thing I'm glad about with Emi's route over Rin's... both were excellent, but you have to deal with A-hole Hisao a lot less in the former.

Back on track, I wonder if learning from a computer like Deep Blue would make Hanako more comfortable.
Tyrael

Post by Tyrael »

SpunkySix wrote:
I get ya. That's one thing I'm glad about with Emi's route over Rin's... both were excellent, but you have to deal with A-hole Hisao a lot less in the former.

Back on track, I wonder if learning from a computer like Deep Blue would make Hanako more comfortable.
Because a-hole jock Hisao is much better amirite? :mrgreen:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Tyrael wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:

Because a-hole jock Hisao is much better amirite? :mrgreen:
Quiet you, I'm trying not to go there. :evil:
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

SpunkySix wrote: Back on track
Fairly sure we'll die if we do. :twisted:

I'm sure that Hanako would be fairly good at chess if she practiced to win rather than play. However, the question really comes down to if she has the competitive drive or not. I think, in all honesty, that would require a Hisao bad end, or perhaps HGE if Hisao pushed her fairly hard afterwards.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Broomhead wrote:
if Hisao pushed her fairly hard afterwards.
I foresee that happening regularly... nightly, even. :wink:
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:
Broomhead wrote:
if Hisao pushed her fairly hard afterwards.
I foresee that happening regularly... nightly, even. :wink:
Down a staircase?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Munchenhausen wrote:Down a staircase?
No, to train at chess. Have you even been reading the topic?