Crippling phobias

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

YutoTheOrc

Re: Crippling phobias

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Blocking out emotions is good at the moment, but generally it will explode when you least expect it. Like Hisao's heart, he clearly didn't expect it then :P.
ARandomSloth

Post by ARandomSloth »

I have ridiculously severe acrophobia (I've had breakdowns from standing on chairs) and not so severe Athazagoraphobia which causes anxiety attacks from time to time (which have certainly scared my friends on several occasions). Other than those two, I'd say maybe Agoraphobia but I have my reasons for that fear so I don't know if it should be considered irrational.
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena... Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds."
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

It's not exactly crippling, but my older sister and I both suffer from Trypophobia, the fear of or feeling of repulsion triggered by patterns and clusters of holes and other round shapes (though in her case she's more afraid of things that are have cracks or things in nature that are segmented by lines into patterns of shapes, like an intricate spider web or dry, cracked mud). Me, I can't stand to look at a wasps nest for more than a few seconds and lotus flowers are my worst nightmare.

I'd link to the Wikipedia article on it, but then I'd risk something that will become all too apparent if you Google the word.
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I know which side I'll choose if I ever play SC 2 with you.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

KeiichiO wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Um... hm. I don't like heights, but that hasn't stopped me from doing much. Oddly enough, it does make the ferris wheel the scariest ride by far for me.

Do any of the girls have phobias? I can't think of any right now.
I'm pretty sure Hanako doesn't like most humans.
Ok, a little late on this thread but the 4 websites I turn to for entertainment are dry and I'm too drunk to read proper literature.

I have only read the first page of this thread so apologies if this has been answered by Suriko.

I also have an animal phobia that has shaped my life significantly. In high school i let a few friends know about this, which led to a lot of abuse in years 7-9, but eventually everyone got over it. After moving to uni i was very cautious about people I trusted with my secret.

I can't lie; my experience influenced the Hanako path, but I don't think she has a phobia.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Broken Yet Whole

Post by Broken Yet Whole »

Oh god, Phobias. I suffer from a crippling fear of Snakes, Insects, Spiders, Heights, Falling, Small Spaces, Lizards, Frogs, and Social Situations.

I've been going to therapy for my Social Phobia, so that's improving, slowly, but it is.

I empathize with those who feel fear, those who say they are fearless are lying.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Broken Yet Whole wrote: I empathize with those who feel fear, those who say they are fearless are lying.
To fear is to be human, to be fearless is to be stupid.
Unless it's a Honeybadger.
You don't fuck with Honeybadgers.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Broken Yet Whole

Munchenhausen wrote: To fear is to be human, to be fearless is to be stupid.
You don't fuck with Honey Badgers EVER. They'll fuck shit up real fast.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Broken Yet Whole wrote:
Honeybadgers are like that guy that sits outside the front of the pub wih a pint and a fag who don't do anything until you annoy them, at which point they'll come after you and won't stop until the police arrive.

Except there are no police in the animal kingdom.
There is no escape.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Broken Yet Whole

Munchenhausen wrote:
Broken Yet Whole wrote:
Honeybadgers are like that guy that sits outside the front of the pub wih a pint and a fag who don't do anything until you annoy them, at which point they'll come after you and won't stop until the police arrive.

There is no escape.
Honey Badgers are all "OI! YEW WONNA GO M8? I'LL SOCK YER GABBER I SWEAR ON ME MUM!!"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Munchenhausen wrote:
Broken Yet Whole wrote:

There is no escape.
I'd like to mention a time in Dungeons and Dragons where half of my party was almost gibbed by a Dire Honey Badger. Because our Swashbuckler stuck his head down a hole.
Those fucking things are vicious :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Broken Yet Whole

Steinherz wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote: Honeybadgers are like that guy that sits outside the front of the pub wih a pint and a fag who don't do anything until you annoy them, at which point they'll come after you and won't stop until the police arrive.

There is no escape.
I'd like to mention a time in Dungeons and Dragons where half of my party was almost gibbed by a Dire Honey Badger. Because our Swashbuckler stuck his head down a hole.
Those fucking things are vicious :lol:
I know how vicious honey badgers are, but they don't rank anywhere on my list of crippling phobias, because Animals, to me, are soft, furry, and, even though deadly, not scary.
erundil
Location: at my desk, right in front of the monitor (may not be applicable when offline)

Post by erundil »

My case: fear of dogs.

When I was 6 a big dog (think: some crossbred thing bigger than german shepherd) grabbed my hand and dragged me over 30 meters through the backyard. My hand was badly mutilated. Ever since then I react with panic attack each time a dog barks close to me, or sneaks up on me. Whenever it happens my brain just shuts down and I act beyond control. When I was younger I'd throw myself to the ground and start kicking the air in the direction of the dog. Now that I'm older I usually kick it standing, because they are no longer taller than me. When kicking I keep my hands close to face or chest, or even behind my back (trying to protect them, I suppose). One time I almost killed a dog, because: 1. I'm grown up now, 2. the dog was quite small (you know, the smaller the dog, the louder it barks), 3. i kicked it into the air and it landed on a crowded street. >_< Luckily in the end my kick and fall damage was the only harm done, but it was a close call.
Usually the owners of the dogs don't believe me that it was a reflex and I didn't do it out of malicious, sadistic nature.
Back in the day when I had a girlfriend, she didn't warn me that she has a dog, so when I came to visit her and heard a bark behind the door, I jumped back at first, then when she calmed me down, I explained things and she had to lock her dog in the bathroom before I could come in. Quite problematic. I'm also not sure if she ever believed me that I wasn't exaggerating.
d2r

Post by d2r »

erundil wrote:My case: fear of dogs.

When I was 6 a big dog (think: some crossbred thing bigger than german shepherd) grabbed my hand and dragged me over 30 meters through the backyard. My hand was badly mutilated. Ever since then I react with panic attack each time a dog barks close to me, or sneaks up on me. Whenever it happens my brain just shuts down and I act beyond control. When I was younger I'd throw myself to the ground and start kicking the air in the direction of the dog. Now that I'm older I usually kick it standing, because they are no longer taller than me. When kicking I keep my hands close to face or chest, or even behind my back (trying to protect them, I suppose). One time I almost killed a dog, because: 1. I'm grown up now, 2. the dog was quite small (you know, the smaller the dog, the louder it barks), 3. i kicked it into the air and it landed on a crowded street. >_< Luckily in the end my kick and fall damage was the only harm done, but it was a close call.
Usually the owners of the dogs don't believe me that it was a reflex and I didn't do it out of malicious, sadistic nature.
Back in the day when I had a girlfriend, she didn't warn me that she has a dog, so when I came to visit her and heard a bark behind the door, I jumped back at first, then when she calmed me down, I explained things and she had to lock her dog in the bathroom before I could come in. Quite problematic. I'm also not sure if she ever believed me that I wasn't exaggerating.
I, too, have always been afraid of dogs, although not to the same extent.

At any rate, you are not alone.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

I've long had a phobia of dogs. It's not as bad as when I was a kid (I was absolutely terrified of dogs then), but there's still a part of me that's absolutely convinced that every dog I see has it in for me personally. Even with dogs I know well, I won't put my hand anywhere near their mouth for fear they'll bite my fingers off. (And yet, I still think puppies are cuter than kittens.)
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)