Katawa Und Panzer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: Katawa Und Panzer

Post by Oddball »

Oh LoL. Most rage inducing typo I have ever encountered on the internet :lol: I'm glad I can laugh it off though. Sorry for being so aggresive over your typo.
I was wondering why you got so mad at first. Oh well, can't say this is the worst typo I've ever made. :lol:
BTW Katawa und panzer can only use WW2 era tanks and tank destroyers (we are somewhat following the rules that is used in Girls und Panzer). Some of the most famous and most manufactured tanks back then somewhat required a fifth person to operate the radio. Lilly would definitely be of use there.
I know it started that way, but it seemed like some people were just talking about any kind of tank. period.

And even though my experience is with more recent models, I figured a bit of personal experience wouldn't hurt anyway.
I suppose Lilly could also drive a tank as well.I'm not entirely sure though but I know that in some WW2 tank drivers had very limited visibility and depended a lot on their commanders to tell them where to go.
To an extent, but limited visibility is still better than no visibility at all.

Also, I'd say Lilly is far too physically frail
Not Dead Yet
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Oddball wrote:
I suppose Lilly could also drive a tank as well.I'm not entirely sure though but I know that in some WW2 tank drivers had very limited visibility and depended a lot on their commanders to tell them where to go.
To an extent, but limited visibility is still better than no visibility at all.

Also, I'd say Lilly is far too physically frail
I don't think Lilly is so weak. In any case she would do some bodybuilding so that she can operate a tank. That goes for all the girls and guys. Lets not bring fragility into this because than we would have way too many problems.

With precise directions from the commander Lilly could do something. I think that Lilly would be a better driver than Shizune (although I am not sure).
It's best to just let Emi or Hanako to be the driver. You sort of want all your limbs (prosthetic s probably work fine in Emi's case) and your senses to be working. Lilly would be a good Radio commander and Shizune could be a fine Commander with Misha's presence. Without Misha's presence I suppose Shizune could be a loader as long as the shooter knows some sign (enough to say what kind of shell they will need) which really wouldn't be that hard.

Could Shizune be a shooter without Misha around to translate anything? I think she could figure out where and what to shoot without needing any instruction's from the commander but I am not sure.
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

Huh, if you want a tank that has so much promise, but ends up being an exercise in chaos for our little posse, I wouldn't look any further then the French Char B1.

Don't get me wrong: on paper, it is an impressive vehicle and, on a good day, it can wipe the floor of the 1940s standard Panzer IIIs and IVs, but its design suffered from, to paraphrase Bovington Tank Museum historian and curator David Fletcher "odd design logic". Among the most notable depictions of this odd logic included the simultaneous tasking of the driver to lay, load and fire the hull-mounted 75mm howitzer (as well as drive) and the one-man turret included on the tank's top. To quote:

"... the guy I've really got to feel sorry for is the one perched in the turret there [...] He has to relay orders and messages to both his crew and, depending on his position, his unit. He has to spot enemy armour for the main gunner. He has a main gun to aim, load and fire and a machine gun to aim, load and fire and clear stoppages."

So I hope whichever of our girls is stuck up in the tank's turret can keep her cool and multitask well, because she'd have her work cut out for her.
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Potato

Post by Potato »

AussieInquisitor wrote:So I hope whichever of our girls is stuck up in the tank's turret can keep her cool and multitask well, because she'd have her work cut out for her.
Shizune then?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Potato wrote:
AussieInquisitor wrote:So I hope whichever of our girls is stuck up in the tank's turret can keep her cool and multitask well, because she'd have her work cut out for her.
Shizune then?
She can cover all the pressure and multi-tasking, but when her platoon starts screaming for orders or alert the entire panzer group of enemy position, Shizune wouldn't be able to mutter a word--literally.

Nor would she be able to hear them.

Also,
A method of telling the driver of a panzer back during the old panzer days was by using the feet to kick/lightly tap the shoulder of the driver to tell them which direction to go--even then it is still up to the driver with limited visibility to find the safest path towards the pointed direction (the commander has a job to do too you know!)

Not to mention, they provide periscope for the driver to improve some visibility; not using them would be a waste, which is something Lilly can't do and Shizune can. (The ausf. G panther especially lack the forward driver's slit and rely solely on the periscope as the slit was determined as a weakspot.)

I'd still rather put Shizune in the loader position with Misha as commander though.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Now, I haven't gotten very far into GuP Halfway through episode one :3

What criteria are needed for a tank to be used? Is it defined at all or is it just a case that everyone miraculously agrees on a certain specification? :P
I need to know for fanwork reasons...
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

(Edited for whoopsie-daisy, completely missing the point ... I think)

I think the only criterion everyone seems to be running on here is that our little crew, in compliance with the "rules" established in GuP, can only use tanks or armoured fighting vehicles from the Second World War - most likely due to the proliferation of them during this conflict. I definitely know that the majority of tanks used by each 'national team' in GuP were vehicles that, for the most part, were locally developed and used by them (such as the British with Churchills and Cromwells, for example), so vehicles that were based on foreign designs (eg: the Sherman Firefly) could end up within one team or another.

Apart from that, I'm in the dark. Back to you, O.P.
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Munchenhausen wrote:Now, I haven't gotten very far into GuP Halfway through episode one :3

What criteria are needed for a tank to be used? Is it defined at all or is it just a case that everyone miraculously agrees on a certain specification? :P
There's the power-weight ratio, which determines if it moves or not (how fast it is etc.)

Then there's the armament and armor, followed by crew efficiency which can be determined by tje 'working space' and task divition.

Then of course, reliability. You don't like driving something that breaks down in the middle of combat (*cough*Panther D*cough*Tiger*cough*Elefant*cough)

For example, Hans Guderian--the pioneer of the infamous Blitzkrieg--emphasizes tanks to be fast mobile infantry support units with emphasis on good armor, speed, mobility, and firepower. The early PzIII for example, was fast and mobile and equipped with a versatile 50mm gun and one of the first tanks that takes 5 crews with each member focusing on certain tasks (commander, gunner, loader, radio operator, driver). It is efficient and proficient with the blitzkrieg tactic due to its good gun and mobility. The early pzIV, on the other hand (the ausf. C-F1) were equipped with short barrel KwK 75mm L/24 are infantry support tanks and relied on the PzIII for AT duties (it wasn't until the F2 variant of the PzIV did it receive the long-barrel KwK L/50 after the T-34 shock). Also note the cost and its ability to be mass-produced.

Thing is, Hitler's obsession with bigger=better pretty much generated the massive Tiger I-II and the Maus, as well as other insane projects like the ratte or the p.1000 Monster.

Which brought to the point:
What tank--based on personality, ability, and disability--would the girls use? What I can imagine is how Shizune would ride into battle in a Tiger I or a Panther, over-engineered machine designed for precision and long-range extermination. Emi looks like the type that would go with the T-34/76 that has the speed, mobility, and firepower (plus, she gets a free soviet tank cap free from glorious workers of the union!). Hanako would be in a sherman since you know--the 'Tommy cooker'. In a more sadistic manner, she'd be in a sherman crocodile flamethrower tank. Lilly would probably be in a recovery panzer like the bergetiger since at least her sight won't hamper crew capability in shooting, reloading, driving, etc. Lastly, Rin would be in a small type 95 Ha-Go since--I admit--it looks like a bin, and if it fits Rin sits.

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Forever_ambivalent

Munchenhausen wrote:Now, I haven't gotten very far into GuP Halfway through episode one :3

GuP rules would probably work. Take away the "Only girls can drive tanks" part though because we don't want to limit the amount of people in KS. The cast in KS is already low enough. Battles and tanks must be realistic
Tanks have to have at least a prototype that still exist's today. All mass produced tanks are fine as well (some WW2 mass produced tanks havn't managed to survive today :( )
It would be nice if the tanks somewhat reflect the girls (Tanks that relate to their personality in some way for example the widely accepted Shizune=Panther)
I think these rules should be fine.
I think it is ok to pull in some random character's in Hisao's class just so that we can have more members. We want to have a few tanks.

How entertaining. I had also began to think about making a fanfiction (my first one). I think my knowledge of tanks is fairly good (for somebody who isn't a tank historian or any other tank related job) so I could brew up some nice tank battles. I decided against it though. I am not the most confident in my literacy skills :(
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Battles and tanks must be realistic
I don't think I have enough underscores to make a flat-stare emoticon large enough.

You're putting highschool students in a TANK to participate in what amounts to a low-contact SPORT, for fuck's sake. The students being variously disabled is really just icing on the cake, since the premise is incredible enough to drag your brain out of your ear for a quick vacation.

I ain't saying it isn't fun, but I believe the word "realistic" is in the wrong zipcode here.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Forever_ambivalent

Silentcook wrote:
I don't think I have enough underscores to make a flat-stare emoticon large enough.

You're putting highschool students in a TANK to participate in what amounts to a low-contact SPORT, for fuck's sake. The students being variously disabled is really just icing on the cake, since the premise is incredible enough to drag your brain out of your ear for a quick vacation.

I ain't saying it isn't fun, but I believe the word "realistic" is in the wrong zipcode here.
When I say realistic I mean stuff like when a tank is hit and penetrated they will usually be destroyed. GuP level of realism basically (Well probably a bit more unrealistic).
I don't mean real war realism. I don't want mines and aircraft bombings and air to ground missiles and all the other random stuff a tank might get attacked by in war.
But yea I should have been clearer.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Silentcook wrote:

Well, yeah....

BUUUUT...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ
Tell me that isn't awesome. TELL ME THAT IS NOT AWESOME!!

Them engaging in tank battles is enough to make a tank-nut squeal in delight. It's pseudo-realism at its finest!
...sadly, I doubt the girls in Yamaku are capable of Tankery--if they can, they'll have a lot of things to overcome. BUT! Then again, it would make an interesting read for whoever managed to pull-off that cross-over :lol:

Just imagine...Yamaku High in their panzers facing off against the winners of the national Tankery competition, Ooarai Jousei Koukou. :lol:

SHII-HAEL!
Forever_ambivalent

Megumeru wrote: It's pseudo-realism at its finest!
...sadly, I doubt the girls in Yamaku are capable of Tankery--if they can, they'll have a lot of things to overcome. BUT! Then again, it would make an interesting read for whoever managed to pull-off that cross-over :lol:

Just imagine...Yamaku High in their panzers facing off against the winners of the national Tankery competition, Ooarai Jousei Koukou. :lol:
You know if you try reading a few pages back you might find that the girls at Yamaku can easily use a tank with some adjustments and strengthening. It's hard but it's far from impossible.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
Megumeru wrote: It's pseudo-realism at its finest!

You know if you try reading a few pages back you might find that the girls at Yamaku can easily use a tank with some adjustments and strengthening. It's hard but it's far from impossible.
I know.

But, if we're comparing to the efficiency of the 5-man crew of Ooarai Jousei Koukou and Yamaku's (with the 'adjustments'), I'd say they're far from matching the former but hey, who knows. Still just a theory :lol:

SHII-HAEL!
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Megumeru wrote: I know.

But, if we're comparing to the efficiency of the 5-man crew of Ooarai Jousei Koukou and Yamaku's (with the 'adjustments'), I'd say they're far from matching the former but hey, who knows. Still just a theory :lol:
Tis the sad truth

Even with the adjustments for the crew member's individual handicaps, they would probably only be as good as an average tank crew. Realistically, they wouldn't... nay, couldn't be a particularly large threat for Protagonist-Level tanking skills.

That being said, just like QuietChef pointed out, this is regarding schoolgirls driving WWII-era tanks. Realism out the window.
Every girl and their buddy gets a pimped-out FT-17 because Vive La France
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon