Ignorant things said by Internet know-it-alls

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Ignorant things said by Internet know-it-alls

Post by SpunkySix »

Mass Effect doesn't actually show the sex, and unlike KS, the goal of the romance path is basically to get in your partner's pants, the end. You even get an achievement for it. That... kind of implies some nasty things.

I agree that it's bizarre that people seem to find romance with a crippled person to be this horrible thing that has to be tied to a fetish. They're people too, and they need love just as much as everybody else. They aren't toys for people to use and they can handle themselves just fine. Which is ironic, because if they'd read the VN, they'd see that was a major theme in it. This seems carry over to real life too though, which is the really concerning thing.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

SpunkySix wrote:Mass Effect doesn't actually show the sex, and unlike KS, the goal of the romance path is basically to get in your partner's pants, the end. You even get an achievement for it. That... kind of implies some nasty things.

I agree that it's bizarre that people seem to find romance with a crippled person to be this horrible thing that has to be tied to a fetish. They're people too, and they need love just as much as everybody else. They aren't toys for people to use and they can handle themselves just fine. Which is ironic, because if they'd read the VN, they'd see that was a major theme in it. This seems carry over to real life too though, which is the really concerning thing.
Even a cripple fetish isn't something to demonize, it's not our fucking buisness what other people get off to. (unless of course it harms other people)

I knew a cripple couple once, they had missing limbs. they were quite cute, when people asked them what happened to them, they answered "wild sex".
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:Mass Effect doesn't actually show the sex, and unlike KS, the goal of the romance path is basically to get in your partner's pants, the end. You even get an achievement for it. That... kind of implies some nasty things.

Ummmm.... Have you played all of the Mass Effect games?
The romances in them are very well-thought out.

Also: Liara's romance scene in ME1

You see sideboob her entire tit is blue :lol: and clearly see her completely naked, as opposed to the other romance scenes in the entire series.
Comrade wrote:I knew a cripple couple once, they had missing limbs. they were quite cute, when people asked them what happened to them, they answered "wild sex".
That's a valid response to that question imo
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:

Ummmm.... Have you played all of the Mass Effect games?
The romances in them are very well-thought out.
Eh... I'm not going to go too far into this because it's not the topic at-hand, but to me the romances felt very "be nice, pick the blue option, get laid". I liked them to an extent, but they lacked depth for the most part.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Funny you guys mention mass effect so much recently, just when i finished my first playthrough.
Tali is bestgirl.
An American, 2014
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:Eh... I'm not going to go too far into this because it's not the topic at-hand, but to me the romances felt very "be nice, pick the blue option, get laid". I liked them to an extent, but they lacked depth for the most part.
You kind of described romances in video games/visual novels in a nutshell though.
Comrade wrote:Funny you guys mention mass effect so much recently, just when i finished my first playthrough.
Tali is bestgirl.

Agreed.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Eh... I'm not going to go too far into this because it's not the topic at-hand, but to me the romances felt very "be nice, pick the blue option, get laid". I liked them to an extent, but they lacked depth for the most part.
You kind of described romances in video games/visual novels in a nutshell though.
True, but KS is much deeper than that, which is why people might not be exposed to that sort of thing and may not expect it from something like this. If ME is the best mainstream romance in gaming can do, then it might make sense that people don't expect much from something like this, which doesn't justify their presumptuous comments, but it could help explain them.

And yeah, Tali is bestgirl, and thanks to me making only one wrong choice in the suicide mission, she's also deadgirl.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

SpunkySix wrote:
And yeah, Tali is bestgirl, and thanks to me making only one wrong choice in the suicide mission, she's also deadgirl.
:shock:
That's what the internet is for
An American, 2014
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

You know, it's possible to play Mass Effect 2 and beat Mass Effect 3 in such a way that literally nobody survives. It's tricky (it's actually much, much harder than anything else in the game,) but it is possible.

It's also my favorite ending, since it's the only one where Joker dies.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Leaty wrote:You know, it's possible to play Mass Effect 2 and beat Mass Effect 3 in such a way that literally nobody survives. It's tricky (it's actually much, much harder than anything else in the game,) but it is possible.

It's also my favorite ending, since it's the only one where Joker dies.
You're a monster
An American, 2014
Potato

Post by Potato »

Steinherz wrote:These two game series which depict their sex scenes in a respectful, loving manner are totally obscure and underground, right I forgot :lol: :P
Ha. Cute. :P

But yeah, the problem with KS (for many) isn't that there's sex. It's that you dare to treat a cripple as an equal person able to engage in relationships and other human activities. Like, really. What kind of sicko does that?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
Steinherz wrote:These two game series which depict their sex scenes in a respectful, loving manner are totally obscure and underground, right I forgot :lol: :P
Ha. Cute. :P

But yeah, the problem with KS (for many) isn't that there's sex. It's that you dare to treat a cripple as an equal person able to engage in relationships and other human activities. Like, really. What kind of sicko does that?
What's funny is that Mass Effect actually has a cripple who's implied to be banging a robot as a side plot, and nobody seems to object to that one, in-universe and out. And he's awesome, so how dare you Leaty.

I wonder if the reactions would be different if the disabled were guys and the protagonist was a girl.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:What's funny is that Mass Effect actually has a cripple who's implied to be banging a robot as a side plot, and nobody seems to object to that one, in-universe and out. And he's awesome, so how dare you Leaty.

I wonder if the reactions would be different if the disabled were guys and the protagonist was a girl.
Well, that's only implied. Plus it's a robot. See, it's only objectionable when a cripple is with a real human being because that would suggest some form of equality and that's just heathen nonsense.

And honestly...Yeah, they probably would be different. Perception is stupid like that.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:What's funny is that Mass Effect actually has a cripple who's implied to be banging a robot as a side plot, and nobody seems to object to that one, in-universe and out. And he's awesome, so how dare you Leaty.

Well, that's only implied. Plus it's a robot. See, it's only objectionable when a cripple is with a real human being because that would suggest some form of equality and that's just heathen nonsense.

And honestly...Yeah, they probably would be different. Perception is stupid like that.
It's amazing what gender perception does to people. Yesterday I was on FML, and a guy was talking about how his mom hit him for talking back. Everybody went on and on about how he deserved it and how he should have been beaten harder and so on, but can you imagine if it was reversed, and a father hit his girl? People would be livid if that happened.

With stuff like that, and stuff like this, I know knee-jerk reactions can happen both ways, (no matter who you are, double standards are screwing you at some point) but people really need to think about whether or not being a boy or a girl is actually relevant in a given situation, and they need to realize that the vast majority of the time, the answer is a resounding no.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:

It's amazing what gender perception does to people. Yesterday I was on FML, and a guy was talking about how his mom hit him for talking back. Everybody went on and on about how he deserved it and how he should have been beaten harder and so on, but can you imagine if it was reversed, and a father hit his girl? People would be livid if that happened.

With stuff like that, and stuff like this, I know knee-jerk reactions can happen both ways, (no matter who you are, double standards are screwing you at some point) but people really need to think about whether or not being a boy or a girl is actually relevant in a given situation, and they need to realize that the vast majority of the time, the answer is a resounding no.
I firmly believe in slapping the shit out of whoever deserves it, no matter what chromosome they have. Gender (well, more accurately, sex) is only relevant in matters of attraction and reproduction.

But, double standards and knee-jerking. What're ya gonna do? Whether you're straight, gay, male, female, white, green, able-bodied, crippled...