Ever stop and realize how many bad endings happen every day?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Ever stop and realize how many bad endings happen every day?

Post by SpunkySix »

Think about it. The bad endings in KS and all VNs like it involve a nasty break up that leaves both parties in likely a much worse spot than they were before mentally and emotionally and kills a potential life-long love due to what is usually a small but vital misunderstanding or miscommunication of sorts. Think about how painful it can be to even read about a situation like that. Now think about how much this happens all the time, everywhere.

Kind of puts things into perspective a little bit, huh? Like... what if there was some way to get the "good ending" out of these relationships, and a decent portion of these people are just making that single wrong choice near the end*? Doesn't that make it seem so much worse than the "oh they'll get over it" so many people tend to brush that kind of thing off with when it doesn't involve them?

*Or as early as act 2 in some cases. Whatever.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Re: Ever stop and realize how many bad endings happen every

Post by brythain »

Or you can use your Godcanon cannon and blow open a plothole to work out how some bad endings can be turned good in some other way...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Wrong forums for this, i'm afraid
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Wow, that's... kind of a sobering thought. Similarly though, think about how many good endings there are across the world right now. Granted, a true good end is more difficult to achieve than a true bad end, but a bad end now can lead to a good end in a few years time. (Unfortunately, this can work the other way around too.)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

In the real world, it is impossible to achieve a good end.
Achieving what would amount to a good end in a VN just means that from this point on you have to work constantly to keep the relationship going, and even is you do, success is not guaranteed...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Mirage_GSM wrote:In the real world, it is impossible to achieve a good end.
Achieving what would amount to a good end in a VN just means that from this point on you have to work constantly to keep the relationship going, and even if you do, success is not guaranteed...
By then, things would probably just end up as a normal relationship with its ups and downs. I suppose it depends on your definition of a 'good' end, and reaching that stage of 'keeping it stable' is more realistic than, let's say, being unbelievably and blissfully happy after one large relationship-related complication.

It doesn't hurt to hope, though. :?
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

In real life, a bad end is not really an end either. Life simply goes on and contrary to the fanfiction universe, I see very few people moping for the rest of their life about a releationship that went bad years ago.

Moral of the thread: try not to see real-life relationships in VN terms.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Frankly, the only good end in life (in regard to relationships) is the death of either person while the relationship is still on good terms.

Otherwise, one of two things happen:

- The relationship goes bad and ends on bad terms. (Bad end)

- The relationship continues on good terms. (Not an end at all, but an ongoing story)
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

That's a rather depressing way to think about it.
Not Dead Yet
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

In my relationships I've had some nasty blow-ups, Hanako-bad-ending class. Likewise for my friends. But if the fundamentals of the relationship are strong and the people are willing to try to work things through, relationship breaks can be overcome.

Just like true good endings are very rare, true bad endings are rare.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote:

- The relationship continues on good terms. (Not an end at all, but an ongoing story)
Relationships can end on good terms too. You can reach an amicable decision to end it, and can remain on good terms too.
Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote:

Relationships can end on good terms too. You can reach an amicable decision to end it, and can remain on good terms too.
That would be a relationship continuing on good terms. Friendship is still a form of relationship. Though in KS terms, I guess those would be neutral ends...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote:

That would be a relationship continuing on good terms. Friendship is still a form of relationship. Though in KS terms, I guess those would be neutral ends...
I'm interested in this discussion in KS terms.

It strikes me that if you follow everyone's relationships into the long term (say a few decades ahead), some will face early loss, some will find the world a bit too much. But one thing I suspect is that Yamaku alumni will stick together much more than most other alumni — Japan is a relatively small place relative to the States or Canada; it's more like the UK in terms of living space, and with more pressures for mutual help groups to form where the less-able are concerned.

There's a lot of potential for good endings, or at least not outright bad endings. What we would call neutral endings with some hope in them, I guess.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Potato wrote:
You break up with our other half, you don't describe still being friends with them as a 'relationship' because you'll confuse the hell out of people.
brythain

Post by brythain »

metalangel wrote:
Potato wrote:
You break up with our other half, you don't describe still being friends with them as a 'relationship' because you'll confuse the hell out of people.
I think those people deserve to be confused. The whole idea of 'relationship' is a simple one, but people have made it seem as if it is a specific kind of relationship without actually being able to specify it (apart from the endemic 'you know what I mean' arch description). Ex-partner-but-now-just-friends is still a relationship, so too bad if someone else reads more than that into 'relationship'. As in that daft phrase 'in a relationship' — there are precious few people who aren't.