Crippling phobias

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ParagonTerminus

Re: Crippling phobias

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Assertive wrote:I guess have some sort of phobia , I'm fine in small rooms and elevators, but as soon as I can't move my arms/legs I freak out, first time I realised this I was caving... I would be a bad hostage.
Never play CounterStrike. The few seconds before the round starts will kill you.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

ParagonTerminus wrote:
Assertive wrote:I guess have some sort of phobia , I'm fine in small rooms and elevators, but as soon as I can't move my arms/legs I freak out, first time I realised this I was caving... I would be a bad hostage.
Never play CounterStrike. The few seconds before the round starts will kill you.
Would it really have an effect beyoned the third wall?

I guess one of my most real fears is picking up stones in the desert and then getting bitten/sting by a scorpion or a snake. That has yet to happen to me, because i take precautions before i pick up rocks.
I don't think this would count as a phobia though
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Comrade wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote:
Would it really have an effect beyoned the third wall?

I guess one of my most real fears is picking up stones in the desert and then getting bitten/sting by a scorpion or a snake. That has yet to happen to me, because i take precautions before i pick up rocks.
I don't think this would count as a phobia though
Why would you be picking up stones in a desert? Just for something to do? :p
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

to set up campfires of course. there are a lot of shrubs and whatnot in the desert, and you wouldn't want to start a massive fire, would you?
An American, 2014
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Comrade wrote:to set up campfires of course. there are a lot of shrubs and whatnot in the desert, and you wouldn't want to start a massive fire, would you?
I had the impression you were just out for a stroll, and decided to go to the desert and flip over stones! :lol:
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

YutoTheOrc wrote:
Comrade wrote:to set up campfires of course. there are a lot of shrubs and whatnot in the desert, and you wouldn't want to start a massive fire, would you?
I had the impression you were just out for a stroll, and decided to go to the desert and flip over stones! :lol:
Well, there are some ancient ruins here and there worth poking around in, but there are better places than the desert to do it in
An American, 2014
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

I actually have a fear that's pretty much closing down career paths for me: fear of clumsiness. Specifically, becoming a doctor, Bomb Disposal Unit member, etc.

Basically, I'm scared that I can never become a surgeon/bomb disposal officer because I somehow know for a fact that I will fuck up and kill someone/detonate the bomb. It goes beyond that, obviously, but it means that I'm scared to do jobs that require finess and precision and I have been since thirteen or so.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Post by Xaredian »

Atario wrote:Bees are kinda cool about things. Wasps, on the other hand, can eat a bag of tiny wasp dicks.
No they're not. Fuck both. Fuck both till both die, please?
Comrade wrote:The only thing i fear is fear itself, so naturally this thread terrified me.
This is going to be weird but...

Wouldn't the fear of fear mean you're afraid of anything and everything?
Panphobia, to be exact.
Being that fear is a mental concept and an instinct. As, most things we fear in nature, would be able to kill a human. There's a such thing as "unreasonable fear" (Such as my fear of bees and wasps), which normally is caused by personal experiences, mostly in their early years.
Khalego wrote:I have a severe aversion to hospitals. Last time I was there (a relative was visiting a sick friend so I was...Moral support or something), I ended up pacing around the halls struggling to contain my trembling.

Needless to say, Hisao's scenario after that first heart attack would drive me out of my mind. Not good times.
On an interesting note. I don't have a fear of hospitals, cemeteries, and nursing homes, but I do have a weird feeling of unease while in one.
It's probably being I associate those places with death. While death is a concept I don't fear (which is unusual for a human), I don't like places associated with it. It's possible I fear other people's deaths, but not my own. As death is inevitable and consumes all, so I've accepted my own death before I was even born.

Damn, would I be a terrible person to try and help someone in depression. As a side note, I'm mentally incapable of being depressed. Don't ask how it works. So, don't worry about me killing myself, because I won't be.
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Phobophobia is not fear of fear, its the fear of irrational fear, that is phobias.
An American, 2014
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Xaredian wrote: No they're not. Fuck both. Fuck both till both die, please?
Would you be the Lilly to the bee's Hisao?

And now for an edit completely different:
I don't have a fear of hospitals, cemeteries, and nursing homes, but I do have a weird feeling of unease while in one.
Yeah. I guess I associate phobia with the literal translation of "The unnatural fear or hate of-" so that puts me at odds when people only use it in the context of fear. (I realize the modern definition doesn't see it that way, but eh.)
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I'm just glad people are differenciating between having a fear and having a phobia :P

Having a phobia and just having a fear is the difference between being anxious when you see a spider on a far wall and physically escaping the room, usually screaming, as soon as you see it.
I was waiting for someone to say they had a phobia of something and then go on to describe it as "X gives me the heebie jeebies!"

Kinda like people who are annoyed by something out of place and saying they have OCD, or people who get distracted during homework and blame it on having ADHD.
Fuck those guys.
/tumblr style rant
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Disposition

Post by Disposition »

I'm afraid that I will enter a mental state of silent hill. I've come close one time, was not a pleasant experience, I think it was all of my inner thought turned against me, and, while on a large quantity of drugs, my mind was taken to another dimension, where everything is fighting against me, but, in reality it was my own thoughts, and problems, and basically a giant self-allegory, that I wish I could remember so that maybe I could search deeper in my shadow. But, I don't want to go back to that state, apparently my heart was beating at 220 bpms and I was having a panic attack.
INTP Enneagram 5w4

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion."

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty together again."
Atario

Post by Atario »

Xaredian wrote:I'm mentally incapable of being depressed.
You realize you're tempting fate, right?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Xaredian wrote:I'm mentally incapable of being depressed.
Get help immediately.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Xaredian wrote: Damn, would I be a terrible person to try and help someone in depression. As a side note, I'm mentally incapable of being depressed. Don't ask how it works. So, don't worry about me killing myself, because I won't be.
This raises so many red flags, you honestly have no idea.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"