Types of emotional reactions to KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CoffeeDrive

Re: Types of emotional reactions to KS

Post by CoffeeDrive »

SpunkySix wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:Planetarium cant make me cry
Are you made of stone?
Quite likely, although i will say it was definetly the saddest VN ive ever read, i was on the verge, if I find something sadder i might break.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

I found myself verging on tears a lot, but never did a single tear flow.

Spoilers from Hanako route: When that classroom-birthday scene happened, it was like having a locomotive hitting me in the stomach.

When, shortly afterwards, you get the scene with Hanako lying down crying, a bullet train hit my feels.

And finally, taking the cake, saddest scene in any video game, when Hanako admits what happened to her, show off that crayon drawing, and, worst of all, Painful History plays for the first time...

Katawa Shoujo does this to my feels
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

Well....where to start.

As has been said in this very topic. I'm a gigantic sap and softie. I may put on a tough facade sometimes but when it comes to love and such? I'm a leaky faucet

Nearly...every route made me cry. Not...super bad you know? None of the runny nose and red cheeks but more...A good amount of single tears slowly sliding down my cheek.

Rin will forever hold the title of having the route that NEVER made me cry.

Hanako,Lilly,Emi and even Shizune's routes all made me weep a few tears.

For me personally? I'd have to say Hanako's and Emi's routes are my favorites, They are simply the most emotional to me. In Hanako's route when she has her panic attack in the classrom and the sad music played and she started crying I was like reaching out to the screen going "No no no no no no no no no no don't cry, Shhhhh. It's okay, It's okay" : ~ :

As far as the whole "Waifu" thing goes? Hankao is far from my first but I'm known around here as the most recent Hanako waifu spasmer so..you can guess who mine is :P

I did feel a bit of emptyness multiple times however. After I finished Hanako's route? I felt so...emotionally blank. And it took about a week or two to get over her route. As silly as it sounds..Doing the other routes at the time..felt wrong. It felt like I was cheating on her by doing another route and I was perfectly okay with never seeing any other story because she was the story I wanted.

Eventually that passed and I did the other routes..and eventually came the day when I..more or less...completed KS. And I again felt that emptyness.

"I just don't know what to do anymore" pretty much summed me up for a week or so. That emptyness came back and I..so desperately wanted amnesia so I could re-live KS over and over and over again. Sad as it sounds.

So I guess you could say in the TL:DR version? I felt the feels, Got sad, Felt more feels, Got sad..finished..got sad..and wish I could experience it again

Hanako is best girl >.>
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:Planetarium cant make me cry
Are you made of stone?
Quite likely, although i will say it was definetly the saddest VN ive ever read, i was on the verge, if I find something sadder i might break.
It's fine. Man though, that robot just beat my heartstrings into submission, really tenderized 'em.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

SpunkySix wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Are you made of stone?
It's fine. Man though, that robot just beat my heartstrings into submission, really tenderized 'em.
Such an incredible story though.

If youre looking for some serious feels, like more so than KS, just go play planetarian,
Actually, go do it anyway, its only a few hours long.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
hoborailcat

Post by hoborailcat »

Well, where to start? I guess I'll say that this game connected with me personally on more levels than I would have ever thought possible.

I first discovered Katawa Shoujo through Youtube, on MillBee's channel. I didn't know what to think of it when I started watching, but I quickly got into the story, despite MillBee's attempts to keep it merely comical. I watched him play all of Hanako's route, with all three endings, before deciding that I'd rather experience this firsthand. Playing for myself, I found out quickly though that I was being pulled towards the Hanako route once more, despite having already seen how it goes. It took me a while to think it through, but I figured out why. The way Hisao acts in Hanako's route, is exactly how I am in real life. I've always drifted more towards the girls that seemed like they were in distress. I wanted to help them overcome whatever problems they may have been facing. I think this is because I'm not comfortable around conflict, so I try my hardest to make their conflicts go away, just as Hisao tried to do for Hanako.

Going through Hanako's story for myself was a stark reminder of who I am, and the problems I face when trying to appeal to a more... troubled set of people, I guess is the best way to put it. My attachment to Hanako is much like the times I've found myself going out of my way to try and help a girl who seemed like she simply needed someone around. I've finished Hanako's route with the good ending, and I can say without a doubt that I will never go back to get the bad ending. Even though I know exactly how it goes thanks to MillBee's series, I don't think I could stand to see that unfold again while I was the one looking through Hisao's eyes. I can't stand the sight of that image of Hanako in the bad ending, I don't even want to look at it, not only because it's crushing to see Hanako in such a state, but also because I know that this is something that could very well happen to me in real life.

On another note, I agree with many of the other members here, that doing the other character's routes feels somewhat wrong. I've since done Lilly's and am close to finishing Emi's. Sure, they have both been wonderful emotionally taxing stories (especially the end of Lilly's route), but it feels weird to leave Hanako to her own devices, which is very noticeable in Lilly's route, since she and Hanako are inseparable.

Well, that was one heck of a first post.
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

hoborailcat wrote:Well, where to start? I guess I'll say that this game connected with me personally on more levels than I would have ever thought possible.

I first discovered Katawa Shoujo through Youtube, on MillBee's channel. I didn't know what to think of it when I started watching, but I quickly got into the story, despite MillBee's attempts to keep it merely comical. I watched him play all of Hanako's route, with all three endings, before deciding that I'd rather experience this firsthand. Playing for myself, I found out quickly though that I was being pulled towards the Hanako route once more, despite having already seen how it goes. It took me a while to think it through, but I figured out why. The way Hisao acts in Hanako's route, is exactly how I am in real life. I've always drifted more towards the girls that seemed like they were in distress. I wanted to help them overcome whatever problems they may have been facing. I think this is because I'm not comfortable around conflict, so I try my hardest to make their conflicts go away, just as Hisao tried to do for Hanako.

Going through Hanako's story for myself was a stark reminder of who I am, and the problems I face when trying to appeal to a more... troubled set of people, I guess is the best way to put it. My attachment to Hanako is much like the times I've found myself going out of my way to try and help a girl who seemed like she simply needed someone around. I've finished Hanako's route with the good ending, and I can say without a doubt that I will never go back to get the bad ending. Even though I know exactly how it goes thanks to MillBee's series, I don't think I could stand to see that unfold again while I was the one looking through Hisao's eyes. I can't stand the sight of that image of Hanako in the bad ending, I don't even want to look at it, not only because it's crushing to see Hanako in such a state, but also because I know that this is something that could very well happen to me in real life.

On another note, I agree with many of the other members here, that doing the other character's routes feels somewhat wrong. I've since done Lilly's and am close to finishing Emi's. Sure, they have both been wonderful emotionally taxing stories (especially the end of Lilly's route), but it feels weird to leave Hanako to her own devices, which is very noticeable in Lilly's route, since she and Hanako are inseparable.

Well, that was one heck of a first post.
Hi there, welcome to the Waifu Warzone. Pick your allegiance, load up the flame bombs, and start throwin'.

(Seriously, though, welcome.)
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Potato

Post by Potato »

hoborailcat wrote:I watched him play all of Hanako's route, with all three endings
Literally the worst thing you can do is watch someone else play it. (Welcome!)
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
hoborailcat

Post by hoborailcat »

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm entirely new to virtual novels, so I wasn't sure if I'd even enjoy it when I first started watching MillBee play it. I think the fact that I was able to go back almost immediately and play Hanako's route and get even more from it than when I watched it speaks bounds for the capability of the story.

I think that for me, at least, being that I was so willing to see Hanako's route twice in a row without moving to the next route was a glaring reminder of my obvious White Knight Syndrome.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:Literally the worst thing you can do is watch someone else play it. (Welcome!)
Especially Millbee.

However, I'm fine with watching face-cam let's-plays after having 100%ed it oneself. It's kinda entertaining to see others ride the rollercoaster too.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
hoborailcat

Post by hoborailcat »

I will say, looking back on it, it was interesting to see him go from "I don't really get affected by these, so I'll just keep it funny" in the beginning to "wow, I really liked that ending, that was nice" by the end of Hanako's good path.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

I've watched CriousGamers play it (ChilledChaos)

He has like a...140 pt series? But suddenly stops midway through Act 1 of Shizune's route. Apparently he claimed it made him depressed and feel alone so he had to stop playing. But his seires is entertaining. To ME personally.

He even tears up at Hanako's birthday, It's sweet <3

Jesse Cox also did a fan-friday of KS

But Jesse Cox is just ridiculous..."The Cacophonous Noi...Damn game you wordy!"
Atario

Post by Atario »

hoborailcat wrote:I will say, looking back on it, it was interesting to see him go from "I don't really get affected by these, so I'll just keep it funny" in the beginning to "wow, I really liked that ending, that was nice" by the end of Hanako's good path.
Yeah, see, I liked that too. It was an honest reaction. But the vast majority of the time, he purposely sabotages any reaction to stop from feeling anything, and then he blames it on "having to be entertaining". Meanwhile, his honest reactions are the most entertaining thing he does. Certainly not the hundred "MY BRAND!" and "HADOUUUUKEN!" references out of nowhere. :/

Yeah, yeah, I mad. Whatever.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

If KS was meant to have an inane commentator in the background, I'm pretty sure the devs would have added him. As it is, I'd highly recommend playing the game without some random guy doing voiceovers on top of it.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Guest Poster wrote:If KS was meant to have an inane commentator in the background, I'm pretty sure the devs would have added him. As it is, I'd highly recommend playing the game without some random guy doing voiceovers on top of it.
Exactly. Commentators with face-cams especially tend toward irrepressible obnoxiousness. Totally ruins their (fake and clearly played up for the camera in the worst way possible) reactions anyway.

If only KS had been created so many years earlier, Mister Rogers could narrate. Lovable bastard. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.