Adaptive technology

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Adaptive technology

Post by brythain »

Broomhead wrote:Brain development ends at the early to mid 20's though...
Not true. We've learnt a lot about brain plasticity since the 1990s.
As usual, basic stuff available through Wikipedia here.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

Broomhead wrote:
I pretty sure she's been blind her whole life, there's nothing to 'get back'.
Bad wording choice, sorry. Not going to edit it for the sake of making you look smart.
Who suggested editing it to make anybody look smart? That's just a bizarrely random thing to say...

I'd totally go for a cybernetic eye and I'm not even blind. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Are you sure that the girls who are born with disabilities want necessarily to become "normal" ?
Mainly the result would probably be much inferior than the natural ones; possibly leaving them more "inadequate" (I hope it's is the good word
and not a involuntarily offensive word) in the society than before. (as some deafs who criticize prostheses as under-effective, do not really allow to live normally and away from the aprentissage of sign language)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Broomhead wrote: I'm no neurologist, and neither am I a psychologist, but I'd imagine it'd be a little like hearing a new (human) language rather than like a computer reading a new type of file, so it may take some getting used to, but I'm sure either could cope. Brain development ends at the early to mid 20's though, so both girls have a year or three to start the journey, Shizune seems determined enough, and interpreting sight is probably very hard, but it'd be something Lilly would probably enjoy. That said, I have no idea if any of it would work in the given situation for all of the characters which is why I made several disclaimers. (I'm probably sounding defensive, I'm really not. I just enjoy debate.) Again, nerve endings and all of that.
Unfortunately, no. There is a period after which you won't be able to process speech if you haven't already, and that's adolescence. This is why if someone with very early (prelingual) hearing loss is a candidate for a CI, the sooner it is done, the better. However, it is still not a perfect solution, which leads to...
(Also, if they don't want their hearing, I'm not going to force it on them. Everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to it.)
Because it has to be done so young, the child can't really make a decision. It's in the hands of the well intentioned but fearful parents and doctors. This is one of the starting points for the audism controversy.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:Are you sure that the girls who are born with disabilities want necessarily to become "normal" ?
Mainly the result would probably be much inferior than the natural ones; possibly leaving them more "inadequate" (I hope it's is the good word
and not a involuntarily offensive word) in the society than before. (as some deafs who criticize prostheses as under-effective, do not really allow to live normally and away from the aprentissage of sign language)
Inadequate is a suitable word. But "it's is" is redundant, as "it's" is a contraction of "it is". "Involuntarily", though understandable in this context, isn't quite the right word. Aprentissage is not a word at all. /TheMoreYouKnow

And frankly, some would want it. Others wouldn't. Humans, man. They're, like...Variable and stuff.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

I apologize, I shall try to make myself more clear.

Potato: It is common-place on some forums to correct a mistake once someone points it out, partially out of spite, partially out of embarassment. I am bad at communicating sometimes. Come off sounding snobbish etc.

Zarys: Don't know if you are responding to me or not, but I'll put this out there: This is all theoretical, and I'm not going to force this on anyone. Restrictions may still apply (Blind marksmen shouldn't exist etc.) but forcing a choice on someone directly isn't moral.

(Below is something I said when I was being stupid. Feel free to read it!)
Brythian: I have no idea what you are responding to. Current studies continue to show that the brain is more receptive of stuff before 24 right? No idea if there was a new breakthrough. Although, if I interpret your meaning correctly, you are only further supporting my point that it's not too late (it's never too late...) I could've gone into more detail, but I'm lazy and basically horrible person. But I am fairly sure that brains are more receptive during the opening 25 years right? Edit: Derp Derp Derp didn't read the thing very well, was distracted and frantic sorry sorry... God I feel idiotic.

Brythian: That's interesting, although I would've appreciated a direct quote about the whole
wikipedia wrote:following amputation of the third digit, the area in the cortical map formerly occupied by that digit had been invaded by the previously adjacent second and fourth digit zones.
or, to translate: A monkey had it's finger chopped off and its brain erased the area controlling the finger and expanded the adjacent, and only the adjacent, finger's brain's sections.

So it could be assumed that Shizune and Lilly may not even be capable of receiving information on that front due to their brain simply not having the input option for it. So it is more like a computer receiving a new type of file rather than a human with a new language. Which makes me sad. Emotions aside though, that kinda destroys any Geordi visor/Drone cams ideas I had. Perhaps though, stem cells could be of use here? I'm not a medical professional in any way, so I'm just taking a blind stab in the dark with that. It would probably require a sample of the original tissue though, and extensive surgery to introduce and remove the various goops required.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/articl ... 698958.php
Carolyn Said wrote:When Lyft passengers get into Jibril Jaha's silver Honda, he suggests they speak into his Android phone so their words will appear on the smart watch on his wrist.

"I can't hear; I'm deaf," he says, enunciating carefully. "This is an app called I See What You Say, and it will let me read your words on my watch."

He always adds proudly: "It's from my startup company."
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Atario

Post by Atario »

Jibril best girl.

That's pretty cool!
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Not so much adaptive as it's non-functional, but still... prosthetic arm made on a 3D printer.

http://makezine.com/2014/08/25/gorgeous ... f-boredom/

(I just got a 3D printer, too, although mine can't do builds that large.)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:prosthetic arm made on a 3D printer.
Okay, call me crazy, but something about that arm is ridiculously attractive. It'll be super cool when they become functional. Can you imagine how much happier somebody missing their arms could be if they could not only get them back, but pick out a pair that look and feel awesome too?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Here, have one (that was actually listed in the related articles on that) that actually is functional, although certainly not pretty: http://makezine.com/2013/02/08/teen-cre ... hetic-arm/

Then again, there's always using the Aimee Mullins approach to prosthetics, and change them out based on the situation:

(Also, I'm surprised that Emi hasn't pulled an Aimee Mullins herself to get taller prosthetic legs, given her height complex...)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Here, have one (that was actually listed in the related articles on that) that actually is functional, although certainly not pretty: http://makezine.com/2013/02/08/teen-cre ... hetic-arm/

Then again, there's always using the Aimee Mullins approach to prosthetics, and change them out based on the situation:

(Also, I'm surprised that Emi hasn't pulled an Aimee Mullins herself to get taller prosthetic legs, given her height complex...)
See, those arms look super cool to me. The guy's basically a cyborg, how neat is that?!*

As for Emi, I feel like if she got money she might get more, but she doesn't care enough about appearances to go all out on another pair just for something like that.

*Obviously not having arms isn't something to envy, but if you have to not have them, then that's the stylish new way to do it if you ask me.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Atario

Post by Atario »

I could definitely see Miki going exactly this route, eventually. Gotta be better than the bandage.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

SpunkySix wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Here, have one (that was actually listed in the related articles on that) that actually is functional, although certainly not pretty: http://makezine.com/2013/02/08/teen-cre ... hetic-arm/

See, those arms look super cool to me. The guy's basically a cyborg, how neat is that?!*

As for Emi, I feel like if she got money she might get more, but she doesn't care enough about appearances to go all out on another pair just for something like that.

*Obviously not having arms isn't something to envy, but if you have to not have them, then that's the stylish new way to do it if you ask me.
Once the technology is sufficiently advanced, I'd lop off my arms for these. :lol: And I'm still disappointed that we never see Miki with a hook or a spatula or anything.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Khalego wrote: Once the technology is sufficiently advanced, I'd lop off my arms for these. :lol: And I'm still disappointed that we never see Miki with a hook or a spatula or anything.
Miki and Emi sailing the high seas would be amazing. Just imagine the pirate tunes they'd sing though.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.